• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
He is the only character in the Mario series to lack this tab, which displays other characters from the series, and after looking back he doesn't appear in "Friends" for any other Mario characters. He's even missing from Wario's Friends list. The only exception randomly enough is the Koopalings, who were neglected by Nintendo for decades before making a resurgence in the Wii era. Although, judging by the fact Waluigi does not have them on his page, it seems he does not return their friendship.
So the takeaway here is Waluigi has no friends and the only people who want to be his friends he doesn't care for.
I feel like it can be alternatively interpretted as "Wario and Waluigi are not in the buddy-buddy relationship, but more like partner for benefit, which does not mean "friends"".

Here's an interview I found with Toshiharu Izuno on the Japanese Nintendo website from 2000, which discusses Waluigi's creation, personality and style of play. Excuse the extremely rough/hilarious google translation.
Thanx for this source.

Cannot say I appreciate the concept, tho. I wish that they immediately began a plan to tell how did Luigi and Waluigi's rivalry began. Now it seems to late as LM games has successfully established King Boo's image as Luigi's main rival in big times.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I feel like it can be alternatively interpretted as "Wario and Waluigi are not in the buddy-buddy relationship, but more like partner for benefit, which does not mean "friends"".

Thanx for this source.

Cannot say I appreciate the concept, tho. I wish that they immediately began a plan to tell how did Luigi and Waluigi's rivalry began. Now it seems to late as LM games has successfully established King Boo's image as Luigi's main rival in big times.
I wouldn't say King Boo is Luigi's rival. He is more like his enemy, that's not the same. Waluigi is to Luigi what Wario is to Mario, and King Boo is to Luigi what Bowser is to Mario: that's two different roles.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say King Boo is Luigi's rival. He is more like his enemy, that's not the same. Waluigi is to Luigi what Wario is to Mario, and King Boo is to Luigi what Bowser is to Mario: that's two different roles.
Well I see your point. I'd say a character can have multiple enemies, so can Luigi.

My point is that LM wasn't there at that point. It would had been nice if Myamoto set a plan and made use of the right time before it becomes late.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'd love to see waluigi be in a LM game. Not only to establish him in Mario proper but I always though it would be cool to make him work like the scissor man from clock tower, where examining furniture has a chance of causing waluigi to pop out and begin stalking the player untill they can successfully hide from or chase him off using environmental tools.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I guess it's now between Waluigi and Geno.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

I guess it's now between Waluigi and Geno.
I believe they're both getting picked, initially Sakurai wasn't planning on a second Fighter Pass, they would've been bonus Fighters instead, but now Geno has a full Fighter Pack, while Waluigi is joining Smash in his own individual DLC pack similar to P. Plant.

They wouldn't plan on adding Waluigi, than completely scrap him when Fighter Pass 2 came along.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I believe they're both getting picked, initially Sakurai wasn't planning on a second Fighter Pass, they would've been bonus Fighters instead, but now Geno has a full Fighter Pack, while Waluigi is joining Smash in his own individual DLC pack similar to P. Plant.

They wouldn't plan on adding Waluigi, than completely scrap him when Fighter Pass 2 came along.
We don't know if bonus fighters are even a thing. Last time Sakurai spoke about this he said there is no further content planned after Fighters Pass 2. Until it's confirmed I see no reason to entertain the idea of a bonus fighter.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
We don't know if bonus fighters are even a thing. Last time Sakurai spoke about this he said there is no further content planned after Fighters Pass 2. Until it's confirmed I see no reason to entertain the idea of a bonus fighter.
Yes we do.
Bonus content isn't new to Smash, we had:
Piranha Plant
Stage Builder (yes I know it was supposed to be in the base game but they could've easily made it payed DLC, just look at Ultimate Tekken Bowl in Tekken 7).
Homerun contest (same as Stage Builder)
Small Battlefield

And that's just Ultimate.

In Smash 4 we had bonus stages for both Wii U and 3DS.
And Mewtwo was the bonus fighter for Smash 4.

Point is, bonus fighters are already a thing, yes Nintendo didn't officially announce them alongside Fighter Pass 2, but that's the idea, they're not supposed to.
You only announce these things at the right time, because they're not tied to a bundle like Season Passes.

Edit: and btw, just remember that there was a time when people didn't believe in a second DLC season due to Sakurai saying there aren't any plans to continue DLC after the first Fighter Pass.

