• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Kind of curious... To all these pro players, how do you think the Jigglypuff meta will evolve? Will things change for the better? For the worse? Stay where it is?
First and foremost, I'm tired of this stigma that pro players' opinions are any more valuable than anyone else's; which your sentence implies. As long as you can prove that you are educated about the game(which can be easily warranted in your post) your opinions should be subjugated to the discretion of everyone else at the same value. The fact that I can become a top player and have my opinions be easily more accepted and/or hated is honestly unfair to everybody else. The growth of your fan base will inevitably make your opinion more popular and among other things, but giving it a higher baseline of initial strength is wrong. Secondly, you need to know your audience. Most people here aren't professionals so the chance of one actually answering you is pretty low, and even if they were in abundance a comparison will be negligible because they would have different opinions on certain things that getting a general answer is no more different than a group of any other knowledgeable players.

Jigglypuff

On paper, Jigglypuff is a character that inherently suffers by the mechanics and state of the metagame. In a 2-stock meta, where your punish game means everything and the rage mechanic can skew the outcome of games, Jigglypuff is by far the smallest benefactor. Her extremely low weight means that she almost always can never benefit from rage-while any other character in the game that she is facing can. This concept alone is a -2(hurt by something and your opponent is helped by something). Also if her shield is broken she always takes the maximum punish- a stock which is already a -3. Just looking at nothing but the mechanics of the game.

Punish Game
Rest was designed to address the latter issues, giving her an extremely early kill tool-however, it's proven to be ineffective. She has virtually no safe or viable set-ups into it, extremely risky on whiff, and because of rage and lightweight the kill power simply doesn't make up for it. Also take into account that in a 2-stock meta, risking a rest while being a stock down is something that nobody would really do unless they can guarantee it. So the main move that was designed to balance out her design is weak due to its lack of frequency and reward not outweighing the risk. Since this move is the crux of her punish game, it's no question that outside of it it's horrible. Her grab game is very poor, she has no throw combos, and due to her floatiness something like a tomahawk will almost never work. Combine this with the fact that her damage per hit is among the worst in the game, and you leave a punish game that has much to be desired. Remember how I said that she inherently struggles from the mechanics of the game? Well it comes back again to haunt her again in her punish game. In previous iterations, Jigglypuff was seen as a feared edge-guarder-being able to effectively drag opponents off stage AND keep them there. In this game, edgeguarding is weaker due to the overall buff of recoveries and the lack of ledge hogging means her ability to actually get a stock from it is low.

Neutral Game
Puff's neutral game is centered around using her great air mobility to space around your opponents shield via the use of aerials. The idea is that the opponent would get hasty by try jumping OoS or dropping it, allowing you to carry them through the air. If they decide to stay in the shield or roll around you can punish this with something like pound or n-air. The problem here is that she doesn't really impose a threat here. Even if you she manages to get you with a pound or land 2 aerials on you the difference is very easy to make up. Also consider the fact that she is forced to approach and that being in the air is an inherent disadvantage if you are not in advantage. The range of her aerials are also pretty lackluster and her lack of fast fall speed and ground speed means that she can't really terrorize the opponent with them like Diddy or Sheik in any fashion. Her ground game is honestly not even worth talking about. All of her tilts are negative on shield and taking the time to space is pretty worthless since there aren't really any follow-ups. The best she has is jab grab which is more of mix-up and isn't a big deal since her throw doesn't impose any real threat.

Room for Optimization
There are a few things that puff can use to better her in battle. 2 notable ones are rest option selects which I will link below. One involves being in the air allowing you to use your air mobility in neutral to confirm either a rest on footstool or d-air on whiff. This isn't too bad but it's important to keep in mind that anybody knowledgeable in the MU won't fall for this and is most effective if the opponent is around FH in the air. So this can easily be countered. The second one involves a shield option select using rest which is honestly great. It gives puff a safe option to use rest and keeps her grounded all the while maintaining her position. Outside of these two option selects, there are of course a few rest setups and mix-ups such as weak hit f-air, sh d-air, crouch rest, air dodge rest, etc. Lastly, their is bidou and sadly Puff can't really take advantage for two main reasons. First of all, her gameplay is designed by being in the air and using her aerials while fading in and out- of course Biodu inherently weakens this. Secondly, her grounded mobility and boxing options are extremely weak and Bidou can't really amplify something that's nearly non-existent.

Future for Jigglypuff
As of now, Jigglypuff has very little usage and currently that will most likely never change. Her neutral game is poor, and her punish game has too many holes, and the mechanics and meta of the game only work against her. I didn't go in-depth into all of her moves and intricacies but their are a good amount of threads analyzing this already so those would be nice to look at.

Links
Rage+Lightweight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BaTJ-8ehd0
ROSOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16N8NckbVA
True Combos and Air OS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirBCewQIgw

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I mean, its not like he doesn't have one of the games worst recoveries
If you call being able to go under FD one of the worst, sure. I'm aware that you're referring to his vulnerability to being hit weakly out of his up-B, but that generally stops being an issue against most characters at mid percents. He also has several good mixups while recovering and is not helpless after using his Up-B. It's hardly one of the game's worst recoveries though its weaknesses prevent it from being great either.
meh frame data,
Can't argue with this, but it's not terrible either and he does have a few really exceptional moves (hello UAir)
an effect that makes it so you do more damage if you hit the top half of him,
This essentially means that he's several units lighter than his in-game weight would suggest, it's not a crippling weakness. You also forgot to mention that he takes less damage when the Kart is hit.
a neutral heavily relient on a projectile you can easily use against him,
Here we start to get into gameply-specific details where I'm a little fuzzier since I haven't used him as much lately. But, while I believe that this is essentially true, this really doesn't seem that different from a lot of characters. A lot of characters have limited neutrals and have to take risks to get in. Relying on Mechakoopas doesn't seem a lot different than relying on Gyros or Bonus Fruit. Bowser Jr. also has a quick combo-starting Special and large and disjointed aerials to compliment his neutral (as a Game & Watch main I'd love an autocancel on my FAir). It's mainly limited by his poor mobility outside of Side-B and his bad grab.
and no kill power... oh wait
Semantics here, but Bowser Jr. has bad kill options, not power. His smashes are all potent (especially FSmash, which, if it's not safe on shield, is pretty dang close), BAir hurts quite a bit, Up-B can kill from the Kart explosion or from the hammer (or a combo of the two), and Side-B's spinoff kills. His major issue with killing is that he usually can't force his opponent into situations to he hit by these moves and they're rather committal. Offstage trapping is usually the best way to land a kill. If nothing else, Side-B to UAir can do the trick.

I think Bowser Jr. is in the bottom half of the cast but he has a lot of great tools. They just don't quite work together well enough to be consistently threatening, and they don't quite stack up to the tools of the top and high tiers.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
On paper, Jigglypuff is a character that inherently suffers by the mechanics and state of the metagame. In a 2-stock meta, where your punish game means everything and the rage mechanic can skew the outcome of games, Jigglypuff is by far the smallest benefactor. Her extremely low weight means that she almost always can never benefit from rage-while any other character in the game that she is facing can. This concept alone is a -2(hurt by something and your opponent is helped by something). Also if her shield is broken she always takes the maximum punish- a stock which is already a -3. Just looking at nothing but the mechanics of the game.
I've always looked at Jigglypuff almost the opposite; she looks great on paper to me. She has the best air mobility in the game, a clutch move that kills at 30% (Rest), and some of the best edge guarding the game has to offer. However, in practice, she's simply too light to last very long, especially when you consider your opponents rage (which, by the way, your opponent should have a lot of because aside from rest, Jiggs has limited kill opportunities).

I mean she's obviously bottom tier, but on paper, she has some the makings of a top tier. It's just the In practice section that solidifies her position where it is.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I've always looked at Jigglypuff almost the opposite; she looks great on paper to me. She has the best air mobility in the game, a clutch move that kills at 30% (Rest), and some of the best edge guarding the game has to offer. However, in practice, she's simply too light to last very long, especially when you consider your opponents rage (which, by the way, your opponent should have a lot of because aside from rest, Jiggs has limited kill opportunities).

I mean she's obviously bottom tier, but on paper, she has some the makings of a top tier. It's just the In practice section that solidifies her position where it is.
Even if this is true, what good is a beautiful paper without something to write with?

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Diddy doesn't have killing aerials
I'm just going to say that bair and fair can kill by the ledge, uair can kill (and combos from nair for kills) and obviously dair kills offstage. Now that I think of it, all of Diddy's aerials can score a KO one way or another.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
I'm just going to say that bair and fair can kill by the ledge, uair can kill (and combos from nair for kills) and obviously dair kills offstage. Now that I think of it, all of Diddy's aerials can score a KO one way or another.
The same thing can be said about Pikachu but that doesn't mean hes good at killing lmao
I think Bowser Jr. is in the bottom half of the cast but he has a lot of great tools. They just don't quite work together well enough to be consistently threatening, and they don't quite stack up to the tools of the top and high tiers.
I agree with this, Bowser JR does have the tools to be good but the way they work together just doesn't create that sort of flow needed to be good

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I mean, its not like he doesn't have one of the games worst recoveries, meh frame data, an effect that makes it so you do more damage if you hit the top half of him, a neutral heavily relient on a projectile you can easily use against him, and no kill power... oh wait
And here you prove my point

" of the games worst recoveries"
This old meme.

Please tell me how a character with effectively 3 jumps offstage (kart gives him another jump and spinning out gives you yet another jump. Mix it up however you please), superb horizontal recovery with kart that has partial super armor, an up B with good vertical height that allows you to airdodge while going up and falling down + gives him a frame 8, 15% kill move, and large, meaty aerial hitboxes he can throw out to defend himself has one of the worst recoveries.
Up B can be messed with pretty hard but he has so many other options offstage that it's myopic to say his recovery is awful overall.

"meh frame data"

His frame data is pretty damn acceptable for his excellent, long range disjoints and meaty hitboxes. The power they contain is pretty sweet too (11, 10, 10, 15, 6). Few characters are punishing a well spaced Bair consistently.

"an effect that makes it so you do more damage if you hit the top half of him"

And an effect that makes it so that you do less damage to him if you hit the larger half of him. Plus, his weight is 6th best in the game.

"a neutral heavily relient on a projectile you can easily use against him"

Mecha koopa is an excellent stage control tool for Bowser Jr. but he isn't heavily reliant on it. The combination of MK stage control and traps, Kart mobility and combo starting ability, and the amount of respect his aerials demand is what you are missing. Also, MK is only easily used against you if the Boswer Jr player is bad. It has counterplay, but if you are letting it get picked up consistently then you're doing it wrong. It isn't meant to be left alone.

The crazy pressure and traps come in when you stay near it and force your opponent to split their focus. When the MK is out, you're on the offensive while it covers your tail.

"no kill power"

MK traps/kill confirms, abandon ship kill confirms, kart kill confirms, frame 7 usmash, one of the most lethal ledge pressure/trap games in smash 4 + powerful edgeguarding ability, and an fsmash safe on shield is "no kill power"?

I mean...aight man.

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=AeEyts4oIVQ
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=67XzuOMET7U

Observe the percentages that ConCon and tyrant die at on average.

