• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
One skill prevalent in competitive Pokemon that is fairly underdeveloped in Smash is how to mitigate bad luck and deal with things being plain unfair. In Pokemon, you could have the perfect moment and then Fire Blast misses and you get hit by a critical and suddenly the entire match turns around. Due largely to an assumption that luck takes away from skill (as evidenced by every item debate ever), Smash players start to crumble in these circumstances. Look how badly people still grumble about Rage.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
It's hard to talk about items because I rarely see any arguments about them go down any sort of reasonable road. Generally, the people defending their legality have ludicrous arguments while the people against it react in an even more ludicrous manner, and nobody learns anything at the end of the day.
Items are far more random than any sort of accuracy or status effect jank that happens in Pokemon (this is coming from someone who wiped my way to the OU 1500s in Pokemon Showdown with a Snorlax simply because Body Slam Paralyze jank), so I don't know how much they can really be compared.

Megamang

Smash Lord
If youre close and two bad luck events occur, you'll just lose. You can only mitigate math so much.

Sm4sh doesnt have pure randomness like crits very often. Peach and GaW come to mind, and consistent dthrow stuff is almost always better with gaw anyways.

50/50s can be random, but the skill is pushing them in your favor. There is no similar thing for computer generated double damage.

Rage over rage is so last year anyways, ive long gotten used to it and i like it now. Combos would be quite boring without it by now. Poor void though...

Yikarur

Smash Master
People always try to see "Smash" as pure skill. Thats why they complain about Lylat (even though it's entirely their fault) or rage kills, or Dogs on Duck Hunt, or or or or or
It's a really annoying thing which is pretty popular in this community.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
If youre close and two bad luck events occur, you'll just lose. You can only mitigate math so much.

Sm4sh doesnt have pure randomness like crits very often. Peach and GaW come to mind, and consistent dthrow stuff is almost always better with gaw anyways.

50/50s can be random, but the skill is pushing them in your favor. There is no similar thing for computer generated double damage.

Rage over rage is so last year anyways, ive long gotten used to it and i like it now. Combos would be quite boring without it by now. Poor void though...
What I'm referring to in terms of "unfair" situations are moments in other games where the opponent is given a clear advantage and there's nothing you can do to prevent it, like in poker or mahjong. Because I have much more experience with mahjong, I'll give a simple example. Sometimes, you'll get a crappy hand that is all but destined to go nowhere, while the opponent gets some monster hand that will push them into the lead if played correctly. Because there's no way to stop that initial advantage, because it's a product of minor randomness and probability, your goals are damage control and perhaps taking risks to win. It's like if Smash decided that for, the next stock, you will spawn on the top platform of Battlefield as Dedede and your opponent is underneath you as Mega Man. HAVE FUN.

Yes, that is totally not an even playing field, and I guess tier imbalances are the closest that the current state of Smash 4 gets to this, but in these other games players develop the skills necessary to deal with bad luck. Granted, even Pokemon players are somewhat guilty of not handling luck as well as they could; I used to run a Dynamic Punch/Zap Cannon Registeel for kicks (both attacks have a measly 50% accuracy), and you wouldn't believe how much it would infuriate people because "you relied on luck." But I digress.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Hmm. Id say disadvantage is a decent comparison. Unless you are leagues better than your opponent, you'll face it occasionally. Here you can choose a risky reversal, safer options, etc etc.

But i see what you mean. I just wanted to point out sometimes a crit outright loses you the game and cant be mitigated :3

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
People always try to see "Smash" as pure skill. Thats why they complain about Lylat (even though it's entirely their fault) or rage kills, or Dogs on Duck Hunt, or or or or or
It's a really annoying thing which is pretty popular in this community.
When people think Smash Bros. is pure skill it really irks. If Smash Bros. was pure skill then Tweek would've never given up on Bowser Jr. for Cloud and ZeRo would probably main Shulk and actually pull him out in nationals. Unless every matchup is even then Smash Bros. will always be character first and skill afterwards. Character > skill/effort.

The quoted post below is my favorite from this thread and I believe it applies here.

Ok but like....its really not hard for Sheik to "outplay" people in footsies. She has several tools that she can sort of just....do.

Notice how I put "outplay" in quotations?

Lemme give an example.

Man these Falcos in Melee sure are tough. They are super good with using short hop lasers to "outplay" me in footsie interactions and gain space control at virtually no risk to themselves. SHL leads to combos on hit and is totally safe on block. And when done perfectly it can lead to frame traps as it's actually POSITIVE on block. Man those Falcos sure are skilled.

