• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah that's what I was saying. The move is only available for that custom character you transferred. Yeah it sucks but it's a workaround

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yeah, but my fear is that you won't unlock the actual moves on WiiU, you'll just be able to use those moves for the character you transfered, and that's all. God this sucks so much.
That would suck, but hopefully they have realized it would and didn't make it work that way, or have a plan to patch it. Right now people are just speculating and I've seen other people proclaiming that as fact...

SN3AK

Smash Cadet
Smash Run FTW, Easily drops the most custom moves in my experience, also it has the added bonus of being pretty fun

Yeah But at least SMash run is fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
So, did anyone see a change in the broken piece of **** that is custom move collecting with the new patch? I don't have my 3DS on me, so I don't know. If no, then the design team or whoever was in charge of the custom move pick-ups is officially a ******.

syzslak

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen a new headgear in a long time (I know, common problem). I also haven't played StreetPass in a while. I checked StreetPass this morning and I had a couple of challengers. I took care of them and my reward: a new headgear! That may be a coincidence, but don't forget to do your StreetPass people!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, I have 370 custom specials now. I only have to finish with Donkey Kong, Zelda, Little Mac, Fox, Greninja, and Lucina.

However, it feels like even when I use them in Smash Run, in most cases, I hardly ever see any of their custom specials as my reward. Even in Trophy Rush, I seem to have no dice most of the time.

Of course, the equipment grinding has gotten me some new Mii headgear at times. Out of the 55 headgear that exists, I'm apparently down to just 4 more to get.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
I have every Custom Move, every Smash Run Power, every outfit, and nearly every trophy.

And yet..... I'm missing about 15 headgear items. Wat.

I haven't gotten a new one it what feels like a hundred or so Smash Runs. Classic mode at 8-9 difficulty with wrenches every time yields nothing as well, neither do any of the other modes.

I got them pretty steadily before while I was unlocking everything else, but not anymore. I get plenty of doubles though.

Don't know what else to do. I literally only have one challenge on the challenge board left to do and that's "get all the hats", but the game won't give me anymore hats...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's basically all sheer luck at this point. And no, using the Mii Fighters will NOT improve your odds of getting Mii headgear.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Since Tuesday, I've spent well over 15 hours trying to get this last headgear (Santa Hat), and it just won't come up. Do I have to complete every other challenge first? This is the absolute worst random drop system I have ever seen in a video game. I can almost understand there being repeats of custom specials since they're quite a bit more common, but why would Sakurai ever allow repeats of custom stuff (headgear and clothes) that are rare in the first place? That Golden Hammer is looking more and more tempting every day, but I'm going to persevere as much as possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Odds are, before I have all the Mii headgear, I'll only have one trophy left to collect; it's the one that you get for getting all the suits, headgear, and custom specials.

I have all the custom specials, so all I've been doing is just playing Smash mode to try to achieve the 50 collective hours requirement, while also checking up on the shop from time to time to see if any new trophies are available.

Atmuh

Smash Cadet
I think some trophies are only available in trophy rush. The last random trophy wasn't showing up in the shop but after a few trophy rushes I got it.

All I need is the panda hat.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Since Tuesday, I've spent well over 15 hours trying to get this last headgear (Santa Hat), and it just won't come up. Do I have to complete every other challenge first? This is the absolute worst random drop system I have ever seen in a video game. I can almost understand there being repeats of custom specials since they're quite a bit more common, but why would Sakurai ever allow repeats of custom stuff (headgear and clothes) that are rare in the first place? That Golden Hammer is looking more and more tempting every day, but I'm going to persevere as much as possible.
I think some trophies are only available in trophy rush. The last random trophy wasn't showing up in the shop but after a few trophy rushes I got it.

All I need is the panda hat.
I have both of those hats...

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Does it matter which path you take when playing Classic Mode (specifically choosing between both hands or just Master Hand) to get better items on the roulette?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does it matter which path you take when playing Classic Mode (specifically choosing between both hands or just Master Hand) to get better items on the roulette?
It can depend on the intensity level that you're playing. You could take the hardest route and get absolutely nothing out of it.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Are there any differance in the paths at all? (besides the amount of gold gotten and characters)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Are there any differance in the paths at all? (besides the amount of gold gotten and characters)
From what I've seen, the easiest routes often give you the following battle formats...

1 vs. 1
2 vs. 2
3 vs. 1 (giant)
1 vs. 1 (metal)
1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1

The harder routes can sometimes reduce the amount of teammates that you're given against the giant fighter. In fact, by taking the hardest routes, you could end up facing the giant fighter without any teammates by your side.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
So, I was looking through all my customs and now I only need 20 more to finish them all; however I can't seem to find out which characters out of those I still need. The characters I have marked down equal up to 18 customs moves, is there an easy way to tell which 2 I still need?

Omnikron

Smash Rookie
I just want to say, I completely feel for ALL OF YOU who have posted here. I know I'm not alone. My biggest regret in this game was using my last hammer for "Clear Smash Run with All Characters". This would have been MUCH easier than collecting all moves and costumes...especially because of all the doubles you can get randomly. Why give us moves we already have? A big flaw, IMO. If it wasn't for this achievement, I would have all of my challenges completed...sucks...and, like some have said, it does somewhat detract from my willingness to play any further

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I'm fine with custom moves, and I already have all mii outfits unlocked. My only problem is the hats... I HATE collecting all these darn hats! After all the time I've been playing, I still need 9 more... I absolutely hate this unlock system.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm only 4 hats short on my end, but it doesn't exactly help that the headgear that you get is completely random (if you get any at all), regardless of who you use.

Edit: I'm down to just 3 hats now. I recently got a new hat while playing Target Blast. I believe it was the Frog Hat that I picked up.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I like doing Smash Run. Once you start to learn the layout and get good upgrades for all of your characters it becomes a great source for custom move grinding. Also I feel like it's less repetitive than spamming Classic Mode.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I somehow managed to get all the random trophies today, so that pretty much leaves me with having to get the remaining three Mii hats that I'm missing, along with playing 50 collective hours of Smash.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I have a bit of a problem, and this is the best place I know of to post it. I was going for the clear all-star with all characters, and I finally did it, however, the challenge thing isn't showing that I completed it. I did it with all characters including all three Miis and made it all the way through with all of them. I did go on easy instead of normal for Olimar, but I wouldn't think that would matter, would it? I checked and all of the trophies are there, so I am very confused. Please help.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have a bit of a problem, and this is the best place I know of to post it. I was going for the clear all-star with all characters, and I finally did it, however, the challenge thing isn't showing that I completed it. I did it with all characters including all three Miis and made it all the way through with all of them. I did go on easy instead of normal for Olimar, but I wouldn't think that would matter, would it? I checked and all of the trophies are there, so I am very confused. Please help.
Did you complete 60 challenges and unlock all the fighters? Challenge panel 3 will not appear until after you've completed those tasks.

Fortunately, if you've completed a panel 3 challenge prematurely, it'll automatically be marked as complete as soon as you do unlock the panel.

xTmT

Smash Rookie
NNID
sneakybeavr
Switch FC
4906-2203-5611
Very helpful thanks!

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Did you complete 60 challenges and unlock all the fighters? Challenge panel 3 will not appear until after you've completed those tasks.

Fortunately, if you've completed a panel 3 challenge prematurely, it'll automatically be marked as complete as soon as you do unlock the panel.
Yes, I have panel 3 and all characters. I guess I can try using Olimar on normal, but... he is really bad in all-star and I honestly can't complete normal with him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes, I have panel 3 and all characters. I guess I can try using Olimar on normal, but... he is really bad in all-star and I honestly can't complete normal with him.
Are you 100% sure that you've cleared All-Star with everyone? Make sure that you have ALL the alternate fighter trophies (not counting the Miis of course). Difficulty level should not matter.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Are you 100% sure that you've cleared All-Star with everyone? Make sure that you have ALL the alternate fighter trophies (not counting the Miis of course). Difficulty level should not matter.
Okay, I don't know if this is what you meant the first time, but I looked on smashpedia, and apparently you have to have all characters unlocked for it to count with any of the characters you used. (for example, I used Little Mac before I had Duck Hunt Dog, so I had to redo Little Mac after unlocking Duck Hunt Dog, or it wouldn't count for him.) If that's what you meant the first time, sorry for missunderstanding. Eather way, thanks for trying to help!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, I don't know if this is what you meant the first time, but I looked on smashpedia, and apparently you have to have all characters unlocked for it to count with any of the characters you used. (for example, I used Little Mac before I had Duck Hunt Dog, so I had to redo Little Mac after unlocking Duck Hunt Dog, or it wouldn't count for him.) If that's what you meant the first time, sorry for missunderstanding. Eather way, thanks for trying to help!
Not exactly. I completed All-Star mode with Mario before unlocking everyone, and he still counted.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Not exactly. I completed All-Star mode with Mario before unlocking everyone, and he still counted.
Hm... Well, I don't know what to do then. I've been going thru all of the characters I used, but it hasn't been working. Oh, well. This is the custom move unlocking threat thing, so I think we should probably get back on topic. I guess I'll find a way somehow.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Apparently custom moves have to be unlocked separately for Smash Bros for Wii U.

Why Sakurai? Why?
I didn't attempt all-star mode until I had unlocked all characters.

I did it on easy with most of the characters, and that was not a problem.

It seems like maybe something like that is the problem?

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Apparently custom moves have to be unlocked separately for Smash Bros for Wii U.

Why Sakurai? Why?

I didn't attempt all-star mode until I had unlocked all characters.

I did it on easy with most of the characters, and that was not a problem.

It seems like maybe something like that is the problem?
I honestly don't know what my problem was, but after I put the game down for a while, I got back on and right when I got past the press start screen it was unlocked. Strange. Anyways, I don't even want to think about getting 100% on the Wii U. It really hurts my brain. I'm not usually one to 100% games. Why do I want to 100% Smash Bros, one of the hardest games to 100%, so bad?

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Oops, I kept forgetting to come back to this thread! My apologies to everyone whose contributions I've failed to edit into the OP - I will edit those in today. And thank you to everyone who has expressed appreciation - I'm glad that this has helped!

Wii U transferring won't be so bad, honestly. With so many slots available per character it'll be pretty easy to transfer the best sets for each one over and not really have to worry about frequent future edits. It still baffles me why Sakurai made it so tedious to collect all these - I'm not one to complain often, but they really should have just been available from the start. Between characters, stages, headgear, equipment, trophies, and (in the Wii U version) CDs there is PLENTY of other stuff to unlock. With how well custom moves have been implemented (and seemingly without breaking game balance), it's a shame that many won't ever really know the joy of this feature.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
So I have come to the point in the game where I have completed Classic, All-Star, Smash Run (first place), and all Stadium challenges with every fighter. And after all of that, I still have left to collect:
- 14 trophies (but 3 are from challenges, so 11 randomized trophies)
- 149 character custom moves
- 14 Mii hats
- 28 Smash Run powers

I have three challenges left on the challenge board: all customs, all powers, and Classic on 9.0 intensity (I've been putting this off for a while--I'm completely dreading it).

So yeah, it's going to be sheer misery from here on out. I'm going to go on a series of Classic runs, starting with 0.0 and working my way up in increments of .5 each go, until I finally get to 9.0. I hear that different Mii hats are available to different intensities, so maybe this will help that out a bit? I'm going to use the home screen trick to try to land on a red wrench each time (or at least gold because I do still have trophies to buy, even though new trophies stopped showing up in the Shop ten visits ago). Maybe I'll land some custom moves thereby.

But yeah, custom moves is going to be brutal. Despite still needing 100, it's uncanny how many times I'll get duplicates on those, to the point where sometimes I come out with no new special moves at all. (I also find, in contrast to most, that the character I'm playing as has little effect on whose moves I get.) I'm finding the game to be similarly stingy when it comes to Smash Run powers. I'll get 5 or so powers during a run, and one or none of them will be new.

This is terrible. I miss the Stickers in Brawl because at least then you could just set up a sticker factory custom stage with Sandbags and just let Bowser go to town while you watched TV or browsed the internet.

My goal is to beat Classic on 9.0, get all random trophies, and MAYBE get all Smash Run powers before the Wii U version releases in less than two weeks. But I definitely don't expect to obtain all hats and moves before then.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I will 100% this game... No matter how hard and boring it is, I will do it!... Just maybe after I rest a day. Seriously, I've been playing about 5+ hours a day every day since the game came out... and I'm still really far away.

Top Bottom