• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about that they can all keep up with cloud's except for Robin and Roy range and can all gimp him really well
Corrin can't really gimp Cloud all that well and landing against him is such a struggle. Oh, and let's not forget that if he has limit he can make getting off ledge really hard. Slight advantage Cloud (if you look at notable Corrin MU charts you'll see that they all agree with this).

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Corrin can't really gimp Cloud all that well and landing against him is such a struggle. Oh, and let's not forget that if he has limit he can make getting off ledge really hard. Slight advantage Cloud (if you look at notable Corrin MU charts you'll see that they all agree with this).
I get what you are trying to say I will consider this

edit: i checked the matchup charts and the cloud player seen to believe he beats corrin but corrin players believe that they go even

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Regarding Bayo and losing matchups: I don't think Bayo loses any matchups except maybe Corrin, but I think she goes even with a lot more characters than most people seem to think she does.
Literally zero top Marth/Lucina and Rosalina players believe they beat Bayonetta, two of them are even dubbed “Bayo slayers.”

Y’all gotta stop.
That has literally zero relevance to whether or not they win the MU.
apparently maister won combo breaker with game and watch and beat john numbers and esam
Friendly reminder that Maister got 13th at G5, beating both Mistake and Fatality, but no one talked about it because everyone was busy being salty that Bayo got second

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Friendly reminder that Maister got 13th at G5, beating both Mistake and Fatality, but no one talked about it because everyone was busy being salty that Bayo got second
I get that no matter how amazing a tournament is if a Bayonetta does well at all no matter how crazy the story is people will automatically hate the tournament

Genesis 5 was an amazing tournament with so many upsets

I don't care if there is a Bayonetta in the top 8 as long as the sets are exciting it doesn't matter

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Yeah, man, the best players of said characters definitely don’t have any relevancy in determining MUs.

Yikes, bro.
Captain L is probably the best Puff player, and he thinks she's a mid tier. Should we listen to him?

Like Nah (I think?) said, what top players think really doesn't matter. It's why they think it that's important.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Captain L is probably the best Puff player, and he thinks she's a mid tier. Should we listen to him?
No, because he is one person. An outlier. It’s different when there’s a group of people who share the same opinion. Not only that, but results and theory both disprove his opinion.

Like Nah (I think?) said, what top players think really doesn't matter. It's why they think it that's important.
Right. These Marth/Lucina and Rosalina players are the best of their characters and play against the best Bayonettas; they (should) know how their tools interact with her’s, how to play neutral, and etc. They all have reasons to back up why they all believe none of them beat her.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Right. These Marth/Lucina and Rosalina players are the best of their characters and play against the best Bayonettas; they (should) know how their tools interact with her’s, how to play neutral, and etc. They all have reasons to back up why they all believe none of them beat her.
I think you missed the point of his quote. Their opinions themselves aren't what's important, it's the reasons for those opinions.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
No, because he is one person. An outlier.
Outlier compared to whom? There are no other top Puffs to disagree with him.

Not only that, but results and theory both disprove his opinion.
The same can be said of Marth losing to Bayo. Even if it couldn't, you've just admitted that results and theory are more important than the opinions of top players, so why is it that whenever someone says Marth beats Bayo, you argue with top players' opinions instead of results or theory?

Right. These Marth/Lucina and Rosalina players are the best of their characters and play against the best Bayonettas; they (should) know how their tools interact with her’s, how to play neutral, and etc.
First of all, etc. stands for et cetera, which is Latin for "and so on." "And etc" is a sin.

Second of all, everything you just said also applies to Captain L.

Third of all, the operative word there is "should". Top players are misinformed all the time, and not everyone is a lab monster.

They all have reasons to back up why they all believe none of them beat her.
And Captain L has reasons he thinks Puff is a mid tier. Trump has reasons he thinks building a wall along the southern border will stop illegal immigration. Hitler had reasons for the Holocaust. Saying someone "has reasons" for something is a statement that's nebulosity is near unrivaled. What those reasons are is the important part, not that they exist.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Fwiw, on the flip side of the coin, Lima thinks Bayo loses to Marcina and Cloud. Mistake hasn’t released a MU chart, but in an AMA, he noted that the Marth MU was “hard”. Tweek believes Marth is probably “even.”

Dunno about current Zack or Salem opinions.

Of note, none of them believe that Rosa wins.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
^There are way too many posts of late that hold little intrinsic value (see above for example). Can we please get this thread back on track to more meaningful and informative posts? I'm sure it'd be much appreciated!

To make a relevant post- Samsora has really been showing up with respect to tournament placings lately. The addition of Rosalina to his arsenal is proving to be effective in this previous tournament, taking Lima to game 5 at Momocon. I'm really looking forward to what he'll be able to accomplish during the summer.

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
I think you missed the point of his quote. Their opinions themselves aren't what's important, it's the reasons for those opinions.
I didn't miss that at all.
"They all have reasons to back up why they believe [what they do]."

Outlier compared to whom? There are no other top Puffs to disagree with him.
MASTER PUFFY, LeeT, Dol, and Speclar are all notable Jigglypuff players. And I could even be missing some.

The same can be said of Marth losing to Bayo. Even if it couldn't, you've just admitted that results and theory are more important than the opinions of top players, so why is it that whenever someone says Marth beats Bayo, you argue with top players' opinions instead of results or theory?
I'm personally not a fan of using results to determine a MU because then you get stuff like this:
I don't get why people keep using Leo to prove that Marth wins. Leo is arguably the best player in the world right now, it shouldn't be a surprise that he's beating all these other Bayonetta players; he's just the better player, plain and simple.

First of all, etc. stands for et cetera, which is Latin for "and so on." "And etc" is a sin.
Post quality here recently really has gone so far down that we're really calling out grammatical errors in arguments.

Come on, bruh.

Second of all, everything you just said also applies to Captain L.
Correct, but I just explained how he is an outlier.

Third of all, the operative word there is "should". Top players are misinformed all the time, and not everyone is a lab monster.
Correct, that's why I included that word. There are 58 characters in the game, knowing every single MU isn't likely. However, until you can prove that they aren't proficient enough in the MU, my point still stands. They are extremely successful players, they clearly know what they are doing.

And Captain L has reasons he thinks Puff is a mid tier. Trump has reasons he thinks building a wall along the southern border will stop illegal immigration. Hitler had reasons for the Holocaust. Saying someone "has reasons" for something is a statement that's nebulosity is near unrivaled. What those reasons are is the important part, not that they exist.
Nice exaggeration, I get your point though. It would be nice if they explained their reasons for why they believe the way they do. However, I'm more inclined to believe that they have good reasons considering they all agree that Marth and Rosalina just don't beat her. There are no extreme outliers in this situation.

NairWizard

Somewhere
lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

This thread's post quality truly plummeted in the last year, but let's not go as far as comparing things to Hitler. Come on, at least cut the logical absurdities.

Nah

Smash Champion
I think it would be best to not just assume that top players have good or valid reasons for their MU charts. I would hope that I don’t need to remind people about how top players have sometimes said whack **** in the past.

And either way, it’s not helpful/useful to the community if we don’t know what the reasons are.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
wow this is what I mean anytime someone talks about matchup charts everything falls apart so I will change the topic

Q&A who do you think will win smash and splash

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
wow this is what I mean anytime someone talks about matchup charts everything falls apart so I will change the topic

Q&A who do you think will win smash and splash
I honestly believe Dabuz will win Smash and splash, he's just a very calculated player and if you go to game 5 with him then he'll most likely know your playstyle throughly.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

This thread's post quality truly plummeted in the last year, but let's not go as far as comparing things to Hitler. Come on, at least cut the logical absurdities.
Not surprised someone brought this up.

Reductio ad Hitlerum isn't inherently fallacious. It's a fallacy when you say "Hitler supported X and Hitler was bad therefore X is bad" because unless X is the Holocaust or WWII, it's not relevant to why Hitler is considered evil.

That's not the argument I made, though. If you'll recall, Illusion said
They all have reasons to back up why they all believe none of them beat her.
In its most distilled form, this says "X has/had reasons for believing Y therefore Y is correct." All I did was provide examples where this logic fails, and because I assume none of us here are Neo-Nazis, I figured Hitler would make a good example. That said, I definitely could've phrased it better. "The Holocaust" is pretty vague.

I'm personally not a fan of using results to determine a MU because then you get stuff like this:
That doesn't answer why you don't use theory.

I don't get why people keep using Leo to prove that Marth wins.
As a general rule, they don't.

Leo is arguably the best player in the world right now, it shouldn't be a surprise that he's beating all these other Bayonetta players; he's just the better player, plain and simple.
Saying "Leo is just better" is doing everyone a disservice. Why is Leo just better? What does he do that's letting him beat Bayo's so consistently, while other Marths fail to do the same? Writing top players off as "just better" obscures what they're actually doing that makes them that good.

Post quality here recently really has gone so far down that we're really calling out grammatical errors in arguments.

Come on, bruh.
Is that a bad thing? I pointed it out because it annoys me, not because you not knowing Latin detracts from your argument.

However, I'm more inclined to believe that they have good reasons considering they all agree that Marth and Rosalina just don't beat her. There are no extreme outliers in this situation.
The fact that they all agree is no guarantee they have good reasons for it. It's much safer to discount their opinions on the subject until we get their reasoning.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Today, I am going to write BIG SUMMARY, mainly competitve history and meta of Smash 4. Since we are very close to Smash 5, I am wanting to give you some background knowledge and history of how Smash 4 in competitive play had changed during the years.

It will be uploaded very quickly..because this thread has been silent in just a day lol.

Edit: I saw the issue. Thanks RK! :)
Shorten it and made more Smash 4 compacted. I just wanna let you know that this summary of what I am talking about is about the changes in competitive Smash 4, tier list, players, and characters involving the meta throughout 2014-2017, not general history in Smash 4..just wanna let you know!

Long Summary of Competitive Smash 4 and the Meta Throughout Its Life Span

Early Competitive Smash 4: Smash 4 Invitational, ZeRo's Dominance and Balance Patches (2014-2015)
Before Smash 4's released in both Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo announced an invitational for the Smash professionals. Many professionals such as ZeRo, Hungrybox, Ken, KoreanDJ, PPMD, aMSa, and many others were invited in to win the invitational. Unlike any tournament, this invitational focused on a more casual direction as they introduced items, free-for-alls, and many stages that were obviously deemed illegal by competitive standpoint. Nonetheless, many viewers were very excited to see some Smash 4 action while crossing their fingers to determine whether their favorite players will make it into Grand Finals. At the end ZeRo won his first ever tournament, defeating Hungrybox with Zero-Suit Samus.

Picture: ZeRo winning Smash 4 Invitational after defeating Hungrybox.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS had a small amount of time in the limelight from September 12th until the end of December. Since the 3DS game started with version 1.0.0., it initially had a plethora of bugs, some of which was either an enhancement or was a deterrence to the competitive scene. DACUS was still in from Brawl, but only on 3DS. DACUS was eventually patched out. The vast majority of the competitive scene now utilizes the Wii U game, as it allows for superior viewing quality and far better control capabilities. Besides online play, the 3DS version of the game has fallen into obscurity. The Umebura tournament series was among the only national level tournaments ever held for 3DS until it was obscured once again.

2015 marks the first year of Smash 4 Wii U's competitive timeline. This Smash game had a unique start compared to previous iterations of the Smash series. Players were able to "hit the ground running" going into the new year. Infamously, Diddy Kong's powerful throw combos called the "Hoo-Hah", dominated competitive play, and Diddy dittos were common, much to the disapproval of spectators. However, Diddy Kong was eventually nerfed incoming patches. Many balance patches and five new DLCs characters released in 2015 resulted in an unstable metagame. There was even once a debate over the legality of custom moves, which were allowed at EVO 2015, but banned in most tournaments soon afterward.

Throughout 2014-2015, one Chilean player named ZeRo was widely considered the undisputed best. Formerly a Brawl Meta Knight main, ZeRo co-mains Diddy and Sheik and dominate every tournament he entered. ZeRo's dominance led to him taking majors such as Apex 2015, EVO 2015, and The Big House 5. He was very famous for his infamous 56-streak wins throughout 2 years. ZeRo even became the first person at EVO to not lose a single game. Because of his undisputed dominance, some may call him "The Only God of Smash" while others heavily criticized him for ruining the meta. His dominant 56-streak, however, ended when Nairo finally beat ZeRo and win MLG World Finals 2015. Nairo became the only player to eliminate ZeRo in a Smash 4 tournament in 2015.

The Middle Ground of Smash 4: Rise to the Underdogs and the Rise of Non-American Players (2016)
This year saw the release of the last two DLC characters, Corrin and Bayonetta. Bayonetta was seen as a highly controversial character, due to her powerful combo game, allowing her to zero-death many characters, and Witch Time giving her one of the strongest punish games in Smash 4. Ironically, Bayonetta was notably banned from Europe, whom they voted Bayonetta as the highest voted character in the Smash Ballot. However, significant nerfs, most notably patch 1.1.6., brought Bayonetta on the more even ground with other characters, and the bans were mostly lifted. The lack of any patches after 1.1.6. finally gave the metagame time to develop without any interruptions.

While last year has some notable non-American players such as ZeRo, Mr. R and Ally dominating the early-Smash 4 game, the American smashers were faced with the significantly more apparent non-American players, especially Japan. Starting with Genesis 3, this tournament featured Japan's greatest players at that time such as Ranai, komorikiri, Abadango, and many other Japanese players who wanted to compete for their country. ZeRo vs. Ranai was heavily anticipated as many Smashers heavily debated whether ZeRo could handle the greatest Japanese player. ZeRo and Ranai eventually met and, in a tense match, led to ZeRo making a fantastic victory against Ranai 3-2. ZeRo eventually won GENESIS 3 while defeating Dabuz.

Picture: ZeRo and Ranai preparing to battle in Genesis 3 while the crowd watches in anticipation.
After completing a few matches, ZeRo takes a brief absence from the competitive scene due to medical issues. With ZeRo's absence and Nairo unable to maintain the consistency he had the previous year, the meta gave way for players ranked below both of them to rise. Abadango showed dominance with his Mewtwo after his won Pound 2016, Hyuga showing some upsets in multiple tournaments, alongside Ally growing much stronger, it seems that ZeRo may have been few steps behind. Upon ZeRo's return to the scene in May, ZeRo was no longer the dominant force he was previously, with a wider array of players defeating him compared to before the hiatus. Ally notably holds a positive record over ZeRo since the onset of patch 1.1.6. as a result, defeating him at Get On My Level 2016, Smash 'N' Splash 2, and Super Smash Con 2016. The 2016 summer season was defined as the rise of Mario in the metagame as ANTi won CEO 2016 and Ally won EVO 2016 with using mostly Mario.

Characters who were once inferior to most of the cast were given a fantastic push thanks to efforts from their dedicated players. Abadango used Mewtwo, who was placed 37th in the first tier, to win Pound 2016. Kameme used Mega Man, a middle tier character, to place 2nd at EVO 2016. Mr. E and MKLeo used Marth to win countless upsets and even win tournaments, greatly helped Marth as he rose from low tier to a top tier character. Taiheita used Lucas with force in Smash Con and Umebura Majors. Even Heavyweights such as Bowser was also given a fantastic push thanks to the efforts of Nairo, Larry Lurr, and Tweek. Because of this, many people began to realize that many characters in this game are not as inbalance than they thought. Later dedicated players also pushed many characters to their best.

MKLeo, who was well known for defeating Mr. R at Smash Factor 4 a year prior, secured a US visa in October 2016, allowing him to enter tournaments in the United States. This led him to win his first American major by the end of the year: 2GGT: ZeRo Saga, defeating a wide array of players such as ANTi, Ally, ZeRo, VoiD and Larry Lurr while using Marth, in which led to his massive rise in the metagame, rising from simply a low tier to a top tier in just a year.

Despite heavy losses, ZeRo has slowly regained his momentum over the game, albeit not to an extent as pre-hiatus, with him winning 2GGT: Abadango Saga, The Big House 6, and UGC Smash Open. In the end, ZeRo secured his status as the best Smash 4 player in 2016.

Smash 4's Peak and Big Controversies (2017)
Throughout early 2018, the Smash 4 community saw itself on a peak in viewership and popularity. One such example is Genesis 4, where it spikes in 100K viewers. MKLeo took ZeRo's crown and won Genesis 4. Frostbite 2018's viewership was great as it peak around 40K viewers. This tournament brought an unexpected introduction to Tsu- whom he almost win the tournament but lost to ZeRo in an intense match. The ZeRo vs Tsu- match is widely considered to many Smash 4 community as among the greatest Grand Final matches in Smash 4 history. Tsu-'s dominance brought Lucario to a big rise and secure his status as a high tier character.

After Frostbite, there was another tournament that anticipates many Smashers, 2GGC: Civil War. This international tournament brought most top-level players attended, by 47 out of the 50 players listed on PGR v2. This tournament was further hyped by its story-line: Following ZeRo's unprecedented tournament losses to Ally, a strong rivalry arose between Ally and ZeRo, leading to many instances of trash talk and creation of the Twitter hashtags which were used at large by the Smash community to represent which of the two players they supported. Civil War was revealed to be one of its season finale events alongside 2GG Championship Series. Throughout Civil War, its viewership skyrocket by over 50K, many upsets occurred (e.g. ZeRo lost to Luhtie, Ally lost to Locus/ESAM, and MKLeo lost to AC), and many newer and more diverse players enter to top 8 such as Fatality, T, HIKARU, Locus, CaptainZack, etc. Because of this, it was widely considered to be one of the most important and hardest Smash 4 events of all time. In the end, Dabuz finally won 2GGC: Civil War after defeating Fatality.

Picture: A poster display both Ally and ZeRo alongside some crew members at 2GGC: Civil War.
However, after Civil War and some other tournaments, viewership in Smash 4 decline as many majors were held every week. Many players grew tired from the oversaturation of tournaments and many viewers grew more bored as they watch every tournament in every week. To make things worse, Bayonetta, despite being heavily nerfed, was able to steadily resurge back to the best character in the game widely thanks to CaptainZack, Salem, Mistake, and Lima. Because of this, more Bayonettas appeared in tourneys and many viewers grew sick of it. The oversaturation of tournaments and the Bayonetta controversy brought the Smash 4 community into an issue that they cannot resolve it. Many people debated whether Bayonetta should be banned alongside other controversial issues in this community such as Cloud in doubles and Lylat as a legal stage.

Despite this, Smash 4 headways to many rising stars. Salem, Fatality, Locus, CaptainZack, Elegant, and many others made unexpected yet fantastic performances throughout 2017. CaptainZack made his unexpected comeback at Genesis, Civil War, and CEO where he placed top 8 at all three of them. Fatality placed 2nd at both Civil War and MomoCon. Elegant's performance randomly burst at GTX and Championship. Salem, who at first place average placings in early 2017, later became the 2nd best after his EVO win alongside many others afterward.

My view in competitive Smash 4 and its future..

2018 is going right now and as I look at it, the Smash 4 community is growing more and more paranoid as its viewership is on a decline, many players quit until Smash 5's release, and Bayonetta controversy grew much stronger thanks to increasing amounts of Bayonetta players. While I am not going to talk about 2018 issue in much information, I can tell that Smash 4's future will depend on how they will survive after Smash 5 and how dedicated the TOs and the smashers will be after Smash 5. Future of Smash 4 can go in two ways: decline but resurge like Melee or decline and dissolve like Brawl.

Otherwise, we will wait and see what will Smash 4 holds in the future.

That's it for now, I may not chat in this thread frequently because I am relaxing after all the stress I suffered throughout the school year. (I made 160,000-word outline about all the history of the world which is really hard). However, I will look and discuss anything about Ness related or tournament related. Otherwise, see yall later!

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Today, I am going to write a big history for mainly Smash 4 (with some Brawl and Melee history in there)
It will be uploaded very quickly..because this thread has been silent in just a day lol.
That sounds good, documenting all of Smash 4's information will make it easier to find.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The reason this thread has gotten so quiet is because the meta is stagnant. This is in part due to Smash Switch coming up, but other than that - there are no "new" players coming for the crown, and there's only so much you can say about how everyone character in the game does vs ZSS, Rosa, or Bayo.

As the summer picks up, there's a possibility we see more action... Or we'll see interest shift even further towards the new Smash game.

Either is actually a positive outcome with plenty to discuss - but just stating why the thread is dead right now.

All this said, there are some discussions available. Like the game mechanics.

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
The reason this thread has gotten so quiet is because the meta is stagnant. This is in part due to Smash Switch coming up, but other than that - there are no "new" players coming for the crown, and there's only so much you can say about how everyone character in the game does vs ZSS, Rosa, or Bayo.

As the summer picks up, there's a possibility we see more action... Or we'll see interest shift even further towards the new Smash game.

Either is actually a positive outcome with plenty to discuss - but just stating why the thread is dead right now.

yeah the metagame for smash 4 is pretty much established at this point and is starting to become a lot more consistent just like melee

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Smash 4 has really been throughly explored at this point, theres no sort of "newcomer" player that is surprising players either.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace

We've pretty much figured out the meta as far as how things will progress towards Smash 4's end. IMO, this meta isn't that interesting, so I'm just chilling.

Reflex had an interesting post regarding his thoughts on various Smash 4 mechanics listed here: https://pastebin.com/vitzw4bV

While I'll let others discuss the other elements the main thing I concur with him on is that third jumps are way too strong of moves in Smash 4. I would like to see them either neutered in Smash 5 or have their rewards properly scaled with their risks.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
We've pretty much figured out the meta as far as how things will progress towards Smash 4's end. IMO, this meta isn't that interesting, so I'm just chilling.

Reflex had an interesting post regarding his thoughts on various Smash 4 mechanics listed here: https://pastebin.com/vitzw4bV

While I'll let others discuss the other elements the main thing I concur with him on is that third jumps are way too strong of moves in Smash 4. I would like to see them either neutered in Smash 5 or have their rewards properly scaled with their risks.
this isn't really something to worry about this happens with every competitive game after it stops being patched eventually people figure out the metagame people lose interest in the game but smash 4 wont die until smash switch comes out

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

What do you mean "third jumps". Are you talking about Bayo's triple jump glitch?

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Reflex expressed his view on Smash 4 in great detail in his post, I can agree with some of the stuff he is saying.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't even see Reflex mention third jumps or 'up specials' aside from mentioning how SDI is near useless save for against a few moves like Bayo's up and side specials. Regardless, recoveries are indeed too strong in Sm4sh. Border distances from stages are generally too small, air speeds are generally too high, air dodges start too quick, last too long and have too little endlag and up specials have generous distances, speed and/or hitboxes and aerials don't last long enough or end fast enough to beat air dodges and the angles most of them send at aren't ideal for edgeguarding. There's also only like 2 dairs in the entire game that actually meteor for the entire duration and they're on bad characters :4kirby::4zelda:.

What I did see Reflex mention is rage being a good mechanic that was just implemented poorly. I've always been on the fence about rage so I can't say if I agree or disagree with him. In general it helps heavyweights which generally suck in Smash and hinders some more viable characters like Sheik but then it also screws over low tiers like Jigglypuff and helps top tiers like ZSS.

He also mentioned the strong universal invincibility options encouraging defensive play for better or worse. Namely rolls, airdodges and ledge options. I agree with him there.

He mentions the nerfed DI and SDI giving players less options after getting hit which is where he brings up SDI helping against Bayo. He mentions the 'elevator combos' many top tiers have and says that they're largely true and inescapable because of the nerfed DI and that vertical KOs are easier due to this as well. I agree with all of this and while he doesn't mention it, the poor edgeguarding options further this. Why risk going offstage to attempt an edgeguard when your opponent has so many options to get back while avoiding you when you could just stay on stage and attempt to punish whatever option they pick where you can potentially follow it up with a more guaranteed vertical combo.

Lastly he mentions there being too much time without interactions from the players. Funny enough, I recall making a thread at the beginning of this games meta that was essentially a rant on how much I disliked the gameplay, both playing it and watching it and I recall being told that part of the issue was just the game being new and players not being used to it so they opted for defensive play and safe options. 4(?) years later and the game is still like this. DLC really didn't help.

Also, Captain L thinks Puff is mid tier? Meanwhile, last I saw, Esam thinks Pikachu only loses to Mario and Ness. Pretty crazy thoughts from Pikachu players. Oh and ZeRo thought Diddy was nowhere near as good as what most other people thought, having him down at like 5th or 8th on his tier lists. Plus, unless things have changed recently, a common issue I saw with top Fox players was their refusal to make use of the blaster and force approaches which likely affected any top Fox players mu charts.

Lastly, on the last page there was tournament results and Fatality was listed as using both Captain Falcon and Ganondorf? How many games did he use Ganondorf and what characters did he use him against?

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Lastly, on the last page there was tournament results and Fatality was listed as using both Captain Falcon and Ganondorf? How many games did he use Ganondorf and what characters did he use him against?
used him to finish off a bayo in pools

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I didn't even see Reflex mention third jumps or 'up specials' aside from mentioning how SDI is near useless save for against a few moves like Bayo's up and side specials. Regardless, recoveries are indeed too strong in Sm4sh. Border distances from stages are generally too small, air speeds are generally too high, air dodges start too quick, last too long and have too little endlag and up specials have generous distances, speed and/or hitboxes and aerials don't last long enough or end fast enough to beat air dodges and the angles most of them send at aren't ideal for edgeguarding. There's also only like 2 dairs in the entire game that actually meteor for the entire duration and they're on bad characters :4kirby::4zelda:.
I do agree with some of this stuff but not this in melee and 64 getting hit offstage pretty much meant I instant death for most characters having most characters have a good recovery means people can focus on fighting instead of knocking people offstage it also makes edgeguarding a lot more comital instead of just being free

Also, Captain L thinks Puff is mid tier? Meanwhile, last I saw, Esam thinks Pikachu only loses to Mario and Ness. Pretty crazy thoughts from Pikachu players. Oh and ZeRo thought Diddy was nowhere near as good as what most other people thought, having him down at like 5th or 8th on his tier lists
and that's there opinion so who cares

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Smash 4 has really been throughly explored at this point, theres no sort of "newcomer" player that is surprising players either.
Mistake's fairly new, Captain L and Maister are both notable up-and-comers.
There's also only like 2 dairs in the entire game that actually meteor for the entire duration and they're on bad characters :4kirby::4zelda:.
:4diddy: does, albeit because his dair only lasts one frame.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I do agree with some of this stuff but not this in melee and 64 getting hit offstage pretty much meant I instant death for most characters having most characters have a good recovery means people can focus on fighting instead of knocking people offstage it also makes edgeguarding a lot more comital instead of just being free

and that's there opinion so who cares
People tend to care about the opinions of top players simply because they're top players. Not the best reasoning but people do care. As for the first point, I feel there's a delicate balance that can be met. In 64, Melee and Brawl, there were very few good recoveries (off the top of my head there's :pikachu64::pichumelee::foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::pikachumelee::metaknight::snake::wario::pikachu2::jigglypuff:) meanwhile, in Sm4sh there's very few bad recoveries (:4drmario::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4feroy:and to a lesser extent :4charizard::4cloud::4dk::4falco::4myfriends::4robinm:). Like it or not, Smash is a fighting game that focuses on both onstage and offstage interactions to get KOs and win matches, with some characters doing better onstage like Mac while others do better offstage like Jigglypuff. Both should be manageable. Like, I'm okay with ledge trumping being in the game since it means you have to do more than just send someone far enough away that they have to grab the ledge and then grab it yourself and they're dead but in Sm4sh, it's damn near impossible to make it so most characters can't even make it to the ledge. It's partly why there's such a heavy focus on ledge trapping and vertical KOs, going offstage often isn't even worth it a good amount of the time.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

That's pretty well written and reflects a lot of my sentiments with smash 4 over the years. Especially on how overtuned rolls and air dodges are. Being someone who plays a slower character it can get quite frustrating trying to deal with what should be really bad roll backs or roll ins (mostly roll backs). Getting punished for correctly anticipating a roll back because a rolling opponent can act so quickly out of roll (most characters atleast) is pretty lame, same goes for air dodges which are even worse offenders. Most characters can act within 6 frames of their intangiblity ending which is honestly absurd when you think about it especially given how most ADs activate within 3-2 frames and last over 20 frames. Then when you factor in the input buffer you have options that are often not as punishable as they should unless you commit to a harder read and do it sooner which is often risky. I do appreciate how much lag to receive for air dodging into the ground as an attempt to discourage air dodge spam but due to quick startup speed of air dodges this often (for me atleast but it's more of a personal timing problem) causes me to accidentally air dodge into the ground when attempting to quickly land and shield.

This all just leads to like was said slower, more bait and punish heavy gameplay.

If there is one change I want in smash 5 is reworked rolls and air dodges so they are less forgiving.

Edit: Recoveries are very forgiving in this game yes and they need to be toned down that doesn't mean you have to mess with characters with bad recoveries and make them worse but way too many characters can make it back from being launched at a downward diagonal in this game which is far too overtuned.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
That's pretty well written and reflects a lot of my sentiments with smash 4 over the years. Especially on how overtuned rolls and air dodges are. Being someone who plays a slower character it can get quite frustrating trying to deal with what should be really bad roll backs or roll ins (mostly roll backs). Getting punished for correctly anticipating a roll back because a rolling opponent can act so quickly out of roll (most characters atleast) is pretty lame, same goes for air dodges which are even worse offenders. Most characters can act within 6 frames of their intangiblity ending which is honestly absurd when you think about it especially given how most ADs activate within 3-2 frames and last over 20 frames. Then when you factor in the input buffer you have options that are often not as punishable as they should unless you commit to a harder read and do it sooner which is often risky. I do appreciate how much lag to receive for air dodging into the ground as an attempt to discourage air dodge spam but due to quick startup speed of air dodges this often (for me atleast but it's more of a personal timing problem) causes me to accidentally air dodge into the ground when attempting to quickly land and shield.

This all just leads to like was said slower, more bait and punish heavy gameplay.

If there is one change I want in smash 5 is reworked rolls and air dodges so they are less forgiving.
At least they don't cancel hitstun anymore. XD

A little rework on rolls and airdodges definitely won't hurt.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
What do you mean "third jumps". Are you talking about Bayo's triple jump glitch?
He means recoveries.

My thoughts on said post:

1. Rage is a good, healthy mechanic that is implemented poorly
While I agree rage was implemented poorly, I'm not sure I'd call rage a good, healthy mechanic. I certainly think it adds an interesting dynamic to the game and I would love to see it return in a less problematic form, but neither "good" nor "healthy" are words I'd use to describe it.

Compared to pretty much every other Smash game, pressure is much more difficult to apply, and in most matchups, it doesn’t last for very long before you’re back in neutral again. The biggest culprit is just how effective rolls, airdodges, and ledge options are compared to the attacks they are used to avoid.
Can't speak to Brawl because I'm largely unfamiliar with competitive Brawl (I do know MK was broken at ledge, but I don't think anyone else was), but in Melee, ledge options (ledge option, really) are much better than they are in Sm4sh, so I'm not sure I'd consider good ledge options a culprit here. Good recoveries definitely are, though, for the same reasons they were in Brawl.

Smash 4 airdodges last for an average of 32 frames... It is comparable to the animation speed of many first Jabs).
Special mention to this bit for being blatantly incorrect. No more than 10 jab 1s are actually comparable in speed to your average airdodge.

There are a few characters who get around this with low landing lag or attack hitboxes that outlast the airdodge invincibility,
I don't think there's a single character with no way to frametrap airdodges close to the ground.

That aside, I don't disagree with his actual point here. Rolls and airdodges are very good and it makes the game very defensive.

3. The reduction of certain defensive options removes a great deal of variety on both offense and defense
I think he's exaggerating here. While the changes to DI and SDI mean that it's harder to DI out of combos, this has been replaced, to some extent, by the ability to cancel hitstun into certain actions before it's over, which limits the amount of combos that are actually true, and while DI is a lot easier now, teching is a lot harder, and missed techs can hurt a lot more. Most defensive mechanics that were nerfed have been replaced by something else in this way.

Whether you actually like these changes is a different matter entirely. I far prefer the old system for DI, especially because Sm4sh's floatier physics make extending combos harder independent of hitstun cancelling. I do prefer the less effective SDI, though; in Melee and Brawl, multihits kinda just don't work, and SDI is a big part of it. However, there is not "a great deal" less variety on offense or defense; frankly, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion right after saying airdodges and ledge options are extremely strong.
At least they don't cancel hitstun anymore. XD
They do

Top Bottom