• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Mario's up-smash comes out on frame 9, Mr. Game & Watch on frame 24 (partial invincibility from frame 4 though). Coming out faster is pretty significant, it makes it that much more likely to hit. G&W's up-smash is good and one of the safest up-smashes, but it's still fairly slow.
I feel like Game & Watch's USmash is better than Mario's in every aread except for killing for that reason. Speed matters when you want to go in for a quick kill. Even though Mario's USmash is weaker it's easier to land kills with it.

Molk

Smash Cadet

It can easily get outranged, especially if Game and Watch is facing away from the opponent.

MK's F-smash has a stupid amount of shieldstun, it has good reach and hitbox placements, and has low ending lag. Game and Watch's kinda relies on the opponent being very close to Game and Watch. The opponent can read an attempt (which can be obvious because again, he has to get a bit up close to hit it) and punish him well. Also, why would the Lucina use a random F-Smash in neutral? Although it is a good move, it doesn't win every situation, and the times where you utilize the invincibility AND punish them is rather rare, especially against good players.
G&W's Usmash and MK's Fsmash have identical damage outputs, and therefore deal identical amounts of shieldstun when they hit shields. G&W's Usmash and MK's Fsmash have identical startup: they both come out on frame 24. Yes, MK's Fsmash has low ending lag, but when you look at the FAFs of both moves, you'll realize that MK's Fsmash has a FAF of 42 and G&W's Usmash has a FAF of 39, meaning G&W's Usmash actually has even *less* endlag in comparison. Considering that, the partial invincibility that G&W has on his Usmash, and the fact that G&W's Usmash has more active frames than MK's Fsmash, and you'll realize that the frame data on G&W's Usmash is basically the same as MK's Fsmash but better. The difference in horizontal range is valid though i guess.

Also, after upsmashing a shield G&W doesn't have much with which to pressure further.
While i'm here i'm also going to point out that this is (imo) not correct. In my experience maining this character i've found G&W's ability to continue to keep the pressure rolling after hitting a shield with Usmash to be pretty good personally. Usmash's shield pushback tends to be significant enough that most options used directly oos will fail to connect (and even if they can in most cases it's a mixup at best, due to just how safe on block the move is), because of how safe on block the move is (+4/-3 as mentioned previously) most, if not all options the opponent might attempt to use to punish out of shield drop are stuffed by Jab. From there, G&W can either go for rapid jab which gets some quick and reliable damage if it hits, or they can stop at Jab 1 (which is only slightly minus on shield itself, so if the opponent simply holds shield here G&W is still in a good position) and attempt to mix up the opponent with options such as Grab, Dash Attack, and Dtilt. Due to the somewhat quick startup of the aforementioned three options, G&W can also get away with going for those options directly after Usmash, although none of them are as safe as simply going for Jab is. If the opponent attempts to choose a defensive option oos instead of an offensive one, he's capable of chasing effectively with say, Dash Attack on roll away for example.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
No, you weren't. Debate requires you to either make or refute an argument, and you did neither. Again, expand on your thoughts. What does it depend on and why?
Cool your jets and let me continue (plus the bluntness is unnecessary).

What value is there in regards to hitting a mobile opponent? Or rather, what other tools do you have to hit a mobile opponent? What I was getting to was that if you already have good ways to track down mobile opponents, then perhaps it isn't that important.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
G&W's Usmash and MK's Fsmash have identical damage outputs, and therefore deal identical amounts of shieldstun when they hit shields. G&W's Usmash and MK's Fsmash have identical startup: they both come out on frame 24. Yes, MK's Fsmash has low ending lag, but when you look at the FAFs of both moves, you'll realize that MK's Fsmash has a FAF of 42 and G&W's Usmash has a FAF of 39, meaning G&W's Usmash actually has even *less* endlag in comparison. Considering that, the partial invincibility that G&W has on his Usmash, and the fact that G&W's Usmash has more active frames than MK's Fsmash, and you'll realize that the frame data on G&W's Usmash is basically the same as MK's Fsmash but better. The difference in horizontal range is valid though i guess.

While i'm here i'm also going to point out that this is (imo) not correct. In my experience maining this character i've found G&W's ability to continue to keep the pressure rolling after hitting a shield with Usmash to be pretty good personally. Usmash's shield pushback tends to be significant enough that most options used directly oos will fail to connect (and even if they can in most cases it's a mixup at best, due to just how safe on block the move is), because of how safe on block the move is (+4/-3 as mentioned previously) most, if not all options the opponent might attempt to use to punish out of shield drop are stuffed by Jab. From there, G&W can either go for rapid jab which gets some quick and reliable damage if it hits, or they can stop at Jab 1 (which is only slightly minus on shield itself, so if the opponent simply holds shield here G&W is still in a good position) and attempt to mix up the opponent with options such as Grab, Dash Attack, and Dtilt. Due to the somewhat quick startup of the aforementioned three options, G&W can also get away with going for those options directly after Usmash, although none of them are as safe as simply going for Jab is. If the opponent attempts to choose a defensive option oos instead of an offensive one, he's capable of chasing effectively with say, Dash Attack on roll away for example.
G&W's up Smash can be a powerful anti air, but it doesn't have the range of Mario's up Smash. I've seen G&W players condition/bait the opponent into putting themselves into a position where they would get hit by it. G&W's and Meta knights up smashes are both quick burst/ko options which is interesting as they both have similar roles.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Or, y'know, players don't know how to play the GnW matchup. He is a very rare character. When's the last time you've found a Game and Watch main on For Glory. He's almost impossible to practice against.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Karna :4sheik: confirmed for Hyrule Saga.

Notable Hyrule Main total so far:

:4sheik:: 8 (Karna, MVL, VoiD, K9, DKHo, Blank, Sinnyboo242, big_mak)
:4link:: 5 (Espeon•CH, Arrow, IzAw, 7, T)
:4tlink:: 9 (Yeti, BasK 3xA, Biddy, Jdizzle, ItsSonic, L.U.C.Y, Zan(?), Ri-Ma, Sigma)
:4ganondorf:: 8 (Bloodynite, Opana, Rickles, MGK, Adom, Pon, Vermanubis, Lord Bahamut)
:4zelda:: 6 (Ven, Nayru, Purple Guy, Diamond, Bonren, Rizeasu)

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

:4tlink:: 9 (Yeti, BasK 3xA, Biddy, Jdizzle, ItsSonic, L.U.C.Y, Zan(?), Ri-Ma, Sigma)
:4ganondorf:: 8 (Bloodynite, Opana, Rickles, MGK, Adom, Pon, Vermanubis, Lord Bahamut)
I bet there will be some upsets to be had at Hyrule saga. Also, good to see some notable reps for the Zelda cast.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Interesting that Mr. R hasn't participated yet. This tournament is already stacked two months before it started! I am still thinking that this saga is going to be a Sheik invasion, but these notable Toon Links though.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This saga still makes me sad realizing there is a really hard chance for certain players here to make it out, specifically for Zelda aand Ganondorf mains.

Rizen

Smash Legend

It can easily get outranged, especially if Game and Watch is facing away from the opponent.

MK's F-smash has a stupid amount of shieldstun, it has good reach and hitbox placements, and has low ending lag. Game and Watch's kinda relies on the opponent being very close to Game and Watch. The opponent can read an attempt (which can be obvious because again, he has to get a bit up close to hit it) and punish him well. Also, why would the Lucina use a random F-Smash in neutral? Although it is a good move, it doesn't win every situation, and the times where you utilize the invincibility AND punish them is rather rare, especially against good players.
Mario's Usmash gets beaten by disjoint too. It's an anti-air Usmash and the range is fine; G&W shifts what would be a hurtbox when preforming it and you can see it has good vertical coverage and decent side coverage. Attacks are canceled by those green whatever bubbles and they last f4-25, which covers the hitbubbles. Character interactions happen all the time and several people already covered how G&W struggles with disjoints in general.

MK's Fsmash actually has pitiful hitbubbles (click 'hitbox active'). He got nerfed pretty hard from his Brawl range. Molk Molk covered the other stuff.

I've seen Leo and other Marcinas throw out Marth's Fsmash for early kills; it's called a read. If I find a video I'll post it but don't want to go out of my way looking. This is splitting hairs anyway; G&W can tank most moves thrown at him. It doesn't have to be Fsmash.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I think if a player see's an F-Smash from Lucina they can react to it. Or if they were already looking for it that could work too. A crouching attack can still cancel the Up-Smash if it connects early enough, seeing as the gif showing his front arm and foot invincibility are airborne during the beginning of the moved and lowered later during the move.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you can't react to something like that.
Frame 10, so it's in the semi-reactable zone where the fastest can react and the average can't (~frames 8-15). Not likely that anyone could react with a frame 4 invincibility move, though, without a read.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Frame 10, so it's in the semi-reactable zone where the fastest can react and the average can't (~frames 8-15). Not likely that anyone could react with a frame 4 invincibility move, though, without a read.
7 frames of input delay, too. You can't react to a Lucina fsmash.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
It's not terrible, but it's far from minimal. Would you say Corrin's Dsmash has minimal endlag?
Probably, i believe it's faster than her other Smashes. Her f Smash covers more range in front of her and her up Smash is a good anti air with a sweet spot. Kamui's down Smash has moderate endlag.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
No, no one can react to frame 10 moves. For one, those reaction time numbers come from situations where the person reacting was specifically looking for whatever stimulus they were supposed to be reacting to. When you don't expect something, you can't react to it nearly as quickly. For another, most move's frame 1s are not distinct enough from the character's idle animation for someone to be able to react to their first frame of animation. For a third,

7 frames of input delay, too. You can't react to a Lucina fsmash.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
No, no one can react to frame 10 moves. For one, those reaction time numbers come from situations where the person reacting was specifically looking for whatever stimulus they were supposed to be reacting to. When you don't expect something, you can't react to it nearly as quickly. For another, most move's frame 1s are not distinct enough from the character's idle animation for someone to be able to react to them as fast as possible, and the few moves that do have distinct frame 1s are almost all less than f8. You aren't reacting to Marth's Fsmash, even if you're Leo.
You make a good point, reaction time is something that can be improved though.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Probably, i believe it's faster than her other Smashes. Her f Smash covers more range in front of her and her up Smash is a good anti air with a sweet spot. Kamui's down Smash has moderate endlag.
Her down Smash has a FAF of 54 and is only active till frame 15 so she's essentially helpless for 39 frames all her smashes have a lot of end lag and require hard commits. For comparison Mario's up smash which is considered a "spammy" smash attack has a FAF of 40, active till frame 12 so 28 frames of helplessness.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
You make a good point, reaction time is something that can be improved though.
Not really. Reaction time plateaus at around age 20, and stays consistent from then till middle age, when it starts declining. It's possible to keep your reaction times up and to improve how you react to things, and it's possible to temporarily improve your reaction time with stimulants, but you can't really improve it permanently, so most players' reaction times aren't getting any better.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Not really. Reaction time plateaus at around age 20, and stays consistent from then till middle age, when it starts declining. It's possible to keep your reaction times up and to improve how you react to things, and it's possible to temporarily improve your reaction time with stimulants, but you can't really improve it permanently, so most players' reaction times aren't getting any better.
Pretty much. Also, reaction times in fighting games are given way too much weight. Situational awareness and/or identification of player tendencies coupled with an experiential knowledge base leads to anticipation/reaction scenarios which can also lead to predictions.

Good reaction time can certainly help in certain situations, but ultimately, fighters are based on mind games. The skill to condition your opponent, and your skill to anticipate and react optimally will always win out.

It’s why Daigo still beats down newer, younger players in an FT10 setting.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Pretty much. Also, reaction times in fighting games are given way too much weight. Situational awareness and/or identification of player tendencies coupled with an experiential knowledge base leads to anticipation/reaction scenarios which can also lead to predictions.

Good reaction time can certainly help in certain situations, but ultimately, fighters are based on mind games. The skill to condition your opponent, and your skill to anticipate and react optimally will always win out.

I have no clue on who Diago or FT10 is, but I feel that reaction times and mindgames are both essential in your gameplan in any fighting game.

The main reason of this comment is the announce that Glitch 4 (4/28/18) has been put into the PGR chart. It is so far a C tier event, but it may change.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Reading/knowing your opponent is more important than reaction time, as well as having good fundamentals and an understanding of the core mechanics of the game in question. Daigo is godlike, man has been playing fighting games for years, he really knows the ins and outs of the FGC.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
i hope that with the release of smash 5 we get an entirely new viewer-base on this site
the rookie users that have frequented this page are absolutely dreadful and most likely push those with actual quality content onto other platforms
every page may as well be 5 posts long at this point due to the sheer amount of multiple year old regurgitated information
i'll give you an example
Anti is really a jack of all trades type of player, he is known for his multitude of counterpick characters.
what exactly is the point of this post? it reads like a 0 depth wikipedia summary

i didn't bother making a post on it back when everyone else said they're not planning to contribute any longer, but if you never see another post from me again i want you to know that this sort of mediocrity is why

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
i hope that with the release of smash 5 we get an entirely new viewer-base on this site
the rookie users that have frequented this page are absolutely dreadful and most likely push those with actual quality content onto other platforms
every page may as well be 5 posts long at this point due to the sheer amount of multiple year old regurgitated information
i'll give you an example

what exactly is the point of this post? it reads like a 0 depth wikipedia summary

i didn't bother making a post on it back when everyone else said they're not planning to contribute any longer, but if you never see another post from me again i want you to know that this sort of mediocrity is why
I get your point, but Prince Koopa Jr. was supporting on what I said about ANTi.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I have no clue on who Diago or FT10 is, but I feel that reaction times and mindgames are both essential in your gameplan in any fighting game.

The main reason of this comment is the announce that Glitch 4 (4/28/18) has been put into the PGR chart. It is so far a C tier event, but it may change.
FT10 stands for first to ten, and Daigo is a beast. Most notably, he 10-0'd Xian, the EVO 2013 winner, in one of these matches in 2013, then 10-2'd Infiltration, who later won EVO 2016, a couple months later.

Edit: He's also one of the oldest professional SF players, which is why Minordeth brought him up.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
In response to FeelMeUp: This thread is for people who follow the metagame/have a good grasp on it, in order to make predictions about where the meta and certain chars are going. So it would make sense that people should lurk for awhile before posting here (and I encourage that strategy too). However, I don't think the latest rookie wave is that bad, compared to the end of last tier list/ the beginning of this most recent tier list. I see some users improving a bit and educating themselves (as opposed to some previous rookie posters who didn't, or some regulars who just don't learn)

Edit: I don't post here all the time but am constantly checking this thread (if I ever need to dispell Ryu inaccuracies). I greatly appreciate the recent G&W discussion and hope it can continue

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
In response to FeelMeUp: This thread is for people who follow the metagame/have a good grasp on it, in order to make predictions about where the meta and certain chars are going. So it would make sense that people should lurk for awhile before posting here. However, I don't think the latest rookie wave is that bad, compared to the end of last tier list/ the beginning of this most recent tier list. I see some users improving a bit and educating themselves (as opposed to some previous rookie posters who didn't)
Which again, makes me upset that our discussions, good points, or tracking meta advancements (which I need to finish up soon btw), are not getting over the website's walls.
This is probably the one of the least toxic places in Smash Bros social media, if not THE least toxic.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, the Smash Discords aren't toxic at all. At least the Fox Discord and Marcina Discords aren't toxic. However, to keep this post relevant, I'll say this: Game N' Watch is not necessarily a bad character, however, he doesn't have many positives either, making him a solid Mid-tier by my definition. GnW has quite a good neutral game and advantage state, and is one of the only characters to have useful windboxes (although not really in higher levels of play). Add a fantastic Up-Smash and you basically get a weird mix of Mario, Diddy, and Mewtwo, but yet he remains worse than any of the aforementioned characters. Why? Well, unlike Mewtwo, or Diddy, or Mario, GnW has a really hard time killing. While it can be argued that Diddy does too, at least Diddy has a kill confirm, while GnW does not. On top of this, he is light and floaty, instantly making him fall prey to the pocket MK's out there. GnW also has a horrible disadvantage state, because while all of his aerials are disjointed, none are disjointed to the point of him contesting the sword characters, who all beat him, even Roy. Rage hurts GnW almost as much as Sheik, as he loses his better combos and as a super-lightweight, he will die before he can get rage. As a result of GnW's glaring flaws, it can be concluded that while GnW is a Mid-Tier, the current view of him is most likely due to matchup inexperience, as good GnW players are very rare, making it nigh-impossible to practice the true GnW matchup. As a result, GnW is a character that benefits from its rarity, as, if it were more common, it could suffer from people learning the matchup.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Game & Watch doesn't mind rage too much, since he actually has strong moves to abuse it with and he doesnt have the stage-long combos that Sheik does. It can also cut significant percent off of Toot-Toot kill time.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
because while all of his aerials are disjointed, none are disjointed to the point of him contesting the sword characters, who all beat him, even Roy.
Roy's disjoints are barely worse than Marth's. Sure, he gets less reward for spacing (except that's not even necessarily true because Roy's sourspots are often more effective combo starters than his sweetspots and Roy's combo game is better than Marth's), and sure, many of his moves have shorter range than Marth's, but Roy shouldn't be the posterchild for bad disjoints. You're thinking of Pit.

we're still saying this in 2018

this is the darkest timeline
I don't think Mario really struggles to kill. Granted, he's not good at it, but he has a decent killthrow and bair in neutral, and usmash in advantage.

Well, unlike Mewtwo, or Diddy, or Mario, GnW has a really hard time killing.
I don't know where you're getting that idea from. G&W has plenty of ways to kill. Fair, uair, ftilt, and dtilt all kill at reasonable %s from onstage, and while fair is the only one of those that's super useful in neutral, all of the rest have applications in G&W's advantage. Speaking of advantage, G&W is even better at killing via edgeguards, with bair and up-B offstage killing rather early. And that's not even mentioning Toot-Toot (personally I think it should be called Tuturu), a very powerful 50/50 (it's a 50/50, right?). G&W has better kill power than Mario does, and isn't too far behind Mewtwo.

GnW also has a horrible disadvantage state, because while all of his aerials are disjointed, none are disjointed to the point of him contesting the sword characters, who all beat him, even Roy.
"Game and Watch has terrible disadvantage because his aerials lose to a very specific subset of characters." ****, I guess Instant Pin must be terrible. After all, the fastest characters in the game can punish it.

Sarcasm aside, G&W has good airspeed and air accel, a good airdodge, and a bunch of big, long-lasting hitboxes that don't extend his hurtboxes and are thus good at covering landings. I fail to see the problem. Edgeguarding is the same way.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
"Game and Watch has terrible disadvantage because his aerials lose to a very specific subset of characters." ****, I guess Instant Pin must be terrible. After all, the fastest characters in the game can punish it.
You do realize Pin being punishable is the reason it generally doesn't get used much in neutral, right? It's an amazing punish and coverage option, or for when you feel like you've conditioned your opponent enough.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
J0eyboi J0eyboi Toot-toot is true at certain percents for all characters, but it fails to go into a 50/50 state after that because of how UAir works. It does require reading DI and knowing how to jump to get the most off of it, though. Molk Molk knows more about it than I do.

Top Bottom