• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I've had a very stressful and anxiety-ridden week that thankfully has ended on a series of very positive notes, so I'll likely change up the data thread tomorrow if I have the time. This weekend's tournies:

-Umebura 25. This is a big deal - VoiD, Nakat, and Keitaro are attending, D1 will be commentating. KEN, Abadango, Kameme, Choco, and Some with be attending (T had to cancel due to University.)
-DI Another Day 2 (Australia)
-Syndicate 2016 (Netherlands)
-Smashadelphia II (Tristate)

Dependent on final # numbers: (close but not at the minumum 80 cap)
-Mid South Championships, AR
-Salt Ain't Pretty, UT
-Don't you Dair 3, NorCal

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
-Salt Ain't Pretty, UT
I'm a little upset that I didn't hear about this earlier, but I guess that's what I get for not really paying attention to the social media outlets!

Looking at the Smash GG listing of registered players, I can give a bit of a rundown on a few of the attendees.

Looks like Mew2King is coming. I'm kind of expecting him to dominate this as well as Melee.

Then there's Ven (Zelda,) X (Sonic), Calculus (Bayonetta), Diablo (Ryu), Lada (ROB), and FroZn (Mario). I may be wrong on a few characters but those are who I believe I know from the list.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Something Ness has over Lucas that i dont see mentioned is his nair. It is quick, powerful, decently ranged... but most of all, it forces a tech. If you miss, jab lock to fsmash is absurdly, absurdly powerful. Like, nair hits at 30 and youre dead powerful. Do NOT let Ness have smashville.

Also, dsmash is better at the ledge than Lucas's IMO; trading power for consistency is always worth it at the ledge, if the consistent move still packs a decent punch.

And pkthunder is actually an amazing extension of a juggle game. Lots of characters really dont have anything against it and take guaranteed damage until they close the gap.

Still, besides a few moves, it seems Lucas has a better version of Ness's moveset.

Perhaps im biased, but it also seems like ness counterplay is relatively trivial compared to Lucas counterplay. Ness really cant close in on certain characters, where Lucas forces the approach in every MU except maybe shiek and Cloud?

How does each do Vs sonic? I cant see ness doing well at all, but i know nothing of the lucas v sonic mu. Luco Luco ?

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Where puff struggles is with any one with a sword/longer limbs than her lol. No joke though dk vs puff or cloud vs puff sucks butt in neutral. Edge guarding and rest are her best gameplans and rest ain't what it used to be. Her attacks now have too much knock back compared to what she could do in melee and this hurts her wall of pain edge guard.
Marcina vs Jiggs MU is so much fun. Abuse your huge disjoint, smack her around as she tried to recover, condition her to shield a lot when suddenly... pop!

Megamang

Smash Lord
As jiggs, i very rarely shield. Mostly im moving in the air, airdodge has great frame data and if you catch someone holding in with fair you can get a fair to rest confirm.

Swords certainly make this hard... in most sword MUs i try and dash or walk into a powershield; often the arc makes the timing pretty easy.

SHAD rest can kill you for shield breaker, so be careful :p

I think if someone were to lab out what tools in each MU can be SHAD rested, that would help us put it in perspective. The great thing about this manuever is, you get to SHAD then react, so if you know you can hit you get the rest easy, but you never commit unless you can guarantee the hit. Stuff like this will make jiggly scary AF in bo3 environments.

Still, how badly trading hurts her makes the aerial spacing bittersweet.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I remember @Thinkaman commenting that Jigglypuff could be made pretty decent by buffing random numbers on her kit. I'm kind of inclined to agree. Her moves aren't that bad by themselves, they just don't often have enough reward for landing them. When you're the lightest character in the game you really can't afford to be making too many trades, and you want to be able to safely poke. Even with her excellent aerial mobility her lack of range means that she usually has to cross up her aerials for safety, and even then she usually doesn't want to be hitting shields.

Her game basically revolves around playing very patiently, air camping, and weaving in when the opponent makes a mistake. She can carry some foes to the blast zone, or at least far away enough that they can't recover, which is great. But a lot of characters have strong enough anti-air options that she has a really hard time getting in,and she can't force approaches or really even bait a specific action from opponents. Gordos may be bad to just throw out but they do restrict space and force the opponent to do something to react to them.

Basically she doesn't quite have all the tools she needs to make her gameplan effective, so when she does get in she can often (but not always) be underwhelming.

Drifting

Smash Cadet
NNID
Driftie
Is it just me, or is G&W really low?

He has some trouble killing, and gets killed easily, but he has heaps of benefits to make that not an issue.

He's small, quite fast, great combo game, long range, strong aerials, and an amazing up smash (and that's only off the top of my head)

+ A G&W recently won Australia's biggest national (OHN14), so it's not like he doesn't get results.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

He has some trouble killing, and gets killed easily, but he has heaps of benefits to make that not an issue.

He's small, quite fast, great combo game, long range, strong aerials, and an amazing up smash (and that's only off the top of my head)

+ A G&W recently won Australia's biggest national (OHN14), so it's not like he doesn't get results.
Don't forget Evo results...

I think he should be lower mid, but he is definitely underwhelming from Brawl it feels. I used to main him there.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I think he's that low because he's built in a way that forces him to always play second.

What I mean by this is that G&W has to weave in and out of your space until he can punish you for overcommitting. He's a lot like meta knight in that sense, but he doesn't have the matching speed or lethality in punish options to be nearly as scary. He can't not commit to anything due to his laggy attacks that are unsafe unless they actually land (nothing is safe on sheild bar usmash and none of his aerials autocancel in a sh).

This would be okay if G&W could force approaches, but he has nothing to do so with. Instead, he has to play an awkward nuetral of weaving and waiting.

While I don't think he's terrible, I don't see him getting anywhere higher than low mid tier (unless a footstool infinite is found for him...which seems likely given the widespread focus on footstool infinities in smash 4 right now)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm a little upset that I didn't hear about this earlier, but I guess that's what I get for not really paying attention to the social media outlets!

Looking at the Smash GG listing of registered players, I can give a bit of a rundown on a few of the attendees.

Looks like Mew2King is coming. I'm kind of expecting him to dominate this as well as Melee.

Then there's Ven (Zelda,) X (Sonic), Calculus (Bayonetta), Diablo (Ryu), Lada (ROB), and FroZn (Mario). I may be wrong on a few characters but those are who I believe I know from the list.
Adding onto this, from the PR directory thread, Idaho's Dank (Villager), Marathon (Robin), and POW (PAC-MAN) are attending; Nevada's coming in with JK (Bayonetta) and Vash (Little Mac), and Utah's also got JP (Lucas, but video results also show Mario, Sonic, and Villager) and Staz (Cloud and Diddy) who is list as being from Alaska, but probably currently lives in Utah or something.

Going off of the PR'd players and not including the "other" characters e.g. JP or Lada who has played Falco for weeklies, we've got 2 Bayonettas (Calculus and JK), 2 Clouds (M2K and Staz), 1 Diddy (Staz) 1 Lucas (JP), 1 Little Mac (Vash), 1 Mario (FroZn), 1 PAC-MAN, 1 ROB (Lada), 1 Robin (Marathon), 1 Ryu (Diablo), 1 Sonic (X), 1 Villager (Dank), and 1 Zelda (Ven).

Checked some others and holy crap, LooSe plays so many characters... First 4 results from YouTube have him playing Diddy, Fox, Greninja, Ness, PAC-MAN, and Samus. That's a wild card if there's any. That being said, I don't know if he was just messing around since those sets were from weeklies. Similar with Stami who has sets of playing as Captain Falcon, Diddy, Duck Hunt, Kirby, Ness, and Sonic.

Alaska: Staz (Cloud and Diddy) -- apparently, he's been visiting Utah for a while as his sets are on Gem State Smash. He's also done pretty well too... as he's PR'd for Utah.

Idaho: Dust (Link) -- may be incorrect as the most recent set is 5 months old --, October_Scream (Corrin and Lucario), Skynerd (Bowser), Tanuki (DK and Fox) -- see Dust's situation.

Maine: Spork (Corrin and Mario) -- closest name on the PR directory is "Sport" (Corrin, Falco, and Mario).

Nevada: Pwrup's Pollo (Marth) not to be confused with D~Pollo (Bowser).

Texas: Bojangles (Luigi) -- fun fact: has teamed up with Skynerd for doubles.

Utah: AlterEgo (Pikachu), Aurelius (Cloud and Link), BARRELROLL (Cloud and Fox), Cool Beans (Captain Falcon), GuardianOfTheLedge (Triple D), LooSe (Random?), