• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
That does beg the question of whether or not the remaining DLC characters that are not veterans will be third-party characters (unless Snake > Wolf happens). They could be saving most Nintendo newcomers for the next title after all. I do not find it entirely likely, but I am open to the possibility. I suppose that to an extent it depends on if Cloud was the ballot winner. I have a heard a lot of people voicing differing opinions on the matter.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we only got third party character dlc until the end. Cause I feel any third party would hype up a lot of people and depending on who they choose would possibly bring in fans of those series that never would have bought a wii u/3ds if instead we got a first party.

Like Snake or Scorpion even since we mentioned him earlier would likely bring in more fans from their series than King K. Rool, or Wolf or Isaac since most people who own those characters probably already have Smash Bros. But that's just my opinion honestly.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we only got third party character dlc until the end. Cause I feel any third party would hype up a lot of people and depending on who they choose would possibly bring in fans of those series that never would have bought a wii u/3ds if instead we got a first party.

Like Snake or Scorpion even since we mentioned him earlier would likely bring in more fans from their series than King K. Rool, or Wolf or Isaac since most people who own those characters probably already have Smash Bros. But that's just my opinion honestly.
Besides revealing third party characters, I also hope we can hear some ground breaking news on Smash 4's future.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Besides revealing third party characters, I also hope we can hear some ground breaking news on Smash 4's future.
Well, Sakurai did say in an interview shortly after the game's release that he now has "new modes" (among other things) to consider for DLC. Weither this meant the Tournament Mode or something else is still to be seen.

Many people (such as myself) are hoping for a return of Adventure mode, either in the style of Melee (which would make it fun for repeatable playthroughs) or more akin to Subspace Emissary (but with some improvements to make it less dull in the long run).
It would help alleviate the fact that there isn't too terribly much single player/Co-op content aside from farming trophies, especially since clearing Events doesn't take all that long, either.

But we'll see. Whatever will come of the December presentation, I'm sure it won't disappoint.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, Sakurai did say in an interview shortly after the game's release that he now has "new modes" (among other things) to consider for DLC. Weither this meant the Tournament Mode or something else is still to be seen.

Many people (such as myself) are hoping for a return of Adventure mode, either in the style of Melee (which would make it fun for repeatable playthroughs) or more akin to Subspace Emissary (but with some improvements to make it less dull in the long run).
It would help alleviate the fact that there isn't too terribly much single player/Co-op content aside from farming trophies, especially since clearing Events doesn't take all that long, either.

But we'll see. Whatever will come of the December presentation, I'm sure it won't disappoint.
I would love to see a return of Adventure or Subspace Emissary! Heck, I'd settle for an online version of Smash Run for Wii U at this point.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Personally, as cool as it would be to have a storyline sequel kinda to Subspace Emissary, Adventure Mode would allow more flexibility for more characters without alienating everyone. Like Wolf, Jigglypuff or Toon Link.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Personally, as cool as it would be to have a storyline sequel kinda to Subspace Emissary, Adventure Mode would allow more flexibility for more characters without alienating everyone. Like Wolf, Jigglypuff or Toon Link.
Well, one of the biggest problems I have with Smash 4 currently is that we have all these great and awesome characters but aside from fighting, they barely interact with each other.
I'm not even asking for much. I don't need a huge and epic story if all I crave are some scenes of these figures goofing off with each other. That was always the best part about Subspace Emissary, anyways.

Of course this still wouldn't be a small task by any stretch of the imagination. For one, capturing all these characters correctly is a huge undertaking. While some thankfully don't have much to go off of (Villager, Duck Hunt, to some extend the Pokémon), and some would be easy to portrait correctly for Sakurai (the entire Kirby and Kid Icarus cast), others are a lot harder to get right because of how clearly they are defined in their game of origin (Shulk, Cloud, the FE characters).

And even giving every character just one scene would already be a LOT of material to script, storyboard and animate. And then add in Sakurai's aversion to leaks and feeling that cutscenes aren't an adequate reward if you can just go watch them online.

So yeah, as much as I like the idea, I find it highly unlikely.

Though a Melee-style adventure mode with some randomization in terms of level order or something, utilizing the enemy assets from Smash Run and mixing in some minigames or boss battles every 2 levels or so?
That sounds a lot more plausible.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
To me, the journey to the dark side will be complete once Simon Belmont is announced.
I mean, getting Snake would be nice I guess, although on a personal level, I never really cared about MGS.
But hey, if we got 2 reps from Capcom, we can get 2 from Konami.
(That, and we'd have: :4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::snake::041: 7 - 3rd party characters. Which just screams website photo of them together with :4mario:)
Simon, Snake AND Bomberman, three relevant iconic franquises, all sadly belonging to Pachinko...i mean, Konami, :U

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly, I do believe that Cloud deserved his spot more than Pac-Man. Pac-Man is legendary and one of the first discernible video-game "characters;" however, the intrinsic issue with Pac-Man, to me, is that he is essentially a cheese wheel. An iconic cheese wheel, of course. The Pac-Man that non-core gamers are deeply aware of is not the one we received. I am not a huge Pac-Man fan, so I am not entirely certain if he ever uses ghosts to attack enemies or anything of the sort. I do know that when non-core gamers allude to Pac-Man they are not mentally construing the creature playable in Smash Brothers.

The notion of "deserve" is subjective. It does not necessarily imply that the more well-known characters are inherently more deserving. Pac-Man is an older character that represents the arcades, something that I am not well-versed in given my age (21). Cloud represents MY era of gaming. Pac-Man's reveal did not make me want to go and play Pac-Man's games in anticipation for the moment I would be able use him whereas Cloud has enabled me to experience one of gaming's greatest masterpieces that I had neglected. He did what third-party characters are intended to do. Pac-Man, he was a box that needed to be checked. Cloud, he was a pleasant surprise. Pac-Man is a character that by design was never intended to fight monsters, yet here he is... Fighting. So utterly warranted he is. Cloud, well, it is obvious that Cloud is the antithesis of the aforementioned design.

This is the Cloud thread and we are are almost obligated to circle-jerk Cloud into submission. But I truly believe that Cloud is more deserving of his place in Smash Brothers. He represents so much more, two companies coming together from a spiteful past. He changes the realm of speculation rather than adhering to the expected. Most of his in-game character is torn straight from the game that core players love and appreciate. Pac-Man did a lot for the industry, and he is the more notable character, but is he the better entry in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U? I would humbly argue that he is not. To me, as a fan of gaming, I appreciate Cloud more and I will play as Cloud more. Not because he is one of gaming's most prominent characters to ever grace our medium... Because he is a character that I, as a person who enjoys gaming, adore.

Cloud is a deep and complex character that I have come to respect. Pac-Man is a circular mass of pixels with little to no relevant personality. That is the difference to me.
All very good points...however each point is moot because they are both in the game...or at least going to be

What does it matter if Cloud is more deserving or if Pac-Man is? It's not like one has gotten in over the other or that they are both competing to get in, both have gotten a spot on the roster...
I could say Mario is more deserving than Marth...but since both are still playable in the game it really doesn't matter all that much to begin with...

Let's just appreciate the fact that this is probably the only the time that both Pac-Man and Cloud will be featured in the same game...Both are gaming icons in their own right, both deserve a spot on the roster...

----

Also why are people still thinking that Cloud won the Ballot? He was revealed around one month after the ballot closed, and based on what we saw in the trailer there was waaaaay more than a month's worth of work that went into both him and the Midgar stage...Since E3 Sakurai had plenty of time to work on him during the summer in addition to one or two other characters which we may likely see come this December...If it was a Mewtwo type reveal with just a simple model shown then I can see that being the case, but since he appears almost 100% complete I still see no reason to think that he was chosen from the ballot...especially since hardly anyone even talked about him for Smash...

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Yes Cardinal! Excellent choice.

Hey gorl, how have you been? Haven't seen you drop by the Zelda Social recently, though it's nice to see you remember :secretkpop:
So I made that picture into an icon for you, but wan't sure how big to make it (I can make it bigger/smaller if you want) I also made it into an intensify gif

Anyway, hello everyone~
Gonna start frequenting this social as well. As an FF fan, it's nice to see Cloud in smash even though I haven't played FFVII.
Out of the ones I've played, FFIV DS would be my favourite. For spinoffs, I really enjoy Crystal Chronicles on the GC and Tactics Advance
Are you an angeal?
WOAH.jpg WOAH2.jpg WOAH.jpg WOAH2.jpg WOAH.jpg WOAH2.jpg WOAH.jpg WOAH2.jpg

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
We definitely need a Subspace 2. I loved that in Brawl but I have a feeling we would get something more like Melee's Adventure mode.

And I would THINK Sakurai would actually think about a Battlefield For Glory mode. Alpha stages here we come!!!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
pichu but no one gives a **** about that character lol.

I am surprised we didnt get sephty with cloud, it just seems like it would have been a really cool thing to have both of them in the game at once and it would have given smash a super iconic villain as well.

sure but 7 has become the poster child of se at this point and they are nearing the end of compilation of ff7 as well as a lot of people who never played 7 know who sephy is due to kh and I know several people who thought he was from that game. Also I want sabin **** all others
Can't Cloud have one non-minor cameo appearance without Sephiroth breathing down his neck?

Well, one of the biggest problems I have with Smash 4 currently is that we have all these great and awesome characters but aside from fighting, they barely interact with each other.
I'm not even asking for much. I don't need a huge and epic story if all I crave are some scenes of these figures goofing off with each other. That was always the best part about Subspace Emissary, anyways.

Of course this still wouldn't be a small task by any stretch of the imagination. For one, capturing all these characters correctly is a huge undertaking. While some thankfully don't have much to go off of (Villager, Duck Hunt, to some extend the Pokémon), and some would be easy to portrait correctly for Sakurai (the entire Kirby and Kid Icarus cast), others are a lot harder to get right because of how clearly they are defined in their game of origin (Shulk, Cloud, the FE characters).

And even giving every character just one scene would already be a LOT of material to script, storyboard and animate. And then add in Sakurai's aversion to leaks and feeling that cutscenes aren't an adequate reward if you can just go watch them online.

So yeah, as much as I like the idea, I find it highly unlikely.

Though a Melee-style adventure mode with some randomization in terms of level order or something, utilizing the enemy assets from Smash Run and mixing in some minigames or boss battles every 2 levels or so?
That sounds a lot more plausible.
Project X Zone is a game that's pretty much all about interaction.

Though if we got a new Adventure mode or updated Smash Run would we see more enemies (possibly even some from FFVII or just FF in general)?

A Tonberry would be hilarious.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Hm, with Cloud appearing on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories in 2005 on GBA and again in Kingdom Hearts re:coded in 2009 on the Nintendo DS, (and then Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance on 3DS in 2012 despite not featuring Cloud in that game) I wonder if Nintendo still had some rights to Cloud in some capacity? Maybe this acquisition wasn't as hard as we thought.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hm, with Cloud appearing on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories in 2005 on GBA and again in Kingdom Hearts re:coded in 2009 on the Nintendo DS, (and then Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance on 3DS in 2012 despite not featuring Cloud in that game) I wonder if Nintendo still had some rights to Cloud in some capacity? Maybe this acquisition wasn't as hard as we thought.
I think it wasn't so much rights to Cloud as much as it was Square-Enix brought the games to Nintendo's platforms, and for storyline purposes bam we've got Cloud in those games. He's probably still 100% Square-Enix's property.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
He was also in Theathrythm and Curtain Call.

Honestly the relationship between Nintendo and Squeenix was just a lot better than many anticipated. There hasn't been bad blood for years and the development for Nintendo consoles, specificly the 3DS, is pretty much a gold mine due to the large installbase and low cost thanks to the hardware being behind current tech quite a bit. That's why they where able to develop games like the KH spinoffs or Bravely Default on the side while still releasing their huge triple A titles like FF XIII to XV on the other platforms.

Also, looking back on it now, Cloud's inclusion makes a lot of sense.
Let's run down the hypothetical checklist, shall we?
- iconic character: Still the posterchild for JRPGs to this day and his game inpacted the genre like no other.
- has personality: From the great design to the way he talks and moves: All yes.
- easily implemented yet unique fighting style: Heck yes. The limit breaks are both iconic and and interesting gameplay element in VII, would make sense to somehow convey that in his gameplay in Smash.

I guess the only things really holding him back where any grudges held between Nintendo and Square Enix (which probably died years ago) and the fact that there where still other characters that where just a little more iconic and/or better assosiated with Nintendo.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
At this point I imagine the next 2-3 DLC characters will be left field characters too. Idk. Sakurai did say "fan service" if this is his last smash good lord is he ending it with a bang. Also look at how adorable Cloud is here
Theatrhythm_cloud.png

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Master chief would bring together all the console rivalries. I would love to see it happen.

...although I still want crash bandicoot...

Edit: And use his moveset from warped. Completely eradicate all traces of the Radical Entertainment time period of crash...
I would love to have Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot as the final two additions. That would be absolutely awesome.

Regarding Crash Bandicoot, I'm the biggest Crash fan here but I wouldn't be opposed to some elements of his Mind Over Mutant and Crash of the Titans era making an appearance. As long as his moveset is mostly from Warped, his design from Twinsanity, an alternate costume from Mind Over Mutant (similar to Advent Children Cloud), and his mute personality from Cortex Strikes Back, I'd be alright with it. Like, I wouldn't be upset if his Final Smash was summoning a titan (or whatever he did in those wack games), though I would prefer his moveset to be based around Warped, Wrath of Cortex, and Twinsanity exclusively.

But ultimately, what I would like to see as a form of "final DLC" is alternate costumes for all the characters, like how they did with Marvel v. Capcom 3. An awesome alternate for Cloud would be his Kingdom Hearts attire, bandaged sword and all.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To me, Cloud is the grand finale of Smash Bros. The End. Just roll the credits now, Sakurai, and drop the mike while you're at it. Anything after Cloud is the post-credits scene.

I was thinking the very same thing, if this is to be Sakurai's REAL final Smash Bros. game, he'll want to leave with a bang.
And something tells me, judging by the way "Square-Enix" was stamped at the end of the trailer, that there's probably going to be another 3rd party addition. I still have a hunch it's going to be Konami. But RARE is not out of the question, since they were a major contribution to the SNES/N64 eras.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I hope this is not the last smash bros. Maybe not for another 9 years, but I hope not the last. But if it is, then this game was very well put together and I enjoy every minute of it. People who say other wise can kiss my ass.

At this point I imagine the next 2-3 DLC characters will be left field characters too. Idk. Sakurai did say "fan service" if this is his last smash good lord is he ending it with a bang. Also look at how adorable Cloud is here
View attachment 84205
not as adorable as this though.

Tri Knight Tri Knight Not even a sub-space 2. Just a adventure mode like in melee would be nice. Smash run was a bore and master fortress is a pain in the ass to deal with.

But if we got sub-space 2, that would be the coolest thing. And please no battlefield mode...just...no

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
We definitely need a Subspace 2. I loved that in Brawl but I have a feeling we would get something more like Melee's Adventure mode.

And I would THINK Sakurai would actually think about a Battlefield For Glory mode. Alpha stages here we come!!!
I'd rather a hazard switch for all stages than a battlefield form.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd rather a hazard switch for all stages than a battlefield form.
I actually agree with this. I like the unique platform placing on stages like Wily's Castle.

I mean technically it can be done, because 5 player Smash disables them naturally, but it's a hassle to set up.

Smooth Criminal

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I just hope that if this is the last Smash game, we get a few more good month's or year's worth of DLC before the next release.

So, would anyone care to spar sometime this week? For those of us U.S Smash-players, it's Thanksgiving and I imagine you, much like me, will have a few days off from work or class. We could coordinate a day to play? Whether you're in the U.S or not, I'd love to go up against my fellow Cloud mains and friends at some point. Let me know and we'll exchange NNID's.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Gonna be working the lion's share of the week but I should be available for most of the evenings? Obviously not going to be on Thanksgiving proper.

ID's in my profile, hmu whenever

Smooth Criminal

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I just hope that if this is the last Smash game, we get a few more good month's or year's worth of DLC before the next release.

So, would anyone care to spar sometime this week? For those of us U.S Smash-players, it's Thanksgiving and I imagine you, much like me, will have a few days off from work or class. We could coordinate a day to play? Whether you're in the U.S or not, I'd love to go up against my fellow Cloud mains and friends at some point. Let me know and we'll exchange NNID's.
Always looking for sparring partners. Might not be super-available, though.
What time zone are you in? It's mountain time where I am.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
With so many Smash Run enemies, they have the potential to make one really epic Adventure Mode that surpasses Melee's.

For series where there aren't enemies, they could either include old SSE enemies, or in the case of Fire Emblem, just hazards and a final battle in the colisseum.

Which got me thinking.. If FF(7) were to have a Smash Run / Adventure Mode enemy, which would you choose?

I'd probably choose one of the more iconic FF monsters, like Bomb, Behemoth, Tornberry, Cactuar or Malboro.
(Cactuar would automatically inflict 100% damage, then run away) xD

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Tonberry for sure. It moves slowly until it can get close enough to rush in and stab you for heavy damage, and fires dark magic from his lantern.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
With so many Smash Run enemies, they have the potential to make one really epic Adventure Mode that surpasses Melee's.

For series where there aren't enemies, they could either include old SSE enemies, or in the case of Fire Emblem, just hazards and a final battle in the colisseum.

Which got me thinking.. If FF(7) were to have a Smash Run / Adventure Mode enemy, which would you choose?

I'd probably choose one of the more iconic FF monsters, like Bomb, Behemoth, Tornberry, Cactuar or Malboro.
(Cactuar would automatically inflict 100% damage, then run away) xD
Behemoths, Bahamut, Friendly Yams or the scorpion mech from FFVII would be great

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I agree. I just would like a side scrolling adventure like sub-space or adventure mode from melee. IDC if they remake the levels. It should be 2 player co-op as well.

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
I hate how small Cloud's icon is on the site
Yeah, because stylish spiky big hair. I'd rather Advent Children's hair tho.

Now i wonder about Snake's chances. I remember that Kojima wished Snake since Melee, but the game was almost done on that time so there wasnt enough time for him. His wish was granted on Brawl. However Kojima left Konami, so that might makes negotiations more difficult. However a saw a Snake amiibo pic recently, not sure if its true, but if is, that's pretty much like a confirmation.

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CGx9VhzUIAA6KWG.jpg-large.jpeg

And this may be old news but, someone found on WiiU files that there are still more 5 free characters spots with Cloud included. So four potential of them are Wolf, Snake, Shovel Knight and Shantae maybe? (Assuming that Nintendo will ever uses all of them)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Yeah, because stylish spiky big hair. I'd rather Advent Children's hair tho.

Now i wonder about Snake's chances. I remember that Kojima wished Snake since Melee, but the game was almost done on that time so there wasnt enough time for him. His wish was granted on Brawl. However Kojima left Konami, so that might makes negotiations more difficult. However a saw a Snake amiibo pic recently, not sure if its true, but if is, that's pretty much like a confirmation.

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CGx9VhzUIAA6KWG.jpg-large.jpeg

And this may be old news but, someone found on WiiU files that there are still more 5 free characters spots with Cloud included. So four potential of them are Wolf, Snake, Shovel Knight and Shantae maybe? (Assuming that Nintendo will ever uses all of them)
Source? Because I haven't heard anything about this and it's possible that you're getting confused by the pre-Luroyu slots that came with Mewtwo's release (five, three of which went to Luroyu, one to Cloud, and the last currently unknown by likely to be known next month).

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
It has been like 5 years or more since I've played and beaten Final Fantasy 7. Right now I'm revisting it and beating it on my PS Vita doing a low level, no non-mandatory inns allowed playthrough. Just left Midgar with my party being level 11 / 10.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I looked it up; it's fan made which explains some of the inconsistencies like the font, the age rating which isn't on official amiibo, and Snake's face looks incredibly detailed unlike other amiibo, but that comes at the cost of his body looking a bit... blocky. From the same source: http://nerdreactor.com/2015/06/08/s...ing_wp_cron=1448230735.5415930747985839843750. Also, the tweet that Hideo retweeted.

Pretty sure his bandanna's not supposed to be that long...

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I looked it up; it's fan made which explains some of the inconsistencies like the font, the age rating which isn't on official amiibo, and Snake's face looks incredibly detailed unlike other amiibo, but that comes at the cost of his body looking a bit... blocky. From the same source: http://nerdreactor.com/2015/06/08/s...ing_wp_cron=1448230735.5415930747985839843750. Also, the tweet that Hideo retweeted.

Pretty sure his bandanna's not supposed to be that long...
That looks so real. Its kind of scary how he is just staring at me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom