• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Mkleo actually used Bayonetta before that at Shine 2017
He did, but she was only used to try to beat Tweek's DK. His Bayo was not that good back then, and ended up getting destroyed by him. (I also remembered that he then counterpicked to TLink, but almost won the third game.)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Everyone forgetting he tried Bayo vs Tweek's DK way back at MSM 81 (first time Tweek used DK in tournament).

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
He did, but she was only used to try to beat Tweek's DK. His Bayo was not that good back then, and ended up getting destroyed by him. (I also remembered that he then counterpicked to TLink, but almost won the third game.)
That is an example of how you cant just pick up Bayonetta and be good Mkleo practiced for many months on stream trust me i checked

Rizen

Smash Legend
hysterical populist nonsense. "Grassroots" political movements are spoken of fondly, but are also the ones that include anti-vaxxers, racial-supremacy groups, and nut-job anarchists. And well, we're currently a grassroots community, and this is our cross to bear.
Remember everyone; your vote cancels one of their's. Get out the vote 2018 & 2020.

On topic of bayo in Chicago, the best course of action is to pressure the TOs to not ban her. Through positive, non- violent action of course.

Can we make a special thread specifically for (not)banning bayo discussion?

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
That is an example of how you cant just pick up Bayonetta and be good Mkleo practiced for many months on stream trust me i checked
Yeah, combine that with the fact that she isn't an oppressive force at even low level play and the only notable results are coming from the seasoned Bayo players like Tweek and Salem she's not ban worthy.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Everyone forgetting he tried Bayo vs Tweek's DK way back at MSM 81 (first time Tweek used DK in tournament).
Yeah Leo has always had a ton of characters in his back pocket. Tweek completely dismantled Leo's Bayo with DK in that set. I don't think he got especially good with Bayo until he started practicing with Lima and Mistake, his "Bayo brothers" as he calls them.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Ryu has a slight advantage in the Corrin MU. As a sword character, Corrin can make getting into his desired space (close range) a bit difficult (though less than other swirdies), especially if he opts for an aerial approach. Her aerials are fairly powerful and have good range, but are single hit with the exception of dair. This makes it a bit easier for Ryu to escape juggle situations thanks to Focus Attack. Dragon Fang Shot is not much of a threat in this MU, with the potential exception of uncharged shot, charged bite at the edge of the stage. One thing that can be difficult to deal with is Dragon Lunge. A Ryu's ability to handle this move will usually determine who wins the match/set. It improves her mobility (making it harder to catch her) and puts Ryu in the air when successfully landed (it also has good KO potential at higher %s and can nab cheeky sweetspotted KOs offstage). Her Bair is another good spacing tool which can be hard to punish since it puts her out of Ryu's punish range. Lastly, Ryu is very susceptible to her dair gimping when he's recovering low offstage.
On the other hand, Corrin is easier to get in on compared to Marth, at least with a grounded approach (again, aerial approaches get swatted). Her lack of mobility is another great hinderance to her. Like Marth, Corrin has a great frame and weight for comboing, and has trouble getting Ryu off once he gets in. Most of her attacks are single hit (dair, pin & kick Dragon Lunge, the "charging" hitboxes of her smash attacks and jab being the exceptions), which allows him more freedom to abuse Focus and FADC. In addition, outside of Dragon Lunge and dair gimps, she doesn't have a great KO option or a a safe confirm on him. This prolongs his longevity and allows him more chances to do Ryu things. Overall I'd put this 45-55 in Ryu's favor, but a foolish Ryu who doesn't take a grounded, patient approach will be decimated by her.

Edit 2: The Ryu discord consensus is that this MU is even. Apparently we cannot jump cancel bair after shielding the lunge. I personally feel we have slight favor, however.
One small thing i'd like to add is that ryu is one of the best characters for punishing corrin's instapin when misspaced, its -13 on shield and ryu can quickly shoryu and kill corrin before she has a chance to kick back or do any option.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Remember everyone; your vote cancels one of their's. Get out the vote 2018 & 2020.
I definitely plan on countering the "anti-vaxxers, racial-supremacy groups, and nut-job anarchists."

EDIT: and to keep this from being strictly off-topic, i wish Palutena had customs lol

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
I definitely plan on countering the "anti-vaxxers, racial-supremacy groups, and nut-job anarchists."

EDIT: and to keep this from being strictly off-topic, i wish Palutena had customs lol
Palutena would be a better character if customs were legal.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
TLTC flashbacks. I miss the Superspeed and Lightweight combos.

Edit: For the Bayo stuff, I recall months ago that there was a tourney being advertised that banned all DLC. I agree with EMT~ EMT~ 's line of thinking.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace

Miis should get customs too, but yeah

Also I still don't see what makes Palu bottom 11. Is it just lack of results?

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Palutena would be a better character if customs were legal.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

This said, Glitch 4 will be streaming customs finals at 5:30 PM next Saturday, if you're interested in that.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
on the RAID thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8d8k58/raid_weekly_in_chicago_bans_bayonetta/

-RAID is a very small weekly series to begin with, hitting 17-25-ish. 39 is the biggest number of entrants at a RAID event and this was quite recently.

-A guy posts a thread of Reddit saying that Bayonetta was banned. This was the first I had heard of RAID, as I am most familiar with Poplar Creek Bowl and Ignition.

Statement from the TO: Hey guys, Santi here.

Effective immediately, Bayonetta is temporarily banned from Raid Tuesdays.

This has been something I’ve wanted to do for some time, even before we started getting more Bayo mains to the weekly. I still encourage our weekly Bayo players to come and compete - they are all skilled players and I have no doubt that they will place well without her.

However, the character itself - at least in my opinion - is toxic to the community and is broken to an extreme. I am aware that I’m not a talented player, but even so I hate fighting against her against all types of player skill levels.

I have spoken to many players about this topic and a lot of them also feel the same way. It’s a lot to get into, but in the end of the day it is my decision. I know the idea of even a few Bayos in bracket prevent other players to attend and compete (both to and outside the RT weekly)

This ban will be temporarily unless people respond to it well. I understand this will affect PR eligibility but honestly if it means her being banned I’m okay with it.

Also, in terms of doubles - the characters Cloud and Bayo are also banned.

That’s all, later!
-There are three active Bayonetta mains at RAID. Tyroy, Rose, and Razor. Unibrownies to my knowledge is a ZSS but used Bayonetta either at this particular watershed event (RAID Tuesdays 32) or had begun using her prior. Finding character information out is impossible in most cases due to a lack of VODs.

-Bozz, an apparent regular attendant, made a post on Reddit.

Bozz's statement (Not a TO, only an attendee)

ChaosBozz 199 points 1 day ago

Because I see people being sarcastic ***hats in this thread and I've attended raid a few times myself, I feel obligated to throw in my 2 cents.

Bayonetta was the reason why attendance was dropping at Raid. There's no getting around that fact. Many Chicago PR'd players are finding it more taxing than enjoyable to play against our top ranked bayonetta, Tyroy.

No one has literally anything against Tyroy, he's been a valuable part of the community for years. However his character, and to be frank, his skill with the character was so frustrating for many people to play against that they simply stopped attending.

This isn't a major TO trying to take a stance against bayo, this is a weekly trying to preserve the scene by appealing to long standing community members.
-This set off a lot of red flags for me because they mostly discussed tyroy and got immediately defensive about the decision as if it were based around him. I did not like this, and I chose to doubt the claim that attendance dropped.

-I think it could be argued that attendance may have been declining if there were special circumstances for RAID 29(?) having 39 entrants. Otherwise, attendance numbers were all over the place and there wasn't a sign of significantly decline with a recent increase occurring due to RAID 29.

-At this point, I had concerns over ethics, because I was worried that tyroy had been banned because he kept winning and Bayonetta was simply a scapegoat.

This would have been particularly absurd since no other regular RAID attendant had ever even qualified for OrionRank in 2017 despite exceedingly lenient standards that year, with big_mak being their second best player. In fact, Javi won three consecutive RAID events without dropping any games, according to the challonge brackets for 4, 5, and 6.

-I ended up posting the above graph and expressed my concerns.

-Santi, the TO of RAID, at some point compiles a list of reasons that are way less vague that the OP's post on Reddit.

The reasons santi gave are:

1) the weekly itself isn’t big enough. That’s not to say it’s because of Bayo, but because the weekly isn’t that big I believe it shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s only a 17-25 person weekly as of now

2) most of the players that do enter despise playing against Bayo. Including myself. Ever since day 1, I knew she should be ban. When she got patched I thought t was okay but it isn’t in my opinion

3) the new smash game is about to release later this year. At this point, I wanna experiment with stuff that people were too scared to try. It would affect PR eligibility, but I also want my entrants to have a good time while not wanting to even try by seeing her get selected

4) all the bayos who attend the weekly are talented players. If they do decide to continue to attend, mind you - maybe not as often - I know they will still place well. If anything, this gives them an opportunity to try with their secondaries

5) she is clearly broken. Players justify her and honestly, with money involved - I don’t blame them for picking her. But I’ve seen too many good players loose to bad bayos or less skilled players just because of her

6) I wanna work things up to the new smash. So trying things like this now will help the weekly get a vibe of what we should be doing. It isn’t the norm but i want my weekly to be unique. I’m not saying other people gotta follow me. If anything, I don’t wanna be the sheep
I don't take issue with Santi's decision or reasoning at this point since he does not focus on Tyroy and instead takes issue with the character herself. The TO accepts the fact that RAID is no longer PR eligible and I firmly believe local scenes should do whatever rulesets they want too, so my concerns over ethics don't really apply anymore based on the TO's decision.

I remain skeptical but the scale of the weekly series and the existence of multiple other series in the same subregion of Chicago leaves me to be fine with the decision.

I also agree with banning Cloud in doubles, of course, but that's become very common and is also applying to Smash & Splash and (presumably) CEO.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Can never hurt to a do a test run. Maybe like 2 or 3 weeks of it and see how it feels.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Hello everybody Switchfest coming up tomorrow it is going to be the fourth A-Tier tournament this season hope you are all excited if you are interested check out the bracket here

https://smash.gg/tournament/switchfest-1/events/smash-wii-u-singles/overview

Q&A Who do you think will win the tournament

Attendants

PGR Players
Nairo:4zss:(3rd)
MKLeo:4marth:(4th)
Tweek:4bayonetta2:(5th)
Larry Lurr:4fox:(7th)
VoiD:4sheik:(9th)
Abadango :4bayonetta::4mewtwo:(15th)
Komokiri:4cloud::4sonic::4feroy:(16th)
Cosmos :4corrinf:(17th)
Samsora :4peach: (22nd)
Shuton :4olimar:(27th)
Ratio :4duckhunt:(32nd)
Charliedaking:4fox::4bayonetta:(35th)
Falln:rosalina:(41st)
Kameme :4megaman:(44th)
Light :4fox:(47th)
K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy:(48th)
Zenyou:4mario:(49th)
AC :4metaknight::4falco:(50th)
Eon:4fox:(51st)

Other Players
Myran:4olimar:
TTLC :4palutena:
pu55yk1ng :4littlemac:
PiXL:4ryu:
Z:4pikachu:
Nicko:4shulk::4marth:
M :4shulk:
ven:4zelda:
Xzax:4fox:
VaLor :4sonic:
Candy:4fox:
Vermillion:4cloud:
Dynamo:4cloud::4sheik:
Aarvark:4villager:
Kiraflax:4pit::4darkpit::4rob:
Kswz :4pit::4darkpit:
Virum :4charizard:

Hope it is going to be a great tournament I'm also really excited for Get On My Level 2018 i hope we get the attendance list soon i will be posting about it as soon as i get it

Bonus Fact my favourite tournament so far this year is Genesis 5 what is yours

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
@ElectricBlade

I read the notes you had on Lucas and I'd like to point out that Blade Beam does not cancel out Lucas's PKT1.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hello everybody Switchfest coming up tomorrow it is going to be the fourth A-Tier tournament this season hope you are all excited if you are interested check out the bracket here

Attendants

PGR Players

Other Players

Hope it is going to be a great tournament I'm also really excited for Get On My Level 2018 i hope we get the attendance list soon i will be posting about it as soon as i get it

I would rather see any Japanese player win (but Shuton and Komorikiri more), looking at the fact that the seeding might make for some team kills. Komorikiri and Abadango most likely have the best chances of winning to be honest.

As for KVOxTSB 2018, I am all for T winning the event, and he has a good shot at doing so. The funniest part of this is that T has never faced Komorikiri as far as I know, and Kome too out of all the players listed.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Seems Kiraflax is expected to lose to Sweden's #1 ranked player, M (Shulk main). It'll be interesting to see how far he can get with his Shulk (top 24 seems doable but hard, he might drown earlier though, and I highly doubt he'll beat MkLeo or komorikiri).

I'm hoping Cosmos will win, but realistically speaking it's more likely Nairo or MkLeo will (or Tweek). Doesn't look like we'll get all that many Bayos though! Probably not many Diddy Kongs either. Things sure change quickly, depending on which players attend which tournaments.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
my prediction for who will win is MkLeo his run at Genesis 5 (My favourite tournament so far this year) was incredible at I hope he can do it again but that could be because he is my favourite player

Iridium

Smash Hero
Seems Kiraflax is expected to lose to Sweden's #1 ranked player, M (Shulk main). It'll be interesting to see how far he can get with his Shulk (top 24 seems doable but hard, he might drown earlier though, and I highly doubt he'll beat MkLeo or komorikiri).

I'm hoping Cosmos will win, but realistically speaking it's more likely Nairo or MkLeo will (or Tweek). Doesn't look like we'll get all that many Bayos though! Probably not many Diddy Kongs either. Things sure change quickly, depending on which players attend which tournaments.
True, but Sriks and Tru4 are not projected to make top 32 at all. Only Nicko, Scarhi and M (and Shuton if he pulls him out), but in losers, which is not how I think this will go at all.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Regarding Shulks at SwitchFest, the highest seeded is Nicko, who is the only one projected to make top 24. M and Scarhi are also projected to place top 32, and Tremendo Dude and Tru4 are projected to place 33rd.
Potential top player secondary/pocket Shulks could include MKLeo, komorikiri, and Shuton (I'm pretty sure each of them has used Shulk in tournament, not sure if any others have).

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I do wish Nintendo would get with the program and start officially getting involved with Smash as an esport. They’d have to start cautiously though. I believe they know that Smash has been a grassroots scene, and coming in with their own official rule sets not unlike, say, Pokémon, would be somewhat useless.

Personally... I also have doubts that Smash 4 is going to truly die off. Even as of what, two years ago? you could still make money placing in Brawl, a game with far more basic competitive issues.

But whatever.

Onto Switchfest:

I haven’t looked at the bracket yet, but!

- I’m glad we are getting Komo, Raito, Shuton, and Aba back. Aba especially is still a world class threat.

- It would be nice to see Kameme get a solid placing, although I’m expecting more Sheik in bracket than Mega.

- Falln is #1 PR in SoCal now, and for good reason. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a top 8 appearance from him, even with competition present. He’s somewhat fortunate that only one of the Bayo Five is present (Tweek), so hopefully he’s been grinding the MU now that the gauntlet is shorter.

- I’d love to see the return of Void, but he’s had his attention split with DBZF lately, so we shall see.

- Cosmos would normally be a shoe in for top 8, but he (or Corrin) seems to struggle with rush down characters. Larry is always a tough player, and then you throw in Charlie’s technical Fox and Eon’s more patient yet fully capable style, and life could be tough.

- Nairo is on a roll right now. I’m going to rewatch his recent matches, but he seems to have leveled up a bit more.

- Leo is now basically a dual main. He has always switched characters by feel, and it seems like his Bayo has taken the place of his Meta Knight, and split the Cloud MU’s between her and Marth. It’ll be interesting to see how deep his Bayo combo game has grown.

- Tweek has three main threats at this tournament: Cosmos, Leo, and Nairo. He has a tough time with Cosmos due to the fact that they both train together all the time, and he has said himself that Cosmos’ SDI and knowledge of the MU is up there with his own.

Leo has been training with Mistake quite a bit as well, who Tweek has said has the best combo game of all the Bayos. So the ditto could be nuts, but Leo can always opt for Marth, and at this point, none of the top five Bayos have come up with a consistent solution for it.

Captain Zack came close, tho.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Attendants

PGR Players

Other Players

Its a pretty tough call to say who will win, Nairo and Tweek are very explosive players, while some like Shuton and Falln have a more defensive playstyle. The other entrees have a fair chance as well.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Nairo.

Smash is not grassroots. Grassroots is political action at a local level that grows up to influence higher levels of government. Smash is a community ran e-sport. Organizing clubs or whatever isn't grassroots.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
Personally... I also have doubts that Smash 4 is going to truly die off. Even as of what, two years ago? you could still make money placing in Brawl, a game with far more basic competitive issues.
people like to point to brawl when saying smash 4 will die, but there are a lot of unusual circumstances surrounding brawl that sucked away its viewerbase and attendance which don't apply to smash 4. it's something that might be worth analyzing in the months leading up to smash switch's release, but i think smash 4's ability to survive will depend entirely on whether enough people enjoy it as a game enough to forgo switching to smash switch or melee.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
people like to point to brawl when saying smash 4 will die, but there are a lot of unusual circumstances surrounding brawl that sucked away its viewerbase and attendance which don't apply to smash 4. it's something that might be worth analyzing in the months leading up to smash switch's release, but i think smash 4's ability to survive will depend entirely on whether enough people enjoy it as a game enough to forgo switching to smash switch or melee.
That could happen but there is no dought that smash 4 will drop off once smash switch is released

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
That could happen but there is no dought that smash 4 will drop off once smash switch is released
It really depends on how Smash Switch holds off. If it was worse balance / mechanics than SSB4, the SSB4 scene may still be alive going strong. Remember back when everyone thought Melee was going to die out because Brawl was released?

Rizen

Smash Legend
It all depends on how good and balanced switch smash is competitively.

edit :4greninja:ed.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i guarantee that people won't care about balance or quality as long as it's new

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Regarding Shulks at SwitchFest, the highest seeded is Nicko, who is the only one projected to make top 24. M and Scarhi are also projected to place top 32, and Tremendo Dude and Tru4 are projected to place 33rd.
It seems unlikely that M will get any higher than top 32; his 2 projected losses are to MKLeo and Xzax, who plays Fox, one of Shulk's worst MUs. Though I guess he's slightly better off than Scarhi, who gets to deal with Nairo and Eon. Tremendo Dude could make top 32 if he upsets Vermillion but seems unlikely to go further, Tru4 has to deal with K9sbruce and Candy, and Nicko has to deal with Aba and Kameme, but he could potentially upset either.

And I have to deal with the fact that "has to deal with" is apparently the only phrase I know.

It really depends on how Smash Switch holds off. If it was worse balance / mechanics than SSB4, the SSB4 scene may still be alive going strong. Remember back when everyone thought Melee was going to die out because Brawl was released?
Everyone always says this, and conveniently leaves out the part where it almost did. Smash 4 might survive if Smash 5 is terrible (which is super unlikely), but it's definitely going to lose players, especially because the Switch is a much more successful console than the Wii U.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
It seems unlikely that M will get any higher than top 32; his 2 projected losses are to MKLeo and Xzax, who plays Fox, one of Shulk's worst MUs. Though I guess he's slightly better off than Scarhi, who gets to deal with Nairo and Eon. Tremendo Dude could make top 32 if he upsets Vermillion but seems unlikely to go further, Tru4 has to deal with K9sbruce and Candy, and Nicko has to deal with Aba and Kameme, but he could potentially upset either.

And I have to deal with the fact that "has to deal with" is apparently the only phrase I know.
You forgot Sriks, as well as Paradigm & Erico. Then again, none of them are projected to make top 32.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
You forgot Sriks, as well as Paradigm & Erico.
Erico is projected to lose to K0rean, who's #1 in Hawaii, and Keitaro. Paradigm's projected to lose to falln and AEMehr. I don't know much about Paradigm, Erico, or any of the people they're playing, besides that falln's PGR'd and AEMehr is in this thread sometimes and uses Miis I think, so I can't really comment further on them.
Sriks, though, is kinda ****ed. He's (don't know anything about Sriks, assuming male, correct me if I'm wrong please) projected to lose to MKLeo, which is basically a given, and Kiraflax, who he might beat, but even if he does, he then has to fight Eon. Barring ridiculous luck, I can't see him getting further than 33rd.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Everyone always says this, and conveniently leaves out the part where it almost did. Smash 4 might survive if Smash 5 is terrible (which is super unlikely), but it's definitely going to lose players, especially because the Switch is a much more successful console than the Wii U.
Smash 4 might still be alive for years after Smash switch's release. There may be players who don't like Smash switch and will still play smash 4, like melee players. Also, Smash 4's balance is pretty spot on compared to previous Smash titles.

EMT~

Smash Cadet
KVOxTSB 2018 On May 4th-6th 2018
Ratio:4duckhunt:
Let's go Raito

Switchfest
LETS GO RAITO

I want to see a doggo in Top 8 at Switchfest. Not sure if it will actually happen or not since he's projected to fight Tweek's Bayo early in Top 32 and Komo's Cloud shortly thereafter. But we will see what happens.

When is You3 coming back ;_;

I do wish Nintendo would get with the program and start officially getting involved with Smash as an esport.
Agreed, but I'm not really expecting anything on that front. Nintendo and Sakurai have treated Smash with an almost anti-competitive air as far back as I can remember, since at least Melee. Maybe they'll come to their senses someday, though.

Top Bottom