• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I get that he’s well known, but he still needs to show how he plays in depth. Which doesn’t seem to be what we are getting. It just seems like a trailer.
We didn't see in depth gameplay of KKR, Isabelle or Ridley. Even Piranha Plant who is currently a DLC. Notice how all of them are Nintendo characters. We always got a presentation for 3rd party characters so I doubt it will be a 3rd party because I don't think they want their character to only have a roughly 3 minutes trailer and that's it, they want their publicity.

My impressions of a 3 min presentation are it is: 1) first party. 2) popular enough to not need an explanation as to who they are. 3) from a series already in smash, so no need to explain what the series is.

I think that this is only a reveal and nothing more. With it being 3 mins though that seems a tad long for a reveal... maybe double reveal or a bonus fighter announcement?

I could be wrong but that was my impression at least. If this was a 3rd party character I don’t think said 3rd party would be happy with their character only getting 3 minutes on screen.
I agree
About the trailer, pretty much every characters announced before had roughly a 2-3 mins trailer. And they said it's going to be rougly 3 minutes so you can expect maybe a 2:30 trailer. It's just a basic trailer with a CGI intro followed by some gameplay with a music in the background, Super Smash Bros x Mario Sports screen and that's it.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The fact that we are 2 hours from the reveal and there have still been no leaks makes it really likely that this character is first party. This is pretty much exactly how Min Min was too, no one really said anything until the night before a few people cryptically guessed her- but we already knew it was an ARMS fighter so she wasn’t too hard to guess, she was the front runner. Every 3rd party character was leaked before their reveal I’m pretty sure. That’s why I think that this is first party. Now we just have to cross our fingers and hope that it’s Waluigi!

Edit- calling it now. King Boo or Waluigi

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Waluigi is revealed tomorrow, then he'll be Challenger Pack 7, number 77. As we all know, impostors of Mario characters have a common association with the number 7.

New theory: Funny number theory. Incineroar was fighter number 69 and he's a furry chad. If we ever get to 420 fighters that is when we'll finally get the grass-type starter we've wanted all this time. 666 will be Diablo from Diablo. 1.0 × 10100 will be a Stadia rep.

Please don't take funny number theory seriously.
Now that you mention it...

FP7.jpg

HMMMMMM...

In all seriousness though, even if Waa isn't my first choice for Mario newcomer, he'd easily be the DLC character I'd be most excited for thus far.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well, what have we learn today? That Nintendo doesn’t coincide characters with anniversaries. Minecraft was unexpected and hilarious. There’s still four more fighters, but I think I’m done here. I’ll pop in when the next character is revealed.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I dunno about ya'll, but i'm reallly happy about this, steve was the second microsoft rep i was looking for , and steve looks really fun :D
also steve is technically brown so we finally have a brown/dark skin character in smash (ganondorf doesn't count) so yeah that's also awesome :3

sure it's not waluigi, but i ain't upset cus this was an unexpected treat :)

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I think Steve looks fun, can't wait for to see what Mii costumes we get with him. Still hoping for Waluigi

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
It was very hilarious, several threads must have a panic attack right now, forums and twitter probably crashed.
But yeah, **** it, I'm done. They don't want to put Waluigi.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Paragon leak is completly dumb and so is the guy behind it. He is just another dumbass who tries to take himself seriously by giving out infos but fail miserably like everyone else. He's a leaker after all (or so he thinks)
You shouldn't believe a single word of this assclown

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Well, RIP to Waluigi I guess. I respect the Geno thread, they have somehow spun Steve’s inclusion into boosting Geno’s chances. I don’t know how they do it, in my eyes I think both Waluigi and Geno were both now or never unless they add them right before that Mario tournament.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I guess we still have the Mario sports trademark and the Mario tournament. There’s still some time before then. But if that tournament comes and goes and we don’t see Waluigi I think it’s over... same goes for Geno to be honest

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Well, RIP to Waluigi I guess. I respect the Geno thread, they have somehow spun Steve’s inclusion into boosting Geno’s chances. I don’t know how they do it, in my eyes I think both Waluigi and Geno were both now or never unless they add them right before that Mario tournament.
I thought that since Steve was going to break people's mind and is only 7, the rest of the pass would be mind blowing too which means we could get Waluigi next and then Crash, Sora and The Slayer but... can we really expect Nintendo to do something like that ?

Yes we still do have the sports trademark but we still don't know why they did this... is there any reason for doing that anyway ? We better see Waluigi before the tournament which is in late november or else it's over for him, Geno or any Mario character.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I thought that since Steve was going to break people's mind and is only 7, the rest of the pass would be mind blowing too which means we could get Waluigi next and then Crash, Sora and The Slayer but... can we really expect Nintendo to do something like that ?

Yes we still do have the sports trademark but we still don't know why they did this... is there any reason for doing that anyway ? We better see Waluigi before the tournament which is in late november or else it's over for him, Geno or any Mario character. Mark my words
I don’t think will get another reveal so soon, would we?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think will get another reveal so soon, would we?
The logical answer is no, but this is 2020, and Nintendo. They pretty much do whatever they want. It wouldn’t surprise me if CP8 is finished already given the timeline of events, the problem is Min Min took awhile to develop and I’m sure Steve took/is taking even longer

Edit- let me clarify. If CP8 is a simpler fighter they are probably finished already. If they are on par with Min Min or Steve mechanics and gameplay wise then probably not.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Banjo’s trademark was renewed in 2018 and Banjo didn’t come out until 2019. This Mario sports trademark was registered this year. So maybe Waluigi will be next year?
Hopefully. Another takeaway I had from this morning is that Sakurai introduces Steve as being from the “best selling game”, which implies that Steve is deserving for smash due to popularity. He also heavily implies that Nintendo pressured him at least a little to make the character happen. Why does this matter? Well, to the first point Waluigi is extremely popular so maybe he is deserving after all. For the second point if Nintendo takes notice of Waluigi’s popularity and the potential profits a Waluigi DLC brings to the table, then he’s pretty much a lock. Sakurai can keep Waluigi out of the base game if he chooses to, but if Nintendo wants him as DLC it will happen. And I personally think that they do. They know how popular he is and have accepted his popularity among fans, which is why they frequently use him on their own twitter accounts for marketing and what not.

Long post, but it’s just my reasoning as to why I now think there could be good reason to hold out some hope. (Also until the Mario sports trademark turns out to be something else it really seems to imply Waluigi)

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully. Another takeaway I had from this morning is that Sakurai introduces Steve as being from the “best selling game”, which implies that Steve is deserving for smash due to popularity. He also heavily implies that Nintendo pressured him at least a little to make the character happen. Why does this matter? Well, to the first point Waluigi is extremely popular so maybe he is deserving after all. For the second point if Nintendo takes notice of Waluigi’s popularity and the potential profits a Waluigi DLC brings to the table, then he’s pretty much a lock. Sakurai can keep Waluigi out of the base game if he chooses to, but if Nintendo wants him as DLC it will happen. And I personally think that they do. They know how popular he is and have accepted his popularity among fans, which is why they frequently use him on their own twitter accounts for marketing and what not.

Long post, but it’s just my reasoning as to why I now think there could be good reason to hold out some hope. (Also until the Mario sports trademark turns out to be something else it really seems to imply Waluigi)
Yeah, I’m hoping that trademark is for Waluigi smash dlc. It’s the only thing left to hold onto.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
In an alternate universe somewhere out there Waluigi made it into the game as the bonus/first DLC instead of being snubbed in favor of adding a plant. Specifically a plant who was his sidekick in Mario Party 3. :(

This still makes me a little frustrated when I think about it. He was passed up for base roster, to which I thought, “okay, they just didn’t want to add anymore Mario characters and he didn’t make the cut. I can live with that.” And then they add a generic Mario enemy as DLC over Waluigi. Wtf Sakurai lol

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I heard the Paragon leak got brought up and I wanted to mention that all its information was actually true. There is a video by Red detailing all of it and around April Imran Khan confirmed that Hero's announcements at E3 2019 was supposed to be during the tournament. Paragon also went into detail discussing the leak (I believe he did this with the SmashBoards user Fatmanonice) in which he cleared everything. This means that everything Paragon had heard was actually correct. We just don't know what's up with Waluigi.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I heard the Paragon leak got brought up and I wanted to mention that all its information was actually true. There is a video by Red detailing all of it and around April Imran Khan confirmed that Hero's announcements at E3 2019 was supposed to be during the tournament. Paragon also went into detail discussing the leak (I believe he did this with the SmashBoards user Fatmanonice) in which he cleared everything. This means that everything Paragon had heard was actually correct. We just don't know what's up with Waluigi.
And then a Mario sports trademark happen this year. Hmm...

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
EjTX-wZWkAAn3N-.jpeg.jpg

Alright, I seriously don't care if anyone dismiss' this picture as nothing or unimportant, but Nintendo has never treated Waluigi like they do now, and they've been posting and tweeting about him non stop for the last year.

Mario Kart Tour's 1st Anniversary Tour event starts next week, and they've purposefully chose to promote this event with a picture of Waluigi alongside 4 characters who are much important and relevant to the main Mario games than him.

This wasn't a mistake or a coincidence.
Their stance on Waluigi has clearly changed.
Let's hope this pans out with him in Smash.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 287940

Alright, I seriously don't care if anyone dismiss' this picture as nothing or unimportant, but Nintendo has never treated Waluigi like they do now, and they've been posting and tweeting about him non stop for the last year.

Mario Kart Tour's 1st Anniversary Tour event starts next week, and they've purposefully chose to promote this event with a picture of Waluigi alongside 4 characters who are much important and relevant to the main Mario games than him.

This wasn't a mistake or a coincidence.
Their stance on Waluigi has clearly changed.
Let's hope this pans out with him in Smash.
I definitely agree. Between this and the supermario35th twitter account tweeting about Waluigi several times and just some random Waluigi tweets by Nintendo in general... it’s clear that they don’t mind him now and might even like them. They might have realized that he’s pretty popular and ignoring his existence is like leaving money/easy advertising on the table. This has me pretty hopeful for smash, since it sounded like Steve was a similar pick (popularity and money) that Nintendo somewhat forced Sakurai to make. The difference is Waluigi is first party, so no shared profits, and he’s easier to make, so less resistance from Sakurai and less expensive dev time.

The question is whether this all happened in time for Smash Ultimate DLC. I hope so... I’m tired of waiting and I don’t know if we will get another smash game and if so we don’t know how long we will have to wait for it. One thing is for sure though, if there is another game he’s basically a lock for base roster

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I definitely agree. Between this and the supermario35th twitter account tweeting about Waluigi several times and just some random Waluigi tweets by Nintendo in general... it’s clear that they don’t mind him now and might even like them. They might have realized that he’s pretty popular and ignoring his existence is like leaving money/easy advertising on the table. This has me pretty hopeful for smash, since it sounded like Steve was a similar pick (popularity and money) that Nintendo somewhat forced Sakurai to make. The difference is Waluigi is first party, so no shared profits, and he’s easier to make, so less resistance from Sakurai and less expensive dev time.

The question is whether this all happened in time for Smash Ultimate DLC. I hope so... I’m tired of waiting and I don’t know if we will get another smash game and if so we don’t know how long we will have to wait for it. One thing is for sure though, if there is another game he’s basically a lock for base roster
My stance is that if Waluigi doesn't get in SSBU DLC, Smash 7 is all but confirmed. Just like how the seemingly poor outcome of the Ballot and lack of Inkling in 3DS/Wii U basically confirmed Ultimate.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
My stance is that if Waluigi doesn't get in SSBU DLC, Smash 7 is all but confirmed. Just like how the seemingly poor outcome of the Ballot and lack of Inkling in 3DS/Wii U basically confirmed Ultimate.
Wouldn’t it be smash 6? Anyways, I agree. All I want is to just once be able to jump offstage and spike my opponent and then come back and do his signature crotch chop celebration... is that too much to ask??

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think Waluigi is gonna be in the pass, until we know what that trademark is for.
I don't think the trademark relates to Smash but regardless I hope Waluigi is in as well. I see Waluigi as a matter of when rather than if. Even if he doesn't get in this pass then he'll either get in a hypothetical third pass or the next game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I definitely agree. Between this and the supermario35th twitter account tweeting about Waluigi several times and just some random Waluigi tweets by Nintendo in general... it’s clear that they don’t mind him now and might even like them. They might have realized that he’s pretty popular and ignoring his existence is like leaving money/easy advertising on the table. This has me pretty hopeful for smash, since it sounded like Steve was a similar pick (popularity and money)
Doesnt seem like a good comparison when Steve and Alex are their own series reps. And its been noted many times, aside from Plant Piranha, all Ultimate newcomers so far are popular characters. Cannot say only until now do Nintendo really notice popularity.

Objectively, Waluigi isn't the main focus of the Mario 35th anniversaries according the current information. Like mentioned in an earlier post, Super Mario 64 remake was the best chance Waluigi missed. And with his absence from several new Mario games, it's doubtful that Nintendo do start to want to make use of Waluigi's popularity and put him on the table. Just tweets and notice aren't good enough for him, considering what Mario and Luigi got are much more than just tweets.

Optimistically hope that the upcoming 3D World will have any information about him. Otherwise, likely we'd have to wait til 2021 for more news.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't think the trademark relates to Smash but regardless I hope Waluigi is in as well. I see Waluigi as a matter of when rather than if. Even if he doesn't get in this pass then he'll either get in a hypothetical third pass or the next game.
Sakurai already confirmed that Fighters Pass 2 will be the final DLC for Smash Ultimate. And there are only 4 more DLC fighters to go.

Top Bottom