• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

Hitzel

Smash Ace
After I've tried everything, I think I've comfortably settled into doing Smash Run and only picking up equipment bags. Once I get all of the customs for a character, I move onto another character. I've been getting at least 2 custom moves every run which isn't bad considering that I actually enjoy playing Smash Run. I feel that I'll quickly get to a point where new characters I move onto will already have most of their moves unlocked, since I'm getting somewhere around 50% special moves for my characters, 50% for others.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Been playing around with this. Right now it seems if you're focused on getting customs for a single character, Smash Run is better. If you're trying to grind for every custom, Classic Mode is the way to go.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
There's 44 Powers with Lv.1-4, so 176.
Went to see in the stats how many I got of 'em. That data is not there. Had to count by myself. Sakurai clearly is ********.
Anyway, I got 170. I'm close, so I'm working on them next. At least I'll unlock a hat if I get them all. Hopefully it's not that big of a pain. I see that I have higher levels of certain powers (like 3 and 4) but I'm missing the lower (like 2). So there's no logic behind this unlocks either, right?

Also, 334 special moves unlocked. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But the hats... Still missing 14 and a not a single new unlock in days... I'm not ready for this.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I have 324 custom moves unlocked, so I'm pretty far along. But it seems like it got significantly harder. After doing all the classic/all-star/smash run every-character challenges, I already had around 250 moves or something like that. I did Classic mode a little bit and it was ok, but very inconsistent - at times I would get 3 or 4 new moves, others I would get nothing.

So I switched to doing Smash Run. On the first row of characters, I was missing one or two moves for most of them. Bam bam bam, two or three Smash Runs apiece and they were all finished. Next row, it went slower, still haven't finished a couple of the characters. After that, I can do five Smash Runs without getting a single new move.

I've tried doing trophy rush, and it was ok, I can't seem to get more than 4 custom parts in a run though and usually I won't get a new move. But it's half the time of a single Smash Run and less than a quarter of the time of a Classic mode (when you add in the time to do the roulette trick and the credits, each run is not that quick even if you beat the levels very quickly), so maybe it's worth trying a little more.

What the hell.

I'm gonna try the Target Blast thing a little bit today. It's a little frustrating since it can be hard to hit the custom part, so maybe I'll try only going for easy to hit ones.

Sakurai ought to patch this, IMO. No way something that could be required for the tournament scene should be this hard to unlock.

Whatever on unlocking the hats (that's the other thing I have to finish out to get the last challenge) and outfits (I have all of those), but custom moves should not be so difficult.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just made a Classic Mode and unlocked 14 custom moves! Which I already unlocked!
This game is pathetic. Worst Smash Bros. game ever. WiiU version please save me.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'd have to agree. While the fighting is good, there's little variety both in terms of modes and options. The item drop randomization is HORRID and makes me turn off the game quicker than I want out of frustration and disappointment. It's BY FAR the worst aspect of the game since there is ZERO control over it.

While Brawl had Stickers, they weren't a necessity like the Custom Moves are. Playing through Classic, All-Star, Smash Run and Trophy Rush over and over and over again to get little to no progress is mind-numbing.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
21 special moves, 14 hats, 4 trophies and 1 Smash Run power left. My God I'm almost done with this ****.

Also, does using Mii enhance the possibility of unlocking hats? I didn't unlock any of them in days, and I never used Miis since my priorities are the moves now.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I DID IT. All custom moves and trophies unlocked.
Just missing 12 Mii hats. Those can wait, hopefully they'll be easier to unlock on WiiU. That was ****ing ridiculous.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Same here. Target Blast really helped me get those last few moves.
I did it on Classic mode. Trophy Rush unlocked a few but I used for trophies mostly (of course). I hope the WiiU adds something like a Custom Shop. Put the hats up even for like 25.000 coins, I don't care, it's fine by me. Better than grinding, at least I can have some fun. I just realized that I played for like 50 hourse, and still don't know the stages that much. Paper Mario for example seems completely new every time I lay my feet on it because it almost never appears in single player modes.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
target blast? i dont remember seeing many custom things in it when i played it.
do you just check to see if theres a custom item in it and if not restart over and over?
Yup. You might even want to take it a step further and limit yourself to layouts where the custom will be easy to get. Certain positions are hard to hit... especially with certain characters.

For some reason some characters, like Luigi, have only a few moves that will get that damn bomb off the starting platform, and thus it's fairly difficult to manage the angles

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I know there are 685 Trophies. I dunno how many pieces of Headgear, but I think I have 52 but don't have all of them yet.

EDIT:
I wonder if playing with Custom Moves equipped merits more Custom Moves as rewards?

EDIT 2:
It seems like it helps. But you're still at the mercy of RNG pumping out old Moves and Moves for other characters.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Mii hats are the ultimate pain. I have all trophies and custom moves but still missing 6 hats.

Also while getting Custom Moves, I found a way to quickly clear up the last few moves for each character.

1. To do this you'll need to have a lot of coins, only 1-2 moves left for each character, and you need to be able to do the pause trick easily.
2. Play Classic Mode on 9.0 and for the first path pick whatever path does NOT have a trophy. On the roulette, always pause to get exactly 3 wrenches (From what I've played, on 9.0 there will always be a 3 wrench on the first stage).
3. Clear the level, if any of the parts you get is a custom move you needed, pick another trophy-less path and suicide on the next stage and do not continue. The reason you do this is because if you have only 3 items when you lose, you will not lose any of them. If you have any more than 3 then you'll start losing items on game over, and I've been screwed over by luck a number of times by losing the exact item I wanted.
4. If you don't get anything you need on the first stage, just play out the rest of Classic mode as normal. The advantage to quitting early is you don't have to play through the entire Master Core fight and sit through the credits every time just to grab 1 new custom move.

The main disadvantage of this method is it drains your coins very quickly since every run costs 2200 coins and you don't get much back if you lose after clearing just stage 1. However it is probably the fastest method there is, and you probably already have a ton of coins from running Classic mode normally anyways. Once I had just 1 or 2 moves left for every character, using this method let me clean up the rest in just a day.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Mii hats are the ultimate pain. I have all trophies and custom moves but still missing 6 hats.

Also while getting Custom Moves, I found a way to quickly clear up the last few moves for each character.

1. To do this you'll need to have a lot of coins, only 1-2 moves left for each character, and you need to be able to do the pause trick easily.
2. Play Classic Mode on 9.0 and for the first path pick whatever path does NOT have a trophy. On the roulette, always pause to get exactly 3 wrenches (From what I've played, on 9.0 there will always be a 3 wrench on the first stage).
3. Clear the level, if any of the parts you get is a custom move you needed, pick another trophy-less path and suicide on the next stage and do not continue. The reason you do this is because if you have only 3 items when you lose, you will not lose any of them. If you have any more than 3 then you'll start losing items on game over, and I've been screwed over by luck a number of times by losing the exact item I wanted.
4. If you don't get anything you need on the first stage, just play out the rest of Classic mode as normal. The advantage to quitting early is you don't have to play through the entire Master Core fight and sit through the credits every time just to grab 1 new custom move.

The main disadvantage of this method is it drains your coins very quickly since every run costs 2200 coins and you don't get much back if you lose after clearing just stage 1. However it is probably the fastest method there is, and you probably already have a ton of coins from running Classic mode normally anyways. Once I had just 1 or 2 moves left for every character, using this method let me clean up the rest in just a day.
Does this work for hats too? I have all the custom moves and I'm willing to pay the remaining 12 hats like 25000 coins.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Does this work for hats too? I have all the custom moves and I'm willing to pay the remaining 12 hats like 25000 coins.
Unfortunately even playing as Mii on 9.0 doesn't seem to increase the odds of getting Hats which is why it's a huge pain.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It seems to me if you're playing classic, and you got a new move, it is ****ing guaranteed to be what you lose if you don't beat Master Core on the first try. Who the ****'s idea was it to make it this tedious to unlock **** and also decided to make it so that you lose your new items if you die?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I have 17 moves left for 16 characters, 4 Smash Run Power and 7 Hats to go. This.is.so.PAINFUL. I consider this stuff to be Essential, not like Trophies. Why are these SOOOOO difficult to unlock? Grouping Equipment (Infinite RNG) with Moves (350+), Outfits and Hats is ridiculous. They have no business being in the same drop category. It's just unacceptable.

RedishGreen

Smash Rookie
Gee. This really is a pain in the ass.
Who in their right mind at the dev studio thought playing Classic 3,498,281 times over for Custom Moves was a good idea?
In other words, I've heard from somewhere that having a Super-fast Mii Build for Smash Run helps since Mii's have their moves all unlocked, but then again, since you're not dedicating it to one player, it's going to mostly be equipment you don't need or a special move for a character you don't play.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
There should be an algorithm to sort what has been collected and what still needs to be unlocked.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The System is officially broken. 7.0 Dark Pit run and I ran into a situation where I HAD to get Trophies (bull****, btw) and what was one of the Trophies that I got? Mr. Game & Watch (Alt), aka his All-Star Trophy, a Trophy that SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET BESIDES BEATING ALL-STAR WITH MR. GAME & WATCH!

Enigma14

Smash Champion
The System is officially broken. 7.0 Dark Pit run I got Mr. Game & Watch (Alt), aka his All-Star Trophy, a Trophy that SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET BESIDES BEATING ALL-STAR WITH MR. GAME & WATCH!
What.

I need to collect 5 trophies to complete all 685. I'm hoping that later today we get the announcement that this will be patched or made easier in junction with the Wii U version. I know that everyone is complaining about it being hard to collect stuff but being able to patch it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if the Japanese players are vocal about it.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
What.

I need to collect 5 trophies to complete all 685. I'm hoping that later today we get the announcement that this will be patched or made easier in junction with the Wii U version. I know that everyone is complaining about it being hard to collect stuff but being able to patch it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if the Japanese players are vocal about it.
I played through Classic at 7.0 with Dark Pit. In one stage, the roulette only had Coins and Trophies. One of my Reward was a Mr. Game & Watch (Alt.) Trophy, aka a Trophy that I should only be able to get with him by beating All-Star Mode. My point is that it's part of a larger problem that stems to Custom Moves, Hats, Equipment and Smash Run Powers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No matter how high you set the intensity, you'll never be able to get more than 5 custom equipment in one match. If you don't want to deal with Master Core, just don't go over intensity level 7.9, and you'll have the option of fighting Master Hand all by himself.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The System is officially broken. 7.0 Dark Pit run and I ran into a situation where I HAD to get Trophies (bull****, btw) and what was one of the Trophies that I got? Mr. Game & Watch (Alt), aka his All-Star Trophy, a Trophy that SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET BESIDES BEATING ALL-STAR WITH MR. GAME & WATCH!

ahahahahah I read about this but I didn't think it was actually possible. Such bull**** my lol
What's even the point? To complete the challenge board you do have to do All-Star with Game & Watch anyway...

I even read you can actually get the trophies/custom locked in the challenges by random. Making the challenges actually useless.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Oh. Yeah. It happened. Besides ZSS, who I used to beat All-Star on Hard, all of my Alt Trophies are at x1 with G&W-a at x2. So bad.

At least the Direct showed the 3DS version at 1.0.3, so a patch is coming out soon, hopefully to fix this mess of a system.

I've been getting mostly lucky as of late, as I need 6 Moves now, with 7 Hats and 4 Powers to go.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Well, I got all the powers and moves. I'm only missing like 10 hats.

I have no clue how to influence them to drop more often. Could playing as Mii Fighters help?

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice

I have no clue how to influence them to drop more often. Could playing as Mii Fighters help?
Not from what I have experienced, seems to me they have a different algorithm than custom moves and equipment making their drop rate not influenced by the character you play as...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I now have over 300 custom specials, though in terms of Mii Headgear, I only have like 44 hats collected. To add insult to injury, there are about as many as 55 hats to collect.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

I suggest to just wait Sm4sh U out and unlock them there. I miss 12 of them and I decided to stop.

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
It boggles the mind how horribly designed the special move unlocks are. This has got to be one of the most tedious ways to unlock a gameplay-related feature (that's arguably essential) in any game I've ever played. Plus you can't have special moves on and equipment off without manually creating builds like this and choosing them for CPUs.

Game design 101: pure randomness leads to frustration, and filtering out unlocks the player already has is common sense, at least to people who actually play games. A linear or selective progression makes much more sense.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It boggles the mind how horribly designed the special move unlocks are. This has got to be one of the most tedious ways to unlock a gameplay-related feature (that's arguably essential) in any game I've ever played. Plus you can't have special moves on and equipment off without manually creating builds like this and choosing them for CPUs.

Game design 101: pure randomness leads to frustration, and filtering out unlocks the player already has is common sense, at least to people who actually play games. A linear or selective progression makes much more sense.
I hope with Crazy Orders, this will be fixed. Seems that you'll be able to unlock much more stuff (more than 20 a game) and if you choose the hardest path, possibly always new stuff.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've finally finished unlocking all custom moves yesterday. I gotta say it feels like a burden has been lifted lol. I have to admit I probably won't use even 25% of them but it feels good to have that option open. Plus I can use them for my own research in match up guides

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, it looks like we will have to re-unlock for the Wii U version as the unlocks are not shared between the two versions.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
You can transfer you custom characters to the Wii U tho. If you have a 3ds you can create a custom character there and transfer. It's tedious especially if you use multiple characters with multiple combinations of customs but it beats trying to unlock them all again.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
You can transfer you custom characters to the Wii U tho. If you have a 3ds you can create a custom character there and transfer. It's tedious especially if you use multiple characters with multiple combinations of customs but it beats trying to unlock them all again.
Yeah, but my fear is that you won't unlock the actual moves on WiiU, you'll just be able to use those moves for the character you transfered, and that's all. God this sucks so much.

Top Bottom