And I think I am done here for a bit people.

Carry on.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I'm not lying when I say I mute commentary whenever I'm watching greninja footage. What commentators say can be so bad that it physically hurts me to listen to anymore.

These gems are my favorite:
  • losing their ever lovin' minds when greninja gets a foot stool
  • "poor man's sheik"
  • "better nerf greninja" jokes in 2016
  • acting genuinely surprised greninja's be buffed since 3DS days (I AM LOOKING AT YOU EE)
  • overrating the hell out of SSHC
  • pushing the "hidden top tier" mantra when you nothing about Greninja
  • calling Greninja a lightweight
  • mixing up counter and shadow sneak
:150:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Smash competitively is largely pure skill. Choosing a worse character for a match puts you at a disadvantage by choice. The only luck in SSB4 is from moves with randomness like Luigi's forwardB, Villager's turnips, Peach's downB, and G&W's sideB, (did I miss any?). Rage is another mechanic and has nothing to do with luck.

edit
There's also Duck Hunt's 5 Gunmen (Down-B) and Villager's Tree giving a fruit, tree chip, or nothing. I think that's it.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
What commentators say can be so bad that it physically hurts me to listen to anymore.
Nah man. No commentary is that bad.

Anyways, I don't think Greninja was even nerfed that bad at all. It probably was buffed more overall than it was nerfed. Just look at all those buffs.
Capture.PNG
But what do I know about Greninja?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Unless every matchup is even then Smash Bros. will always be character first and skill afterwards. Character > skill/effort
Skill is far and beyond the most important element. If characters were the only thing that mattered, then bad matchups would never be winnable at the top level. The implication here is that counterpicking is an automatic win. Dath, Ranai, T, Taiheita, etc. seem to more or less objectively disprove the notion that "Character > Skill".

Now, that isn't to say skill is the only element.

When you think of characters each as toolboxes, mid and lower tiers simply have less tools, meaning the extent to which you can creatively use them is limited compared to higher tiers. At some point down the ladder, the toolbox becomes too inefficient to function properly at the top level.

If character choice mattered the most, let's be clear:

Dath > Larry Lurr
Ranai > Dabuz
Falln > Tyrant
Kamemushi > Mr. R

Etc, etc.

These shouldn't be happening ever if character choice mattered more than skill. Character choice is you choosing a unique toolbox. It's up to your skill to utilize that toolbox. Some toolboxes are better than others, and some toolboxes have specific interactions with others, but those interactions are based on what you, the player, do.

Further proving this point: Melee is not all-Fox. If character choice was the only thing that mattered, the best player in the world should not be Hungrybox, because he's playing a character that is objectively inferior to Fox.

This isn't to say that character choice is irrelevant. Choosing a better toolbox gives you more options. Our determination of which toolbox is better is how tiers come to exist in any game, and "Better" is a vague term that involves interaction, matchups, etc.

Skill > Matchups > Tiers, aka, character choice. 2 and 3 are inherently related, but an unskilled player can't pick up a good character and automatically win. Concepts like matchup experience are a result of skill in a certain area, meaning even often-accepted bad matchups are dependent on your skill as a player to correctly use the tools that make the matchup bad for your opponent. If you can't ladder as Meta Knight, the Rosalina matchup becomes different. This is entirely skill dependent.

To be clear, most interactions we discuss are done by players according to their skill. You need to be good with a good character in order to be good. You can't be bad with a good character and be good. In a meta where character choice trumps skill, this shouldn't be the case, but it is.

This is how it is in any fighting game, mind you. Your logic would apply equally to Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat titles, and it just flatly doesn't make sense. SonicFox wouldn't be able to use one of the worst characters in MKX in Winners Semis at EVO if character choice was the primary determiner. It just doesn't work that way:

