• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
With so many Smash Run enemies, they have the potential to make one really epic Adventure Mode that surpasses Melee's.

For series where there aren't enemies, they could either include old SSE enemies, or in the case of Fire Emblem, just hazards and a final battle in the colisseum.

Which got me thinking.. If FF(7) were to have a Smash Run / Adventure Mode enemy, which would you choose?

I'd probably choose one of the more iconic FF monsters, like Bomb, Behemoth, Tornberry, Cactuar or Malboro.
(Cactuar would automatically inflict 100% damage, then run away) xD
Had this idea once that some Risen from Awakening could make decent Smash Run enemies...Like the Entombed for example...or even Fighter, Lancer and Myrmidon Risen units covering axes, lances and swords...

Final Fantasy has a crapton of potential...even Chocobos and Mogs could even make for decent Smash Run enemies...

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That looks so real. Its kind of scary how he is just staring at me.
Without any context, (Naked) Snake would probably go to jail because of this incriminating image. :p

In general, Kojima Productions is really good with facial animation and facial features.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Alright, guys, what do you think the actual release date for Cloud will be?
I'm putting my money on Dec. 3rd. It just feels right to me.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I wish Dec. 3rd but I don't think we'll be lucky enough to swing giant swords that early.

When is that Direct coming? Is that announced yet?

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
They haven't even announced the Direct date, but I do think Cloud will come out on the same day as the Direct.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I'm getting more and more impatient guessing how Cloud's gonna do against everyone. He seems like he has a pretty solid neutral but I don't know.

Suspense is killing me!!!

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
Based on inferred Frame Data and his moveset covering most his bases, aswell as having a projectile Answer and Counter, my hypothesized guess is Mid to High-Mid Tier. might crack Top 20, that would be fantastic! ^^

Morbi

Scavenger
All very good points...however each point is moot because they are both in the game...or at least going to be

What does it matter if Cloud is more deserving or if Pac-Man is? It's not like one has gotten in over the other or that they are both competing to get in, both have gotten a spot on the roster...
I could say Mario is more deserving than Marth...but since both are still playable in the game it really doesn't matter all that much to begin with...

Let's just appreciate the fact that this is probably the only the time that both Pac-Man and Cloud will be featured in the same game...Both are gaming icons in their own right, both deserve a spot on the roster...

----

Also why are people still thinking that Cloud won the Ballot? He was revealed around one month after the ballot closed, and based on what we saw in the trailer there was waaaaay more than a month's worth of work that went into both him and the Midgar stage...Since E3 Sakurai had plenty of time to work on him during the summer in addition to one or two other characters which we may likely see come this December...If it was a Mewtwo type reveal with just a simple model shown then I can see that being the case, but since he appears almost 100% complete I still see no reason to think that he was chosen from the ballot...especially since hardly anyone even talked about him for Smash...
I was just humoring a question with my opinion. It does not truly matter and I am glad that Pac-Man is in the game for what it is worth, he made history as well. I was merely providing discussion for the sake of discussion. I am just excited about Cloud and I believe he is my personal favorite third-party character in the game. I am one of those Nintendo purists that do not play third-party characters, or even want them to an extent; however, Cloud has captured my heart. I just felt like posting the position in favor of him because most people probably believe that Pac-Man is the more worthy of the two. I am glad that both are here and here to stay!

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
Source? Because I haven't heard anything about this and it's possible that you're getting confused by the pre-Luroyu slots that came with Mewtwo's release (five, three of which went to Luroyu, one to Cloud, and the last currently unknown by likely to be known next month).
Sorry cant find the source atm with the pic and files. But if there's only one more slot left, i wonder who would be.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
But there is something we have to keep in mind. We can talk about how we are all gonna main Cloud and how top tier until our mouths fall off, but lets be honest here, who here is really gonna stick with Cloud once he is released?

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
RebelXII RebelXII I don't think I could ditch Cloud even if he did suck.

... of course, I am a veteran Link main so I'm used to associating myself with sub-par characters anyway.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
But there is something we have to keep in mind. We can talk about how we are all gonna main Cloud and how top tier until our mouths fall off, but lets be honest here, who here is really gonna stick with Cloud once he is released?
I will.
#CloudStrife4Life

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
We need a hashtag #Strife4Life. But still, I remember when one dude said he would main Roy through out his smash career. Then he dropped him in two weeks. Coward.

Last edited:

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
Ohh im sure ill stick with him either way, he is the only one in the Roster who truly symbolized my childhood as a perpetual RPG Fangirl. Both Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy are franchises i adore, im frankly still flabbergasted to think Cloud Strife will be in my favorite fighting game franchise among greats like Mario, Ryu, Link etc.. pinch me haha..

I used to laugh at a childhood friend who dremp't of such a thing back in the days of Melee/Brawl. Im quite thankful for Clouds inclusion and may make him my Secondary over Zelda soon.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Uh, me.

Anyway, I saw a couple of reports that the next Nintendo Direct would be coming in "early" December. I don't know how credible those reports are, but I'm sure I saw more than one.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
It's always much easier to drop a bad character when you have no connection to him/her. It was a very long road with Link. I mained him since 64. But Cloud is the only character that I can say I admire more than Link. He defined my gaming life, really. So naturally, it'll be easy to drop Link into secondary status for Cloud.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I guarantee he'll be in my Top 4 most used characters, and I'll stick to that. Unless some other character I really really really like gets in, I won't be changing my mind.

:4megaman::4sonic:>:4cloud::4littlemac:>:4samus::4pit:

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I will main Cloud as he is the most recognizable Final Fantasy character to me since i have played FF7 on PS1 and PC. I hope he is good but i will still main him as a secondary if he is mid tier.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I actually anticipate having a lot of fun with Cloud. I love him as a character and he looks pretty fun. Plus, my rival will also be picking him up so that'll be extra motivation--having a Cloud that's better than his. I think he prefers the Advent Children look while I prefer the FF7 look so that's even better.

Y'no, seeing him in his FF7 and Advent Children clothing is still kind of weird to me. My first exposure to Cloud--and my only one, really, since I've never played an FF game--was in the Kingdom Hearts series. While I'm not a dunce when it comes to the Final Fantasy series (mostly because of KH and also my girl is a huge Dissidia enthusiast), the FF7 Remake trailer and this Smash 4 reveal were the first time I've seen his original outfit in HD. It's so different from his Kingdom Hearts look and I guess I never realized at the time how unnecessarily over the top and out of the norm that look was. It's almost like the Cloud I know isn't the Cloud everyone else knows. Still a badass, but I guess I don't really know much of his FF backstory (tried to play FF7 on my PS3 but it aged so badly I couldn't. Just waiting for the remake). I actually am so used to the Kingdom Hearts Cloud that I thought the flak jacket on his back on the Advent Children costume was a dark wing that revealed itself on some of his moves.

I plan on maining him as a secondary to Zero Suit since I just dropped Pit from my main to my #4... but I also just picked up Roy the other day so I'll have to see how it goes between him and Roy before I can honestly say who my secondary will be. But I'm super excited about Cloud. As long as he doesn't disappoint me like Mewtwo and Lucas did, he'll be one of my most played characters. He's one of the few characters I feel like I have an attachment to outside of Smash.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I think Zero suit Samus and Cloud Strife will make a good main Combo.

Tri Knight Tri Knight I'm sure Link and Cloud will make an awesome combo as well.

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I have been actually thinking about switching to ZSS recently as i think i play better with her.

I remember some moments from the first i played FF7. It was on the PS3 and i remember slowly walking down the train stations as i did not know how to run until Barret told me.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Uh, me.

Anyway, I saw a couple of reports that the next Nintendo Direct would be coming in "early" December. I don't know how credible those reports are, but I'm sure I saw more than one.
I think it will be early to try and get in there for the holiday rush. I am guessing it will be within the first 2 weeks, maybe on the 6th since that was the jp release of smash 4

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Cloud, you...you OK there buddy?

I don't think I'll main him but when I'm just playing for fun he will be pretty early in the rotation. I probably COULD main him and go far with him as I think his kit looks like it would work well with me. But MY blonde bae that I wanted in the game has been in the game since the beginning, so... :rosalina:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So... Cloud watched Smash Taunts and got mad when he saw Ike punch that kid. That's when he knew it was time to join the fray and Omnislash Ike. :p

And how did Cloud get into Smash? The same way he got into Dissidia.

Also, Cloud wearing the Bunny hood. :laugh:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Based on inferred Frame Data and his moveset covering most his bases, aswell as having a projectile Answer and Counter, my hypothesized guess is Mid to High-Mid Tier. might crack Top 20, that would be fantastic! ^^
I thought we established Cloud doesn't have a counter. A giant broadsword doesn't exactly lend itself well to parrying.

His neutral seems a bit weird for a swordsman as he's less about spacing with his sword and more forcing reactions with Blade Beam to punish or making calculated risks to get in and do damage.

...I'd honestly be surprised if Cloud doesn't have at least one semi-decent combo throw.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
RebelXII RebelXII I agree. Definitely think he'll be able to cover some weaknesses Cloud might have but in reality, Cloud will probably be way more viable than Link anyway.

I love being a Link main and this will be a very strange transition as I've hardcore mained nobody but Link. But he's never been a great character. Only in Smash 4 can I really consider him "ok" but literally just "ok". Its just sad cuz for wielding such an amazing sword he has very low sword game.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Hey guys. I just got off work anyways. I imagine we'll get at least one character alongside Cloud.

A friend and I were talking and we thought what if he included Sub Zero to represent gaming controversy? lol

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Cloud definitely resonates with me more as a character than D3 does, as I have so many more fond memories of FF7 than pretty much all of the Kirby games that I've played combined. Ditto with Ryu and all of the Street Fighter games, too. I can just see myself playing the hell out of Cloud for that reason alone, nevermind how cool the rest of his kit seems.

I've put a lot of effort into D3 competitively though, and he is by far the character I perform the best with. I have labbed hard, played for hours on end online and off, and have won some locals and toed-to-toed some of the best people in my region with him. Ryu's up there, close enough to at least where I could say I'm proficient with him, but he's not quite good enough to where I would consider switching off. I'm aware of D3's shortcomings, almost painfully so, but even then I still have faith in the character. :4dedede:

In other words, Cloud is gonna have to be plumb amazing in order to usurp D3, but I gladly welcome him into the stable for now.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Guys, remmember the FF VII tech demo for PS3? The pose that cloud does at the end could fit very well for a victory screen animation.

BTW, i am strongly feeling recently that he will use the train as his entrance. That's how he was introduced in his game, and the train scene it's iconic by itself

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
As a guy who is a fan of PSASBR, finally being able to play as him in a game like this makes me happy.

Naturally, i like games that are similar to Smash. I just have tons of fun with the gameplay. Jump Ultimate Stars is my favorite handheld fighter.

But i was thinking, what if we got two more fan service characters with the ballot choices? And what if those two fanservice were Snake and Heihachi or Crash? :laugh: Although this would start obvious hate, people like me would laugh so hard at that prospect.

Anyway, bad idea aside, i really am happy to see him in the game. I started playing FF7 recently for the first time and it is easily my favorite PS1 RPG next to Legend of Dragoon. Currently on my top ten list for JRPGs.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Many people (such as myself) are hoping for a return of Adventure mode, either in the style of Melee (which would make it fun for repeatable playthroughs) or more akin to Subspace Emissary (but with some improvements to make it less dull in the long run).
It would help alleviate the fact that there isn't too terribly much single player/Co-op content aside from farming trophies, especially since clearing Events doesn't take all that long, either.
I'm totally agreed with you here. Even to this day I think Smash4 really needs a story like cutcenes, especially when they may annouce they won't release new DLC characters in the future.
I am kind of prefer Adventure mode like Subspace Emissary, even if they don't include it as a mode, I hope they can release the cutscenes just like the Pikmin short movies.
Well, one of the biggest problems I have with Smash 4 currently is that we have all these great and awesome characters but aside from fighting, they barely interact with each other.
This actually the only pity thing about Smash4, Smash without characters interact just doesn't really make Smash 4 look like a true series...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm probably the only soul here that doesn't really care all that much for story in a fighting (PLATFORMER HYBRID) game. I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, right? That's what it's all about, when you get down to it. I kinda thought Subspace Emissary was kinda half-baked to begin with, especially taking the silent movie route to characterize and to help further the plot. Other fighting games like Blazblue and Guilty Gear at least genuinely attempt to immerse you in their world with storytelling and lore on top of all the fighting (which, of course, isn't a testament to their quality, mind you); Subspace relied on familiar faces and (I guess) their attributed charisma without much depth otherwise. But, I guess I'm just not fond of the kinda medium it strove for to convey its story.

(The mode itself, well, it was kinda...lackluster. A lot of it really, really felt like I was playing through a generic Kirby game with generic enemies, rather than this epic standalone thing that blended many of our beloved franchises together. But I digress.)

That said, I don't really mind modes like that. It's good padding for a game, imo. Same with other single player modes. I would have loved a Smash Run equivalent on the Wii U version, complete with online AND local multiplayer. I spent a considerable amount of time playing that mode on the 3DS version. It was a lot of fun.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Unfortunately, it wouldn't make much sense for them to bring in an Adventure mode this late. It's been a year after release, and their DLC team is significantly smaller than the one they had for the main game!

On a side note, I think I'm finally going to start FFVII. I just got done with a different RPG, so I figure now's as good a time as ever to play it myself.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Unfortunately, it wouldn't make much sense for them to bring in an Adventure mode this late. It's been a year after release, and their DLC team is significantly smaller than the one they had for the main game!

On a side note, I think I'm finally going to start FFVII. I just got done with a different RPG, so I figure now's as good a time as ever to play it myself.
You won't be sorry. Its a really good game. What RPG did you finish?

I recommend you play it on steam for better graphics and faster loading time.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You won't be sorry. Its a really good game. What RPG did you finish?

I recommend you play it on steam for better graphics and faster loading time.
Etrian Odyssey IV was the one I just finished. If you've never heard of the series, they're dungeon crawlers with an emphasis on mapmaking.

Oh, and they're tough as nails and will destroy you if you don't use competent tactics.

And the Steam version is the one I have, so no problem there.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, that happens to pretty much every character out there. I am fairly confident that I will stick with Cloud just because I have yet to truly find a main. I played some characters that I have enjoyed, but no character has resonated with me.

Top Bottom