• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here's a tip: there's a reply button in the corner of everyone's post that'll alert them when you respond to them, like what I did here. Enjoy your stay.

Also, here's some food for thought: Since we now know who the top 10 is, there is 32 different character represented on the PGR, and maybe an additional one if Nairo's bowser is included. That's over half the cast.
Thanks!

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Maaaan, this is a fun discussion lol. Really in-depth and thorough.

But anyways,

My shield comment specifically addresses Dtilt and DA, arguing that they’re still hard reads no matter how easier it is to read people’s movement.
This discussion is so one-sided in knowledge it's really hard to read.

Best foxtrot, good perfect pivot, active ground hitboxes in neutral stance w/range and always threatening a burst option in either dash attack or dtilt. The dash mixup is not dash attack/grab, but also cross slash (or the invincible LCS), rising up air/DAir/NAir, or the faster invincible limit climhazard.

Dash attack and dtilt are not always hard reads. They punish movement. Dtilt punishes dash forward or a landing, dash attack catches short hops with its giant hitbox. The opponent isn't standing still, because if he does, Cloud spaces back air, FAir, or NAir because he's allowed to jump in with the right spacing where the opponent cannot air-air.

Also, if the opponent is standing still and not trying to hit cloud at all, Cloud gets limit, spends it, and then gets more limit. This is why movement is important vs Cloud.

What Shaya is saying is that a character's rising aerial game is a natural part of their ground game, akin to instant overheads in traditional fighters.

What Cloud lacks is a traditional safe ground poke due to not having a swordsman dtilt, but that just makes his ground game incomplete, instead of "mediocre." Cloud dash attack and jab together is better than half the cast's ground game.

Edit: oh, his smashes are extremely good too. Fsmash counters dtilt pokes and spotdodges at dash grab distance, dsmash is very fast, and upsmash is huge.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hi and welcome to Smashboards!
We appreciate the enthusiasm and the fact you're willing to contribute to the discussion, so here are some tips/notes:
- Personal Tier Lists are generally disallowed in this thread, since it can often lead to heated discussions. Yours didn't and you were willing to answer questions about it, and that's cool, but for the sake of simplicity, we don't really need them (you can take this as a warning for the rest who might be thinking on posting one).
- You can edit your own posts if you miss any information or want to add something to it, this is preferred over posting twice in a row (as a bonus, the thread looks tidier and cleaner!).
- You can also hit the "+ Quote" button to add multiple Quotes to your post like the one you did in that one.

I hope this improves your and everyone's experience in the site, and you to enjoy your stay!
:196:

Rizen

Smash Legend
No he can't, charizard can angle his flamethrower upwards to intercept SH pikmin toss, does everyone forget that flamethrower and fire breath can be angled? It seems like everyone does.
No, I meant can pikmin be lobbed over flame thrower even angled up. The thing about FT is it's great on the ledge and some zoning situations but it's not a wall to projectile spam. Olimar can simple wait a few seconds for FT to sputter out.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Also, here's some food for thought: Since we now know who the top 10 is, there is 32 different character represented on the PGR, and maybe an additional one if Nairo's bowser is included. That's over half the cast.
question is, how many of those are a player's main?
How many unique secondaries comprise that list of 32?

tfw roy finally makes pgr thanks to komo

D

Deleted member

question is, how many of those are a player's main?
How many unique secondaries comprise that list of 32?

tfw roy finally makes pgr thanks to komo
Nice to see Roy making it into PGR.
Remember when we all thought Roy was so good that even ZeRo thought he would be the best sword fighter in the game? Oh how wrong we were.
Sure Roy may have loads of problems like his approach and his garbage recovery, but I feel like he will continue to rise. The highest I could see him is top or middle of D, but we will have to wait for that. Roy's match ups might be better than we think they are actually. I personally think his only hard disadvantages are Diddy Kong, Sheik and Bayonetta. Who knows how high Roy will rise?

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Roy is not bad. He still does have a disjoint, but it's useless. His kill power is actually insane for a character so fast, killing at percentages comparable to the heavies, Limit Cloud, Tippers, High Aura Lucario, Fox, ZSS, and Luma.
Everybody is so divided over what constitutes a top tier though, but we all know who the current top three are ;).

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Reply in quote
This discussion is so one-sided in knowledge it's really hard to read.

Show me

Best foxtrot, good perfect pivot, active ground hitboxes in neutral stance w/range and always threatening a burst option in either dash attack or dtilt. The dash mixup is not dash attack/grab, but also cross slash (or the invincible LCS), rising up air/DAir/NAir, or the faster invincible limit climhazard.

Zard has a better fox trot. Sheik has a better fox trot.

Cloud’s dash length is 11 frames, which most characters are. Zard is the same. Sheik is 8 frames.

Cloud’s running speed is 1.97, which is top 10. Zard is 2. Sheik is 2.016

I don’t have data for Cloud’s intial dash acceleration, but Zard’s is 0.5 just like every other character in the game. Can assume cloud is the same.
You’ll prolly think I’m vastly ignorant to just reference frame data when speaking on best fox trot while ignoring the options cloud holds when doing such (his rising aerials and various mix-ups on the ground with dash attack), but then we’ll be talking about more than just fox trot wouldn’t we? Movement in general is just an ambassador for the attacks, as they position us in the best places and angles to give us the best odds of landing them with the least risk and most reward; attaching Cloud’s quality options with his fox trot to argue it better is an unfair comparison when he could benefit from the attributes sheik or Zard holds (a frame 8 dash length would be broke, as well as faster runni- oh wait he already has that as limit. Nvm).

The dash mix-ups can’t be more than dash attack/grab because I’m not getting hit if the opponent decided to go to Uair, Cross Slash, Dair, Nair, or Limit Climhazard. After all, a 50/50 is where a player has to guess between two offensive options. I can shield it all if I want to.

Unless you’re also talking about the timing on when to shield, pushback, shield damage, etc... then you you’re gonna to have to further elaborate.

Dash attack and dtilt are not always hard reads. They punish movement. Dtilt punishes dash forward or a landing, dash attack catches short hops with its giant hitbox. The opponent isn't standing still, because if he does, Cloud spaces back air, FAir, or NAir because he's allowed to jump in with the right spacing where the opponent cannot air-air.

This is the same thing as saying Ryu’s shoryuken isn’t always a hard read, it punishes movement. It punishes jump forward, jump neutral, or jump back when in the corner. Fireball conditions opponents to jump, which leads into shoryuken.

Which is wrong. It’s still definitely high risk.

You Dtilt, hoping the opponent moves a certain way, or you DA, hoping the opponent moves this way or that way. What if you’re wrong? What happens then? The conditioning Cloud’s aerials do makes reads easier, but the risk attached is always the same.

Not a fan of hypothetical scenarios made to help one’s argument, since they leave out a thousand different variables firing on all cylinders. Why can’t I just roll within rhythm of cloud’s aerials? Why can’t I run under and use a intangible Usmash? Why can’t I walk forward instead of dash? Dashdance? Blah blah blah? This goes for your first sentence below as well. Who disengages for that long to allow cloud limit on the charge lol? Is he on the phone with someone?

Also, if the opponent is standing still and not trying to hit cloud at all, Cloud gets limit, spends it, and then gets more limit. This is why movement is important vs Cloud.

Seems like you’re assuming I’m arguing against the importance of movement vs cloud. Which I’m not.

What Shaya is saying is that a character's rising aerial game is a natural part of their ground game, akin to instant overheads in traditional fighters.

See this is what’s making this discussion massively convoluted.

Evaluating a specific section of A character is hard enough, as everything works together like a song, so analyzing some parts can seem lackluster, but putting it all together makes it much better looking (or sounding).

Instant overheads in traditional fighters doesn’t make a case for rising aerials being apart of the ground game, because the moves aren’t entirely comprised of said ground game. That’s how we categorize moves in the first place lol. It’s a joint effort between ground and air. It’s literally 50%Ground/ 50%Air.

Can’t have the amazing threat area and option coverage Cloud has without his Aerials.

Nor can you have a 50/50 of high and low without an aerial in the SF2 games outside of ground overheads.

What Cloud lacks is a traditional safe ground poke due to not having a swordsman dtilt, but that just makes his ground game incomplete, instead of "mediocre." Cloud dash attack and jab together is better than half the cast's ground game.

Not knowledgeable enough on other characters to talk about, but I’m sure you’re not either.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is top tier. Take your pick: he’s either at the bottom of it, or he is lowkey 4 or 5. Too many stupid good tools, recovery, and speed, in a game series that loves stupid good tools, recovery, and speed.

He is light, yes, but you actually have to get the hit on him to kill him. As his meta gets more optimized with his wonky, but effective movement options, it’ll just get harder to hit him. His hitbox isn’t actually that big.

Other than that, he is vulnerable to cross up rolls (and cross ups in general), but c-bounced Shadow Ball is a pretty effective way to make those feel more risky. Plus, he is pretty fast, and actually can retreat and play around the ledge reasonably well if need be.

For a character that feels like a wonkier, OD’ier version of Ness, with a smallish player base, his meta is doing quite well. Most of his top level exposure is limited to WaDi and occasionally Aba, so a few MUs are unexplored.

Cloud is his main suspect MU, right now. The other two of the elite three (Diddy and Bayo) are fine.

Character can torch pretty much everything, with probably the most effective ways to seal a stock in the game.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo is top tier. Take your pick: he’s either at the bottom of it, or he is lowkey 4 or 5. Too many stupid good tools, recovery, and speed, in a game series that loves stupid good tools, recovery, and speed.

He is light, yes, but you actually have to get the hit on him to kill him. As his meta gets more optimized with his wonky, but effective movement options, it’ll just get harder to hit him. His hitbox isn’t actually that big.

Other than that, he is vulnerable to cross up rolls (and cross ups in general), but c-bounced Shadow Ball is a pretty effective way to make those feel more risky. Plus, he is pretty fast, and actually can retreat and play around the ledge reasonably well if need be.

For a character that feels like a wonkier, OD’ier version of Ness, with a smallish player base, his meta is doing quite well. Most of his top level exposure is limited to WaDi and occasionally Aba, so a few MUs are unexplored.

Cloud is his main suspect MU, right now. The other two of the elite three (Diddy and Bayo) are fine.

Character can torch pretty much everything, with probably the most effective ways to seal a stock in the game.
You seem to know a lot about Mewtwo. I think you are forgetting about ZSS and Fox, can do it just as effective as Mewtwo when it comes to sealing a stock. ZSS up air to up b is still busted and a nice way to seal a stock and Fox struggles a little bit more than ZSS and Mewtwo but Fox has his forward air to footstool ( which is insane ) and he is great at juggling potentially to death. ZSS is just as good as sealing a stock like Mewtwo.

I see a lot of top players putting Mewtwo at the end spectrum of top tier. I guess they have a reason for it.

Mewtwo is still solid and the highest I could see Mewtwo is at top nine. Mewtwo's range of where he could be located in my opinion is 9-12.

You seem to know a lot about Mewtwo as I said earlier, you have some kind of guide for him? WaDi is a boss with Mewtwo right now by the way.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Hi and welcome to Smashboards!
We appreciate the enthusiasm and the fact you're willing to contribute to the discussion, so here are some tips/notes:
- Personal Tier Lists are generally disallowed in this thread, since it can often lead to heated discussions. Yours didn't and you were willing to answer questions about it, and that's cool, but for the sake of simplicity, we don't really need them (you can take this as a warning for the rest who might be thinking on posting one).
- You can edit your own posts if you miss any information or want to add something to it, this is preferred over posting twice in a row (as a bonus, the thread looks tidier and cleaner!).
- You can also hit the "+ Quote" button to add multiple Quotes to your post like the one you did in that one.

I hope this improves your and everyone's experience in the site, and you to enjoy your stay!
:196:
Thanks for that information. Question: how can you post personal tier lists? I literally signed up here today despite playing SSB4 for 3 years.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
I actually don’t think LCQ counted. Looking at Cosmos’s card I didn’t see it or his win on Mr.R
According to suar on Reddit the LCQ did count towards the PGR but wasn't shown because they wanted to remove clutter and stuff so his win on Mr R counts

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What are some of the least committal characters in sm4sh? Or better yet, who has the least problems dealing with attrition?

I know Cloud and Shiek are up there, but who else? I think this may turn out to be a very important attribute in the meta moving forward considering what characters are on top rn (kinda explains why Marth and Lucina have dropped a bit)

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Genesis 5 top 64 Seeding https://pastebin.com/6kS8dd75

Pools: https://smash.gg/tournament/genesis-5/events/smash-for-wii-u-singles/brackets/141421

1. MKleo:4cloud2::4marth::4metaknight::4corrinf:
2. Salem:4bayonetta:
3. Nairo:4zss::4bowser:
4. Dabuz:rosalina::4olimar:
5. Larry Lurr:4fox::4dk:
6. Tweek :4cloud2::4dk::4bayonetta:
7. Void:4sheik:
8. Wadi :4mewtwo::4rob:
9. Mr.R:4sheik:
10. Ally:4mario:
11. Elegent:4luigi:
12. ESAM:4pikachu::4samus:
13. CaptainZack:4bayonetta:
14. Samsora:4peach:
15. Mistake :4bayonetta::4zss:
16. Cosmos:4corrinf:
17. Lima:4bayonetta:
18. ANTI :4mario::4cloud2::substitute:
19. MVD:4diddy:
20. Raito:4duckhunt:
21. Fatality:4falcon:
22. Tyroy:4bayonetta:
23. Darkshad:4ryu:
24. Zenyou:4mario:
25. Falln:rosalina:
26. 6WX:4sonic:
27. K9sbruce:4diddy::4sheik:
28. Javi:4cloud2::4sheik:
29. AC:4metaknight::4falco:
30. Eon:4fox:
31. Charliedaking:4fox:
32. Konga:4dk:
33. DSS:4metaknight:
34. Captain L:4pikachu:
35. Legit:4diddy:
36. Xzax:4fox:
37. Locas:4ryu:
38. Stroder:4greninja:
39. Razo:4peach:
40. Umeki:4peach:
41. Brood:4duckhunt:
42. Rich Brown:4mewtwo:
43. Ryo :4myfriends::4corrinf::4feroy:
44. Chag:4bayonetta:
45. Aarvark:4villager:
46. Supergirlkels:4sonic:
47. Pink Fresh:4bayonetta:
48. Icymist:4samus:
49. Sinji:4pacman:
50. 8bitman:4rob::4diddy:
51. Karna:4sheik:
52. Bedgar:4sheik:
53. TLTC:4palutena:
54. Saiki:4sheik:
55. Blacktwins:4cloud2::4mario:
56.KOSSismoss:4gaw:
57. Twi:4peach:
58. Saj:4peach::4bayonetta:
59. DKHo:4sheik:
60. Deluxmenu:4bowser:
61. Metor:4sonic:
62. Shadow_PR:4bayonetta:
63. Luisfer:4diddy:
64. Teb:4mario:

Also apparently ZeRo is not going and I want to know why

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
You seem to know a lot about Mewtwo. I think you are forgetting about ZSS and Fox, can do it just as effective as Mewtwo when it comes to sealing a stock. ZSS up air to up b is still busted and a nice way to seal a stock and Fox struggles a little bit more than ZSS and Mewtwo but Fox has his forward air to footstool ( which is insane ) and he is great at juggling potentially to death. ZSS is just as good as sealing a stock like Mewtwo.

I see a lot of top players putting Mewtwo at the end spectrum of top tier. I guess they have a reason for it.

Mewtwo is still solid and the highest I could see Mewtwo is at top nine. Mewtwo's range of where he could be located in my opinion is 9-12.

You seem to know a lot about Mewtwo as I said earlier, you have some kind of guide for him? WaDi is a boss with Mewtwo right now by the way.
I'm not sure you understand what Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak means. While other characters might have wilder ways to take stocks quickly, no character has a greater variety of practical kill moves or kill confirms at mid to high percents.

-ALL of its aerials kill. Fair is one of the best moves in the game, and dair can kill both onstage and offstage.
-The strongest up throw in the game and one of the best back throws.
-Nair footstool disable, or just disable, or Nair follow-ups in general
-Frame 9 up smash (as fast as fox) that can combo out of jab into up tilt. F smash with hurtbox-shifting properties. An incredibly safe down smash.
-Shadow Ball

These are not "if you get a really good read," these are "fair will straight up murder you if you happen to drop shield a smidge too soon."

The only characters I think come close are Cloud and maybe Marth, and both of them barely have kill throws.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure you understand what Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak means. While other characters might have wilder ways to take stocks quickly, no character has a greater variety of practical kill moves or kill confirms at mid to high percents.

-ALL of its aerials kill. Fair is one of the best moves in the game, and dair can kill both onstage and offstage.
-Frame 9 up smash (as fast as fox) that can combo out of jab into up tilt. F smash with hurtbox-shifting properties. An incredibly safe down smash.
-Shadow Ball

These are not "if you get a really good read," these are "fair will straight up murder you if you happen to drop shield a smidge too soon."

The only characters I think come close are Cloud and maybe Marth, and both of them barely have kill throws.
Mewtwo may have the tools to seal the stock, but ZSS has slightly less tools but they are much more dangerous. People seem to underestimate up air to up b, because despite being nerfed it still is a great way to seal a stock. Keep in mind ZSS has her down b that can spike really hard if read correctly. ZSS is just like Mewtwo when it comes to sealing stocks.
Go to 7:00 to show how busted up air to up b is, and I think this happened after ZSS nerfs.

ZSS can still read an opponet at mid to high percents with her paralyze gun to down b. She could even do a random up b if the character is at high percents ( though you have to do a hard read ). Back air is also pretty solid for a KO at high percents.

I feel like people are beginning to exploit Mewtwo's weakness more easily than other top characters recently, but Mewtwo is still a really solid character.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm

-Shadow Ball

I don't disagree with what you said, but I just wanna point out that Clouds kill throw is waaaaay worse than Marth's.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

-Shadow Ball

Are you sure you’re tagging the right guy.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I actually don’t think LCQ counted. Looking at Cosmos’s card I didn’t see it or his win on Mr.R
That's unfortunate

What Mr R has over Elegant is consistency. Yes Elegant has higher peaks but he also has a string of 17ths in other S tiers besides GTX and the 2GG Championship while Mr R has been getting top 8 or 9ths at multiple S tiers, 17th at EVO being his worst placing this season (both tied for 17th there lol). Mr R also has that win on zero that elegant doesn't have
Nothing is perfect so like PGR seems more along the lines of exactly what you mentioned, the top 50 basically being a photograph of when people hit their peak for the season and not exactly where they should be and will always be back then and even in the future. (just like a tier list ironically)
Ex. Ally Captain Zack and Komo falling 10+ or almost 10 placings while Wadi elegant Cosmos etc. got super high up while not being on it before or pretty far down.

Not saying either of the 6 players are bad, especially the last 3. But the players PGR rank is possibly the highest they'll get and most likely gonna drop by more than 10 come the next season ending.

Also the ZeRo win is good but elegant also has some wins under his belt that Mr.R doesn't have from the top 10 that we know so far like Ken MKleo Salem and Larry lurr.
I might be wrong on MKleo, I forget which tourney it was where I think Mr.R beat him in WF but lost GF, not sure if it's the right players if so remove MKleo. from that list.

But that's whatever, any wins I'm prolly not remembering off the top of my head is fine since PGR can fill in the blanks whenever they release the final vid. Elegant got 11th and that's just the cusp of top 10 so that's still really good and Mr.R is still consistent enough to keep his top 10 so cheers to both players either way.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Roy is not bad. He still does have a disjoint, but it's useless. His kill power is actually insane for a character so fast, killing at percentages comparable to the heavies, Limit Cloud, Tippers, High Aura Lucario, Fox, ZSS, and Luma.
Everybody is so divided over what constitutes a top tier though, but we all know who the current top three are ;).
but it's useless
No.

Many people have explained why before, and I'm sure plenty more will have to explain later. I'm sure the majority of the thread doesn't need me to explain why Roy's disjoint isn't useless.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Wifi seems like a rather new poster (could've been a lurker without an account for however long) and it is kinda a pain to go looking for specific information in the older tier list threads so as someone with at least some Roy experience, I'll list some things about his tippers off the top of my head:

-Tipper jab and dtilt can lead to tech chase scenarios
-Tipper bair jab locks at low percents
-Tipper uair can combo at high percents, including into Blazer as a kill confirm.
-Tipper Double Edge Dance 1 pulls the opponent in as opposed to the base which pushes then out, making more of the move connect at higher percents
-Tippers in general let Roy poke at shields safely, namely dtilt
-Unlike Melee, his tippers are safe on hit so each one you land is free damage without consequence

Also, in regards to info from older threads being hard to acquire, I'm gonna slowly try to fix that. Just started in V1 a few days ago and only got to about post 90 or so but I'm gonna see about making a thread with a 'collection' of useful posts from these threads. Also gonna post some interesting thoughts that were posted before to show how this thread and the meta has changed. Anyone who has any posts they want saved can send me them. Gonna probably take a few months though.

Edit: added a file that shows roughly how many posts I'll be going through. The basic brawl comment is cuz back in the Brawl days, if I was bored and tired, I'd just pass the time till I slept on basic brawl. This little project of mine will be the same way.

Attachments

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak

you seem to misunderstand Shaya's argument. He's not saying that Cloud's aerials are so strong that he doesn't need a ground game. Rather, he's saying that Cloud is just fine staying on the ground because his transitions to the air are so good that he doesn't need to commit to being in the air. Grounded Cloud is very strong because the threat of his aerials never goes away *even when he is on the ground*.

A character like ZSS needs to be in the air a lot. Or Mario.

But not Cloud. Cloud can afford to stay grounded much more often than most other characters in the cast. He plays grounded footsies most of the match, looking for openings. How is that not a strong ground game?

The dash mix-ups can’t be more than dash attack/grab because I’m not getting hit if the opponent decided to go to Uair, Cross Slash, Dair, Nair, or Limit Climhazard. After all, a 50/50 is where a player has to guess between two offensive options. I can shield it all if I want to.

This isn't how this game works. Shield vs. not shield isn't a true 50/50, because standing in one place and shielding is a losing play in almost all situations. You're always moving in smash, and often throwing out hitboxes; shield isn't always available as an answer, even when you're grounded. For example, if you choose to initial dash in midrange and Cloud chooses to dash forward and catch your initial dash animation with a Crosslash, you are eating 20% damage.

Watch any actual high-level matches and note how often Cloud catches grounded characters using his hitboxes. There's no "50/50" here. It's more like an 80/20.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

Zard has a better fox trot. Sheik has a better fox trot.

Cloud’s dash length is 11 frames, which most characters are. Zard is the same. Sheik is 8 frames.

Cloud’s running speed is 1.97, which is top 10. Zard is 2. Sheik is 2.016

I don’t have data for Cloud’s intial dash acceleration, but Zard’s is 0.5 just like every other character in the game. Can assume cloud is the same.
You’ll prolly think I’m vastly ignorant to just reference frame data when speaking on best fox trot while ignoring the options cloud holds when doing such (his rising aerials and various mix-ups on the ground with dash attack), but then we’ll be talking about more than just fox trot wouldn’t we? Movement in general is just an ambassador for the attacks, as they position us in the best places and angles to give us the best odds of landing them with the least risk and most reward; attaching Cloud’s quality options with his fox trot to argue it better is an unfair comparison when he could benefit from the attributes sheik or Zard holds (a frame 8 dash length would be broke, as well as faster runni- oh wait he already has that as limit. Nvm).
Dash-->shield is not the same as a foxtrot. Cloud, Lucario, Game & Watch and maybe one more character? share the same foxtrot frame data, which is dash-->neutral.

This is the same thing as saying Ryu’s shoryuken isn’t always a hard read, it punishes movement. It punishes jump forward, jump neutral, or jump back when in the corner. Fireball conditions opponents to jump, which leads into shoryuken.

Which is wrong. It’s still definitely high risk.

You Dtilt, hoping the opponent moves a certain way, or you DA, hoping the opponent moves this way or that way. What if you’re wrong? What happens then? The conditioning Cloud’s aerials do makes reads easier, but the risk attached is always the same.

Not a fan of hypothetical scenarios made to help one’s argument, since they leave out a thousand different variables firing on all cylinders. Why can’t I just roll within rhythm of cloud’s aerials? Why can’t I run under and use a intangible Usmash? Why can’t I walk forward instead of dash? Dashdance? Blah blah blah? This goes for your first sentence below as well. Who disengages for that long to allow cloud limit on the charge lol? Is he on the phone with someone?

Seems like you’re assuming I’m arguing against the importance of movement vs cloud. Which I’m not.

This is a gross misunderstanding of what a punish/read is. If someone jumps at Ryu in a traditional fgc game and he punishes with shoryu, that's not a read. Similar to if someone misspaces a move in smash and gets shield grabbed. That grab isn't a read, it's a punish. You're not "hoping" the opponent moved a certain way, they moved that way and you responded. There isn't a "what if you're wrong." You punished it. Doesn't matter if the move is high risk, it is guaranteed to hit in that situation.

Movement is a commitment, and you can punish that commitment. You're not making hard reads, you're punishing something that is happening.

See this is what’s making this discussion massively convoluted.

Evaluating a specific section of A character is hard enough, as everything works together like a song, so analyzing some parts can seem lackluster, but putting it all together makes it much better looking (or sounding).

Instant overheads in traditional fighters doesn’t make a case for rising aerials being apart of the ground game, because the moves aren’t entirely comprised of said ground game. That’s how we categorize moves in the first place lol. It’s a joint effort between ground and air. It’s literally 50%Ground/ 50%Air.

Can’t have the amazing threat area and option coverage Cloud has without his Aerials.

Nor can you have a 50/50 of high and low without an aerial in the SF2 games outside of ground overheads.
If your definition of air/ground game relies on what buttons are inputs and whether or not your character is touching the ground when those buttons are pressed, you need to reassess. Ibuki leaps on her forward medium kick overhead and is considered "airborne," but her jump jab, "instant overhead," is using an air normal. Are both/neither of these aerials? Similarly, Peach float cancel NAir is a move where she goes in the air, attacks, and then returns to the ground spending minimal time in the air.

You're arguing semantics based on inputs which would make the discussion literally meaningless and it seems like you just want to have a discussion to feel smart.

Sorry , but this bugged me. Solidsense elaborates on what has already been said.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Mewtwo may have the tools to seal the stock, but ZSS has slightly less tools but they are much more dangerous. People seem to underestimate up air to up b, because despite being nerfed it still is a great way to seal a stock. Keep in mind ZSS has her down b that can spike really hard if read correctly. ZSS is just like Mewtwo when it comes to sealing stocks.
Go to 7:00 to show how busted up air to up b is, and I think this happened after ZSS nerfs.

ZSS can still read an opponet at mid to high percents with her paralyze gun to down b. She could even do a random up b if the character is at high percents ( though you have to do a hard read ). Back air is also pretty solid for a KO at high percents.

I feel like people are beginning to exploit Mewtwo's weakness more easily than other top characters recently, but Mewtwo is still a really solid character.
Your slightly right but if anything ZSS is better than M2 when it comes to kills at abnormally low percents with her ladder confirms but outside of that and gimps, when her opponent hits a certain % she struggles to kill and has to fish for bairs to kill like bayo to an extent (except she has two kill throws though down throw is worse and forward throw is one of the weaker throws when it comes to killing and it's most likely stale)
And most importantly her grab becomes less threating and gives no reward like her ladder.
And if you're watching for paralyzer you shouldn't get hit outside of some situations.

M2 limits how long his opponent can live just by having the strongest kill throw (and back throw buts all upthrow lol) which is very relieving because in limiting how long your opponent lives you also limit the amount of rage they can have which is relieving for a light character like M2 who can get screwed over by a little rage. This with all of his killing Aerials, one of the best projectiles in the game, along with kill confirms that seem to be growing by the day (down tilt near ledge into tip of up air into fair kills so early it's not even funny) M2 is one of the best stock takers in the game and he'll only get better at it in the future.

That's unfortunate

Nothing is perfect so like PGR seems more along the lines of exactly what you mentioned, the top 50 basically being a photograph of when people hit their peak for the season and not exactly where they should be and will always be back then and even in the future. (just like a tier list ironically)
Ex. Ally Captain Zack and Komo falling 10+ or almost 10 placings while Wadi elegant Cosmos etc. got super high up while not being on it before or pretty far down.

Not saying either of the 6 players are bad, especially the last 3. But the players PGR rank is possibly the highest they'll get and most likely gonna drop by more than 10 come the next season ending.

Also the ZeRo win is good but elegant also has some wins under his belt that Mr.R doesn't have from the top 10 that we know so far like Ken MKleo Salem and Larry lurr.
I might be wrong on MKleo, I forget which tourney it was where I think Mr.R beat him in WF but lost GF, not sure if it's the right players if so remove MKleo. from that list.

But that's whatever, any wins I'm prolly not remembering off the top of my head is fine since PGR can fill in the blanks whenever they release the final vid. Elegant got 11th and that's just the cusp of top 10 so that's still really good and Mr.R is still consistent enough to keep his top 10 so cheers to both players either way.
Suar said on Reddit that the LCQ counts but it wasn't featured in the PGR because they wanted to reduce clutter. So it does count but it's not visually seen.

Your right about the win on MKLeo, Mr R beat KEN at a European major twice I think? Idk about Larry.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
it seems like you just want to have a discussion to feel smart.
Or........

I was just confused as to how aerials can be classified within a ground game, when they’re two distinct states. Still a tad bit confused on cloud’s prowess, but I’m re-reading it all though.

On the punish/read situation, I’m not thinking about after Ryu/cloud sees someone do something, I’m thinking in the midst of them real they do. I know what read/punishes are, we thought in different scenarios. But since movement is a constant thing......then yeah.

But Dang, I feel embarrassed lol. I’ve never really heard of this outside of SHFFL games and stuff.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Pretty sure someone brought this up before but why is the tier list for Sm4sh still the V3 one on the 'Tier Lists' tab at the top of the site? Didn't even notice till I saw Diddy in second and Duck Hunt below Ike and Wario that I noticed something was off since I'm rooting through V1 again and looking at the tier list to see how much things have changed. Gunla Gunla @Shaya guessing you two would be the ones to ask since you tend to be the ones who post the articles and threads for the tier lists. Doesn't matter too much since the first page of this thread and Smash Wiki both have V4 but it just seems odd.

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
To add to the mewtwo discussion, mewtwo is FAR safer than zss when it comes to killing. Shadow ball demands respect from across the stage. Forward air can be used while rising. Grab is traditional, not a tether. Kill throws have no chance of error, unlike kill combos. You're not largely safe to simply hold shield vs mewtwo after a certain percent like you are against zss either.

Also, mewtwo has situational kill power as low as 20-30% on some characters. Falling up air into forward air x3 on bowser kills from the ledge around 20%, for example. Down tilt to neutral air to up air to forward air can kill most characters at 30% from the ledge, too. Down tilt up air forward air kills a bit later from the ledge.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The_Bookworm The_Bookworm

You can also highlight text and when you let go of the text, a small gray box should appear that gives you the option to quote or reply to it. You can also edit comments.

-

Was waiting for a G5 attendee list to be shared so I could share this here.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
G5 Round 1 pool finals matches (I think, it won't let me see the actual bracket but I can see who all is there):

A1: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: :4metaknight: vs Blacktwins :4cloud2: :4mario:
A2: Ally :4mario: vs Teb :4mario: or BestNess :4ness:
A3: MVD :4diddy: vs SuperGirlKels :4sonic: :4kirby:
A4: Charliedaking :4fox: vs Captain L :4pikachu:

B1: Falln :rosalina: vs Brood :4duckhunt:
B2: Death Arcana :4palutena: vs Karna :4sheik:
B3: Tyroy :4bayonetta2: vs Ryo :4myfriends:
B4: Cosmos :4corrinf: vs Sinji :4pacman:
B5: Mr. R :4sheik: vs KOSSismoss :4gaw:

C1: Tweek :4cloud2: :4bayonetta2: :4dk: vs Twan :4metaknight: or DKHo :4sheik:
C2: Raito :4duckhunt: vs Chag :4bayonetta2: (AEMehr's in this pool, and I would really love to see the best Mii Gunner vs the best DH)
C3: Fatality :4falcon: vs Aarvark :4villager: (Ven's in this pool)
C4: Umeki :4peach: vs Zenyou :4mario:
C5: Javi :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs Locus :4ryu:

D1: Konga :4dk: vs DSS :4metaknight:
D2: Ac :4metaknight: vs Xzax :4fox:
D3: Nairo :4zss: vs Shadow_PR :4bayonetta2:
D4: Eon :4fox: vs Legit :4diddy:

G1: Lima :4bayonetta2: vs IcyMist :4samus:
G2: Mistake :4bayonetta2: vs 8BitMan :4rob: :4diddy:
G3: Dabuz :rosalina: vs Meteor :4sonic: (Sharpy's in this pool)
G4: ESAM :4pikachu: :4samus: vs TLTC :4palutena:
G5: VoiD :4sheik: vs Tamushika :4duckhunt:
G6: 6WX :4sonic: vs Razo :4peach:
G7: K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy: vs Stroder :4greninja:
G8: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: vs Bedgar :4sheik:

H1: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Matcha :4mewtwo: or Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2:
H2: Elegant :4luigi: vs Saiki :4sheik:
H3: Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Luisfer :4diddy:
H4: WaDi :4mewtwo: vs Twi :4peach:
H5: Larry Lurr :4fox: vs DeluxeMenu :4bowser:
H6: DarkShad :4ryu: vs Rich Brown :4mewtwo: (Agehasama is in here as well)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

G5 Round 1 pool finals matches (I think, it won't let me see the actual bracket but I can see who all is there):

B1: Falln :rosalina: vs BC :4villager: :4cloud2:(?)
B2: Samsora :4peach: vs Karna :4sheik:

C2: Raito :4duckhunt: vs Chag :4bayonetta2: (AEMehr's in this pool, and I would really love to see the best Mii Gunner vs the best DH)

D4: Eon :4fox: vs Pon :4ganondorf: (Pon's the #2 Ganon in Japan, and I don't recognize anyone else here)

H1: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Matcha :4mewtwo: or Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2:
H3: Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Cagt :4littlemac: :4feroy:
It sure is stacked in there! It is nice to see Sinji in there, his Pac-Man in 2015 was doing really well and if he kept those results, Pac-Man would have been lower-mid tier. Still am curious to see how well everyone will do!

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

B1: Falln :rosalina: vs BC :4villager: :4cloud2:(?)
B2: Samsora :4peach: vs Karna :4sheik:

D4: Eon :4fox: vs Pon :4ganondorf: (Pon's the #2 Ganon in Japan, and I don't recognize anyone else here)

H3: Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Cagt :4littlemac: :4feroy:
I'm surprised ZeRo, Abadango, Kameme, and probably muitiple other top level players I didn't notice aren't here (Komorikiri isn't here either but that doesn't really surprise me after last year lol). Considering how big these were the last two years, I'm kinda surprised. I'm guessing it's because of how bad last year's went though.

Either way though, it's still big. I'm mostly excited to see how the Duck Hunts, Sinji, Elegant, and WaDi do

Edit: Wait, where's Brood? Isn't he attending?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm surprised ZeRo, Abadango, Kameme, and probably muitiple other top level players I didn't notice aren't here (Komorikiri isn't here either but that doesn't really surprise me after last year lol). Considering how big these were the last two years, I'm kinda surprised. I'm guessing it's because of how bad last year's went though.

Either way though, it's still big. I'm mostly excited to see how the Duck Hunts, Sinji, Elegant, and WaDi do

During Twitch ZeRo said that he would release a video about why he is not going to Genesis. I think we are all aware that ZeRo is still the best Smash 4 player. I am curious though, will MkLeo or Salem be in second? Nairo has a slight chance but he is most likely ending up in third. Same here, when you mentioned all of those players. I am curious to see how Dabuz, MkLeo, Salem and Nairo will do.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Whoops, he is. He'll fight Falln :rosalina: in his pool, probably for the finals over BC. Thanks for catching that.

EDIT: Samsora isn't going, so my next guess for that pool is Death Arcana :4palutena:.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I just noticed KEN isn't here either.

I figured Komorikiri wouldn't attend after what happened last year, but the other plays surprises me, espicially Brood since I remember people getting funds for him (and Raito and Tamushika) to get there. I wonder why that is. Probably just because of last year though.

Whoops, he is. He'll fight Falln :rosalina: in his pool, probably for the finals over BC. Thanks for catching that.
Oh okay, that would explain it. I was wondering what happened there

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
It sure is stacked in there! It is nice to see Sinji in there, his Pac-Man in 2015 was doing really well and if he kept those results, Pac-Man would have been lower-mid tier. Still am curious to see how well everyone will do!
Well Sinji has placed very well at a few majors recently (I believe a few 17ths) and I don’t think people’s opinion of Pac-Man has risen too much because of it. I think he has an edge when he travels out of region due to the fact that almost nobody has high level Pac-Man experience especially at Sinji’s caliber. Also Sinji is just an amazing player who is always coming up with new tech for his character

Top Bottom