• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A game winning sonic strategy?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Basically the move a lot of people may know: You can continually press b to use homing attack under a stage and you will keep hitting the stage, then keep using it and you can stay there forever...if you wanted to...couldnt you just get someone down a stock, then do that until the match is over? It doesnt matter if the match is 8 mins...if your at a tournament and you want to win the cash....you might want to do this(besides it being a pretty noob/cheap tactic)

Tenki

Smash Hero
aren't there disqualifications for stalling too long? @.@;

Trillion

Smash Ace
i dont know for sure, but i think stalling in a character specific sort of way is the only kind outlawed at tourneys. Like in melee, using Jiggly's rising pound below a stage forever was outlawed because it was impossible to combat, but simply taking marth and running away doesnt seem like it should be outlawed, I mean it's not like it would be impossible to ever hit him or anything. But yeah regardless of what the actual rule on stalling is, this would be an outlawed stall.

Tenki

Smash Hero
i dont know for sure, but i think stalling in a character specific sort of way is the only kind outlawed at tourneys. Like in melee, using Jiggly's rising pound below a stage forever was outlawed because it was impossible to combat, but simply taking marth and running away doesnt seem like it should be outlawed, I mean it's not like it would be impossible to ever hit him or anything. But yeah regardless of what the actual rule on stalling is, this would be an outlawed stall.
So like, I never knew that Jigglypuff's pound could be aimed up or down in Melee o_o;

BUT WAIT...!

...but simply taking Sonic and running away doesnt seem like it should be outlawed, I mean it's not like it would be impossible to ever hit him or anything.
fixed.

discuss.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Basically the move a lot of people may know: You can continually press b to use homing attack under a stage and you will keep hitting the stage, then keep using it and you can stay there forever...if you wanted to...couldnt you just get someone down a stock, then do that until the match is over? It doesnt matter if the match is 8 mins...if your at a tournament and you want to win the cash....you might want to do this(besides it being a pretty noob/cheap tactic)
Jumping far enough away from Sonic screws up his homing attack under the stage and he'll plunge to his death.

Umby

Smash Master
Jumping far enough away from Sonic screws up his homing attack under the stage and he'll plunge to his death.
your opponent can also just grab the ledge , and it's bye bye sonic
False and False. The way the real Homing stall works is that he'll rise up and hit the stage, regardless of whether you're in an invincible state or not. Try it on the Wifi practice stage.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
onlly scrub who can finish the job would attempt to do some thing that cowardly

why would you even bring that up, stalling infinately is ALWAYS BANNED, rising pound, peach bomber, homing attk, all infinate stalls all banned,

....nubcakelet

FrostByte

Smash Lord
This isn't a true stall. You're at the mercy of your opponent, who can lead you off the stage however they like and score a free hit.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
is tenki the first person other myself to realize that sonic is the master of avoiding hits?

I actually did the stall amidst tournament players, and they immidiately called me out and warned me that such tactics wouldnt be legal in tournament play.... yet its still legal for metaknight to repeatedly press b and spam tornado..

and its also lega in tournaments for people to infinate grab everyone...

personally. I see it like people are using their own characters advantage while taking away sonic's advantages... this is a common human thing.. to outlaw things that they cant beat while still keeping their own cheap tricks...

it should be anything goes, or they neeed to outlaw all cheap bs.. such as infinate grabs, which are way freakin the hell cheaper than sonics so called stall. (and for the record, frostbyte is exactly right... its VERY easy to get sonic out of this stall, in fact all the opponent has to do is move to the right spot so sonic cant control his HA)

/end r4ze r4nt

Tenki

Smash Hero
This isn't a true stall. You're at the mercy of your opponent, who can lead you off the stage however they like and score a free hit.
is tenki the first person other myself to realize that sonic is the master of avoiding hits?
tenki realized no such delusion :o

I actually did the stall amidst tournament players, and they immidiately called me out and warned me that such tactics wouldnt be legal in tournament play.... yet its still legal for metaknight to repeatedly press b and spam tornado..

personally. I see it like people are using their own characters advantage while taking away sonic's advantages... this is a common human thing.. to outlaw things that they cant beat while still keeping their own cheap tricks...

it should be anything goes, or they neeed to outlaw all cheap bs.. such as infinate grabs, which are way freakin the hell cheaper than sonics so called stall. (and for the record, frostbyte is exactly right... its VERY easy to get sonic out of this stall, in fact all the opponent has to do is move to the right spot so sonic cant control his HA)

/end r4ze r4nt
Stalls are boring and waste people's time. At least MK's tornado has its vulnerabilities, inf. grabs at least end in a finishing move quickly (...lol), and some places have them banned (or with 3 grab limitations) as well. I think stalling has a certain time limit that you're not allowed to stall for, so like.. 30 seconds or so might be fine, but 4 minutes out of the game wasted by Homing Attack is... stupid.

I'm still not exactly sure that HA necessarily homes in toward people even if you run into a wall. Why does being 'caught' by a moving platform force you to stall on the floor instead of going upwards and chasing after your target? Why does using HA charged into a ceiling stick to the ceiling when your opponent is under you?

._.;

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Well, when me and my friends play a game.. we play by the rules that are in the game, we don't make up our own. If a character uses somthing cheap and wins, then the option to use that character is always there for everyone.

when sum1 is standing near the right edge of FD, and sonic tries to stall under the right lip, it doesent work.

If i remember correctly, it pushes sonic too far from the liip to reactivate HA and hit into the lip again.

I'll test it out today and see if i can come up with an answer to "why" it works the way it does.

Tenki

Smash Hero
oh, I was thinking more 'under the level' stall. If you're close to the edge like that, then yeah. lol.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think it gives Sonic a bad rap if you use that to stall rather than recover. Just don't do it.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
...I was under the impression that yes, Sonic's homing stall could be countered by the opponent moving away. Yes, it works on the Wifi training ground but I tried using it against my friends on FD for fun, and we found out that if the opponent runs far/jumps high enough away from Sonic, Sonic will plummet to his death. ._.

Of course, confirmation would be nice.

Tenki

Smash Hero
...I was under the impression that yes, Sonic's homing stall could be countered by the opponent moving away. Yes, it works on the Wifi training ground but I tried using it against my friends on FD for fun, and we found out that if the opponent runs far/jumps high enough away from Sonic, Sonic will plummet to his death. ._.

Of course, confirmation would be nice.
Homing stall only works if one of these two cases happen:
1) A platform moves upwards and into you while you're charging the HA (eg, Frigate Orpheon, trees in Onett, Lylat cruise). Sonic will cling to the platform as it moves and do a bounce off of it, even if your opponent is above you.
2) Sonic runs into a ceiling as he's charging HA. This makes you cling to the ceiling (though I'm not sure what affects which direction you bounce), regardless of if the opponent is under you or whatever.

Make sure that you're letting HA charge and actually run into the ceiling. More often than note, if you cancel it, you cancel it before it touches the ceiling and it acts like a normal HA.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
2) Sonic runs into a ceiling as he's charging HA. This makes you cling to the ceiling (though I'm not sure what affects which direction you bounce), regardless of if the opponent is under you or whatever.

Make sure that you're letting HA charge and actually run into the ceiling. More often than note, if you cancel it, you cancel it before it touches the ceiling and it acts like a normal HA.
Hm. So by "canceling" it, what do you mean? I interpreted it as cutting the charge time in half by mashing B again. :confused:

So to land a "successful" homing stall you let Sonic hit the ceiling during the charging portion (where he rises up) to successfully land it? And this is unaffected by the opponent moving away?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hm. So by "canceling" it, what do you mean? I interpreted it as cutting the charge time in half by mashing B again. :lick:

So to land a "successful" homing stall you let Sonic hit the ceiling during the charging portion (where he rises up) to successfully land it? And this is unaffected by the opponent moving away?
Yes.
10minutestall

Trillion

Smash Ace
So like, I never knew that Jigglypuff's pound could be aimed up or down in Melee o_o;

BUT WAIT...!

fixed.

discuss.

I MEANT to say Marth, where I said Marth because I was referencing melee specifically at that point. I wasn't ready to apply that idea to Sonic because in truth he probably is rather hard to catch, but on most stages that are going to be tournament legal I suspect that even Sonic can only run for so long before taking a hit.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Whenever Sonic bounces off of a ceiling doing HA, he either goes slightly forward, or toward the opponent he was homing onto.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Nope it doesn't work that way.
As long as Sonic's homing Attack is pressing against the ceiling before the attack occurs he will continously smack against it. The only way he will fall to his death is if he somehow screws it up or if you dgo down there and having the attack target you.

Staling is simply stalling. Basically anything that lets you stall in a place out of the way foran opponent can be considered stalling. Luigi ladder for example, you can hit an opponent that doesn't stop it from being illegal. Neither does Peach bombing the wall yet they are considered illegal stall tactics.
Being able to hit the opponent doesn't matter, especially since one can place themselves out of the way of the opponent and make it that much more difficult..

Whenever Sonic bounces off of a ceiling doing HA, he either goes slightly forward, or toward the opponent he was homing onto.
Not really. While he does targe the opponent the direction in which he moves is influenced but only if it is a strong one.
For example if the opponent is still within HA range but is to the far right once Sonic bounces off the ceiling the momentum pushes him to the opponent However it can also bounce him to the left for some odd reason.

??
What do you mean Tenki the HA doesn't behave any differently. The attack box covers the entire ball. So when you're rubbing against the ceiling its the first thing you hit.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
....... Why would this even be a viable strategy? Not only is this sort of thing banned, but it's pretty stupid to do considering the risk you put yourself in.

/end r4ze r4nt
You can hit MK out of it you know. Only MK noobs would spam that anyway. However with this, it can be impossible to get Sonic to stop.

This thread fails and will now be about the Sonic Comics.

So did anyone read the Sonic and Tails: Friends No More comic yet? I know I did.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ no, but my friend did :[

What do you mean Tenki the HA doesn't behave any differently. The attack box covers the entire ball. So when you're rubbing against the ceiling its the first thing you hit.
I meant releasing Homing Attack early- more often than not, if you release it early, you will release it before you run into the ceiling. I mean yeah, it's possible to do a short HA and still rub against the ceiling, but usually, it'll trigger too early and you'll either home in on your opponent or go down at 45 degs.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
it's ez 2 stop...
if ur enemy is out of range sonic will shoot down th his death...
so they jump or walk away from ur area, u die!

Umby

Smash Master
it's ez 2 stop...
if ur enemy is out of range sonic will shoot down th his death...
so they jump or walk away from ur area, u die!
I've already proven this to be false, if you haven't read.

Tenki's also provided technical evidence, if you haven't read.

Top Bottom