• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I see three outcomes to this:

A) Steve Burton is lying through his teeth and is recording VO for Cloud
B) Nintendo will keep his Japanese VO
C) Nintendo will pull dialogue from the various games and movie in which Steve voiced Cloud

All three are very likely considering Nintendo brought in Sean Schemmel to read Lucario's lines, even though he hasn't voiced the character since Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Kyle Hebert record new lines for Ryu or did they pull it from SF?
I can't be 100% certain, but I didn't recognize any of Ryu's lines in Smash. In fact, I questioned if it was even Kyle Hebert because he sounded so different to me.
You also left out option D: Nintendo may choose to get a different VA, as was the case with Ali Hillis voicing Palutena in Uprising, but not Smash.

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Huh. I hadn't considered that option, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. Whenever a new voice actor is brought on to replace the previous actor who is synonymous with that established character, it's a shot in the dark.

Look what happened with Konami bringing Kiefer Sutherland to play Snake in the new MGS -- the community did not react kindly to David Hayter being replaced. Granted, it made sense within the context of the game (won't spoil it for those of you who haven't played), but it's certainly a case where it really pissed off fans. I can't think of a case where the outcome was positive.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Voice actor changes are fine if they have someone who sounds like or reflects the changes to the character. So, Max Payne having 3 different voice actors is fine, especially James McCaffrey who sounds like an older Max. Cole MacGrath having an "excuse" for damaged vocal chords work out for inFAMOUS 1 and 2. In contrast, Sam Fisher suddenly sounding younger in Blacklist when he's like 50+ years-old and had a deep voice since the first game? That doesn't work.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Steve's voice definitely fits Cloud very well. It's always important to have a voice that fits. I mean look at the FF15 demo. Square got so much crap cuz Noctis just sounded so strange. Even they thought so after they released the demo.

Steve also seems enthusiastic to voice Cloud again so I'm expecting great acting from him for the remake and everything else he gets to be in.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I take it back -- Troy Baker playing the Joker in Batman: Arkham Origins was a positive. Mark Hamill will forever BE the Joker (in my book), but Troy turned in an excellent take on the Clown Prince that was well received among the community.

Steve did a good job with what little dialogue he had in Advent Children. His delivery of certain lines -- in the film -- sounded odd, but I'd attribute that more to the voice director and translators trying to fit the English dialogue to the Japanese mouth animations. His timbre befits Cloud well. He'll be recording more grunts and shouts for Smash than long-winded dialogue, but I've no doubt it'll sound good.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I always have to remind myself that I really liked him as Cloud in the first Kingdom Hearts, and it's not his fault Cloud was so depressed in Advent Children. I hope Smash helps reinvigorate Cloud's personality to a degree somehow.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I hope Steve Burton will voice Cloud in Smash 4. I think he captured that moody, teenage feel from Cloud very well. And even if Steve doesn't play Cloud, make the voice actor sound at least decent. I swear if they do Clouds voice like what they did with Fox...

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I always have to remind myself that I really liked him as Cloud in the first Kingdom Hearts, and it's not his fault Cloud was so depressed in Advent Children. I hope Smash helps reinvigorate Cloud's personality to a degree somehow.
If it makes you feel better he actually smiles in the trailer.

I hope the remake doesn't turn him into a depression case. They really need to build on his cocky attitude.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cloud really isn't cocky though right?
I mean i'm pretty sure he was only like that due to having his memory mixed with Zack`s.

In any case, I hope Steve comes back to voice Cloud in this game. I liked his work in Crisis Core and other FF7 content.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
He wasn't cocky. Think of a emo, moody and defiant and kind of cool but angry teenager is how I would describe is personality in the beginning. He develops as a character later.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
CC Cloud is pretty laid back a little bit. Maybe that`s just because of him being a rookie and stuff but he isn`t angry or anything like that in the game. I would even put CC Cloud as my favorite Cloud in the compilation of FF7.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
CC Cloud is pretty laid back a little bit. Maybe that`s just because of him being a rookie and stuff but he isn`t angry or anything like that in the game. I would even put CC Cloud as my favorite Cloud in the compilation of FF7.
Doesn't Cloud decribe Limit Breaks being powered by anger or something?

HOLY **** THAT EXPLAINS WHY YOU ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO OMNISLASH IN TH FINAL SHOWDOWN!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

HOLY **** THAT EXPLAINS WHY YOU ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO OMNISLASH IN TH FINAL SHOWDOWN!
I think I might have missed that part but perhaps.

I really like that last sequence in the game though. Seph getting OHKO`s is always funny to see.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I'm pretty sure he does or at least someone does in game, it makes sense because the Limit Gauge is charged by damage, so it's kinda like going into rage mode (especially for Cloud's Omnislash)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think I might have missed that part but perhaps.

I really like that last sequence in the game though. Seph getting OHKO`s is always funny to see.
From what little I've seen, I'd call the final battle the 2nd worst one as you can't lose, Sephiroth only has 1HP during that fight. Yu Yong on the other hand can't kill you, it's only offensive move hurts it, it can be affected by Doom AND if you give it the Zombie status it'll kill itself by constantly healing or having a Pheonix Down thrown on. Though the biggest sin is how unlike Sephy, Yu Yong comes out of no where

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
From what little I've seen, I'd call the final battle the 2nd worst one as you can't lose, Sephiroth only has 1HP during that fight. Yu Yong on the other hand can't kill you, it's only offensive move hurts it, it can be affected by Doom AND if you give it the Zombie status it'll kill itself by constantly healing or having a Pheonix Down thrown on. Though the biggest sin is how unlike Sephy, Yu Yong comes out of no where
Sephiroth's Final showdown is more for dramatic flair plotwise rather than Gameplay since you come off of a lengthy boss fight beforehand anyways...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
By Yu Yong I think you mean Yu Yevon from 10 right? In which case he's really easy to beat even though it can be tedious if you're underpowered.

The fight in 7 isn't all that great though the moment is.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
The Final battle was so epic with the cinematic was epic. Its the original Great Aether.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sephiroth's Final showdown is more for dramatic flair plotwise rather than Gameplay since you come off of a lengthy boss fight beforehand anyways...
I know, it's extremely memorable because of the story element. However, I was talking strictly about gameplay
By Yu Yong I think you mean Yu Yevon from 10 right? In which case he's really easy to beat even though it can be tedious if you're underpowered.

The fight in 7 isn't all that great though the moment is.
Yu Yevon, yeah. That ****** was X iirc. Just make it a zombie and it'll kill itself
The Final battle was so epic with the cinematic was epic. Its the original Great Aeither.
*Aether

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
For reference, this is how Steve Burton sounds in Dissidia which is his most recent work for Cloud as far as I'm aware: https://youtu.be/k24k6zpe3Qg. For talking and battles, I think Steve captures Cloud's solemness and makes Cloud sound alive while fighting. That's the best of both worlds where it's nice to hear them speak and it's a thrill to hear them fight. This is why I like Jim Walker for Fox so much since he made Fox sound so cool when talking and sound so visceral when fighting. Mike West's Fox is okay when fighting, but once you hear him speak, it's weird to say the least.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
If I am to fully connect to a character, they either need to sound cool or normal or not speak at all.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
For reference, this is how Steve Burton sounds in Dissidia which is his most recent work for Cloud as far as I'm aware: https://youtu.be/k24k6zpe3Qg. For talking and battles, I think Steve captures Cloud's solemness and makes Cloud sound alive while fighting. That's the best of both worlds where it's nice to hear them speak and it's a thrill to hear them fight. This is why I like Jim Walker for Fox so much since he made Fox sound so cool when talking and sound so visceral when fighting. Mike West's Fox is okay when fighting, but once you hear him speak, it's weird to say the least.
I think there are times he comes off as kinda moody ("I won.") but that's more how the character was written.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh, I remember a friend of mine waiting on that final showdown to see what happened, apparently Sephiroth attacked him, dealing 9998 damage, and because he had Counter Materia equipped, he accidentally beat him with it. :p

Speaking of which.. That final scene in the trailer still gives me the chills. :088:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Heh, I remember a friend of mine waiting on that final showdown to see what happened, apparently Sephiroth attacked him, dealing 9998 damage, and because he had Counter Materia equipped, he accidentally beat him with it. :p

Speaking of which.. That final scene in the trailer still gives me the chills. :088:
Cloud always counters if the player allows him to be attacked, iirc.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan

It would also explain why the Fury status doubles the rate at which your Limit Break gauge fills. It'd be a cool nod to the original if Nintendo added an Assist Trophy that summoned an FF character (maybe a Black and/or White mage) who casts status effects or damage spells.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I think there are times he comes off as kinda moody ("I won.") but that's more how the character was written.
I agree. Steve definitely sounds great in Dissidia, especially with his grunts when attacked or attacking but I think they overdid his moodiness.

"Burrrn....."

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Yeah, I know, I think he was deciding on what magic/summon to attack him with, but because ATB, he got attacked while deciding, and that's when he remembered he had Counter materia equipped.
Right, but what I'm saying is that in that last scene, Cloud counters without even having it equipped, lol.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Cloud really isn't cocky though right?
I mean i'm pretty sure he was only like that due to having his memory mixed with Zack`s.

In any case, I hope Steve comes back to voice Cloud in this game. I liked his work in Crisis Core and other FF7 content.
Cloud is actually quite cocky in the original FFVII, to the point where he comes off as kind of ass at times. Also a bit show-offy.
One could attribute that to the circumstances...
But then again, he doesn't stop doing any of that once that plotthread is cleared up. And he certainly always wanted to be the strong, cool guy, even when he was a kid.
Remember that his reasoning for going to Midgar to train for SOLDIER in the first place was him reading about Sephorith's heroic antics.
However, weither it was just lingering in his demeanor, weither it was a mix of what he thought Zack would be like and himself, or weither you think he actually was completely himself by the end of the game is open for interpretation.

I like to think that he probably mixed his perception of Zack - idealized as the (kinda stereotypically 90's action hero) cool guy he looked up to, not who Zack actually was - with his own fairly quickly. Once we meet Tifa we immediately see that he does have a bit of a softer side. Enter Aerith and there's not much left of the guy who once claimed that he doesn't care about the planet and that he was only in for the money.

EDIT:

Fun fact: It is hard coded into the game that you CANNOT loose that final battle. If you do nothing, Sephiroth will eventually attack, not dealing enough damage to kill, and Cloud will always counter with Omnislash, even if you have not learned it.
It's actually hard coded so stricktly that you can't even loose the battle with cheating. The game would rather crash than have the Game Over screen pop up.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
That's funny, Drak, because I still lost.

Smooth Criminal
That's funny, because Sephiroth deals 31/32's of your health in damage. It's like a gravity attack.
He literally cannot kill you.
But don't take my word from it:
This boss battle is cinematic, as evidenced by how all his stats are negative infinity. Cloud instantly gains the Limit Break Omnislash even if he has not learned it. The Change command to change row is greyed out, Sephiroth starts with an empty ATB gauge, and Cloud's first physical attack will deal double damage, as if the battle was a preemptive attack.

If Cloud does not use Omnislash, Sephiroth will attack Cloud which reduces his HP by 31/32, to which Cloud will instantly counter and win the battle. Cloud is not equipped with aCounterattack Materia in the battle, but counters because Sephiroth's AI script commands him to. This is evident because if Sephiroth is made to miss (not possible in a normal game), Cloud will still counterattack.

If cheat devices, such as Gameshark or Action Replay, are used to keep the player'sMateria, one can use Sense on him to find out that Sephiroth has negative infinity Hit Points. Regardless of this, any attack, so long as it does not miss, even using the Steal command, will defeat Sephiroth.

Sephiroth has only one attack in his disposal, which depletes all of Cloud's health, leaving him with negative infinity HP. It is classified as a magical attack, and thus will never critical.

If Cloud enters the battle with 7,777 HP, the attacking spree phase of the All Lucky 7s status will not activate.

While it is impossible to get Game Over in this battle, it is possible to hang the game in an infinite loop via a cheating device. If one is to set something else than a weapon as Cloud's weapon (a Protect Ring, for example), Cloud's regular attacks will miss. When Sephiroth slashes Cloud and he counterattacks, he will miss, and Sephiroth will keep on attacking Cloud, but his every attack deals less and less damage until he is doing 0 HP damage every hit.

Maybe you're missremembering something?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Perhaps because I never got to that point in the fight.

Remember his ugly-ass first phase? With Meteor and all of that? Yeah, my party would get OHKO'd by that. They also did, on average, 2-3k damage to him. I never made it to the cinematic portion of that fight. My highest level character was Cloud at 58, lol. I was rocking some seriously underdeveloped Materia at the time, too.

I don't think my recall is that bad. I'm oldman, but not that old, man.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Remember his ugly-*** first phase? With Meteor and all of that? Yeah, my party would get OHKO'd by that. They also did, on average, 2-3k damage to him. I never made it to the cinematic portion of that fight. My highest level character was Cloud at 58, lol. I was rocking some seriously underdeveloped Materia at the time, too.

Smooth Criminal
At least you didn't use Knights of the Round in the battles beforehand... right?

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

Remember his ugly-*** first phase? With Meteor and all of that? Yeah, my party would get OHKO'd by that. They also did, on average, 2-3k damage to him. I never made it to the cinematic portion of that fight. My highest level character was Cloud at 58, lol. I was rocking some seriously underdeveloped Materia at the time, too.

Smooth Criminal
Ah sorry, classic misunderstanding.
I was talking exclusively about that final final battle that you cannot loose. Of course, if you never made it there, you wouldn't have any way of knowing.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
The name of this thread has me picturing all of us at the 7th Heaven Bar.
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is off in the corner drinking bourbon on the rocks, Tri Knight Tri Knight is playing the pinball machine, trying to beat the high score Kuraudo Kuraudo set last night. Drakonis Drakonis , Hanku Hirru Hanku Hirru , meleebrawler meleebrawler and I are sitting at the bar, amiably arguing about the best way to breed a golden Chocobo.

I like it here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom