• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Why didn’t he acknowledge it last year?
Your Guess is as GOOD as Mine. I’m..Rather curious about that too.

Though Smash Fans PROBABLY would say “Because he doesn’t care for Mario Spin-offs and He Hates Waluigi.”

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I think that actually Kills off Waluigi for DLC.. :/

That’s SO Unfortunate if it does.
It doesn't kill Waluigi for DLC. Sakurai didn't acknowledge Mario Tennis Anniversary last year and he made multiple tweets about Tekken before it was added to the game.

Sakurai specifically talking about Waluigi is kind of weird in my opinion though.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Guys you're overreacting, this doesn't hurt Waluigi's chances.

Sakurai already did the same thing with Tekken before Kazuya's reveal.

If anything this is in favor of Waluigi getting in as the last DLC, seeing as Sakurai never mentioned or referenced Waluigi in his previous posts.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So I thought about this post for a long time now and I think TX-55 TX-55 is right. This is suspicious that he decides to acknowledge the anniversary now. Like what TX said, he made an anniversary tweet for Tekken before Kazuya was revealed and also someone on Twitter pointed out that he made an anniversary tweet for Xenoblade beforePyra/Mythra were revealed.

So I don’t think this kills his chances at being the last dlc fighter. At this point, the only thing that will kills his chances is if a Mario sports related spirit event happens before the last dlc reveal. That’s the only thing I’m worried about.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Ok but the fact that he specifically mentionned Waluigi..
Because he had to, it's a major event that you have to acknowledge whether someone loves or hates Waluigi.

And it just so happens that Waluigi is an Assist Trophy in the base game, with the Tekken anniversary Sakurai couldn't show Kazuya before his planned reveal, so he had the Heihachi mii costume represent Tekken in the anniversary tweet with Ryu being a stand in for Kazuya.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Because he had to, it's a major event that you have to acknowledge whether someone loves or hates Waluigi.

And it just so happens that Waluigi is an Assist Trophy in the base game, with the Tekken anniversary Sakurai couldn't show Kazuya before his planned reveal, so he had the Heihachi mii costume represent Tekken in the anniversary tweet with Ryu being a stand in for Kazuya.
He also apparently tweeted about Xenoblade’s anniversary before Pyra/Mythra and he obviously couldn’t use them. So did he use Rex’s mii costume for that or someone else?

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I think spirit events are the only things to look out for. If we specifically get a Mario tennis aces or Mario Golf super rush spirit event then we’re done for. Why those games specifically? Because so far all of Nintendo’s dlc fighters have been use for marketing their switch games. Arms with Min min, FE three houses for Byleth and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with Pyra/Mythra.

So I think from a business standpoint if Waluigi was the last dlc fighter they most likely would use him for marketing those two games. This is obviously why people were bummed out about the Paper Mario the origami king spirit event.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I think spirit events are the only things to look out for. If we specifically get a Mario tennis aces or Mario Golf super rush spirit event then we’re done for. Why those games specifically? Because so far all of Nintendo’s dlc fighters have been use for marketing their switch games. Arms with Min min, FE three houses for Byleth and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with Pyra/Mythra.

So I think from a business standpoint if Waluigi was the last dlc fighter they most likely would use him for marketing those two games. This is obviously why people were bummed out about the Paper Mario the origami king spirit event.
You're forgetting Mario Party Superstars.
That game could potentially revive Waluigi's Island.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Whoa some of you guys are way overthinking this. As was already said, Sakurai had tweeted about Tekken multiple times before their reveal, and he also tweeted about a Xenoblade anniversary at some point before Pyra/Mythra. If anything I think this is a good thing, he didn’t acknowledge it last year and this year he does mention it and specifically talks about Waluigi- seems like Waluigi might be on his mind for some reason if you catch my drift.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Whoa some of you guys are way overthinking this. As was already said, Sakurai had tweeted about Tekken multiple times before their reveal, and he also tweeted about a Xenoblade anniversary at some point before Pyra/Mythra. If anything I think this is a good thing, he didn’t acknowledge it last year and this year he does mention it and specifically talks about Waluigi- seems like Waluigi might be on his mind for some reason if you catch my drift.
It's gonna be Waluigi Time, finally.

Ridley888

Smash Rookie
Sakurai started tweeting to celebrate the release date on July 27, last year, and as of that point in time, the release date of Mario Tennis 64 had already passed.
And finally this year, maybe I just tweeted to commemorate the release date.
However, today is also the release date of Splatoon 2, and it is weird that Mario Tennis 64 was prioritized over that.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
You're forgetting Mario Party Superstars.
That game could potentially revive Waluigi's Island.
There are already 3 medium difficulty boards in Peach's Birthday Cake, Space Land and Woody Woods. Basically 2 stars difficulty for the OGs who played the games on the N64. But we still haven't seen a noob-friendly/easy board (☆) nor a complex/hard board (☆☆☆). Mario's Rainbow Castle is an easy board and Waluigi's Island is a hard board. What if the remaining boards are both of those alongside Bowser Land, another hard board as the secret unlockable board ?
That way, we could have an easy board (and a Mario's level), 3 medium boards and 2 hard boards. Also all these boards are pretty unique in how they work. But we will have to wait months to see what happened. Also there is still this pink Yoshi sticker theory even though Yoshi's Tropical Island is also a medium board...

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
There are already 3 medium difficulty boards in Peach's Birthday Cake, Space Land and Woody Woods. Basically 2 stars difficulty for the OGs who played the games on the N64. But we still haven't seen a noob-friendly/easy board (☆) nor a complex/hard board (☆☆☆). Mario's Rainbow Castle is an easy board and Waluigi's Island is a hard board. What if the remaining boards are both of those alongside Bowser Land, another hard board as the secret unlockable board ?
That way, we could have an easy board (and a Mario's level), 3 medium boards and 2 hard boards. Also all these boards are pretty unique in how they work. But we will have to wait months to see what happened. Also there is still this pink Yoshi sticker theory even though Yoshi's Tropical Island is also a medium board...
I just wish they actually pick Waluigi's Island, and add DLC boards.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai started tweeting to celebrate the release date on July 27, last year, and as of that point in time, the release date of Mario Tennis 64 had already passed.
And finally this year, maybe I just tweeted to commemorate the release date.
However, today is also the release date of Splatoon 2, and it is weird that Mario Tennis 64 was prioritized over that.
Source on him tweeting about it’s anniversary from last year, cause I don’t remember that.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Source on him tweeting about it’s anniversary from last year, cause I don’t remember that.
I believe they meant that he didn’t start tweeting about anniversaries until that date, not that he tweeted about Mario Tennis on that date. Cause yeah, that didn’t happen. Pretty sure they meant the first thing

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai celebrated Tekken's anniversary before Kazuya's reveal, and XC2 before Pyra/Mythra reveal.
31_tekken-homage-in-smash01.jpg

20210722_083004.jpg

And now all of a sudden he decided to celebrate Mario Tennis' anniversary and mention Waluigi by name.

Things are looking up!
:waluigirose:

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Id say not at the moment, I know a lot of people see this as a possible hint but for others it’s basically a disconfirmation. Better just to wait and see.
Fair enough, I don’t agree with the idea it deconfirms him, but that’s just me.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Fair enough, I don’t agree with the idea it deconfirms him, but that’s just me.
I feel like It’s Neutral Territory..

On one hand,It Could Disconfirm/Deconfirm Waluigi for DLC.

But on the OTHER Hand,It could be Sakurai inadvertently Confirming Waluigi as the Last DLC Fighter for Smash Ultimate.

That’s just me though.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I feel like It’s Neutral Territory..

On one hand,It Could Disconfirm/Deconfirm Waluigi for DLC.

But on the OTHER Hand,It could be Sakurai inadvertently Confirming Waluigi as the Last DLC Fighter for Smash Ultimate.

That’s just me though.
This is gonna sound biased, but I’m leaning more towards the latter.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd say the reason why people think it disconfirms is because there have been plenty of other tweets for other games' celebrations such as Samurai Showdown, Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Wooly World, or Sonic Adventure 2, so this does not mean Waluigi is guaranteed. The Tweet could simply be a nice gesture to fans of a character who unfortunately missed the train for this game.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the reason why people think it disconfirms is because there have been plenty of other tweets for other games' celebrations such as Samurai Showdown, Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Wooly World, or Sonic Adventure 2, so this does not mean Waluigi is guaranteed. The Tweet could simply be a nice gesture to fans of a character who unfortunately missed the train for this game.
Difference is, Waluigi is one of the most talked about characters for Smash Ultimate DLC.
And at least Tekken and XC2 were considered for Smash before they eventually got reps, I don't see how Samurai Shodown or Mario Sunshine can relate to that.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I would have thought the same thing if it weren’t for all of the stuff that’s been happening with Waluigi lately.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I don’t see how people can see this as a deconfirm. Of course other characters have been recognized that didn’t become fighters, there literally aren’t enough roster spots for all anniversary characters to be DLC fighters. It’s more interesting this time because Sakurai specifically recognized Waluigi, an assist trophy. I still don’t really think it means anything but if it IS significant at all it would be a good thing rather than a deconfirm. I’m pretty sure one of the only times that he has specifically talked about an assist trophy in an anniversary post was back when they revealed Little Mac. Unless that wasn’t Sakurai who tweeted that one, I don’t remember.

My point is that he could have easily just used a picture of some Mario characters and maybe had Waluigi somewhere in the background, but instead Waluigi is at the forefront of the image and he specifically talked about him. This shows that Sakurai thinks of Waluigi as having some level of importance, at least in regards to Mario Tennis.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
All I'm saying is that Sakurai makes hundreds of birthday tweets. Because Waluigi got one is nothing more than a polite gesture, regardless of whether or not he's in.
It’s more interesting this time because Sakurai specifically recognized Waluigi, an assist trophy.
Other Assist Trophies-namely Shadow and Shovel Knight, and probably others that I'm not remembering, were also featured in birthday posts. Waluigi's Assist Trophy being named and singled-out is nothing new to Sakurai's Twitter account.
But like you said afterwards, at the end of the day, it is just a Twitter post and probably means nothing. It doesn't really affect my outlook on Waluigi's chances-which are very high.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a Waluigi tweet from Nintendo. Waluigi is actually used a lot in this game due to his stats with the wiggler. It’s cool they acknowledged it!

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Here’s a Waluigi tweet from Nintendo. Waluigi is actually used a lot in this game due to his stats with the wiggler. It’s cool they acknowledged it!
It’s a Shame they didn’t add Waluigi Pinball to 8/8 DX.

I would’ve loved to see it or GCN Waluigi Stadium in the game.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
There have been things that hinted towards fighters before. Like Banjo, who got a renewal trademark and the recent merchandise made for him. Of course people thought it meant nothing but then it happened.

I get it, people say these things because they don’t wanna get their hopes up and be disappointed. I believe he’s the last fighter, he has to be...Otherwise what would be the point of telling us that they’re aware of the demand? Might as well have kept silent.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
There have been things that hinted towards fighters before. Like Banjo, who got a renewal trademark and the recent merchandise made for him. Of course people thought it meant nothing but then it happened.

I get it, people say these things because they don’t wanna get their hopes up and be disappointed. I believe he’s the last fighter, he has to be...Otherwise what would be the point of telling us that they’re aware of the demand? Might as well have kept silent.
If that Mario Sports Trademark ISN’T For Smash..I’ll be so surprised.

If not Smash,what could it be for??

Top Bottom