Skill isn't the only important element but it's certainly the most important and prevalent one.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
Smash competitively is largely pure skill. Choosing a worse character for a match puts you at a disadvantage by choice. The only luck in SSB4 is from moves with randomness like Luigi's forwardB, Villager's turnips, Peach's downB and Fsmash (or is it ordered now?), and G&W's sideB, (did I miss any?). Rage is another mechanic and has nothing to do with luck.
Peach's F-Smash is in an order, so no RNG there. I think it's Golf -> Tennis -> Frying Pan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
There's also Duck Hunt's 5 Gunmen (Down-B) and Villager's Tree giving a fruit, tree chip, or nothing. I think that's it.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Peach'd F-Smash is in an order, so no RNG there. I think it's Golf -> Tennis -> Frying Pan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It's Tennis Racket -> Golf Club -> Frying Pan. She always starts with the tennis racket. If you prefer a specific one, you can swing at thin air to cycle to the one you want as long as the opponent isn't close enough to punish you for it. (e.g. after a hit or combo when they're too far away to follow up.)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
But i see what you mean. I just wanted to point out sometimes a crit outright loses you the game and cant be mitigated :3
Seeing it from that perspective, the most luck/RNG based in Smash is tripping. Anything that has RNG is bound to be luck dependant alongside the skill.

Anyways, I don't think Greninja was even nerfed that bad at all. It probably was buffed more overall than it was nerfed. Just look at all those buffs.
View attachment 118271
Blame Youtube and Facebook. Believe me there are horrible commentaries, just watch any match with Jigglypuff or Lucina in it. ("She dies at 12%" "Lucina has less...."). Sorry, I got shot.

Dath > Larry Lurr
Ranai > Dabuz
FOW > VoiD
Kamemushi > Mr. R
Mmm, when did FOW beat VoiD? (I get your point, just a question).

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Seeing it from that perspective, the most luck/RNG based in Smash is tripping. Anything that has RNG is bound to be luck dependant alongside the skill.

Blame Youtube and Facebook. Believe me there are horrible commentaries, just watch any match with Jigglypuff or Lucina in it. ("She dies at 12%" "Lucina has less...."). Sorry, I got shot.

Mmm, when did FOW beat VoiD? (I get your point, just a question).
This is a mistake on my part. I thought FOW beat VoiD at 2GGT Fresh Saga, but it was 3-2 in VoiD's favor.

If I could find the set where Falln ruined Tyrant, I'd post that as a replacement example, but I can't so :/

Edit: Here:

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
*snipsnip*
Tripping can be avoided simply by not running. Walking in Brawl was the vastly superior option, though very unappreciated. Jumps worked too.

With the Pokémon analogy, we can say you can avoid missing a Fire Blast by using Flamethrower instead.
It may not be always too effective (walking or jumping may be slower), but it comes with no risk.
:196:

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
*snipsnip*
Tripping can be avoided simply by not running. Walking in Brawl was the vastly superior option, though very unappreciated. Jumps worked too.

With the Pokémon analogy, we can say you can avoid missing a Fire Blast by using Flamethrower instead.
It may not be always too effective (walking or jumping may be slower), but it comes with no risk.
:196:
Rng is still involved with tripping in Sm4sh since certain moves like Kirby dtilt have a chance of tripping and to my knowledge, there's no way to influence it as either the tripper or the trippee. Also, not directed at you specifically but in regards to rng, Peachs rng is her turnips, G&W technically has rng in his neutral b since there's no way to determine the exact trajectory the food goes in, Pac-man galaxians flight path is slightly rng too iirc.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

View attachment 118271
Oh yes it does.

Those initial nerfs where very severe. Greninja was sickeningly mediocre until the shuriken buff.

That crouch nerf still gets me every time. ◥ಢ┴ಢ◤

Greninja is a much healthier character as of now, but he's still somewhat a shadow of himself. Pre patch hydro pump and up smash was absurdly broken, and Forward Air was noticeably better.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
When people think Smash Bros. is pure skill it really irks. If Smash Bros. was pure skill then Tweek would've never given up on Bowser Jr. for Cloud and ZeRo would probably main Shulk and actually pull him out in nationals. Unless every matchup is even then Smash Bros. will always be character first and skill afterwards. Character > skill/effort.
Character selection is a skill lmao

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
oh, and I did a thing

my current player ranking (1.1.6 > Onwards)

Last ranking I did...

1: ZeRo
2: Ally
3: Dabuz
4: Kamemushi
5: Nairo
6: Abadango
7: Mr. R
8: VoiD
9: Ranai
10: Larry Lurr
11: KEN
12: MKLeo
13: Mew2King
14: ANTi
15: Zinoto
16: Marss
17: Komorikiri
18: Salem
19: Mr. E
20: Taiheita

Current:

#1: ZeRo
#2: Ally
#3: Dabuz
#4: Nairo
#5: Kamemushi
#6: Abadango
#7: Larry Lurr
#8: Mr. R
#9: VoiD
#10: Ranai
#11: Komorikiri
#12: KEN
#13: MKLeo
#14: Mew2King
#15: ANTi
#16: Zinoto
#17: Salem
#18: Marss
#19: Mr. E
#20: Rich Brown

I had a pretty long debate on GameFAQs over the best Japanese player where I eventually concluded that Kamemushi's summer record had higher peaks. Both players have similar faults when examined (e.g. both are roadblocked by Ally, both have a similar number of highly unusual losses) but Kameme's handle on the Diddy matchup and decisive 3-0 on ZeRo alongside his peaks at U25 and EVO convinced me that he's simply the better player.

After Aba Saga and MSM, it really would take Kamemushi totally bombing at TBH6 to change my opinion of this. Abadango put up two very lackluster performances in a row right after Kamemushi ran through really good people at Umebura 25. I would've liked to see a VoiD runback between the two, though.

Larry moved up +3 from the last version of this I had. He had a loser's run at Abadango Saga worthy of ZeRo's better ones and had a total turnaround from bombs like Shine where he just did bad. Outside of too much side Bing, he had a pretty fantastic performance. Combined with VoiD not doing so hot and struggling against both K9 and Rich, I think Larry > VoiD for the time being.

I moved Nairo into the top 4. He's slowly making his way back up, with a good end to a slightly rough summer and good post-Summer. I still think Dabuz is better and has better consistency potential, but he might be less likely to win a tournament. On the other hand, he kinda can't catch a break sometimes, narrowly losing a bunch of key sets that might've led him to a win.
The biggest change came with Komorikiri. I had him at a very skeptical 17th (
), but he had two outstanding runs at Abadango Saga and MSM. With the weekend, he took:

3-2 Ito
3-2 Ally
3-1 K9
3-1 Rich
3-0 VoiD
3-0 Nairo (Exhibition)

I now think his 11 position on the PGR is perfectly representative of his position in the metagame and got me to place him ahead of KEN.

Marss just kinda dropped as a result of both Salem and Komorikiri up. Salem's had a fantastic month and will keep going up. Zinoto deserves a lot of credit for taking a set off of Ally at No Fox Given, showing he's still a pertinent meta threat despite lackluster outings at SSC and EVO. His overall record is really strong, and he might deserve to be higher than ANTi, who's... not done so well since CEO.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Care to explain?
Up smash had better hitboxes and did more damage. It could kill Mario at 90 without rage.

Hydro pump had much higher push back than it does now. (More similar to the current High capacity hydro pump custom) It could ruin a lot more recoveries than it does now.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Up smash had better hitboxes and did more damage. It could kill Mario at 90 without rage.

Hydro pump had much higher push back than it does now. (More similar to the current High capacity hydro pump custom) It could ruin a lot more recoveries than it does now.

Greninja's the only character with a freely aimable windbox move. Hydro Pump was legitimately nuts at release.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Its still a big area for improvement of greninja imo. Ive been messing with a small water shot to punish jumping away from combos.

Its also the only (iirc) damaging windbox, not counting the edge of flame moves.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I want to bring up the topic of ledge play, or ledge pressure briefly.

A page or two back, there was the odd topic of Cloud's ledge play, and it still being untapped. That said, I still feel most characters's ledge games are still untapped, and players are just going for the obvious (edgeguards, ledge trumps etc).

I'll take Marth, as an example, as I know him thoroughly well. Marth's ledge play is actually quite good, and I'd go as far as to say he has one of the better ledge pressuring games in the game; he has an option to cover almost every ledge getup option there is, as well as a couple of tools to pressure people hanging on the ledge.

Firstly, Marth's Dtilt and Fsmash can hit below the ledge. While Fsmash is used less often, it's still there and can be a suprising/rewarding/annoying (if you are the one on the receiving end) option for 2 frames, or even punishing character hanging there for too long. Dtilt can 2 frame opponents a bit easier than Fsmash due to it being easier to time. Marth can stand on the ledge and force the opponent to get up at risk getting hit by these two moves. That alone is better than most characters.

Then you have his ledge getup covering options. This first option is one of the most overlooked, and one of my favourite ledge options he has, and it's simple; it's Ftilt. Essentially, Marth can stand out of ledge getup and getup attack distance for almost all characters, and as the character gets up, he can tipper Ftilt them on reaction. Ftilt's 1.1.4 increased range makes this possible. If Marth is stood at this range, and the opponent rolls, Usmash can catch this option on reaction, as well as other options like Utilt, other tilts, and mainly Dancing Blade, as it's more than quick enough.

Should the opponent jump from the ledge, Marth has all the tools a character would need to pressure a character coming down to earth; his Utilt outranges almost everything, bar Cloud's Dair (in fact I'm not entirely sure Cloud's Dair outranges Marth's Utilt, but Marth's Utilt arcing makes it harder to time. Marth's Usmash does indeed outrange Cloud's Dair, however). His Uair is a great juggling tool also, so combined, jumping from the ledge is not a smart idea either. If Marth wants to take a gamble, he can dash forward and Usmash right as he thinks the opponent will jump from the ledge, and it can tipper, quite easily.

Then there are misc things. A thing I love to do is stand a roll's distance from the ledge, and prepare for a roll getup (A good way to force a roll getup is to run right to the ledge and roll back instantly. Not only will this put Marth in the perfect distance for this little option, dashing towards the ledge often times makes opponents get up quicker and more hastily than normal, and more often times, they roll to get behind you, thinking they will gain a bit of stage control). If the opponent rolls, Marth can Dtilt them, which will sourspot, which at varying percents can lead into different options. At around 30%-40%, it can lead into a stutter step Fsmash, which tippers, and KO's. Should it be any lower, you can get a free grab, tipper Fair, or Dancing Blade. Until around 60%, you can get a Dancing Blade off of this, and because of how close you are to the ledge, if the last side hit tippers, it can KO based on rage/blastzones (the edge of the stage can make tippering this move easier, as it can stop Marth taking steps forward.

You see Mr E trying to utilise Marth's ledge play a lot in his Grand Finals set against Pink Fresh at Glitch 2.

The thing with Marth, is he has an equally as good/threatening off stage game, so it's often a gamble of "shall I go for an edgeguard, or pressure from the ledge?". Against characters like Cloud, or Captain Falcon, going off stage is usually the best choice. But against characters like Bayonetta, with good recoveries, it's often better to stand on the ledge and pressure. Mr E was playing off stage a fair bit at Glitch 2, but in the GF set, he opted to stand on stage more at the ledge, which was the wiser option.

So, in short, are character's ledge games fully optimised yet? There's talk of Cloud's ledge play being fantastic. What other characters have strong ledge options like these?

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I had a pretty long debate on GameFAQs over the best Japanese player where I eventually concluded that Kamemushi's summer record had higher peaks.
To what extent does you player ranking take japanese results in account? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that a lot of people that follow the domestic japanese scene will disagree with the order of Kamemushi > Abadango > Ranai > Komo > KEN.

:059:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So, in short, are character's ledge games fully optimised yet? There's talk of Cloud's ledge play being fantastic. What other characters have strong ledge options like these?
For many with obvious and consistent on-reaction reactions like diddy or sheik, yea they're about optimized I'd say. Others that require reads or trumps to cover for maximum reward like mario or cloud probably not.

I think the characters that will benefit the most from exploring their ledge coverage are mario, and greninja due to the ability to force people to the ledge reliably. And also non-limit cloud just because there's absolutely nowhere safe aside from the ledge when caught in his vortex omg.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
I'm not lying when I say I mute commentary whenever I'm watching greninja footage. What commentators say can be so bad that it physically hurts me to listen to anymore.

These gems are my favorite:
  • losing their ever lovin' minds when greninja gets a foot stool
  • "poor man's sheik"
  • "better nerf greninja" jokes in 2016
  • acting genuinely surprised greninja's be buffed since 3DS days (I AM LOOKING AT YOU EE)
  • overrating the hell out of SSHC
  • pushing the "hidden top tier" mantra when you nothing about Greninja
  • calling Greninja a lightweight
  • mixing up counter and shadow sneak
If you think that's bad you haven't seen people who commentate shulk.

"Jump makes you lighter!"
"Shield monado makes your counter stronger!"

D

Deleted member

I don't get the entire "if a top player thinks this mid/low tier is underrated, they should consistently play them at majors and prove it!" logic. People forget that to many players competitive Smash is a business. It's very fun business, but what matters to top players is if they can be rewarded well in money from their play. In some cases money from tournaments is what helps sustain them financially, such as ZeRo and Leo.

ZeRo wouldn't give up a character as amazing as Diddy Kong for a low-mid at best character like Shulk because while he really loves the character and wants to main him, he acknowledges his flaws wouldn't bring him the success that he wants. It's fine for him to think Shulk is underrated. I disagree with how high the ranked him in his tier list video for example and there was some muddled misinformation, but the sentiment behind it was well-intentioned. Mr. R also thinks Roy is slept on, you think he'd give up some of his time dedicated to Sheik to work on a Roy secondary? Think about it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Actually crits in Pokemon these days only result in 1.5x damage instead of double.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
To what extent does you player ranking take japanese results in account? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that a lot of people that follow the domestic japanese scene will disagree with the order of Kamemushi > Abadango > Ranai > Komo > KEN.

:059:
It's a global rank. If I ranked Japan for Japan, the order would probably be Kamemushi > Komorikiri > KEN > Abadango, with Ranai being too inactive in Japan.

D

Deleted member

DKWill updated his:4dk: matchup spread for 1.1.6.

This is actually pretty realistic, I like this. Beating Mewtwo is... ehh??

Last edited by a moderator:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.

DKWill updated his:4dk: matchup spread for 1.1.6.

This is actually pretty realistic, I like this. Beating Mewtwo is... ehh??
Those Marcina and Sheik placements though... Greninja seems questionable to me as well. Greninja seems to be more focused around throwing shurikens until he can get an opening and attack up close. I'm failing to see how Greninja doesn't wall DK out fairly reliably. I can see Greninja struggling a bit to land a kill on DK though without the risk of getting grabbed but throwing shurikens a lot would condition DK to shield, creating openings for grab which could be used to at least force advantage enough that risking an otherwise unsafe move isn't as bad.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It would be useful if someone could make an archive thread of all the high/top level players' current MU charts for comparison.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

View attachment 118271
Greninja was destroyed at release. Like, the character was legitimately ruined. Still the most nerfed character in the game's history IMO in terms of tier drop, rivalled only by Luigi.

Thing is, whilst he was nuts at release he was also pretty linear and kind of cancerous. His frame data has been tidied up a lot now and he's more fleshed out as a character. The changes were for the best even though he's probably worse off.

Those Marcina and Sheik placements though... Greninja seems questionable to me as well. Greninja seems to be more focused around throwing shurikens until he can get an opening and attack up close. I'm failing to see how Greninja doesn't wall DK out fairly reliably. I can see Greninja struggling a bit to land a kill on DK though without the risk of getting grabbed but throwing shurikens a lot would condition DK to shield, creating openings for grab which could be used to at least force advantage enough that risking an otherwise unsafe move isn't as bad.
I also think Greninja beats DK +1 if not worse. Walling him out is fairly doable and Greninja doesn't die to ding dong as early as Sheik either. Killing him can be tough but you can often hit a sweetspot Usmash from a juggle because of his size horrible landing options.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't get the entire "if a top player thinks this mid/low tier is underrated, they should consistently play them at majors and prove it!" logic. People forget that to many players competitive Smash is a business. It's very fun business, but what matters to top players is if they can be rewarded well in money from their play. In some cases money from tournaments is what helps sustain them financially, such as ZeRo and Leo.

ZeRo wouldn't give up a character as amazing as Diddy Kong for a low-mid at best character like Shulk because while he really loves the character and wants to main him, he acknowledges his flaws wouldn't bring him the success that he wants. It's fine for him to think Shulk is underrated. I disagree with how high the ranked him in his tier list video for example and there was some muddled misinformation, but the sentiment behind it was well-intentioned. Mr. R also thinks Roy is slept on, you think he'd give up some of his time dedicated to Sheik to work on a Roy secondary? Think about it.
I would believe that logic if a player like Justin Wong hadn't picked up a low tier in iron fist and wrecked the scene in umvc 3, or punisher playing rocket racoon and hawkeye, or in street fighter 4 a Korean player ran through a the scene with gen, or Chris g picking up guile in street fighter 5. player skill is always first and foremost the difference is if a character ha store tools to utilize or if a players skill truly optimizes a characters strengths then you see a perfect match. in ally case he excellent at grabs and move placement, Salem in patientience and explosive damage. zero just wants to play safe and rin away most of the time. shulk can do that he just doesn't want to play a low tier. loving the character you play helps a lot. you will want to do better. watching zero in particular I'm not sure he loves diddy like void or Mr r love shiek, it's very clear Salem and pink fresh love Thier girl, and it's clear m2k and trela love Thier characters. passion beings motivation to improve a d to try new things and push a character to the limit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom