• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I've never played Final Fantasy VII. So to see cloud in smash got me interested in the FF series. But, I don't have enough money to buy a PS4 or a Xbox one. So I may just by the game off steam.

Same thing happened with Shulk. I heard Shulk was on Smash, and I heard they would remake it for the Nintendo 3DS. But the wii version was cheaper, so I bought that one in stead.

but I look forward to seeing the new looks and cutscenes will look like.
The PC version is very good. It is also on iOS and Android i think.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I want Snake back but I doubt he will be back simply because of the current state/mindset of Konami. Also the lack of Kojima, since Kojima was the reason he got into Brawl.
"Sakurai Magic" is how we were able to get Cloud in the game. Square is VERY protective of their properties. And of all characters, we got Cloud, who's never been on a Nintendo console save a cameo or two.

Any argument you could use to justify Cloud is weaker than one you could use to justify Snake, save perceptions of difficulty. That is of course not to say it's going to happen, but I get the feeling is Sakurai *wanted* to appeal to fan demand for Snake, he would have the ability to get him, regardless.

Even Konami isn't stupid enough to miss out on more free Smash advertisement.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Like I've said in the past concerning Snake and his appearance in Smash, it's EASY MONAYYYYYYYYYYY on Konami's part. They're not ceding/forking over the Metal Gear property in its entirety to Nintendo---it's on loan. A loan that rakes in biiiiiiiiiig bucks for all parties involved.

Smooth Criminal

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Sakurai Magic" is how we were able to get Cloud in the game. Square is VERY protective of their properties. And of all characters, we got Cloud, who's never been on a Nintendo console save a cameo or two.

Any argument you could use to justify Cloud is weaker than one you could use to justify Snake, save perceptions of difficulty. That is of course not to say it's going to happen, but I get the feeling is Sakurai *wanted* to appeal to fan demand for Snake, he would have the ability to get him, regardless.
This would be fine except for one thing - Konami and Kojima absolutely hate each other. Konami even blocked Kojima from following the public Konami Twitter account. They aren't going to let Snake in Smash because Kojima would actually love that (as in he's already literally stated he'd love for Snake to come back).

Even Konami isn't stupid enough to miss out on more free Smash advertisement.
Yes, they are. This is the same company that is literally dropping all AAA video game development sans Pro Evolution Soccer, and focusing entirely on mobile gaming and erotic pachinko machines based on Silent Hill, of all properties.

I have characters I know are considered unlikely/too difficult to get that I still hope for (mainly Sora from Kingdom Hearts), but I don't for Snake because his situation is like, an unprecedented level of "never gonna happen".

People keep saying "CLOUD MEANS ANYONE CAN GET IN", and I jokingly say this sometimes too, but that is implying Cloud himself is "just anyone", and that's simply not the case. Cloud was an unexpected addition, but not an unprecedented one.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
This would be fine except for one thing - Konami and Kojima absolutely hate each other. Konami even blocked Kojima from following the public Konami Twitter account. They aren't going to let Snake in Smash because Kojima would actually love that (as in he's already literally stated he'd love for Snake to come back).
Money > whatever personal **** you're talking about. Not to mention, well, they've treated even other high-end (ex-)personnel similarly. They're draconian ******** to a 't.'

I should also mention that Metal Gear also isn't legally Kojima's IP. It hasn't been for a looooooooong time. Konami can do whatever the hell they want with the property/licenses and Kojima can't legally lift a finger to stop it. Hell, to give you an idea, you think Kojima is rolling in the yen/dollars after TPP? Compared to most, maybe so, but in exchange for astronomical budget and leeway during development, he forfeited his right to the lion's share of the profit made for SELLING the game. This (supposedly) has been a thing in other Metal Gear games as well, but this particular instance went on record. Do a search surrounding the controversy of TPP, bud.

Also, that Twitter ****? It's fake, lol.

Yes, they are. This is the same company that is literally dropping all AAA video game development sans Pro Evolution Soccer, and focusing entirely on mobile gaming and erotic pachinko machines based on Silent Hill, of all properties.

I have characters I know are considered unlikely/too difficult to get that I still hope for (mainly Sora from Kingdom Hearts), but I don't for Snake because his situation is like, an unprecedented level of "never gonna happen".

People keep saying "CLOUD MEANS ANYONE CAN GET IN", and I jokingly say this sometimes too, but that is implying Cloud himself is "just anyone", and that's simply not the case. Cloud was an unexpected addition, but not an unprecedented one.
And you think Snake doesn't have precedent? He's done a lot for gaming, has more of a tangible presence on Nintendo platforms, AND he's been in a Smash game before.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Money > whatever personal **** you're talking about. Not to mention, well, they've treated even other high-end (ex-)personnel similarly. They're draconian ******** to a 't.'

I should also mention that Metal Gear also isn't legally Kojima's IP. It hasn't been for a looooooooong time. Konami can do whatever the hell they want with the property/licenses and Kojima can't legally lift a finger to stop it.

And you think Snake doesn't have precedent?

Smooth Criminal
That's not the case if you look at their recent track record of business decisions. It's like Konami is doing everything they can to steer away from money. You and I may see that Snake in Smash = easy money and free advertising, doesn't necessarily mean they will see that.

I know Metal Gear isn't owned by Kojima, but as I've been saying, that's part of the problem here - if it were up to him, he probably would have been in on launch day. But Kojima wants Snake in the game, so that gives Konami a reason not to do it.

Snake has precedent especially since he is a veteran, but he is a special case in that he is not at all in the right circumstances. The future of his own franchise is even uncertain and looking pretty bleak, and he's in the worst hands. I legitimately think we'd see Disney let Sora into Smash before we see Konami let Snake return, and that's saying a lot.

Either way there is no point debating this because it's not like I don't want him in the game, I actually want him a lot (Snake was the reason I got into Smash). I just don't think it's gonna happen this time. I'd love to be wrong, but I won't be convinced he can make it back, until he actually does make it back.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I'm cautiously optimistic for the FFVII remake.

Pros:
- I'm excited to see the game in HD. I'm not a graphics ***** by any means, but goddamn is the original ugly. The sprites from previous FF iterations have held up far better. This is a caveat into my next point...
- Beautifully rendered open world (HIGH-DEF GOLDEN SAUCER, I TELL YOU H'WHAT)
- Better localization (original suffered from the opposite)
- I'm sure a lot of purists would hate this, but cinematic cut scenes with voice-overs

Areas of Concern:
- Square has kept quiet about the battle system for the remake and I'd assert this is the most hotly debated aspect of the game. I won't be in opposition if the turn-based battles make a return, but I'm certain Square wants to move away from that system and implement something different. I imagine it will probably be similar to FFXV, but who knows?
- The story will likely be unaltered, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that Square may add or subtract elements from the original plot. My hope is that they don't go all George Lucas on FFVII and add useless details just because they can

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
That's cool to see it in such detail, but why the hell is it in XIV?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Because ARR is a bloody nod to every single FF game in existence, that's why.

Smooth Criminal
Meaning it's effectively FFIX: MMO Edition. :p

I actually have both a free trial for ARR and the Collector's Edition but I have yet to try it. Waiting for the right time to do so.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Meh. MMO's aren't my thing, but it's cool to see such an iconic location get this kind of treatment.

I can't wait to pilot the Highwind and fly my ass around the world.

Speaking of Highwind, my guess is that Cloud either rides into view on Fenrir or gets dropped onto the screen via Highwind for his battle entrance.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Meaning it's effectively FFIX: MMO Edition. :p

I actually have both a free trial for ARR and the Collector's Edition but I have yet to try it. Waiting for the right time to do so.
Pretty much. Throw in scores of FF1 references (more than any other MAIN game in the franchise) and you're not very far off the mark, lol.

