• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Zoom would be a better up special.
I think I meant Zoom. :( When I switch between FF and DQ, I tend to mix some things up. :p

But yeah, I like the idea.
And I love the monsters from the DQ universe. I'd be happy if we got a DQ Adventure Mode level full of them, even if we get no character to represent the series

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Sign me up. I seriously want an MK character in Smash Bros. Ed Boon needs to approach this man Sakurai some day before Smash 5 is announced because I think we can all agree that an MK character would never win a Smash Ballot.

Me, you and your friend might be the very small minority that want this to happen. Gen 1 Mortal Kombat will pretty much be represented. Mortal Kombat certainly has a legacy and stirred up a good ****storm from mainstream media in the 90's because of the gore, violence, and fatalities were too real, as well as the kiddies being interested in the game. Majority of the MK games released on Nintendo consoles so that's a plus. MK also introduced having a different control scheme and a button for blocking attacks which was different considering all of the fighting games people were playing in the 90's that didn't have this except Smash Bros.

Considering we've had Solid Snake in Smash Bros, which was from an M rated franchise involving war and murder then having an MK character in Smash Bros wouldn't be that out of place. Netherrealm Studios would most likely push Scorpion because Ed Boon loves him. The only problem is I don't see his spear move working in Smash Bros without it going into the character. Sakurai showcasing the names of Scorpion's moves also won't work out for Nintendo and Sakurai. I could see Sakurai going with either Raiden, Liu Kang or Sub-Zero because they have a more "friendly" character design (Scorpion can take off his face revealing his 2spooky skeleton head and breath fire on you).

The trailer would fit pretty well with the Smash universe because there are different Realms in MK. The beginning of the trailer could have the Smash Ball logo in the center with fire at the bottom. The logo starts to spin slowly and shows the dragon logo on the back. After the dragon logo you hear the Gong sound effect. Raiden, Liu Kang, or any other qualified MK character for smash could go through a portal (the one's from Subspace Emissary) and into Smash Bros challenging everyone to a fight. An MK character could even the Aggressor mechanic in smash bros, making them fight like Turbo mode in Project M while buffing their strength until the Aggressor meter runs out. Friendship would probably end up being mixed in a final smash. It seems appropriate and something Sakurai would do.
I feel as if SubZero would be the best choice. Also imagine this the smash logo appears, thunder ripples thru a stormy sky you see the MK logo, suddenly it freezes and breaks open. Subzero appears

SUBZERO FREEZES THE COMPETITION

Oh and the Portal would be an awesome stage to go alongside him.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think Scorpion is the MK mascot.

We see him in Injustice and he's part of NetherRealm's logo.

Scorpion's definetly the mascot. Not Sub-Zero.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I feel as if SubZero would be the best choice. Also imagine this the smash logo appears, thunder ripples thru a stormy sky you see the MK logo, suddenly it freezes and breaks open. Subzero appears

SUBZERO FREEZES THE COMPETITION

Oh and the Portal would be an awesome stage to go alongside him.
Pretty sure it'd be Scorpion if it ever happened.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I grew up on MK, so im a huge fan. MK Deception was my life when I was like in 7-8th grade lol.....still kind of is

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Sorry, a little late again but my favorite FF class is between Paladin and Red Mage. What class is Cloud? Lol

Paladin because it's always been one of the best front line fighters in parties. Nothing like being able to wear the best armors, bearing sword and shield, AND having the ability to use decent white magics. I'll probably be rocking this class in FF Explorers.

Red Mage is in there as a favorite too for its versitility. Although, in every FF they seem to be extremely useful until about half-way through the games then become pretty meh afterwards. I'm not sure what weapon they use in Explorers but I might use them if the weapon isn't something stupid.
ANYwho, does anyone here play FFXIV?
I used to when it first came out long ago but I couldn't get into it. It's definitely good but I think the subscription is what drove me away.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
If a Mortal Kombat character had a chance of getting in Smash, then it would more then likely be Scorpion. If you think other wise let me ask you this. Give me a quote from Mortal Kombat that is more Iconic than this (Besides the announcers calls)

This is a quote most gamers have heard of. Not to mention Scorpion already has a kind of thought out move set if he were to get in to Super Smash bros. He could easily scream GET OVER HERE! when he grabs his opponents or it can even be a projectilr.

But from how gruesome that series is, I doubt we will ever see a MK character in Smash if they want to keep that E+10 rating.

The closes thing we could get is a Mii costume and that's it.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
If a Mortal Kombat character had a chance of getting in Smash, then it would more then likely be Scorpion. If you think other wise let me ask you this. Give me a quote from Mortal Kombat that is more Iconic than this (Besides the announcers calls)

This is a quote most gamers have heard of. Not to mention Scorpion already has a kind of thought out move set if he were to get in to Super Smash bros. He could easily scream GET OVER HERE! when he grabs his opponents or it can even be a projectilr.

But from how gruesome that series is, I doubt we will ever see a MK character in Smash if they want to keep that E+10 rating.
tbh once you take away the blood, I honestly see no reason as to why Scorpion is anymore mature than Ryu tbh

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Just my two cents, but the main reason I didn't want Snake in Smash is the fact that his series is entirely rated M.
To be honest? Final Fantasy VII was really pushing the envelope as far as becoming an M rated game. To this day it's still probably the grittiest, darkest in the series. Murder everywhere, gore and massacres, a brothel/gentlemen's club, lots of swearing (most of it being censored of course), underage nonconsensual Don Corneo shenanigans, list goes on. The graphics being the way they were probably saved it from a more harsh rating. I mean, Final Fantasy VIII and IX didn't dare to get that daring IMO.

Which makes me wonder how they're going to handle the remake... Maybe they should talk to Arc System Works for their work with BlazBlue. They get away with so much stuff that's borderlining erotic but keep a T rating.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
You know what I just realized? That when Cloud's amiibo gets released, not only does he become a fighter, but we could also get a Mii outfit in MK8 , a Yoshi pattern based on Cloud in Wooly World, and of course, an 8-bit sprite of Cloud in Mario Maker! :eek:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
To be honest? Final Fantasy VII was really pushing the envelope as far as becoming an M rated game. To this day it's still probably the grittiest, darkest in the series. Murder everywhere, gore and massacres, a brothel/gentlemen's club, lots of swearing (most of it being censored of course), underage nonconsensual Don Corneo shenanigans, list goes on. The graphics being the way they were probably saved it from a more harsh rating. I mean, Final Fantasy VIII and IX didn't dare to get that daring IMO.
So much this, holy cow. Like in the first 15 minutes of the game, congrats, it's implied that you helped kill and/or displace quite a few people by bombing that reactor. That alone should have made you blink a few times. 6 is the only other FF I can think of that edges close to 7 in that regard, but that's mostly because of the strife and discord sown by Kefka (seriously dude, poisoning a well AND implementing a scorched earth policy? For fun?). Even then, that's nothing compared to 7. Genocide, forced genetic experimentation, mass murder...I mean, sheesh. 7 throws all of that **** at you and more.

And MGS, sure, it's M-rated, and rightfully so. The one thing Kojima never lets you forget throughout your time playing those games, however, is the fact that you are playing a game. This ranges from the levity injected by immersion-breaking outfits and in-game shenanigans to the ****ing insane, fourth-wall breaking instances of script/dialogue/set-pieces. It's extremely self-aware. Really, the ruse is how sophisticated and mature and dark Metal Gear is, or is supposed to be. At the heart of it all, it's a video game, and a very well put-together one at that.

I think that's why it was probably no stretch of the imagination for Sakurai to put Snake in his game, and for Kojima to give his stamp of approval, aside from the mutual respect and friendship. He's a video game character first and foremost; everything else is kinda window-dressing.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802
Almost 2 weeks late to the party but I finally decided to enter the bar. I'm really excited for Cloud to come to Smash even if I haven't played much Final Fantasy. He looks like alot of fun so I'll definitely be maining.
I played the free trial and enjoyed it but having to buy the subscription aswell as buying the actual game made me lose interest in getting it anytime soon

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Greeting Everyone. I'm Abid (tagname AN(M)ist, not to be confused with animist), one of the Ike mains and a longtime admirer of Cloud. I'm planning on having Cloud right alongside Ike as my character of choice when playing smash so I figured now is the good time to make an entry to the Cloud forum.

Hope I get to know the Cloud mains here and learn with everyone about Cloud and his strengths and weaknesses in smash and hopefully not get caught in a raging debate between CloudXTifa and CloudXAerith as some FF7 threads tend to end up being.

Irnkman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Irnkman
I played for several months, from the beginning of 2015 til about June. Got a Warrior to 60, started working on Dark Knight. It was fun, but the grind and time required is pretty crazy, I haven't had time to dedicate to it since the semester started.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
CloudxAerith?
I didn't know people shipped him with dead people :troll:
Yes, well these ARE the same people that believed there was some super-secret method to keeping her alive.

I don't play FF but from what I've played of Bravely Default I'd go with Dark Knight as my favourite. Badass design and moves (which lead to silliness with Spiritmaster).

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
So much this, holy cow. Like in the first 15 minutes of the game, congrats, it's implied that you helped kill and/or displace quite a few people by bombing that reactor. That alone should have made you blink a few times. 6 is the only other FF I can think of that edges close to 7 in that regard, but that's mostly because of the strife and discord sown by Kefka (seriously dude, poisoning a well AND implementing a scorched earth policy? For fun?). Even then, that's nothing compared to 7. Genocide, forced genetic experimentation, mass murder...I mean, sheesh. 7 throws all of that **** at you and more.
Playing FFVII as a teenager was a vastly different experience when compared to playing it as an adult. The gravity and weight of the **** you do and see in that game is decidedly darker than other games in the series, barring Kefka and his brand of crazy.

FFVII dances a very fine line between a Teen and Mature rating. The only thing preventing it from earning an M was likely the graphics (they couldn't realistically render blood and gore in-real time with their models, so they just went bloodless aside from a handful pre-rendered environments) and it was a business decision to ensure they could appeal to as broad of an audience as possible. They touch upon a lot of things (human trafficking, genocide, genetic experimentation on humans and animals, consumer culture, etc.) but they explore those themes just enough before it becomes MGS or Bloodborne bleak.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal and Kuraudo Kuraudo EDIT: Hanku Hirru Hanku Hirru now too.
You make excellent points. VII was most definitely more "mature" than previous entries. That's part of why it's so good.
But I do have to point out that adult CONTENT does not necessarily equate to adult THEMES (sure, Saints Row is only for adults, but it's anything but mature, if that makes sense). Following the trail of blood in Shinra HQ and the death of you-know-who are certainly dark, but it was still done tastefully. Contrast that with the scene in MGS where Grey Fox hacks apart the scientists or the ultraviolence of Revengeance.
As far as Don Corneo is concerned, he was more Master Roshi-esque "comedy" than anything. Final Fantasy has always been done in a way that everyone teen and up can enjoy it, barring Type-0.
So yeah, not only is subject matter important, but also the way it's depicted.

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
JesseMcCloud JesseMcCloud -- I definitely see your point regarding the inclusion of characters hailing from M-rated titles. Smash is light-hearted fun, regardless of the motivations of both good and evil characters gracing the roster. It pays homage to the worlds in which these characters inhabit and the characters themselves; most of which are colorful, lively, and light-hearted. When gritty, realistic characters are tossed into the mix, they certainly stick out like a sore thumb; however, I think that shouldn't bar them from being a playable considering how iconic some of these characters are within the realm of gaming.

Regardless of my perspective, I can respect yours.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
JesseMcCloud JesseMcCloud -- I definitely see your point regarding the inclusion of characters hailing from M-rated titles. Smash is light-hearted fun, regardless of the motivations of both good and evil characters gracing the roster. It pays homage to the worlds in which these characters inhabit and the characters themselves; most of which are colorful, lively, and light-hearted. When gritty, realistic characters are tossed into the mix, they certainly stick out like a sore thumb; however, I think that shouldn't bar them from being a playable considering how iconic some of these characters are within the realm of gaming.

Regardless of my perspective, I can respect yours.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Look how badly Snake was neutered for Smash. He couldn't smoke, no guns; I'm surprised he kept his neck-cracking animation.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Snake still fit into the game well. If he returned (please god please) he would still fit in.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
He got to shoot his guns and choke out ******* -- the American dream. I'd assert Snake was livin' it up in Smash.

Top Bottom