• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Yes, with the imminent fighter reveal, the “autumn of sports”, and the Mario 35th anniversary it’s all coming together finally. I’m not going to lie, Waluigi’s chances feel pretty good to me right now.

Even if Waluigi doesn’t end up being the next fighter, I still feel like those tweets are leading up to a new Mario sports game. I mean why else would the 35th anniversary account be doing an “autumn of sports”, when they have tons of other games that they could be tweeting about.

And if we DO end up getting a new Mario sports game, what better way to promote it than by releasing Waluigi for smash alongside it with a themed alt based around that sport!

One thing that is a little interesting is that they haven’t tweeted about Mario hoops 3 on 3 yet; I wouldn’t mind a new one of those. Square Enix has also been pretty active with Nintendo lately, so it wouldn’t surprise me. I’d rather have strikers or golf but I do think hoops 3 on 3 has a lot of potential and is slept on in general.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Football is a sport that you mostly play during summer and autumn so you can consider that as a "autumn sport" I hope they consider fighting as an autumn sport as well
I think we are going to get a new Mario Strikers game very soon (and that's like the best Mario series) and no one will doubt the existence of God ever again if we get Mario Strikers AND Waluigi in Smash...
Well I was justing thinking that it all lines up. Autumn of sports, the next fighter is going to be in autumn, and the Mario tournament is in autumn. Interesting.

Pray for your boi, guys! 🙏

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The thing that gets me about the Mario Sports trademark is the ambiguity. I can't imagine Nintendo tilting a game "Mario Sports" and nothing else - my best guesses are: A. the crossover screen at the end of a Waluigi Smash reveal, or B. some sort of shared branding - like the next Mario Kart, next Mario Tennis, etc. all have a logo saying "Mario Sports" at the bottom right of their box art or something like that.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
The thing that gets me about the Mario Sports trademark is the ambiguity. I can't imagine Nintendo tilting a game "Mario Sports" and nothing else - my best guesses are: A. the crossover screen at the end of a Waluigi Smash reveal, or B. some sort of shared branding - like the next Mario Kart, next Mario Tennis, etc. all have a logo saying "Mario Sports" at the bottom right of their box art or something like that.
Yeah I agree, I always thought it wasn’t a game. A little too bland for a title. There something else to it.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Oh, that’s interesting. I hadn’t considered the possibility that they would trademark it for “Smash bro’s x Mario Sports”. That would be perfect for Waluigi especially if he was designed to represent the sports spin-offs like a lot of us have been thinking.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Oh, that’s interesting. I hadn’t considered the possibility that they would trademark it for “Smash bro’s x Mario Sports”. That would be perfect for Waluigi especially if he was designed to represent the sports spin-offs like a lot of us have been thinking.
The Mario franchise is represented as two series in smash ultimate. With the Super Mario series and the Mario kart series (the two mushroom icons in the music). So we might get Mario sports as the represented series with Waluigi as the fighter and a stage based on a Mario sport game (probably tennis for obvious reasons) and music from various sport games.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The Mario franchise is represented as two series in smash ultimate. With the Super Mario series and the Mario kart series (the two mushroom icons in the music). So we might get Mario sports as the represented series with Waluigi as the fighter and a stage based on a Mario sport game (probably tennis for obvious reasons) and music from various sport games.
The weird thing is I can just picture that so vividly in my mind. It feels like so close to reality and honestly he just feels so perfect for smash. Please Sakurai, give us Waluigi :(

Yet another Mario sports tweet. Looking back it looks like they worked chronologically up to the most recent game... seems like the perfect build up to revealing a new, current game, if you ask me.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
They didn't talked about Mario Slam Basketball ?
I also think that it's a build up to a new sports game, I hope it's a new Mario Strikers game... and I hope that we will get that Super Smash Bros x Mario Sports thing although it would be a shame if they represent Waluigi with only sports... I want to see his wacky/******* side, I want to see a Waluigi Pinball/Island stage

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
In America, sports tend to start in autumn. At least, the serious seasons do. I might be wrong, because I don't follow sports, but I'm pretty sure autumn is when football (American), baseball, and basketball all begin playoffs. "Autumn of sports" could be a reference to this.

Regardless, I still hope for Wah!
But has Nintendo ever acknowledged that before or this a first for them?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Ohhhh that is interesting. I don’t know much about trademark stuff either but the fact that the Mario Sports one is specifically about electronics/downloads/the name itself does seem interesting given our theory about “Smash Bro’s x Mario Sports”

I like how the Geno and Newcomer threads constantly explode with replies, yet here we are over here quietly and slowly finding really good Waluigi speculation every day for like the past week or 2 lol

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Ohhhh that is interesting. I don’t know much about trademark stuff either but the fact that the Mario Sports one is specifically about electronics/downloads/the name itself does seem interesting given our theory about “Smash Bro’s x Mario Sports”
I find it interesting how it says “downloadable” multiple times, as if it‘s for something digital only.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I like how the Geno and Newcomer threads constantly explode with replies, yet here we are over here quietly and slowly finding really good Waluigi speculation every day for like the past week or 2 lol
that's because these people are conspiracy theorists filled with paranoia who literally write an entire novel about how the pics sakurai posts on internet are teasing some random character and how geno is a lock because his name finish with the letter "o" just like sakurai's first name, masahiro.

some random self-proclaimed insider tweet about a game ? SMRPG REMAKE IS COMING AND GENO IS FP7 !
hw age of calamity is a thing ? WE MIGHT GET ONE OF THE CHAMPIONS AS DLC SOON BECAUSE EVERYTHING MUST RELATE TO SUPER SMASH BROS !
ninja gaiden trilogy ? HAYABUSA IS A LOCK AND HE WILL BE A DLC EVEN THO WE'VE BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE JANUARY 2019 BUT THAT'S BECAUSE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FP5 !
suda51 has "not comment" regarding smash bros ? MAYBE HE IS TEASING TRAVIS (and god knows how badly I want travis in the game...)

now I remember why I'm not into speculation.

I find it interesting how it says “downloadable” multiple times, as if it‘s for something digital only.
if it's really about something downloadable, then it could be a mario sports game with a digital relase only but that would be weird, mario sports games always get a physical release and not just a digital release...

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
if it's really about something downloadable, then it could be a mario sports game with a digital relase only but that would be weird, mario sports games always get a physical release and not just a digital release...
Smash bros dlc is digital only though. ;)

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Smash bros dlc is digital only though. ;)
but how do we know that it is about smash bros ? and what does the screenshots you posted have to do with the trademark ? I've actually never heard about all of this until now since I'm not into speculation at all so if I could get some clarification, it would be nice...

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
but how do we know that it is about smash bros ? and what does the screenshots you posted have to do with the trademark ? I've actually never heard about all of this until now since I'm not into speculation at all so if I could get some clarification, it would be nice...
We don’t actually know if it’s smash or not. We’re just speculating and trying to figure out what this trademark is for. But anyway, here is an article talking about it. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/nintendo_registers_new_mario_sports_trademark

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
So I was thinking this morning, if we combine our speculation regarding the 35th anniversary, autumn of sports, and a possible Mario sports game with the timeline speculation surrounding smash DLC 7, it lines up pretty well for the Wah.

Mario’s 35th anniversary/anniversary smash tournament upcoming
Mario 35th anniversary twitter conducts autumn of sports, seems to be leading up to a possible Mario sports game... they worked their way up chronologically to the most recent Mario sports game. Logically, that would mean the next part of the autumn of sports would be a new game. Maybe next week?
smash DLC 7 is anticipated by many to be revealed this next week
I don’t want to get my hopes up but if we are right about this sports thing this looks really good for Waluigi.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think he’s just always stomped when he loses in something. I don’t think the offensive stomp with intent to cause harm was ever a thing until his Assist Trophy in smash.
So I guess that Waluigi's stomp move debuted in 2008, when his assist trophy first appeared in Brawl. But was it inspired by that aforementioned scene from Jojo?

Here's a short Waluigi animation I made. Waluigi appears briefly at 0:12.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
So I was thinking this morning, if we combine our speculation regarding the 35th anniversary, autumn of sports, and a possible Mario sports game with the timeline speculation surrounding smash DLC 7, it lined up pretty well for the Wah.

I don’t want to get my hopes up but if we are right about this sports thing this looks really good for Waluigi.
I don't want to get my hopes up either because this is just pure speculation but the fact that the JP Mario twitter account keep talking about sports alongside the fact that a Mario tournament in Smash is coming is kinda intriguing... and if the trademark thing that says "download" means something, then it might finally be his time...

But was it inspired by that aforementioned scene from Jojo?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
So if Waluigi does make it in, what are you guys' ideas for a reveal trailer?

Here's my 2 top picks:

1) Short montage of clips of Waluigi being in the various spin-off games, but alone (his friends are implied to be off partaking in Smash bros). For example, show him hitting a tennis ball into the wall by himself over and over, show him driving laps on Waluigi Pinball by himself, all the while looking sad and lonely. Eventually he is walking and is surprised by all of the other Mario characters (the ones that are playable in smash bros) standing before him. They each look at each other, and give a small nod before Mario steps forward to approach Waluigi, and extends an invitation to smash.

2) This one is my personal favorite. Wario is fighting against Mario and Luigi and really struggling. He's on the brink of defeat, until he picks an assist trophy and out comes none other than Waluigi (have him break out of the AT using his normal animation). Mario looks afraid but Luigi says "Luigi not afraid". However, instead of behaving like his normal assist trophy self, Waluigi gives a nod to Wario, strikes a pose and says "Wah!", and Waluigi Pinball starts playing. Luigi realizes that this is not assist trophy Waluigi and is the real deal, and does his signature scream of fear followed by - "Waluigi breaks into the fight!" showing on the screen.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So if Waluigi does make it in, what are you guys' ideas for a reveal trailer?

Here's my 2 top picks:

1) Short montage of clips of Waluigi being in the various spin-off games, but alone (his friends are implied to be off partaking in Smash bros). For example, show him hitting a tennis ball into the wall by himself over and over, show him driving laps on Waluigi Pinball by himself, all the while looking sad and lonely. Eventually he is walking and is surprised by all of the other Mario characters (the ones that are playable in smash bros) standing before him. They each look at each other, and give a small nod before Mario steps forward to approach Waluigi, and extends an invitation to smash.

2) This one is my personal favorite. Wario is fighting against Mario and Luigi and really struggling. He's on the brink of defeat, until he picks an assist trophy and out comes none other than Waluigi (have him break out of the AT using his normal animation). Mario looks afraid but Luigi says "Luigi not afraid". However, instead of behaving like his normal assist trophy self, Waluigi gives a nod to Wario, strikes a pose and says "Wah!", and Waluigi Pinball starts playing. Luigi realizes that this is not assist trophy Waluigi and is the real deal, and does his signature scream of fear followed by - "Waluigi breaks into the fight!" showing on the screen.
There are two Waluigi trailer ideas I adore.

1. Bait and switch, try to genuinely convince people that a really disappointing newcomer (like a new FE rep) will get in, then have Waluigi kick them off the blast zone. Fits Waluigi's trickster nature, and those faces of disappointment transforming into pure hype would be amazing. Also we could get official anime Waluigi, who wouldn't want that?

2. Get Matthew Taranto to do a new, official Waluigi song parody for the trailer. Maybe Lifelight or, if you want to continue the Shrek theme set up by Wallelujah, I'm a Believer or Holding Out for a Hero.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The trademark leading up to Waluigi’s reveal, isn’t that kind of what happen with Banjo? Something happen with Banjo’s trademark and then eventually Banjo was added in smash?
Yes. I really do think he’s coming. I just have to keep stopping myself from believing too hard. I mean I thought he was a lock-in for base game and we saw what happened there :(

However, if next week (or just at some point before the next fighter reveal) we see an announcement for a Mario Sports game or collection... then it might be time to get hyped

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Something I just thought of, but has Nintendo ever teased/build up to any character reveal before? If not, then it might just likely be coincidences with posting mario sport stuff.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Something I just thought of, but has Nintendo ever teased/build up to any character reveal before? If not, then it might just likely be coincidences with posting mario sport stuff.
No, not necessarily to a character reveal. I think their tweets have more to do with a new Mario Sports game, which in turn could make Waluigi look more likely. They are not directly hinting at him as a character in smash, but maybe indirectly I guess if we do get a game. Of course new games don't = getting into smash either

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
No, not necessarily to a character reveal. I think their tweets have more to do with a new Mario Sports game, which in turn could make Waluigi look more likely. They are not directly hinting at him as a character in smash, but maybe indirectly I guess if we do get a game. Of course new games don't = getting into smash either
I don’t know even know why they would build up to a Mario sport game. Those aren’t usually hype for most people.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Had to merge multiple double posts on this page alone. Please remember to use the "Edit" option if you're making multiple replies within a short period of time.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know even know why they would build up to a Mario sport game. Those aren’t usually hype for most people.
You're right, but that's why they are doing this on the 35th anniversary account, which doesn't receive much attention other than from the more dedicated fans (who probably like the spin-offs, like the sports games). If they were doing this on one of the main Nintendo accounts it would definitely be weird though

It could also literally be nothing, I just like to think that they aren't doing an autumn of sports event thing on their Mario 35th anniversary twitter randomly for no reason. Especially when we haven't gotten a new Mario sports game for like 2 or 3 years and (wishful thinking) this close to a supposed fighter reveal.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If there is a Mario character in this pass, it has to happen now. This is best time to reveal them, it’s Mario’s anniversary and they’re having a Mario theme tournament that doesn’t happen until November.

If it’s not a Mario character, that’s not gonna be looking too good for any Mario character. I think it needs happen before this tournament.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
You're right, but that's why they are doing this on the 35th anniversary account, which doesn't receive much attention other than from the more dedicated fans (who probably like the spin-offs, like the sports games). If they were doing this on one of the main Nintendo accounts it would definitely be weird though

It could also literally be nothing, I just like to think that they aren't doing an autumn of sports event thing on their Mario 35th anniversary twitter randomly for no reason. Especially when we haven't gotten a new Mario sports game for like 2 or 3 years and (wishful thinking) this close to a supposed fighter reveal.
There is no doubt in my mind that we are going to get a mario sports game really soon and so the autumn of sports event is probably there for a reason... it's really strange that they started doing it a few days ago during the period when dlc 7 was rumored to be revealed this week or next week so maybe it's all coming together...

or maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm sick of coincidences, everytime we see the light at the end of the tunnel, nintendo's like :

Top Bottom