Now IMO is the best time to try ARR, especially with the changes brought on to the core game with the Heavensward xpac (they streamlined leveling a ****ton, for example, making getting to the newest content that much easier). As a MMO it's not so bad, either. Yoshi P and Co.'s Realm Reborn overhaul has made it very enjoyable.

Meh. MMO's aren't my thing, but it's cool to see such an iconic location get this kind of treatment.

I can't wait to pilot the Highwind and fly my *** around the world.

Speaking of Highwind, my guess is that Cloud either rides into view on Fenrir or gets dropped onto the screen via Highwind for his battle entrance.
As long as it's nothing like Ryu's bland "I come straight outta nowhere!" bull****, I could care less how Cloud enters the fray. He could ride in on a Chocobo for all I care, lol

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I'm garbage at video games. Including Smash :)

As long as it's nothing like Ryu's bland "I come straight outta nowhere bull****," I could care less how Cloud enters the fray. He could ride in on a Chocobo for all I care, lol

Smooth Criminal
I think he should ride is motor-bike like Wario. Only cooler and more epic looking.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pretty much. Throw in scores of FF1 references (more than any other MAIN game in the franchise) and you're not very far off the mark, lol.

Now IMO is the best time to try ARR, especially with the changes brought on to the core game with the Heavensward xpac (they streamlined leveling a ****ton, for example, making getting to the newest content that much easier). As a MMO it's not so bad, either. Yoshi P and Co.'s Realm Reborn overhaul has made it very enjoyable.
The game looks like a lot of fun, yeah, the only thing is that I just have a lot of other things going on right now, including other games I'm trying get through. Since it would be my first real MMO experience, I want to have the time to get into it. I would also like to wait until some friends of mine get it too, since I feel a game like this would be best enjoyed with at least one friend going in.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm cautiously optimistic for the FFVII remake.

Pros:
- I'm excited to see the game in HD. I'm not a graphics ***** by any means, but goddamn is the original ugly. The sprites from previous FF iterations have held up far better. This is a caveat into my next point...
- Beautifully rendered open world (HIGH-DEF GOLDEN SAUCER, I TELL YOU H'WHAT)
- Better localization (original suffered from the opposite)
- I'm sure a lot of purists would hate this, but cinematic cut scenes with voice-overs

Areas of Concern:
- Square has kept quiet about the battle system for the remake and I'd assert this is the most hotly debated aspect of the game. I won't be in opposition if the turn-based battles make a return, but I'm certain Square wants to move away from that system and implement something different. I imagine it will probably be similar to FFXV, but who knows?
- The story will likely be unaltered, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that Square may add or subtract elements from the original plot. My hope is that they don't go all George Lucas on FFVII and add useless details just because they can
my guess is any additions to the story would just be from the extended canon to try and fix plots holes the other games created and maybe some more side quest stuff, the main story holds up pretty well imo. And I think its fine that they change the battle system since it is a remake and the original is still there for people who want to play it like it was before.

Now for the music I would like to see in smash for the stage
Those who fight
Those who fight further
crazy motorcycle chase
bombing mission

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Um...

Did you purposely leave One-Winged Angel out of that list?
I want One Winged Angel too. The only thing is, will they include the entire song? Smash has been shortening a lot of songs that were otherwise longer, like say,

Engage the Enemy got shortened down for Smash Bros.; if they do One Winged Angel but can't include the full version, I hope they at least do a shortened version like Kingdom Hearts did. Having it remade/remixed would be sweet too. But we'll see!

I can see us having Bombing Mission, Those Who Fight, Those Who Fight Further as classic songs, and potentially a remix of the battle/boss themes.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Tracks for Midgar

FFVII opening
One winged Angel
A metal remix of the decisive battle
The sunleth waterscape
Those who fight further
and a Aeriths theme.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
So people, i am wondering (like Bahamut ZeRo), If Cloud already uses his battle victory pose in his taunt......what 3 victory animations he will get instead? it makes me curious, o.o.

And about his entrance............he could come with his motorcycle (in Fenrir when in AC costume), but i had the idea that he could come from an airstair dropped by the Highwind. (I would like if he arrives in a Chocobo, but that would be a bit childish, lol)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So people, i am wondering (like Bahamut ZeRo), If Cloud already uses his battle victory pose in his taunt......what 3 victory animations he will get instead? it makes me curious, o.o.

And about his entrance............he could come with his motorcycle (in Fenrir when in AC costume), but i had the idea that he could come from an airstair dropped by the Highwind. (I would like if he arrives in a Chocobo, but that would be a bit childish, lol)
It's not exactly unheard of for taunts and victory animations to be similar, look at Luigi's bobbling green missiles. Or how about Ike literally just using aether for one of his.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Even though it would never happen in a million years wouldn't it be awesome if Zack appeared as a clone bundled with Cloud? Kind of like Dark Pit to Pit, and co. It would never happen but the flaming Zack Fair Fanboy in me hopes and dreams of it.

Follow your dreams as Zack says.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even though it would never happen in a million years wouldn't it be awesome if Zack appeared as a clone bundled with Cloud? Kind of like Dark Pit to Pit, and co. It would never happen but the flaming Zack Fair Fanboy in me hopes and dreams of it.

Follow your dreams as Zack says.
I just want a Zack alt in the game lol.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I just hope Cloud can cover the Doctor Mario and Rosalina MU for me. Any MU's you hope Cloud can cover?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I main Dedede, so probably all of them? Haha.

I mean, Ryu covers a good portion of them already. But still, it wouldn't hurt to have another counterpick in my back pocket just in case.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So far up to the Sector 5 Reactor in my copy of FFVII on Steam. (Just stay away from the Windows Key...!) It's such a nostalgia blast, and I'm curious to see what the Remake will do to change, or enhance, the FFVII experience.

And it always puts a smile on my face to think that Cloud is on his way to Super Smash Bros...!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So when do you guys think Cloud will be released? I assume early December. I doubt itll be that far off
I'm thinking sometime in the first week or so of December...He'll likely be released during or around the Smash Broadcast and I doubt they'll wait too long before the Holidays to release Cloud and any other DLC (characters or otherwise)...

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Maybe near Christmas as a final Christmas gift with more DLC and more content from our lord a savior Sakurai.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I just hope Cloud can cover the Doctor Mario and Rosalina MU for me. Any MU's you hope Cloud can cover?
i think he will be fine against doc np, rosa will probably be a hard match up and it will depend on his frame data

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Using the battle victory pose somewhere else would feel lazy, since it already is a taunt, but it's a batte victory pose. Therefore, it'd be a sin to NOT put as a victory animation.

I kinda want to see one with Tifa, but I doubt that it'd happen...

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

I'm pretty sure we'll get a longer version (maybe with the one-handed cheer he does in VII that every game afterwards seemed to have forgotten about) of his classic victory pose as one of them.
If not they'd better have a good reason for it.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Using the battle victory pose somewhere else would feel lazy, since it already is a taunt, but it's a batte victory pose. Therefore, it'd be a sin to NOT put as a victory animation.

I kinda want to see one with Tifa, but I doubt that it'd happen...
Keep in mind Cloud when he does his taunt only rests it on his shoulder. I imagine a proper back one will happen.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Keep in mind Cloud when he does his taunt only rests it on his shoulder. I imagine a proper back one will happen.
While spinning it a jillion times like in the game...

Yeah, that would be great.

I could imagine "Limits are meant to be broken" as a quote for one of the victory poses.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
All I know us when I win a bunch of matches with Cloud I better keep hearing this in the victory menu.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
All I know us when I win a bunch of matches with Cloud I better keep hearing this in the victory menu.

The victory fanfare heard in Cloud's trailer is actually a remix, so yes. Most likely. There's also a chance that the part after the fanfare itself will replace the Smash 64 character select music that usually plays after the fanfares.
They at least have it in that remix.

Top Bottom