• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a NEW tier list?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Seriously this one just doesn't seem right at ALL to me and i think its time we make a new one don't you guys?

Here is the orriginal tier list
Pikachu
Kirby
Ness*

High
Fox
Captain Falcon

Middle
Jigglypuff
Mario
Yoshi

Low
DK
Luigi

Bottom
Samus
Link

*Sometimes placed in high tier because of his easiest to intercept when coming back to the stage.
Now here are my complaints =D

• Link shouldn't be the very bottom of the tier list in my opinion. The only downside is that he has the WORST recovery in the game but i don't think it should make such a huge effect that it puts him to the bottom! I mean come on he's actually quite awesome with the sexy fair :p

• Kirby being TOP!? I'm not sure if i'm getting this right or not but this tier list again looks like a recovery tier list almost. Kirby may have awesome recovery but is extremely easy to hit while coming back on the stage. Also another reason they probably put Kirby top is because of his broken hit box with the tilt's. It MAY be broken but u can last forever and have you ever heard of DI?

• Falcon should be top in my opinion. Notice how ness is top tier cuss he can be insane if used just right. Well look at falcon he has TONS of 0-Death's and they can be pulled off easily if your skilled enough with falcon.

Really those are my only complains and i'm just waiting for people to flame me cuss i bet i'm wrong but this is MY opinion. Some of you may agree with me on these and i think a new tier list SHOULD be made.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No offense BHLMRO, but you're nowhere close to experienced enough to suggest changes to something as big as this.

I know I sure ain't.

I say take your beef up with isai xP

Zantetsu

Smash Master
No offense BHLMRO, but you're nowhere close to experienced enough to suggest changes to something as big as this.

I know I sure ain't.

I say take your beef up with isai xP
XD im not saying im going to change the tier list. Im just pointing things out that are "In my oppinion" Need to be fixed.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
It's fine, broken characters towards top, easier characters to kill towards bottom. Falcon shouldn't be top, he doesn't have the recovery power to be. His 0 - deaths are good, but he gets combo'd easily from every other character in the game. Kirby is top because he is the best made character overall. Broken hitboxes and cheap move speed. Link is the worst, no doubt.

Thank god no character is BAD in this game, there shouldn't be a low or bottom teir, just middle, high, and top.

ant-d

Smash Lord
It depends what your tier list represents.
KESHIKI said something about a tier list where human skill doesn't come into account. So just the raw mechanics of the character is judged.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It depends what your tier list represents.
Exactly. My tier list is based solely on a character's potential displayed by top players. Which would be something like this:

Top:
Pikachu
Fox
Kirby

High:
Falcon
Mario
Yoshi

Mid:
Link
Jigglypuff
DK
Luigi
Samus
Ness

Yes I think Ness is dead last because there are no amazing Ness' out there.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
...Yes, there are amazing Nesses out there. At least, there better be.
Haha ant-d. No human skill involved would be like, a 3 way tie between Fox's shine canceling, Yoshi's parries, and Ness DJC...

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Exactly. My tier list is based solely on a character's potential displayed by top players. Which would be something like this:

Top:
Pikachu
Fox
Kirby

High:
Falcon
Mario
Yoshi

Mid:
Link
Jigglypuff
DK
Luigi
Samus
Ness

Yes I think Ness is dead last because there are no amazing Ness' out there.
There's vids of some really good ones from Japan, but I don't know if that counts.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I disagree, maybe you don't understand exactly what I'm talking about. The technical tier list is actually a very good way of determining which characters are inherently better than others.

Yoshi would not be top. Yoshi's recovery can be easily destroyed, he is also slow. Also, parrying is not always the best thing to do. For example, if Fox fires a laser and runs behind it, it would be a bad idea to presume that Yoshi will parry the laser. If he does, then he will be punished by Fox.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
who cArEs about tiers i never made a complete list or anything all the lists in this topic are DUM
Yeah, well the thing is, in ssb64 if you're good enough with a character, the tiers mean way less than in melee, due to less characters and a simpler game (in some regards, in other ways smash64 is more complicated than melee in my opinion)

anyhow the only reason I posted that was to make a joke of this :

ssb64 section info thread said:
I think this is the generally accepted tier list. Anyone who disagrees, well. Nyah. Unless you're Isai,
hehe :p

Meh. this is my tier list :

Falcon
Falcon
Falcon

bottom

people who aren't falcon.

ant-d

Smash Lord
SSB is not competitive enough for a proper tier list. There are very few large tournaments compared to other fighting games which have proper tier lists. (SF series)

greenblob

Smash Lord
Shouldn't the tier list be based on the highest observed level of play? Which, in that case, would mean Isai's play makes up most of the list (I've never seen him play Yoshi and I also heard that there are better Nesses, Samuses, and DKs out there).

ant-d

Smash Lord
Tier lists are general about tournament match ups + frequency. Look at any decent fighting game and you'll see.

Generally there is a tier list for match ups and then another is derived from that to show the characters ability to place in large tournaments.

Clearly SSB would not fall into the decent fighting game category, based on the number of people that play and number of large tournaments held. So really you cannot make a proper tier list.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Glad to see Kirby still up there.

I have always trusted and respected tierlists to be accurate amongst the people who made them.

D

Deleted member

tiers don't make the game any different. just play the game.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Tier lists are general about tournament match ups + frequency. Look at any decent fighting game and you'll see.

Generally there is a tier list for match ups and then another is derived from that to show the characters ability to place in large tournaments.

Clearly SSB would not fall into the decent fighting game category, based on the number of people that play and number of large tournaments held. So really you cannot make a proper tier list.
Actually, you could still have a tier list, but it wouldn't be as good. The main problem is that no one can touch Isai. In most competitive games, there is no top player--either that or the top player just barely has an edge.

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
I agree that we need new Tier list but I also agree with antd there.
We wont have a proper list

Pikachu
Kirby
Fox

High

Captain Falcon
Mario
Jigglypuff
Ness

Middle

Luigi
Yoshi
Samus
DK
Link

nuro

Smash Lord
Just play the game. Tier list never make any sense. People who want to change or make tier lists don't know what they are talking about, always.

It is your skills that make you win not your character.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think Link should be higher because he can combo so easily and keep opponents away with projectiles. I mean just because his b up sucks dosn't mean he should be the worst. You still have to hit him off the edge. U can even use the b up as a finisher in a combo. I mean, I don't play as Link, but I've faced some link players that were at my skill level or lower and they are very hard to beat. Link isn't the best in the game, but he certatinly isn't the worst.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Just play the game. Tier list never make any sense. People who want to change or make tier lists don't know what they are talking about, always.

It is your skills that make you win not your character.
Tier list's DO matter for low and high tier tournaments. Im wanting to make sure if were going to change it before one of my tournaments which will be low tier.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
but low and high tier tournies are unfair in my opinion, cause if its a low tier tourney, and there's a dude who has been maining a high tier character all his life, go 1v1 against some other dude who has mained a low tier character, then the high tier guy winning wouldn't make sense...

Zantetsu

Smash Master
but low and high tier tournies are unfair in my opinion, cause if its a low tier tourney, and there's a dude who has been maining a high tier character all his life, go 1v1 against some other dude who has mained a low tier character, then the high tier guy winning wouldn't make sense...
And thats when you dont enter low/high tier tournies and you enter regular ones. Low/high tier tournies are ment for fun > anything.

greenblob

Smash Lord
tiers don't exist, they're mostly just the character rankings such as what character won the most tournies, when in real it just matters who played that character...
See, the thing is, for the vast majority of competitive fighting games, the top players are pretty much at an even playing field. And yet certain characters consistently come out on top.

The problem with Smash 64 is that the top player is much better than the rest of us.

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
Hi I'm a nub. Here is my opinion:

Pikachu
Kirby
Ness*

High
Fox
Captain Falcon

Middle
Jigglypuff
Mario
Yoshi

Low
DK
Luigi

Bottom
Samus
Link

*Sometimes placed in high tier because of his easiest to intercept when coming back to the stage.
The list looks OK to me, except for Ness being up there. It's Falcon that should be up there. Apart from being the fastest in the game, he's got the best priority in the game. Air up+A is pretty much the best move in the game. He can spike, his grabs offer good combos... what else do you want? I personally think he's better than Kirby because of his combo abilities, but oh well.

moogle

Smash Ace
the "official" tier list said:
^Is this really necessary? The order of the tier list doesn't matter too much to me, but this part stands out.

nesshero

Smash Cadet
the true tier list:

pikachu
fox

ness
kirby
captain falcon

jigglypuff

mario
yoshi

others

nesshero

Smash Cadet
dk, luigi, samus, and link can all be basically equally good, depending on the player, and they are all lower than yoshi

_kSo_

Smash Master
dk, luigi, samus, and link can all be basically equally good, depending on the player, and they are all lower than yoshi
you're wrong. DK is way better than samus or link. same could be said for luigi. But like you said, i guess it depends on the player. Im sure isai's link could **** your pika if you played him :)

Top Bottom