• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Humble Comparison

Corigames

Smash Hero
>Talking to friend
>Watching his MW3 videos
>Ask my friend if he's seen a video of me playing Smash

Have you seen this one?

Him
prolly not

Me
It's my most recent and, imo, best showcase of my ability though I do lose it.

Him
u ahole... u really havent changed much
damn shoulder charge.... edge guard....
and again

Me
I haven't changed much? Pfffft. I'm so much faster now, moving from platform to platform. I play more safely, recover much longer, etc.
At least, that's how I see it XD

Him
seee... the edge guarding crap
it pisses me off

Me
Well, I don't want him to come back.
I like winning.

Him
no.
everyone does it
its ****in gay

Me
How? : P
If I let him get back to the edge, he lives. If he lives, then I'm not closer to victory. I like being victorious.

Him
its like quickscoping.... its like a broken piece of the coding that i feel is taken advantage of.
in that realm of gaming there shouldnt be edges rofl
damnit

Me
I'm now posting this bit of conversation to the smash boards. I've never heard anyone compare edgeguarding to quickscoping lolololol

Him
thats my point
welll.... what
im just saying
its BS

---
Thoughts?

Gea

Smash Master
What is there to say, really? He doesn't understand there is much more to it than just swatting someone away. It's the whole idea of pride and honor. His rules of engagement and yours (or ours, really) are simply different.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Its nothing like quick scoping though. The comparison doesn't really make sense. What would be more like quick scoping is if Ness's yoyo glitch was hella easy to set up, and then Ness is a good enough character to 0-death consistently from it. THAT would be like quick scoping. Edgeguarding is more like when you shoot your opponent when they are in their "Last Stand" perk animation.

Ask him if he also prefers to just let his opponent revive themself in Last Stand or kill him while they are using the last stand perk. Report back with lolz.

NNID
dansalvato
Sounds like he can't stand losing so he started playing Call of Duty to complain with everybody else (Call of Johns). Guarding the edge has been a key component of Smash since day 1, so letting your opponent back on the stage is like letting your opponent reload in Call of Duty.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Scrub mentality on both accounts. At least quick scoping is kind of janky due to magnetism, but Melee literally implemented edge guarding as key component of the game. Tell him to watch the damn tutorial when the game loads up.

INTERCEPT!

(this is not in the Barlw tutorial for obvious reasons)

I wouldn't compare recovering to Last Stand though. He will just say recovering should be removed, just like Last Stand should be removed... Land Stand takes no skill outside of sacrificing your third tier perk unlike recovering which is a huge portion of the game that requires a lot of skill to execute properly both for the person recovering and the person edge guarding.

Zodiac

Smash Master
he just another guy who gave up playing smash when something happened he didnt like, if he got quickscoped as much as he got edge guarded he would probably give up cod too.

Beat!

Smash Master
He's a scrub, there's not much else to say. Hopefully he'll break out of that ******** mindset eventually.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Weird, even when I was first introduced to this game and someone told me about edgehogging (which is what I assume your friend means by "edgeguarding"), I thought it was just part of the game.
I have met people who thought it was unfair or kind of lame, but eh. I'll never understand them since I was never one of them.

jbro

Smash Ace
The only thing I hated about edgehogging when I first started playing was when you roll off (L or R off the ledge) the game still counts you as being on the ledge for a second. So I would make it back just fine, and physically there would be no one there, but I wouldn't grab it. I raged quite a few times at that.
But now I understand that it's just part of the game.

Also Cowa Doody ****ing sucks.
Get new friends.

NNID
dansalvato
Weird, even when I was first introduced to this game and someone told me about edgehogging (which is what I assume your friend means by "edgeguarding"), I thought it was just part of the game.
I have met people who thought it was unfair or kind of lame, but eh. I'll never understand them since I was never one of them.
Edge hogging is grabbing the ledge in order to prevent your opponent from doing so. Edge guarding is knocking the opponent back off the stage while he attempts to recover.

The only thing I hated about edgehogging when I first started playing was when you roll off (L or R off the ledge) the game still counts you as being on the ledge for a second. So I would make it back just fine, and physically there would be no one there, but I wouldn't grab it. I raged quite a few times at that.
But now I understand that it's just part of the game.
Edge hogging, in my opinion, is slightly overpowered in Melee, though laughably nonexistent in Brawl. It'd be nice to see a happy median, which I believe is what the P:M team is doing.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think edge hogging would be considered a type of edge guard.

Lots of people start off scrubby. When I first picked up the game I refused to dash dance because I thought it was silly. It sounds like the TC's friend just hasn't gotten past being a scrub, for whatever reason.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Maybe he's just not a smash player
You usually don't reason with those people unless they're really interested in the game
Also, edgeguarding is SUPER gay
Against Falcon only :p

M!nt

Smash Champion
I don't think quickscoping is even cheap.
It still takes skill to execute.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging only adds to the metagame. It puts more pressure on the person being attacked to DI properly, perform varied recoveries, sweetwpot or land somewhere on stage, and control the center of the stage to avoid going off of it at all. Also, it's definitely not broken because it makes sense for the ledge to have room enough for only one character. And if everyone does it, then the advantage is given to all characters.

To scrubs, though, edgegaurding looks much simpler than it actually is.

D

Deleted member

your friend is a ***** and you should be ashamed for having a ***** of a friend

Shake

Smash Rookie
I used to complain about that stuff when I first started out. I think it was because I just didn't understand that it was part of the bigger picture- and I didn't see it all. Bones has a good point- ITS IN THE TUTORIAL!! The game even awards you for doing it if you play bonus matches for funzies XD

dkuo

Smash Lord
When a new player whines about edgeguarding...teach them how to edgeguard (if they're even willing to do it), play them without edgeguarding them and see if they can even edgeguard you at all. Typically this will end with the player either realizing that it's not as broken as they thought, or finding a million other things to ***** about (in which case don't even bother with teaching them smash lol).

I don't know **** about quickscoping/fps games in general so I'm not going to touch on that subject <.<

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
Edgeguarding is a legit tactic. anyone who doesn't do it because its cheap is a scrub.

quickscoping is not legit on console games like Carl On Duty because it takes advantage of autoaim. you swipe your cross hair across someone's head region and press shoot whenever you feel like it (the window for it is HUGE) and the bullet curves into their head. its not real skill at all.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
quickscoping is not legit on console games like Carl On Duty because it takes advantage of autoaim. you swipe your cross hair across someone's head region and press shoot whenever you feel like it (the window for it is HUGE) and the bullet curves into their head. its not real skill at all.
How does that make it different from anything else in COD?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It's less comparable to quick scoping, more comparable to letting someone get up from final stand(if final stand were to happen every other kill)

Well I see you can't properly defend yourself and I'd like to play you while your on the same playing field as me, sure I got you to that point and earned the opening to kill you but where's the fun in winning.

What's most important is the fact that online pub matches=casual no matter how seriously you take it while going to a tourney with something on the line and wanting to get better/win means letting your opponent live gets you nowhere. If anything they should learn better recovery, if they didn't then they simply wouldn't grow.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
whats wrong with TF2? It's damn fun and you can't argue that it's worse than COD.
TF2 is amazing and already nostalgic with a lot of skill acutally needed to win against good players. More than just faster mouse movements, actual knowledge and strategy...but the mannconomy ****ed it up. New weapon sets are cool but when each character has about 20 god damn slight differences it gets annoying. I liked cosing between rocket launcher, black box and direct hit. They were balanced and I honestly could not choose as I did better in different situations with all of them but these situations weren't always due to game modes, just how enemies reacted/how my team worked.

...but now I need to preorder 20 different games just to cover all fronts and even then I have to put up with stupid bull****. Still though, vanilla TF2 and even present day remain on my top ten list of all time.

Back on topic, edgeguarding ftw.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol at the discussion becoming whether edgeguarding is legit or not.

the question is whether edgeguarding can be compared to quickscoping or not.

from what it sounds like, it seems like quickscoping is like a no lag rest where the hitbox is bigger than jiggs. not bad. i'd use it.

Top Bottom