• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

D

Deleted member

Honestly, please do not ban Bayonetta.

I said this before, but the only thing that is remotely ban worth is if they are too dominate and are considered "A master of all". Brawl MK was and only had one flaw. Bayonetta can be considered one, but she has too many flaws. Bayonetta is not considered too dominate at all. I think the reason why people want to ban her is because she is annoying. There are ways to fight Bayonetta.
This is a video of how to kind of counter Bayonetta ( prepatch ).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, please do not ban Bayonetta.

I said this before, but the only thing that is remotely ban worth is if they are too dominate and are considered "A master of all". Brawl MK was and only had one flaw. Bayonetta can be considered one, but she has too many flaws. Bayonetta is not considered too dominate at all. I think the reason why people want to ban her is because she is annoying. There are ways to fight Bayonetta.
This is a video of how to kind of counter Bayonetta ( prepatch ).
I know how you feel, honey. But the problem is no counter-play is a certainty against her when she has things like Bat Within and Witch Time in her repertoire that can thwart your efforts.

Given my man Mistake's performance at Genesis 5, it is no wonder the lot of us here are so serious about banning her despite results. Somehow, this kind of discussion is convincing me, a 56-year-old non-competitive female Smasher, to stop defending :4bayonetta2:. No matter what, though, I still love her. Whatever the competitive community decides on, I shan't protest.

Just keep the faith, man. No one has made a hasty decision about this yet. :)

Sayonara :kirby:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I can't discredit a guy for running with a motif with sprinkles of hyperbole and exaggeration.
They're powerful and effective.
Love it.

A few thoughts and opinions and considerations later.
Brawl Meta Knight and Smash4 Bayo are very difficult to compare. The areas of which people have issues are similar in some ways, but very different in others.
One gets caught up in how discourse is going very easily and often stays within that paradigm for ease's case, not necessarily for appropriate argument's sake.

Bayo and MKs positions as no.1 both in data and tier, near impervious recovery/edge options and large selection of powerful and unique options (being able to fly around and hurt you while doing it); obviously not to the same extent/power level, is about it when it comes to overall comparisons.
Certain tools produce similar game patterns, and of course they both have animosity towards them. My aim in comparing them has mostly been in consideration of different game contexts - it is uncanny how many parallels to the arguments and emotions from all sides exist between MK and Bayonetta, actually it's absolutely frikken terrifying. The numbers are different, the whys and hows are too, but the results are the same, thus far. However, to be abstract like this is a bit subjective and it's hard to have everyone on the same page for it - rip.

One of the main issues people seem to have with Bayo is lack of interactivity (and maybe self-hurting interaction - like using SDI to survive one potential death at extremely low % only to die from it in a way unexpected to both players; blame rage I guess), something which MK was guilty of through planking and the like, but with tons of rules aimed to curb him and the way the meta went (very few characters played), wasn't primarily seen at high levels of play that far beyond what other characters would do (running the clock was the norm). Many characters are arguably rendered unviable because of said strategies, but this isn't unique to them in either game.

However, it (interactivity) was integral to what constituted hatred towards Ice Climbers. Ice Climbers didn't have a dominant array of options, they just had a small selection of incredibly rewarding tools and a strategy alongside it that essentially negated all their weaknesses ['risk/reward']. MK's risk/reward was fantastic across the array of options he possessed, but they weren't all the best, other characters could shine better than he could (asides from Ice Climbers!!!! ....... and Fox [dammit]); again this is somewhat similar to Bayo but the same could be said for most high/top tiers of any game. Ice Climbers as a character was incredibly unpopular to play and had a large negative stigma for those who did; the emergence of them in any capacity caused outrage which would die down because of inconsistency - but given enough time (and ruleset buffs), which is what we were seeing in 2012 onward, more people were willing to play them and hence the 'dying down' part started to dwindle, things were becoming more obviously a problem that wouldn't take a break in the next week or so when Nairo, Ally, ZeRo (;)) etc [it was actually probably M2K] would win a tournament where ICs wouldn't do as well - ICs never really had the chance to win a national, they didn't have options to deal with certain situations so if you were lucky enough to get them there, then running the clock against them was the only viable strategy which was doable by anyone.

Unfortunately there was no conclusion to ICs and thus little to draw off for it to reflect on now in a 'competitive' view point, especially in comparison to Meta Knight who everyone and their mother's dog knows about and was a problem from day one. MK is NOW considered bona fide 'ban material' to a hyper-majority of us although that was not the case at all during the period of time which it mattered; and this is why I'm bringing the two up for most of my argument - the very comparative feelings and arguments people have, but still a unique situation, one which takes a little bit from two Brawl characters but still can't be directly compared to either. I think people automatically trust me when I say Ice Climbers was ban worthy too, which I appreciate, but they didn't have the data, consistency or number of players; Das Koopa's post about what he would feel about a Bayo ban and specifically why is... what we would have heard for Ice Climbers. Maybe they weren't bannable, but to many who lasted until the end of Brawl's life time, they were the final nail in the coffin.

How they compare sans context differences, I assume it within my arguments, but I think it should be fleshed out a bit. I can keep it lazy and just say Bayo is more like ICs than MK,- and maybe it would be easier than trying to go with familiarity but shrug.
Bayonetta is not a typical smash character in many ways, neither are Ice Climbers. Meta Knight had immediate impacts on the game as his overtuning in contrast to the rest of the cast was extremely blatant. He was easy to pick up and play much like Cloud is/was earlier on.
If you were a 'better player' (v.dubious) than someone else and were having difficulties with your main for any reason, then :metaknight:channeling your hate and anger into the dark side:metaknight: was common. This was further enhanced by the fact our stage list had 2/3rds of it as near auto-wins for MK in like, every match up. This accessibility allowed people to segue away from their mains and characters they loved to playing MK more and more in tournament, and this is what happened, a lot.
For people here from the beginning of the Smash4, it was exactly the same as what was happening with Diddy Kong.
This isn't just the fault of just MK, this is the fault of the poorer balance across the rest of the cast and the ruleset/mentalities we had at the time of 'everything is ok unless its blatantly obviously not ok! [circle camping]'. In smash4 we have vastly better balance, and there are a lot more options for picks that can do well against most of the cast, including high tiers. We don't have Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Norfair, Brinstar, etc etc legal - which would likely result in people learning a 'stage pocket' - I would say that if this were the case there would be more popularity for those with great recoveries and vertical prowess for those stages - perhaps Bayo, ZSS, etc would be more popular for this purpose. The point is, there was a lot more incentive to start playing MK than there is to start playing Bayonetta.
Ice Climbers chain grabs were discovered relatively early and fluffs of "BAN" could be heard whenever a guy sat down in training mode, learned how to chaingrab MK and Falco, then went to an event spamming grab; a lot of people did this - but very few kept up with it. Bayonetta arguably had a similar splash on release, people sat in training mode and learned the basic ABK into death combo and went to an event spamming side-b and would cause widespread salt (still seems to happen, just the grounded version??), but very few of those people kept up with it. Everyone assumed she would get patched, and although right now we don't expect a patch, I'm sure it held people back for a very long time to committing to the character. People also had committal issues to ICs because you had to deal with stages that were auto-lose for you, and MK and Snake had 'easy' ways to combat grab spam and seemed like brick walls/unwinnable match ups for them (it took years for this to change, by a considerable amount of work by players like 9B and Vinnie - in part to prove ICs were broken; Salem also seems to want to prove this with Bayo and has helped convince people and top players she's at least suspect).

25-30%~ of the points of the character ranking list (linked earlier) was the starting point when it came to MK. And most chars in a top 8 at large tournaments would be MK.
People readily accepted that most of the cast of Brawl was unviable from the get go - Dedede and Falco chain grabs were out there day one, Falco chain grabbed you to the ledge into a guaranteed down air, that's your stock for most of the cast (and I remember sitting down near Fiction at genesis1 as he explained how one needs to SDI falco's dair into the stage and tech to not die from it to a Donkey Kong main, and it was still a very foreign concept to most; a year and a half in - people thought Wario's MU with MK might be close to even at around this time as Fiction maintained dominance over SoCal MKs). Snake was second in the first tier list, yet was considered to have be hard countered by Falco and Dedede.
Idiots (<3) would still be playing Yoshi, Ness, Lucas and Ganondorf (everyone still had some form of meta development), but many were competitively dead on arrival. Imagine if the best player try hards of all your favourite mid or lower characters in Smash4 couldn't and weren't expected to make it out of pools at large events ever? But often still had some success at the local level, or maybe would take a set off Ally's Snake one time (many beautiful times).

But what would MK be like if he had a cohort like Bayonetta's in Smash4? What if instead of a dwindling list of 8ish stages we were still juggling 15+ at the point of Bayo's arrival? How many people would have been willing to migrate to Meta Knight after going 1.5 years into their character considering a saner playing field? ZeRo went from Fox to Diddy during the time Diddy was broken (for that reason), and stuck with him despite feeling other characters were better after patches/dlc. Many long-time top PGR players have dabbled in secondaries, but none have switched character. This can be used [better] by the pro-bayo side probably, but it looks like people tend to be stubborn. At a certain point in Brawl, there wasn't new MKs rising up from the ashes EVER at high level, the exception being Nairo. At this point of the game we're seeing Bayos rise up despite the 1.5 year lag fall and it's seemingly all new players thus far, will the trend continue like ICs?
Meta Knight was the hardest match up for many characters, but not all characters, especially at 2 years into the game's life time. There was a lot of dumb and broken stuff in the game available to many characters to allow this to happen. In the long run more and more characters would find their worst mu becoming MK or ICs (Snake would go from Falco/Dedede being 'hard counters' to even, due to consistent counterplay being found).

The trend that is apparently common between the two, but slower - growth in % of tournament dominance, animosity towards her, ambivalence towards the game/issue/community (and the likelihood of me going into permanent deja vu hallucinations every time I use social media). The metrics for which is suitable for one being a problem wouldn't be the same, but % dominance would still be a point for a 'competitive' argument.
But as I've also said, it still isn't an appropriate time to ban her. Instead of the darkest, we might be going down the iciest time line instead, outcome uncertain (8). Lack of action indefinitely is the norm and poses a similarly catastrophic end (probably will get Smash5 before we reach that point? or at least the announcement, if that's any relief?) but maybe not at all.

But something important - a general observation of most top level players losing to Bayonetta except for one person (this isn't a consistent thing, not remotely a trend yet, chill), hence something is ok - is one fallacy we should try our best to avoid.

This took forever, #_#
I hope it's an okay read! Time to eat/die.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Not that I’m advocating this, but rather than banning the character, what about just banning Witch Time?

Yes, I’m aware of the pitfalls of banning specific things, especially singular moves.

I’m aware that her risk reward is so high because of her conversions, but the main other reason is that Witch Time is a constant presence. I agree with @Myollnir that it is the best move in the game, and Bayo’s most OP option.

Theoretically, taking it out of the equation weakens Bayo’s ability to camp as hard, to pressure as freely, and to mount comebacks off of stray hits and pokes. It would take away the frustration factor that “she got a lucky Witch Time to win.”

Plus, it allows her player base that she has established, to stay.
This is a thing I was thinking about a long time ago and even tried to propose the idea on Reddit but got downvoted to hell, maybe wrong choice of word, perhaps.

Now, bear with me: banning a move is not feasible because even if the Bayo player is in good coscience, missinputs are a thing.

However, what we can do is trying to impose a factual and non-convoluted (at least not too much to the point that players have to resort in replays or maths) limit to the move. Ledge grab limit in Brawl was exactly that and there were no way around it: the game went to timeout? Let's check if you were purposefully camping the ledge to win with a strategy no character can beat. The number is written at the end of the game, no need to check other things outside the match. Simple and straight-forward.

That said, I currently have no idea how to implement this but I'm sure more people can come up with something interesting if thinking collectively. The "best" idea I came up with was restricting Witch Time punishes: if the opponent is under effect of "slowdown", the player can't be damaged until the end of the effect and Smash attacks can't be charged.
This is not perfect, and even I am concious of that, and I incurred in some (many) criticism. However I can rationalize them:
  1. This affects Bayo and Bayo only. Yeah, it is true... to an extent and with the use of semantics. Noticed how I didn't say effect of "Witch Time" but effect of "slowdown". Bayo isn't the only thing in this game giving that effect. It is the only character, however, and the only thing in competitive ruleset. So, yeah, Bayo is only affected because every other thing is banned because of other reason. Also, if the problem is Bayo herself, I don't see why she shouldn't be the only one affected by a clause.
  2. People can missinput and buffer input after Witch Time. Ok, I know that people can mess up big time. But, you're telling me that someone cannot react in time to Bayonetta saying "So close!" and the purple effect around the opponent's character after having pressed purposefully or at least conciously the B button, at least, and almost one second of lag?
  3. People can just wait for the effect to end and then combo. This is not a criticism that people brought up but a hole I found myself. I think that having at least the time to prepare for the punished or not dying to a Smash attack at 70% can be enough. You can possibly shield at the end of Witch Time.
This is just speculation. Even I don't think this is a solution but this is what I came up in my spare time and I hope this is food for thoughts.

In conclusion, I think Witch Time is what makes Bayo broken. The constant fear of dying just for safely poking her at possibly any percent is too much because she ignores neutral and makes her camping way too strong. Finding your way through her hitboxes is challenge per se but dealing with Witch Time the moment you can possibly find a opening is an option out of this game.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
This is a thing I was thinking about a long time ago and even tried to propose the idea on Reddit but got downvoted to hell, maybe wrong choice of word, perhaps.

Now, bear with me: banning a move is not feasible because even if the Bayo player is in good coscience, missinputs are a thing.

However, what we can do is trying to impose a factual and non-convoluted (at least not too much to the point that players have to resort in replays or maths) limit to the move. Ledge grab limit in Brawl was exactly that and there were no way around it: the game went to timeout? Let's check if you were purposefully camping the ledge to win with a strategy no character can beat. The number is written at the end of the game, no need to check other things outside the game. Simple and straight-forward.

That said, I currently have no idea how to implement this but I'm sure more people can come up with some interesting if thinking collectively. The "best" idea I came up with was restricting Witch Time punishes: if the opponent is under effect of "slowdown", the player can't be damaged until the end of the effect and Smash attacks can't be charged.
This is not perfect, and even I am concious of that, and I incurred in some (many) criticism. However I can rationalize them:
  1. This affects Bayo and Bayo only. Yeah, it is true... to an extent and with the use of semantics. Noticed how I didn't say effect of "Witch Time" but effect of "slowdown". Bayo isn't the only thing in this game giving that effect. It is the only character, however, and the only thing in competitive ruleset. So, yeah, Bayo is only affected because every other thing is banned because of other reason. Also, if the problem is Bayo herself, I don't see why she shouldn't be the only one affected by a clause.
  2. People can missinput and buffer input after Witch Time. Ok, I know that people can mess up big time. But, you're telling me that someone cannot react in time to Bayonetta saying "So close!" and the purple effect around the opponent's character after having pressed purposefully or at least conciously the B button, at least, and almost one second of lag?
  3. People can just wait for the effect to end and then combo. This is not a criticism that people brought up but a hole I found myself. I think that having at least the time to prepare for the punished or not dying to a Smash attack at 70% can be enough. You can possibly shield at the end of Witch Time.
This is just speculation. Even I don't think this is a solution but this is what I came up in my spare time and I hope this is food for thoughts.

In conclusion, I think Witch Time is what makes Bayo broken. The constant fear of dying just for safely poking her at possibly any percent is too much because she ignores neutral and makes her camping way too strong. Finding your way through her hitboxes is challenge per se but dealing with Witch Time the moment you can possibly find a opening is an option out of this game.
Yeah, witch time is a really powerful move, a good Bayonetta player will usually get a full combo off of it, or even setup for a kill at higher percentages.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
When I watched top 8, I noticed that MKLeo beat Mistake in winners. I did not think much of it. I did though constantly, think of all the Heel Slides and Afterburner Kicks I saw, mostly Heel Slide.

I thought that if a Bayonetta player ever tries to Heel Slide me from across the stage, that I was going to punish that foolish move with a disjoint before it even touches my character; then I would do my best to rack up enough damage to discourage them to pick that same option again later down the match. If the stage positioning is in my favor, I could even take an early stock.

As for Afterburner Kicks that are used to recover the ledge, I believe that once players get used to the start-up animation of the move, we should easily be able to punish it with whatever anti-air move our character has.

I don't think Witch Time is the best move in the game. As for the best move in Bayonetta's kit, all I have to go off of is what others say here and on Youtube (I only visit Bayonetta Discord to post memes or read others Bayonetta salt).

I think the reason players think Witch Time is over-rated or super strong is that they are still not used to a counter that can easily get kills, stocks, or damage. My reasoning for that comes from how Marth's, Lucina's, Ike's, Kamui's, or Shulk's counters are not commonly seen to take stocks or deal huge damage, add to that, they are rarely used in most match-ups (from my experience) besides if a player believes they will benefit from using counter as a edgeguarding tool.

When on-stage I typically see players use counter while falling down or being juggled and then get punished for it since they used it as a panic option. If I were them, I would use counter a-lot, not just in rare instances. I would use it in place of airdodges, rolls, and shields.

At the times where it is clear that your opponent will land on you with an attack while you are on-stage, counter.

When opponents go for a predictable aerial once they have found a way to put your character into the air; instead of panic airdodging or timing an airdodge well, you can counter instead.
This can also apply to opponents who go for airdodge reads or do tomawk attacks.

A common example I see is this: Ike short hops into a delayed back air meanwhile his opponent is holding shield all the way and just so happens to release shield and get hit by the back air in their attempt to challange the move; the player clearly gave the Ike player what they wanted.

If that were me, I would sit there not holding shield and wait for the back air's start-up animation and then counter it.

I am of the opinion that this can also work vs players who love chucking out smash attacks whereas the commentators always call those hard reads. For starters, they'll never see it coming because once they do it will be too late since they would have already released their smash attack. If they decide to charge it, I can just bide my time, just like them, and ask in my head "are you done yet?". Once they let go of their charge, I may be rewarded with a stock, stage control, or damage when I activate my counter.

Really, I just hope that if a counter method like this is applied it could really help snap players out of their auto-pilot modes. I think players defensive options are usually on auto-pilot, even when they have enough time to react to a move.

Edit: Forgot to mention Grand Finals of Genesis 5 so here it is. It's not much to read.

Mistake was using Afterburner Kicks from almost a full-screen away and MK Leo punished the move with his disjoints. After that he would juggle Mistake across the stage. Judging by that first Afterburner Kick interaction and the following juggle by MKLeo, I already gave the set to MKLeo if Mistake kept playing like he did. I do not think Mistake adapts that well, or rather as you guys put it, he was hard-headed and kept attacking that locked door (this is a metaphor) until it would break open.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
PS: Do people legitimately think Witch Time is the most broken move in Bayo's set? It is indeed a very strong move, but i wouldn't say it's as incredibly good as Witch Twist: A Frame 4 Up-B that combo starts & enables Bayo's potential to kill characters at low% through the fact it can be used several times. Try thinking about taking out Witch Time off of Bayo, then Witch Twist, then tell me which version of Bayonetta is better. I think the answer's fairly obvious.
It is. Witch Time alters neutral. We're used to quick OOS options, we're used to range. The only reason people don't pressure Bayo as hard as they could is because of Witch Time.

You remove that and people would be mashing buttons all over her, and her slow startup on most moves would make her more predictable. The threat of Witch Time forces people to second-guess their pressure and their timing. Even against Salem, who may not even use it once, people fear it.

Mistake uses it more liberally to actively force his opponents to fear him. Witch Twist is a really, really good option, but it doesn't affect everything in nearly the same way as Witch Time.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I'd say Witch Time and Witch Twist are close in terms of her best move but Witch Time would be better, in addition it makes going for frame tight strings (read not combos) risky and like mention above relieves pressure. For example Ness can frame trap Air dodges into the stage on a falling opponent with Uair, Nair or Bair since they frame cancel out of short hop. Against anyone else if my timing is bad they just AD through it and land and get away safely against Bayo if my timing is bad she can WT me for it instead and punish me for trying to punish her.

Obviously you can abuse this against Bayo's who don't mix their WT timing up with patience but on the flip side Bayo knows your going to be more passive and can get away with what she wants by picking another option that you won't be willing to take the risk and cover.

Additionally this means people challenge her less with attacks which makes her rather sluggish frame data less of a issue since your not going to challenge it like you would another character with sluggish frame data like Ike or Shulk.

However I think people should start pressuring her with movement (or the lack of movement) rather than traditional attack pressure. Just standing in a threatening range or EDD around her can cause her to commit to those slower start up options from which then you punish. In addition to heavy grabbing and only not going for too much non guaranteed stuff this is how Leo and to a lesser extend Komo and his Roy won their sets against the Bayos recently.

Nah

Smash Champion
I kind of feel that the reason why Witch Time is often considered to be Bayo's most busted move is because Witch Time punishes the love of hitting buttons that the community in general appears to have harder than anything else in the game.

But she stands to lose a lot more from losing one of Witch Twist or ABK than she does from losing Witch Time. Losing Witch Time would obviously still be a big deal, just not to the same extent as the other two moves. You can apply pressure in ways that don't necessarily involve normals/specials, and she can still just escape your pressure anyway by flying away with WTw+ABK, not to mention that she has her own safe moves to throw out against you too.

WTw+ABK are, together, extremely versatile/multi-functional moves that do as much or more the entire kits of like half the roster. The two moves are designed to work together, so if you take away one of them, Bayonetta loses a lot of what makes her so good. Her advantage and disadvantage kind of seem like they would fall apart, at least to me, if she lost one of them. Witch Time is, at the end of the day, still only a counter.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Q for everyone:
What is your least favorite MU for whatever reason?

Mine is Sheik for Link.
PK boys, Olimar, and Yoshi ( I think the fact that cloud wins them makes me even more frustrated when I lose them lol)
the grapplers come close as well

BSP

Smash Legend
Banning a move is stupid unless you can completely remove it from the game. I don't think I need to explain.
I agree with you, but I feel like playing DA a bit.

How do you feel about how Melee enforces the freeze glitch ban? It basically says "Using squall hammer with the leading climber right after the partner grabs is banned". Brawl did the same thing with MK's infinite dimensional cape. Could we do something similar with Witch time?

As far as this whole Bayo talk (thumbs up to Espy btw, keep it real) goes, nothing is stopping any TO from banning her (or Cloud in doubles) at their events. If their community, whether it is local, regional, national, or whatever, really hates the decision, they simply won't show up. When you show up and enter a tournament, you agree to abide by the TO's rules.

Smash in general acts like it tries to appease some higher authority whenever it comes to rules, but said higher authority doesn't really exist. Nintendo obviously doesn't give us the care that, say, Capcom does with their fighters. Our first move in any tournament is to change the default play type (Time -> Stock) lol.

Unity of course doesn't hurt so we don't have to read giant rulesets when we travel, but I feel like it also allows us to let debatable problems continue, potentially indefinitely (Lylat...).

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
Q for everyone:

Mine is Sheik for Link.
rosaluma@mario. haven't gotten the opportunity to play against rosa often but when i do, it's suffocating and oppressive

the only way the matchup becomes remotely tolerable for me is if i go cloud and my cloud is uh

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
It is. Witch Time alters neutral. We're used to quick OOS options, we're used to range. The only reason people don't pressure Bayo as hard as they could is because of Witch Time.

You remove that and people would be mashing buttons all over her, and her slow startup on most moves would make her more predictable. The threat of Witch Time forces people to second-guess their pressure and their timing. Even against Salem, who may not even use it once, people fear it.

Mistake uses it more liberally to actively force his opponents to fear him. Witch Twist is a really, really good option, but it doesn't affect everything in nearly the same way as Witch Time.
I do get the whole fear factor of attempting to punish Bayo's landings through her having Witch Time, given how hard the punish could be. However, i'm still not getting how that's nearly as pivotal as Witch Twist is: The move being fairly fast already makes it a pretty dumb OoS option that will surely punish most moves with the intent of starting something. But if that was the only thing it did, there wouldn't be much to talk about, just a good move. But as we all know, this move and the ability of being able to use it several times enables the scariest parts of Bayo's advantage state ( Along with some horizontal, less common stuff involving Fair ): The ones that can actually kill you at dumb %s. I could see the argument for Witch Time individually being a stronger move, but on Bayonetta, i'm not really seeing it: Witch Twist along with ABK makes her capable of retreating to the ledge somewhat easily & overall, just mixing up her options well enough, Witch Time acts as an icing on the cake to her already reasonably good disadvantage ( and some pretty dope icing, mind you ). However, in conjunction with Bayo's kit and moves such as DownTilt, UpThrow, UpAir and Side B, Bayonetta is given the potentially strongest advantage state under the right circumstances, as well as a move that individually gives her a fair amount of mixups that strengthens her disadvantage, along with a tool that, through its excellent grounded frame data, will be able to punish a fair amount of moves from other characters in the neutral while offering yourself a combo of your own. I haven't even mentioned how the nature of Witch Twist's hitbox enables planking & all sorts of camping techniques that can be used for all sorts of purposes: From attempting to make your opponent go wild and punish their perhaps unsafe options, or simply timing out your opponent.

Again, try to think, or perhaps just use Bayonetta without Witch Time, then Witch Twist, then share the results with us. I'm fairly confident that the result will be that you'll be doing worse without Witch Twist, and not just for recovering purposes. I have seen a couple of games from the Top Bayonettas where Witch Time wasn't used once. I don't think i've seen one game where Witch Twist wasn't used, and not just for recovery, once again.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I do get the whole fear factor of attempting to punish Bayo's landings through her having Witch Time, given how hard the punish could be. However, i'm still not getting how that's nearly as pivotal as Witch Twist is: The move being fairly fast already makes it a pretty dumb OoS option that will surely punish most moves with the intent of starting something. But if that was the only thing it did, there wouldn't be much to talk about, just a good move. But as we all know, this move and the ability of being able to use it several times enables the scariest parts of Bayo's advantage state ( Along with some horizontal, less common stuff involving Fair ): The ones that can actually kill you at dumb %s. I could see the argument for Witch Time individually being a stronger move, but on Bayonetta, i'm not really seeing it: Witch Twist along with ABK makes her capable of retreating to the ledge somewhat easily & overall, just mixing up her options well enough, Witch Time acts as an icing on the cake to her already reasonably good disadvantage ( and some pretty dope icing, mind you ). However, in conjunction with Bayo's kit and moves such as DownTilt, UpThrow, UpAir and Side B, Bayonetta is given the potentially strongest advantage state under the right circumstances, as well as a move that individually gives her a fair amount of mixups that strengthens her disadvantage, along with a tool that, through its excellent grounded frame data, will be able to punish a fair amount of moves from other characters in the neutral while offering yourself a combo of your own. I haven't even mentioned how the nature of Witch Twist's hitbox enables planking & all sorts of camping techniques that can be used for all sorts of purposes: From attempting to make your opponent go wild and punish their perhaps unsafe options, or simply timing out your opponent.

Again, try to think, or perhaps just use Bayonetta without Witch Time, then Witch Twist, then share the results with us. I'm fairly confident that the result will be that you'll be doing worse without Witch Twist, and not just for recovering purposes. I have seen a couple of games from the Top Bayonettas where Witch Time wasn't used once. I don't think i've seen one game where Witch Twist wasn't used, and not just for recovery, once again.
You're missing the subtle use of Witch Time, I think. Witch Twist is very, very good. But it gets added use because of Witch Time.

Why do people not challenge a planking or camping Bayonetta? Because she moves around with ABK and Witch Twist? Not at all. Because they know there's a chance that they activate Witch Time in an attempt to pressure.

Why are people afraid to punish nair? Because they don't know when it ends, and they don't want to activate Witch Time.

Also, the comparison (remove Witch Time vs Witch Twist) doesn't quite work. I could say similarly - give Sheik Witch Time or Witch Twist. Which one makes her more powerful?

Witch Time is the whole reason her neutral is so good. Without it, characters with disjoints just swing freely. Characters with projectiles just keep throwing them. So on.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Go figure, Bayo is one of the only characters where you can't outright prevent her from using a special in game since her and the other dlc didn't get customs. Like, in a hypothetical world where Sheik needles and Diddy banana were deemed too powerful and needed to be banned, a rule could just be made where they have to use poorer custom versions.

'Banning' Witch Time like the freeze glitch and infinite Dimensional Cape isn't easy since those 2 require rather deliberate inputs. With Witch Time, say you're in the air and try to dabk but you misinput and get Witch Time. Do you forfeit a stock due to a simple misinput? It's not even like pausing since the B button does more than one thing and Witch Time doesn't halt all momentum like pausing does.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
You're missing the subtle use of Witch Time, I think. Witch Twist is very, very good. But it gets added use because of Witch Time.

Why do people not challenge a planking or camping Bayonetta? Because she moves around with ABK and Witch Twist? Not at all. Because they know there's a chance that they activate Witch Time in an attempt to pressure.

Why are people afraid to punish nair? Because they don't know when it ends, and they don't want to activate Witch Time.

Also, the comparison (remove Witch Time vs Witch Twist) doesn't quite work. I could say similarly - give Sheik Witch Time or Witch Twist. Which one makes her more powerful?

Witch Time is the whole reason her neutral is so good. Without it, characters with disjoints just swing freely. Characters with projectiles just keep throwing them. So on.
I think some of these examples do not correlate with the use Bayonetta mains have shown of Witch Time in practice. I've rarely seen Witch Time being the issue that's preventing the people from challenging a planking Bayonetta, but rather, the difficulty of successfully punishing a planking Bayonetta through the nature of Bayonetta's hitbox on Witch Twist, and the risk involved with trying to stop Bayonetta, which could involve Witch Time, but generally involves her edgeguarding tools, which feature other prominent moves such as her Nair, and once again, her UpB.

As for Nair, i'm assuming you're talking about platform camping & nairplanes more than anything: It goes along the idea of landing options & the fact that generally, Witch Time makes a state that's usually advantageous for a fair amount of characters, as in being below a character, more of a gamble people wouldn't be willing to take, as even the risk/reward for an eventual right guess of Witch Time coming could lead into something big for them ( Which is a fair weakness of the move that goes along the idea that it isn't as overwhelmingly good as Witch Twist in my opinion, but i digress ).

I do understand very well the strengths of Witch Twist, and numerous other assets that haven't been mentioned, like the fact that characters that are usually forced to recover low & have an hitbox on their recoveries are bound to get crushed by Bayonetta offstage, but even with all of the strengths in mind, all of the pressure & fear it creates within every opponent's mind, Its vulnerability & versatility that can only go so far for a counter like move, I do not believe that it can be elevated as Bayonetta's best move, especially when Witch Twist is there: A move that defines & shapes every state Bayonetta will be going through, and strengthens it significantly. I'm not saying Witch Time isn't doing that, but as you've just kind of mentioned, it's more subtle, it will have consequences on the player you're facing, but it's still up to the Bayo to make something out of the mental pressure this enables. Players like Salem have indeed shown that they're capable of doing so, and that's why the move's pretty ****ing good.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Can someone explain the squall hammer ban? What did Ice Climbers gain from that?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Can someone explain the squall hammer ban? What did Ice Climbers gain from that?
It renders the opponent completely immobile. They can't move at all, you can't even kill them. There's no knockback.

Doesn't really matter in the long run, Ice Climbers are just going to Wobble you anyway haha.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
It renders the opponent completely immobile. They can't move at all, you can't even kill them. There's no knockback.

Doesn't really matter in the long run, Ice Climbers are just going to Wobble you anyway haha.
Except that in a wobble, there is a chance you can escape it if the opponent messes up (which happens with everyone). When they do the Freeze Glitch: no chance.

Also, the victim can still SDI each hit, with may put him out of grab's range (a grab from the IC's will put them out of this state) and be permanently stuck there, which may happen anyways in stages like Pokemon Stadium.
When Heew says that wobbling (and the brawl infinite chaingrab in my opinion) is nothing in comparison to the Freeze Glitch, he is not lying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have missed some stuff, but I am back.
Yeah the problem with that chart is certain top/high tier character players tend to be overly optimistic. It has Sonic as Link's worst MU.

Q for everyone:

Mine is Sheik for Link.
Off-topic:
My two most annoying match-ups for Cloud are :4pikachu:and :4bayonetta: ( tied ).
These are probably the only two annoying characters for me ( Before you say I forgot Sheik, I have quite an experience with the Sheik match up ).
Good Pikachu players are good at edge-guarding Cloud and intimidating them with their good combo game. I could fight Bayonetta, but she is a little bit difficult for Cloud even. I mean sure, Cloud has one of the best mobility, but Bayonetta is just good at countering Cloud ( it is easy to do her zero-to-death on Cloud as he is a fast faller ).

I do agree with MKLeo and Dabuz that Bayonetta can be difficult to fight. Does Nairo think that?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
I’ve climbers could freeze you in place, rack up as much damage as they want, and the only way to break out was for them to grab you.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Except that in a wobble, there is a chance you can escape it if the opponent messes up (which happens with everyone). When they do the Freeze Glitch: no chance.

Also, the victim can still SDI each hit, with may put him out of grab's range (a grab from the IC's will put them out of this state) and be permanently stuck there, which may happen anyways in stages like Pokemon Stadium.
When Heew says that wobbling (and the brawl infinite chaingrab in my opinion) is nothing in comparison to the Freeze Glitch, he is not lying.
I'm aware. I support Wobbling being legal.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shaya Shaya

I don't think League of Legends is a good example on the sole basis that every year they release patch notes just for their competitive scene (Worlds and LCS I believe). They even outright say it at the beginning of the patch notes. It's not meant for the rest of the community.
If they've started to do patches that only take affect within specific 'tournament settings', that's hilarious/up to them.
Day late and almost 3 pages back, so I'll keep it short since this is a Smash thread not league.

I still very much keep up with league from watching NA/EU LCS, LPL, LCK, watching a lot of pro players still, play 2/3 games everyday by myself and watch a lot of informative vids and LastShadow stuff.

Riot does plenty of patches still based on Soloq. The most extreme random ass examples of big nerfs they've done is nerfing volibear almost 2 years ago and Corki not even 2 months ago when they already hit corki hard with a nerf hammer before this one. (to give shaya, my brethren Shaco player a bit of depression, they've been smacking shaco with nerf after nerfs too to the point barely anyone plays him. Only pink ward does who still has a hard time making ap shaco top work despite his mastery of the champ)

Even right now, using the volibear vid as an example (season 6) they're Still flipflopping with shoving nerfs down kat's throat right now (season 8) even though she's of course only used in soloq and hasn't been relevant in pro play in almost 5 years.

I feel like the patches that Nintendo did for Smash 4 was completely 98% for competitive play. Only ones of course that didn't matter was the customs buffs/nerfs, guess because one EVO had customs so "oh jeez, they gonna play customs from here on out, nerf/buff some balance team!"
Or, if you forgot somehow NG, the patch where only Bayo got nerfs?

Side-note/Slight comparison and thoughts of Bayo: Zoe is absolutely busted the last couple months since Pre-season started and is the equivalent of Bayo (sleepy trouble bubble is literally witch time) and they've given her slap on the wrist "nerfs" every patch since her release that still don't address her being able to legitimately 1 shot everyone, including Tanks at times.
BUT just like Bayo, I like playing as her here or there. Is she (zoe/bayo) toxic for the scene, **** yes she is. Should we ban her (Zoe) we do, over and over to the point it's like this.

But of course smash isn't league so we can't ban out characters but stages at least to minimize damage against bayo (lylat/tri-plats for example)

Currently Zoe's 50% banrate, used to be 61% before the last nerf so it's gone done almost 11% (leaving out the .?%) which is good cause people are slowly figuring her out. The counterplay being to play assassins against her like Kassadin or zed.
For Bayo I wouldn't say she has counters, and "just sdi" meme doesn't really work with her cause people are still getting caught and dying or because they do SDI they die (mistake vs Nairo a very good recent example). But bayo is basically held back by the player, I don't think she losses any MUs like brawl MK and she's possibly slightly better than him though people will bring up results of course that can always change with time.

If anything, let's try to ban double cloud or cloud entirely from doubles before getting onto Bayo. She's at 10% usage in the entire community so far and it'll definitely grow. Time will change for the worse. /league and bayo rant

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I think there are two reasons Bayo hasn’t seen a consistent uptick in switches like Brawl MK had. The main reason is playability.

By “playability” I mean that intuitive feeling for how accessible a character is for the general user base. How that character moves around, how their options feel in conjunction with that movement, etc.

Every character is designed to have a minimum level of playability, or else no one would use the the character your team spent months making. However, it exists on a spectrum. Characters like Cloud and Mario were explicitly designed to feel accessible and fun. Their playability is high. Rosa would inhabit the other side of the spectrum.

I remember when Bayo was released, and some common reactions from players were that she felt “awkward” or “slow.” This sense of how she handled carried through the first year and probably inhibited her adoption despite her strengths.

- A prime example: Zero said that he ultimately didn’t enjoy playing her, which contributed to his lack of motivation to switch.

She seemed designed to be more of a niche character that would resonate with some, and not so much with others.

Which leads to the second reason:
Top players could still win consistently without her.

Cloud ended up becoming something like Brawl MK because Cloud is extremely powerful and his playability is high.

Switching to Bayo to win wasn’t seen as necessary. Zero, at retirement, still had about an 80% win rate against the top players in the world. Nairo, Leo, and Dabuz were up in the 70% range on par with Salem, the best Bayo.

Some players have dabbled in Bayo, Tweek being the main one. Dabuz most recently, but the success is somewhat mixed.

But really, the reason pocket Clouds were so persistent rather than Bayo was down to those two factors. Cloud is just more playable.

As a personal note, I find Brawl MK way more fun to play than Bayo. I still find her awkward as hell to use.

Having a mass top player immigration to Bayo would have to overcome the fact that she just doesn’t feel good to use to a lot of players. And ultimately, if you don’t like playing your character, your motivation to lab and get better with them would be hard to summon.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Day late and almost 3 pages back, so I'll keep it short since this is a Smash thread not league.

I still very much keep up with league from watching NA/EU LCS, LPL, LCK, watching a lot of pro players still, play 2/3 games everyday by myself and watch a lot of informative vids and LastShadow stuff.

Riot does plenty of patches still based on Soloq. The most extreme random *** examples of big nerfs they've done is nerfing volibear almost 2 years ago and Corki not even 2 months ago when they already hit corki hard with a nerf hammer before this one. (to give shaya, my brethren Shaco player a bit of depression, they've been smacking shaco with nerf after nerfs too to the point barely anyone plays him. Only pink ward does who still has a hard time making ap shaco top work despite his mastery of the champ)

Even right now, using the volibear vid as an example (season 6) they're Still flipflopping with shoving nerfs down kat's throat right now (season 8) even though she's of course only used in soloq and hasn't been relevant in pro play in almost 5 years.

I feel like the patches that Nintendo did for Smash 4 was completely 98% for competitive play. Only ones of course that didn't matter was the customs buffs/nerfs, guess because one EVO had customs so "oh jeez, they gonna play customs from here on out, nerf/buff some balance team!"
Or, if you forgot somehow NG, the patch where only Bayo got nerfs?

Side-note/Slight comparison and thoughts of Bayo: Zoe is absolutely busted the last couple months since Pre-season started and is the equivalent of Bayo (sleepy trouble bubble is literally witch time) and they've given her slap on the wrist "nerfs" every patch since her release that still don't address her being able to legitimately 1 shot everyone, including Tanks at times.
BUT just like Bayo, I like playing as her here or there. Is she (zoe/bayo) toxic for the scene, **** yes she is. Should we ban her (Zoe) we do, over and over to the point it's like this.

But of course smash isn't league so we can't ban out characters but stages at least to minimize damage against bayo (lylat/tri-plats for example)

Currently Zoe's 50% banrate, used to be 61% before the last nerf so it's gone done almost 11% (leaving out the .?%) which is good cause people are slowly figuring her out. The counterplay being to play assassins against her like Kassadin or zed.
For Bayo I wouldn't say she has counters, and "just sdi" meme doesn't really work with her cause people are still getting caught and dying or because they do SDI they die (mistake vs Nairo a very good recent example). But bayo is basically held back by the player, I don't think she losses any MUs like brawl MK and she's possibly slightly better than him though people will bring up results of course that can always change with time.

If anything, let's try to ban double cloud or cloud entirely from doubles before getting onto Bayo. She's at 10% usage in the entire community so far and it'll definitely grow. Time will change for the worse. /league and bayo rant
Jesus I’m interested, I’ll be PMing you about mobas soon.

On topic, I don’t lean towards any camp, and this discussion is very hot right now, soooooo let’s see here...

Pure speculation: how many years do you guys think smash 4 has left? And how many years will it have left if bayo is banned?

I personally don’t have a theory on the competitive aspect, but I’d think if people started getting into a more explorative mindset “let’s see what this game/characters can do” instead of “Play-To-Win,” I see it lasting 3-5 more years w/ or w/o bayo. Making the game more than just a means of virtual combat, but also like a “Cave of Discovery.”

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
She's at 10% usage in the entire community so far and it'll definitely grow. Time will change for the worse. /league and bayo rant
10% of top results (largish tournaments).
Within just that paradigm, MK was as much as the 50% mark. Spread over top 64 it was still going to be quite high for MK; perhaps Bayo is more comparable to that? I'm under the impression she has been the most represented character to get into top 32/64s (?) at large events for a while though.
But we don't have the 'from the lowest to the highest' spread like we did with the Brawl character rankings; and it's a shame a tournament database system like the one on Smashboards was so unmanageable (it was practically a full time job for more than one person, SB's top management can't expect people to do that for free; but it would be helping us more now if we did have that resource).
As I've repeated a lot, MK was around the 30% (still weighted for placement and only considering top 8, mind you; but scene sizes were smaller at the time) mark essentially across the entire planet.
We have no idea what a similarly deduced value is for Bayonetta right now (I think we have no idea, at least??).

I think there are two reasons Bayo hasn’t seen a consistent uptick in switches like Brawl MK had. The main reason is playability.

Ice Climbers in a nutshell. I could never play them at all, it was the one character you couldn't even play them casually ever unless you were competent enough with chain grab muscle memory - minor exceptions in MUs were sopo (single IC) could chain grab by themselves heavily; but even still; excessively awkward to play.
People who were switching to ICs were indicating as such but still wouldn't be bringing them out in tournament for upwards of 6 months, even against 'lower level players' like most strong players would use their secondaries for.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know know how many of you play the Soul Calibur series, but this reminds me of a very similar issue that occurred when Soul Calibur 4 came out.

Basically, there was a character named Hilde that had a combo called the Doom Combo. It allowed her to ring someone out off of a single hit or have them eat a ton of damage. Despite unimpressive frame data, she was already a top tier character, with excellent evasiveness, and the ability to almost negate some characters options with her movement.

The addition of the Doom Combo pushed the
community into ban talk. Two Hilde’s were present at Evo 2009, and there was more than a little discontent and backlash. “Her players don’t deserve her wins” - for instance.

The SC4 community ultimately decided not to ban, but rather on their most prominent forum, they made a dedicated thread to combatting her and her options. Even her players offered specific things that combatted problem moves and situations for various characters, while detailing what she looked for in neutral.

That thread is still pinned on her character message board.

One thing that I think SolidSense mentioned, was a lack of clear information on what to do. Now thinking about it, I agree. You have to search all over the place on YouTube, in forums, and various other places to get a semblance of an idea.

Discord helps, but it’s more of a chat room, and less of something that you can use as a resource as you would a message board.

I don’t have a solution, other than making a thread to specifically address Bayo. The character specific boards have moved to Discord at this point.

There is so much that is character specific to dealing with her options.
This is what I was trying to say before, and people took it the wrong way. If we just had a thread on how to beat Bayonetta, she would be way less scary to face in tournament. For example, I believe the reason why Diddy does so well against Bayonetta is because he plays grounded, and Bayonetta hates touching the ground. She also can't platform camp Diddy, because his peanuts fire in an arc. Banana also allows Diddy to get a free kill move in without worrying so much about Witch Time. To be honest, if people tried to stay on the ground more against Bayonetta and punish her landings, people wouldn't have as much trouble as they do against her. The trick is to play a bit like Little Mac and stay on the ground, because Bayonetta's ground game is around the level of Cloud's. Another thing is the definition of overpowered, which I saw a video on by TrueUnderDawg. In the video, he basically states that a OP character is a character that is the best at one thing, and is average at everything else, so they have no definitive weakness. And this definition fits Bayonetta more than any other Smash character in Smash 4.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Jesus I’m interested, I’ll be PMing you about mobas soon.

On topic, I don’t lean towards any camp, and this discussion is very hot right now, soooooo let’s see here...

Pure speculation: how many years do you guys think smash 4 has left? And how many years will it have left if bayo is banned?

I personally don’t have a theory on the competitive aspect, but I’d think if people started getting into a more explorative mindset “let’s see what this game/characters can do” instead of “Play-To-Win,” I see it lasting 3-5 more years w/ or w/o bayo. Making the game more than just a means of virtual combat, but also like a “Cave of Discovery.”
It depends. It’s a different age right now for the FGC. Street Fighter has seasons now to keep it competitively fresh, and outside of Arcsys, the traditional way of updating a fighting series is becoming obsolete.

A Smash 4 Deluxe on the Switch that would renew the competitive base and bring in more new players due to a larger console base.

On the one hand, there aren’t many fighting games that are near Smash in terms of absolute sales. That is even more stark for platform fighters. On the other, the game is on a dead console.

Melee experienced an incredibly fortunate revival, and that is exceedingly rare. It has storylines with stars to keep it going. Smash 4 has few stars near Melee’s level. Mostly Zero and Nairo... maybe Anti.

I give Smash 4 probably 2-5 years of competitive relevancy left. It largely depends on a Switch version.

Keep in mind, it’s been out for 3. Having 5-8 years of competition is really good for a singular game.

Ice Climbers in a nutshell. I could never play them at all, it was the one character you couldn't even play them casually ever unless you were competent enough with chain grab muscle memory - minor exceptions in MUs were sopo (single IC) could chain grab by themselves heavily; but even still; excessively awkward to play.
People who were switching to ICs were indicating as such but still wouldn't be bringing them out in tournament for upwards of 6 months, even against 'lower level players' like most strong players would use their secondaries for.
Yeah, which makes sense. I mean, I don’t think Bayo is Brawl ICs awkward... maybe. Of the top tiers, she’s probably the most awkward to use other than maybe Rosa and Mewtwo?

Honestly, some of my optimism for Smash 4 not turning into Bayoville comes from this idea: what if Cloud had Witch Time. Cloud Time (realistically it’d be Slow, for FF7’s sake)? Players would jump ship to him free.

Actually, we’ve seen what playability and overwhelming power can do. It’s called Smash 4 Doubles. :4cloud2:

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman

The only way to break out of the stasis would be to Throw the opponent.

Oh yeah, to be honest, I feel like a god when I chaingrab people as Icies, and their frustration makes me happy. I think I was the only Icies player who chaingrabbed for fun and not out of necessity. Also, being an Icies player, I couldn't get chaingrabbed either. Smash for Switch needs to happen soon, preferably the same way they did it with Pokken Tournament DX. A few more characters, and balance changes.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was thinking of a similar scenario but instead of witch time it was ABK.
Sayonara most semblance of weakness (recovery/landing mix ups); welcome, Brawl MK 2.0 No Tornado Edition.

Yeah definitely not the same level of awkward as ICs; specials are able to flow and don't take 'extreme effort' to get a feeling for (exception being jump renewal, which is basically the 'awkward reason I don't at least practice her like I do most of the higher end of the cast'; just like greninja with side-b, I'm quite fickle with such things). Meanwhile with ICs you could use smarts to land grabs the average ICs main wouldn't get/go for, but it would be all for naught.

In terms of awkward top tiers, it's probably Rosa. Mewtwo has a lot of swordman patterns so I wouldn't agree overtly on that one. Zero Suit is arguably pretty awkward too.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Smart grabs as Ice Climbers don't exist. You grab when they do something wrong, and keep grabbing until they die. Not too difficult. You think Ice Climbers require skill but they really don't, in Brawl that is. Melee Icies are a whole different story. Knowing when to grab is a skill most competent players have, and if you have a defensive playstyle, which for the Icies was optimal, all the better.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
As I said, using 'smarts' (not meaning to say limited to smart players or something like that) to get grabs the average ICs player wouldn't get/go for.
Why would you do that when you could just do dash forward back roll/grab 50/50 and if the opponent didn't hit both of them you would get grabbed anyway.

(You know, the type of smarts that tended to be necessary for you to get a grab on a slippery wario/etc).

ICs took a lot of work to master, but was ultimately playing a single player game.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
This is what I was trying to say before, and people took it the wrong way. If we just had a thread on how to beat Bayonetta, she would be way less scary to face in tournament. For example, I believe the reason why Diddy does so well against Bayonetta is because he plays grounded, and Bayonetta hates touching the ground. She also can't platform camp Diddy, because his peanuts fire in an arc. Banana also allows Diddy to get a free kill move in without worrying so much about Witch Time. To be honest, if people tried to stay on the ground more against Bayonetta and punish her landings, people wouldn't have as much trouble as they do against her. The trick is to play a bit like Little Mac and stay on the ground, because Bayonetta's ground game is around the level of Cloud's. Another thing is the definition of overpowered, which I saw a video on by TrueUnderDawg. In the video, he basically states that a OP character is a character that is the best at one thing, and is average at everything else, so they have no definitive weakness. And this definition fits Bayonetta more than any other Smash character in Smash 4.
You know, this would explain how Little Mac is randomly one of the characters that gives Bayo trouble...

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
As I said, using 'smarts' (not meaning to say limited to smart players or something like that) to get grabs the average ICs player wouldn't get/go for.
Why would you do that when you could just do dash forward back roll/grab 50/50 and if the opponent didn't hit both of them you would get grabbed anyway.

(You know, the type of smarts that tended to be necessary for you to get a grab on a slippery wario/etc).

ICs took a lot of work to master, but was ultimately playing a single player game.
And we have yet to talk about desyncs.

ICs, in every form of smash they appeared in, took a lot of mechanical skill to work with.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
So a couple things... First, Bayo platform camps Diddy pretty easily. Second, banana has to be used at a specific range vs Bayo to be entirely safe. Third, a ground game like Cloud's isn't awful.

That said, I do believe grounded play is significantly more effective vs Bayo, yes. Heel slide becomes exponentially more effective if opponents are jumping around. For example, Nairo got hit by more heel slides than Dabuz did, because his character requires more aerial play.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I wouldn't say Bayo's ground game is anywhere near bad. D-tilt and up-tilt combined with Witch Twist and ABK all demand a lot of respect from most of the cast. Her jab and f-tilt aren't very good but she'll rarely use them if ever.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'm not a Diddy main by any means, he's one of my least-played characters, so forgive my ignorance. Also for Ice Climbers technical ability, I was definitely exaggerating, they took me a over a year to use right, but once they work, they click like that. Its hard to describe, but once you do everything right as Ice Climbers, its very hard to do things wrong, as Ice Climbers work in a very specific way that's hard to get wrong when you've played the character from the beginning of Brawl to the end of Brawl, and use the same character in Melee, where the aim is to still get the grab. Wario was a very annoying character to fight as the Icies though, but Toon Link was worse. Good thing I had the fact that Meta Knight invalidated most of the Icies bad matchups, or it could have been a lot worse. Not that I played Meta Knight competitively though, people hated me enough for being an Icies main. Its just that there weren't many Toon Link players in Brawl, thankfully.
As for Bayonetta, her Witch Time is her best move, with Witch Twist in a close second. After literally 5 minutes of practice, I could get 50% or more off of one Witch Time. If Smash for Switch comes out, instead of removing Witch Time, give it a duration proportional to the attack countered, like every other block. That way people can't be killed off of one neutral exchange. And while people state that Bayonetta's neutral is bad, its really not that bad. Every top tier has a better neutral than most of the rest of the cast, although Sheik and Diddy have god-tier neutrals. Bayonetta outcamps and outscares better than most characters, and this fear factor is why people hate Bayonetta. When somebody plays against Bayonetta, they don't know when they are about to be Witch Timed, which gives an extra variable to the match. Unlike other characters, which normally have a set of safe and unsafe options in neutral or in a combo, Bayonetta can always choose to Witch Time, which makes even safe options a mental commitment to do. This is stressful, and people don't like to have outcomes that shouldn't happen, like the way Sinji got killed by Lima. People don't want to see that. Its not fun to see someone who's obviously doing the right thing and is winning suddenly get killed at 30%. It's not expected, and people hate the unexpected. Its psychologically stressful to fight Bayo, and Bayonetta scares people like no other character because she has this aura of unpredictability.

On another note, since we've been talking about Bayonetta for five pages now, I think I'm going to create a Bayonetta counter-strategy thread, were people can share their ways and theories on how to fight Bayonetta.

Edit: The thread is posted under Competitive Discussion, go check it out.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Witch Time is not Bayonetta’s best move. It’s her scariest move for sure, but her best move is her witch twist.

Witch time is situational; it’s at its strongest state when bayo is close or on the ground, and gets progressively weaker afterwards. If you get WTed in the air, outside of smash KO range, you’re safe. Even if it lead to a ladder combo, how is that different from getting hit from Witch twist, Utilt, and the like?

If bayo Witch times you anywhere not close to the ground or ledge, you have a very very very low chance of death. If any.

Witch twist, at the very least, is nigh-impervious at every game state. Frame 4 untouchable tornado. Like brawl MK (the comparisons to brawl characters never cease). Unless below her, then congrats (just make sure not to get WTed on the ground). At its best, it’s almost like shine; safe to spam, safe combo starter, safe to spam (let me know when you can punish it), starts pressure as easy as 1 2 3, the best AA move known to man (name another move that guaranteed a +30% when done right.... I’m waiting), you can just run to people and use this thing, breaks “combos” (frame 4), and is integral to the ladder combos.

A bayo w/o Witch time or a bayo w/o witch twist.

I’ll be going with former. Have fun not doing ladder combos. Or recovering well. Or missing an amazing AA. Or having safety written all over you. Or truly scaring people.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Witch Twist gives you 17-20 frames to punish on shield. If you're hit by it on level ground with her you can SDI so fast that you pop out of the move before she can get any followup above 60-70%.
Witch Time dictates how you press every single button on your controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom