• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Comparison of Top Players Over the Years: (2009-2012)

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
After looking through Juggleguy's Year in Reviews something spiked my curiosity. Excluding Armada (due to the fact he has attended a lot less tournaments than the other 4), I wanted to compare the results for the four top players, Dr, PeePee, Mew2King, Mango, and Hungrybox, starting with Revival of Melee and ending with Genesis. I compiled all their placings and averaged them, as well the tournament wins. This is the list of tournaments used, with each player not being present in 3 of them (as far as I know):

Rom 1-4
Genesis 1/2
Apex 2010/2012
Pound 4/5
Tipped Off 4/5
Winter Game Fest VI
Zenith/Zenith 2012
Kings of Cali
SMYM 10

Here are the results:

Mango: Average place 5.3 (excluding the 17th and 25th place finishes at Pound V and Apex 2010 he has a 2.45 average!) Wins 5

Dr.PeePee: Average place 3 (Exact round number) Wins 5

Hungrybox: Average place 2.92 (Surpised?) Wins 4

Mew2King: Average place 3.3 (5 5th place finishes) Wins 0

If you see anything glaringly wrong with the tournaments chosen or want to point out any unique circumstances please do. I'm open for suggestions.

An edit resulted in the removal of Winterfest and Impulse in favor of Tipped Off 4, SMYM 10, and Zenith

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
That turned out to be wrong anyway. I'm saying Mango finished 17th at Pound V which even if excluded from the data as well as Hungrybox's 3rd place finish Hungrybox would still have the better average placing, which was wrong anyway. Oops

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Winterfest and Impulse probably shouldn't be included. Part of the consistency in placing top 3 or top 5 or whatever includes the ability to fend off dangerous challengers below you, and there really weren't any at either of those tourneys that posed a threat to any of the big four.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Winterfest and Impulse probably shouldn't be included. Part of the consistency in placing top 3 or top 5 or whatever includes the ability to fend off dangerous challengers below you, and there really weren't any at either of those tourneys that posed a threat to any of the big four.
KK, Unknown, Kage and Sfat were all at Impulse

maybe some others that I'm forgetting

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
Removing Winterfest would be hard because PP wasn't there and I'd have to reconfigure the tournament list, but if anyone could replace it with a better tournament where everyone was present but PP I could easily replace it. I also intend to keep this up to date for future tournaments. Thanks for the suggestions though, and in both cases they all finished in order 1-4 or 1-3.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
You really can't count Apex 2010 or Pound V for Mango. I'm not a Mango fan, but he clearly wasn't trying at those tournies.

edit: nvrmnd

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
If you see anything glaringly wrong with the tournaments chosen or want to point out any unique circumstances please do. I'm open for suggestions.
The thing I find wrong is that Armada isn't in this list at all and none of the big international tournaments from Europe are even considered a part of this list If they were then you'd know Armada has competed in just as many big events as the rest of them. I mean..Winterfest?.... come on...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
The thing I find wrong is that Armada isn't in this list at all and none of the big international tournaments from Europe are even considered a part of this list If they were then you'd know Armada has competed in just as many big events as the rest of them. I mean..Winterfest?.... come on...
I think the point is to compare how the top do at the same tournaments, given how few tournaments Armada is in conjunction with the rest of the top players it's difficult to include him.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
As shown earlier he has a 2.0 average in the tournaments included in the list and the stat for mango, (having already excluded Apex 2010 from the list because he was Scorpion Master) would put him at 2.45 if I remember correctly.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ive always gotten 5th at the nationals while i play brawl at the same time, although i have one of the highest maybe the highest consistencies against the non-top 4. Falco/puff/ICs is usually what takes me out 90% of the time. i never win close sets vs mango/pp/hbox/armada i always choke it away

Fletch

Smash Master
ive always gotten 5th at the nationals while i play brawl at the same time, although i have one of the highest maybe the highest consistencies against the non-top 4. Falco/puff/ICs is usually what takes me out 90% of the time. i never win close sets vs mango/pp/hbox/armada i always choke it away
Solution: Quit Brawl. Wouldn't being the best again be better than being really damn good at two games?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
If you're (as you should be) using objective data, Javi's only logical position is fourth. However, one tournament is an insufficient source point, so people should just accept that, until Apex 2013, he is unrankable.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Mang0 usually goes Fox against floaties and Falco vs. fast fallers

Just based on that I'd say Fox, but his Falco is mad good against floaties anyways, so he might go Falco.

Landry

Smash Ace
It'd be interesting to see him go Puff, but I doubt it will happen. It seems like he wants to bring down Armada with a space animal.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Any match involving both a time-out and Mango would be hilarious.

Of course he'd go aggro Puff though and get pooped on.

:awesome:

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
In friendlies with M2K to let him get some puff practice to be able to beat Hbox.

In tournament, only in teams sometimes to remind Hbox that Mang0s puff is still better xD.

Top Bottom