• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The 3DS got a recent update which actually BUFFS the Home button strategy. Before there was a bit of delay before the home screen appeared but now that seems to be gone.
Really? I haven't been getting that update cause I've been too busy playing the game and lazy to do the update. I need to do that update as soon as possible now, haha.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Quick Note: The purpose of this thread is to (hopefully) provide a definitive guide to quickly obtaining custom moves. Various strategies for doing so have popped up all over the internet in the wake of the game's release. Given their massive quantity and the extent of grinding necessary to obtain them all, a primer is essential. If you're just interested in seeing the proposed method for this, skip to the list in part two. That part's very simple, but I'm going to try to be very detailed here, because I'm creating this with the hope that relatively new players will not have to struggle as much as I did at first in the collection process. As such any alternate methods that prove faster will be welcomed and this post will be updated accordingly. I'm no authority and I'm perfectly willing to change this and properly credit it if feedback indicates I should.

This thread is not intended for debate about the value, purpose, use, or competitive viability of custom moves. I would ask that if you are a cool, classy customer you will refrain from posts of that nature and seek out a more appropriate thread.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I think you're great! Don't you ever forget it!

PART ONE: Basic Notes About Customization

Here is a breakdown of all custom moves by character. I'm not sure where it came from, so for now at least, thanks to some mystery person.
  • To customize any character, simply access the "Custom" menu from the "Games & More" screen OR turn customization (the wrench) on from the Character Select Screen and choose any character.
  • When all is said and done, every single character will have two alternate choices (for a total of three options) available for any given Special move.
  • For an example of all this, create a Mii character, which will guide you through the basics.
  • Aside from the Miis, Palutena comes pre-loaded with all of her custom moves already available. Keep in mind that she is a unique case within the regular roster in the sense that all of her alternate moves offer incredible variety. For most characters, custom moves will essentially take the chosen special and alter it in some way, as opposed to changing it to an entirely different move.
  • Remember that you can store up to ten variations of any custom move set and that you can test the set by pressing R from its menu before saving it.
  • Also, you can give the set a nickname. Your opponents will not see this nickname, it is just to assist your memory. I would personally suggest something simple; I give them a 4-digit code listing the moves picked (ex. 1323).
  • Custom moves can be used online against friends, but not against strangers.
  • There are 376 custom moves that can be unlocked. Maybe it's just me, but for me, that's a pretty big number. Listen, I can't pretend that I know or understand anything about you, you might even be a terrible monster and, just guessing, you probably are, but I'm hard pressed to believe that you would consider it editorializing if I told you that having to unlock that many of a thing sure seems like a lot of work.
I should obviously also mention equipment. It is unlocked in the same way that custom moves are, and is also represented by the wrench. The circle that appears on your character when customs are enabled will present what kind of equipment you're wearing. I am not as acquainted with it in practice, but you will need to use it within this strategy, so just make a mental note that it is there.

PART TWO: How to Unlock Custom Moves FAST
First things first, watch this video (which I did not make, kudos to its creators):

This is just part of the strategy, but it is the key component. It is essential that you understand exactly how this works. If you can see any of the red wrench icon you want above the icon showing when you do the Home Button trick, hold A and hit Resume to land there. If you can only see the icon you want with none of the previous one showing below, or if you see a sliver of the icon above it, you will pick the icon above it, so hit Resume without pressing A and try again. If you let the roulette keep going for too long, it will eventually stop, so try repeatedly if you are failing so that you don't risk being stuck with something else. You'll get it, it's very easy to learn. Sometimes the game will lag a bit in doing this. Don't worry about it.

Now, let's go through the steps to quickly collecting.