I have been saying this since the very beginning, I used to post on gamefaqs, and the moment Fighter Pass 1 was announced, I knew there had to be a second.

I'm certain we're getting bonus content outside Fighter Pass 2, and Waluigi is there as a fighter.
It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Yes we do.
Bonus content isn't new to Smash, we had:
Piranha Plant
Stage Builder (yes I know it was supposed to be in the base game but they could've easily made it payed DLC, just look at Ultimate Tekken Bowl in Tekken 7).
Homerun contest (same as Stage Builder)
Small Battlefield

And that's just Ultimate.

In Smash 4 we had bonus stages for both Wii U and 3DS.
And Mewtwo was the bonus fighter for Smash 4.

Point is, bonus fighters are already a thing, yes Nintendo didn't officially announce them alongside Fighter Pass 2, but that's the idea, they're not supposed to.
You only announce these things at the right time, because they're not tied to a bundle like Season Passes.
Most of those stuff were introduced early in the game's life, less than a year after the game's release. Homerun contest was the last new "mode" according to Sakurai. For the case of Piranha Plant there is evidence in the game files that the character was originally planned to be in the base roster but was moved as DLC due to time constraints. Small Battlefield doesn't require that much development since it's battlefield but with two platforms instead of 3, which is less extensive and resourceful than a playable fighter, which takes months to develop.

Bonus fighters are stuff you get early on and not two years after the game has released. I really don't see why Nintendo and Sakurai would interrupt their Season Pass format and drop a random character in for no reason. Chances are they'd just make the character part of the pass instead of selling them individually.

Could it happen? Maybe, but hoping for it to happen is just praying to the void. There is nothing to indicate it could happen besides a mix of optimism and blind faith. I choose to believe Sakurai's statement that there is nothing planned after fighters pass 2. I see the second pass as Waluigi's last shot for Ultimate (unless they announce a third fighters pass but I doubt it), if he doesn't make it in now then that's it until the next Smash game.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Most of those stuff were introduced early in the game's life, less than a year after the game's release. Homerun contest was the last new "mode" according to Sakurai. For the case of Piranha Plant there is evidence in the game files that the character was originally planned to be in the base roster but was moved as DLC due to time constraints. Small Battlefield doesn't require that much development since it's battlefield but with two platforms instead of 3, which is less extensive and resourceful than a playable fighter, which takes months to develop.

Bonus fighters are stuff you get early on and not two years after the game has released.
I really don't see why Nintendo and Sakurai would interrupt their Season Pass format and drop a random character in for no reason. Chances are they'd just make the character part of the pass instead of selling them individually.

Could it happen? Maybe, but hoping for it to happen is just praying to the void. There is nothing to indicate it could happen besides a mix of optimism and blind faith. I choose to believe Sakurai's statement that there is nothing planned after fighters pass 2. I see the second pass as Waluigi's last shot for Ultimate (unless they announce a third fighters pass but I doubt it), if he doesn't make it in now then that's it until the next Smash game.
Then what if I told you that Waluigi in particular, wouldn't be a waste of resources as a bonus fighter since he already has a working model?
His model is ancient, he's a Brawl AT.

And he works best as a bonus than as part of the Fighter Pass.
Nintendo owns the rights of the character, so no licensing hoops to go through, it's free money.

You're choosing to believe Sakurai's statement as if he never went back and changed his stance on Smash multiple times in the past.

Just remember that before Fighter Pass 1 was announced, Sakurai released a book in which he literally said that he doesn't like, and would much prefer to not continue releasing DLC for a finished game, and move on to the next project.
Many interpreted that as no DLC for Ultimate or no Fighter Pass 2 at least, especially after he also said to not expect too many characters (remember that?).

And no, this is it for Waluigi, if he doesn't make it in now he never will, unless Nintendo decides to release Smash Ultimate Deluxe.

There won't be a Smash 6.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Then what if I told you that Waluigi in particular, wouldn't be a waste of resources as a bonus fighter since he already has a working model?

Nintendo owns the rights of the character, so no licensing hoops to go through, it's free money.

You're choosing to believe Sakurai's statement as if he never went back and changed his stance on Smash multiple times in the past.

Just remember that before Fighter Pass 1 was announced, Sakurai released a book in which he literally said that he doesn't like, and would much prefer to not continue releasing DLC for a finished game, and move on to the next project.
Many interpreted that as no DLC for Ultimate or no Fighter Pass 2 at least, especially after he also said to not expect too many characters (remember that?).

And no, this is it for Waluigi, if he doesn't make it in now he never will, unless Nintendo decides to release Smash Ultimate Deluxe.

I do agree with your for the most part here - but I can't help but find it a little hypocritical that you'd bring up that Sakurai changes his stance on Smash a lot then say that there can't be another Smash game. There's all sorts of ways for a Smash 7 to happen, though a lot of them aren't preferable (Sakurai has stated interest in giving the series a decade-long hiatus, explained that future games probably can't do a roster SSBU's size let alone Everyone is Here, and of course it's 100% possible for Nintendo to give the reigns to someone else, a Wii Smash game was announced before Sakurai was even on board remember - as controversial as this is to say, Sakurai isn't the only person who could make a great Smash game, and Smash can certainly survive and thrive without him, even if it'd be harder for it to do so.)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Then what if I told that Waluigi in particular, wouldn't be a waste of resources as a bonus fighter since he already has a working model?

No way is Smash ending after Ultimate. Even after Sakurai retires they're still gonna keep making games, Smash is too popular to let go due to one director. As for the Waluigi AT model, although it cuts on some work there will still be a lot of resource usage due to the devs having to create tons of animations and moves, not to mention the testing process that goes before releasing the character. Creating an entirely unique character is much different than just removing one platform off Battlefield.

Again, there is nothing that is pointing towards a bonus fighter. This isn't just related to Smash, every fighting game on the market releases DLC in models of passes to sell things better. Bonus fighters are announced close to the game's release and not years after the game has already released. If it happens then great! But the lack of evidence doesn't really show why I should believe in the idea of a bonus fighter, to me it just seems like wishful thinking.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I do agree with your for the most part here - but I can't help but find it a little hypocritical that you'd bring up that Sakurai changes his stance on Smash a lot then say that there can't be another Smash game. There's all sorts of ways for a Smash 7 to happen, though a lot of them aren't preferable (Sakurai has stated interest in giving the series a decade-long hiatus, explained that future games probably can't do a roster SSBU's size let alone Everyone is Here, and of course it's 100% possible for Nintendo to give the reigns to someone else, a Wii Smash game was announced before Sakurai was even on board remember - as controversial as this is to say, Sakurai isn't the only person who could make a great Smash game, and Smash can certainly survive and thrive without him, even if it'd be harder for it to do so.)
Actually, I don't think there's going to be a Smash 6 because of a gut feeling.

It has nothing to do with Sakurai retiring, or Smash Ultimate raising the bar too high.

I just have this feeling that this is really the end for Smash, like actual IRL end.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
No way is Smash ending after Ultimate. Even after Sakurai retires they're still gonna keep making games, Smash is too popular to let go due to one director. As for the Waluigi AT model, although it cuts on some work there will still be a lot of resource usage due to the devs having to create tons of animations and moves, not to mention the testing process that goes before releasing the character. Creating an entirely unique character is much different than just removing one platform off Battlefield.

Again, there is nothing that is pointing towards a bonus fighter. This isn't just related to Smash, every fighting game on the market releases DLC in models of passes to sell things better. Bonus fighters are announced close to the game's release and not years after the game has already released. If it happens then great! But the lack of evidence doesn't really show why I should believe in the idea of a bonus fighter, to me it just seems like wishful thinking.
Dude listen, I don't need you to tell me how seasonal passes work, I play other fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, and BlazBlue.
Smash is new to this season format.
I know how these things work out, I've been in the Smash speculation scene for over 15+ years now.
And I can assure you, as a Waluigi fan since Mario Kart Double Dash, that in his 20 years of existence as part of the Mario cast, things have never been in his favor as much as they do now.
If you've been keeping watch and observing you'll know what I'm talking about.

If by some chance Waluigi doesn't make it in as a bonus, then it's officially over for us.
But I'm 90% confident that his time is near, we just have to wait.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Dude listen, I don't need you to tell me how seasonal passes work, I play other fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, and BlazBlue.
Smash is new to this season format.
I know how these things work out, I've been in the Smash speculation scene for over 15+ years now.
And I can assure you, as a Waluigi fan since Mario Kart Double Dash, that in his 20 years of existence as part of the Mario cast, things have never been in his favor as much as they do now.
If you've been keeping watch and observing you'll know what I'm talking about.

If by some chance Waluigi doesn't make it in as a bonus, then it's officially over for us.
But I'm 90% confident that his time is near, we just have to wait.
I don't think I have ever posted here but if we take the time to look at it, it's not outlandish to see why bonuses are pretty unlikely.

For a start it's really safe to say that Sakurai never planned bonuses when first panning out the pass and they would not be introduced until after the pass. It makes zilch sense to do a character alongside another character who is apart of the pass. So then we have to take into consideration what Sakurai said. He flat out said that Season 2 is the last of the DLC and that these would be the final 6 characters we are getting. Sakurai never says something to the effect of 'it can't happen' within one smash lifespan and then completely contradict it within that span. For example Ridley wasn't added to Smash 4 after Sakurai said things to that effect. That was also the most conclusive he has been when not only it comes to addressing additional DLC but just things in general. Sakurai has gradually been coming up to fully killing the chance of anything else other than what we have been promised and the third was the one that put the nail in the coffin. If Waluigi gets in it will have to be part of the pass there is practically no question.

There is honestly more going against bonus fighters now and there is absolutely nothing which suggests we are getting them. We should try and subvert expectations especially if it's a topic that the director himself has addressed. I also saw the point made that it's free money. Yeah it is but so is practically anything that comes as paid DLC. Smash has to end at some point so free money isn't a factor here especially when it's not as much free money as one may think when more goes into making these characters than Sakurai being given no bounds when it comes to first parties when that's not the case. If Waluigi gets in he will be part of the pass even if he doesn't fit the formula as well as other characters, they will just find a way to make it work.

Also you should try to avoid double posts mods don't like them for whatever reason

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I have ever posted here but if we take the time to look at it, it's not outlandish to see why bonuses are pretty unlikely.

For a start it's really safe to say that Sakurai never planned bonuses when first panning out the pass and they would not be introduced until after the pass. It makes zilch sense to do a character alongside another character who is apart of the pass. So then we have to take into consideration what Sakurai said. He flat out said that Season 2 is the last of the DLC and that these would be the final 6 characters we are getting. Sakurai never says something to the effect of 'it can't happen' within one smash lifespan and then completely contradict it within that span. For example Ridley wasn't added to Smash 4 after Sakurai said things to that effect. That was also the most conclusive he has been when not only it comes to addressing additional DLC but just things in general. Sakurai has gradually been coming up to fully killing the chance of anything else other than what we have been promised and the third was the one that put the nail in the coffin. If Waluigi gets in it will have to be part of the pass there is practically no question.

There is honestly more going against bonus fighters now and there is absolutely nothing which suggests we are getting them. We should try and subvert expectations especially if it's a topic that the director himself has addressed. I also saw the point made that it's free money. Yeah it is but so is practically anything that comes as paid DLC. Smash has to end at some point so free money isn't a factor here especially when it's not as much free money as one may think when more goes into making these characters than Sakurai being given no bounds when it comes to first parties when that's not the case. If Waluigi gets in he will be part of the pass even if he doesn't fit the formula as well as other characters, they will just find a way to make it work.

Also you should try to avoid double posts mods don't like them for whatever reason
Don't tell me what to do, if you want to subvert your expectations, then good for you.

Me? Nah, I've been like this since way way back, when my most wanteds were Wario and Sonic, and I'm not about to change when Waluigi is right around the corner to break every established rule in Smash.

If he doesn't make it now (which I'm pretty confident is super unlikely btw), then it is what it is I guess.

It's only a matter of (Waluigi) time.
20200713_192214.jpg

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Don't tell me what to do, if you want to subvert your expectations, then good for you.

Me? Nah, I've been like this since way way back, when my most wanteds were Wario and Sonic, and I'm not about to change when Waluigi is right around the corner to break every established rule in Smash.

If he doesn't make it now (which I'm pretty confident is super unlikely btw), then it is what it is I guess.

It's only a matter of (Waluigi) time.
View attachment 283545
I'm not trying to convince anyone to subvert expectations just think it's an idea worth considering, I'm just saying if we decide to look at this from a completely objective standpoint without us taking any bias for additional content into consideration with only what we know then it isn't on bonus contents side. Looking at it like that means it's safer to just expect what has been promised. Fact is we don't know if Waluigi is happening but without us taking any hope or preferences into account it will most likely have to be in the fighters pass. You do you but like others have pointed out, the lack of strong points even when you responded to me is a testament to what the ideology of bonus fighters is based on which, like another user in the thread said, is optimism and blind faith. Again, you do you but trying to convince others with a lack of compelling points isn't exactly going to convince anyone. Waluigi definitely is in contention along with Geno but I and most others think it's part of the pass or nothing

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to subvert anyone's expectations, I'm just saying if we decide to look at this from a completely objective standpoint without us taking any bias for additional content into consideration with only what we know then it isn't on bonus contents side. Looking at it like that means it's safer to just expect what has been promised. Fact is we don't know if Waluigi is happening but without us taking any hope or preferences into account it will have to be in the fighters pass. You do you but low others have pointed out, the lack of strong points even when you responded to me is a testament to what the ideology of bonus fighters is based on which, like another user in the thread said, is optimism and blind faith. Again, you do you but trying to convince others with a lack of compelling points isn't exactly going to convince anyone. Waluigi definitely is in contention along with Geno but I and most others think it's part of the pass or nothing
I get what you're saying, Waluigi doesn't have any concrete evidence or official statements that back his case.
And that's totally fair.

But what I'm doing is different, I look for signs, dog whistles, and any new developments for Waluigi in his own series.
Then I bring in the facts, and cross check my findings.

Like this:

Fact #1 Waluigi is a 1st party Nintendo character.

Fact #2 Waluigi is a main Mario character, albeit Second Class or B-Tier.

Fact #3 Waluigi is a Brawl AT, he already has a fully functioning model.

Fact #4 Waluigi is currently the most wanted Nintendo character for Smash.

Fact #5 Waluigi won an official Nintendo Valentine's Day poll by a landslide, securing over 1 million votes over the likes of Mario, Peach, Link, and Isabelle.

Fact #6 Waluigi was directly mentioned by Nintendo on the subject of his absence from Smash Ultimate 4 times, 2 of em were from then President of NoA Reggie Fils-aime.

And so on.

There's also a lot of weird stuff happening, like the Paragon leak, Legacy XP, and the sudden love Waluigi received from Nintendo in other games like Super Mario Party, Mario Kart Tour, etc, without even mentioning his name in the context of Smash unless they were asked directly on the matter.

Point I'm trying to make is:
20200713_192214.jpg

20200208_150955.png

12_waluigi01.jpg

EbF6zpMVAAAVK0t.jpeg.jpg

This ain't no chair theory.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I get what you're saying, Waluigi doesn't have any concrete evidence or official statements that back his case.
And that's totally fair.

But what I'm doing is different, I look for signs, dog whistles, and any new developments for Waluigi in his own series.

Like this:

Fact #5 Waluigi won an official Nintendo Valentine's Day poll by a landslide, securing over 1 million votes over the likes of Mario, Peach, Link, and Isabelle.

Fact #6 Waluigi was directly mentioned by Nintendo on the subject of his absence from Smash Ultimate 4 times, 2 of em were from then President of NoA Reggie Fils-aime.

And so on.

There's also a lot of weird stuff happening, like the Paragon leak, Legacy XP, and the sudden love Waluigi received from Nintendo in other games like Super Mario Party, Mario Kart Tour, etc, without even mentioning his name in the context of Smash unless they were asked directly on the matter.

View attachment 283558
View attachment 283559
View attachment 283560
View attachment 283561
No that's not at all what I'm saying in fact I said the complete opposite at the end of my post. I'm just talking specifically about characters outside of the 6 we were promised. Ironically enough Waluigi is one of the only characters who have official statements backing them.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
There has been no official confirmation nor conclusion that Smash 6 will never happen.
Actually, I don't think there's going to be a Smash 6 because of a gut feeling.

It has nothing to do with Sakurai retiring, or Smash Ultimate raising the bar too high.

I just have this feeling that this is really the end for Smash, like actual IRL end.

Purpleztar

Smash Rookie
And that's totally fair.

Like this:

And so on.

View attachment 283558
View attachment 283559
View attachment 283560
View attachment 283561
You forgot to mention the Mario sports trademark that happen recently. Which makes me think he's not a bonus, but rather he'll come with Mario sport related music and stuff in pass 2.

Edit: Oh also the Nintendo tweet on the Pokemon tweet.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
You forgot to mention the Mario sports trademark that happen recently. Which makes me think he's not a bonus, but rather he'll come with Mario sport related music and stuff in pass 2.

Edit: Oh also the Nintendo tweet on the Pokemon tweet.
I've already spoke about someone who weirdly brought this up in another thread, but they wouldn't make a trademark just so they can add Waluigi in Smash. The fact that it apparently didn't even exist up to that point would make it rather weird for him to bring along something which was trademarked just for him in pass 2. Even if it did exist, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been 10 years since Mario Sport Mix for 3DS released so it wouldn't be an automatic renewal. Probably just realised they never licensed the name despite officially using it so they quickly out their foot in the door with it and just trademarked it. This is coming from someone with little legal knowledge but it's stuff I've picked up on so I may be wrongly misinterpreting but I digress.

I'm not saying that just to be a downer too, I honestly hate the idea of Waluigi JUST representing the sports games when if this trademark was for him in Smash that would practically kill any chances of his stage being Waluigi Pinball which I feel honestly has to be his stage.

Last edited:

Purpleztar

Smash Rookie
I've already spoke about someone who weirdly brought this up in another thread, but they wouldn't make a trademark just so they can add Waluigi in Smash. The fact that it apparently didn't even exist up to that point would make it rather weird for him to bring along something which was trademarked just for him in pass 2. Even if it did exist, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been 10 years since Mario Sport Mix for 3DS released so it wouldn't be an automatic renewal. Probably just realised they never licensed the name despite officially using it so they quickly out their foot in the door with it and just trademarked it. This is coming from someone with little legal knowledge but it's stuff I've picked up on so I may be wrongly misinterpreting but I digress.

I'm not saying that just to be a downer too, I honestly hate the idea of Waluigi JUST representing the sports games when if this trademark was for him in Smash that would practically kill any chances of his stage being Waluigi Pinball which I feel honestly has to be his stage.
It could tie into smash. There’s two Mario series in smash. The Mario series and the Mario kart series. So maybe they’ll add the Mario sports series next.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
It could tie into smash. There’s two Mario series in smash. The Mario series and the Mario kart series. So maybe they’ll add the Mario sports series next.
But that would suggest it would be added for the sole purpose of Waluigi in Smash while Mario Kart is already it's own thing. And not to mention how series that would fit under this hypothetical series are already represented as their own game. So I wouldn't exactly say that it could tie into smash when he would just represent the Mario series. He most likely wouldn't represent it and would just represent Mario so it doesn't exactly mean much.

Purpleztar

Smash Rookie
But that would suggest it would be added for the sole purpose of Waluigi in Smash while Mario Kart is already it's own thing. And not to mention how series that would fit under this hypothetical series are already represented as their own game. So I wouldn't exactly say that it could tie into smash when he would just represent the Mario series. He most likely wouldn't represent it and would just represent Mario so it doesn't exactly mean much.
And maybe they’ll do that. I don’t see why not. It makes sense to have him rep the Mario sports, he debuted in a sport game. Hell, his assist trophy already references that.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
And maybe they’ll do that. I don’t see why not. It makes sense to have him rep the Mario sports, he debuted in a sport game. Hell, his assist trophy already references that.
That's not really my point. Sure he could be made to represent the sports game but they wouldn't go through all the hoops just to give Waluigi a distinct series when they would just have him represent the Mario series, not needlessly license an IP which didn't even exist previously JUST for smash. It would be for a new game under the moniker if anything but it won't be for smash when he would be from the Mario series

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else thinking that it might be the purple man’s time to shine? With a smash reveal seemingly coming soon, there’s a Mario tennis aces tournament right around the corner, the Mario anniversary coming up, and the 20 year anniversary of Mario Tennis/Waluigi just passed by recently.. I feel like all of this combined with rumors/leaks (para leak) from the past few years has me thinking Waluigi might actually get in. Obviously There’s a lot pointing towards other characters like Geno too, so we will just have to see. It’s just exciting to me that for the first time in awhile Waluigi seems like a possible choice.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else thinking that it might be the purple man’s time to shine? With a smash reveal seemingly coming soon, there’s a Mario tennis aces tournament right around the corner, the Mario anniversary coming up, and the 20 year anniversary of Mario Tennis/Waluigi just passed by recently.. I feel like all of this combined with rumors/leaks (para leak) from the past few years has me thinking Waluigi might actually get in. Obviously There’s a lot pointing towards other characters like Geno too, so we will just have to see. It’s just exciting to me that for the first time in awhile Waluigi seems like a possible choice.
To me personally, Waluigi became inevitable ever since the uproar his deconfirmation caused in E3 2018.
Because since then, a lot of things have happened in his favor.
I firmly believe we'll see Waluigi as a fighter in Ultimate before 2020 ends.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
To me personally, Waluigi became inevitable ever since the uproar his deconfirmation caused in E3 2018.
Because since then, a lot of things have happened in his favor.
I firmly believe we'll see Waluigi as a fighter in Ultimate before 2020 ends.
That’s what I think too. It’s just weird that as time has gone on I rarely see him talked about compared to Geno, Dante, Crash, etc. I always thought Waluigi was one of the most popular picks remaining but the Internet seems to imply otherwise a lot of the time. Though, that could just be because Waluigi is more popular to the general population rather than the inner circles of speculation.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That’s what I think too. It’s just weird that as time has gone on I rarely see him talked about compared to Geno, Dante, Crash, etc. I always thought Waluigi was one of the most popular picks remaining but the Internet seems to imply otherwise a lot of the time. Though, that could just be because Waluigi is more popular to the general population rather than the inner circles of speculation.
Yeah, pretty much. Most (open) Waluigi supporters are casual fans and kids who wouldn't care for looking up leaks or speculation. I say "open" because Waluigi has a huge stigma surrounding him in hardcore Smash fandom, born mostly from contrarianism...

but it's not like a character stigmatised by the force of contrarianism or disregarded as a "meme" hasn't made it in before...

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Whether he's challenger 7 or 11, I think we'll see Waluigi by the time all of this is said and done. Personally I think he'll be the final character or a surprise bonus at the end, but either way I think the Wah will soon have his day!
I just have a gut feeling that he’s either FP7 or a bonus at some point. I’m really leaning towards him being a bonus fighter, I don’t know why. That’s just my hunch, even though we don’t know that there will be more bonus fighters...

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Whether he's challenger 7 or 11, I think we'll see Waluigi by the time all of this is said and done. Personally I think he'll be the final character or a surprise bonus at the end, but either way I think the Wah will soon have his day!
I might have said this before but as it currently stands I think his pass chances are kinda swingy, anything could happen but im not feeling too confident he just feels like more of a ridley/krool base game type addition to me. But if we get more dlc confirmed I think waluigi is practically a lock. Im fairly confident many of the other popular picks in line are making it Into this one putting him in a perfect position for promotion moving forward.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I could see him just being a base roster fighter in the next game, but I really hope that that isn’t the case. Smash is my favorite game of all time, and Waluigi is my favorite Nintendo character. I have been waiting for over a decade for this man to be playable, I really don’t want to bank on him being base roster for next game. I feel like every time he has been an AT in a previous title the speculation suggests that he’s a lock for the next game, and every time he’s an AT again. This time finally feels different though after the E3 2018 outrage... I think we will finally see the Wah get his chance, especially after Reggie acknowledged the fan outcry- that really felt like a “we will see what we can do, but it’s up to Sakurai”. Basically I think that outcry was enough to ignite a change in Nintendo’s, and maybe Sakurai’s views on Waluigi, making him not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN. I just really hope that he’s DLC for ultimate because who knows when the next game will come out. Waluigi and his fans really deserve a shot to play has him in Ultimate, and I will continue to hold onto the little bit of hope I have

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I have been waiting for over a decade for this man to be playable, I really don’t want to bank on him being base roster for next game.

Reggie acknowledged the fan outcry
Every fanbase on this forum feels the same, tho.

Beside, with Smash 5 being Everyone edition, adding new entries to big series is already a very difficult task. So far, I think it's acceptable for Nintendo to go for more new series for this round.

My complaint about the statement is that we don't see NIntendo do take it into action after they knew Waluigi has a great demand. He is not in LM3, not in Origami King, not even in any new port. I don't know, it feels just like NIntendo indirectly admit they do ignore fancry.

Nothing mario sports related in the direct. Interesting.
Sport?

If talking about Waluigi not having a big role in the anniversary reveals, my dissapointment could be that NIntendo missed the best opportunity to count in SM64DS port (which only turns out to be SM64 original version) and add Waluigi as the fourth cap character. It's sad third time is still not a charm for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom