• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The victory fanfare heard in Cloud's trailer is actually a remix, so yes. Most likely. There's also a chance that the part after the fanfare itself will replace the Smash 64 character select music that usually plays after the fanfares.
They at least have it in that remix.
That would be an awesome touch!

Please, Sakurai! Do it!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
The victory fanfare heard in Cloud's trailer is actually a remix, so yes. Most likely. There's also a chance that the part after the fanfare itself will replace the Smash 64 character select music that usually plays after the fanfares.
They at least have it in that remix.
I hope so. It would be really awkward if it didn't.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I hope so. It would be really awkward if it didn't.
Well, it could just stop after the fanfare and just flow into the Smash 64 Character select theme.
Which would probably work surpringly well, too.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Using the battle victory pose somewhere else would feel lazy, since it already is a taunt, but it's a batte victory pose. Therefore, it'd be a sin to NOT put as a victory animation.

I kinda want to see one with Tifa, but I doubt that it'd happen...
ike shares a taunt with a victory animation so I can see cloud doing it too

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I think we can all agree that it not only makes sense for Cloud to have his victory pose as a victory pose, but it will just feel right in the eyes of the old school fans.
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else miss being able to pick your victory pose at the end of a match?
EDIT: We actually can choose by holding up, left, or right on the d-pad. The more you know.

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I forgot you could choose a pose...

Dude, you're making me dig into my past; so many Saturday mornings spent watching 4Kidz TV followed by failed attempts to fire a Kamehameha wave in my backyard.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think we can all agree that it not only makes sense for Cloud to have his victory pose as a victory pose, but it will just feel right in the eyes of the old school fans.
It makes too much sense...but what about the other two...

Should we try to guess the other two or just assume that he has only only victory pose? :lol:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really hope his shield pose is the same as when he uses Defend or Block/Cover. (Holds his Buster Sword horizontally straight in front of him as a shield).

As for his other victory poses, I can easily see him using Squall's victory animation as well.
And the traditional YATTA! poses from FF1 through FF6.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Don't know if this was already posted, but someone took a ton of Cloud reactions and threw them all on one screen.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
The hype is all too real. I don't even think Roy Ryu and Lucas comined got this kind of hype.
Well, they where leaked beforehand. One would imagine Ryu would have otherwise had a similiar effect on people.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I still think that Maximillian's reaction was the greatest one that mankind could ever witness...
I really liked his reaction too. He was so insanely hyped, but he also came off as more reserved than most others, in that he didn't literally jump out of his chair and freak out.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I really liked his reaction too. He was so insanely hyped, but he also came off as more reserved than most others, in that he didn't literally jump out of his chair and freak out.
He almost did though.

Also, I loved how he instantly recognized the FF7 opening theme and simply reacted with a "**** you!" :laugh:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
He almost did though.

Also, I loved how he instantly recognized the FF7 opening theme and simply reacted with a "**** you!" :laugh:
Yeah, he was the only one I saw that recognized it. That made it more entertaining to me, coming from someone who had never heard the theme in my life. He actually seemed genuine.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, he was the only one I saw that recognized it. That made it more entertaining to me, coming from someone who had never heard the theme in my life. He actually seemed genuine.
Every single thing he said was gold!

"This is impossible! That trailer is ****ing fake!" was the line that killed me :rotfl:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
As something of an English major, it really bugs me that people today can only express any kind of emotion through obscenities. X(

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As something of an English major, it really bugs me that people today can only express any kind of emotion through obscenities. X(
I dunno, I fail to see anything inherently wrong with that kinda diction when it comes to communicating the levels of excitement that Max was exuding. Not everybody's gonna be eloquent when gripped by an intense moment.

You should only "dress up" your language with given context imo. Here, watch this, and tell me what you think. This video kinda changed my perception on reading, writing, and language as whole.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Yeah, it makes me so ****ing mad! :mad:

:troll:
[Insert slow clap gif here.] Well played.
So I've been thinking, Cloud and the Midgar stage all look finished, but Nintendo have been sticklers for accuracy when it comes to their characters' English voice actors. We may very well just be waiting on Steve Burton to finish recording lines for Cloud.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I dunno, I fail to see anything inherently wrong with that kinda diction when it comes to communicating the levels of excitement that Max was exuding. Not everybody's gonna be eloquent when gripped by an intense moment.

You should only "dress up" your language with given context imo. Here, watch this, and tell me what you think. This video kinda changed my perception on reading, writing, and language as whole.

Smooth Criminal
Yeah, it's more the laziness of it than anything, although I was raised in an emotionally abusive household, so it might be more of a personal thing too.
Edit: Oops, sorry to double post! I'm on my phone, here.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, to kinda further my point, read some of E.E. Cummings' work. He's considered by many one of the greater American poets, and yet... lol

And I guess that's fair, JesseMcCloud JesseMcCloud . I was raised in a similar environment so I can understand the aversion. The laziness, though, isn't quite something I agree with.

You say it like there's a game he loves more than FF7.
He is primarily a fighting game player, lol. He loves 3rd Strike, for example, probably on the same level. Killer Instinct, too.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
He's gone on record to say that he loves Smash in a more casual setting, not a competitive one. It's just not his thing. But yeah, it's probably close to those GOAT levels now with Cloud and Ryu in Smash 4, lol.

Smooth Criminal

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Also, to kinda further my point, read some of E.E. Cummings' work. He's considered by many one of the greater American poets, and yet... lol

And I guess that's fair, JesseMcCloud JesseMcCloud . I was raised in a similar environment so I can understand the aversion. The laziness, though, isn't quite something I agree with.

He is primarily a fighting game player, lol. He loves 3rd Strike, for example, probably on the same level. Killer Instinct, too.

Smooth Criminal
To some degree, I see where you're coming from. But while his subject matter is certainly less-than-family-friendly, you can see there's still a plethora of ways of describing something or expressing pleasure, besides, "oh my ****ing ***! **** this ****ing ****! ****!"
Besides, just relying too much (imo) on just a few words is lazy to me, and grammatically incorrect to boot.
Like I said, I was at a loss for words at the announcement of Cloud too, so I'm not judging. I'm just kind of tired of all the f-bombs, lol.

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Yeah, it's more the laziness of it than anything, although I was raised in an emotionally abusive household, so it might be more of a personal thing too.
Edit: Oops, sorry to double post! I'm on my phone, here.
I can respect that stance based on your experiences.

I tend to swear like a sailor, so my reaction to Cloud's inclusion was very similar to the Doods.

Frankly, I love to swear and find it oddly comforting when others do it. There have been studies that suggest individuals who regularly swear tend to be more honest.

http://www.psych2go.net/people-swear-lot-tend-honest-loyal-upfront-friends/

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As far as the grammatical part of things, again, I implore you to watch that Stephen Fry video I linked earlier. Give it a shot. If you're an English major, and by extension a lover of literature and language and all that, you'll get the gist of it. Language, spoken or not, is a beautifully malleable and individualized thing. The big takeaway: Sure, proper grammar is great and all when you're conducting business or formal affairs, but is it really okay to be so uptight about it in every other respect? Almost prudish, even? There's nothing to defend, to uphold, so why expend energy doing so?

I ****ing swear like a sailor, but I'm also eloquent. I can be both!

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

Smooth Criminal
he has said ff7 was his favorite game of alltime and what started him playing rpgs

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
iirc he's said that about 3rd Strike too, but hey, the biggest thing is that he loves the game.

He loves games, period.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Guess I'm just the Captain America of this bunch.
"Language!"
Changing gears: Steve Burton has said on his Twitter that he's working on several "projects," context implying it's Cloud and Final Fantasy-related, but also that Nintendo hasn't yet approached him in regards to Smash.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
he is probably doing the remake and hopefully doing dissidia as well

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I see three outcomes to this:

A) Steve Burton is lying through his teeth and is recording VO for Cloud
B) Nintendo will keep his Japanese VO
C) Nintendo will pull dialogue from the various games and movie in which Steve voiced Cloud

All three are very likely considering Nintendo brought in Sean Schemmel to read Lucario's lines, even though he hasn't voiced the character since Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Kyle Hebert record new lines for Ryu or did they pull it from SF?

Last edited:
Top Bottom