1. Go to Classic and choose the character who you most want to obtain custom moves for. They will be more likely to receive them, although you will also occasionally receive moves for random characters.
  2. Turn on Customs and equip anything that increases your attack power. Along the way you will unlock more powerful equipment, so adjust after every match. Focus solely on the attack stat, and, if available, choose equipment that offers critical hits or hyper smash attacks.
  3. Start Classic at the highest intensity you feel comfortable with, and use the Home Button trick before every stage to hit the red wrench.
  4. Well, now you beat the stage. The reason I specify what equipment to choose is that it makes this a relatively brainless process. With a good boost to your attack power, it'll only take a few smash attacks to win any given match.
  5. Once you are comfortable enough to increase the difficulty to a higher setting, do so. The more you do this, the faster it will go. With a handful of powerful pieces of equipment, I was able to take down every Classic stage in under 30 seconds, and even Master Core at 9.0 in under a minute - and this is not me bragging; I'm certain I'm not a great player by any means. This is just how much power the equipment offers.
  6. Again, not all drops will be moves. Many will be equipment. Some will be repeats. There does not seem to be a way to effect what drops.
  7. Rinse and repeat. All told, with practice this process will take 5-10 minutes and net you 15+ drops every time. When you've obtained all custom moves for any given character, the game will let you know.
That's all there is to it.
A handful of custom moves can (only?) be gained through Challenges. They are:
Captain Falcon - Lightning Falcon Kick: Land a 10 hit combo in Training Mode
Diddy Kong - Pop Gun Explosion: Clear 3,000 blocks in Trophy Rush
Ike - Muscle Bomb: Clear 1,000 blocks in Trophy Rush
Link - Giant Bomb: Clear 300 blocks in Trophy Rush
Mario - Explosion Punch: Score 200,000 in Target Blast
Marth - Easy Combination: Complete 100 Man Battle in less than 3 minutes
Meta Knight - Speed Drill: Win 5 matches as Meta Knight
Villager - Lloid Climb: Fight a match on Tortimer Island
Wii Fit Trainer - Big Ball: Land a 10 hit combo in Training Mode

PART THREE: Alternate Methods

Smash Run - Smash Run is fun, and if you're looking for everything, including gold and trophies, it's worth going through a handful of times. The problem is that drops are inconsistent and that some characters simply have a harder time faring well in this environment. It's up to you to decide how well this works, but it's essentially a gamble.

Trophy Rush - This one... Okay, I'll be honest. Some people have sworn by this, but I frankly find it to be the worst method available. I'll admit to this being a personal frustration, and I would recommend putting the effort in to see if you can find success with it. A two and a half minute rush will cost you 900 coins, and your skill level will determine how many customs you obtain. For me personally, a good run nets four if I'm lucky, but I've seen others claim to do well at it and snag eight or so every time.

I chose to recommend the Classic method because anyone can more than double their attack power and blitz through vs. matches, but ultimately all of these are worth trying, and you may find that one of these other ways fits you best. In the end the best way is probably just going to be whatever you have the most fun with, and obtaining every single move in the game is only really worth it for the completionists out there. Good luck!
I got lightning falcon kick through Smash Run, so you can also get the challenge customs through smash run/classic, too. Same thing with the trophies in challenges, of course.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
If I'm mixing it up with Smash Run farming then I just go ham with speed equipment and focus on doors, chests, and whatever enemies are easyish to kill but have decent odds of dropping customs.
This is what I've been doing recently. I can get 3-4 new moves per run, and the fact that even the lowliest enemies like Waddle Dees can drop custom bags is an excellent help.

Sure, it will take some adjustment for anyone to find the difficulty setting they're comfortable with. But with 2 stocks guaranteed in every stage and the ability to KO opponents in seconds so easily, I think most people could manage to go pretty high. With a few good pieces of equipment, the gain in power is just so much greater than the loss in defense. Even if ~6.0 is as high as you're willing to go I believe this remains the best method.

Thank you for asking this, it slipped my mind - sorry, there are just so many things to keep track of in this game! The color-coding actually signifies difficulty level, with blue being the easiest path and red being the hardest. You'll almost always be able to find a wrench in the roulette wheel (I can only recall one time in my many runs through classic that there inexplicably wasn't even one) but it's possible that going down the harder route will net higher multipliers. I honestly can't tell, because I usually go for the red route anyway and don't have enough samples to give a definitive ruling. It seems logical that it would, but I don't have any proof. You'll pick up more coins and trophies from the path itself by going red, so there's that at least. If you can manage it, you might as well. If anybody actually knows just what math the game uses for this that would be very helpful!

I'll update the OP tomorrow and incorporate everybody's contributions then (with due credit, of course). Thanks for all the feedback, everybody!
Of all my high-intensity Classic runs, always going the blue path gets me 2, maybe 3 customs per match. I saw 5 maybe once or twice, and never any 4s.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just tried this out. 9 intensity, Duck Hunt Duo, I have circa 176 moves left to unlock.
I unlocked only three moves which I already unlocked in the past.
**** this game, seriously. Multiple unlocks of the same **** are the most pathetic excuse of grinding I've ever seen in a game and it's not even an RPG.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I feel the pain. I did a Classic run with Pac-Man and out of the first 8 tools I won, 4 of them were THE EXACT SAME MOVE. This has been happening to me a lot. I'll get wrench x2 on the roulette, win the match, get awarded two of the same thing :(

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Like everyone else here, I'm pretty frustrated getting the same stuff over and over. To the game-makers: we're an intelligent audience, and we respond best to actual challenge when collecting things, not artificial challenge thanks to RNG BS.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Can someone tell me exactly how many the special moves to unlock are? I have 227 and I read somewhere they're 376. I don't understand if Palutena's and Mii's moves are counted. How is it possible I always unlock the same **** when I have so much stuff left to get?

I have all of Mario, Luigi, Zelda, Ganondorf and Charizard moves also. So I'm never playing with them again until I get all the others.

Last edited:

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me exactly how many the special moves to unlock are? I have 227 and I read somewhere they're 376. I don't understand if Palutena's and Mii's moves are counted. How is it possible I always unlock the same **** when I have so much stuff left to get?

I have all of Mario, Luigi, Zelda, Ganondorf and Charizard moves also. So I'm never playing with them again until I get all the others.
Here is the math: (4 move slots) x (2 customs each slot) = 8 per character
(8 moves per character) x (49 characters on selection screen) = 392 total custom moves
392 - (8 Palutena customs) - (8 Mii customs) = 376 unlockable custom moves

This math assumes that the Miis only have one set of customs but this is acceptable because the additional customs would also be included in the subtracted non-unlockable customs.

Since the game does not remove unlocked customs from the draw pile, your 227/376 = 39.6% chance to draw a new custom move, but the probability is actually worse because there is a chance to draw equipment items since the game does not differentiate custom moves from custom equipment. So, lets make the assumption that the game first decides between giving equipment or giving moves which means there is a 50% chance of drawing a move. Second, the game decides which custom to give you which we already calculated at 39.6% chance to get a move you do not already have... now multiplication of these two chances together gives you your actual chance to draw a new custom move and.... drum roll please... 19.8% chance to draw a new custom move.

Now what I am worried about is when you get down to say only needing one new custom move. This is 1/376 x 0.5 which is a 0.13% chance to draw that custom move... I had my hopes up that once all the custom moves for a certain character were unlocked, they would be removed from the draw pile; however, this is not the case. I have all of Zelda's custom moves and her moves are still showing up...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
(8 moves per character) x (49 characters on selection screen) = 392 total custom moves

This math assumes that the Miis only have one set of customs but this is acceptable because the additional customs would also be included in the subtracted non-unlockable customs.

Since the game does not remove unlocked customs from the draw pile, your 227/376 = 39.6% chance to draw a new custom move, but the probability is actually worse because there is a chance to draw equipment items since the game does not differentiate custom moves from custom equipment. So, lets make the assumption that the game first decides between giving equipment or giving moves which means there is a 50% chance of drawing a move. Second, the game decides which custom to give you which we already calculated at 39.6% chance to get a move you do not already have... now multiplication of these two chances together gives you your actual chance to draw a new custom move and.... drum roll please... 19.8% chance to draw a new custom move.

Now what I am worried about is when you get down to say only needing one new custom move. This is 1/376 x 0.5 which is a 0.13% chance to draw that custom move... I had my hopes up that once all the custom moves for a certain character were unlocked, they would be removed from the draw pile; however, this is not the case. I have all of Zelda's custom moves and her moves are still showing up...
It's exactly like the stickers in Brawl. Pure pathetic bull**** to force the player into making the same **** over and over again. I'm so fed up by Sakurai's way of unlocking stuff really, he should limit himself in the core gameplay. Every once in a while I unlock something new, but basically I cannot use the characters of which I have all the moves (Mario, Luigi, Rosalina & Luma, Zelda, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Palutena and the Miis) in single player anymore. So infuriating.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that once all the custom moves are unlocked in the 3DS version that I can transfer that to the WiiU version without having to do all the grinding again.

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
I have been playing a lot of the single player modes today and I would like to share something I found today. I obtained 5 new custom moves from Classic on 7.0 Intensity. 3 of those were for the character I was using(Peach), 1 for Greninja and the other Link. Custom moves do have a preference for the character you are playing, so I just started playing Classic with every character and it nets me basically new customs every run.

With this in mind, I am thinking the way the moves are dropped are crudely:

4/8 moves obtained by playing as that character
4/8 moves obtained by playing as another character.

Obviously this is just empirical but I believe it does follow the train of though since playing through say Mario for the first time got me 5 custom moves: 3 for him and 2 for other characters. Playing a second time with Mario got me 1 custom move for another character and tons of equipment.

This could be Sakurai's abusive way of telling you to play every character.

Valzy

Smash Cadet

Not exactly true, you're significantly more likely to get equipment of the character you're using. It's definetly not 1/376 to get the last move, it's way higher if you use whomever the move is for.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly true, you're significantly more likely to get equipment of the character you're using. It's definetly not 1/376 to get the last move, it's way higher if you use whomever the move is for.
You are right, I did not include the currently used character preference into the calculations. I have been using Palutena and the Mii Fighter to get around the character bias. So, then make the assumption that first decision is 50/50 on equipment or move, second decision is 50/50 currently used character or another character and then a 1/8 chance to get the new move. This gives a 3.1% chance to get the move. 50/50 is probably an inaccurate ratio; however, if you account for the equipment preference over giving moves and the character being used preference over other characters then the two probably cancel out to around the 50/50 assumption.

Say the ratio is 60/40 equipment to moves and then the character ratio is 60/40 current character to other character; this comes up to a 3.0% chance to get the new move. While the chance to obtain the new move is essentially the same with these ratios, it states that you are far more likely to get equipment to moves and far more likely to get current character moves to other character moves. This is more accurate for overall custom obtainment; but if you are interested in just the approximate chance to get a move then use the 50/50 to simplify the math.

Valzy

Smash Cadet
We should probably do some research on what the deop ratio is, it could be helpdul. Although, I wonder if the ratio changes depending in the difficulty

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
In Smash Run, it seems like some enemies are more likely to drop custom parts than others.

Like most of the Giant Goombas I squash tend to drop custom parts.

Valzy

Smash Cadet
In Smash Run, it seems like some enemies are more likely to drop custom parts than others.

Like most of the Giant Goombas I squash tend to drop custom parts.
Classic is faster than Smash Run for grinding for parts, plus it gives you more experience fighting against other characters, which is always helpful

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, I just finished unlocking all of the moves; it was quite the battle. I didn't really find the max attack strat very workable; you die in a small number of hits, and the AI reads your input a lot and just hits you when you go for smashes to kill them fast. Maybe there's some trick to make the AI actually let you hit it with slow moves more easily, but I found my losing odds were pretty high if I maxed attack (which means minimized defense) especially in the 2v1s where you often don't really get a chance to do anything.

I used intensity 7.9 with no equipment. It's braindead easy (no master core!), and you don't waste all that time picking equipment which is a double edged sword in the first place. Never choose to fight Little Mac, avoid Olimar and Pac-Man as much as you can, pick Ness whenever possible (Falcon, Star Fox, DK, Wario also great), always go for Fighting Mii Team if it's an option, and if you have 3 or fewer items and that includes a new custom, intentionally suicide to kill the run (you only lose items for failing if you have 4 or more items). Also be smart and kill runs if you have earned nothing useful so far but just drew a fight without customs on the roulette.

I'm pretty sure moves you haven't gotten are more likely to come up than ones you already have. You'll still see ones you already have a lot as you get near the end, but it's not in the ratios you'd expect if there was no bias in your favor here. Likewise, you are extremely more likely to get moves for whichever character you are using, and while you seem to get equipment based on your opponent, I haven't observed a similar correlation with moves so don't worry about opponent beyond just minimizing difficulty. Always use whichever character you're missing the most moves for, and that is the most probable route to minimze the number of playthroughs you have to do. When you get to the point where you are only missing one move per each character you don't have all the moves for, my experieince is that it averages about 1.5 classic runs per move from that point forward but you should have finished many characters by that point.

This really does take a very unreasonable amount of time no matter what you do, but you can make steady progress without doing very much work if you do it right at least...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I really hope that once all the custom moves are unlocked in the 3DS version that I can transfer that to the WiiU version without having to do all the grinding again.
I consider that obvious, if it's not Sakurai can go **** himself.
All the trophies appearing in both version (items, Classic and All-Star trophies, and some other), all the custom moves, all the custom parts, all the Mii outfits/headgears you unlocked on the 3DS should be unlocked on WiiU THE VERY SAME MOMENT you connect the consoles. And the other way around, if someone decides to play the 3DS version after the WiiU one.
Anyway, it's so random it's frustrating even when you get a lot of moves by doing nothing much. Yesterday I made like 10+ Smash Runs and unlocked 4 new moves in total, this morning I made two Smash Runs and a Trophy Rush and unlocked 6 new moves in total. I really do not understand all this ****. I'll try Classic at 7.9 like Amazing Ampharos says, because I have to make some money (I'm always running short).

At least I have only 21 trophies left, three of which are related to Challenges I haven't done yet I think.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I'm sick and tired of getting the stupid equipment. It's really frustrating to get this garbage after you fight that cheap Master Hand or Core.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
How pissed are you going to be if Sakurai patches the game to make unlocking customs and such easier (e.g. by preventing you from getting duplicates)... after you grinded over and over to get them the hard way?

Anyway, if anybody has a strategy for Trophy Rush or another mode, that should be added to the first post. I've tried with DK doing Hand Slaps over and over but I can generally only get 3-4 custom parts, and then I generally only get one custom move (which might not even be a new one). So it doesn't seem very good. Classic mode seems the best for me so far.

I would note that there's some chance, even at lower intensities, to get a good haul. I brought it down to Intensity 2.0 just because I was going for the last Mii Fighter trophies and I wanted to get them over faster, and then I got 4 new custom moves on that run! This despite only getting one custom move per match. Other times I've been on high intensity and yeah I get lots of custom parts, but they're all equipment and duplicates.

Seriously poor design here. They should have made them easier to get, or at least given better consistency (maybe you have to play on a harder difficulty, whatever) so that you don't waste 10 minutes and get nothing.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I didn't read through the entire thread so it may have been asked already, but what is the home button trick? I don't know what this is. Maybe the OP can link to it in the first post? That would be helpful. Or please reply here with that for me :)) .............. Sidenote, is there an available list of ALL challenges/obtainables/unlockables in the game (not just moves, but moves too)? I want to be able to know what I'm missing and cross things off.

Thanks!!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I didn't read through the entire thread so it may have been asked already, but what is the home button trick? I don't know what this is. Maybe the OP can link to it in the first post? That would be helpful. Or please reply here with that for me :)) .............. Sidenote, is there an available list of ALL challenges/obtainables/unlockables in the game (not just moves, but moves too)? I want to be able to know what I'm missing and cross things off.

Thanks!!
It's described in the first post and in the video in the first post.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yesterday was kinda better. 281 unlocked.
I have all the moves for Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Zelda, Ganondorf, Palutena, Robin, Falco, Charizard, Captain Falcon, Shulk and the Miis.
Shulk's ones especially suck goddamn. The jumping backslash is absolutely useless.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I've done about 60 Smash Runs and I've already gotten over 200 unique moves. I prefer Smash Run to Classic Mode because once you get good at it, you're able to create a path to hit pretty much every location where treasure chests spawn.

Couple of things I've noticed
- High-speed builds are awesome here and you can fully navigate the map and do the challenge rooms in the 5 minute time limit. On average, I'm collecting about 10 custom parts a run
- Some enemies are more likely to drop custom parts than others. It seems like the stronger the enemy, the better chance of dropping custom parts, though it seems like any enemy can drop them (I've gotten them from regular Goombas, Petilils, Giant Goombas, Kritters and Polar Bears, to name a few)
- The prize for each challenge door is not random, though the contents of the challenge door are. There is one challenge (I think it's easy break the targets but I forget what it is right now) where the reward is always two custom parts. Whenever this challenge showed up in my runs, it would always give me that prize.

Comparing these and my Classic Mode results, I think that Smash Run is the preferable option unless you are playing Classic Mode on a significantly high difficulty (8.0 or higher). I've been playing Classic Mode on 7.0 and my custom loot tends to match my Smash Run results and increasing the difficulty by a tenth (7.0 to 7.1) rarely has an impact on the roulette wheel. 8.x gets me about 12 on average and 9.0 gets me about 15.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Focus on unlocking for characters you plan on maining first before going for the others.

I've honestly not been focusing on unlocking anything that wasn't in the challenge area, trying to complete every challenge at the moment and I've gotten most if not all the customs for the cast.

I've done Smash Run for the whole cast, working on Classic mode next then the stadium modes for everyone or All Star mode.

Either way, it will take a while but since I got all the customs for my mains and secondaries I'm not worried about unlocking the rest.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I've been doing classic mode trick just to try to get Mario's cap today. I had like 15 and over movesets almost every playthrough BUT STILL NO MARIO CAP! I've been playing it on 9.0 and even beat master core every time. STILL NO LUCK. I've mentioned my problem of getting this cap on other threads now and I can't get it for some reason! Why can't the game just give me the hat now? Why must it give me similar equipment I don't even need? Why does it have to give me stuff I already collected? WHY DO I HAVE DEDEDE FULL MOVE SET IF I HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED HIM ONCE!? I just want the hat. That's all I've wanted. I spent most of my playthrough of smash 3ds ever since it first released. I've tired many things. Trophy rush, smash run, and back to classic 9.0 using the trick and still nothing! So here is my reaction to all this crap trying to get a freaking hat... WHAT THE ****!?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Smash Run seemed like it was working better for me. I'm already at 300 custom moves, and each run was getting me about one or two new moves and one or two new Smash Run powers or Mii hats or whatever... until I had a string of bad luck and the last four I did got me squat despite still getting a lot of parts.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Unlocked 8 new moves the last Classic mode. I encountered the 5 custom part roulette twice though. It's so ****ing random.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
Smash Run seemed like it was working better for me. I'm already at 300 custom moves, and each run was getting me about one or two new moves and one or two new Smash Run powers or Mii hats or whatever... until I had a string of bad luck and the last four I did got me squat despite still getting a lot of parts.
I have to agree. In addition, Smash Run has the added benefit of getting Smash Run Power drops which, in my experience, only drop in Smash Run. For those that are challenge driven, Smash Run is the better option as each run is working towards completing multiple challenge objectives. Sure you could use a hammer on the Collect all Smash Run Powers challenge, but if you are going to be grinding to get the custom moves you might as well work on both challenges at once. There are just better challenges to use the hammers on such as the dreaded Streetpass ones, I get a Streetpass may once or twice a month so it would probably take me years to get 20 KOs by knocking one foe into another foe.

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen
I really want that Peach Mii Wig thats the only reason Im still playing this Smash Run. Im really sick of getting all over again Im missing 5 Mii Hats and have about 1000 equipments but NO PEACH WIG!!!! Im really happy I got the Daisy Wig so I can finally play as Daisy. But I need the Peach Wig too to create Shadow Peach. BUT IM ALWAYS GETTING THE SAME MI HATS!!!! Im soon on my limit. After I can transfer my save file to the digital one I play Trophy Rush until I got this ****ing Wig. THIS GAME REALLY HURTS MY EYES. I see my invironment unclear after I played a lot of Smash Runs. -.-""""

ArnoldLayne

Smash Rookie
I have to agree. In addition, Smash Run has the added benefit of getting Smash Run Power drops which, in my experience, only drop in Smash Run. For those that are challenge driven, Smash Run is the better option as each run is working towards completing multiple challenge objectives. Sure you could use a hammer on the Collect all Smash Run Powers challenge, but if you are going to be grinding to get the custom moves you might as well work on both challenges at once. There are just better challenges to use the hammers on such as the dreaded Streetpass ones, I get a Streetpass may once or twice a month so it would probably take me years to get 20 KOs by knocking one foe into another foe.
You can get all the Streetpass challenges (apart from "5 Streetpass Hits") in practice mode :)

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
a good equip to go through the whole classic mode besides the hands is one that starts you with a home-run bat, and one that makes said bat's smash faster. give that to Mac, wh has super armor ont he smashes, and you are good to go

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It feels like I've hit a wall. I've done Smash Run after Smash Run, and even Classic a few times and literally I've only gotten like four new moves after trying for hours.

WTF. Sakurai is a piece of ****.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
It feels like I've hit a wall. I've done Smash Run after Smash Run, and even Classic a few times and literally I've only gotten like four new moves after trying for hours.

WTF. Sakurai is a piece of ****.
Do not know if this has been posted before, but I believe I have developed a better method of unlocking the custom moves. First, perform a Smash Run with a character who you want to unlock custom moves. Then go into Target Blast and restart until there is a custom target. I have found that the custom drops, both custom moves and custom equipment, are more likely to be specific to the character you last played as in Smash Run.

I was down to only 45 custom moves left to unlock and was playing as the characters who had the most probable chance to drop a new custom move. After 7 Smash Runs with Marth and no luck on the custom move front, I switched to playing Target Blast as Ganondorf; soon after all the needed customs for Marth dropped. I tested to see if this was repeatable with Yoshi and Olimar, who were the next two characters with the most custom moves still locked, within 30 minutes I had all their respective custom moves unlocked. Just performed Smash Run with Mega Man who only needed one more move unlocked and it was the first drop I collected in Target Blast.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I do not know if this is faster than say using the roulette work around in Classic Mode, but it is significantly less frustrating.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
At this point I really do not give a ****. I have 329 moves unlocked, 38 hats, and 680 trophies, and I'm always getting the same stuff over and over. I'll just wait for Sm4sh WiiU to come out, hoping that someone finds another exploit in that game to unlock the few remaining stuff. I'm focusing on the trophies.

How many Smash Run items are there? Is there a list? I have to get them all to unlock the last challenge (using the hammer for the "get all equipments" one) and I don't think I miss a lot of them.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
There's 44 Powers with Lv.1-4, so 176.

Custom Move unlocking is killing the game for me. It really is. It's so bad for them to not only be RNG-based, but in the same category as RNG-created equipment, making the odds of getting them, let alone new ones, significantly harder than they should be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom