• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong, I'm very, VERY excited about what Sephiroth/no Geno means for Waluigi's chances but we should learn from the crucial mistake a lot of the Geno fanbase made (multiple times I should add) - WALUIGI. IS. NOT. GAURANTEED.

When FP11 comes around and it ends up being 2B or Jonesy Fortnite or something, do not act like Sakurai owed us something and didn't deliver. It's fine to be disappointed, it's fine to be salty, but it is not fine to act like Nintendo are delivering an incomplete product simply because of Waluigi's absence.

He’s far from a guarantee. I don’t even like when people constantly say certain characters are likely; the truth is that there are thousands of candidates and people just dedicate tons of hours to finding circumstantial evidence for specific characters to try to put them above the rest. It’s fun and I enjoy reading about it but man, at this point we should all recognize that Sakurai will do whatever he wants and making assumptions about what he will/won’t do is just setting up for disappointment, like you said. I’m just here for the ride and whether Wah gets in or not Ultimate is still a masterpiece and my favorite game.

We’ve come such a long way from some of my fondest childhood memories of playing the original roster of 12 first party characters on the n64 with my brother. It’s crazy how far the game has come already, my kid self wouldn’t even be able to conceptualize the idea of a roster with ~80 characters including names like Sonic, pac-man, Ryu, freaking Ridley and K. Rool... it’s insane when you think about it- that’s why I’m grateful for the game we have already, I’d love Waluigi getting in (my kids elf always wanted him too haha) but if it doesn’t happen you won’t find me complaining unless they stick in another meme Mario rep over him.

Sorry for the rant but I love this game so much haha and I do get a tad salty when certain fan bases act entitled to their character like you alluded to, and go as far as to call the game trash just because the odds for their pick look grim.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Don't get me wrong, I'm very, VERY excited about what Sephiroth/no Geno means for Waluigi's chances but we should learn from the crucial mistake a lot of the Geno fanbase made (multiple times I should add) - WALUIGI. IS. NOT. GAURANTEED.

When FP11 comes around and it ends up being 2B or Jonesy Fortnite or something, do not act like Sakurai owed us something and didn't deliver. It's fine to be disappointed, it's fine to be salty, but it is not fine to act like Nintendo are delivering an incomplete product simply because of Waluigi's absence.
I agree. While it's nice to think that Waluigi has a good shot in getting that promotion, it's best to remain cautiously optimistic. I was that way with K. Rool when Ridley was confirmed until K. Rool got the nod down the road. Same thing with Banjo & Kazooie. There was evidence stacking up in their favor, but I didn't want to guarantee their inclusion until I saw them in with my own eyes.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I won’t lie, I would be upset if they don’t make him a fighter just because of the fact that they bothered to acknowledge the demand. Seriously if you weren’t gonna include him, why bother acknowledging the support?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I won’t lie, I would be upset if they don’t make him a fighter just because of the fact that they bothered to acknowledge the demand. Seriously if you weren’t gonna include him, why bother acknowledging the support?
Tbf Reggie only said that he'll let Sakurai know about the demand but whether he gets in or not is up to the big man himself, they never promised they'll put Waluigi in. Regardless, the acknowledgment is a net positive overall even if Waluigi doesn't get in the second pass, it shows to Nintendo that the fans want to see Waluigi in more games.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
We might get Waluigi as a deluxe Mii Costume. He could be for all mii fighter types.

Here's a wallpaper of the Robotic Nightmare/Super Team Bot from Super Mario Srtikers that is based on Waluigi.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Call me a wishful thinker - in fact some may dare say this goes against what I said earlier - but if Geno's Mii Costume doesn't show up in Sephiroth's presentation I feel that'd be somewhat in Waluigi's favour more than Geno's.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Call me a wishful thinker - in fact some may dare say this goes against what I said earlier - but if Geno's Mii Costume doesn't show up in Sephiroth's presentation I feel that'd be somewhat in Waluigi's favour more than Geno's.
Nah, I feel like this is the time to reveal it. It’s a square character, it makes sense to have a costume based on a square character along with the chocobo returning.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
wtf ?? how geno's mii costume not showing up with sephiroth would be in favor of waluigi ?? because then it would show up with waluigi ?
i also think that it is time for the inevitable costume to come back with a deluxe upgrade and it's probably going to be announced this week

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
wtf ?? how geno's mii costume not showing up with sephiroth would be in favor of waluigi ?? because then it would show up with waluigi ?
i also think that it is time for the inevitable costume to come back with a deluxe upgrade and it's probably going to be announced this week
I can see it tbh. Geno is definitely going to be in the game in some form or fashion, I think we can all agree upon that. I personally think he's more likely to be a costume again than a fighter... If they don't reveal him with the square rep then it would imply there is another suitable rep to reveal him alongside.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I can see it tbh. Geno is definitely going to be in the game in some form or fashion, I think we can all agree upon that. I personally think he's more likely to be a costume again than a fighter... If they don't reveal him with the square rep then it would imply there is another suitable rep to reveal him alongside.
Yeah I agree. If the costume doesn’t show up on the 17th, then it’s probably being saved for later. Since he’s a Mario character, maybe it’ll be with a Mario character?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Yeah, I agree. If the costume doesn’t show up on the 17th, then it’s probably being saved for later. Since he’s a Mario character, maybe it’ll be with a Mario character?
If Geno doesn't show up with Sephiroth, another possibility is that his Mii Costume could come with Crono (both SNES JRPG characters) in a theoretical Fighters Pass Vol. 3. Assuming he's not fully playable in a theoretical Vol. 3 himself. However, a Mario character like Waluigi or King Boo might work too.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
From another thread:
I think Piranha Plant would be a cool assist trophy for the next game. I liked the idea of him in this game, I just hope he's not in the next one :p
It's already been confirmed that assist trophies can be promoted to playable in sequels. As seen with Little Mac and Dark Samus. But is it possible for playable characters to be demoted to assist trophies, non-fighter spirits, or mii costumes in sequels?

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
From another thread:

It's already been confirmed that assist trophies can be promoted to playable in sequels. As seen with Little Mac and Dark Samus. But is it possible for playable characters to be demoted to assist trophies, non-fighter spirits, or mii costumes in sequels?
I think that that is the sad truth for a lot of characters if we DO get a true sequel, rather than a remaster/remake. Smash Ultimate is what it sounds like- it's Ultimate. There won't be another roster this big, so surely some characters will get cut from the playable roster and hopefully represented in other ways rather than just entirely cut. This goes mainly for 1st party characters, if a 3rd party is cut from playable I doubt that they would get a mii costume or something; if they go through the trouble of getting the rights for that they'd just make them playable or save them for a DLC. It wont surprise me at all if we see some first party characters get demoted to other forms of representation to not only trim down the roster a bit but also to give other 1st party characters a turn. Perfect example is Piranha Plant... like yeah he was funny and all, but like... there's Waluigi, Toad, King Boo, Wart, Fawful, Paper Mario/tons of original characters from the Paper Mario universe. All of them were passed on for a Piranha Plant. If there was one character that I could choose to replace for a different member from their same series, it would be Plant. Not just for Waluigi, but because there are so many unique characters that they could have chosen that are full of personality. They could spice up the Zelda representation in the next game too, with the 4 champions that could be potential replacements for one or two of the three variants of Link. Fire emblem representation would likely (hopefully) be trimmed down in favor of other first party reps as well.

This isn't absolute, Sakurai could just say "hold my beer" and make a 100+ character roster next. I would not argue, I would gladly be wrong and eat my words in this situation.

Last edited:

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
Geno getting deconned may sting but it's done wonders for Waluigi's chances. Right now he is the most requested, and honestly most likely speculated Mario rep. If Nintendo themselves have acknowledged Waluigi support, I definitely think it means something. Granted, it's Nintendo of America, and I doubt they'd be choosing the Smash DLC, however Reggie (during his time as President of NoA) probably had a lot of connections with the NoJ side of things, meaning that whole "Sakurai will be aware" thing might mean a lot more than we thought.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
Took some time to process the Sephiroth video and it's a shame what happened to Geno, I was really hoping he'd at least become a deluxe mii or even a bonus alongside the Waah.

Speaking of Waluigi, this now makes him the top candidate for a Mario rep. I think we should still be cautious, anything can happen no matter how much evidence may be in favor of a character and their chances. For now, lets stay optimistic and see what happens

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Took some time to process the Sephiroth video and it's a shame what happened to Geno, I was really hoping he'd at least become a deluxe mii or even a bonus alongside the Waah.

Speaking of Waluigi, this now makes him the top candidate for a Mario rep. I think we should still be cautious, anything can happen no matter how much evidence may be in favor of a character and their chances. For now, lets stay optimistic and see what happens
I still have hope for him, but I know it’s still possible he might not make it.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Well either way, hope this gives a Little hope to Waluigi now he has a little less competition regarding other Mario characters getting in (thou Geno being alongside the Square characters costumes makes me think he's not really considered a full Mario character anyway), though we still ultimately don't know if they really will upgrade an assist trophy in the current game, but hey, here's hoping.

Also, I feel the "caco-mallow" leak is pretty much dead, considering mallow would have definitely been featured alongside Geno if that was real. Unless a third sqaure character is coming, which I doubt but who knows. Doom Guy still seems likely despite that "leak" seemingly dying, at least to me.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Well, well, well. Interesting turn of events for the Wah in the past few weeks. As a (decent) human, my heart goes out for the Geno fans and hope that they can find some level of peace and comfort with the gunner costume, and wish them luck for the next game (or potentially fighters pass 3 if by a miracle that happens). As a Waluigi fan I must admit this is good news for us. If another Mario rep is chosen, Waluigi would seemingly be the guy unless they pick King Boo, Paper Mario, or another wild card like Piranha Plant. I’ve gotta say that against those names I like his odds a lot better than I liked his odds against Geno.

With the official Waluigi controller coming out early 2021, Mario sports game coming out early 2021, and all of the other Waluigi speculation still in contention, I’ve gotta say I’m cautiously optimistic at this point. The stage has been set, now we just have to wait and see if these things are just happy coincidences or if they might really be the beginning of our dream come true.

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
Well, well, well. Interesting turn of events for the Wah in the past few weeks. As a (decent) human, my heart goes out for the Geno fans and hope that they can find some level of peace and comfort with the gunner costume, and wish them luck for the next game (or potentially fighters pass 3 if by a miracle that happens). As a Waluigi fan I must admit this is good news for us. If another Mario rep is chosen, Waluigi would seemingly be the guy unless they pick King Boo, Paper Mario, or another wild card like Piranha Plant. I’ve gotta say that against those names I like his odds a lot better than I liked his odds against Geno.

With the official Waluigi controller coming out early 2021, Mario sports game coming out early 2021, and all of the other Waluigi speculation still in contention, I’ve gotta say I’m cautiously optimistic at this point. The stage has been set, now we just have to wait and see if these things are just happy coincidences or if they might really be the beginning of our dream come true.
I swear, everytime someone speaks of Potted Plant, I die a little inside. I was super in for Waluigi at the time, and the fact that this screwball got in before him?

The fact that a plant got in completely destroys all side character arguments against characters like Geno in the first place. Potted Plant isn't even a character, they could've at least used Petey.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I swear, everytime someone speaks of Potted Plant, I die a little inside. I was super in for Waluigi at the time, and the fact that this screwball got in before him?

The fact that a plant got in completely destroys all side character arguments against characters like Geno in the first place. Potted Plant isn't even a character, they could've at least used Petey.
I like :ultpiranha:, but this is so true.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

I’ll never be able to understand the inclusion of a generic piranha plant over Waluigi, King Boo, Paper Mario, etc.. just can’t wrap my head around it, but it’s probably because I tend to try to think way too logically, when plant is clearly a joke character. Like you said I wish they would’ve at least done Petey Piranha rather than just Piranha Plant.

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
I’ll never be able to understand the inclusion of a generic piranha plant over Waluigi, King Boo, Paper Mario, etc.. just can’t wrap my head around it, but it’s probably because I tend to try to think way too logically, when plant is clearly a joke character. Like you said I wish they would’ve at least done Petey Piranha rather than just Piranha Plant.
I think it bothers me far more that Nintendo sees all the support for Waluigi and does nothing with it. Psycho Waluigi is amazing, they ought to just buy it and port it to Switch.

I would probably take a game where Waluigi stars as the main character/antagonist over him being included in Smash, but that could just be me. I'm sort of sick of him getting dunked on for being the sports mascot.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Plant is just a joke character added because of it's wtf factor, Sakurai already said he added Plant because it's so weird and different from everyone in the roster. There's no reason to treat Plant's inclusion the same as anyone else or be mad about it. It's inclusion is just like G&W and R.O.B, it was never in competition with Waluigi or any other fan favorite character since it had a different criteria for it's inclusion.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Plant is just a joke character added because of it's wtf factor, Sakurai already said he added Plant because it's so weird and different from everyone in the roster. There's no reason to treat Plant's inclusion the same as anyone else or be mad about it. It's inclusion is just like G&W and R.O.B, it was never in competition with Waluigi or any other fan favorite character since it had a different criteria for it's inclusion.
It's a joke, yes, but a joke that takes the ressources needed for making a character playable. We can disagree with the idea that every Smash needs a joke character, and we can find the joke funny or not. Besides, Mr. G&W and R.O.B. are on a different league than the Plant: they were both extremely important to the video game industry. The Plant cannot compare to that.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
It's a joke, yes, but a joke that takes the ressources needed for making a character playable. We can disagree with the idea that every Smash needs a joke character, and we can find the joke funny or not. Besides, Mr. G&W and R.O.B. are on a different league than the Plant: they were both extremely important to the video game industry. The Plant cannot compare to that.
Imho :ultpiranha: is more fun to play than both of :ultgnw::ultrob:.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Papagenos heard evidence of Geno and Waluigi being in this fighter pass a little while back. Now we know Geno’s a mii costume, what will Waluigi’s fate be?
I've actually been thinking about this since the Sephiroth confirmation, the Legacy XP thing right? I believe he said "Waluigi or Geno" not "Waluigi and Geno" so take that as you will.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I wish their was a way to search through old pins on Discord, but yeah he heard something regarding Legacy XP's takedown and that it could help Waluigi or Geno's chances getting into Ultimate. I think Nintendo taking down Legacy XP is actually very important here. I know people joke/get mad at Nintendo for taking fan stuff down but their is a pattern.

Project M was taken down in December 2015 around SSB4's Final Video Presentation. Why? Because Nintendo was still releasing DLC for Sm4sh and working on Ultimate. That Metroid fan game from a few years ago was taken down because Nintendo was working on their own Metroid game that was set to release soon (Metroid Returns on the 3DS). The Mario Battle Royale game was taken down because Nintendo was working on Super Mario Bros. 35. Nintendo struck down a fan-made Smashified Megalovania song since Sans would soon be coming to Smash with Megalovania (albeit a Mii costume).

I'm not gonna get into whether Nintendo's legal practices are good or bad but the point is that most of the time they do this for a reason. I say most because their was no reason for them to strike down Mother 4 or any of those other fan made games with their IPs if they're not doing anything with them but that's not the point-

Legacy XP was DMCA'd for a reason. It could have been because they wanted to promote Geno coming back to Smash as a costume or because they wanted to promote Waluigi coming to Smash as a fighter. Either way, I really think we should keep the Legacy XP takedown in the back of our heads along with Mario's 35th, the possible Mario Sports game, and all other things currently pointing to Waluigi.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well now that Geno’s a mii costume, I wonder what papageno thinks of that evidence now?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Well now that Geno’s a mii costume, I wonder what papageno thinks of that evidence now?
I think other than talking about it initially he hasn’t really talked about it since and prefers not to comment on it for fear of legal troubles, because supposedly it was pretty convincing evidence.
But yeah from what I read it seemed like the person who talked to him about it was pretty certain that Geno or Waluigi would be in due to the shutdown. Interestingly enough, I think Sephiroth was also a Legacy XP character so it’s entirely possible that the shutdown was for him and the guy who talked to papa baited him by saying Geno/Waluigi instead. If it wasn’t for Sephiroth then yeah it is great news for Waluigi and he ends up looking like he has a good chance. Just depends on who the shutdown was actually for; we might never know unless papa decides to just say screw it and make a full video over it.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I think other than talking about it initially he hasn’t really talked about it since and prefers not to comment on it for fear of legal troubles, because supposedly it was pretty convincing evidence.
But yeah from what I read it seemed like the person who talked to him about it was pretty certain that Geno or Waluigi would be in due to the shutdown. Interestingly enough, I think Sephiroth was also a Legacy XP character so it’s entirely possible that the shutdown was for him and the guy who talked to papa baited him by saying Geno/Waluigi instead. If it wasn’t for Sephiroth then yeah it is great news for Waluigi and he ends up looking like he has a good chance. Just depends on who the shutdown was actually for; we might never know unless papa decides to just say screw it and make a full video over it.
Sephiroth is not in the legacy xp mod.

Top Bottom