• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social A New Challenger Enters! Kazuya Mishima Social Thread!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Kazuya's presentation is on the 28th.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Slept on pick.

I expected more in terms of his moveset, but at least Kazuya has a badass design. Loved the trailer.

He never needed our support..

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Congrats, TEKKEN is an awesome series and it's great to see it finally get representation!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Glad to see Kazuya making it in! Tekken seemed like a long overdue addition for Smash Bros., and while I'm not super familiar with Kazuya (of the four Tekken games that I've played, he's the second-to-last unlockable character in one, and the other three have so many characters that I haven't gotten around to playing as him much), it's great to see him in Smash Bros.

I'm pleased to see that they've added so many villains to this game (I think Kazuya counts as a villain? From what I've seen, a case could be made for him or Heihachi), since that was my biggest complaint about the roster in previous Smash games. In this one alone, we got Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, technically Piranha Plant, Wolf returning, Sephiroth, and now Kazuya, which is a significant boost from when it was just Bowser, Bowser Junior, and Ganondorf. (and Dedede, if you stretch it)

Also, in case anyone missed it, this was posted on Harada's Twitter:

Also, Kazuya's page is up on the Smash websites (no alternate palettes yet; just the two costumes), and this screenshot is great.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Another reason I think Kazuya was chosen is out of respect towards Heihachi's voice actor. That and Kazuya being the protagonist of the first Tekken game is why he got picked over Heihachi and Jin but mostly the latter.
I always thought Heihachi was Sakurai's Tekken character of Choice, this certainly makes more sense of the situation. I was quite confused as someone unfamiliar with Tekken outside of Heihachi popping up in Smash speculation.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I let out a loud evil laugh like I never did before, feels good to actually get one of my most wanted.

Yoshimitsu better be a Mii Swordfighter costume (but please better be the iconic Tekken 3 skullman design).
I want a King costume, my second favorite character in Tekken.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If I can piece together how Kazuya will fight. Of course, he's from a fighting game, so always face his opponent during 1V1 fights.

He has the Devil Gene and the Rage bar(heard that noice cue), so enhancements?

Haven't seen the Final Smash yet, but it has to do with the Devil transformation.

For Mii Costumes, Lloyd will be returning for one. IDK about the others coming soon.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
This dude gunna be NUUUUTS. I can't stop rewatching the trailer because I keep picking up little details I keep missing.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, grats to getting your most wanted. He was definitely not on most people's radars when it came to Smash

zferolie

Smash Hero
COngrats! He wasn't in my top pics but Tekken makes sense and i'm sure he will be fun and unique

Also, thats 2 fighters in a row with very few pages for their support page getting into smash. Shows Sakurai plays to his own horn

EDIT:

Wow, Sephiroth only had 9 pages before being announced, but Kazuya’s a 1-Pager! It’s always cool to see people who wanted these characters way before their announcements. Props to Kazuya and I’m hoping for a Mokujin costume!
My Pyra and Mythra thread had 2 pages. SO thats 3 characters in a row that had under 10 pages before their reveal

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This makes me wondering: do you guys think Sakurai will replicate Tekken Advance's control scheme for his moveset? Tekken is usually a 4-button fighter, but Tekken Advance is a GameBoy Advance game, which makes it a 2-button fighter. Whether or not Kazuya will be a Ryu with Min Min controls is still up in the air, but that at least gives Sakurai some precedent for how to make him feel like an actual Tekken character.

Shovel Knight

Smash Rookie
Congrats, all! I'm very excited Namco finally got a 2nd rep and what a better choice than Tekken? Looking forward to all Kazuya has to offer, and how much content Sakurai has in store for Tekken. Hopefully copious amounts of music, because this series is full of hits.

Nap1400

Smash Rookie
I decided to let out my inner Tekken nerd and write down all the inputs for the attacks Sakurai showed off in that brief demonstration. Knowing how he does things, I imagine it's a good indicator of how he'll map the moves to a Smash style.
tsunami kick - df 4,4; wr 4,4
searing edge - uf 3
flash punch combo - 1,1,2
steel pedal drop - left side throw
flash tornado - b 4
nejiri uraken - d 1+2
crouch spin kick - d 3
twin pistons - wr 1, 2
sternum smash - no input, just a move added as a grab pummel
jumping sobat - no direct reference, it might be a reference to every character's uf * 3 but i dunno
spinning demon to left hook - cd 3,1
dragon uppercut - cd 1
tombstone crusher - fc df 3+4
gates of hell - fc df,d,df 1+2
wind god fist - cd 2
crouch jab - d 1
roundhouse to triple spin kicks - uf 4 4 4 4
rising toe kick - uf * 4
stature smash - db 4
crouch dash (cd) - f * d,df
left splits kick - not in tekken 7, but right splits kick is f 4
stonehead - f,(f) 1+2
demon god fist - wr 2
oni front kick - f 3
double face kick - 1+3
demon scissors - [4 3]
jump side kick - uf * 3
demon's wrath - b 3,1,4,1
leaping side kick - f,f,f 3
jumping knuckle - uf 1
air inferno - uf 1+2 in devil transformation
10 hit combo - smash is referencing ten hit combo 1 which is f,f * 2,1,2,2,3,4,4,3,2,1

My guess is that based on the amount of moves here, Kazuya is going to have tilt attacks for all 8 directions, not just the usual side down and up. Probably gonna have the most extensive movelist of the cast which, let's face it, is probably the most Tekken aspect out of all of this.

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman

Thread theme

GolisoPower

Smash Master
A few ideas here:

• Do you think they hired Josh Keller to replace Xander Mobus as the announcer if you select Mishima Dojo? Just saying, I could imagine him saying "Terry Bogard Wins" or "Simon Belmont Wins" in results screens.
  • Do you think Kazuya has Min Min-style controls to fit all those attacks he's got?
  • Will Mishima Dojo have progressive fire spreading as you fight, like with the Heihachi vs. Akuma fight?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This was so, so, so cool! As a Heihachi supporter, I thought Tekken was down for the count after we got that costume with Arms, and it was heartbreaking because I wanted to see one of the biggest fighting games ever get into THE biggest fighting game ever. Now we finally have that! Tekken in Smash, so awesome! Congratulations! I'm so happy the Mishima Dojo is his stage, too!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A few ideas here:

• Do you think they hired Josh Keller to replace Xander Mobus as the announcer if you select Mishima Dojo? Just saying, I could imagine him saying "Terry Bogard Wins" or "Simon Belmont Wins" in results screens.
  • Do you think Kazuya has Min Min-style controls to fit all those attacks he's got?
  • Will Mishima Dojo have progressive fire spreading as you fight, like with the Heihachi vs. Akuma fight?
For the first point, couldn't they just have taken clips directly from Tekken 7?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Very happy to see Tekken finally get a playable fighter in Smash. Kazuya is a very good pick. Congratulations to the fans.

Now Namco got both Pac-Man and Tekken, the next Namco series that should get a playable fighter IMO is Tales. I’m rooting for Lloyd (and Ms. Pac-Man as semi-clone or Echo of Pac-Man).

Also, the fighting game genre got Street Fighter, King of Fighters (actually Fatal Fury), and Tekken... the next fighting game series that should get a playable fighter IMO is Mortal Kombat. I’m rooting for Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

I wonder which Tekken characters will be Mii costumes.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
For the first point, couldn't they just have taken clips directly from Tekken 7?

Well, right, but I don't think there are any lines for the characters in Smash. The only thing I think they could recycle is when he calls Kazuya and the win declaration, tbh.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, a few things:
  • What would Kazuya's Classic Mode be like?
  • What Spirits would be on a Tekken Spirit Board?
  • What would make a good list of songs?
  • Out of all the symbols they could've gone with...they chose Kazuya's fist for Tekken. What is it with these new franchises getting lame symbols when the no-brainers are right there?

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
My guesses/hopes for the music tracks

Night in Chicago - Arcade (Tekken)
Fiji -Arranged (Tekken)
Marine Stadium - Arranged (Tekken)
Kazuya/Devil - Arcade (Tekken 2)
Emotionless Passion (Tekken 2)
Heihachi - Arcade (Tekken 2)
Jin Kazama - Arranged (Tekken 3)
Character Select - Arcade (Tekken 3)
Yoshimitsu - Arranged (Tekken 3)
Ogre (Tekken Tag)
School (Tekken Tag)
Xiaoyu (Tekken Tag)
Authentic Sky (Tekken 4)
Kitsch (Tekken 4)
King of Iron Fist Arena (Tekken 4)
Moonlit Wilderness (Tekken 5)
The Finalizer (Tekken 5)
Estrada da Estrela (Tekken 5 DR)
Electric Fountain (Tekken 6)
Fallen Colony (Tekken 6)
Lightning Storm (Tekken 6)
Piano Intro (Tekken Tag 2)
Tool Pusher (Tekken Tag 2)
Plucking Tulips (Tekken Tag 2)
Heat Haze (Tekken 7)
Infinite Azure (Tekken 7)
Twilight Conflict (Tekken 7)

27 tracks so still nowhere near as many as Terry but I doubt the selection will be as balanced as mine.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be honest, even in hindsight this one doesn't make sense to me but I'm still hyped because I love Tekken. Even if someone told me Kazuya would be in, I wouldn't believe them. The Heihachi mii costume seemed like damning evidence for why there wouldn't be Tekken because 1. Heihachi is the most popular character and 2. Why have a Tekken mii costume outside of a Tekken character. Goes to show it's incredibly hard to predict.

Last edited:
Top Bottom