• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Great Evil Walks the Earth, the Ganondorf in Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion

What's your opinion on Ganondorf's moveset?

• Love it, it's inseparable from Dorf to me

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • Like it, but wouldn't mind a revamp

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Neutral, don't care either way

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Don't like it, but I can live with it

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Hate it, and a revamp is long overdue

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • I like it, but I would still prefer a revamp.

Votes: 41 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
A heavy that could actually properly combo would be sweet. I don't know if it's too late for Ganondorf to lose the sword and go back to the brawling he deserves to have, but if Ganondorf were that heavy, all would be right in the world.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. He doesn't "deserve" brawling... he actually deserve more unique moves. More sword attacks, more magic attacks, Dead Mans Volley, a teleport, a hover mechanic etc.
That would actually be cannon to the games he is in. That what he deserves. And we are about 50% there. Hopefully by the next game we get to 80% lol

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. He doesn't "deserve" brawling... he actually deserve more unique moves. More sword attacks, more magic attacks, Dead Mans Volley, a teleport, a hover mechanic etc.
That would actually be cannon to the games he is in. That what he deserves. And we are about 50% there. Hopefully by the next game we get to 80% lol
We already have plenty of magic/psychic users and heavy sword users. Why do we need to turn a unique brawler into one?

Honestly, I miss the old Smashes, but limiting the sword attacks to Smashes was a pretty good call from a compromise standpoint.

Quillion

Smash Hero
:4falcon:, just saying.
Falcon is a rushdown brawler with a mix of slow and fast attacks.

Ganondorf is a pure punisher with a focus on the neutral. There are no other brawlers like Ganondorf now that Bowser traded that old playstyle for a mixed rushdown/neutral focus like DK's.

It's all about playstyle; Greninja is more of a ripoff of Sheik and Shulk is more a ripoff of Ike than Ganondorf is a clone of Falcon.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
We already have plenty of magic/psychic users and heavy sword users. Why do we need to turn a unique brawler into one?

Honestly, I miss the old Smashes, but limiting the sword attacks to Smashes was a pretty good call from a compromise standpoint.
As Rizen Rizen noted; Captain Falcon is the unique brawler. Ganondorf is the main antagonist of the LOZ series Nintendo's 2nd biggest franchise. It goes without saying that Ganon should be represented with moves from his games.

If they keep him the same as now but add: DMV, a teleport Up B, a hover and a functional up tilt I'll be (and most Ganon/Loz fans) very happy. His standard and aerial moves stay virtually the same but he gets a better and cannon recovery and his famous projectile.

I also hope for more big magic effects on his punches and kicks just so he stands out as a magic infused attacks fighter. Also if we could get down B in the air to be his OoT ground punch I would be ecstatic!
Also imagine what cool throws he could have if they tried to derive them from the games and wanted them to be unique.

We can disagree on how we prefer Ganon to be. But I think its indisputable to say that Ganon Nintendo's 2nd biggest bad guy should get more respect in his moveset from his own franchise and have the least amount of clone moves as possible.

Quillion

Smash Hero
As Rizen Rizen noted; Captain Falcon is the unique brawler. Ganondorf is the main antagonist of the LOZ series Nintendo's 2nd biggest franchise. It goes without saying that Ganon should be represented with moves from his games.

If they keep him the same as now but add: DMV, a teleport Up B, a hover and a functional up tilt I'll be (and most Ganon/Loz fans) very happy. His standard and aerial moves stay virtually the same but he gets a better and cannon recovery and his famous projectile.

I also hope for more big magic effects on his punches and kicks just so he stands out as a magic infused attacks fighter. Also if we could get down B in the air to be his OoT ground punch I would be ecstatic!
Also imagine what cool throws he could have if they tried to derive them from the games and wanted them to be unique.

We can disagree on how we prefer Ganon to be. But I think its indisputable to say that Ganon Nintendo's 2nd biggest bad guy should get more respect in his moveset from his own franchise and have the least amount of clone moves as possible.
Look, people are miffed that Bowser lost his brutal headbutt. People are pissed at Link's BotW based changes since it's not their preference for Link to have those abilities. These aren't even monumental changes yet people hate them.

These portrayals hold special places in both the hearts of Smash fans and fans of each series alike.

And even then, Ganondorf's moveset is nowhere near as big a deal as you make it out to be. Major news outlets never questioned why Ganondorf does all that punching the same way they did with Ridley. Heck, even Sakurai answered a fan's question on why Wario didn't have his Shoulder Charge in Smash 4, while no one seemingly asked about Ganondorf.

Isn't that a sign that only a vocal minority only wants their Ganon canon, while everyone else just loves how he plays the way he is?

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I use a mod in Project M for Ganon called Triforce Ganon made by Ashingda (member on the forums).

The 2nd to last version he made was amazing! And kept Ganon true to his magic fighter but he gave him a sword rush neutral B (like in TP sword fight) neutal B is a hover in th air (from PM 3.6). Down B is a rising ground punch (OoT), Up B is a teleport with a grab box like his current Up B (OoT/TP), Up smash is a magic vortex above him. Side smash is a magic blast in front of him and if you charge the smash it increases the range of the attack, down smashed is a modified version of the volcano kick but it's actually very useful as it can be timed as an edge guard much better, up air is an arching hand swipe rather than a kick (works almost the same), Nair is a reflecting Cape move from PM but has great range (great for juggling).

I will try and find the video showcasing the moves for you guys. I might record it myself if I have to. But my point is it's not hard to make Ganon unique while keeping his style. A sword or magic smashes dont change his style they quite possibly make it much better. Keep and open mind.

Look, people are miffed that Bowser lost his brutal headbutt. People are pissed at Link's BotW based changes since it's not their preference for Link to have those abilities. These aren't even monumental changes yet people hate them.

These portrayals hold special places in both the hearts of Smash fans and fans of each series alike.

And even then, Ganondorf's moveset is nowhere near as big a deal as you make it out to be. Major news outlets never questioned why Ganondorf does all that punching the same way they did with Ridley. Heck, even Sakurai answered a question on why Wario didn't have his Shoulder Charge in Smash 4.

Isn't that a sign that only a vocal minority only wants their Ganon canon, while everyone else just loves how he plays the way he is?
His playstyle doesn't automatically change from some different moves. If anything it can be enhanced by those moves.
Long reaching sword smashes (among other possible changes) can make his punish game even better if implemented properly. Time would tell if they are a benefit or not. My guess is they will be a boone for Ganon mains not a detriment.

Edit: also Ganon in Brawl and Smash4 is terrible. Some/many moves should change to make him a viable fighter. Heavy characters also need longer range attacks to keep some pressure and to punish better Ganons smashes were the worst smashes of any heavy character except up smash cause it was quick but it doesn't mean it cannot be better.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I use a mod in Project M for Ganon called Triforce Ganon made by Ashingda (member on the forums).

The 2nd to last version he made was amazing! And kept Ganon true to his magic fighter but he gave him a sword rush neutral B (like in TP sword fight) neutal B is a hover in th air (from PM 3.6). Down B is a rising ground punch (OoT), Up B is a teleport with a grab box like his current Up B (OoT/TP), Up smash is a magic vortex above him. Side smash is a magic blast in front of him and if you charge the smash it increases the range of the attack, down smashed is a modified version of the volcano kick but it's actually very useful as it can be timed as an edge guard much better, up air is an arching hand swipe rather than a kick (works almost the same), Nair is a reflecting Cape move from PM but has great range (great for juggling).

I will try and find the video showcasing the moves for you guys. I might record it myself if I have to. But my point is it's not hard to make Ganon unique while keeping his style. A sword or magic smashes dont change his style they quite possibly make it much better. Keep and open mind.
That's a fan project; they can do whatever the hell they want.

But giving Ganondorf that much range would ruin the playstyle I've come to love. Even the sword Smashes in Ultimate have slightly damaged it already. He should be getting in close and getting those heavy hits in.

If anything, he should get the universal heavy armor that Bowser has. That would enhance his current playstyle. Just slap the Melee attack speed onto his current animations on top of that and he's the best he can be.

And shunting the moves onto Black Shadow, as cool as that may sound, would just be a painful reminder of having the moves on a character we didn't want. It would be worse than leaving the Tornado with Doc and not just giving it back to Mario over his overly situational FLUDD.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
That's a fan project; they can do whatever the hell they want.

But giving Ganondorf that much range would ruin the playstyle I've come to love. Even the sword Smashes in Ultimate have slightly damaged it already. He should be getting in close and getting those heavy hits in.

If anything, he should get the universal heavy armor that Bowser has. That would enhance his current playstyle. Just slap the Melee attack speed onto his current animations on top of that and he's the best he can be.

And shunting the moves onto Black Shadow, as cool as that may sound, would just be a painful reminder of having the moves on a character we didn't want. It would be worse than leaving the Tornado with Doc and not just giving it back to Mario over his overly situational FLUDD.
It might be a fan project. But it was extremely and professionally well done. I promise if you used it against human opponents of high skill you would've liked it too. Its literally the same bait and punish style we have now but with a good recovery, better options to deal with the neutral and projectiles and better ways to approach so we can be aggressive too. You should check it out of you can.

Only reason I brought it up is to show that the playstyle you talk about doesn't disappear with the introduction of new moves. In the case of PM and the mod I mentioned it only enhanced the play style and moved Ganon up all the way to B or even A tier possibly.

Why keep him a terrible character with terrible moves just becuaee Sakurai made a mistake in Melee by making him too soon and then kept him the same? Change to a bad character is good.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It might be a fan project. But it was extremely and professionally well done. I promise if you used it against human opponents of high skill you would've liked it too. Its literally the same bait and punish style we have now but with a good recovery, better options to deal with the neutral and projectiles and better ways to approach so we can be aggressive too. You should check it out of you can.

Only reason I brought it up is to show that the playstyle you talk about doesn't disappear with the introduction of new moves. In the case of PM and the mod I mentioned it only enhanced the play style and moved Ganon up all the way to B or even A tier possibly.

Why keep him a terrible character with terrible moves just becuaee Sakurai made a mistake in Melee by making him too soon and then kept him the same? Change to a bad character is good.
Do you want to give Zelda projectile normal Light Arrows despite her being a consistently terrible character?

No, because it's best to work with what we have without making drastic changes.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist

Here it is. The guy playing isnt very good and he is just messing around against a CPU but you can see this doesn't change the way Ganon plays.
And this is a much bigger change than just changing the smashes.

I used this mod against many pretty good skilled players and trust me it's a blast to use and enhances Ganons playstyle a lot.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Do you want to give Zelda projectile normal Light Arrows despite her being a consistently terrible character?

No, because it's best to work with what we have without making drastic changes.
Why not give her light arrows? If its better than her current B or side B why not change it for the better?
A quick arrow move might be good for her playstyle idk I dont main Zelda.

Before I picked up Ganon in Melee i used Link (still do sometimes) him getting remote bombs is great as we can control when it goes off. But idk about the tether grab being gone. He loses a recovery option and I like using it on the ground too to keep distance but it's well known that a standard grab is best for competitive play so it might be for the best.
I say keep and open mind.

New video I found. This is a casual match with items but that sword side smash is really strong! And an added benefit of it being a sword (besides added range and coverage from the top) is that now Ganons hit box for the smashes wont be right next to his hurt-box.
This will allow for much better trades with the smashes and keep enemies at a distance. And since most of the moveset is hand to hand pulling out a sword smash can throw the opponents off. They might think they are in a safe distance but the sword reaches way further than Ganon's arms and legs.
I'm excited to test it out.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

New video I found. This is a casual match with items but that sword side smash is really strong! And an added benefit of it being a sword (besides added range and coverage from the top) is that now Ganons hit box for the smashes wont be right next to his hurt-box.
This will allow for much better trades with the smashes and keep enemies at a distance. And since most of the moveset is hand to hand pulling out a sword smash can throw the opponents off. They might think they are in a safe distance but the sword reaches way further than Ganon's arms and legs.
I'm excited to test it out.
I also hear that his sword does more damage at the tip, which would make them even better for spacing, yet they're clearly still plenty powerful even at the base, which is something that can't be said for Ike's tippers.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why not give her light arrows? If its better than her current B or side B why not change it for the better?
A quick arrow move might be good for her playstyle idk I dont main Zelda.

Before I picked up Ganon in Melee i used Link (still do sometimes) him getting remote bombs is great as we can control when it goes off. But idk about the tether grab being gone. He loses a recovery option and I like using it on the ground too to keep distance but it's well known that a standard grab is best for competitive play so it might be for the best.
I say keep and open mind.
I wrote a blurb about the new Link here, tl;dr I think he looks bad. Since then we discovered Dthrow no longer combos. I hate the changes.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I also hear that his sword does more damage at the tip, which would make them even better for spacing, yet they're clearly still plenty powerful even at the base, which is something that can't be said for Ike's tippers.
I didn't know about the tippers! That's awesome news. And yeah they are definitely very powerful at their base... which means tipping with them would be crazy powerful.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Just thinking that the idea that if Ganondorf had Dead Man's Volley as a projectile, there isn't really any good reason that it should be able to be reflected (except by reflector moves like Mario's Cape, of course). People seem to think it ought to be.

Sure, it would match the way you fight him in the Zelda games... as Link... with the Master Sword. But you can't reflect Dead Man's Volley with just any item. You have to use the Master Sword, or a bug net (lucky for Villager!), or an empty bottle, or a shovel. It would be justifiable based on matching the games to say that other types of moves can't reflect it.

But it would also be justifiable for Ganondorf to be immune to any attack but reflected Dead Man's Volley, the Master Sword and Silver/Light Arrows. In the games, you can never damage him with the Boomerang or regular arrows. Charizard should KO if he falls in water and his tail is submerged. PSI Magnet is used to absorb PP from enemies directly, not to absorb attacks or to convert them to health. Obviously some accommodations have to be made to the needs of Smash.

But the idea that the Dead Man's Volley is "generally" reflectible isn't supported in the Zelda games. There's no reason to suppose punches, kicks, non-Master Swords, etc. should reflect it. So as far as fidelity to the games, it's just as good, if not better, to say that it can't be reflected by normal attacks, and for consistency Link's Master Sword won't be able to either.

But basically, if they're giving him a projectile, I think they should pick whether it's reflectible or not based off of balancing needs. The flavor* can be justified either way. (Of course, they could also justify giving him moves like Blazing Bats that are generally only used by beast forms of Ganon, since we'll likely never get beast Ganon as an independent fighter despite having three Links and two Zeldas.)

*Flavor meaning depiction of the character and concept through aesthetics and game mechanics. I'm borrowing this from MtG terminology...

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just thinking that the idea that if Ganondorf had Dead Man's Volley as a projectile, there isn't really any good reason that it should be able to be reflected (except by reflector moves like Mario's Cape, of course). People seem to think it ought to be.

Sure, it would match the way you fight him in the Zelda games... as Link... with the Master Sword. But you can't reflect Dead Man's Volley with just any item. You have to use the Master Sword, or a bug net (lucky for Villager!), or an empty bottle, or a shovel. It would be justifiable based on matching the games to say that other types of moves can't reflect it.

But it would also be justifiable for Ganondorf to be immune to any attack but reflected Dead Man's Volley, the Master Sword and Silver/Light Arrows. In the games, you can never damage him with the Boomerang or regular arrows. Charizard should KO if he falls in water and his tail is submerged. PSI Magnet is used to absorb PP from enemies directly, not to absorb attacks or to convert them to health. Obviously some accommodations have to be made to the needs of Smash.

But the idea that the Dead Man's Volley is "generally" reflectible isn't supported in the Zelda games. There's no reason to suppose punches, kicks, non-Master Swords, etc. should reflect it. So as far as fidelity to the games, it's just as good, if not better, to say that it can't be reflected by normal attacks, and for consistency Link's Master Sword won't be able to either.

But basically, if they're giving him a projectile, I think they should pick whether it's reflectible or not based off of balancing needs. The flavor* can be justified either way. (Of course, they could also justify giving him moves like Blazing Bats that are generally only used by beast forms of Ganon, since we'll likely never get beast Ganon as an independent fighter despite having three Links and two Zeldas.)

*Flavor meaning depiction of the character and concept through aesthetics and game mechanics. I'm borrowing this from MtG terminology...
I still think giving Warlock Punch an "uncharged" version that reflects projectiles would be the best solution. No need to ruin his playstyle further with a projectile.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I still think giving Warlock Punch an "uncharged" version that reflects projectiles would be the best solution. No need to ruin his playstyle further with a projectile.
:rolleyes:

Giving Ganondorf a projectile wouldn't "ruin" his playstyle. Warlock Punch is basically useless, giving him a decent projectile will give him an additional option without preventing you from playing him basically the same way as you did before, since before you were ignoring his neutral special also. At any rate, it wouldn't be particularly any worse than other characters that have gotten new specials and lost old ones (or large changes to particular moves). They change characters. Ganondorf's changes from Melee to Brawl changed his playstyle more than his sword attacks probably will. The removal of chain grabs and wobbles will change Ice Climbers' playstyle just as radically, for example. There's a way you can play the old Falcondorf as much as you want: play Melee, Brawl or Smash 4.

And, either way, I was merely noting that there's no reason for Dead Man's Volley has to work like Dedede's Gordo or WFT's soccer ball and be reflectible by normal attacks. Based on Zelda canon, Ganondorf's projectiles can't be reflected by the large majority of attacks and Link is generally the only character that has the requisite equipment. Additionally, Dead Man's Volley is the only projectile Ganon uses that can be reflected - he has a number of other projectile attacks that can't be reflected at all (various energy projectiles, fireballs, Blazing Bats, lightning) although he mostly uses those when in beast form or disguised as Agahnim. Why you need to respond to that point about Ganondorf's projectiles not being canonically vulnerable to reflection by just any attack by reiterating what we all know, you hate the idea of changing Falcondorf and don't care about Canondorf, I don't know. Nobody cares about hearing you say you don't like the idea for the 50th time and it has no relevance to what I was talking about.

Either way, my opinion is that Ganondorf was ruined in Melee by being Falcondorf. Falcondorf was a perfectly fine fighter from a gameplay perspective, and I enjoyed playing as him. But he wasn't really Ganondorf. You can disagree, but continuing to whine about other people having other preferences is just annoying. If you don't give a **** about the character-based aspect of Smash, fine. I guess you'd have preferred Dragon King: The Fighting Game instead of Super Smash Bros with totally generic fighters. But other fans (probably the large majority) would not have preferred that. So quit trying to convince people that Falcondorf is actually accurate or something and constantly ****ting on other people's opinions or even discussing how he might be changed when all you have to offer is "but wah, I don't want him to change" and ridiculous claims like "one scene in Windwaker where Ganondorf throws an ordinary punch" shows that Falcondorf is accurate and/or that the Zelda devs were trying to incorporate Falcondorf into Zelda.

That said, giving Ganondorf a reflector attack would be another way of representing Dead Man's Volley and isn't the worst idea, since Ganondorf often has issues with projectiles due to his slow speed and tallness. But maybe I like him that way! Maybe a reflector would "ruin" his playstyle because I enjoy having to figure out how to deal with projectiles as large, slow character without a reflector!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
:rolleyes:

Giving Ganondorf a projectile wouldn't "ruin" his playstyle. Warlock Punch is basically useless, giving him a decent projectile will give him an additional option without preventing you from playing him basically the same way as you did before, since before you were ignoring his neutral special also. At any rate, it wouldn't be particularly any worse than other characters that have gotten new specials and lost old ones (or large changes to particular moves). They change characters. Ganondorf's changes from Melee to Brawl changed his playstyle more than his sword attacks probably will. The removal of chain grabs and wobbles will change Ice Climbers' playstyle just as radically, for example. There's a way you can play the old Falcondorf as much as you want: play Melee, Brawl or Smash 4.

And, either way, I was merely noting that there's no reason for Dead Man's Volley has to work like Dedede's Gordo or WFT's soccer ball and be reflectible by normal attacks. Based on Zelda canon, Ganondorf's projectiles can't be reflected by the large majority of attacks and Link is generally the only character that has the requisite equipment. Additionally, Dead Man's Volley is the only projectile Ganon uses that can be reflected - he has a number of other projectile attacks that can't be reflected at all (various energy projectiles, fireballs, Blazing Bats, lightning) although he mostly uses those when in beast form or disguised as Agahnim. Why you need to respond to that point about Ganondorf's projectiles not being canonically vulnerable to reflection by just any attack by reiterating what we all know, you hate the idea of changing Falcondorf and don't care about Canondorf, I don't know. Nobody cares about hearing you say you don't like the idea for the 50th time and it has no relevance to what I was talking about.

Either way, my opinion is that Ganondorf was ruined in Melee by being Falcondorf. Falcondorf was a perfectly fine fighter from a gameplay perspective, and I enjoyed playing as him. But he wasn't really Ganondorf. You can disagree, but continuing to whine about other people having other preferences is just annoying. If you don't give a **** about the character-based aspect of Smash, fine. I guess you'd have preferred Dragon King: The Fighting Game instead of Super Smash Bros with totally generic fighters. But other fans (probably the large majority) would not have preferred that. So quit trying to convince people that Falcondorf is actually accurate or something and constantly ****ting on other people's opinions or even discussing how he might be changed when all you have to offer is "but wah, I don't want him to change" and ridiculous claims like "one scene in Windwaker where Ganondorf throws an ordinary punch" shows that Falcondorf is accurate and/or that the Zelda devs were trying to incorporate Falcondorf into Zelda.

That said, giving Ganondorf a reflector attack would be another way of representing Dead Man's Volley and isn't the worst idea, since Ganondorf often has issues with projectiles due to his slow speed and tallness. But maybe I like him that way! Maybe a reflector would "ruin" his playstyle because I enjoy having to figure out how to deal with projectiles as large, slow character without a reflector!
I have to agree. Ganon's playstyle in Smash is merely a modified (and rather crappy) Falcon style, not his own style.

In the games, Ganon (and by extension Ganondorf) has never been a brawler. Therefore, he shouldn't be represented as something he isn't.

On the general discussion board for Smash Ultimate (Then Smash for Switch), in the primary discussion thread, there was a brief discussion that I did not get the chance to join in on due to unavailability. One of the users was saying that he felt that Ganondorf using his fists was the greatest display of his major attribute: Power. And that it would be weird for Ganondorf to use magic or swords because it seemed "less powerful."

If I had the chance, I would've responded with this:

Which character is a greater example of someone with immense power?

Akuma from Street Fighter?

Or Darth Sidious from Star Wars?

Now, both of these characters are near polar opposites in how they fight. Akuma uses his fists augmented with Ki and a few Ki projectiles, Sidious uses the Force and his lightsaber(s). However, Darth Sidious is undisputedly not weaker than Akuma.

The question that would've followed would've been: which character do you believe Ganondorf would follow in terms of combat style? Akuma or Sidious?

Because of Ganondorf's physical build (and the influence of his cloneship stemming from Melee), many people assume he'd be an Akuma type of fighter...

...But that's horribly, horribly incorrect. Ganondorf is a Sidious-style fighter. Darth Sidious uses a bladed weapon and the mystic arts to fight. Does this make him weak? Absolutely not! If anything, this makes him more terrifying. What's a greater display of strength? Being able to punch a house down as an impressive showing of physical strength? Or being able to wave your hand at the house and reduce it to dust with the might of your will alone?

Power comes in different forms, and isn't exclusively located within one's knuckles. The Zelda series has proven time and again, and re-iterated time and again, that martial prowess is not what makes Ganon(dorf) a huge threat. He's a wizard with a sword, not a brawler with cast-iron fists.

Anyone who argues that Ganondorf would totally opt to punch someone as his primary method of dealing death over swinging a blade or casting magic is objectively, and factually wrong.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have to agree. Ganon's playstyle in Smash is merely a modified (and rather crappy) Falcon style, not his own style.

In the games, Ganon (and by extension Ganondorf) has never been a brawler. Therefore, he shouldn't be represented as something he isn't.

On the general discussion board for Smash Ultimate (Then Smash for Switch), in the primary discussion thread, there was a brief discussion that I did not get the chance to join in on due to unavailability. One of the users was saying that he felt that Ganondorf using his fists was the greatest display of his major attribute: Power. And that it would be weird for Ganondorf to use magic or swords because it seemed "less powerful."

If I had the chance, I would've responded with this:

Which character is a greater example of someone with immense power?

Akuma from Street Fighter?

Or Darth Sidious from Star Wars?

Now, both of these characters are near polar opposites in how they fight. Akuma uses his fists augmented with Ki and a few Ki projectiles, Sidious uses the Force and his lightsaber(s). However, Darth Sidious is undisputedly not weaker than Akuma.

The question that would've followed would've been: which character do you believe Ganondorf would follow in terms of combat style? Akuma or Sidious?

Because of Ganondorf's physical build (and the influence of his cloneship stemming from Melee), many people assume he'd be an Akuma type of fighter...

...But that's horribly, horribly incorrect. Ganondorf is a Sidious-style fighter. Darth Sidious uses a bladed weapon and the mystic arts to fight. Does this make him weak? Absolutely not! If anything, this makes him more terrifying. What's a greater display of strength? Being able to punch a house down as an impressive showing of physical strength? Or being able to wave your hand at the house and reduce it to dust with the might of your will alone?

Power comes in different forms, and isn't exclusively located within one's knuckles. The Zelda series has proven time and again, and re-iterated time and again, that martial prowess is not what makes Ganon(dorf) a huge threat. He's a wizard with a sword, not a brawler with cast-iron fists.

Anyone who argues that Ganondorf would totally opt to punch someone as his primary method of dealing death over swinging a blade or casting magic is objectively, and factually wrong.
It USED to be blatantly inaccurate, back when OOT was the only game Ganondorf appeared in. But all other games move him away from spell-slinging when he's in single combat. He smacks Toon Link silly with his bare hands both times they meet in Wind Waker, and crushes a Sage to death with what would later be known as Flame Choke in Twilight Princess. So in all of his appearances where he's fighting as himself, he only really threw spells once, and used swords or his fists for the rest. He could do with a projectile to complete the references to all his appearances, but as it is a mix of fist and swordfighting is not far off the mark at all.

Quillion

Smash Hero

Being this nebulous idea of "faithful to canon" should be a tertiary concern at best. It should be about fun first and foremost.

Quoting the creator:
If I only included things true to the original source material, then there would also be times when things wouldn’t mesh well. I always reflect on things that went well and things I want to improve with every Smash, but I think it’s most important to prioritize a game’s enjoyability!
Besides, it's not like I'm exclusively riled about Ganondorf. Melee Bowser is MY Bowser, and Smash 4 Link is MY Link. I don't care that Bowser being an agile wrestler is canon, nor do I care that Link is being an obligatory "recent game" reference.

Wario can very well be a different character from even the WarioWare games (greedy, lazy microgame maker). Roy can be a hot-blooded shonen hero instead of the Marth-like peace-lover like his in Binding Blade. Zero Suit Samus can be a capable martial artist to contrast her armored self's use of projectiles.

If there is anyone who doesn't even like those portrayals, they'll be impossible to please.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Being this nebulous idea of "faithful to canon" should be a tertiary concern at best. It should be about fun first and foremost.

Quoting the creator:

Besides, it's not like I'm exclusively riled about Ganondorf. Melee Bowser is MY Bowser, and Smash 4 Link is MY Link. I don't care that Bowser being an agile wrestler is canon, nor do I care that Link is being an obligatory "recent game" reference.

Wario can very well be a different character from even the WarioWare games (greedy, lazy microgame maker). Roy can be a hot-blooded shonen hero instead of the Marth-like peace-lover like his in Binding Blade. Zero Suit Samus can be a capable martial artist to contrast her armored self's use of projectiles.

If there is anyone who doesn't even like those portrayals, they'll be impossible to please.
I guarantee you people only complain about this these days due to Ganon being bottom tier the past few games. If his ''non-canon'' moveset happened to make him super-viable, the complaints would be only be minor annoyances at best, or be brought up by people who DON'T play Ganon, kind of like how the people mainly complaining about ZSS being more viable than normal Samus because ''canon'' are Samus players themeselves. Hard not to come off as entitled with arguments like that.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Some level of faith to canon is necessary, otherwise it's not Smash Bros, it's Dragon King: The Fighting Game. As a character-based fighter, faithfulness to canon is part of the fun. Like, how do you represent that character's abilities while making sense in Smash, etc. If Kirby fought like Jigglypuff, it would be less fun. If Zero Suit Samus were just a Falcon clone... it would be less fun. If Mega Man had his pellets but otherwise used generic melee attacks... it would be less fun.

What he says about only including things from the original source material isn't about Ganondorf. He's talking about the vast majority of characters which are significantly more faithful to canon than Falcondorf is. He's talking about stuff like... PSI Magnet working very differently in the game. Or Fire Fox and Falcon Punch being invented because there wasn't enough material from their games (since they generally don't appear outside of vehicles). If Falcondorf was the general level he was aiming for, there would be other characters like him. But he's the least accurately represented character in the game, especially if you limit it to characters that had plenty of material for moveset at the time of their debut. And we also know why he's so inaccurately represented: because he was a last-minute addition who was created as a clone, not because Sakurai doesn't generally care about accuracy (which is why Falcondorf is the exception, not the rule). The chances we'd have Falcondorf if they had either had enough time to add fully unique newcomers in Melee or he hadn't debuted until Brawl are approximately 0%.

As far as "OMG who the hell cares" I say the same to you about:

1. Ganondorf using sword attacks even though you'd have preferred his old smashes
2. you getting annoyed at people discussing how they'd like Ganondorf to change
3. if we ever do get special attacks drawn from Zelda, you'll complain about it, and I also won't care

You obviously care, because otherwise you wouldn't keep commenting on discussions of how people would like Ganondorf represented.
I guarantee you people only complain about this these days due to Ganon being bottom tier the past few games. If his ''non-canon'' moveset happened to make him super-viable, the complaints would be only be minor annoyances at best, or be brought up by people who DON'T play Ganon
Ganondorf was one of my secondaries in Melee and I liked playing as him. But I still wanted him to be more like Ganondorf.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Smash is such a popular juggernaut that often when it takes liberties with characters, they end up becoming canon anyway. Stuff like Luigi using his fist-flailing dash attack and Green Missile in Mario Sports Mix, the Smash ability in some Kirby games, Galaxia Darkness in Planet Robobot, Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime, Bowser Jr. using his Jr. Clown Car more often, heck even Ganondorf has used Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. And I wouldn't be surprised if a Metroid game down the line featuring a playable Zero Suit Samus included jet heels for her.

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Smash is such a popular juggernaut that often when it takes liberties with characters, they end up becoming canon anyway. Stuff like Luigi using his fist-flailing dash attack and Green Missile in Mario Sports Mix, the Smash ability in some Kirby games, Galaxia Darkness in Planet Robobot, Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime, Bowser Jr. using his Jr. Clown Car more often, heck even Ganondorf has used Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. And I wouldn't be surprised if a Metroid game down the line featuring a playable Zero Suit Samus included jet heels for her.
He didn't use Warlock punch he punched a projectile to make explode forward. If we got for his neutral B that would be much better.

And as I said before if they kept the majority of his moveset as it is now (with sword smashes) but they change his Neutral B to DMV, Up B to a teleport, give him a hover, change uptilt to be useful (maybe even chargeable) and change Down B to be his ground punch from OoT and other stuff like adding more magic effects to surround his punches and kicks that would please pretty much most cannondorf fans and falcondorf fans.
Changing his specials to be more unique from C.Falcon and giving Ganon more unique things from his games while keeping his A attacks and aerials pretty much the same is best compromise that I believe 99% of both groups can enjoy.
I personally don't want Ganon's A attacks and aerials to change (except uptilt) its his specials and previously his smashes (which are now new) that needs updating.
Characters special moves are the most unique thing about them and often really show cannon moves from their series. Ganon should be no different.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, a Ganondorf boss fight in the Zelda series where he just uses his bare hands (maybe magically charged but whatever) against Link's sword would be a thousand kinds of badass.

He has so much power that he doesn't need to be a coward and snipe Link with an energy ball, nor does he need to use a sword.

And even then, there are a ton of characters who have greatly evolved in their respective canons since their Smash debut. I won't go into detail as per my promise, but a ton of those characters are considered to be good the way they are.

Besides, is there anyone who wants Sheik to bash opponents with her harp or something? That's supposed to be her iconic item, but no one raises a stink about that not even being in a taunt.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Come to think of it, a Ganondorf boss fight in the Zelda series where he just uses his bare hands (maybe magically charged but whatever) against Link's sword would be a thousand kinds of badass.

He has so much power that he doesn't need to be a coward and snipe Link with an energy ball, nor does he need to use a sword.

And even then, there are a ton of characters who have greatly evolved in their respective canons since their Smash debut. I won't go into detail as per my promise, but a ton of those characters are considered to be good the way they are.

Besides, is there anyone who wants Sheik to bash opponents with her harp or something? That's supposed to be her iconic item, but no one raises a stink about that not even being in a taunt.
Link's sword is the Master Sword which is literally the only thing that can Kill Ganon... why in heck would Ganon ever use his bare hands (magically infused or not) to touch the sword. Or even put his body anywhere near the sword intentionally?

Do you even know any lore in LoZ?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Link's sword is the Master Sword which is literally the only thing that can Kill Ganon... why in heck would Ganon ever use his bare hands (magically infused or not) to touch the sword. Or even put his body anywhere near the sword intentionally?

Do you even know any lore in LoZ?
Ghirahim is able to block the True Master Sword with his hands by surrounding them in intense dark energy, and he doesn't have even half the power Ganondorf has.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ghirahim is able to block the True Master Sword with his hands by surrounding them in intense dark energy, and he doesn't have even half the power Ganondorf has.
Ghirahim is literally made of metal; he's
Demise's sword

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Smash is such a popular juggernaut that often when it takes liberties with characters
I don't know why this keeps on being brought up, as if I'm not aware and didn't explicitly mention it.
Charizard should KO if he falls in water and his tail is submerged. PSI Magnet is used to absorb PP from enemies directly, not to absorb attacks or to convert them to health. Obviously some accommodations have to be made to the needs of Smash.
What he says about only including things from the original source material isn't about Ganondorf. He's talking about the vast majority of characters which are significantly more faithful to canon than Falcondorf is. He's talking about stuff like... PSI Magnet working very differently in the game. Or Fire Fox and Falcon Punch being invented because there wasn't enough material from their games (since they generally don't appear outside of vehicles).
The argument isn't that every single move has to be drawn from the source material and they can't take any liberties with them. That his grabs, throws, A-attacks, all of them need to be based on an attack or animation in the Zelda games!

Nobody is saying that. It's about how Ganondorf compares to other characters, and in particular, how his special attacks don't reflect any of his iconic magical attacks from the games.

Luigi... has an up-special based on the jump animation from Super Mario Bros. A down-special based off the Spin Jump from Super Mario World. A fireball, obviously drawn from the Mario games. Given how much attacking is done in the Mario games by jumping on top of enemies, that wasn't enough for a full moveset, particularly at the time Smash 64 came out. Obviously they took some liberties, they have different properties to make them more useful or distinct from Mario, etc. and they came up with some moves to fill out his move set. And that's fine. But Ganondorf, being a more traditional combatant (i.e. not combat based on jumping on heads) had more material for moves as well. Either way, nobody is complaining that Ganondorf's entire moveset needs to be redone!

The closest thing that Ganondorf has to a special from his games is the Flame Choke, which is based off... him choking a guy once in a cutscene (and perhaps Tetra). But it's not a move he uses in boss battles.

I swear, you guys would be defending putting in Dracula from Castlevania as a Captain Falcon semi-clone and saying there's no reason for him to be given moves based on teleportation, fireball or bat projectiles, or bat transformation. And no reason for people to want him to have them. "Why, Luigi Missile is just something added by Sakurai and not based on the Mario games! Who knows, maybe Dracula will use Vampire Punch in the next Castlevania game!"

We get it, you like his move set the way it is and you don't care that he doesn't have any iconic Ganondorf magic and don't care that he isn't an accurate representation. Just say that.
Smash is such a popular juggernaut that often when it takes liberties with characters, they end up becoming canon anyway. Stuff like [...] Bowser Jr. using his Jr. Clown Car more often
No. Bowser Jr uses the Clown Car in all his boss fights in New Super Mario Bros U, which came out well before Smash 4, and used it in many other appearances before that. The trend of him using it more didn't start with Smash 4.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Any validity your argument may have had following this video was wiped out right here. If you're going for this type of "respectful, non-insulting logical approach", you're better off arguing on the GameFAQs forums.

Quoting the creator:
*Ahem*

Well, you almost had a point with that. But there's also this thing where Corrin, Bayonetta, Cloud, Link, Shulk, Ryu, & Robin are all impeccably, and successfully designed to be closely related to how they were in their games. And yet, EVERYTHING those characters got were leagues harder to implement than making Ganondorf resemble his canon self. In Smash Ultimate, they even gave Ryu an auto-turn mechanic like in Street Fighter.

Try again.

No one said Wrestler Bowser was canon. Heck, the most he's done wrestling-wise is punch people. If ANYTHING, it's been said that it fits his personality, which is entirely true. The dude goes about his entire day like he was some sort of WWE Superstar.

Also, who cares if a certain version of that character is your character? That doesn't make them canon. Melee treated Bowser like he was Godzilla. Pro-tip, he isn't Godzilla. Also, Smash 4 Link is canon to Twilight Princess. But Smash Ultimate isn't using Twilight Princess Link anymore, and personally I think if he was used again, it would've been overkill. If you can't accept that your favorite version of Link is being replaced by another person's favorite version of Link, that's your problem. There's no issue with canon on that point. It's all personal preference.

And just for the record, my favorite version of Link is Young Link. I lost him 10 years ago when Brawl came out. I got over it. But Ultimate has brought him back, so in a way I was rewarded for my patience.

Wario can very well be a different character from even the WarioWare games (greedy, lazy microgame maker).
Hey look, I can post SourceGaming articles too:
Wario, Part 1
Wario, Part 2

Had to address this because Smash Wario is actually accurate to his Japanese portrayal. Once I learned this, I stopped being upset about why Wario was treated the way he is in Smash. Western Wario wasn't Japanese Wario. There isn't a difference anymore because WarioWare synchronized the Wario's of both regions.

Roy can be a hot-blooded shonen hero instead of the Marth-like peace-lover like his in Binding Blade. Zero Suit Samus can be a capable martial artist to contrast her armored self's use of projectiles.
Since when was Roy depicted as a hot-blooded shounen hero in Smash? Is it because he uses fire? He uses Fire in The Binding Blade, too. Nothing about his personality comes out in his fighting style in Smash, so there's no contradiction. All we get out of him is that he will protect his loved ones no matter what. Big deal, Marth feels does the same in FE.

Have you read the Metroid manga? She's not a martial artist, but I can easily see why Sakurai made her a certain way. Though, I sort of wish he had gone with a more military-based design with ZSS as opposed a martial arts style, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless, in a vacuum (where you only consider ZSS by herself and not in comparison to normal Samus), ZSS is completely fine. In the Metroid series, she was specifically designed to be less capable than when she had her armor on.

Being less capable means that she had no real moves to borrow from. Therefore, Sakurai had to make up moves for her just like he did for Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Zelda, and so forth. It's only problematic when ZSS is compared to regular Samus. Why is regular Samus slower than ZSS? The answer: game balance. Although, Smash Ultimate may correct that. It's too soon to tell.

Impossible to please? As if. In this thread, people are fairly easy to please. Just do one thing, and it's not hard: base Ganondorf's moveset on his canon abilities. That's it. It has nothing to do with Roy, ZSS, Link, Bowser, Ness, Mario or whatever character you try to throw in to support your point.

The only reason why Ganondorf has such a heated discussion topic like this, and is quite widespread, is because NO ONE (other than you, it seems) WANTS HIM LIKE THIS.

Here's a challenge for you: go and watch a bunch of Smash Ultimate Reaction videos. Please count how many times someone points out that finally Ganondorf is using a sword (given that they actually notice it. Not everyone does I'm afraid). Heck, you could probably do a quick Google search of people requesting him to use a sword and you will end up with a lot of results.

I guarantee you people only complain about this these days due to Ganon being bottom tier the past few games. If his ''non-canon'' moveset happened to make him super-viable, the complaints would be only be minor annoyances at best, or be brought up by people who DON'T play Ganon, kind of like how the people mainly complaining about ZSS being more viable than normal Samus because ''canon'' are Samus players themeselves. Hard not to come off as entitled with arguments like that.
Link's moves in Brawl were canon, but he still sucked. Your point? A character's moves being canon has nothing to do with how poorly they were balanced for gameplay. Ganondorf has never been particularly good in any Smash game he's been in. We just hope that he gets a canon moveset and is actually balanced well.

On the point of correlating a canon moveset with viability, I'd just like to state: Correlation does not imply causation. I'm a Ganondorf player. I want his canon moveset. If he's bad, fine. He's been bad the last two games, it hasn't stopped me from using him before and it won't now. I just want him to be given the same proper representation that all the Sm4sh characters got.

As someone who isn't a Samus player (I use her in Sm4sh once in a while, but I'm only decent), and I'm not even happy that Samus (who should be way more powerful than ZSS, canon-wise) has been poorly balanced two games in a row (and was considered bad in SSB64, to boot). If Samus was actually good at doing any of the things she does, everyone would be happy. I feel it's less of a canon issue, though, and more of a "why does this other version of Samus get all the attention and good balancing and the one I use doesn't?" There is a strange bias towards ZSS in both Brawl and Sm4sh (Zelda's been in Sheik's shadow since Melee), and we're hoping Ultimate corrects that.

Also, no one likes poor game balance so we hope they stay clear of that, REGARDLESS of who it's for.

That would be cool if he were so confident in his power than he feels he could take you out unarmed. But then once he realizes how screwed he is, he arms up with blades, a trident, or magical prowess. Heck, if he pulled out his entire arsenal, that'd be cool.

Making many assumptions here. You don't know how the Triforce of Power works. Also, using Magic or a Sword isn't a sign of cowardice. At that rate, Link ought to be charging in with nothing but his fists because he's not a coward who hides behind swords. The Triforce of Courage demands it!

Your own logic defeats itself, I'm afraid.

Name one that isn't F-Zero where the canon was directly influenced by Smash. And no, Ganondorf punching in TWW or TP does not count either.

Why would she bash someone with that? It's like asking why Link didn't throw his Ocarina at people. Aside from Villager using regular tools as weapons, Sheik's Harp isn't a weapon. It has no real combat capabilities as the songs don't work like that. If you want the Harp as a weapon, play Hyrule Warriors. The taunt thing is a valid point, however, it isn't one new to me. Back when Brawl first revealed that each character had 3 taunts, I thought for sure the the harp would be one of Sheik's.

Needless to say, it wasn't. Link never pulled an instrument out for any one his taunts either. (SSB64 and Melee. Seriously, what the heck are those taunts?)

But do you know what WAS used in a taunt? Ganondorf's sword! Ooh, we just went full circle, son!

I liked the part where you casually overlooked Demise because it would hurt your argument. You know, Demise? Ganondorf's Progenitor?

He used a sword too, you know. His sword was also Ghirahim. Ghirahim was made of metal. Fun fact, metal blocks metal. As Rizen and _Ganondorf_ already pointed out.

Another way to counter your point about Ghirahim: he stopped using his hands when he got serious. So even Ghirahim pulled out his own blades when he really wanted to kill his foe... that sounds an awful lot like what I've shown to be the case with Ganondorf.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Any validity your argument may have had following this video was wiped out right here. If you're going for this type of "respectful, non-insulting logical approach", you're better off arguing on the GameFAQs forums.

*Ahem*

Well, you almost had a point with that. But there's also this thing where Corrin, Bayonetta, Cloud, Link, Shulk, Ryu, & Robin are all impeccably, and successfully designed to be closely related to how they were in their games. And yet, EVERYTHING those characters got were leagues harder to implement than making Ganondorf resemble his canon self. In Smash Ultimate, they even gave Ryu an auto-turn mechanic like in Street Fighter.

Try again.

No one said Wrestler Bowser was canon. Heck, the most he's done wrestling-wise is punch people. If ANYTHING, it's been said that it fits his personality, which is entirely true. The dude goes about his entire day like he was some sort of WWE Superstar.

Also, who cares if a certain version of that character is your character? That doesn't make them canon. Melee treated Bowser like he was Godzilla. Pro-tip, he isn't Godzilla. Also, Smash 4 Link is canon to Twilight Princess. But Smash Ultimate isn't using Twilight Princess Link anymore, and personally I think if he was used again, it would've been overkill. If you can't accept that your favorite version of Link is being replaced by another person's favorite version of Link, that's your problem. There's no issue with canon on that point. It's all personal preference.

And just for the record, my favorite version of Link is Young Link. I lost him 10 years ago when Brawl came out. I got over it. But Ultimate has brought him back, so in a way I was rewarded for my patience.

Hey look, I can post SourceGaming articles too:
Wario, Part 1
Wario, Part 2

Had to address this because Smash Wario is actually accurate to his Japanese portrayal. Once I learned this, I stopped being upset about why Wario was treated the way he is in Smash. Western Wario wasn't Japanese Wario. There isn't a difference anymore because WarioWare synchronized the Wario's of both regions.

Since when was Roy depicted as a hot-blooded shounen hero in Smash? Is it because he uses fire? He uses Fire in The Binding Blade, too. Nothing about his personality comes out in his fighting style in Smash, so there's no contradiction. All we get out of him is that he will protect his loved ones no matter what. Big deal, Marth feels does the same in FE.

Have you read the Metroid manga? She's not a martial artist, but I can easily see why Sakurai made her a certain way. Though, I sort of wish he had gone with a more military-based design with ZSS as opposed a martial arts style, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless, in a vacuum (where you only consider ZSS by herself and not in comparison to normal Samus), ZSS is completely fine. In the Metroid series, she was specifically designed to be less capable than when she had her armor on.

Being less capable means that she had no real moves to borrow from. Therefore, Sakurai had to make up moves for her just like he did for Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Zelda, and so forth. It's only problematic when ZSS is compared to regular Samus. Why is regular Samus slower than ZSS? The answer: game balance. Although, Smash Ultimate may correct that. It's too soon to tell.

Impossible to please? As if. In this thread, people are fairly easy to please. Just do one thing, and it's not hard: base Ganondorf's moveset on his canon abilities. That's it. It has nothing to do with Roy, ZSS, Link, Bowser, Ness, Mario or whatever character you try to throw in to support your point.

The only reason why Ganondorf has such a heated discussion topic like this, and is quite widespread, is because NO ONE (other than you, it seems) WANTS HIM LIKE THIS.

Here's a challenge for you: go and watch a bunch of Smash Ultimate Reaction videos. Please count how many times someone points out that finally Ganondorf is using a sword (given that they actually notice it. Not everyone does I'm afraid). Heck, you could probably do a quick Google search of people requesting him to use a sword and you will end up with a lot of results.

Link's moves in Brawl were canon, but he still sucked. Your point? A character's moves being canon has nothing to do with how poorly they were balanced for gameplay. Ganondorf has never been particularly good in any Smash game he's been in. We just hope that he gets a canon moveset and is actually balanced well.

On the point of correlating a canon moveset with viability, I'd just like to state: Correlation does not imply causation. I'm a Ganondorf player. I want his canon moveset. If he's bad, fine. He's been bad the last two games, it hasn't stopped me from using him before and it won't now. I just want him to be given the same proper representation that all the Sm4sh characters got.

As someone who isn't a Samus player (I use her in Sm4sh once in a while, but I'm only decent), and I'm not even happy that Samus (who should be way more powerful than ZSS, canon-wise) has been poorly balanced two games in a row (and was considered bad in SSB64, to boot). If Samus was actually good at doing any of the things she does, everyone would be happy. I feel it's less of a canon issue, though, and more of a "why does this other version of Samus get all the attention and good balancing and the one I use doesn't?" There is a strange bias towards ZSS in both Brawl and Sm4sh (Zelda's been in Sheik's shadow since Melee), and we're hoping Ultimate corrects that.

Also, no one likes poor game balance so we hope they stay clear of that, REGARDLESS of who it's for.

That would be cool if he were so confident in his power than he feels he could take you out unarmed. But then once he realizes how screwed he is, he arms up with blades, a trident, or magical prowess. Heck, if he pulled out his entire arsenal, that'd be cool.

Making many assumptions here. You don't know how the Triforce of Power works. Also, using Magic or a Sword isn't a sign of cowardice. At that rate, Link ought to be charging in with nothing but his fists because he's not a coward who hides behind swords. The Triforce of Courage demands it!

Your own logic defeats itself, I'm afraid.

Name one that isn't F-Zero where the canon was directly influenced by Smash. And no, Ganondorf punching in TWW or TP does not count either.

Why would she bash someone with that? It's like asking why Link didn't throw his Ocarina at people. Aside from Villager using regular tools as weapons, Sheik's Harp isn't a weapon. It has no real combat capabilities as the songs don't work like that. If you want the Harp as a weapon, play Hyrule Warriors. The taunt thing is a valid point, however, it isn't one new to me. Back when Brawl first revealed that each character had 3 taunts, I thought for sure the the harp would be one of Sheik's.

Needless to say, it wasn't. Link never pulled an instrument out for any one his taunts either. (SSB64 and Melee. Seriously, what the heck are those taunts?)

But do you know what WAS used in a taunt? Ganondorf's sword! Ooh, we just went full circle, son!

I liked the part where you casually overlooked Demise because it would hurt your argument. You know, Demise? Ganondorf's Progenitor?

He used a sword too, you know. His sword was also Ghirahim. Ghirahim was made of metal. Fun fact, metal blocks metal. As Rizen and _Ganondorf_ already pointed out.

Another way to counter your point about Ghirahim: he stopped using his hands when he got serious. So even Ghirahim pulled out his own blades when he really wanted to kill his foe... that sounds an awful lot like what I've shown to be the case with Ganondorf.
Yeah, let's just wait and see how the fans react if that new shoulder bash turns out to be less useful than his old tripper, hm?

Demise also punches Link in his fight. But no one talks about him when referring to Ganon canon because regardless of being his ancestor Demise is not Ganondorf. He sure as hell was not considered when making OOT, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess because Skyward Sword was not a thing during those game's releases.

You say Ganondorf would never use only his fists in a serious fight. And you're probably right. Good thing Smash isn't that. I don't know about you, but a fight that ends with the loser applauding for the victor doesn't seem particularly high in stakes. Ganondorf doesn't use his full magical prowess here because he thinks it would be boring & effortless if he did.

And for the record Samus in 4 is actually quite decent now. Zero Suit Samus just has the good fortune of her archetype being proven top tier material in Smash 1v1s.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Yeah, let's just wait and see how the fans react if that new shoulder bash turns out to be less useful than his old tripper, hm?
Effectiveness has nothing to do with it. It's a beloved signature move finally being re-used by its original character. If it launches like any other dash attack then hopefully it can kill at higher percents. Otherwise, who cares? We're still going to use it.

Demise also punches Link in his fight. But no one talks about him when referring to Ganon canon because regardless of being his ancestor Demise is not Ganondorf. He sure as hell was not considered when making OOT, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess because Skyward Sword was not a thing during those game's releases.

Of course Skyward Sword was not a thing during those games, yet Quillion still brought up Ghirahim despite his lack of relevance. Did you even read the quoted post? I merely used Demise as a counter-argument to the point he brought Ghirahim up for.

You say Ganondorf would never use only his fists in a serious fight. And you're probably right. Good thing Smash isn't that. I don't know about you, but a fight that ends with the loser applauding for the victor doesn't seem particularly high in stakes. Ganondorf doesn't use his full magical prowess here because he thinks it would be boring & effortless if he did.
And who exactly is the judge for Smash not being a serious fight? You? Last I checked every other character is taking it seriously, including Ridley. Using Smash lore, if Ganondorf didn't take it seriously, he'd get wrecked at every turn. He's not immune to damage here, and he knows it. He has to fight smart and seriously if he is to succeed in the Smash world, lest he let creatures like Jigglypuff beat him.

Also, examine this moment from The Wind Waker here:

Link is completely helpless against Ganondorf in this scenario. The most non-serious threat Ganondorf has faced. Sure, he bats him away with his hand at first. But he still proceeds to draw his sword. What does that tell you? Even with an extreme advantage in battle, Ganondorf drew his blade. Why didn't he punch him to death? Because Ganondorf doesn't punch people to kill them.

In Smash the whole goal is to kill the enemy. Clearly, a serious fight that requires full-strength. It's like telling someone to swat a fly with their hands despite them having a fly swatter. How absurd.

And for the record Samus in 4 is actually quite decent now. Zero Suit Samus just has the good fortune of her archetype being proven top tier material in Smash 1v1s.
Other than the fact that both of her missiles can't kill at percentages higher than 200, her fsmash hitboxes are terrible, up-smash often fails to work, jab can't connect into itself, no kill throws, average speed, average strength, too slow in the air to have decent air combos, and her utilt is a kill move yet the meteor effect makes it easy to survive.

I don't need Samus to be top-tier, I need Samus to function properly. If a character has something they can use in their kit, it should be worth using. She should be good at what she does. Honestly, Mii Gunner is a better Samus than Samus. Mii Gunner has a bunch of attacks that mirror Samus' almost perfectly, but the Gunner's moves are better. Upsmash actually connects, missiles have incredible turning power, bombs have a terrifying launch rate.

In a vacuum, maybe Samus is good enough. But Smash isn't a vacuum.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, examine this moment from The Wind Waker here:

[/QUOTE]
Ganon also back hands Zelda in the final battle, oops spoilers, but I take that as a case of Nintendo wanted WW to be kid friendly. It's also why Ganon turns to stone after being stabbed in the face.

In terms of actual close combat fighting, Ganon always has a sword or trident. Although he has been know to hurl energy balls without one.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I found this cool highlight video for Ganondorf from various Ultimate demo plays.
I'm honestly really excited for Smash Ultimate Ganon based on how much faster he is now and the powerful long reaching smashes. But I still hope they buff him more ;)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Warlag punch could actually have a use besides punishing shield breaks now that it has good armor frames. It's like Charizard's former rocksmash (RIP) and can cover landings.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly if you get hit with WLP, you should just die.

Not even get knocked back, just explode right then and there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I found this cool highlight video for Ganondorf from various Ultimate demo plays.
I'm honestly really excited for Smash Ultimate Ganon based on how much faster he is now and the powerful long reaching smashes. But I still hope they buff him more ;)

Wait a minute! Does the dodge staling mechanic apply to tech rolls too? How else did Ganondorf get that dtilt KO on Inkling even though she teched away?

I think Ganondorf is going to be terrifying on stages with low platforms. Characters who aren't good at landing can get volcano kicked on them thanks to it's increased vertical range, so they either block it and die to Warlock Punch following the shield break, or die just from getting hit by it. Otherwise, he has quicker options to beat shields on platforms with Dark Dive which is now a solid kill move, or jump and choke when it isn't killing time (better jumpsquat makes it less reactable), and once they're conditioned not to shield you can uair to your heart's content.

Edit: I really cannot stress how much it irritates me that no one is trying to use Dark Dive offensively, as if everyone is conditioned to still believe it's at Smash 4 power. Also worth considering is how opponents could use a directional airdodge to avoid the utilt under platforms, but it's so laggy they'll lose the punish opportunity, or even get punished if they do it the wrong way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom