• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

D

Deleted member

I saw |RK| |RK| fight against Tweek in Frostbite 2018. I have to say, congratulations to RK. Despite getting 2-0'd by Tweek, RK did really solid against him. Confused Tweek which made him dizzy to catch up to him, than the crowd hyped up when he gave him the hammer afterwards. Good job RK for doing really good!
RIP.PNG

I also saw a commentator say that the Pac-Man match-up against Bayonetta might not be as bad for Pac-Man. Both require a lot of set-up to do some hard work, and both can punish ( Pac-Man with fruits and Bayonetta with her zero-to-death ). Pac-Man is hard to gimp for Bayonetta, and the fire hydrant is a good push away.
I could see Sheik being #3 and Diddy Kong #4, sure. They're really close to each other in power level, so it's kind of hard to say who is #3 and who is #4. I still don't currently think that Diddy is worse than #4 though.
That is a highly debetable place, but I just do not agree with Diddy one tier above Sheik. Diddy and Sheik should both be at the A tier.
People surprised that Leo got beaten by Nairo, smh. Like this is the same Nairo who:

- Has been at least a top 5 player the entire length of the Smash 4’s meta.

- Still the same Nairo who made the most absurd Loser’s run in SSC 2017, getting sent to Loser’s in round 2 of pools, then took out Rich Brown, Sinji, Komo, Tweek, Void, Mr. R, Shoyo James, MK Leo, and capped it off by beating Winners Zero across 10 games in Grands.

- Has probably the best CQC and advantage play in the game.

- Makes top 10 players, who main characters with advantageous MUs over ZSS, hate fighting ZSS.

- Routinely confuses people into thinking ZSS is top 3 or something.

- Touches people and they die.
It is good to be part of the Naifu Nation. :yeahboi:

Either way, people underestimate Nairo as some "good ZSS", glad you made this post.
Edit: No one should underestimate Nairo. I do not think anyone does at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Who tf underrates Nairo????

I’m not confused that Nairo beat Leo. What I’m confused about is why Leo was playing so differently than winners finals.

Like Leo legit Dimensional Cape’d down right in front of Nairo’s face. He looked off his game

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Who tf underrates Nairo????

I’m not confused that Nairo beat Leo. What I’m confused about is why Leo was playing so differently than winners finals.

Like Leo legit Dimensional Cape’d down right in front of Nairo’s face. He looked off his game
I figure Leo tried to call out an empty hop, might as well make a gamble when you're at a stock deficit and Nairo's at kill percent.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Kirby seems way too low on this tier list. He does surprisingly well against the top tiers, which about 50% of all competitive smash players play. Does anybody see him as a viable secondary, jus to win against top-tier players who don't know the matchup? Kirby notably does well against Fox and Sheik, going even with both. Also, as said before, RK did well against Tweek, despite being beaten 0-2. Noice job RK! That hammer was guuuud.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ok, then. Why tho? I've seen a million people say its even or slight disadvantage for Kirby. Its not like Sheik bodies Kirby like she does with other characters.
Slight disadvantage, potentially even with needles.

Sheik can basically bait Kirby super easily, as she's still fast with good range and frame data. It's actually really obnoxious to get in on her without needles. Can't chase, pressure, or even punish most things.

His main advantage is the ability to do damage up close, being really small, and quick normals.

But without needles, he can't really abuse much of that easily. With needles, he can actually get in more easily, and threaten space. He can punish landings and needle fidget to bait shields. So on.

But otherwise, yeah, he loses.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Slight disadvantage, potentially even with needles.

Sheik can basically bait Kirby super easily, as she's still fast with good range and frame data. It's actually really obnoxious to get in on her without needles. Can't chase, pressure, or even punish most things.

His main advantage is the ability to do damage up close, being really small, and quick normals.

But without needles, he can't really abuse much of that easily. With needles, he can actually get in more easily, and threaten space. He can punish landings and needle fidget to bait shields. So on.

