• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing! (Creation Thread)

How do you think this game should play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, my last thread was a ****show because admittedly, I know very little about the Warriors series and I really didn't prepare for it. For that, I'd like to extend my apologies for letting it rot and die, because I know there were a lot of people who were interested in it, and I apologise for letting them down. In response, I've actually prepared for this thread, and I'm hoping it goes a little better!

With that out of the way, I should explain: This thread will be focused on Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing, and creating a hypothetical new game in the series that would release later this year. My idea is in response to the... underwhelming reception to Team Sonic Racing, but also in response to the fact that this series is incredibly nostalgic for me personally :p

1638060298477.png

So, with this in mind - a new game in the series! Starting from scratch, we have a lot to work with. Let's get a list of our inventory so far: I think it'll be a good idea to take inspiration from other threads like this.

Sonic the Hedgehog
OutRun
Fantasy Zone
Phantasy Star
Streets of Rage
Ristar
SEGA Hardware/Peripherals
Golden Axe
Jet Set Radio
Monkey Ball
Alex Kidd

There we go! Anyways, with that aside, I hope you all have fun with this - and I hope I can keep this alive for a while. It's something I really hope we can sink our teeth into, and might just keep y'all interested for a while... at least, I hope. See you on the boards!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Henceforth, we arrive at the first jobs:

Job #1 - Submit a Playable Racer!
Whilst I've tossed Sonic in as a lock-in character, let's first fill out the roster with a new playable character. The only rule with this submission is that it has to be a first party, so characters from Atlus for example can't be submitted... yet. I'll get to a the whole situation with third parties later, but for now, go wild! Feel free to submit various ideas for how they'd play or what they'd drive, but the latter will be in a seperate job later on.

Job #2 - How Many Racers?
How many playable characters (basegame, at least,) do you think would be a reasonable amount to have? I'm not so much talking a Smash Ultimate type number, but at least a ballpark figure that's similar, if not slightly more, than other kart racers of its type.

Job #3 - Gameplay?
Whilst this isn't really a job, it's more a question - should this game revert to a more traditional kart racer type the likes of the original game or competitors like Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing, or should it keep the transformation mechanic between karts, boats and planes that was present in the second game?

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Sorry if this felt rushed. It is. (I might do some touch up and sprinkle fairy dust on it later but not right now).

Job #1: Tails

1638061094696.png

Tails is Sonic's best friend :3

Job #2: 48 Characters

I'll start off saying I don't know much about the genre, so I just looked up how many characters were in Dynasty Warriors 9 and found 90 playable characters (obviously too much, so I divided it in half and added 3 because 45 to me is a weird number), so that's how I got 48. I think this is a great number to get the mainstays like Sonic and Eggman while giving big wiggle room for obscure and less used characters (like Tails Doll) and for the OCs (like Sonics Dakimakura).
Okay aside from saying I don't know much about the genre and Sonic's Dakimakura, this fits surprisingly well. Also, I would like to see 48 unironically

Job #3: Mostly remain unchanged

The gameplay of the first two games were really solid, I don't see a need to change them that much.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #1: Hornet (Daytona USA)

0E69CA08-360D-4702-9CE8-A9E15C3602AD.jpeg

Gonna get one of the more obvious ones out of the way, because a Daytona rep is way too good of an idea for a racing game. Daytona USA is not just one of Sega’s most iconic racing games, but also one of the most recognizable arcade racers period. And considering All-Stars Racing is a crossover between some of Sega’s most iconic properties, Hornet in ASR feels like a match made in heaven. Hornet’s not just a excellent racer, he’s also got hands, as was shown with his appearance in Fighters Megamix.

Job #2
I think 40 is a nice round number to cap things off at. It’s a considerable step up from Transformed’s 30 character roster and allows enough room for both newcomers and returning veterans from ASR1, while not being too much of a massive leap. It very much feels like a natural progression in my opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Great thread. I agree that SEGA All-Stars were both great racing games and it's a shame they are apparently abandoned. It'll be nice to visit the theme.

Job #1: Ulala (Space Channel 5)
1638083238702.png

Here's a reporter who needs no introduction. Ulala is a major SEGA fan favorite, her game is a cult classic loved by fans and developers alike and she even got a new game (albeit a VR one) a few years back that gave her a funky new look.

She (along with Alex Kidd, NİGHTS, Amigo, Beat, and AiAi) has a perfect attendance to All-Star sports games and I think there is no reason to not include her. She'd race in her usual Astro Glider, but with a new coat of blue paint to complement her new look.

Job #2 - 45

All-Star Racing Transformed had around 30 characters. I think we can realistically add 10 characters to it and round up to a nice number with a few "clone" characters.

Job #3 - Traditional

I liked the transforming mechanic but I think it really limited the type of vehicles/characters that can be added. I say we keep the land tracks but maybe find a way to add innovative mechanics and maybe keep the tracks just as varied and interesting.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Time to start up the race with a original phenomenon itself, shall we?

Job #1: New Driver - Alberto & Clarissa (OutRun)

AlbertoClarissa.png

OutRun, as every hardcore SEGA fan/gamer knows, is the legendary racing game, which was designed by Yu Suzuki himself and released on arcades in September 1986, having multiple ports and sequels like Turbo OutRun, OutRunners (a Splash Wave remix for Speed Weed Speed Weed ), OutRun Europa, OutRun 2019 and OutRun 2. It is known for its pioneering hardware with a hydraulic deluxe motion simulator cabinet, non-linear gameplay that differs from usual racing games back then and a selectable soundtrack which consists of iconic songs composed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi such as Magical Sound Shower (every single version), Splash Wave and Passing Breeze, having influenced numerous racing video games such as Forza Horizon, Need for Speed, etc., became one of the best-selling arcade games at the time and even inspired the synthwave music genre.

I chose these two people because Sumo Digital themselves (who developed the All-Stars Racing games) has worked on the franchise since OutRun 2's Xbox port, where these two actually made their debut in 2003, even having developed OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast for PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Windows, and then OutRun Online Arcade for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2009. They even included OutRun-based stages on SEGA Superstars Tennis and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Of course, Alberto will drive the series' iconic, signature red Ferrari Testarossa Spider, which has been around since the original arcade game (the car was even manufactured the same year). When they pick up a item/power-up, Clarissa will hold it with her hand and then either throw it forward or drop it behind them towards approaching racers.

Their All-Star Move would be based on sequel installments, Turbo OutRun and OutRun 2, with Alberto starting on Testarossa's turbo boosters to drive up with higher drift/speed stats and able to stun racers by bumping them, leaving them surrounded with hearts that not only slows them down, but also obscures their views, hence the latter's Heart Attack mode, all while a Euro remix of Magical Sound Shower plays during it.

I do agree with osby osby that we should go with non-transformation based gameplay (it'll fit much better for this and other certain characters such as OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos 's already submitted Hornet), but if we're going otherwise, I can at least suggest some vehicle mode ideas like a sporty Arno XI speedboat (yes, Ferrari did actually help on building that; would be modified with two seats) and a Evektor SportStar jet plane (well, at least it would look like that) for water and air sections respectively.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh ho-ho! Let's go!

As tempted as I am to get my boy Alex Kidd in straight off the bat(as he does get to ride all manner of vehicles in Miracle World ), I'd be lying if I said he was the first Sega character that came to mind when I think 'vehicle'. That honour goes to...

Job #1: B.D. Joe

B.D.Joe-transparent.png

Yes, it's everyone's favourite up beat taxi driver who will do anything to put a smile on your face, B.D. Joe.

B.D. Joe will of course ride in his taxi. However, as an additional bonus, I think it'd be neat if he depending on the track he was racing on, a NPC sat in the back as his passenger. This man is a taxi driver after all, let's give him some crazy passengers!

For example using the currently submitted characters:
Sonic track: Jet the Hawk (has an interest in racing)
Space Channel 5 track: Jaguar
Yakuza track: Pocket Circuit Fighter (has an interest in racing)
Outrun track: Flagman (who coincedentally has appeared as a racer all of his own in the exclusive Japanese 3DS Power Drift special game)
Daytona USA: The Horse from Sega Saturns Daytona USA. Yes. The secret horse unlockable.
Crazy Taxi: Gena (is apparently the most thrillseekery of the other Crazy Taxi drivers...which is one of the reasons she refuses to become a professional driver...however in the wacky world of Sonic & Sega All-Stars, the tracks are anything but mundane).

Obviously these would be subject to who gets in, so if for example; Jet the Hawk was brought in as a racer, we'd swap him out for someone else.

Job #2: 45
Adding all the characters in both Sonic and Sega All-Stars games together including the console exclusives gives us over 40 characters. Transformed has 31 on PC, so I think we can get to 45, allowing us to add popular veterans and some new surprises.

Job #3: Original Sonic & Sega All-Stars
Whilst Transformed allowed for some really wild courses and I even liked the water sections, I personally absolutely hated the flying sections.

Whilst Mario Kart's Gliding sections are short and sweet and it being obvious where you need to go, due to the dynamic nature of the Sonic & Sega All-Stars courses, half the time it wasn't 100% clear where you were meant to go as animations clearing the route would only play as you neared them. Sure there's arrows, but it's still not as visually clear as it could be.

On top of that, due to the sudden addition of a Y axis to control when you go through a transformation gate, the controls flip on a dime and I just find it needlessly unwieldy.

That said, motorbikes(Alex Kidd, Big, Shadow, Ryo), None (Opa-Opa himself) and hovering vehicles (Tails and Ulala) feel absolutely fine and allow for far more creativity in the rides the cast have. You can still have flying vehicles that act like cars that way.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #1: Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone
673px-ASR_Opa-Opa.png

If there was ever a character in all of fiction to define the word "based", it's Opa-Opa.

This funky little fella is the protagonist of SEGA's Fantasy Zone series of classic arcade cute-em-ups. He's a sentient spaceship who oftentimes finds himself going on wacky (and traumatic!) intergalactic adventures to save the day. The original Fantasy Zone was a hit in arcades back in the day, and has since gone down in history as one of their many, many classic arcade titles, having gotten all kinds of sequels and rereleases.

Most important to note here, however, is that Opa-Opa himself is actually a ridiculously prolific character. He was SEGA's first official mascot, and boy oh boy do they sure treat him that way. He's had cameos in an absolute ****load of things - both inside and outside of SEGA -, his theme song "Opa-Opa!" is up there in terms of classic SEGA tracks that often appear in other games and music albums, and he's generally still frequently used as a sort of "ambassador" for retro SEGA in general SEGA media. He's probably the closest thing SEGA have to a non-Sonic mascot.

And in fact, all that did indeed pay off in the All-Stars games - Opa-Opa got to appear as a playable racer in the first ASR game. However, Transformed later made the cardinal sin of cutting him, which was absolutely disgusting and one of the greatest crimes against humanity committed in any video game ever. So let's bring him back!

Just like in ASR1, his vehicle will be.......himself. He has no proper vehicle, he just flies around the track, he's a sentient spaceship goddammit-

Job #3

I loved the transforming sections......but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them go.

They were really cool for what they were and Transformed made good use of them. The problem is, though, the game kinda had to do a lot to accomodate them, and in the process, I feel that it ended up kinda stifling the potential of other parts of the game. There's a lot I miss about ASR1 that can be reasonably traced to the addition of transformations, so although they were ****ing great, I think it'd be more beneficial to yeet them if it means we get to have more variety in vehicles, character choices, etc.

I also kinda just generally like how ASR1 feels to play a lot more. IMO, a good blend of qualities would be ASR1's gameplay feel, good track design (I say "good track design" cause some tracks in ASR1 were total bull**** so I'm specifying we take cues from the tracks with good design in that game) and roster/vehicle/All-Star Move variety with Transformed's track variety, remixed music and harder lean on SEGA fanservice.

Last edited:
Job 1:
Space Harrier (Space Harrier)

"Ah yes, the Chad of SEGA Arcade Games"

Space Harrier is main Protagonist of Space Harrier series and he is Blonde Dude, who travels through Planets and Kills Dragons, Moai, Robots and Weird aliens that threaten the Space Harrier Universe.
He is Iconic SEGA character, who debuted on Arcade Machines and grandfather of all Rail-shooters and he was made by Yu Suzuki in 1985.

If he was in Sega Allstars Racing, he could ride on Purple Spaceship resembling Hoverboard from Space Harrier II, but it's a completely Spacecraft that has some design similarities to Mukadensu Plane Enemies.
His Allstar Move could be, where Harrier calls Uriah and Harrier starts to bump on other Players and he gets speed Boost that allows him, to travel faster. The song that Plays during allstar Move is Bonus Stage song from OG Space Harrier.

Job 2:
The Number of Racers could be 35.
There are some Veterans from previous games like OG Sega Allstars racing and Transformed.

Job 3:
Let's have new mechanic introduced to SEGA Racing games like Zero-Gravity tracks from MK8 and Deluxe Version. There are gonna be some stuff taken from Transformed like Boat Forms and Plane Forms.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Well, with a ton of submissions (thank you all, by the way!!) here's a list of who's available from Job #1:

CheeseAnton CheeseAnton with Miles "Tails" Prower (Sonic the Hedgehog)
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos with Hornet (Daytona USA)
@Darkonedagger with Kazuma Kiryu (Yazuka)
osby osby with Ulala (Space Channel 5)
tonygameman tonygameman with Alberto and Clarissa (OutRun)
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad with B.D. Joe (Crazy Taxi)
Speed Weed Speed Weed with Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds with Space Harrier (Space Harrier)

Please vote for your top three picks in order (I'm going to do the weighted vote thing that other creation threads do.) You can vote for your own suggestion in second or third, but not first. Feel free to explain if you like, but don't feel you have to! Given the number of submissions, I'm not going to put anyone in, to prevent any personal bias. (As much as it might be difficult, hehee)

In terms of Job #2, I'll make a mean average of the results we got. These are as follows: 48, 40, 45, 45, 35. As such, the average is 42.6. Given this is closest to 45 (and 45 was submitted twice,) the roster will consist of 45 characters in total. Now, we can talk about DLC later on, but for now, I'm going to toss a ballpark figure out and say that 45 is a good number for base roster.

For Job #3, I'll make a poll on the top of the page, that we'll look at when voting ends for this section. Feel free to vote for your pick! (I probably should have done that to begin with, but I'm a bit of an idiot. However, the explainations and ideas given were really great, and it'll be cool to implement them!)

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Alberto & Clariss (I love the idea of duo racers and this two feel like a natural pick)
  2. B.D. Joe (same with above, minus the duo part. Plus, he's my favorite cabbie in his game)
  3. Ulala (shameless self-vote and I kinda want to get the obvious racers in quickly)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Opa-Opa
2. Alberto and Clarissa
3. Hornet

Honorable mentions to Kiryu (who I think is a must-have but just didn't have enough room for him now with all the great submissions), Tails (also a must-have, but we should probably wait before adding secondary characters), and Space Harrier (he's got a funny design and would fit in perfectly).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Opa-Opa: Original Sega mascot, unique racing style(in it being him on his own).
2. Alberto and Clarissa: Due to Sumo's relationship with this particular franchise, I really like this rare addition.
3. Tails: I'm legally obliged to vote for Tails whenever he's an option, even if I think we should focus on as many Sega series as possible. Though Tails does have an insane amount of vehicles under his belt and I feel we have loads and loads of solid options for him.

Shout out to everyone for this first job; they're all good picks and there's not a bad one in the bunch.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Goodness - you've all given wonderful responses! Thank you so, so much for your time and effort, truly - this wouldn't work without you all. With that in mind, I've decided the top three should get in - we're still early in the roster's life, after all! Now, if I have made any errors, feel free to inform me - I'm only human, so I probably screwed up somewhere along the way. With that in mind, our three newcomers are:

Alberto and Clarissa (10 Points)
Opa-Opa (11 Points)
B.D. Joe (12 Points)

I'd also like to echo the sentiments of YoshiandToad YoshiandToad here, in that these were all amazing picks, and I can actually see them getting into the roster at a later stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sorted Job #2 earlier, but Job #3 leaves us with a landslide toward a more traditional kart racer. As such, that's the basic premise - now, I think it's safe to say that vehicles that can fly/hover, such as Tails's Tornado and Ulala's Astro Glider, can still be in the game, but as in the first title, they are for all intents and purposes, cars. Likewise, motorcycles are allowed too, but the free-flying/open water gameplay is being removed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With these characters in mind, let's do something exciting:

Job #4: Submit a Track from an already represented series.
These series as of now include:

Sonic the Hedgehog
OutRun
Fantasy Zone
Crazy Taxi

My plan for this is that where possible, the majority of racers will each get their own track, or at least a track in their IP. As such, if there's only one submission for one of them, then that just gets in automatically. Now, you can submit one for all four series, but you can only submit one in each. Don't feel you have to though - if you only have one in mind, then feel free to submit it!

Try and really describe what sort of layout the track has, and provide pictures if you can! Even so, don't feel forced to go too far in-depth - we can always work it out at a later stage.

Job #5: Submit three "Cassettes" (Music Track) to go with the Track!
What would a kart racer be without music! For each track that you submit, it would be wonderful if you could also submit up to three music tracks that could be played on that track (with links if possible!) You can use remixes if you like, or the originals. Also, you can submit only up to three music tracks, but if you only have one or two in mind, then don't feel forced to!

Job #6: Not really a Job, but what could work well as bonus content?
What sort of things could work well as bonus content? Picture this as unlockables you'd get through the course of playing the game - would they be similar to the driving licenses of the previous games, or something altogether new? Feel free to go wild with these ideas!

I think this is a pretty good place to jump off from. Feel free to get your creative juices flowing - keep safe, have fun, and see you on the flipside!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Track: The Highway (OutRun)

A pretty self-explanatory track, this three-part course (rather than a three-lap course) will take place on what is essentially a version of the OutRun mode of OutRun Online Arcade. That mode took the player through 5 out of 15 parts of a highway that vary in scenery but are mostly quite simple in track design. This track for ASR will only take you through 3 parts of a highway, selected at random out of 15 that are all functionally the same but visually distinct. All of these tracks, in order, are as follows:
Sunny Beach
Bay Area
National Park
Water Falls
Big Forest
Canyon
Lost City
Casino Town
Ice Shape
Jungle
Giant Statues
Legend
Floral Village
Milky Way
Skyscrapers

If you want to know what these individual sections look like, here's this OOA longplay (which is weirdly relaxing):
Now, don't be surprised to run into traffic on The Highway, of course-and if you feel like a daredevil, you can try to skim near said traffic (which won't give you anything, but does make heart icons appear on the right side of your car for a bit so that's cool). Be careful, as the other cars act as obstacles and can be bonked into (though only big supply trucks will cause you to spin out if you hit them). There aren't a ton of boost pads in this level, so you'll need to drift a lot-and do so carefully.

Cassettes for The Highway include:
Splash Wave
Life Was A Bore
Passing Breeze

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #4: Stardust Speedway (Sonic CD)
B46B67F5-C894-4C15-BDBF-919D4236E43A.png

Stardust Speedway is one of Sonic CD’s most iconic levels and the location of Metal Sonic’s boss fight. The stage would later come back in Sonic Generations for Metal’s boss fight and in Sonic Mania as a full-fledged zone. Main reason I went with this over any of the more obvious choices for a Sonic track was because I wanted to pitch something that would stand out aesthetically and offer something unique.

The main gimmick of this stage is that each lap takes place in a different time period. You’ll start the race in the past in an an ancient Greek inspired city, with vegetation growing around the buildings and fireflies illuminating the night sky. There’s also a robot teleporter hidden away in the track, and whether the player runs over it will determine what future they end the race in. In lap 2, you’re taken to the present, which more closely resembles a vibrant and colorful modern-day city. On the third and final lap, you’re taken to one of two futures depending on if the teleporter was destroyed or not. If destroyed, the lap will take place in the good future, which is a colorful amusement park. If not, then the final lap takes place in the bad future, which is a polluted and run-down city ravaged by thunderstorms.

Cassettes for Stardust Speedway:
Vs. Metal Sonic
Sonic Boom (Crush 40 version)
Metallic Madness

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #4:

West Coast (Crazy Taxi)

1638176725006.png

The layout of this track is mostly inspired by the very first Crazy Taxi game's setting, mainly the seaside. The racers will need to go down a steep hill when starting and then take a sharp turn before taking a scenic beach road. After climbing back up and going through a large road peppered with other vehicles, racers will experience one last big drop before a ramp forces them to make a gravity-defying jump to reach the finish line. Each lap encourages a different route but there are a large variety of paths to take, encouraging players to experiment with different combinations.

Job #5: Cassette for West Coast

All I Want by Offspring
Ten in 2010 by Bad Religion
Raw Power Angel by Silverbullit

Job #6: Alternate costumes

This may have been brought up but why not add some costumes for our racers? If people are against characters being too similar to each other, maybe we can even delegate MeeMee or Reala to this role, on top of original and reference costumes.

Job 4:
Green Hill Zone Road (Sonic the Hedgehog)

The layout of Track has shape of Sonic's Head. The tracks is medium big.
From Start, you go straight like in Sonic Generations Green Hill, but you turn Right for drifting part and you go on Shuttle Loop and there is a ramp that launches you in air over Green Hill zone lake.
After that, you land on Desert Area from Sonic Forces and you go through Dunes like in Dry Bones Dunes and you go on some gimmicky shortcuts made of sand. If you go straight on Sandy shortcut road, you'll fall from Track. Even some paths are sandyl which it makes very difficult to drive, but you see road going to Mountain Area.
In Mountain Area, you ride on Zig Zag road and there are Checkerboard Boulder, who serve as Hazard.
After travelling through Mountain Area, you go Super Sonic fast down to part, where the race ends with Finish Line made of Totem poles.
This Tracks loops 3 times and the Track is inspired by California and Green Hill zone (Sonic Generations, Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania). There are some Tribunes for spectators similar to Mario Circuits from Mario Kart series. Also there are some secret Easter Eggs Referencing Neo Green Hill from Sonic Advance.
And depending on Laps, the Green Hill Zone becomes more sandy like in Sonic Forces due to Eggman's pollution)

Job 5:
The Cassettes for Green Hill Zone Road:

Green Hill Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Can you feel the Sunshine (Sonic R)
Green Hill (Sonic Forces)

Job 6:
Character Bio

It could Bio about SEGA racers, where it tells the lore of their series. It's similar to Mario kart SGP Racer Bio or even SSB 64 Fighter Bio.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Job 6: Cosmetics
I think having kart customization would be awesome-it was one of the things that TSR did VERY right. I've spent hours just making cool cars, it's really well done! Most of the changes to the actual design of the vehicle would be minimal so that the cars can be as unique as they were in ASR1, but you can go wild with the colors and painting materials (like if you want to have the car have a metallic look or a plastic look). Not only that, but you could also get different colors for drifting sparks and boost trails! Oh yeah, and you can't customize Opa-Opa's car, for the obvious reason that he's already perfect.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #6: Race Crew

Flagmen.png

So we've had both NiGHTS and Ristar take up the mantle of flagman in the past, and I think their cameos are pretty neat. I'd prefer them both as racers naturally, but I don't think such a role would be a bad thing for more minor characters for someone like...Claris or Elliot for NiGHTS or...I dunno... Riho for Ristar for example.

Think of these as Smash Bros Melee-Smash 4 style trophies, only they waggle a flag at the beginning and end of a race. Naturally there'd be a little library with short descriptions on each character. Players can set their flagmen to appear in each course if they so wish, with no character being locked to any particular race track.

If you wish to have The Magician from House of the Dead appear as the Flag Man on a race track based on Billy Hatcher, you're more than welcome to.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job #6: 8-Bit Classics

Classic Game Gear, Master System, and SG1000 games would be included, possibly MD and even GBA stuff too. Not much more to say here other than that they wouldn't be trials and preferably wouldn't be unlockable.

Job #4: Angel Island Zone

May as well get the Sonic "grassy field" out of the way first. The first lap would be the lively jungle in a regular day, the second lap would have a wildfire engulfing the area at evening, and the third lap would have the monsoon extinguish the fire and cause a flood in the nighttime. This would still be a looping course, but the weather would change with 1st place's progression to each lap.

Job #5:

Angel Island Zone Medley
Green Grove Zone
Door into Summer

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #4

It is now time for me to submit an Epic Race Track yes yes

So I wanted to submit an OutRun track, but having a track submitted that's basically the entirety of 2 SP didn't exactly make things easy. So I had to dig a lil' deeper into the series history, and I've come up with something:

OutRun Track: World Tour
959855-gb.png

That's right, I am suggesting we base our new OutRun track off of goddamn OutRunners.

OutRunners is a pretty cool game, and it has a very distinct feel from the rest of the series, and I think it'd be the OutRun game that would offer the most visually fun "stages" of sorts to base our track off of, so I think it'd actually be pretty cool to base a track off of it.

This track is gonna work like the likes of Mount Wario, in that it's moreso 3 sections rather than 3 laps. We'll also be following the traditional route-based gameplay of OutRun, but cutting it down to 3 sections instead of 5 to fit the 3-lap mold. I'd also pull plenty of small touches from the original game, such as commentary by the game's very own fictional radio announcer Jake Elwood (in a similar fashion to how, in Transformed, Prof. K narrated the JSR track and Chris Parton narrated the Burning Rangers track), the "WOO-WEE" voiceclip whenever you reach a new lap, and so on.

Now let's look at each of the different sections!
Lap 1: Pre-Stage/San Francisco
20211129_215238.jpg

20211129_215253.jpg

(This first lap is a twofer: you'll start off at the big crowded beach that kicks off every OutRunners playthrough before quickly transitioning to the streets of San Francisco)
Lap 2 (Left Route): Pacific Ocean Crossway Bridge/Easter Island
20211129_215308.jpg

20211129_215505.jpg

Lap 2 (Right Route): Hawaii
20211129_215600.jpg

Lap 3 (Left-Left Route): Hong Kong
20211129_215530.jpg

Lap 3 (Left-Right Route): Egypt
20211129_215544.jpg

Lap 3 (Right-Right Route): France
20211129_215654.jpg
So as you can see, quite the collection of places you'll visit. I mostly took it straight from the first 3 stages of the west route in the game, but I replaced a couple of the Lap 3 locations for the sake of a bit more regional variety. The main hazard is, of course, other cars that you'll have to make sure not to crash into.

And this concludes my track concept! I shall now post the music:

Intro Track (as in, the song that plays during the track preview): Mega Driver

Cassettes:
-Magical Sound Shower (1993)
-Splash Wave (1993)
-Passing Breeze (1993)

Shoutouts to the Fantasy Zone track I was planning on submitting but had to scrap cause I was just feeling really tired and burnt out

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Well, we got some great ideas today! I'd like to once again thank you all for your submissions, they've been amazing :D

Now, given that we got doubled up in some, we're gonna have a vote between them. For Crazy Taxi, the West Coast stage by osby osby is automatically getting in due to being the only one there, so the votes are as follows:

Sonic:
Stardust Speedway, by OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
Green Hill Zone Road, by Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Angel Island Zone, by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario

OutRun:
The Highway, by Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
OutRunners: World Tour, by Speed Weed Speed Weed

As usual, you can't vote for your own in first, but they're seperate polls. Just as a point, the Cassettes added in each person's submission will be the "base" music you get when you unlock the track, but it's possible to get more music over time in a variety of ways.

Shoutouts on Job #6, because to be honest, I think they could all be fitted into here somehow. The idea of alternate costumes submitted by osby osby here, by the way, could still work with the cosmetics idea submitted by Janx_uwu Janx_uwu here. Also, I like the idea of various bios, as well as the suggestion of 8-bit games (though it might be a cool idea to include a couple of 16-bit titles too? We'll probably get to that later.) That leads us to today's jobs:

Job #7: Submit an Item that will be in the game.

Items, unlike the previous games in the series, are intended to be references to actual SEGA games where possible. In this case, don't feel like it has to function exactly like it did in the source material, but having the source material as a basis would be cool. Feel free to get experimental! Also, you can use any SEGA series for this one.

Job #8: Submit an 8-Bit Classic from an already represented series.
Leaping off from the cool bonus idea suggested by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , this would have a series already represented have an 8 or 16 bit game for them. Notably, this means that the games can only originate from either the SG-1000, Game Gear, or Master System. (You can submit up to four individual 8-Bit Classics, one for each series.)

On this, do you think it should be limited to 8-bit games, or should we include things from the Genesis or third-party consoles like the GBA? I ask because the Saturn is unlikely to be able to work here, given the size of the ROMs, but they could - though, they'd need a name change from "8-Bit Classics."

However! You can submit classic arcade games if you like, even if they're not strictly 8-bit - but they can't be too advanced, so no submissions of something like Chunithm or the likes. As of right now, they need to be in an already represented series, but we'll include others later.

Job #9: Submit a Battle Stage from an already represented series.
With the previous games in the series basing their battle stages on tracks already in the game, it would be a nice change of pace to get inventive, in a similar way to how Mario Kart does it. Feel free to get creative - what sort of gimmicks would be present?

Anyways, I hope you all have fun with this one! Be sure to keep safe, and don't overwork yourselves. See you on the boards!

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
8-Bit Classic: Sonic 2 (Master System)

Explicitly MS and not GG, at long last the better version of the worse version is avaliable! (JK, I love this game just as much as the 16 bit version.)

For the 8-Bit Classics I kinda narrowed out MD stuff because of worries relating to the same game being avaliable in multiple forms at the same time (and brought GBA along with it by specs association) - which is kinda stupid in hindsight, heh. If anything it's good that there'd be so many options to experience a single game in this ficticious universe.

1. Stardust
2. Angel Island

1. World Tour

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Item: Sega Channel

Functions similarly to Boo in Mario Kart with a bit of Lightning thrown in - specifically it sends an electric internet shock to a random racer, which doesn't put them in spin out but does send them a tiny bit backwards, and steals their item to give to you. Love meta-hardware/branding stuff in crossovers.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I'm going to submit Alex Kidd in Miracle World for 8 Bit, it's a good game so it should be included
Hey, I'm really sorry to have to say this, but we can't yet have this one... as much as I agree that it's a great game (it is!), Alex Kidd hasn't yet been represented in the game yet. I'm really sorry for not making it clearer earlier

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Hey, I'm really sorry to have to say this, but we can't yet have this one... as much as I agree that it's a great game (it is!), Alex Kidd hasn't yet been represented in the game yet. I'm really sorry for not making it clearer earlier
Sonic Triple Trouble Then, often considered the best of the Game Gear/Master System original 8 Bit Sonic games, it's a good game

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
For the Sonic stage, voting for 1. Angel Island and 2. Stardust Speedway.
For the Outrun stage, I’ll vote for World Tour (I liked the songs I submitted but man, the ‘93 versions are dope).
Lastly, for the 8-bit things I guess I’ll submit Tails’ Adventure-I can’t think of any OutRun, Crazy Taxi or PZ 8-bit games at the moment, but then again, my non-Sonic Sega knowledge is pretty limited.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
However! You can submit classic arcade games if you like, even if they're not strictly 8-bit - but they can't be too advanced, so no submissions of something like Chunithm or the likes. As of right now, they need to be in an already represented series, but we'll include others later.
Well, this may be our first arcade/16-bit (style is close enough) game submission if I understand on those being eligible, the original OutRun itself, so people can experience why it's so goddamn awesome and how it impacted the racing genre in whole (yes, there were normal non-deluxe cabinets with a steering wheel, so that's it for a non-"too advanced" part).

Also, Ferrari's trademark silver "prancing horse" emblem on a back of the Testarossa is restored, which was excluded in re-releases (make a comparison), assuming that Ferrari may license their stuff for OutRun-based material in this hypothetical project, too.

Sonic Track:
1. Stardust Speedway
2. Angel Island Zone

OutRun Track: World Tour

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom