• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I think they'd probably have the AT not show up when he's playable, or maybe have it show up with a color swap when regular Waluigi's in play - like a cheaper Alfonso.
While that makes sense on paper, it feels like a cheap option and I don't think that Nintendo nor Sakurai would be happy with that solution. I can see just not having them on screen at the same time, but the color swap sounds messy. (Don't get me wrong, I've suggested this too)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While that makes sense on paper, it feels like a cheap option and I don't think that Nintendo nor Sakurai would be happy with that solution.
meanwhile, during the development of :ultchrom:

worker: mr. sakurai, what are we gonna do to change robin's final smash and victory screens?

sakurai:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
meanwhile, during the development of :ultchrom:

worker: mr. sakurai, what are we gonna do to change robin's final smash and victory screens?

sakurai:

Anything can change! Except for the move that was supposed to deconfirm you.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
How do we think the whole Assist Trophy thing will go? Will they cut the AT? Will they make it so they're never on the screen at the same time? Will they make Waluig's stage entrance an Assist Trophy? Or just shrug it off and not bother with a fix?
I always thought that if Waluigi was added then he could be replaced by one of the humans in the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis of yesteryear but I understand that's probably not gonna happen.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Wait a second... Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts when did Sakurai said there will be no more Echos? I don't remember hearing him say that.
Sakurai said that the fighers pass wont have echo fighters, only new complete moveset fighters. He said that way before we got the Joker announcement. I'm not sure if this counts for the DLC characters after the fighters pass, but I don't have high hopes for DLC echo fighters anyway, as much as I hate to say it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would really be ok with Purple Man. :chuckle: I never really got it as far as moveset, but Waluigi just has a lot of personality and can be badass. I have Mario Party 3 nostalgia with this character, bruh. He's fun, interesting and dynamic.

I want him in now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sakurai said that the fighers pass wont have echo fighters, only new complete moveset fighters. He said that way before we got the Joker announcement. I'm not sure if this counts for the DLC characters after the fighters pass, but I don't have high hopes for DLC echo fighters anyway, as much as I hate to say it.
He might have just been talking about the Season Pass as he wanted to focus soley on those unique characters with their stages and music tracks. It was critical that the first wave of DLC did extremely well. So now that we are getting more, there is a chance we could get more Echos.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If additional DLC is what I think it's gonna be in that there won't be more Fighters Passes and Ultimate will just become Nintendo's League of Legends where they'll just keep adding as many characters as they want, I can really see them kicking off the first DLC after the Fighters Pass with a Geno and Waluigi dual-reveal: two giant and popular Mario characters they could "get out of the way" for other franchises.

Plus it'd have the fun effect of BTFO'ing the two biggest fan rules in speculation.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I saw a PapaGeno video today that might address the solution to the Waluigi the AT and Waluigi the playable character problem. I didn't think of it before. It is similar to how ST Link is replaced by Alfonzo if one of the Links is fighting. If playable Waluigi is on the scene, AT Waluigi doesn't appear.

I know Waluigi has never been in any of the WarioWare games, don't undestand why, and Waluigi has always been classified as a Mario character in Smash, but I would classify playable Waluigi under Wario's symbol and just give him unique victory music. Maybe something Mario Tennis based since that was his first appearance.

Out of all the Assist Trophies, he would probably be one of the easiest to translate into a playable character since he has a lots of moves that could be ported to a moveset. The tennis racket, could be a reflect type move as an example.

Would Luigi's old Negative Zone Final Smash fit the new philosophy they have for Final Smashes? If so, maybe Waluigi could have that?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I saw a PapaGeno video today that might address the solution to the Waluigi the AT and Waluigi the playable character problem. I didn't think of it before. It is similar to how ST Link is replaced by Alfonzo if one of the Links is fighting. If playable Waluigi is on the scene, AT Waluigi doesn't appear.

I know Waluigi has never been in any of the WarioWare games, don't undestand why, and Waluigi has always been classified as a Mario character in Smash, but I would classify playable Waluigi under Wario's symbol and just give him unique victory music. Maybe something Mario Tennis based since that was his first appearance.

Out of all the Assist Trophies, he would probably be one of the easiest to translate into a playable character since he has a lots of moves that could be ported to a moveset. The tennis racket, could be a reflect type move as an example.

Would Luigi's old Negative Zone Final Smash fit the new philosophy they have for Final Smashes? If so, maybe Waluigi could have that?
I'm the opposite, I see Waluigi as a Mario character, but getting Wario's victory theme (it fits the wacky evil tone of his personality and is a reference to their relationship).

As for Negative Zone, I don't think it would fit the new philosophy. Shame, as I'd love to see it make a comeback and it really fits Waluigi (I don't like the new directions for FS)

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm the opposite, I see Waluigi as a Mario character, but getting Wario's victory theme (it fits the wacky evil tone of his personality and is a reference to their relationship).

As for Negative Zone, I don't think it would fit the new philosophy. Shame, as I'd love to see it make a comeback and it really fits Waluigi (I don't like the new directions for FS)
That brings up a really good question of what his Final Smash would even be? I guess it all depends if they go with the 'Sports and Party' theme, or the 'Grungy Cheater' theme.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That brings up a really good question of what his Final Smash would even be? I guess it all depends if they go with the 'Sports and Party' theme, or the 'Grungy Cheater' theme.
that's honestly a question im not prepared to answer because for all intents and purposes it could be anything sakurai comes to mind

this time, the assist trophy is YOU *waluigi grabs past the screen*

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It could be anything really. From Waluigi dropping bob-ombs around the whole battlefield to Waluigi driving over the opponents with his kart. It's not something easy to predict.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
My idea for a Waluigi Final Smash has always been him pulling a lever and causing a bunch of hazards to fall from the sky. Hammers, shells, Bob-ombs, Brick Blocks, Thwomps, spiked balls, etc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My idea for a Waluigi Final Smash has always been him pulling a lever and causing a bunch of hazards to fall from the sky. Hammers, shells, Bob-ombs, Brick Blocks, Thwomps, spiked balls, etc.
so basically that one battle minigame from mario party 7

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It would be pretty sick if Waluigi could represent spinoffs, not gonna lie. If he had a Mario Party Dice Block that could be thrown and dealt more damage depending on the roll, that could be quite fun to work with.

Must admit that at the end of the day I'm not sure about this one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It would be pretty sick if Waluigi could represent spinoffs, not gonna lie. If he had a Mario Party Dice Block that could be thrown and dealt more damage depending on the roll, that could be quite fun to work with.
i told you so @Blue__Falcon

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet

Yep, it's possible that does AT doesn't appear. Still, it doesn't even need to be that way since Chrom still appears in Robin's final smash even if Robin is going against Chrom. I agree, he's probably the easier character to translate into a playable character and I'd 100% support his inclusion.

I strongly disagree with Waluigi being considered a Wario character, he's never appeared in any Wario game and was created to be a Mario character. Plus I think having him as a Wario character would lower the chances of us getting an actual Wario character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yep, it's possible that does AT doesn't appear. Still, it doesn't even need to be that way since Chrom still appears in Robin's final smash even if Robin is going against Chrom. I agree, he's probably the easier character to translate into a playable character and I'd 100% support his inclusion.

I strongly disagree with Waluigi being considered a Wario character, he's never appeared in any Wario game and was created to be a Mario character. Plus I think having him as a Wario character would lower the chances of us getting an actual Wario character.
Waluigi had a cameo in a mini-game of one WarioWare game. So he has appeared... but he's pretty much a Mario character overall. If he were to spin-off into his own set of games or actually be playable in WarioWare, that'd be different.

Also, Chrom is during a cutscene, not constantly on the field. Waluigi's AT being disabled while he's playable makes more sense in comparison. Especially as they're both 3D models and can get a bit more confusing. If they're not extremely different designs(including sprites), it's harder to tell them apart in general. We've got it bad enough with some pretty terrible costumes that look near identical(Cloud much?) as is. Even the Metal Box was changed up since 4 so you can tell the Metals apart from each other via a colored hue difference.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi had a cameo in a mini-game of one WarioWare game. So he has appeared... but he's pretty much a Mario character overall. If he were to spin-off into his own set of games or actually be playable in WarioWare, that'd be different.

Also, Chrom is during a cutscene, not constantly on the field. Waluigi's AT being disabled while he's playable makes more sense in comparison. Especially as they're both 3D models and can get a bit more confusing. If they're not extremely different designs(including sprites), it's harder to tell them apart in general. We've got it bad enough with some pretty terrible costumes that look near identical(Cloud much?) as is. Even the Metal Box was changed up since 4 so you can tell the Metals apart from each other via a colored hue difference.
Which mini game? (As an avid Wario Ware fan)

And also, what's up with that? Why hasn't the Purple Perpetrator been in one of Wario's games? They are without a doubt supposed to be partners, so why did Wario leave him out to dry?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And also, what's up with that? Why hasn't the Purple Perpetrator been in one of Wario's games? They are without a doubt supposed to be partners, so why did Wario leave him out to dry?
wario owns a million, maybe even billion, dollar company

waluigi is obviously the janitor

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
Which mini game? (As an avid Wario Ware fan)

Not really a mini-game, more a new mode. Waluigi makes a cameo in 'Wario’s amiibo Sketch' when scanning his amiibo. Although pretty much all of Nintendo's amiibo do.

Probably cause Wario wouldn't want to split the cash for another employee. According to Mario Tennis Aces, Waluigi's very greedy too so they probably wouldn't get along very well if Waluigi's tryin' to hog the cash too.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I always felt Waluigi would have been more at home alongside Wario in the Wario Land games anyway.

If that series ever comes back that is.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Do we think that our chances were ruined by the hate mail Sakurai was getting?

I know that definitely put a dent in the mind of the general public, but I think it's a case of a few bad apples. I think if you have a following big enough, eventually you'll get a group that does something drastic. I hope it's a case of forgive and forget.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

I know that definitely put a dent in the mind of the general public, but I think it's a case of a few bad apples. I think if you have a following big enough, eventually you'll get a group that does something drastic. I hope it's a case of forgive and forget.
None, because there wasn’t any hate mail?

It was just one stupid unfunny Twitter meme page that took it a bit to far, if your talking about that Waluigi Stan who posted that 9/11 **** to Sakurai

Sakurai gets spammed for so many characters, he’s probably to busy to target on one specific character to go “yeah, I’m not adding them“

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Those were two dudes right? If so I doubt it. Might just be a lack of faith in mankind, but sadly I doubt that was the only instance of Sakurai getting death threats over character exclusions.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
None, because there wasn’t any hate mail?

It was just one stupid unfunny Twitter meme page that took it a bit to far, if your talking about that Waluigi Stan who posted that 9/11 **** to Sakurai

Sakurai gets spammed for so many characters, he’s probably to busy to target on one specific character to go “yeah, I’m not adding them“
Y'know, I remember when this story broke, but I guess you're right. I swore I saw a tweet from Sakurai telling people to stop bullying him over Waluigi, but now that I do some research, I can't find anything like that.

Waluigi99

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5516-0014-8137
Add me to the list of supporters. I’ve been supporting Waluigi for quite a while now, and he’s really the only character besides Bandanna Dee and Master Chief that I want in Ultimate. I’ve been switching “mains” for quite some time now and while I like a few characters, I feel like none really represent me or my tastes well. None of the DLC, except for Banjo has been very exciting, so I’ll just hope and wait for my man to make it to playable status.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, I suppose I should preface this by saying I'm someone who, for the longest time, never really understood Waluigi's appeal in Smash. Considering most painted him as someone who would represent Mario spin-offs, which both Peach and Daisy already do, it just didn't do anything for me. Thus, I tend to support Toad more due to Captain Toad breathing new elements into the character.

That said, recently I've been taking a closer look at Wario. Back in Smash 4, I was bummed by the fact that the Shoulder Bash technique from the Land games was removed from the character, essentially only leaving Wario Ware elements behind. While I'm glad to have it back, two more things have crossed my mind. A recent replay I did of Wario Land 4, and the fact that none of the transformations from the games are represented in Wario's move set at all.

Now, here's Waluigi. A character intrinsically linked to Wario, who while never appearing in any Wario material, exists simply to be Wario's partner. His only claim to fame are a few abilities given to him in sports games, and a brief stint as a dancer in Mario DDR. He's basically a blank canvas. Meanwhile, here are some abilities utilized by Wario in the past that now go unused...

I hope I haven't offended anyone with just the beginning of this post, but I just had to ask. How would you guys feel if Waluigi had a move set consisting of those transformations from Wario Land? Spring Wario (Waluigi in this case) as a recovery move, Flaming Wario Waluigi for a side special. Perhaps include a little more from Wario World, or even Wario Land for the Virtual Boy with a King Dragon final smash. Honestly, I think there's a lot of untapped potential here, though I also understand if you all would prefer sticking to content that has a larger Waluigi feel, just wanted to gauge the waters here on using the transformations for a move set.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So, I suppose I should preface this by saying I'm someone who, for the longest time, never really understood Waluigi's appeal in Smash. Considering most painted him as someone who would represent Mario spin-offs, which both Peach and Daisy already do, it just didn't do anything for me. Thus, I tend to support Toad more due to Captain Toad breathing new elements into the character.

That said, recently I've been taking a closer look at Wario. Back in Smash 4, I was bummed by the fact that the Shoulder Bash technique from the Land games was removed from the character, essentially only leaving Wario Ware elements behind. While I'm glad to have it back, two more things have crossed my mind. A recent replay I did of Wario Land 4, and the fact that none of the transformations from the games are represented in Wario's move set at all.

Now, here's Waluigi. A character intrinsically linked to Wario, who while never appearing in any Wario material, exists simply to be Wario's partner. His only claim to fame are a few abilities given to him in sports games, and a brief stint as a dancer in Mario DDR. He's basically a blank canvas. Meanwhile, here are some abilities utilized by Wario in the past that now go unused...

I hope I haven't offended anyone with just the beginning of this post, but I just had to ask. How would you guys feel if Waluigi had a move set consisting of those transformations from Wario Land? Spring Wario (Waluigi in this case) as a recovery move, Flaming Wario Waluigi for a side special. Perhaps include a little more from Wario World, or even Wario Land for the Virtual Boy with a King Dragon final smash. Honestly, I think there's a lot of untapped potential here, though I also understand if you all would prefer sticking to content that has a larger Waluigi feel, just wanted to gauge the waters here on using the transformations for a move set.
I won't like it if Waluigi uses Wario's moves from Land. I want Waluigi to use his own moves in battle that stem from his own personality and abilities. Waluigi has more than enough source material to make a unique and original moveset. Giving a nod to Waluigi's origin as Wario's partner and Luigi's doppleganger might seem cool, but I don't want it to take over his entire moveset.

toonito

Smash Ace
ill support waluigi at least to see the quartet playable

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman

I would not like this. I'm okay if he has one or two moves that are a nod to Wario, because that is his origin, but he's become his own character. He may not have his own games (why?) and he may not be in any main series games, but he does have personality and he does have his own quirks.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I won't like it if Waluigi uses Wario's moves from Land. I want Waluigi to use his own moves in battle that stem from his own personality and abilities. Waluigi has more than enough source material to make a unique and original moveset. Giving a nod to Waluigi's origin as Wario's partner and Luigi's doppleganger might seem cool, but I don't want it to take over his entire moveset.
I would not like this. I'm okay if he has one or two moves that are a nod to Wario, because that is his origin, but he's become his own character. He may not have his own games (why?) and he may not be in any main series games, but he does have personality and he does have his own quirks.
Yeah, I totally get that. Still would like to see the Wario Land series return with Waluigi acting as the Luigi to Wario's Mario. As for his own abilities, the vacuum orb from Mario Party 7 and his ability in Strikers Charged (Walluigi) comes to mind.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, I totally get that. Still would like to see the Wario Land series return with Waluigi acting as the Luigi to Wario's Mario. As for his own abilities, the vacuum orb from Mario Party 7 and his ability in Strikers Charged (Walluigi) comes to mind.
Or you could do something original with him.

Top Bottom