"... oh wait"

I will never understand arrogant ignorance. You present false claims in an attempt to prove me wrong, then hit me with the smug sarcasm. Just...y tho

Edit: his actual weaknesses are his awful rapid jab (jab 1 comes out frame 4 tho, and has an FAF of 20), meh grab (except pivot grab which is phenomenal), okay-ish throws that don't kill, and a kart that can be punished easily if you use it too liberally. His cqc ain't that great either but he's no brawler

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Top 16 Weighted:
:4cloud2:210.5
:4bayonetta:188
:4diddy:184
:4sonic:172
:4fox:165.5
:4sheik:148
:4mario:145.5
:4mewtwo:144
:4zss:118.5
:rosalina:88

October results:

1st: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd: IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4zss:
3rd: Komorikiri :4sonic:, :4cloud2:
4th: Mr. R :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
5th: RNG | Dabuz :rosalina:, :4olimar:
5th: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
7th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
7th: DNL | Marss :4zss:
9th: CT MVG | Salem :4bayonetta:
9th: Fatality :4falcon:
9th: SS | Mr. E :4marth:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:
13th: DTN | Kameme :4megaman:
13th: SS | WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Ri-ma :4tlink:
13th: DMG | Tweek :4cloud2:

1st: Salem :4bayonetta:
2nd: Abadango :4mewtwo:
3rd: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:, :4olimar:
4th: Kameme :4megaman:
5th: 6WX :4sonic:
5th: Dath :4robinf:
7th: Nairo :4lucina:, :4cloud2:, :4robinf:
7th: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
9th: FILIP :4mario:
9th: Komorikiri :4sonic:, :4cloud2:
9th: Shogun :4fox:
9th: Kie :4peach:
13th: Sodrek :4fox:
13th: Ksev :4fox:
13th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Remzi :4zss:

1st: Nietono :4sheik:, :4diddy:
2nd: Kirihara :rosalina:
3rd: KEN :4sonic:, :4corrinf:
4th: Choco :4zss:
5th: Dainosuke :4diddy:
5th: Taranito :4ness:
7th: Umeki :4peach:
7th: Shu :4sonic:
9th: Arc :4falco:
9th: Eim :4sheik:
9th: YOC :4corrinf:, :4sonic:
9th: Songn :4mario:, :4gaw:
13th: YuriAIR :4falcon:
13th: Yuzu :rosalina:
13th: Mao :4cloud2:
13th: bAhuto :4mario:, :4luigi:

1st: SH :4fox:
2nd: Taiheita :4lucas:
3rd: Ikep :4bayonetta:
4th: Rizeasu :4marth:
5th: 9B :4bayonetta:
5th: Eda :4falcon:
7th: Earth :4pit:, :4corrinf:
7th: HIKARU :4dk:
9th: Sign :rosalina:
9th: Kuro :4pit:
9th: Nga :4megaman:
9th: Kisha :4bowser:, :4megaman:
13th: Onpu :4zelda:
13th: DIO :4yoshi:
13th: Oishiitofu :4greninja:
13th: Masha :4shulk:

1st: Khanage :4peach:
2nd: Yacka Bean :4tlink:
3rd: SilentDoom :4cloud2:, :4charizard:
4th: SevereCalamari :4lucario:
5th: Lucretio :4marth:
5th: KEIKUNz :4diddy:
7th: Luigimitsu :4villager:
7th: Kylethh :4yoshi:
9th: SteelWing :4falco:
9th: Peligod :4sonic:
9th: G~P :4myfriends:
9th: Aperture :4sonic:
13th: SmashBound :4ness:
13th: Crispy :4metaknight:
13th: Zone :4corrinf:
13th: Flippy456 :substitute:

1st: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4feroy:
2nd: Griffith :4bayonetta:, :4mario:, :4sheik:
3rd: Destany :4littlemac:, :4metaknight:
4th: Kesa :4falcon:
5th: Fire :4charizard:
5th: Gluttony :4wario2:, :4diddy:
7th: Yosheroce :4yoshi:
7th: Homika :rosalina:
9th: XCloud :4zss:
9th: Blubo :4megaman:, :4myfriends:
9th: Ackatosh :4mario:, :4corrinf:
9th: Yoyod :4zss:
13th: Hedgeon :4sonic:
13th: Radiance :4myfriends:
13th: Skel’ :4sheik:
13th: HUNTER :substitute:

1st: Ghost :4bayonetta:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Waveguider :4greninja:, :4wiifit:
3rd: Boozer :4bowser:
4th: Scott :4cloud2:
5th: Luco :4lucas:, :4ness:
5th: Kristoph :4sonic:
7th: Quen :4ryu:
7th: Vasi :4littlemac:
9th: Jeese :4charizard:
9th: Buster :4link:
9th: Leisha :4rob:
9th: MM :4palutena:
13th: BJSchoey :4fox:
13th: Rae :4fox:
13th: Enn :4ness:, :4cloud2:
13th: Extra :4gaw:, :4wario2:

1st: Gluttony :4wario2:, :4marth::4diddy:
2nd: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4ryu::4feroy:
3rd: Griffith :4mario:, :4bayonetta::4lucario::4zss:
4th: Fire :4charizard:
5th: Anragon :4falco:
5th: Homika :rosalina:
7th: Ogey :4falcon:
7th: Nin’ :4rob:, :4diddy:
9th: Vanaheim :4rob:
9th: Hedgeon :4sonic:
9th: Shido :4mario:
9th: Milo :4mewtwo:
13th: OursOuzBek :4ryu:
13th: Serpreet :4zss:
13th: Kadaj :4zss:
13th: Meph :substitute:

Main thread is updated sans Top 8 Weighted which I'm working on atm.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Underrated:
:4lucina: Just going to say that she now has a good solo main (Kogarasuma) and some top players pocket her (Komo, Nairo).
:4corrinf:People give her a very hard time. She is not the most popular or played but it doesn't mean she blows. She is getting popular as a CP.
:4luigi:Good recent performances and has a lot of good things like grab game, crazy fast moves and crazy fast killers.
:4ness: Despite all the circlejerking people do to Ness he still pulls out good results each month. FOW and Shaky aren't the only Ness players in the world people. S1, Taranito, Gackt, NAKAT (sometimes), and a lot more exist. (But they can't travel!!)

Those get stale super fast and fresh they aren't the most powerful in terms of raw power.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The mechanic that hurts Jigglypuff more than anything else is multiple air dodges. In 64 and Melee, Jigglypuff can juggle well, taking advantage of no/limited air dodging. In Brawl/Smash 4, Jigglypuff's juggles aren't reliable enough, and while Smash 4 has landing lag on air dodges, Jigglypuff also happens to be a character that can't exploit it too well.

Also, because OTHER characters have multiple air dodges, it makes Jigglypuff's aerial prowess less significant.

There are a million buffs that could be possible, but to address this specific issue, it'd probably require either a quicker jump squat, or a higher vertical distance per jump (so Jiggs could better chase characters it up throws, for example).

Re: Shulk

I don't know if I'd call Shulk underrated, but I think there's sort of a skewed view of Shulk's flaws that exists by comparing him mainly to specific characters. We all talk about how Shulk has long startup on a bunch of his attacks, most notably his aerials, but it's mainly an issue when fighting the characters with the quickest frame data. Shulk is viewed as doing fairly well against some highish/top tiers, such as Mewtwo, Marth, and Cloud, and that's because Shulk isn't dealing with characters with frame-3 nairs and what-not. Shulk still has worse frame data on average than those characters, but the gap isn't so wide that you can just hit buttons and stuff everything he does.

In a metagame with more zoners and swordsmen, Shulk does better. I think we're seeing that now to a certain extent, though we also shouldn't underestimate the work that Shulks have been putting in to deal with even his bad matchups.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Top 16 Weighted:
:4cloud2:210.5
:4bayonetta:188
:4diddy:184
:4sonic:172
:4fox:165.5
:4sheik:148
:4mario:145.5
:4mewtwo:144
:4zss:118.5
:rosalina:88

October results:

1st: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd: IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4zss:
3rd: Komorikiri :4sonic:, :4cloud2:
4th: Mr. R :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
5th: RNG | Dabuz :rosalina:, :4olimar:
5th: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
7th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
7th: DNL | Marss :4zss:
9th: CT MVG | Salem :4bayonetta:
9th: Fatality :4falcon:
9th: SS | Mr. E :4marth:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:
13th: DTN | Kameme :4megaman:
13th: SS | WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Ri-ma :4tlink:
13th: DMG | Tweek :4cloud2:

1st: Salem :4bayonetta:
2nd: Abadango :4mewtwo:
3rd: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:, :4olimar:
4th: Kameme :4megaman:
5th: 6WX :4sonic:
5th: Dath :4robinf:
7th: Nairo :4lucina:, :4cloud2:, :4robinf:
7th: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
9th: FILIP :4mario:
9th: Komorikiri :4sonic:, :4cloud2:
9th: Shogun :4fox:
9th: Kie :4peach:
13th: Sodrek :4fox:
13th: Ksev :4fox:
13th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Remzi :4zss:

1st: Nietono :4sheik:, :4diddy:
2nd: Kirihara :rosalina:
3rd: KEN :4sonic:, :4corrinf:
4th: Choco :4zss:
5th: Dainosuke :4diddy:
5th: Taranito :4ness:
7th: Umeki :4peach:
7th: Shu :4sonic:
9th: Arc :4falco:
9th: Eim :4sheik:
9th: YOC :4corrinf:, :4sonic:
9th: Songn :4mario:, :4gaw:
13th: YuriAIR :4falcon:
13th: Yuzu :rosalina:
13th: Mao :4cloud2:
13th: bAhuto :4mario:, :4luigi:

1st: SH :4fox:
2nd: Taiheita :4lucas:
3rd: Ikep :4bayonetta:
4th: Rizeasu :4marth:
5th: 9B :4bayonetta:
5th: Eda :4falcon:
7th: Earth :4pit:, :4corrinf:
7th: HIKARU :4dk:
9th: Sign :rosalina:
9th: Kuro :4pit:
9th: Nga :4megaman:
9th: Kisha :4bowser:, :4megaman:
13th: Onpu :4zelda:
13th: DIO :4yoshi:
13th: Oishiitofu :4greninja:
13th: Masha :4shulk:

1st: Khanage :4peach:
2nd: Yacka Bean :4tlink:
3rd: SilentDoom :4cloud2:, :4charizard:
4th: SevereCalamari :4lucario:
5th: Lucretio :4marth:
5th: KEIKUNz :4diddy:
7th: Luigimitsu :4villager:
7th: Kylethh :4yoshi:
9th: SteelWing :4falco:
9th: Peligod :4sonic:
9th: G~P :4myfriends:
9th: Aperture :4sonic:
13th: SmashBound :4ness:
13th: Crispy :4metaknight:
13th: Zone :4corrinf:
13th: Flippy456 :substitute:

1st: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4feroy:
2nd: Griffith :4bayonetta:, :4mario:, :4sheik:
3rd: Destany :4littlemac:, :4metaknight:
4th: Kesa :4falcon:
5th: Fire :4charizard:
5th: Gluttony :4wario2:, :4diddy:
7th: Yosheroce :4yoshi:
7th: Homika :rosalina:
9th: XCloud :4zss:
9th: Blubo :4megaman:, :4myfriends:
9th: Ackatosh :4mario:, :4corrinf:
9th: Yoyod :4zss:
13th: Hedgeon :4sonic:
13th: Radiance :4myfriends:
13th: Skel’ :4sheik:
13th: HUNTER :substitute:

1st: Ghost :4bayonetta:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Waveguider :4greninja:, :4wiifit:
3rd: Boozer :4bowser:
4th: Scott :4cloud2:
5th: Luco :4lucas:, :4ness:
5th: Kristoph :4sonic:
7th: Quen :4ryu:
7th: Vasi :4littlemac:
9th: Jeese :4charizard:
9th: Buster :4link:
9th: Leisha :4rob:
9th: MM :4palutena:
13th: BJSchoey :4fox:
13th: Rae :4fox:
13th: Enn :4ness:, :4cloud2:
13th: Extra :4gaw:, :4wario2:

1st: Gluttony :4wario2:, :4marth::4diddy:
2nd: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4ryu::4feroy:
3rd: Griffith :4mario:, :4bayonetta::4lucario::4zss:
4th: Fire :4charizard:
5th: Anragon :4falco:
5th: Homika :rosalina:
7th: Ogey :4falcon:
7th: Nin’ :4rob:, :4diddy:
9th: Vanaheim :4rob:
9th: Hedgeon :4sonic:
9th: Shido :4mario:
9th: Milo :4mewtwo:
13th: OursOuzBek :4ryu:
13th: Serpreet :4zss:
13th: Kadaj :4zss:
13th: Meph :substitute:

Main thread is updated sans Top 8 Weighted which I'm working on atm.
Does my heart good to see all those Charizard results.

Koopa, I'm curious. What do you think about Charizard at this point?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The same thing can be said about Pikachu but that doesn't mean hes good at killing lmao

I agree with this, Bowser JR does have the tools to be good but the way they work together just doesn't create that sort of flow needed to be good
I don't think Bowser Jr. is good at killing, really, but I wouldn't say he's weak, either.

Pacman9 helped elaborate on a few of my points.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I don't think Bowser Jr. is good at killing, really, but I wouldn't say he's weak, either.

Pacman9 helped elaborate on a few of my points.
His point about killing was referring to Diddy Kong, not Bowser Jr.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Can we talk about :4zss:for a while? Moreover, why she isn't S tier? I mean top 8 is still good, but she's behind :4sonic: and :4fox: and I feel like she should be above both of them. There's a lot of good :4sonic: players that do decent, but the :4zss: players (Nairo, Marss) do REALLY well and are a bit more consistant. And :4fox:? Larry Lurr is making him relevant but that's almost it (I feel like there's 1 more I'm missing).

I would think :4zss: would be top 5 or maybe top 6. She has better kill options and better gimps than :4sonic: and :4fox: ( to a slightly lesser extent) and she has great combo potential that top players can easily optimize. She has the best recovery in the game (Beefy Smash Doods) and, imo, has fewerbad matchups than :4sonic: and :4fox:.

Can anyone make a case for Sonic and Fox?

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Nairo believes TL beats ZSS and thinks Lucario is cute OwO
I'm not the only one then...

---
Can we talk about :4zss:for a while? Moreover, why she isn't S tier? I mean top 8 is still good, but she's behind :4sonic: and :4fox: and I feel like she should be above both of them. There's a lot of good :4sonic: players that do decent, but the :4zss: players (Nairo, Marss) do REALLY well and are a bit more consistant. And :4fox:? Larry Lurr is making him relevant but that's almost it (I feel like there's 1 more I'm missing).

I would think :4zss: would be top 5 or maybe top 6. She has better kill options and better gimps than :4sonic: and :4fox: ( to a slightly lesser extent) and she has great combo potential that top players can easily optimize. She has the best recovery in the game (Beefy Smash Doods) and, imo, has fewerbad matchups than :4sonic: and :4fox:.

This is an interesting topic. ZSS does appear to be used less overall than Sonic and Fox though, and has overall less results (according to DasKoopa's post anyway).

We're at a point where the top tier is incredibly undecided and players can have opinions and make arguments for almost any character. There doesn't appear to be a huge jump in power within the top tier either (as in Brawl Meta Knight stuff).

I am glad ZSS still keeps getting the results in. There was a time when her being "figured out" was quite popular, and she started dropping in opinion a fair bit. I'm glad she's proven otherwise.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Can we talk about :4zss:for a while? Moreover, why she isn't S tier? I mean top 8 is still good, but she's behind :4sonic: and :4fox: and I feel like she should be above both of them. There's a lot of good :4sonic: players that do decent, but the :4zss: players (Nairo, Marss) do REALLY well and are a bit more consistent. And :4fox:? Larry Lurr is making him relevant but that's almost it (I feel like there's 1 more I'm missing).

I would think :4zss: would be top 5 or maybe top 6. She has better kill options and better gimps than :4sonic: and :4fox: ( to a slightly lesser extent) and she has great combo potential that top players can easily optimize. She has the best recovery in the game (Beefy Smash Doods) and, imo, has fewer bad matchups than :4sonic: and :4fox:.

Since you were kind enough to divide the post I'll try to answer:

1) Representation and results
Sonic and Fox suffocate ZSS in terms of quantity. ZSS has *consistently* Nairo and Marss. She also has Choco, Nick Riddle and Remzi if the stars align. Sonic has so many good players he looks like a plague (KEN, 6WX, Seagull Joe, SuperGirlKels, Komorikiri, Wrath, Craftis, Spark/Manny/however the hell he is called, and the list goes on). I remember commenting in summer that every new tournament a new Sanic arised. Because of the large number of Sonics, if one is missing, another replaces it and gets top 8. With ZSS, not so much, although the ZSS players don't get eliminated often if they go to tournament. Fox isn't just Larry. He also has SH, Shogun, Ksev, and Sodrek. The Fox players are always active all at the same time, and that's why he rised in DasKoopa's chart. On wins Sanic has plagued top 8s and KEN won a tournament without losing at all. Fox has a lot of 1st from Larry and recently one from SH. We also got a plague of Fox last month. ZSS has 1.1.6 1st, but because Fox and Sonic have more rep, all the rep stacks up in the results.

2) The characters and the kit
KO options, gimping, combo potential:
:4sonic: ZSS has more raw power in her kill moves, point for her, but Sanic's KO options aren't bad at all. If we are going for camp2win killing doesn't matter much to Sonic. Spring gimping is very good against characters with terrible/exploitable recoveries and Fair is really good to eat jumps and get a gimp. In combos he is alright, I would say that getting combos from Spin2win is better than a risky grab but just an opinion.

:4fox:. He has Up Smash and Uair to kill. Nuff said. Fox doesn't gimp. He ledgeguards, and he is really freaking good at it. Up Tilt 2 frames super cheap, Nair acts like :4sheik:, Bair is super good in this situation, and Up Smash is good to catch anything. In combos, I think Fox is much better. Just about everything in his kit can lead to a 30% combo or 0-death (for example his Uair death chains).

3)MUs
:4zss:has a bad MU with :4diddy:, who has a huge population, and I think it limits her more than :4fox::4sonic: bad MUs. IIRC :4zss:also doesn't do very well against :4sheik:. (Offtopic, but can someone explain to me why :4myfriends:"beats" :4sonic:? Can't Sonic camp2win or get an Up Throw and juggle him forever?).

As always, just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
While we're on the topic of top players and Dabuz is posting here, just want to call him out for being one of the only top players of any smash game to combine player skill with solid theory.

I've been reviewing some footage of top players recently to try to predict who's going to be on the rise in the future. My vote goes for Dabuz, and the argument in his favor is that he, like Anti, is one of the few players to be able to play neutral on a per-matchup basis instead of playing every matchup in a similar way, especially with regard to movement.

It's easy to change which moves you use based on a matchup, but it's so so hard to move differently based on the matchup.

The use of Rosalina's crouch/crawl in matchups like vs. Marth and Lucina is exactly what I'm talking about. Those matchups are so hard for Rosas who don't crawl. But crawl probably puts it even or in Rosa's favor because she can dodge some of their neutral hitboxes and counterpoke. This is the kind of subtle neutral movement adaptation that separates Dabuz from other top players, imo.

I don't know how much faith I have in Rosalina, but faith in Dabuz is very high for future tournaments, as I believe the meta is now finally moving in a direction such that movement patterns and matchups will be the focus going forward.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
The use of Rosalina's crouch/crawl in matchups like vs. Marth and Lucina is exactly what I'm talking about. Those matchups are so hard for Rosas who don't crawl. But crawl probably puts it even or in Rosa's favor because she can dodge some of their neutral hitboxes and counterpoke.
Rosalina crouching against Marth or Lucina doesn't grant much in general; Jab still hits, Dtilt still hits, Ftilt still hits (and in a way, these moves are all safer due to Rosalina's hurtbox extending sever so slightly more forward when she crouches). Fair is in a sense safer to space on a crouching Rosalina because it forces you to space it closer to the ground, and thus, this makes it safer upon landing. Rising Nair is a little harder to land, but FF Nair is no different to land (this is usually the preferred option as well). I certainly wouldn't go as far as you did and say that crouching against Marth or Lucina makes the MU a lot easier, because it doesn't really. What it really does is makes Marth or Lucina space a few of their aerials slightly differently, but it doesn't grant Rosalina any notable advantages.

A good example would be Villager, as it makes landing Fair and Bair a little harder and more precision is needed (if Gravitational Pull isn't used that is). That said, Rosalina beats Villager anyway, so it's not quite as notable.

But I certainly agree with what you said about Dabuz. Being able to switch up your game based on the character, or even the player you are playing is vital, and Dabuz seems to do this quite well.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Ah, about the previous argument this place had about whether or not Cloud beats Rosa or if it is the other way around...
TBH6 was far from the first time I heard people claim Cloud beats Rosa, actually. In fact, I always heard that, and hearing people think it's the opposite is basically news to me. Why do people in general have such polarizing view of Cloud's MUs? (Mario, Rosa, Marcina are some I can think of right now)

D

Deleted member

Re: Shulk

I don't know if I'd call Shulk underrated, but I think there's sort of a skewed view of Shulk's flaws that exists by comparing him mainly to specific characters. We all talk about how Shulk has long startup on a bunch of his attacks, most notably his aerials, but it's mainly an issue when fighting the characters with the quickest frame data. Shulk is viewed as doing fairly well against some highish/top tiers, such as Mewtwo, Marth, and Cloud, and that's because Shulk isn't dealing with characters with frame-3 nairs and what-not. Shulk still has worse frame data on average than those characters, but the gap isn't so wide that you can just hit buttons and stuff everything he does.

In a metagame with more zoners and swordsmen, Shulk does better. I think we're seeing that now to a certain extent, though we also shouldn't underestimate the work that Shulks have been putting in to deal with even his bad matchups.
I agree with your views on Shulk. I don't think he's significantly better than he's viewed right now, I'd consider him 40-35th place if I were to be fully optimistic. On the topic of high tiers he does alright against, he really only has a slight loss against Sheik. It's a doable matchup for him even if tough in some areas if he's put into disadvantage, honestly he probably has it best compared to all the other swordies against her. There's also upper-mid/debatably high tier characters he's seen as going even or having the advantage against like :4peach::4ness::4tlink::4lucas::4lucario:.

Shulk doesn't do well against Marth though imo, most Shulk mains consider it even. We can't directly challenge Marth in the air and it's hard for us to workaround tippers. Playing a grounded/grab-based game is important against Marth.

However, Shulk mains have been indeed putting in the work, the issue rn is their best players (Nicko, Darkwolf, Masha) not being able to travel far outside their respective regions. The only person doing do right now is Tremendo Dude and he tends to drown at majors unfortunately. He's one of the "better labber instead of a player" types. There's a chart of tournament results Shulk has that I made with @valakmtnsmash4 if you want to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Exactly. The argument of "Why don't people counterpick low tiers instead of cloud" presented by @JustSomeScrub is flawed, because picking a low tier is a gamble because they are, in fact, a low tier. They're not a low tier because less people play them, they are low tier characters because they have less, or worse options. Why invest time in a difficult, less rewarding character that you ultimately won't be maining anyways when you can put that secondary/pocket time into an easy, rewarding character while also furthering your own main?
I think you missed my point. Mario isn't a low tier, neither is Ness.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
(Offtopic, but can someone explain to me why :4myfriends:"beats" :4sonic:? Can't Sonic camp2win or get an Up Throw and juggle him forever?).
As I've explained before: Ike has enough speed that, when combined with his sword Sonic can't escape forever. The legal stages are too small, when he tries that he gets hit. If he has the lead in say, the last 30 seconds sure he can try it. But as an overall game plan? Has been tried, failed. Bonus points for the fact everybody and their mother keeps going to Smashville which is like, anti-camp stage.

As for the Up Throw stuff, no Sonic can't juggle him forever. If he goes up to hit Ike, he whiffs once and Ike is getting back down before he can. You can just pull up any high level Ike vs Sonic video and see that Sonic just doesn't really have the ability to juggle Ike repeatedly. Not with the timing of things with their fall speeds and the like. He generally gets one hit attempt off of a Uthrow, that's it.

Interestedly enough both San and SM lost to a Sonic at BH6. However uh, as far as I'm aware neither was recorded. So I have no clue what happened. I know San's went to game 3 so I don't know if it was say, just bad luck/SD during game 3. Ike still has a dominating record over Sonic so my thoughts on the MU itself haven't changed. Its something to keep an eye on for it becoming a pattern but for now its "a 6-4 MU means the other guy wins a reasonable portion of the time, just happened here".

If Sonic does end up "figuring out" the MU and changing things (as in actually figuring it out and not just a lower number of high level Ike mains ends up screwing up the outlook), Cloud and his others bad MUs would nooooot be far behind. Ike's one of the few characters that can reliably punish Spin Dash, and punish it hard. If they get around that, prepare for a sea of blue at every major.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
TUTTURU~
What is so complicated about Lylat that makes it so buggy?
Wow, that's...something. I don't recall that happening quite as often in Brawl, if at all. I can see it being patched though if it gets spread around enough. The ledges of Lylat have already been patched before. Made up specials go along them towards the ledge so fewer characters got trapped under it.

Until that happens (or possibly doesn't) I wonder if this'll cause more people to want the stage banned. Pretty sure it's the least liked stage of the current legal ones by the majority of people as is and while this has been known about, that video just shows how consistently it can be done.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Wow, that's...something. I don't recall that happening quite as often in Brawl, if at all. I can see it being patched though if it gets spread around enough. The ledges of Lylat have already been patched before. Made up specials go along them towards the ledge so fewer characters got trapped under it.

Until that happens (or possibly doesn't) I wonder if this'll cause more people to want the stage banned. Pretty sure it's the least liked stage of the current legal ones by the majority of people as is and while this has been known about, that video just shows how consistently it can be done.
That would be implying recoveries still don't get stuck under the stage. The ledgesnap in that stage is also biased as hell, seeing how far magnet-hands go sometimes in there, or how sometimes it doesn't seem to exist at all.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
That would be implying recoveries still don't get stuck under the stage. The ledgesnap in that stage is also biased as hell, seeing how far magnet-hands go sometimes in there, or how sometimes it doesn't seem to exist at all.
Yeah, I've seen some crazy far reaches using Doc and Lucina on that stage before. And while I'm sure recoveries do still get caught, it's not as bad as it was before. I know one of the more annoying aspects of the stage is that the tilting can screw you over if you choose to let go of the ledge and try to double jump up. Too many times have I seen my cousin bump his head off the stage and then slowly Fire Fox up without any invincibility upon the re-grab. Regardless, if Nintendo or whoever is in charge of patches cares to spend anymore time on this game, I could see another patch affecting Lylat.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, I've seen some crazy far reaches using Doc and Lucina on that stage before. And while I'm sure recoveries do still get caught, it's not as bad as it was before. I know one of the more annoying aspects of the stage is that the tilting can screw you over if you choose to let go of the ledge and try to double jump up. Too many times have I seen my cousin bump his head off the stage and then slowly Fire Fox up without any invincibility upon the re-grab. Regardless, if Nintendo or whoever is in charge of patches cares to spend anymore time on this game, I could see another patch affecting Lylat.
Wasn't there that one time where someone got Finish Touch'd in Lylat and the stage tilt saved them before the hitstun ended and they got launched? I just watched a clip of that days ago, don't remember where.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't recall ever seeing that although I do recall seeing a R.O.B. gyro sending a Rosalina from normal percents to 200%+ in a matter of seconds thanks to the tilting. Honestly, with how stingy the general community is on stages (Delfino, Castle Siege and Halberd being banned) I'm surprised Lylat has lasted this long. I do recall talk of Umbra Clock Tower being a replacement for one of the current stages but it has temporary walkoffs, a transition with a platform under the main one and the shaking makes many, including myself, nauseous. Too bad the Wii U version never got Brawl Yoshi's Island.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

This is just a hunch, and I may be completely off base here, but I kind of feel like one issue behind the particular brand of ZSS' niche, and why she isn't as much of a hot topic in discussion these days, is she's somewhat forced to compete just a little bit with Bayonetta being in the game now. Nairo and Salem's set at TBH6 kind of highlighted why I feel ZSS might not be viewed with the same level of fervor in the future, even though Nairo straight up eviscerated Salem in their last few games. Both characters effectively have a similar game plan when it comes to their aerials, neutral and getting high damage off of a good read/punish. I think what holds ZSS back from being an undisputed S-tier though is she just suffers way too much off of a failed read in spite of great mobility. In the pre-patch Sheik meta before a lot of other characters started catching on (and before ZSS' nerfs) I think she definitely stood her ground in the Top 3 due to her comeback queen traits but nowadays I wonder whether certain characters have been developed enough to more charitably deal with her playstyle - especially since they now have to deal with a new character who can punish players easily without having to commit hard to the best options.

Mind you I still think she's Top 10 at minimum, but also closer to an A+ at best rather than S. The top tier is such a shark tank as of present it's hard to see ZSS being on the better half of it. There are so many characters that are stupidly good at converting smaller or safer approaches into advantage stealers these days, or have the capacity and leeway to win the neutral plenty of times, that against them ZSS feels more occupant in a high-risk-high-reward proposition.

As for your Fox and Sonic comparisons, I dunno. Killing options aren't always the end-all, be-all. Sonic in particular has a way of mitigating his lack of such by invalidating the neutral against a large majority of the cast which is a huge boon in his favor. Against ZSS I don't think she has the requisite level of spacing/stage control to turn it into an explicit advantage for her - even if I don't believe the matchup goes beyond an even 50:50. Fox's killing moves might not have the same level of potency of ZSS' but landing them is way more consequence free and easy to set up, and while Fox doesn't have the range advantage he's the kind of character that would likely force an approach from many characters. In regards to players, Sonic definitely beats ZSS in a quantity/results ratio even if there are few Sonic players that would be on the same level as Nairo or Marss. Fox also sees some healthy representation and Larry has spearheaded some tremendous results that could feasibly put him close, if not on par with those two.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This was a wifi tourney so you might not want to include it.

I mainly wanted to point out that Some beat KEN again! This is his fourth time beating him.

Why are Gekkouga mains so good at the sonic match up?

:150:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Wasn't there that one time where someone got Finish Touch'd in Lylat and the stage tilt saved them before the hitstun ended and they got launched? I just watched a clip of that days ago, don't remember where.
It was Cloud getting saved from Mac's KO Punch due to the tilt he received little knock back when hit. It was on a recent dragon smash video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ytpLbGZayw) starts at 1:35.

These ledges are a stage hazard at this point. Would Halbert be THAT bad still? Aside the stage hazards I know the low ceiling was a issue but a lot of the ladder and upwards blast zone combos got nerfed. Would it still be too powerful a stage for characters like ZSS and Bayonetta? Speaking to replace Lylat Cruise with it, don't mean to start a full blown stage conversation.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This was a wifi tourney so you might not want to include it.

I mainly wanted to point out that Some beat KEN again! This is his fourth time beating him.

Why are Gekkouga mains so good at the sonic match up?

:150:
Japenese wifi tournaments are usually more credible than other ones, I heard. I think it's because everyone is in such close proximity that it makes the net better.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It was Cloud getting saved from Mac's KO Punch due to the tilt he received little knock back when hit. It was on a recent dragon smash video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ytpLbGZayw) starts at 1:35.

These ledges are a stage hazard at this point. Would Halbert be THAT bad still? Aside the stage hazards I know the low ceiling was a issue but a lot of the ladder and upwards blast zone combos got nerfed. Would it still be too powerful a stage for characters like ZSS and Bayonetta? Speaking to replace Lylat Cruise with it, don't mean to start a full blown stage conversation.
IMO:
  • The go-through main platform in Halberd is kinda annoying (it means you need to sweetspot the ledge if you don't want to clip through the stage, though I seriously have had more problem with BF's ledges than HLB).
  • Also, during the transformation sequences (most notably the very first one when the ship starts flying), the ceiling gets really low, like you already know. I think it's low enough where racking up some 30% with Mario and then doing Up Throw>Strongest hit of Up B is already a deadly 50-50. Also, characters with strong, fast moves with a lot of vertical knockback such as Rosa, Marcina, Corrin, Fox and some others can jank you out of a stock in the first 15 seconds.
Other than that, I think it's an alright stage. The stage hazards are barely there.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Wifi vs. reality is incredibly skewed because 6f of input lag is already in the game, now add wifi. That's basically it.

Also Bowser Jr's recovery is 100% bottom tier against Dr. Mario because Doc can Dair him out of Up+B and this autogimps him at most any % soooo yeah. Only in this matchup tho, lol.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Here are a few massive difference between presential and non-presential tournaments that matter that you might not even notice:
- In presential tournaments, the person you are playing is next to you/at best not far from you;
- There is a crowd in presential tournaments. In non-presential tournaments, you are either playing alone with your opponent, or there is a third player in the match as the streamer, which is not gonna do wonders for the connection;
- You have to spend time of your day and money to go and come back from a presential tournament and even participate in it in the first place. Non-presential, you are in the safety of your house and you can play the entire tournament in your bloody room drinking your chocolate milk under your AC while the sun is cooking everyone outside if you want;
- I am fairly sure you would need to have less than 16ms ping for there to be absolutely no lag at all. I already think default LAN lag is 5ms so both people would need to have excellent internet for the match to play exactly the same as an offline match. Adding one or two frames of lag is already gonna screw some things up (Perfect Pivots, last second counters, 2-Frames, etc.)

All of this adds up to make a completely different experience. It's hard to compare the two types of tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom