• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Practicing myself, I noticed that if you DI downwards and slightly at an angle towards Bayo when you she hits you from AFK, you could avoid a lot of followups, which includes Witch Twist. For Witch Twist, SDI is a factor, but DI'ing downwards and away from Bayo can put you in a position to DI the AFK easier (or even outright avoid the move depending on percent and character). She has other followups from that, but it is much less severe and Marthitis can ensue.
First of all, ABK. Second of all, we were talking about offstage, where the goal is to avoid getting carried off the side, rather than the top.

Another question about Witch Twist because the move is janky as hell, people say that it always sends you in the direction Bayo's facing, but looking at the hitboxes, I see no reason it should do so. What's up with that?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
First of all, ABK. Second of all, we were talking about offstage, where the goal is to avoid getting carried off the side, rather than the top.

Another question about Witch Twist because the move is janky as hell, people say that it always sends you in the direction Bayo's facing, but looking at the hitboxes, I see no reason it should do so. What's up with that?
Opps. Thanks for the catch. I not sure exactly about offstage, but I think RHS's and BSD's videos cover that.

Interesting observation on Witch Twist. Maybe the location of the move around Bayo doesn't affect the launch angle (for example, being hit on the back side of Witch Twist), and that the game registers the launch angle depending on the direction Bayo is facing. Just an assumption though.

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Bayo’s “lag” (start up sure, but end lag where??) isn’t a real issue when her hitboxes are the size of a football field.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Bayonetta

I don't know if it's her biggest one, but Bayo has a bad case of Marthritis.
That is somewhat true if Bayonetta cant kill at the right percent from a combo or an edgeguard it can be hard to land a kill unless you get lucky forward throw witch doesn't kill until over 150% with proper di and a random back air

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Interesting observation on Witch Twist. Maybe the location of the move around Bayo doesn't affect the launch angle (for example, being hit on the back side of Witch Twist), and that the game registers the launch angle depending on the direction Bayo is facing. Just an assumption though.
I think it's just because of a weird property of multihitting command dashes (a command dash being a move that moves you, but during which you have no control over your movement - think Mario or ZSS up-B). See, the game uses the attacker's X position to determine how to read an attack's angle when you get hit. For most moves, even ones you can move during, your coordinates track with your character the way they normally would, which is what allows reverse hits to happen. A good example of this would be Mario's nair, shown here: https://struz.github.io/smash-move-viewer/#/v1/mario/AttackAirN

As you can see, despite the fact that Mario can move during Nair, his position is always the same relative to the hitbox. (The character's position is the intersection point of the multicolored L)

For command dashes, though, this doesn't happen, and the character's position stays where it was when the move was started for the duration of it, presumably to prevent people from falling out of them mid-move because of a reverse hit (how it reconciles this when characters get hit out of command dashes, I have no clue). Mario's Up-B shows this very clearly: https://struz.github.io/smash-move-viewer/#/v1/mario/SpecialAirHi/1

The L stays in the same place through the whole move, but Mario doesn't.

Back to Bayo, you may be wondering why any of that matters. After all, Bayo's up-B just goes straight up. The thing is, at the start of the move (https://struz.github.io/smash-move-viewer/#/v1/bayonetta/SpecialAirHi), she moves forward just enough that her X position is behind almost the entirety of the move's hitboxes, meaning the last hit will always send you in the direction she's facing. It appears that you might be able to get hit the opposite way if you're just barely still in the move for the last hit, but I'm not sure that's actually possible.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What was that supposed to tell me lol. I know her frame data and I already conceded the point that her startup is pretty high.

However, you can’t look at it in a vacuum. It’s the same reason why swordies have worse frame data than brawlers: it compensates for their range.

Bayo’s range and absurd hitboxes more than compensate for her startup to the point where it’s not really a pivotal “weakness”. The only area where it actually hurts her is on the ground like The_Bookworm The_Bookworm pointed out...but even then, the reason for that is due to a combination of bad frame data and poor grounded mobility that her hitbox size can’t fully make up for.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
What was that supposed to tell me lol. I know her frame data and I already conceded the point that her startup is pretty high.

However, you can’t look at it in a vacuum. It’s the same reason why swordies have worse frame data than brawlers: it compensates for their range.

Bayo’s range and absurd hitboxes more than compensate for her startup to the point where it’s not really a pivotal “weakness”. The only area where it actually hurts her is on the ground like The_Bookworm The_Bookworm pointed out...but even then, the reason for that is due to a combination of bad frame data and poor grounded mobility that her hitbox size can’t fully make up for.
maybe I should have been more specific her special moves all have a lot of endlag and her ariels all have a lot of landing lag especially her down air which makes her down air not safe to use and her smash attacks all have like 40 frames of endlag which makes them not safe on shield and the landing lag on her specials if she fails a combo and her hitboxes are big but her lag on moves is really bad her only safe move in netural is arguably neutral air

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
and her ariels all have a lot of landing lag
Congratulations, you could not be more wrong. 3 of her aerials have less than 13 frames of landing lag, all save Dair have less than 15. Her landing lag compares only slightly unfavorably to ****ing Zero Suit.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Congratulations, you could not be more wrong. 3 of her aerials have less than 13 frames of landing lag, all save Dair have less than 15. Her landing lag compares only slightly unfavorably to ****ing Zero Suit.
my bad you are right but all my other points still stand

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
This.
What Sheik is good at is pressuring characters that are forced to come back from a horizontal in order to safely recover(:4fox::4falcon::4myfriends:) or others with some sort of gross flaw in their Up B that makes them susceptible to dying off random stray hits(:4kirby::4ness::4diddy::4cloud2:).
She's pretty horrible at harassing characters offstage and outright killing them unless there's some specific tech to do so (like infinite BF clipping DK/Corrin's heads during their Up B).

Also, about :4sheik:vs :4littlemac:.
The matchup was hard until the Sheiks realized our normal optimized combos kill even without a solid finisher. Those standard 45 degree angle Back Air and Forward Air scenarios that are normally used to pressure most of the cast will outright kill Mac as well. So if at any point he gets touched by the wrong side of an aerial, he's at risk of dying. Even when saving his jump. Sour fair > Sour fair > Sweet fair > Sweet fair, for example, true combos and kills Mac around the early 20-30s.
Saddest part is that nowadays most of her combos occur so fluidly that Mac cannot Up B out of them because there's no gap to attack out of hitstun.
Pretty sucky situation for the character.
Shortly after the patch there was argument for it being roughly even but nowadays it is nowhere near that.
Only picked up Sheik a couple of months ago, so I'll agree with your opinion out of my comparative lack of experience. My Sheik is still not even close to being as good as my Cloud. Anyways, I was mostly talking about Mac on FD but the combo you mentioned above is one of my favorites as Sheik. I didn't really want to use it on Mac because Up-B and Up-Smash are scary and Cloud is better in the Mac matchup. Too bad Sheik's best stage and Cloud's worst stage are Mac's best stage by far.

As for everybody else, here's my unpopular opinion: Rosa has an advantage state that's just as good as Bayonetta's. Rosa Up-Air strings and 50-50 are absolutely insane, especially on Dreamland. I've killed people off of the top platform on Dreamland as Rosa at 4%.

Remember when people hated Rosa and Sonic more than Bayo?

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Rosa has an advantage state that's just as good as Bayonetta's. Rosa Up-Air strings and 50-50 are absolutely insane, especially on Dreamland. I've killed people off of the top platform on Dreamland as Rosa at 4%.

Remember when people hated Rosa and Sonic more than Bayo?
friendly reminder luma up air base knockback is 110.
If you didn't know, that's a lot.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
One of the highest BKBs in the game, beaten only by the first hit of multihit UpBs (130-180).

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Port Priority 3 (208 Entrants) (C tier)

1st: Dabuz:rosalina:
2nd: ANTi:4mario::4zss::4metaknight:
3rd: 6WX:4sonic:
4th: Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
5th: SilentRain:4mario:
5th: JaKaL:4sonic::4bayonetta:
7th: Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:
7th: Pokepen:4bayonetta:
9th: Shinkou:4sheik:
9th: Konga:4dk:
9th: Pyreeze:4samus:
9th: Captain L:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:
13th: John Numbers:4wiifit:
13th: Juice:4zss:
13th: Snickeldorf:4gaw:
13th: Big D:4mario::4falcon:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Port Priority 3 (208 Entrants) (C tier)

1st: Dabuz:rosalina:
2nd: ANTi:4mario::4zss::4metaknight:
3rd: 6WX:4sonic:
4th: Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
5th: SilentRain:4mario:
5th: JaKaL:4sonic::4bayonetta:
7th: Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:
7th: Pokepen:4bayonetta:
9th: Shinkou:4sheik:
9th: Konga:4dk:
9th: Pyreeze:4samus:
9th: Captain L:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:
13th: John Numbers:4wiifit:
13th: Juice:4zss:
13th: Snickeldorf:4gaw:
13th: Big D:4mario::4falcon:
Have to admit, Vinnie is doing pretty good this season, even if has not gone to many majors overall. His performance at Glitch 4 confirms it for me. As for Captain L, I legitimately wonder what characters does he think his Jigglypuff can deal with, or is it just for fun.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
something I just realized if captain l gets on the pgr Jigglypuff the worst character in the game will be on the pgr
Except he doesn't main the character, and there is absolutely no reason to do so.

[Edit: to main it.]

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Have to admit, Vinnie is doing pretty good this season, even if has not gone to many majors overall. His performance at Glitch 4 confirms it for me. As for Captain L, I legitimately wonder what characters does he think his Jigglypuff can deal with, or is it just for fun.
It's not characters, it's players (except maybe Ness). Most people don't know the Puff MU because why would they. Take his set vs ESAM. As well as L's been performing lately, ESAM is inarguably the better Pikachu, and he knows the ditto inside and out. So instead of fighting him in a matchup he was good at, he went Puff, guessing that ESAM doesn't have experience in the MU, and it almost worked. Like ESAM said something to the effect of "he would've won had he rested me 2% later game 4" in his Flatiron 3 (or 4, I cant remember which it was and I'm too lazy to look it up) recap.
Except he doesn't main the character, and there is absolutely no reason to do so.

[Edit: to main it.]
Secondaries count for the PGR.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
It's not characters, it's players (except maybe Ness). Most people don't know the Puff MU because why would they. Take his set vs ESAM. As well as L's been performing lately, ESAM is inarguably the better Pikachu, and he knows the ditto inside and out. So instead of fighting him in a matchup he was good at, he went Puff, guessing that ESAM doesn't have experience in the MU, and it almost worked. Like ESAM said something to the effect of "he would've won had he rested me 2% later game 4" in his Flatiron 3 (or 4, I cant remember which it was and I'm too lazy to look it up) recap.

Secondaries count for the PGR.
Mmhmm, Captain L's Jiggs is no slouch either, it's always a surprise to see him bring it out.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Captain L actually defeated ESAM in the ditto once before, but other than that you are right.

At game 5 against ESAM and game 4 against Bestness (in loser's), both of them correctly adjusted to the matchup and made short work of the Puff, while MVD just simply obliterated it. L did try to use it against Chag at Arcane Tournaments, but it ended in utter failure. I feel people are exaggerating his Puff's success.

EMT~

Smash Cadet
At game 5 against ESAM and game 4 against Bestness (in loser's), both of them correctly adjusted to the matchup and made short work of the Puff, while MVD just simply obliterated it. L did try to use it against Chag at Arcane Tournaments, but it ended in utter failure. I feel people are exaggerating his Puff's success.
I think it's less about people overexaggerting his Puff's success as much as it is about people being surprised at Puff getting significant results at all, much less potentially being on the PGR. Not that Puff has has absolutely zero representation outside of Captian L (CrazieCuban, anyone?), but Puff has almost zero representation. And that's on top of the fact that Puff has long been considered the worst character in the game, with good reason. So, the existence of any significant Puff results at all, on top of the potential for Puff to appear on the PGR, is bound to catch people by surprise.

And I wouldn't say MVD obliterated Captian L's Puff. The second game, sure; but Captian L was literally one missed rest away from winning Game 1.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
ok that's what this means but I have another question and also I just got back from infinity war so that's why I haven't been responding

Q&A do you think captain l will be on the pgr or not

I'm from the same region as him so i wonder what you guys think

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
ok that's what this means but I have another question and also I just got back from infinity war so that's why I haven't been responding

Q&A do you think captain l will be on the pgr or not

I'm from the same region as him so i wonder what you guys think
Lets see his PGR'ed results:

Genesis 5 (A): 25th
Frostbite 2018 (A): 65th
SML: Battle for Vegas (A): 13th
Arcane Tournaments 2018 (C): 2nd
Port Priority 3 (C): 9th

Those are the ones I know of so far (if there are ones I missed, they are C tiers that he did not place top 3 in). He seems to have a chance to get top 50, but that Frostbite placing though.

Also, the Smashwiki has finally updated their PGR chart to reflect the actual PGR chart. What does this mean? Easier access to placings and the characters they use.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Lets see his PGR'ed results:

Genesis 5 (A): 25th
Frostbite 2018 (A): 65th
SML: Battle for Vegas (A): 13th
Arcane Tournaments 2018 (C): 2nd
Port Priority 3 (C): 9th

Those are the ones I know of so far (if there are ones I missed, they are C tiers that he did not place top 3 in). He seems to have a chance to get top 50, but that Frostbite placing though.

Also, the Smashwiki has finally updated their PGR chart to reflect the actual PGR chart. What does this mean? Easier access to placings and the characters they use.
it's also noteworthy that he beat Mr R and Mkleo once each as well, and I forget if he got a reset on ESAM or not.
Regardless, those are two very good wins.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
it's also noteworthy that he beat Mr R and Mkleo once each as well, and I forget if he got a reset on ESAM or not.
Regardless, those are two very good wins.
That is true that he did beat those two. If only that was on a A tier event though, but I doubt he beat could Leo again after what he did to him on GF set 2.

He got 3rd at Flairon 3, lost to ESAM 3-2 and then to MVD 3-0. Flairon 3 is not even counted on the PGR.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
That is true that he did beat those two. If only that was on a A tier event though, but I doubt he beat could Leo again after what he did to him on GF set 2.

He got 3rd at Flairon 3, lost to ESAM 3-2 and then to MVD 3-0. Flairon 3 is not even counted on the PGR.
it is a possibility but who knows

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I'm suprised no one has talked about Vinnie's SDI, he only lost a total of 3 stocks to ladder combos out of the 8 games he played vs Zack and Mistake at Glitch 4. And from the friendlies I played with him last week he's just a fundamentally amazing player overall.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Ladder deaths are annoying BECAUSE they're not consistent. They just happen sometimes while she's going for her typical combos which do like 20-40+%

Rizen

Smash Legend
There are many situations where Bayo players go for upB or Nair edge guards instead of a Dair dunk. If you SD with Dair it's your fault for bad spacing; Bayo can safely recovery from it.

Spikes in general are underused, powerful moves. Most characters die from spikes much earlier, like 50%+, than side launching moves. Players get too complacent with things like ledge hang>drop>Bair for edge guarding and end up tacking on 20%ish damage when they could have sealed the stock with slightly more risk. On reason ZeRo was so good is he would jump out and Dair spike opponents.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Everyone has room to grow.
Naw, that's just a mixup. And it's been known for a while, it doesn't really add any new variable to mario's standard combo game except the threat of bair. (Which would not have killed) Hell, if Eon witch twisted instead of Air Dodged, he could've killed Wizzy.

And yea, Bayo's dair is dumb. Though imo largely cause she can check ledge jump with fair, then cancel into dair to cover jump/hang/drop/standard and kill at like 40%

But most bayos aren't so great at ledge coverage cause they don't need to be.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Damn you quick to defend Bayo
Nah Bayo dumb as ****, but it gets exhausting seeing comments like "Bayo's will evolve to become unstoppable" with the perception that all other players are sitting still waiting to die.

Also might as well add that Zenyou 3-0'd Charlie's Bayo last week, who went all Fox against Zenyou this week and took him to game 5 in grands.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Naw, that's just a mixup. And it's been known for a while, it doesn't really add any new variable to mario's standard combo game except the threat of bair. (Which would not have killed) Hell, if Eon witch twisted instead of Air Dodged, he could've killed Wizzy.

And yea, Bayo's dair is dumb. Though imo largely cause she can check ledge jump with fair, then cancel into dair to cover jump/hang/drop/standard and kill at like 40%

But most bayos aren't so great at ledge coverage cause they don't need to be.
*Zenyou

Top Bottom