But otherwise, yeah, he loses.
I always assumed it was because Kirby is really hard to combo, and Sheik's Up-throw Up-air 50-50 doesn't work that well on Kirby. I play some combo-heavy characters, (Fox and Mew2), so I know which characters are hard to combo, and Kirby is very hard to combo reliably. I also feel Kirby is very underrated on the tier list, more so than at other character. I just can't really see Kirby being a bottom six character when some characters above him seem worse. *cough cough, Dr. Mario, Petite Bow-Wow*

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Up Throw > Up Air doesn't work on Kirby at all but Down Throw > Up Air can with rage.
Generally, Kirby gets combo'd harder than other floaties and is one of the only floaties with extremely generous %s for SV/Nair/FS setups. Grab based followups from Sheik shouldn't be considered much for the matchup, however, because it's generally rather difficult to grab good Kirby players and there's a huge punish for whiffing.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Really? Kirby escapes Bayo combos quite easily, along with Fox combos. If Kirby was somehow able to inhale a Sheik (Which would most likely not happen to a good Sheik), would you consider Kirby with Needles to be a good matchup. Now Kirby doesn't have to approach.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
SV = Smashville
Most floaties or borderline floaties (:4jigglypuff::4mario::4ness::4peach::4tlink:) actually do AMAZING against Sheik on Smashville because they're impossible to Smashville combo due to their weight/fallspeed combo, airdodge speeds, and frequency of having f3-5 escape options. Most can also can kill her ridiculously early with suffocating hitboxes.

Kirby does not have this luxury, as he has no good escape options and can't drift away from Forward Air, Forward Tilt, or Up Tilt on the Smashville platform. This means that he's one of the only floaty characters susceptible to dying instantly off the side when touched the right way.
A few other floaties that share this quality with him are :4samus::rosalina::4wario:.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Sheikville. I'm really bad at reading acronyms. Wow. This is kind of embarrassing. I think I can see why Kirby loses to Sheik now though.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Really? Kirby escapes Bayo combos quite easily, along with Fox combos. If Kirby was somehow able to inhale a Sheik (Which would most likely not happen to a good Sheik), would you consider Kirby with Needles to be a good matchup. Now Kirby doesn't have to approach.
Inhaling Sheik actually isn't hard at all. Any grab or utilt leads to inhale at low percents.

Routa

Smash Lord
I have hard time seeing Kirby doing well against Sheik mainly 'cause of platform camping. Kirby doesn't have the mobility to keep up with Sheik. Yeah yeah he has combos etc, but in Smash it is far more important to have the ability to keep up with the opponent.
In general I think the platform camping is way too underutilized in Sm4sh. Just staying on the platform allows you to rethink your strategy, buy time if you have something to charge, calm your nerves and annoy your opponent.

D

Deleted member

Kirby seems way too low on this tier list. He does surprisingly well against the top tiers, which about 50% of all competitive smash players play. Does anybody see him as a viable secondary, jus to win against top-tier players who don't know the matchup? Kirby notably does well against Fox and Sheik, going even with both. Also, as said before, RK did well against Tweek, despite being beaten 0-2. Noice job RK! That hammer was guuuud.
I hear people bring up this excuse to see why Kirby should rise, but honestly Kirby does not go even with Sheik. Slightly in Sheik's favor. I think Kirby going even with a Sheik is a quick overreaction from other players that did not analyze clearly. Routa, |RK| and FeelMeUp all brought up good points on why Kirby loses the Sheik match-up. Sure, Kirby has a much better KO potential than Sheik will ever have and can easily KO Sheik. Sheik is just too mobile as Routa said and Kirby's range is quite lacking, so Sheik can get her moves onto Kirby. Sheik with rage can kill Kirby at somewhat high percents if she gets fortunate with an up-smash or an up air. Honestly, people say that Kirby has "potential" like what people say with Lucas, but like Lucas's problem, Kirby just is not "proving" his potential and there has been no discoveries about what he can do to shine yet. I would say that the main problems with Kirby in every-match up is his lack of range, predictable recovery and just frail character in general. I think Kirby will remain a bottom ten character for the entire of Smash 4's competitive history unless if a patch happens that buffs him really good, but the whole patch thing might not happen sadly. Well you got Smash for Switch to hope that Kirby gets a major buff which makes him considered viable, huh?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Why does Kirby seem to do well against Fox, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus? I believe the reason is that Kirby is an unfamiliar MU for these characters and most players don't play the MU right. These MUs are likely -1 for Kirby, but -1 MUs vs some of the best characters in the game isn't bad at all when you're a bottom 10 character, like Kirby is. It's -1 if both Kirby and his opponent plays the MU right, and it's statistically more likely for Kirby to know the MU than it is for his opponent, so in practice it will often end up being fairly even or maybe even +1 in Kirby's favor.

Top level players generally know how to deal with the top tier characters. They might be more unfamiliar with low tier characters, however, and if the MU is just a +1 advantage for their character then that unfamiliarity might hurt them more than their high/top tier privileges help them. If it's a +2 or +3 advantage (such as Diddy Kong vs Jigglypuff) then they might be able to brute force a win through high/top tier privilege. Then again, Captain Zack seems to struggle with some +2/+3 mid/low tier MUs (like Little Mac and R.O.B.).

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Those three characters you listed have to get close to Kirby (Not so much Shiek or ZSS but still close enough) and are fast fallers that's why. The closer you have to play near Kirby the better Kirby is going to do, especially if your a fast taller who he can take from zero to 50 reliably off a whiff punish and work from there. It has little to do with MU unfamiliarity the game has been out for way too long for that to be a excuse for any high level player anymore, even characters you hardly ever see you should still have some familiarity with how they operate by now if your competing in large tournaments that bring in all sorts of players.

Also -2 or 40-60 or whatever you want to call it doesn't mean "can't ever win" it means you'll win 4 games out of 6. Those 4 could be the ones you need to take a set. Even though it gets more unlikely you will win unless your just a much better player than the other as the MU ratio goes down in your favor until your running into 30-70 or worst it's not that inconceivable you can still win bad matchups occasionally.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I have hard time seeing Kirby doing well against Sheik mainly 'cause of platform camping. Kirby doesn't have the mobility to keep up with Sheik. Yeah yeah he has combos etc, but in Smash it is far more important to have the ability to keep up with the opponent.
In general I think the platform camping is way too underutilized in Sm4sh. Just staying on the platform allows you to rethink your strategy, buy time if you have something to charge, calm your nerves and annoy your opponent.
For this reason, triplats are an auto-ban against any fast character. Easier to deal with other platforms, as Kirby's regular vertical mobility is sufficient to poke them. And command grab as a mix-up.

Why does Kirby seem to do well against Fox, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus? I believe the reason is that Kirby is an unfamiliar MU for these characters and most players don't play the MU right. These MUs are likely -1 for Kirby, but -1 MUs vs some of the best characters in the game isn't bad at all when you're a bottom 10 character, like Kirby is. It's -1 if both Kirby and his opponent plays the MU right, and it's statistically more likely for Kirby to know the MU than it is for his opponent, so in practice it will often end up being fairly even or maybe even +1 in Kirby's favor.

Top level players generally know how to deal with the top tier characters. They might be more unfamiliar with low tier characters, however, and if the MU is just a +1 advantage for their character then that unfamiliarity might hurt them more than their high/top tier privileges help them. If it's a +2 or +3 advantage (such as Diddy Kong vs Jigglypuff) then they might be able to brute force a win through high/top tier privilege. Then again, Captain Zack seems to struggle with some +2/+3 mid/low tier MUs (like Little Mac and R.O.B.).
Kirby has some weird advantages in those MUs that people aren't expecting. For example, even for moves you can't crouch, you can still make it a pain to space (or more telegraphed). And then the combo game.

But perhaps most importantly is - players of these characters typically want to be aggressive. Kirby feeds on that. And he also can really be forced to approach by any of them unless they have the lead. So he can shamelessly do nothing like that.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Those three characters you listed have to get close to Kirby (Not so much Shiek or ZSS but still close enough) and are fast fallers that's why. The closer you have to play near Kirby the better Kirby is going to do, especially if your a fast taller who he can take from zero to 50 reliably off a whiff punish and work from there.
Which is part of the reason why these characters are only -1 MUs for Kirby, a character who is overall bottom 10 vs top 10 characters.

It has little to do with MU unfamiliarity the game has been out for way too long for that to be a excuse for any high level player anymore, even characters you hardly ever see you should still have some familiarity with how they operate by now if your competing in large tournaments that bring in all sorts of players.
I'm pretty sure if you poll most top players on their experience with every character, you'll see that they have much less high level experience vs certain characters. You could argue that this shouldn't be the case, but even top level players aren't perfect. Besides, even if you think you know a MU you might get rusty at it if you don't play it regularly. How many top level players get regular high level practice against characters like Kirby, R.O.B., or Palutena?

Also -2 or 40-60 or whatever you want to call it doesn't mean "can't ever win" it means you'll win 4 games out of 6. Those 4 could be the ones you need to take a set. Even though it gets more unlikely you will win unless your just a much better player than the other as the MU ratio goes down in your favor until your running into 30-70 or worst it's not that inconceivable you can still win bad matchups occasionally.
Yes, -2 MUs are very winable, though it gets harder. -3 MUs are really bad though, and if played right the chance of a win is really low (still not impossible). Best of 3 sets are more likely to end in an upset than best of 5 sets, anyway.

Kirby has some weird advantages in those MUs that people aren't expecting. For example, even for moves you can't crouch, you can still make it a pain to space (or more telegraphed). And then the combo game.

But perhaps most importantly is - players of these characters typically want to be aggressive. Kirby feeds on that. And he also can really be forced to approach by any of them unless they have the lead. So he can shamelessly do nothing like that.
Yeah, I think this falls into the "MU unfamiliarity" aspect. You often have to adjust how you play when you play against low tier characters like Kirby, Jigglypuff, or King Dedede. If you don't abuse their weaknesses you might get overwhelmed. It's also worth noting that nearly no one tries to camp Kirby out, despite Kirby being terrible against camping. I suspect most players aren't really willing to camp in general (I, myself, generally won't camp, even if I probably should in some situations).

Kirby's duck is pretty funny. A Fox, Captain Falcon, or Zero Suit Samus will really have to adjust their gameplay in order to deal with a ducking Kirby.

I assume you meant "can't really be forced to approach", and yes, that's another reason those MUs are relatively easier for Kirby. I imagine characters like Cloud, Mewtwo, and Rosalina would be rather annoying to fight as a Kirby, since they can camp pretty well even if they don't have a lead (in Rosa's case, she could camp once she loses Luma, and I'd imagine it'd be hard for Kirby to really punish her while Luma is gone, unless the Rosa messes up).

(Your Kirby was really fun to watch btw, nice effort. I really like Kirby as a character and I do hope they buff him to at least Brawl levels for the next Smash game.)

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I’ve seen a Fox player use patience and restraint maybe twice over the course of a whole game in the last three years. The last time was Odyssey from NYC, who then promptly forgot how to do what he did.

Kirby functions like an anti-rush down character when faced with aggression. Man, if only he could crawl with that ridiculous crouch...

Routa

Smash Lord
Shortly said they are bad.

Brawler is inferior version of Mario/Fox. He looses heavily against disjointed characters and thous with strong OoS game. He has great burst game and staying above him is very dangerous due to his amazing Up-bs (PP and Helikick). His best top tier MU are most likely Sheik or Fox (he can get a kill from a grab from 60-70% range if he has PP) even thous are hard for him due their superior pressure and presence in neutral. He is far better in doubles than singles (I would say he is top 5 in doubles). So eh... he is decent.

As for Gunner @AEMehr knows him far better than I. But very shortly said: Bad character due to poor damage output, horrible cqc and average kill options.

As for Swordspider... He is bad. All of his options are overall below average. His mobility stats are horrible that cannot be fixed by better specials. He only has great Dtilt, Jab and walk. That is all. He is one of the worst characters for a reason.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Brawler is inferior version of Mario/Fox. He looses heavily against disjointed characters and thous with strong OoS game. He has great burst game and staying above him is very dangerous due to his amazing Up-bs (PP and Helikick). His best top tier MU are most likely Sheik or Fox (he can get a kill from a grab from 60-70% range if he has PP) even thous are hard for him due their superior pressure and presence in neutral. He is far better in doubles than singles (I would say he is top 5 in doubles). So eh... he is decent.

As for Gunner @AEMehr knows him far better than I. But very shortly said: Bad character due to poor damage output, horrible cqc and average kill options.

As for Swordspider... He is bad. All of his options are overall below average. His mobility stats are horrible that cannot be fixed by better specials. He only has great Dtilt, Jab and walk. That is all. He is one of the worst characters for a reason.
Except those custom up B's for Brawler are locked from competitive play, so he is stuck with having one of the worst recoveries of the game.

D

Deleted member

Frostbite 2018: Shoyo James:4luigi: 2-0 MVD:4diddy:!
I heard that Shoyo James is considered second best only to Nairo in New Jersey ( which makes Shoyo James ranked 1st, Nairo 0th ). The fact that Shoyo James beat MVD in MVD's favorite stage twice, :lylat: is truly impressive. I think this is proof that Luigi slightly beats Diddy Kong in the match-up, can easily use him as combo food. Shoyo James was able to pull of his Luigi combos in the second round to wear off MVD's Diddy.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I heard that Shoyo James is considered second best only to Nairo in New Jersey ( which makes Shoyo James ranked 1st, Nairo 0th ). The fact that Shoyo James beat MVD in MVD's favorite stage twice, :lylat: is truly impressive. I think this is proof that Luigi slightly beats Diddy Kong in the match-up, can easily use him as combo food. Shoyo James was able to pull of his Luigi combos in the second round to wear off MVD's Diddy.
Whoa, quick to judge, eh?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
While it's not impossible that Luigi slightly beats Diddy (Elegant thinks it's even though), one set is not really enough to say, especially since it was a pretty close set.

D

Deleted member

Whoa, quick to judge, eh?
While it's not impossible that Luigi slightly beats Diddy (Elegant thinks it's even though), one set is not really enough to say, especially since it was a pretty close set.
You guys do not get it enough, I am just saying that is not a little example, not the full reason why. I am honestly really close to ignoring you Skeeter, but I like call-outs like Minordeth Minordeth .:yeahboi:

Edit: Frihetsanka Frihetsanka I do agree that Luigi is either even or slightly in his favor. I would say that even is more agreeable, but do you think it is violate even or just even?

Frostbite 2018 is hype, anyone watching it right now? I would say that Corrin, Luigi and Peach are the only high tiers mostly carried by one person. Luigi = Elegant, Corrin = Cosmos and especially Peach = Samsora. There are still other representatives of them though, but I am just listing the three players that carry their characters. I would argue that Diddy Kong would not fit in this category of being mostly carried by ZeRo, because Diddy Kong has a diverse and skilled player-base. You have to respect the Diddy Kong, those guys are very skilled with tech chases and playing around with their items to up-smash.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman

Small 2122 Mii Brawler would basically be a better Mario. Also one of the best keep-away characters. Mii Brawler has ridiculous frame data, and a Small 2122 Mii Brawler can kill people through Up-B at 30% on Smashville. Any other Mii setup is inferior trash, and would be around #30 on the tier list, while Small 2122 Mii Brawler would be a B-tier, around Pikachu and Meta Knight's level.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Small 2122 Mii Brawler would basically be a better Mario. Also one of the best keep-away characters. Mii Brawler has ridiculous frame data, and a Small 2122 Mii Brawler can kill people through Up-B at 30% on Smashville. Any other Mii setup is inferior trash, and would be around #30 on the tier list, while Small 2122 Mii Brawler would be a B-tier, around Pikachu and Meta Knight's level.
Having Piston Punch instead of Helicopter Kick is a very viable alternative.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I disagree. Up-air is insane and he has some relatively decent custom specials (Hero's Spin, Chakram, Shuriken of Light).
Regarding :4luigi: vs. :4diddy:, are we forgetting Dakpo beat MVD at DreamHack Denver?

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Having Piston Punch instead of Helicopter Kick is a very viable alternative.
True, but in the end, PP and HK come down to personal preference. It really comes down to what inputs you prefer, both Up-B moves are insane kill moves. Have you seen that one ESAM video?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I disagree. Up-air is insane and he has some relatively decent custom specials (Hero's Spin, Chakram, Shuriken of Light).
Regarding :4luigi: vs. :4diddy:, are we forgetting Dakpo beat MVD at DreamHack Denver?
We are talking about default, but yes, his custom help alleviate his weaknesses.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
True, but in the end, PP and HK come down to personal preference. It really comes down to what inputs you prefer, both Up-B moves are insane kill moves. Have you seen that one ESAM video?
That is what I meant.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Swordfighter is still the worst Mii, even with customs, its still not good enough to break top 30. At least Gunfighter has a shine and fake Samus moves.

Edit: Also, Small Gunfighter is a very good zoning character. Small Gunner would probably be where DK and Olimar are right now. I am one of those people who supports giving Miis custom moves and sizes, along with Palutena. Unlike the rest of the cast, these characters were meant to be used with customs and are effectively crippled without freedom of choice. It would freshen up the meta a little bit and give Mii players a reason to go to tournaments, and Palutena would actually become a good character. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
The vid has some misinformation in it. His up-b confirms can be compared to Ding Dong. It is very %, character and rage depend.

Also Smawler can abuse Helikick better than PP due to being able to confirm from Fair.

And Smawler isn't as great as people think. He is like Brawler, but his pros and cons are boosted. He has even harder time getting in. Also he has even harder time killing after confirm %. He is able to kill even earlier, but like I said he has harder time getting in.
Is Smawler better than Brawler? Perhaps, but not much.

D

Deleted member

Frostbite Winners Top 32: Fatality :4falcon:3-2 Salem:4bayonetta:!!!!!!

Fatality definitely caught Salem off-guard with hard reads that caused his DI to not be as good I think. Mostly Knees and the final blow was the back-air. That could be considered an upset, right? I heard there was a Frostbite 2018 thread, I will go to it.

Bayonetta is a problem for Falcon, but Falcon can set up on Bayonetta and KO her quite more easily than other top tiers.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
The vid has some misinformation in it. His up-b confirms can be compared to Ding Dong. It is very %, character and rage depend.

Also Smawler can abuse Helikick better than PP due to being able to confirm from Fair.

And Smawler isn't as great as people think. He is like Brawler, but his pros and cons are boosted. He has even harder time getting in. Also he has even harder time killing after confirm %. He is able to kill even earlier, but like I said he has harder time getting in.
Is Smawler better than Brawler? Perhaps, but not much.
First of all, Smawler is a great nickname. Second of all, Smawlers mobility becomes the best in the game, his airspeed and run speed are similar to Limit boosted Cloud's, along wide having absurd aerial drift so he can't be frametrapped as easily. He's a great character, I'd say around Corrin level good.

Top Bottom