• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Great Evil Walks the Earth, the Ganondorf in Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion

What's your opinion on Ganondorf's moveset?

• Love it, it's inseparable from Dorf to me

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • Like it, but wouldn't mind a revamp

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Neutral, don't care either way

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Don't like it, but I can live with it

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Hate it, and a revamp is long overdue

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • I like it, but I would still prefer a revamp.

Votes: 41 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quillion

Smash Hero
Been a while.

Ganondorf beating the **** out of Bayo was a sight to see.

:shades:
Hmm, I guess there is some merit to Ganondorf's U-Smash now that meteors on standing opponents are untechable.

Well, since Ganondorf is probably going to keep his sword, I might as well warm up to it. I'd like to ask y'all: if you could replace one aerial with a sword move, which one would it be?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hmm, I guess there is some merit to Ganondorf's U-Smash now that meteors on standing opponents are untechable.

Well, since Ganondorf is probably going to keep his sword, I might as well warm up to it. I'd like to ask y'all: if you could replace one aerial with a sword move, which one would it be?
Having an aerial forward smash would be pretty neat.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Nair and Bair. Ganon's aerials are all really good but those seem impractical and just mimicking CF's.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Having an aerial forward smash would be pretty neat.
You mean kinda like Robin? I think that could be a little awkward since being in the air is more intense than on the ground and tapping to Smash would be more of a reflex. Also, his F-air is a canon move since he does it in artwork.

Nair and Bair. Ganon's aerials are all really good but those seem impractical and just mimicking CF's.
I think N-air is fine since Ganon does kick kinda like that in WW.

But I kinda agree with B-air. U-air would also make more sense as a sword move as well.

D

Deleted member

I think if they gave Ganondorf Ike's u-air and d-air (keeping Ganondorf's d-air properties of course), that would feel more accurate to his character.

Although, they already gave Ike's d-air to Roy and Wolf (does Wolf still have it I wonder?)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think if they gave Ganondorf Ike's u-air and d-air (keeping Ganondorf's d-air properties of course), that would feel more accurate to his character.

Although, they already gave Ike's d-air to Roy and Wolf (does Wolf still have it I wonder?)
No way, the stomp is too good to be ruined by some idea of canon. But I could definitely see U-air go. The acrobatic kick doesn't really the best on him TBH.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I tried Ultimate at EGLX (was there for Canada Cup), but I had no chance to test out anything. All the matches were free for all.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I rather keep aerial stomp and forward aerial. They fit with Ganondorf's personality and his power based moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No way, the stomp is too good to be ruined by some idea of canon. But I could definitely see U-air go. The acrobatic kick doesn't really the best on him TBH.
Another thing that can be baffling is that the u-air uses the Sakurai Angle, instead of vertical knockback. None of Ganondorf's aerials send fighters flying upwards at a 80-90 degree angle, which can be a problem if he wants to KO the floaty fighters more easily.

In fact, I feel that a majority of the up aerials should be delivering vertical knockback.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Another thing that can be baffling is that the u-air uses the Sakurai Angle, instead of vertical knockback. None of Ganondorf's aerials send fighters flying upwards at a 80-90 degree angle, which can be a problem if he wants to KO the floaty fighters more easily.

In fact, I feel that a majority of the up aerials should be delivering vertical knockback.
When you're a character that generally moves too slow to get many juggles, knocking them offstage for stage control or edgeguarding is the next best thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When you're a character that generally moves too slow to get many juggles, knocking them offstage for stage control or edgeguarding is the next best thing.
In a way, that's where the n-air, f-air, and b-air would come into play. However, the u-air does have the least amount of start-up lag, and its hitboxes do cover altitudes that Ganondorf's other aerials don't reach.

Anyway, the main problem is that the u-air's animation suggests that it should be dealing vertical knockback. Of course, Luigi's n-air does deal vertical knockback, despite its animation being the same as Mario's n-air.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I rather keep aerial stomp and forward aerial. They fit with Ganondorf's personality and his power based moveset.
His old Smashes all fit better with his personality than that stupid sword, yet look where we are now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In a way, that's where the n-air, f-air, and b-air would come into play. However, the u-air does have the least amount of start-up lag, and its hitboxes do cover altitudes that Ganondorf's other aerials don't reach.

Anyway, the main problem is that the u-air's animation suggests that it should be dealing vertical knockback. Of course, Luigi's n-air does deal vertical knockback, despite its animation being the same as Mario's n-air.
We could point out unrealistic launch angles for most characters all day if we wanted to. Lots of dash attacks should cause semi-spike angles for instance.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We could point out unrealistic launch angles for most characters all day if we wanted to. Lots of dash attacks should cause semi-spike angles for instance.
Either that, the Sakurai Angle, or vertical knockback, depending on the dash attack's animation data.

Rizen

Smash Legend
His old Smashes all fit better with his personality than that stupid sword, yet look where we are now.
What I dislike about the sword is Ganon swings it like a club, similar to Ike. Ganon always treated swords like swords in the games, not just bashing them into the ground.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What I dislike about the sword is Ganon swings it like a club, similar to Ike. Ganon always treated swords like swords in the games, not just bashing them into the ground.
Those swords weren't two-handed claymores though. And even OOT Ganon mostly swung his dual blades around in a fashion that would be equally effective with clubs.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Is Smash Melee/Brawl/4 the only portrayal of Ganondorf you actually like?

Because Wind Waker and Twilight Princess don't portray him as a clumsy bruiser, but as a skilled swordsman...

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is Smash Melee/Brawl/4 the only portrayal of Ganondorf you actually like?

Because Wind Waker and Twilight Princess don't portray him as a clumsy bruiser, but as a skilled swordsman...
Aonuma and Fujibayashi can do whatever the hell they want. It's their series, and Zelda likes portraying its characters with different abilities in different contexts. So it's perfectly fine for Ganondorf to have wildly diverse portrayals across the series.

But Smash is a crossover that needs to be a uniting factor across both itself and the Zelda series. And the best way to do that is to keep Ganondorf as the magic-charged puncher that we all love him as currently. You can't just put Melee Ganondorf in a vacuum; sure he actually was Captain Falcon with worse frame data in that game, but by Brawl, he really came into his own with animations more befitting his character. Ganondorf is prideful, powerful, and manipulative. He controls the flow of battle and punishes enemies for their mistakes. THIS is the spirit of Ganondorf.

But now they've thrown it all away with that damn sword. Now what's the point of being calculating when he has those big, sweeping hitboxes?

Yes, perhaps he needed buffs, but couldn't they just bring back his Melee frame data while keeping his current animations instead? Now he has to depend on spacing to get kills; there's no more punishing for stupid mistakes anymore.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aonuma and Fujibayashi can do whatever the hell they want. It's their series, and Zelda likes portraying its characters with different abilities in different contexts. So it's perfectly fine for Ganondorf to have wildly diverse portrayals across the series.

But Smash is a crossover that needs to be a uniting factor across both itself and the Zelda series. And the best way to do that is to keep Ganondorf as the magic-charged puncher that we all love him as currently. You can't just put Melee Ganondorf in a vacuum; sure he actually was Captain Falcon with worse frame data in that game, but by Brawl, he really came into his own with animations more befitting his character. Ganondorf is prideful, powerful, and manipulative. He controls the flow of battle and punishes enemies for their mistakes. THIS is the spirit of Ganondorf.

But now they've thrown it all away with that damn sword. Now what's the point of being calculating when he has those big, sweeping hitboxes?

Yes, perhaps he needed buffs, but couldn't they just bring back his Melee frame data while keeping his current animations instead? Now he has to depend on spacing to get kills; there's no more punishing for stupid mistakes anymore.
Dude. It's three moves. Moves that were mostly used for hard reads and will continue to be used as such due to their slowness which hasn't changed. And if you're going to be the least mobile superheavy in the game you may as well have some good hitboxes to show for it.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Well, since Ganondorf is probably going to keep his sword, I might as well warm up to it.
That didn't last very long.

Untrue. Ganondorf has been in 3 Zelda games and was alluded to in 2 others. Each one implies a wizard thief with knowledge of the sword. Also, every Ganon/dorf aside from FSA is the exact same guy over the ages. His style doesn't and hasn't changed. They are also the de facto source for the canonical approach to Ganondorf. Stop asserting that Sakurai's genius overwrites theirs.

"Ganondorf is prideful, powerful, and manipulative. He controls the flow of battle and punishes enemies for their mistakes. THIS is the spirit of Ganondorf" How does a sword remove any of those things? He's also a skilled pianist, thief, magician, conqueror, illusionist, mind reader, ruler/commander, strategist, and deceiver. Are any of his known attributes lost with the use of a sword?

Thrown what away? Three smash attacks? And what part of being "calculating" is lost by giving him a weapon? He now can be even more calculating because of those "big, sweeping hitboxes." He can use these to actually force his opponents to play the game his way.

It's kind of sad how terrible and ignorant this argument is. How often did Ganondorf actually use Forward or Down Smash to optimally punish stupid mistakes? Most of his other options were better for doing that sort of thing. not to mention his only redeemable smash attack was Up Smash. Also, you do realize that 70% of his moveset already KILLS, right?

Having actually played Ganondorf in the demo, I GUARANTEE you that he doesn't "depend on spacing to get kills." Ganondorf has never struggled to kill before and that hasn't changed.

Dude. It's three moves. Moves that were mostly used for hard reads and will continue to be used as such due to their slowness which hasn't changed. And if you're going to be the least mobile superheavy in the game you may as well have some good hitboxes to show for it.
Exactly. Again, it's only three moves; two of those moves sucked anyway. There is no need for such an overreaction.

Honestly it's like saying that since Darth Vader was such a strong, powerful man (because of his cybernetics) that he shouldn't use the Force or his lightsaber. Both Ganondorf and Darth Vader realize one thing that you seem to not understand: they aren't the only dog in the kennel with a bite worse than their bark.

Ganondorf regularly stands no chance against Link without weapons or magic. He needs those things to keep up with the Hylian Hero, or else he gets trampled on. It's like asking a 9th degree black belt to fight against someone with a weapon. You know what they'd say? "You're crazy. You don't ever fight an armed opponent while unarmed yourself. it's better to run away in situations like that. You're not an action movie hero."

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What?
Ganondorf wields a greatsword in Ultimate. He treats the weapon the same way a man with his size and strength would wield a weapon that big. If you think that is bad, his Hyrule Warriors incarnation abuses his swords in a much wilder fashion. If you want graceful swordplay, use Marth.

I feel that this is getting out of hand. Ganondorf does a little bit of everything in every portrayal: He is a bruiser, a swordsman and a warlock, and his Ultimate incarnation incorporates a bit of this now. I don't understand the gripe Quillion has with the new Smash moves, as it comes from his perception alone on what Ganondorf should be in his head rather than what Ganondorf is across his portrayal.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ganondorf isn't wildly diverse across the series though. In WW and TP, he uses a sword in human form. In TP and OoT, he uses magic when fighting Link (in varying forms, projectiles, phantom riders, etc.), but while the fight against Ganondorf in WW doesn't involve magic, Ganondorf clearly has used magic to create obstacles. Phantom Ganondorfs, Puppet Ganon, etc. are magical minions he created.

As beast Ganon, he uses weapons (usually spears/tridents) and magic projectiles. The only time he doesn't use either is in Twilight Princess, where his beast form is not humanoid in the first place. But usually "Ganondorf" refers to his human form anyway.

Ganondorf is a sorcerer. The "diversity" here is how much he relies on weapons vs. magic. There is no Ganondorf that fights hand-to-hand except in Smash.

Which is why I asked if that's the only version of Ganondorf you actually like.
But Smash is a crossover that needs to be a uniting factor across both itself and the Zelda series. And the best way to do that is to keep Ganondorf as the magic-charged puncher that we all love him as currently.
I'm just noting your trolling.
Ganondorf is prideful, powerful, and manipulative. He controls the flow of battle and punishes enemies for their mistakes. THIS is the spirit of Ganondorf.

Whether a character is based around punishes is not determined solely by hitboxes. And not by aesthetics either.

Personally, I think giving Ganondorf a better representation of his magical abilities would be better than giving him a sword, but either way, him having a sword doesn't mean he's no longer based around punishing. Giving him more magical abilities wouldn't affect that either. (Making him a very ranged fighter might affect that, but it would still depend on aspects like how ranged the projectile, how fast, powerful, easily avoidable, etc.) Projectiles can also create reactions that can be taken advantage of, that would allow Ganondorf to control the flow of battle. But that apparently wouldn't fit? I wouldn't want him to turn into Samus or Mega Man, but there are a lot of characters with projectiles that play very differently from those two (who also play quite differently from each other).
"Ganondorf is prideful, powerful, and manipulative. He controls the flow of battle and punishes enemies for their mistakes. THIS is the spirit of Ganondorf" How does a sword remove any of those things? He's also a skilled pianist, thief, magician, conqueror, illusionist, mind reader, ruler/commander, strategist, and deceiver. Are any of his known attributes lost with the use of a sword?
Actually, it's an organ, not a piano :p
Honestly it's like saying that since Darth Vader was such a strong, powerful man (because of his cybernetics) that he shouldn't use the Force or his lightsaber. Both Ganondorf and Darth Vader realize one thing that you seem to not understand: they aren't the only dog in the kennel with a bite worse than their bark.
Right. This is why I think that scene at the end of Rogue One was so great - Vader is an incredible threat but not portrayed as agile and acrobatic like in the prequels. Having a lightsaber and the force doesn't turn him into Marth.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What?
Ganondorf wields a greatsword in Ultimate. He treats the weapon the same way a man with his size and strength would wield a weapon that big. If you think that is bad, his Hyrule Warriors incarnation abuses his swords in a much wilder fashion. If you want graceful swordplay, use Marth.
No one slams a sword into the ground; it ruins the blade. Ganon could have heavy swings without doing that, like Link and Cloud. What I object to is them not trying to recreate animations from LoZ games and instead copying Ike's. Like the later part of this:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeskyGloriousGreatdane-size_restricted.gif&f=1
Maybe make the angle more vertical for the side-scrolling smash game but keep the basic animation. WW or even Ganon from OoT both have good sword slashes they could have borrowed from too.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No one slams a sword into the ground; it ruins the blade. Ganon could have heavy swings without doing that, like Link and Cloud. What I object to is them not trying to recreate animations from LoZ games and instead copying Ike's. Like the later part of this:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeskyGloriousGreatdane-size_restricted.gif&f=1
Maybe make the angle more vertical for the side-scrolling smash game but keep the basic animation. WW or even Ganon from OoT both have good sword slashes they could have borrowed from too.
No one plants their sword in the ground while fighting either, but Link gets a pass just because he does it in the games?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Plenty of fictional characters plant their swords on the ground, it's a very old trope and it looks cool. In real life, it ruins your blade, but that's the beauty of not living in a real world. Ike does this in Smash as well, Chrom does it Awakening and Ganondorf does it in Hyrule Warriors during gameplay and his victory screen:

He scoops dirt at his enemies and you want to gripe about his Side Smash slamming his sword down?
Oot Ganondorf's weapon is a greatsword which is larger than his WW and TP sword in proportion to his size, so I can see why he would wield them with less technique and more brutality instead. It's not so different from the way he wields it in HW and in the Spaceworld 2000 Tech demo, which Ultimate Ganon seems to take after.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The Spaceworld sword even seems to be top-heavy like a club, so it doesn't seem so out of place that Ganondorf swings it like one. If anything, it's his down smash that's the outlier, because he uses a stabbing motion with a blunt-ended sword. To be fair though, 2-hit attacks that drag you into the second hit never made sense anyway.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Wow, really? They changed it for all the Zelda characters?
I dunno about Link, YLink, Zelda or Sheik, but I did see footage of Toon Link winning and they played that exact same fanfare. Some decisions on what things to recycle or not boggle my mind.
https://youtu.be/-QyQWFVRDQE?t=2980
Click at 49:40 to hear for Toon Link if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is it bad that I kind of miss Ganondorf's Twilight Princess appearance? I mean sure, he's sluggish when compared to everyone else, but he's still good in his own right.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is it bad that I kind of miss Ganondorf's Twilight Princess appearance? I mean sure, he's sluggish when compared to everyone else, but he's still good in his own right.
It certainly should be an alt, but I just miss the old Smashes.

They were much better than this dumb sword that panders to a crowd that cares nothing for fighting game design.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
It certainly should be an alt, but I just miss the old Smashes.

They were much better than this dumb sword that panders to a crowd that cares nothing for fighting game design.
First, I too miss the TP look very much. I've never really been much of a fan of the OoT design, but I've warmed up to it over time.

Second, I'm not going to pay the troll.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree, design-wise TP was the best Zelda. Ganon's armor looked great, Link's chainmail was a nice touch that made his tunic not look stupid for a change and for the most part other races looked really good. ...you just have to ignore the goron old man nipples.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I agree, design-wise TP was the best Zelda. Ganon's armor looked great, Link's chainmail was a nice touch that made his tunic not look stupid for a change and for the most part other races looked really good. ...you just have to ignore the goron old man nipples.
Clearly, you didn't see the designs of... every character design not Link, Zelda, Ganon, Midna, and Zant. The design awfulness carried into SS as well.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Clearly, you didn't see the designs of... every character design not Link, Zelda, Ganon, Midna, and Zant. The design awfulness carried into SS as well.
Humans always look weird in 3D LoZs; it's been that way since OoT. The Zoras and (most) of the Gorons in TP are my favorite designs.

They actually gave them culture.

Edit, of course smashboards screws up any time I try to post an image. IDK why I bother.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20130114150151&path-prefix=es
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...incess).png/revision/latest?cb=20090524214543

Last edited:

PurpleStuff5

Smash Cadet
I like that Ganondorf in OOT (and Ultimate) actually reflects his Gerudo heritage. He actually looks like royalty from a desert tribe. Twilight Princess Ganondorf fits the aesthetic of the game but I think it does a worse job of defining the character through the design if that makes sense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like that Ganondorf in OOT (and Ultimate) actually reflects his Gerudo heritage. He actually looks like royalty from a desert tribe. Twilight Princess Ganondorf fits the aesthetic of the game but I think it does a worse job of defining the character through the design if that makes sense.
Also, when you look at the members of the Gerudo tribe, a majority of them have large noses, even in Breath of the Wild. Ganondorf's Ocarina of Time incarnation follows that trend, but not his Twilight Princess incarnation.

Top Bottom