• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This video over here basically explains the recorded advanced techniques/mechanics that are in Smash Ultimate, as of the beta built.

You can also cancel dash into pretty much ANYTHING!!!! (Basically the cancelling-dash-using-crouch-into-anything technique from Melee, except you simply need to simply return stick into nuetral then do whatever.)

I want the game. I really do.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
This video over here basically explains the recorded advanced techniques/mechanics that are in Smash Ultimate, as of the beta built.

You can also cancel dash into pretty much ANYTHING!!!! (Basically the cancelling-dash-using-crouch-into-anything technique from Melee, except you simply need to simply return stick into nuetral then do whatever.)

I want the game. I really do.
You can cancel a dash into sonic speed
THAT'S IT! THATS THE META

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man, this is my first time here in a while! Anyway, I do wonder how Hyrule Saga will turn out. We got Tsage :4link:, Koolaid :4sheik:and Ri-ma :4tlink: last second! Only 6 days left, and a few more days after for CEO 2018, and an end to the PGR v5 season!

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Mvg league is uploading vods from last night, if you guys missef any matches for Smash Ultimate.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
So in probably the most ridiculously anime thing I have seen in a while, SonicFox basically called out Zero. Zero is going to give SonicFox three months of practice in Ultimate, and the two will go at it.

If Zero wins, SonicFox has to keep playing competitive Smash. If SonicFox wins, man, he gets to hold onto that W foreeeeverrrr.

I love this call out tho because it does three things:

1.) Raises interest in Smash across the FGC at large.
2.) Gets Zero motivated to take on a major competitive challenge.
3.) Let’s us see possibly the most dominant fighting game player of all time dive into a new, unfamiliar area.

My take: Nobody should count SonicFox out of anything. He’s crushed naysayers repeatedly for “yeah, he may be good at X, but Y game is different.”
And general FGC concepts do transfer into Smash. It’ll be interesting to see how SF does outside of setplay heavy games.

On the other hand, Zero is Zero. He’s a neutral monster, and is going to be transitioning into a game where he can take the gloves off, in terms of aggression and pressure.

Hopefully, SonicFox has at least been dabbling a bit more in platform fighter stuff, because the transference of skill can only take you so far. If release-Ultimate still has lower hitstun, the more esoteric forms of pressure and advantage are going to heavily favor Zero.

I’m hype af, basically.

Nah

Smash Champion
why/what for exactly did SonicFox "call out" ZeRo for?

like gimme some background info on this

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
not to mention if ssonicfox loses he has to keep playing smash.
Stakes are looking nice and high if you ask me.
speaking of, heyo, e3 takeaway time, but first:
Geist won COST s4 with bayo, beating darkshad, fatality, and fatality again to win from winners side, fatality beat darkshad in losers finals.

anywhoo
re; Sonic the Edgehog (nuthin' personnel)

dash cancelling is going to allow him some insane options up close. dash cancel jab on shield and then crossup with either a pivot grab or dash cancelled bair, it's gonna be nuts. Easily one of the characters I'm most excited about trying out and seeing at a top level.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
This gonna be another Lowtiergod vs Anti moment?
Also Sonic if is top tier again I will die of inner-6-year-oldism, something feels so right about the fastest character in the game being also one of the best characters in the game.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Hyrule Saga is added to the PGR list. It is going to be the season's first A+ tiered event! 740 Attendees!

PGR'ed Players
Salem:4bayonetta:
Nairo:4zss:
MkLeo:4marth::4cloud2:
Tweek:4cloud2::4bayonetta:
Dabuz:rosalina:
Larry Lurr:4fox:
VoiD:4sheik:
Mr. R:4sheik:
Elegant:4luigi:
WaDi:4mewtwo:
Ally:4mario:
komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:
Marss:4zss:
ANTi:4mario::4cloud2::4zss:
Samsora:4peach:
Lima:4bayonetta2:
Darkshad:4ryu:
Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
Raito:4duckhunt:
NAKAT:4fox::4ness:
Charlie:4fox::4bayonetta2:
falln:rosalina:
Light:4fox:
K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy:
Zenyou:4mario:
AC:4metaknight:

Notable Players
Eon:4fox:
Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
Stroder:4greninja:
Legit:4diddy:
Rags:4metaknight:
SDX:4mewtwo:
Captain L:4pikachu:
Karna:4sheik:
Sigma:4tlink:
T:4link:
sinnyboo242:4sheik:
BestNess:4ness:
Ri-ma:4tlink:
Dynamo:4cloud2:
Zephyr:4cloud2:
Vermillion:4cloud2:
big_mak:4sheik:
Blank:4sheik:
Zan:4tlink:
S2H:4metaknight:
DSS:4metaknight:
VaLoR:4sonic:
Meteor:4sonic:
Biddy:4tlink:
Scizor:4link:
PiXL:4ryu:
Aarvark:4villager:
Chag:4bayonetta2:
Rich Brown:4mewtwo:
Koolaid:4sheik:
Razo:4peach:
3xA:4tlink:
Nom:4sheik:
Taternator:4wendy:
Mekos:4lucas:
Rizeasu:4bowser::4marth::4zelda:
Soulimar:4olimar:
NovaPixl:4lucas:
Candy:4fox:
Kswz:4pit:
yeti:4tlink::4megaman:
Maister:4gaw:
ShiNe:4lucas::4villager:
Mago:4bowser:
Kiraflax:4pit::4darkpit:
ven:4zelda:
Onpu:4zelda:
TLTC:4palutena:
Adom:4ganondorf:
pu55yk1ng:4littlemac:
Cagt:4littlemac:
Purple Guy:4zelda:
Izaw:4link:
Daybreak:4falco:
Keitaro:4falco::4miibrawl:
AEMehr:4miigun:
Pon:4ganondorf:
Ray Kalm:4ganondorf:
Death Arcana:4palutena:

This is indeed a Sheik invasion. XD
If there is anyone else, let me know and I will update this list.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
News: Reggie Interviews About Ultimate, Melee, and ESports.
I think I am a little late but there is an interview of Reggie talking about the competitive Smash scene itself. He also talks about Ultimate in competitive play. Most noticably, Reggie said that there is a possibility for some sort of PRO CIRCUIT for Ultimate and Melee. He also talked about Melee such as Hungrybox, UCF, and a possibility for large prize pots. Seems like the competitive Smash community will be setting in a bright future.

Link: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/23804948/qa-nintendo-e3-future-esports

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Just to inform everyone on the whole Zero/SonicFox thing, it all started from a tweet from Cosmos stating that he'll "enjoy watching SonicFox get owned" in the next Smash to that effect, and Sonic replied that he will become the best player in months. This is where Zero came in, saying that he will not welcome SonicFox to the community because of some micro interaction that they had 3 years ago. It all got cleared up of course, but now Sonic states that he's going to commit to becoming the best in the next Smash and a bunch of top players are either offering to train him or just naysay him.

So that's the "beef" in a nutshell. Cool to see other FGC players planning to invest in Smash though.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Hyrule Saga is added to the PGR list. It is going to be the season's first A+ tiered event! 740 Attendees!

PGR'ed Players

Notable Players

:ultlink:: 3
:ultzelda:: 4
:ultganondorf:: 3
:ulttoonlink:: 5
:ultsheik:: 10
Sheik seems to have the most amount, This is a good amount of Sheiks if I were you.

Also these Smash Ultimate Icons looks clean yet simple, I love it!

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
:ultlink:: 3
:ultzelda:: 4
:ultganondorf:: 3
:ulttoonlink:: 5
:ultsheik:: 10
Sheik seems to have the most amount, This is a good amount of Sheiks if I were you.

Also these Smash Ultimate Icons looks clean yet simple, I love it!
That is strange, because the Ultimate icons are invisible to me.

I knew from the start that this event will be crawling with top Sheik players. Do you guys think that Sheik will win another major?

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Just to inform everyone on the whole ZeRo/SonicFox thing, it all started from a tweet from Cosmos stating that he'll "enjoy watching SonicFox get owned" in the next Smash to that effect, and Sonic replied that he will become the best player in months. This is where ZeRo came in, saying that he will not welcome SonicFox to the community because of some micro interaction that they had 3 years ago. It all got cleared up of course, but now Sonic states that he's going to commit to becoming the best in the next Smash and a bunch of top players are either offering to train him or just naysay him.

So that's the "beef" in a nutshell. Cool to see other FGC players planning to invest in Smash though.
SonicFox may be one of the greatest FGC player of all time, but could he be the best at the Platform Fighting Game? Smash but its own terms is drastically different compared to any other FGC. Unlike Traditional Fighting Games where one must defeat the opponent by depleting its health bar as quick as possible, Smash and other Platform Fighting Games requires you to push opponents offstage until they are dead. In this situation, Smash seems to be that unique snowflake that force the Traditional FGC players a new mindset and goal to achieve. Sure both TFG and PFG have some similar goals to knock down opponents but their execution is much different.

Is it possible for him being the best? Yes, but SonicFox must try harder to become the best, especially that this fighting game is much different than any other.

Of course, if ZeRo challenge SonicFox in a money match at a major such as GENESIS, SonicFox must prepare and I do not think 3 months will help him. He will either clutch out or get bodied to a similar fashion to Leffen v Chillen. But who knows??

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
SonicFox may be one of the greatest FGC player of all time, but could he be the best at the Platform Fighting Game? Smash but its own terms is drastically different compared to any other FGC. Unlike Traditional Fighting Games where one must defeat the opponent by depleting its health bar as quick as possible, Smash and other Platform Fighting Games requires you to push opponents offstage until they are dead. In this situation, Smash seems to be that unique snowflake that force the Traditional FGC players a new mindset and goal to achieve. Sure both TFG and PFG have some similar goals to knock down opponents but their execution is much different.

Is it possible for him being the best? Yes, but SonicFox must try harder to become the best, especially that this fighting game is much different than any other.

Of course, if ZeRo challenge SonicFox in a money match at a major such as GENESIS, SonicFox must prepare and I do not think 3 months will help him. He will either clutch out or get bodied to a similar fashion to Leffen v Chillen. But who knows??
He has a bunch of top players offering to train him. I think given proper coaching + Smash 4 and 5 aren't particularly tech heavy especially with inputs compared to other fighters, SonicFox should be able to get good at the game quickly especially with him being a god tier FGC player.

That said I would hedge my bets on Zero winning purely for the monumental experience he has with smash games compared to Sonic, but given about a year of competing Sonic would easily be one of the best in the world, no doubt about it (i mean look at all the newcomers in Smash 4 who got on the PGR). There's still a chance Sonic could win too, after all Luhtie only had about 9 months of competing when he beat Zero at Civil War, in a losing matchup no less.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
This gonna be another Lowtiergod vs Anti moment?
Also Sonic if is top tier again I will die of inner-6-year-oldism, something feels so right about the fastest character in the game being also one of the best characters in the game.
Heh. LTG is a mid tier player in terms of technique but consistently holds onto a scrub like mentality that has always held him back. It’s hard to tell how much is schtick versus genuine mindset.

SonicFox plays to win and breaks games down in a systematic and efficient way. It’s why he can jump into an Arcsys anime fighter like DBZF and go toe to toe with a god like GO1. Or! Like being able to transition from the NRS games into team games like Skull Girls.

Zero shouldn’t, and won’t, underestimate him.

He has a bunch of top players offering to train him. I think given proper coaching + Smash 4 and 5 aren't particularly tech heavy especially with inputs compared to other fighters, SonicFox should be able to get good at the game quickly especially with him being a god tier FGC player.

That said I would hedge my bets on Zero winning purely for the monumental experience he has with smash games compared to Sonic, but given about a year of competing Sonic would easily be one of the best in the world, no doubt about it (i mean look at all the newcomers in Smash 4 who got on the PGR). There's still a chance Sonic could win too, after all Luhtie only had about 9 months of competing when he beat Zero at Civil War, in a losing matchup no less.
Smash may not have a high mechanical execution barrier like Arcsys games or something, but there are unassuming things in competitive Smash that we take for granted. For instance, the concept and execution of spacing in Smash is easy to grasp, but difficult to keep consistent as you compete with higher level players.

Smash players also make do with less precision in their controls. All. The. Time.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So in probably the most ridiculously anime thing I have seen in a while, SonicFox basically called out Zero. Zero is going to give SonicFox three months of practice in Ultimate, and the two will go at it.

If Zero wins, SonicFox has to keep playing competitive Smash. If SonicFox wins, man, he gets to hold onto that W foreeeeverrrr.

I love this call out tho because it does three things:

1.) Raises interest in Smash across the FGC at large.
2.) Gets Zero motivated to take on a major competitive challenge.
3.) Let’s us see possibly the most dominant fighting game player of all time dive into a new, unfamiliar area.

My take: Nobody should count SonicFox out of anything. He’s crushed naysayers repeatedly for “yeah, he may be good at X, but Y game is different.”
And general FGC concepts do transfer into Smash. It’ll be interesting to see how SF does outside of setplay heavy games.

On the other hand, Zero is Zero. He’s a neutral monster, and is going to be transitioning into a game where he can take the gloves off, in terms of aggression and pressure.

Hopefully, SonicFox has at least been dabbling a bit more in platform fighter stuff, because the transference of skill can only take you so far. If release-Ultimate still has lower hitstun, the more esoteric forms of pressure and advantage are going to heavily favor Zero.

I’m hype af, basically.
ZeRo pulled a Gill from Street Fighter: Third Strike.

Using a challenge to further his agenda while the actual winner and loser of the fight is not really relevant.

ZeRo true messiah of Smash confirmed.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Using a challenge to further his agenda while the actual winner and loser of the fight is not really relevant.

Can someone explain why the Smash Ultimate stock icons in this website are still invisible to me?

Guido65

Smash Apprentice

PGR'ed Players

Notable Players

Espeon CH should be added to notable players list. He's probably the third best link at this point.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Espeon CH should be added to notable players list. He's probably the third best link at this point.
Really? I never heard of him, and the Smashwiki has nothing on him.

Region, notable performances... can you supply me with this info?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Smasher:EspeonCH

Only has really had one bad placement from every tournament he's went too and fwiw at battle of bc 2 he almost beat m2k who is far better at the game than he is.
Those performances are in smaller/local events. While consistently good, other Links (particularly some of the European ones). There are no footage of him participating in any events in 2018 till now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Seems to of backfired because now Sonic Fox is saying that Smash is indeed not a fighting game.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Probably quite a bit considering how well versed Dabuz is in the matchup.
He lost to VoiD at Smash'N'Splash 4, then to Vinnie at ALPHA II. I don't think we should jump to conclusions about Dabuz vs Sheik yet.

Also just noticed that SmashBoards was tweaked to match Smash Ultimate.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Hyrule Saga has just passed Civil War making it the largest 2gg event ever and the 13th largest smash 4 tournament it also just needs one more entrant to pass the 12th largest smash 4 tournament Evo Japan

if it wasn't for frostbite this would be the largest smash 4 event in 2018 so far

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Hyrule Saga has just passed Civil War making it the largest 2gg event ever and the 13th largest smash 4 tournament it also just needs one more entrant to pass the 12th largest smash 4 tournament Evo Japan

if it wasn't for frostbite this would be the largest smash 4 event in 2018 so far
That is strange. Hyrule Saga has way more top players participating than in Frostbite. Is it in terms of entrants.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Last edited:
Top Bottom