• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Needles are big part of why DDD loses to Sheik though. Was true before the nerfs too.
In practice D3 takes so long to kill that Sheik has a lot of time to make a mistake and get bair'd or make the wrong decision during a ledge trap. etc. But Needles allow Sheik to get more reward from playing passively
D3 doesn't have an answer to Needles unless you hard read them and toss a Gordo, since Needles don't reflect Gordo. You can't jump, Sheik can just Needle your landing. You can walk forward and just shield, but Needles aren't reactable, you would have to read the toss. (And you can't powershield Needles eitherrrrr)
DDD is so slow that this kind of Sheik play singlehandedly biases the MU into Sheik's favor, more than it would be otherwise. Without Needles it would be a lot more doable.

When I was more active I fought high level Sheiks frequently, and that's what I got from those experiences. This was before the throw nerfs as well.

Needles are still very good against many characters
I can't say I agree all that much. There's no reason to not abuse D3's horrible data and slow frontal hitboxes(being wary of Dsmash, of course...) up close. Needles aren't very good vs him because of how long it takes for him to be sent into tumble and how much more of a reward you get for sticking in his face

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Roy's fair can only autocancel from a full hop or a full hop on to a platform. Roy's dumbest feature is lagless blazer imo do you know how many people think it's punishable on whiff then eat a FSMASH trying to punish said move? Really satisfying to land.
Flare blade comes out on frame 23 and is active until frame 26. You can powershield it on reaction and punish it with anything that comes out before frame 21/20/19 (usually 21 but you could powershield it out of a dash). If you were actually talking about Blazer, you dont have to wait for him to land to actually punish him
Now since you obviously missed what I said about fair, I'll repeat myself and try to be as clear as possible. Roy's fair comes out on frame 10, has a final active frame of 30, but only autocancels on frame 33>. If you buffer a short hop fair, you can jump out of it before you hit the ground. If you don't jump however, you still suffer all 13 frames of landing lag. The same thing goes for Toon Links fair, it has a FAF of 39 but an autocancel frame of 51>. Since TLs short hop is 41 frames you can jump out of fair before you hit the ground, but if you don't you suffer landing lag. Are there any more moves like this?

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Are there any more moves like this?
As far as I can tell, it's only those two plus Pacman's Fair (FAF 26, Autocancel 43, 42 frame SH, 16 frames of landing lag) and Ryu's Nair (FAF 28, Autocancel 34, 31 frame SH, 6 frames of landing lag).

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Roy's fair can only autocancel from a full hop or a full hop on to a platform. Roy's dumbest feature is lagless blazer imo do you know how many people think it's punishable on whiff then eat a FSMASH trying to punish said move? Really satisfying to land.
Is this legit? I need to try that out sometime.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
As far as I can tell, it's only those two plus Pacman's Fair (FAF 26, Autocancel 43, 42 frame SH, 16 frames of landing lag) and Ryu's Nair (FAF 28, Autocancel 34, 31 frame SH, 6 frames of landing lag).
Palutena's UAir as well, though only from a full hop.

I believe Ganon's FAir has similar properties but can only be interrupted with a special.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Ignoring ease of use, do any other characters share Cloud's MU spread among high tiers?

Doing well vs: Rosa, m2, sonic
Oppressing: Yoshi, Ness, Villager, Lucario, Wario, MK(?)
Captain Falcon does well versus all the characters you mentioned, Yoshi being the worst of them. Not saying he destroys those or does as well as Cloud does against them but he definitely doesn't really struggle with them either.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Ignoring ease of use, do any other characters share Cloud's MU spread among high tiers?

My guess he meant physically hurting you in the Robin MU I guess.
Marth does I guess, M2 too if you still consider him a high tier *cough*hestop5*cough*

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I believe Ganon's FAir has similar properties but can only be interrupted with a special.
It seems more like you can cancel the landing lag with a special for whatever reason, since Side B does the ground animation.
Fair has a FAF of 45 but Ganondorf's FH is 44 frames.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon does well versus all the characters you mentioned, Yoshi being the worst of them. Not saying he destroys those or does as well as Cloud does against them but he definitely doesn't really struggle with them either.
I think the key difference would be sonic. Cloud does better in that MU right? Cap may juggle sonic really well, but that disadvantage, combined with dealing with spindash with no projectile must be rough. Spindash must be used well of course, he can pivot grab bad attempts but its more like a reactive SH approach punish with it's invincible startup. I don't know the MU that well, above are my assumptions based on basic character stuffs. Its definitely not a fun time for captain in disadvantage though. Being combo food just means you'll probably be behind at some point vs sonic, then you have to get it back and if you get hit again... yea. Sonic stuff, but cap's weight and aerials arent helping much after spindash combos.

Some of TBH6 casters were mentioning some sort of new optimal punish off of a bair for the captain... anyone know whats going on there? I know it confirms to dashgrab or DA or more bairs, but it seems like the combo tree from those are well known and they were speaking about new technology. Not sure tho.

Elegant wins MSM over vicegrip in finals! I think its safe to call him the best luigi at this very moment, but his set vs Concon was quite close. But, mrCC was unable to beat Vice while Elegant had his number. Though bowjow isnt a super important MU, his weegee also just looks to be a step ahead these days. So good stuff there.

He was doing dthrow - reverse uair - bair at the ledge for nasty early kills from a grab. This, and fireballs, and cyclone, and his insanely fast smashes... maybe luigi can work back into the meta via being amazing at the ledge. Those combination of moves looks like they can handle anything and many effectively cover a few options. Being able to get the kill off a grab like that is definitely scary at the ledge. Im sure local Luigis are loving the new fox explosion and have always liked ol didders. Hows Cloud?

Also, maybe dthrow uair bair is just a bowjow combo and im getting too excited. WHO KNOWS?!

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Does Luigi's Dsmash hit foes who hang on the ledge?

In my experience he has pretty poor options for hitting people hanging on the ledge (Dtilt 50/50s at best and is DI-able), especially compared to the best ledge trappers (Sheik Dtilt BF, Bayo Dsmash etc) but I could be mistaken.

I'm not expecting us to see any kind of big resurgence (you said yourself the Jr. MU is hardly important) but Luigi is a lot better than most people give him credit for, despite not quite being top tier material.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Just an observation, why does everyone act surprised that Cloud does well against Rosalina? That was common knowledge wasn't it? Didn't Cloud beat her? He has all the tools to do so:
Dash Attack destroys Luma. ESAM tactic of waiting for the respawn certainly helps.
Cloud can force approaches with Limit camp. Rosa can't let Cloud have Limit because it 1) Increases Cloud's mobility to chase her better 2) Gives him a recovery move that isn't complete trash 3) Gives him a mid % killer and Rosa is made out of newspaper.
Rosa has predictable landing options. Guess who has the best juggling move in the entire game? And guess who is a huge target for getting juggled?
Cloud can abuse Rosa's recovery because her Up B has no hitbox. Easy Dair/Dash attack 2-frames. At the edge she can eat damage or get Luma killed.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm

In my experience he has pretty poor options for hitting people hanging on the ledge (Dtilt 50/50s at best and is DI-able), especially compared to the best ledge trappers (Sheik Dtilt BF, Bayo Dsmash etc) but I could be mistaken.

I'm not expecting us to see any kind of big resurgence (you said yourself the Jr. MU is hardly important) but Luigi is a lot better than most people give him credit for, despite not quite being top tier material.
It does hit below the ledge, I'm pretty sure it stage spikes too (my memory could be failing me though).

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario and luigi can't dsmash some chars on the ledge, most need to be spaced. Luigi definitely has an issue forcing people off the ledge within a certain timeframe. (Mario has DA and Super Jump Trump)

Luigi player

Smash Master

Luigis dsmash can hit people on the ledge but like DunnoBro said you have to space them really well. It's really annoying tbh. The front hit also stagespikes them which isn't too great since they can tech that. Downward angled fsmash can hit too but again, it needs good spacing. :/ Sometimes (grounded) downB can hit as well, but it depends on the character. "Semispiking" them a little bit but the hitstun shouldn't be long enough for them to have trouble coming back (and it'll only do a few %). Dtaunt exists, but is too slow unless they have to regrab and you have the time and get the timing right. Will almost never happen but it's there I guess.

Last edited:

Nairo

Banned via Administration
My thought process was kinda like this:

Dabuz's worst loss ever in an actual tournament was Zinoto.

Dabuz only failed to make top 8 once this entire year: At pound. In that tournament, Nairo came 49th, the lowest placing at a major tournament out of the top 10 ever (Tied with Ally's 49th at CEO). As I already mentioned, the only supermajor in 1.1.6 this year Nairo did notably well at was SSC (And now TBH6), but SSC was the tournament where all his personal demons, as well as every decent diddy player, were knocked to losers and eliminated before he could face them, giving him an extremely easy bracket. Once again, Nairo's major flaw is that he's a one-trick pony: He's going to grab you and try and take you off the top, something that players are adapting to more and more as time goes on, and because Nairo hasn't really showed any attempt to change his playstyle, he's becoming and will continue to become weaker as time goes on, as shown by people like Komorikiri going from a negative record against him to a positive one in a relatively short time.
1. Me and komo are like 5-1 my favor. I have NO idea where that example came from, that's not even close to positive(and I just beat him right before big house too).
2. Dabuz has lost to scatt Angel vex and a few more probably that people consider worse than zinoto. So you may not know all the results/only pay attention to certain events.
3. You're crazy if you think Mr.R, Void and Dabuz = an easy bracket. If that's an "extremely easy" bracket for me, then I must be pretty good for a "one trick pony" lol. It's not like I lose to every diddy either, the only diddy I've lost to in the past year besides zero was zinoto once so far.
4. Judging from what you said, you base things off of major events/placing ONLY, nothing less, which is flawed. They matter of course, but they aren't everything. You need to look at losses as well(ex: 17th at EVO losing to Ranai and Larry, 2 top 10 players that aren't bad losses but just sets that happened outside of top 8). There are many events that matter/have good attendance + top players in attendance. Take those events into account as well, those matter too, they don't need 2000 entrants for it to be counted. Also getting 13th/2000+ (EVO) and 17th/1000(CEO) aren't like AMAZING but definitely far from not being notable.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Elegant wins MSM over vicegrip in finals! I think its safe to call him the best luigi at this very moment, but his set vs Concon was quite close. But, mrCC was unable to beat Vice while Elegant had his number. Though bowjow isnt a super important MU, his weegee also just looks to be a step ahead these days. So good stuff there.

He was doing dthrow - reverse uair - bair at the ledge for nasty early kills from a grab. This, and fireballs, and cyclone, and his insanely fast smashes... maybe luigi can work back into the meta via being amazing at the ledge. Those combination of moves looks like they can handle anything and many effectively cover a few options. Being able to get the kill off a grab like that is definitely scary at the ledge. Im sure local Luigis are loving the new fox explosion and have always liked ol didders. Hows Cloud?

Also, maybe dthrow uair bair is just a bowjow combo and im getting too excited. WHO KNOWS?!
Awesome for Elegant and everything but...

I kinda wanted ViceGrip's Bowser Jr to take a Grand Finals victory :crying:

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Art of Ness is out; maybe it's time for some Ness discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DTY0Hxdiy8

As a Marth player, I want to highlight two examples in that video, namely 17:12 and 17:28. Two of the biggest reasons I feel Marth beats Ness in that MU, especially the 2nd point. Counter may as well be Gravitational Pull, and that goes for most characters with a Counter move.

Marth does decently well against Rosalina and Mewtwo, does pretty well against Cloud himself, as well as Mario.

In reality, Marth doesn't "lose" to any of the other top tiers, but has a particularly mean time against Sonic, and it's not fun (then again, this is Sonic we're on about, kappa). Sheik can be hard, but it's a lot more manageable in this patch than it ever was before. He handles the rest of the top tiers fine; the rest aren't particularly one sided at all.

Marth pretty much beats Ness, and in reality, beats Yoshi. I can see him beating, or doing well against Meta Knight, and perhaps Villager. Marth generally shuts down characters with poor range, namely Luigi, Puff, Kirby etc (though Marth must be aware of Luigi's throw combos of course). Characters with less range than him can also have a tough time (while this is most of the cast, I mean smaller characters, like Meta Knight, despite him having a disjointed weapon himself).

Lucario v Marth is fun because both characters can be so volatile at any point in the MU. Tippers + Aura = "fun". In reality, I can see Marth walling and keeping Lucario out pretty well. Lucario just becomes crazy scary when Marth fails to KO him and needs that Up Throw to KO, as a whiffed grab can sometimes spell death (though this is the case for most characters in that given situation

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Art of Ness is out; maybe it's time for some Ness discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DTY0Hxdiy8

As a Marth player, I want to highlight two examples in that video, namely 17:12 and 17:28. Two of the biggest reasons I feel Marth beats Ness in that MU, especially the 2nd point. Counter may as well be Gravitational Pull, and that goes for most characters with a Counter move.
The difference is, counter has counterplay, PKT stalling is viable and very likely to get you killed / as well.

On a stage with flat sides (I really wish DH wasn't the only one) Thunderbouncing also alleviates counter.

Ness discussion is likely to make everyone depressed, with his two biggest reps not currently in action all he's going to look like is under-powered with little results to show for himsefl right now. He had a good surge of popularity recently but people are pretty polarised on his strengths and weaknesses atm so it's hard to discuss him.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
maybe dthrow uair bair is just a bowjow combo and im getting too excited. WHO KNOWS?!
Nope, it's a kill confirm on most (if not all) characters and it's a good way to catch regular ledge get up, get up attacks and rolls with the right read. It's actually a pretty old confirm and the fact that nobody has seen it be used at high level play is actually disappointing, especially when I see fellow Luigi mains go on about how we have trouble killing :/. In the video Elegant put on Twitter, it showed that it could kill Sheik around 80ish% and I don't think that was with rage. It's a really good ledge punish if you can read it. Very easy to do on characters like superheavies once you force them to the ledge.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi's D-smash is wierd. Sometimes it sends people up, sometimes it stagespikes, sometimes it misses. Although, it depends on the character.

Luigi has poor options dealing with people hanging on the ledge tbh. Cyclone won't do you much good (Unless it stagespikes), D-tilt is nearly useless, D-smash is kooky, and down angled F-smash needs spacing (And can't be done out of a run). Speaking of running, Luigi doesn't have any option that hits directly below the ledge, so that sucks.

Now, if we are talking about covering ledge getups or ledge trumping, that's an entirely different story.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
I think the key difference would be sonic. Cloud does better in that MU right? Cap may juggle sonic really well, but that disadvantage, combined with dealing with spindash with no projectile must be rough. Spindash must be used well of course, he can pivot grab bad attempts but its more like a reactive SH approach punish with it's invincible startup. I don't know the MU that well, above are my assumptions based on basic character stuffs. Its definitely not a fun time for captain in disadvantage though. Being combo food just means you'll probably be behind at some point vs sonic, then you have to get it back and if you get hit again... yea. Sonic stuff, but cap's weight and aerials arent helping much after spindash combos.
You don't necessarily need a projectile to deal with Sonic. Having a disjoint is just as useful (Cloud just happens to have both as well as Limit camping). Spindash doesn't have a very big hit box, and Sonic's hurt box is larger. So once Sonic gets past the mini jump at the start up of Spindash's movement and the invincibility is gone, if Sonic stays on the ground Falcon can just hold jab. If Sonic jumps you can either shield expecting an attack or hit him first. Plus, Spindash combos don't tend to have very many hits to them, they just do a good amount of damage, so Falcon getting comboed isn't as much of a problem unless you're getting uair > spring jump uair-ed. Sonic's not a very great edge guarder either. He tends to be rather linear with his edge guards so they're not the hardest things to avoid, you should pretty much always be expecting spring or an attack from Sonic in some fashion.

Mobility to keep up with Sonic is always nice too.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
The difference is, counter has counterplay, PKT stalling is viable and very likely to get you killed / as well.

On a stage with flat sides (I really wish DH wasn't the only one) Thunderbouncing also alleviates counter.

Ness discussion is likely to make everyone depressed, with his two biggest reps not currently in action all he's going to look like is under-powered with little results to show for himsefl right now. He had a good surge of popularity recently but people are pretty polarised on his strengths and weaknesses atm so it's hard to discuss him.
Of course, all that what you say is 100% true. I was just making reference to the fact that, if you Counter PKT2, Ness will usually die; it's no where near as good as Gravitational Pull, I know.

Naturally, on the flipside, Marth can work around Ness's counterplay. Marth doesn't simply go off stage and Counter, for example. Often times, when Ness is forced into a situation where he needs to use PKT2 to recover, instead of going for the instant Counter, Marth should go off stage and hit Ness with an aerial, Fair, for example (Dancing Blade 1 is also a pretty neat option, as this doesn't launch Ness away as much, but Fair is overall easier and more consistent). This will almost always push Ness into an area where stalling won't work, and he's forced to go straight to the ledge. Due to the nature of Marth's Up B having a very easy sweetspot and fast recovery distance, once Marth lands the Fair, there is more than enough time for him to re-grab the ledge, then simply drop down and Counter when Ness heads toward the ledge. This method is far easier, as Marth can even just hang on the ledge and wait for Ness to "stall" as long as he wants; there's not much he can do to counter Marth when he's hanging on the ledge waiting, in a similar vein to how Cloud is essentially dead when he's forced to use Up B to the ledge.

It's partly this reason why I feel Marth outright beats Ness, but not Lucas, who's PK Fire and Zair play pivotal roles in the MU that make it harder for Marth to space him out, and the fact that he's harder to edgeguard (having that Rope Snake tether recovery is a huge boon, and an extra option that Counter cannot beat). Marth:Ness I feel is in Marth's favour, by a modest amount, but Marth:Lucas I feel is much closer to even, if only just a minimal advantage for Marth at best.

What happened to Ness's two biggest reps again? Did they just stop playing?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course, all that what you say is 100% true. I was just making reference to the fact that, if you Counter PKT2, Ness will usually die; it's no where near as good as Gravitational Pull, I know.

Naturally, on the flipside, Marth can work around Ness's counterplay. Marth doesn't simply go off stage and Counter, for example. Often times, when Ness is forced into a situation where he needs to use PKT2 to recover, instead of going for the instant Counter, Marth should go off stage and hit Ness with an aerial, Fair, for example (Dancing Blade 1 is also a pretty neat option, as this doesn't launch Ness away as much, but Fair is overall easier and more consistent). This will almost always push Ness into an area where stalling won't work, and he's forced to go straight to the ledge. Due to the nature of Marth's Up B having a very easy sweetspot and fast recovery distance, once Marth lands the Fair, there is more than enough time for him to re-grab the ledge, then simply drop down and Counter when Ness heads toward the ledge. This method is far easier, as Marth can even just hang on the ledge and wait for Ness to "stall" as long as he wants; there's not much he can do to counter Marth when he's hanging on the ledge waiting, in a similar vein to how Cloud is essentially dead when he's forced to use Up B to the ledge.

It's partly this reason why I feel Marth outright beats Ness, but not Lucas, who's PK Fire and Zair play pivotal roles in the MU that make it harder for Marth to space him out, and the fact that he's harder to edgeguard (having that Rope Snake tether recovery is a huge boon, and an extra option that Counter cannot beat). Marth:Ness I feel is in Marth's favour, by a modest amount, but Marth:Lucas I feel is much closer to even, if only just a minimal advantage for Marth at best.

What happened to Ness's two biggest reps again? Did they just stop playing?
FOW still attends locals in Vegas, and Shaky just now attends locals as well. I assume they're both taking breaks.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Marth pretty much beats Ness, and in reality, beats Yoshi. I can see him beating, or doing well against Meta Knight, and perhaps Villager. Marth generally shuts down characters with poor range, namely Luigi, Puff, Kirby etc (though Marth must be aware of Luigi's throw combos of course). Characters with less range than him can also have a tough time (while this is most of the cast, I mean smaller characters, like Meta Knight, despite him having a disjointed weapon himself).
On the Kirby point, I really don't think Kirby gets shut down by Marth. Marth's landings are too poor for that. I also want to note when the three big Marth mains made MU charts most recently (Mr. E, Pugwest, and... sadly, I forgot who else), they listed the MU as slight advantage. From my experience in the MU, I agree with that.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Less than a week ago most regulars in this thread thought Cloud went even with or lost to Rosa. Was one set really enough to change [hive]minds?

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
On the Kirby point, I really don't think Kirby gets shut down by Marth. Marth's landings are too poor for that. I also want to note when the three big Marth mains made MU charts most recently (Mr. E, Pugwest, and... sadly, I forgot who else), they listed the MU as slight advantage. From my experience in the MU, I agree with that.
Shut down in the fact that Marth's (disjointed) range gives Kirby a lot of trouble, walling him out basically. If Kirby gets in, yes, he can do some damage, but Marth can, and will keep Kirby at bay with his range, and there's not a whole lot he can do to get around that safely. Marth makes a poor choice and Kirby gets in? That's when things can get a little more annoying.

Marth landing against Kirby isn't as hard as it seems, especially when you consider Marth has a better air speed and fast fall speed than Kirby. B reverse Shield Breaker is a thing too, something that I see Mr E do a fair bit more these days actually...

In the same vein, Kirby doesn't have it 100% free landing against Marth either. Multiple jumps are nice, but Marth outpaces Kirby in all areas (ground, air etc) and can follow his movement pretty easily (in fact, just walking work fine). Kirby doesn't like having to use up all of his jumps and then have to deal with a huge arcing hitbox like Utilt or Uair.

Kirby's Dair is one to watch for, mind. Though the very end of Dolphin Slash can hit Kirby out of his Dair, Marth has to be careful of it.

But generally, Marth's neutral is only made better by the fact that Kirby has poor range and average mobility; it gives Marth almost everything he needs to control the flow of the match better than normal.

That said, Marth:Kirby is a MU you see quite rarely, so none of us have anything super notable to point towards.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Hey DunnoBro DunnoBro , do you know who is fairly good against a lot of those characters (barring Sonic and Villager/possibly Yoshi and Ness)?

Little Mac.

Little Mac is actually pretty good, (like, middle tier good) please talk about him more because holy geez. He can blow up stuff and go toe to toe with the best, too bad he gets gatekept by a handful of characters (Bayo, Sonic).

Shut down in the fact that Marth's (disjointed) range gives Kirby a lot of trouble walling him out. If Kirby gets in, yes, he can do some damage, but Marth can, and will keep Kirby at bay with his range, and there's not a whole lot he can do to get around that safely. Marth makes a poor choice and Kirby gets in? That's when things can get a little more annoying.

Marth landing against Kirby isn't as hard as it seems, especially when you consider Marth has a better air speed and fast fall speed than Kirby. B reverse Shield Breaker is a thing too, something that I see Mr E do a fair bit more these days actually...

Kirby's Dair is one to watch for, mind. Though the very end of Dolphin Slash can hit Kirby out of his Dair, Marth has to be careful of it.

But generally, Marth's neutral is only made better by the fact that Kirby has poor range and average mobility; it gives Marth almost everything he needs to control the flow of the match correctly.

That said, Marth:Kirby is a MU you see quite rarely, so none of us have anything super notable to point towards.
Kirby getting Shield Breaker is a nice buff in this matchup, though it's nothing to push it over the edge. Gives him better offensive pressure (which he already has a lot of) and a mobility/landing mixup.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Kirby getting Shield Breaker is a nice buff in this matchup, though it's nothing to push it over the edge. Gives him better offensive pressure (which he already has a lot of) and a mobility/landing mixup.
The landing mixup is one I didn't think of, so that is useful I suppose.

It also sucks that Kirby's Shield Breaker is still outranged by almost all of Marth's other moves, mind (I mean, look how cute Kirby is with that small Falchion!), so it's probably best saved for that.

But once again, I can harp back to my first point; how is Kirby going to get in safely on Marth to actually land that Inhale in the first place?

If he gets it, yes, it's quite a nice option for Kirby, but its nothing that comes close to making the MU favourable for Kirby.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Shut down in the fact that Marth's (disjointed) range gives Kirby a lot of trouble, walling him out basically. If Kirby gets in, yes, he can do some damage, but Marth can, and will keep Kirby at bay with his range, and there's not a whole lot he can do to get around that safely. Marth makes a poor choice and Kirby gets in? That's when things can get a little more annoying.

In the same vein, Kirby doesn't have it 100% free landing against Marth either. Multiple jumps are nice, but Marth outpaces Kirby in all areas (ground, air etc) and can follow his movement pretty easily (in fact, just walking work fine). Kirby doesn't like having to use up all of his jumps and then have to deal with a huge arcing hitbox like Utilt or Uair.

But generally, Marth's neutral is only made better by the fact that Kirby has poor range and average mobility; it gives Marth almost everything he needs to control the flow of the match better than normal.

That's fair. :)

Perhaps I don't consider Marth's range to be much of an issue because characters like Ike are notably harder to get in on. Marth has a great disjoint in his sword, yes, but it's not that difficult to get through that with proper shielding/powershielding.

While Marth does have better airspeed and fastfall speed, that generally assumes Kirby is looking to catch Marth by jumping after him in the air. Shieldbreaker is a good landing option, but a little... telegraphed?

And while Kirby doesn't have it free landing against Marth, he is one of the characters that can actually just go directly to the ledge if pressured. It's what heavies and other characters with poor mobility aim to do, but spamming jump to get the heck away from pressure is a totally viable option (and I implore anyone playing the Kirby/Rosa or Kirby/Cloud MUs to do this immediately - no need to fall back into another attack).

Kirby's dair is generally a poor landing option - IMO (though many good Kirbies still use it, for some reason). The feet aren't disjointed or anything. Ffnair is generally better because of it's faster startup, improved safety, and ability to combo into anything dair can (at lower percents) - but jumping away is usually better all in all.

Marth's neutral is generally better in the Kirby MU, for sure, but I don't believe that Marth's range alone shuts Kirby out (I do believe Kirby still loses, natch - but not by much). He's probably better at that against Luigi (because Luigi *needs* to powershield everything), tbh. But in exchange, he has a stronger combo game, so.

And you're definitely right about the rarity of the MU, but our two best representatives - Mr. E and MikeKirby - do live in the same region. So the MU happens at its highest level more often than you might think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDWRaSuaPo

EDIT: While we're talking about copying Marth - the following moves can be punished by shield drop inhale:
  • [-19/-31] All 9 Versions of Dancing Blade are Punishable
  • [-20] SHAC B-Air (tipper)
  • [-22] Dash Attack (non tipper)
  • [-22] SHAC B-Air (non tipper)
  • [-25] F-Smash (non tipper)
  • [-26] SHAC F-Air (tipper)
  • [-28] SHAC F-Air (non tipper)
  • [-29] U-Smash
  • [-32] D-Smash (tipper)
  • [-35] D-Smash (non tipper)
(Courtesy of Phan7om)

Also, many stray hits can confirm an inhale as well, including weak utilt and reverse uair. So for the most part, if he can hit you with a combo starter of some sort, he can probably inhale. Of course, Dolphin Slash makes this all weirder, so some Marth-specific testing is probably needed.

(And I personally love b-reverse inhale as a landing option. :D)

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
MK and Villy?
Hm, when I was building my own MU chart, I searched around and just found the Marcina vs. MK MU to be pretty even. With Villy, I asked some people and they seemed to say that we lost the MU... though outside of projectiles, Marcina eat Villy alive in range, so I had my doubts.

Dollabills

Smash Rookie
NNID
indycosgrove
I'm really hesitant to ask this since it tends to lead to a **** show but it is in the green topics and it has been on my mind. With Sheik and Bayo doing well in theory and in practice (though Das Koopa's post at the top of this page shows Sheik has been dropping a bit, if only due to lack of attendance) with at least a few posters calling one or the other the best character in the game, I ask, does anyone think or feel either character needs another nerf? Not really caring for specific details if yes but I'm wondering what the general opinion is. Or heck, maybe for a lot of people it's not a 'yes, I want a nerf' but a 'I don't WANT one persay but I'd appreciate or wouldn't mind if one came'

Even if either character ends up having no bad mus, that's not doom and gloom for anything as Melee has shown with Fox and Falco. And them completely invalidating characters like :4ganondorf: isn't too bad since characters like him would need massive rehauls or buffs to be viable anyways.

I'm personally on the fence. I don't know enough about Bayo to give an opinion and with Sheik...I just honestly hate needles...like, a lot. **** needles.

I'm afraid that Bayo has even more potential than we realize - especially after seeing Salem at Big House/Little Big House. I think Bayo could use some nerfs but I just don't know what should actually be nerfed. She's so much different than every other character and I feel like even mains are only skin deep into the character so far. I think the rest of the cast could be buffed/nerfed but really only with little touches to the end lag of certain moves. Like you said, needles are really annoying. Maybe she shouldn't be able to pop them out so fast one after another? I don't know, maybe not the perfect example but I haven't put too much thought into the idea.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If Bayonetta was in need of nerfs she would be winning majors.
Because every character in need of nerfs in the history of smash won majors, right?

Luigi didn't even get top 16 if any majors iirc. Postprepatch bowser either.

Needing nerfs =/= Unbeatable or Broken

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4shulk:v :4kirby: is pretty volatile once the latter character gets Monado Arts, but I'd say Shulk wins the matchup otherwise. Just chiming in with my own thoughts. They're a great team in doubles because of this as well, it's a shame it's so little-seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom