• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi as dlc for Super Smash Bros Ultimate timeline speculation

2018 - Waluigi was revealed to be an assist trophy at E3 which caused an outrage! It was so huge that it even caught Nintendo off guard. A month later, Reggie said that Sakurai would be aware of the groundswell support for Waluigi to be a playable fighter.

2019 - In June just a few days before E3, a user on Discord called Paragon shared some info he heard from insiders. The leak claimed Hero and Banjo would be at E3 and that there was Undertale content coming to the game, though he assumed it was a fighter because he got access to the megalovania track, not knowing it turned out to be a mii costume coming with the track! And finally, he was told Waluigi was last. E3 happen and Hero and Banjo were indeed shown at E3. Months later, we got the fourth fighter Terry Bogard and to everyone’s surprise, a Sans mii costume that came with a music track! Plus we were told more dlc was on the way!

2020 - After Byleth was released, a few months later a mod for Super smash bros brawl called Legacy XP was mysteriously taken down. It was unknown why, but it’s possible it might have been interfering with Nintendo’s plans for the dlc as it has a few characters not playable in an official smash game. One of them being Waluigi. Several months later, a mysterious trademark just showed up out of nowhere simply called Mario Sports. It’s unclear what the purpose of this trademark is as it’s not a renewel but in fact a newly registered trademark. To this day, nothing has been shown for what this trademark is for, it’s possible it could be tied to smash’s dlc as a challenger pack themed around Mario sports with Waluigi as the fighter!

2021 - During a Nintendo switch mini ad on youtube, a odd Waluigi render was shown off that has never been seen before! It’s possible it’s just for the new game Mario party Superstars, but it is interesting how they bothered to go the extra mile of showing off this unique render for him just for an ad. And finally Sakurai posted a anniversary tweet for Mario tennis and Waluigi. Which isn’t unusual for Sakurai to do but it is a funny coincidence that the last two fighters got an anniversary tweet BEFORE they were revealed.

Tl;dr, basically the acknowledgement of the Waluigi outcry, the Paragon leak, the legacy xp takedown, the Mario sports trademark and Nintendo’s sudden urge to use Waluigi in marketing is in my opinion all of the crucial points that could potentially lead to Waluigi be the last dlc fighter.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If that Mario Sports Trademark ISN’T For Smash..I’ll be so surprised.

If not Smash,what could it be for??
Good question. We already got a tennis game and a golf game on switch. The only other thing I can think of if not smash is if it’s a game. But we just got a sport game this year. So I find it highly suspicious.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Good question. We already got a tennis game and a golf game on switch. The only other thing I can think of if not smash is if it’s a game. But we just got a sport game this year. So I find it highly suspicious.
Yeah no,Like..There’s LITERALLY No way it’s for a Sports Game this Year,Considering we already have Mario Golf Super Rush out this year.

And Considering We had that Banjo-Kazooie Trademark and NOTHING Lead to it really other than Small things of Merch and Banjo getting into Smash..It’s possible that it could be for Smash,IF..There’s no Mario Sports Mix/Superstars like title planned for Next Year or something.

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
So I was thinking about what Waluigi could have for his Spirit Board if he was the last character, and I thought of one of two ideas. The first one was that he could use Spirits from Mario games that didn’t have any representation in Smash. Those being Luigi’s Mansion 3 with Gooigi, Hellen Gravely, and Goob, and Super Mario Maker 2 with Builder Luigi, Builder Toad, Builder Toadette, and the Hammer Powerup with a couple of Mario Tennis Aces Spirits like Tennis Wario and Tennis Pauline. I mainly thought of this being Waluigi’s Spirit Board for a while. But, I just thought of a second idea that would make more sense. That being Waluigi’s Spirit Board using characters from the Camelot Mario Sports and Mario Party games. These being Joe, Azalea (both from Mario Golf on the N64 & GBC), Alex, Kate (both from Mario Tennis on the N64 & GBC), Lucien, Brighton & Twilia, Tumble, Millennium Star, Sacred Flamebeast, Snow King, and Foreman Spike if he was based on his Mario Golf design.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi as dlc for Super Smash Bros Ultimate timeline speculation

2018 - Waluigi was revealed to be an assist trophy at E3 which caused an outrage! It was so huge that it even caught Nintendo off guard. A month later, Reggie said that Sakurai would be aware of the groundswell support for Waluigi to be a playable fighter.

2019 - In June just a few days before E3, a user on Discord called Paragon shared some info he heard from insiders. The leak claimed Hero and Banjo would be at E3 and that there was Undertale content coming to the game, though he assumed it was a fighter because he got access to the megalovania track, not knowing it turned out to be a mii costume coming with the track! And finally, he was told Waluigi was last. E3 happen and Hero and Banjo were indeed shown at E3. Months later, we got the fourth fighter Terry Bogard and to everyone’s surprise, a Sans mii costume that came with a music track! Plus we were told more dlc was on the way!

2020 - After Byleth was released, a few months later a mod for Super smash bros brawl called Legacy XP was mysteriously taken down. It was unknown why, but it’s possible it might have been interfering with Nintendo’s plans for the dlc as it has a few characters not playable in an official smash game. One of them being Waluigi. Several months later, a mysterious trademark just showed up out of nowhere simply called Mario Sports. It’s unclear what the purpose of this trademark is as it’s not a renewel but in fact a newly registered trademark. To this day, nothing has been shown for what this trademark is for, it’s possible it could be tied to smash’s dlc as a challenger pack themed around Mario sports with Waluigi as the fighter!

2021 - During a Nintendo switch mini ad on youtube, a odd Waluigi render was shown off that has never been seen before! It’s possible it’s just for the new game Mario party Superstars, but it is interesting how they bothered to go the extra mile of showing off this unique render for him just for an ad. And finally Sakurai posted a anniversary tweet for Mario tennis and Waluigi. Which isn’t unusual for Sakurai to do but it is a funny coincidence that the last two fighters got an anniversary tweet BEFORE they were revealed.

Tl;dr, basically the acknowledgement of the Waluigi outcry, the Paragon leak, the legacy xp takedown, the Mario sports trademark and Nintendo’s sudden urge to use Waluigi in marketing is in my opinion all of the crucial points that could potentially lead to Waluigi be the last dlc fighter.
Aside from the paragon thing which is just a fan taking a guess at who will join the roster, the rest is very interesting speculation. And I mean, it's not like it's based on pure meaningless things like leaks, colors, pictures or numbers or things like that, it's based on official things (acknowledgement of the outcry, mod taken down likely because of Nintendo wanting to sell something like a DLC that use the same assets as the mod and since in that case they are considered competitors, Nintendo got rid of them, new registered trademark...)

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Aside from the paragon thing which is just a fan taking a guess at who will join the roster, the rest is very interesting speculation. And I mean, it's not like it's based on pure meaningless things like leaks, colors, pictures or numbers or things like that, it's based on official things (acknowledgement of the outcry, mod taken down likely because of Nintendo wanting to sell something like a DLC that use the same assets as the mod and since in that case they are considered competitors, Nintendo got rid of them, new registered trademark...)
From what I understand, Paragon wasn't just 'a fan taking a guess' he actually had some legit info, and did get a C&D letter from Nintendo's lawyers.

I think there's more to the Paragon leak than what some are giving it credit for.

I think Nintendo actually did pick Waluigi as the last DLC fighter for Fighters Pass 2 around the time before E3 2019.

Nintendo did hint at Waluigi last year with a strange pic.
View attachment 278281
View attachment 278282
This screenshot is from the Nintendo Switch news channel. It was an article about the Zoom in/out feature, the picture is basically "Where's Wally (or Where's Waldo)".
The article was published on 5/27/2019, one or two weeks before E3 2019.
View attachment 278288
View attachment 278289

That's when Nintendo started pushing for Waluigi, putting him in every ad, mentioning him at every possibility.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand, Paragon wasn't just 'a fan taking a guess' he actually had some legit info, and did get a C&D letter from Nintendo's lawyers.

I think there's more to the Paragon leak than what some are giving it credit for.

I think Nintendo actually did pick Waluigi as the last DLC fighter for Fighters Pass 2 around the time before E3 2019.

That's when Nintendo started pushing for Waluigi, putting him in every ad, mentioning him at every possibility.
How do we know that he got a C&D from Nintendo's lawyers? In this day and age, almost everyone makes **** up on the internet. And it's super easy to make a fake post on Discord. Who knows, he could have totally posted a random post, wait until the end of E3, edit his post to put what happened at E3 and posting a screenshot of that. If this leak happened after E3, then it's very suspicious.

Nintendo probably picked the characters of FP2 not too long before E3 2019 like they did with FP1 in 2018.
It's also possible that the production for FP2 began in March 2020, I think it's a possibility mainly because it was in march that they did the guess who game with ARMS characters (it's also around march 2020 that the LXP mod was taken down I think)

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I think if the Mario sports trademark is related to super smash bros ultimate, there’s three things it could be. It’s either for a fighter, a mii costume or a spirit event.

Edit: I just found something very interesting. I was watching through old smash directs and there is one part in the August direct where Sakurai talks about the music. At one point, he says ”If a track doesn’t have a corresponding fighter or stage or if it’s a one game series then it’s in the other section”. This could possibly mean that the Mario sports trademark is for the music section as It might get it’s own separate folder if it gets a fighter or stage, currently it doesn’t have one.

Although to be fair the sport music is in the Super Mario section, so maybe it’s nothing.

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
There’s a Tournament Event for Ultimate called “Pinball Pandemonium” 😳😳😳

Waluigi Pinball

Pandemonium is a Song (In Ultimate) from Mario Party 9

Could This be a Hint Towards Waluigi’s Inclusion??

Haha Just Kidding!

…Unless 👀

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Some people have been theorizing that the last character is a mute. Because there‘s no more room for voice slots. What do you think of this? I hope it doesn’t mean anything, but…It’s possible that we might just get a mii costume for Waluigi IF that trademark is for smash.
E604EE10-0687-4DBB-A94F-0F3F63690D76.jpeg

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Some people have been theorizing that the last character is a mute. Because there‘s no more room for voice slots. What do you think of this? I hope it doesn’t mean anything, but…It’s possible that we might just get a mii costume for Waluigi IF that trademark is for smash. View attachment 324795
I don't really have that much faith in theorising by slots, since it seems like we'll be left with empty spaces in several other categories anyway. The final challenger pack likely won't fill out the remaining open slots for stages, music and whatever else by itself. If I'm not mistaken, earlier Smash games haven't ended without empty slots, either.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I don't really have that much faith in theorising by slots, since it seems like we'll be left with empty spaces in several other categories anyway. The final challenger pack likely won't fill out the remaining open slots for stages, music and whatever else by itself. If I'm not mistaken, earlier Smash games haven't ended without empty slots, either.
Even though there is no more slots left on the sound test, they could just reorganize it to add one more.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
If Waluigi’s the Final Fighter I could probably see the Theme for His Mii Costumes being Popular Assist Trophy Characters.

Shadow,Alucard,Shovel Knight,Krystal,Etc

Shovel Knight 100% fits for a Deluxe Costume though,Especially since we got Bomberman with Steve.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If Waluigi’s the Final Fighter I could probably see the Theme for His Mii Costumes being Popular Assist Trophy Characters.

Shadow,Alucard,Shovel Knight,Krystal,Etc

Shovel Knight 100% fits for a Deluxe Costume though,Especially since we got Bomberman with Steve.
I think they’ll bring back that red shell hat because it’s Mario related.

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
Well, this is a bit odd. We didn’t receive a Spirit Event or Tournament when they’re usually announced on Tuesday. I thought that maybe they were planning on doing something big like a new stage with Small Battlefield, but that released on August 4 last year, which was a Tuesday. So I don’t know why it wasn’t announced.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Well I guess it could still happen but you would think they would hold these off for his spirit board if that was the case.
To be Fair,I’m pretty sure Some Base Game Spirits (That have also been in a Spirit Event before) Have been in a Fighter’s DLC Spirit Board.

So it could still be Possible maybe that they could toss these in with Waluigi,If not them..At Least Wario’s Render which isn’t AT ALL Present in the Event nor is Waluigi’s.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
To be Fair,I’m pretty sure Some Base Game Spirits (That have also been in a Spirit Event before) Have been in a Fighter’s DLC Spirit Board.

So it could still be Possible maybe that they could toss these in with Waluigi,If not them..At Least Wario’s Render which isn’t AT ALL Present in the Event nor is Waluigi’s.
But why not just wait to show these on his spirit board. Unless they’re teasing us but I’m not sure about that...

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
But why not just wait to show these on his spirit board. Unless they’re teasing us but I’m not sure about that...
I’m not so sure either.

But hey,At least Waluigi HIMSELF Didn’t appear in that event.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I’m not gonna say it deconfirms him because at this point nothing really does. Some of the dlc fighters were thought to be deconfirmed but it still happened so who knows. The only way to truly know his fate for the dlc is to just show us the final fighter.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Why do people worry so much about spirits? It doesn't matter at all. Nobody cares about spirits, they're just images. They could throw in whatever spirits they want and reuse some like they did with ARMS and it wouldn't matter. I guess it's techincally something that is included as part of the DLC package, but it never shows up on the promotional. I seriously doubt people would care that much that all of the spirits in Waluigi's hypothetical spirit event are old renders instead of new renders of the same characters that would show up in the board anyway.

"No potential for spirit event" has to be one of the dumbest arguments for any character ever. I hate how obsessed people are with these images of characters, they mean nothing..

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Why do people worry so much about spirits? It doesn't matter at all. Nobody cares about spirits, they're just images. They could throw in whatever spirits they want and reuse some like they did with ARMS and it wouldn't matter. I guess it's techincally something that is included as part of the DLC package, but it never shows up on the promotional. I seriously doubt people would care that much that all of the spirits in Waluigi's hypothetical spirit event are old renders instead of new renders of the same characters that would show up in the board anyway.

"No potential for spirit event" has to be one of the dumbest arguments for any character ever. I hate how obsessed people are with these images of characters, they mean nothing..
I guess I’m just worried that this all the Mario golf super rush representation were getting in the game. Instead of having Waluigi as a fighter to rep the game. Hopefully he’s still the last fighter and there will be more spirits for this game that comes with him. There’s still other characters in the game that don’t have spirits.

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
This is just me, but I feel like this new Spirit Event means nothing. They’re just the regular Mario characters but with their Golf outfits. Waluigi wasn’t even featured in it. And I feel like Waluigi could still have the bosses be Spirits in his Spirit Board.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I guess I’m just worried that this all the Mario golf super rush representation were getting in the game. Instead of having Waluigi as a fighter to rep the game. Hopefully he’s still the last fighter and there will be more spirits for this game that comes with him. There’s still other characters in the game that don’t have spirits.
It's mario though. Of course it's gonna get a spirit event. That doesn't rule out Waluigi, they'll add more Mario content whenever they get a chance.

Also I doubt the Mario Golf Super Rush spirits would have been used for Waluigi anyway.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
This is just me, but I feel like this new Spirit Event means nothing. They’re just the regular Mario characters but with their Golf outfits. Waluigi wasn’t even featured in it. And I feel like Waluigi could still have the bosses be Spirits in his Spirit Board.
Plus the bosses from Mario tennis aces, perhaps?

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think it rules out Waluigi just yet. Arms got a fighter even though it already had content in the base game. And they even reused that content for the Arms dlc. So who’s to say we might get Waluigi with some more Aces and Super rush spirits along with base game spirits.

edit: Also why didn’t they hold back the tekken mii costume for the tekken fighter?

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I don’t think it rules out Waluigi just yet. Arms got a fighter even though it already had content in the base game. And they even reused that content for the Arms dlc. So who’s to say we might get Waluigi with some more Aces and Super rush spirits along with base game spirits.

edit: Also why didn’t they hold back the tekken mii costume for the tekken fighter?
Probably to Jape us into Thinking that a Tekken Fighter wasn’t happening.

Idk if that ACTUALLY was the case but,If it was..HOO BOY Sakurai’s a Genius Mad Man as always.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Probably to Jape us into Thinking that a Tekken Fighter wasn’t happening.

Idk if that ACTUALLY was the case but,If it was..HOO BOY Sakurai’s a Genius Mad Man as always.
I was just reading an old comment from 2020 that thought a Tekken character wasn’t happening due to the mii costume.

Spirit events deconfirming a game/character from happening is just another fan rule. We’ll see what happens...

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I’m pretty sure this spirit event was to coincide with the new update given the timing. On another note, Papagenos pointed out in his recent video that the official twitter account https://twitter.com/smashbrosjp?s=21 hasn’t tweeted about the spirit event which is weird because they always do.

Btw, here’s the video in case you want to watch it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom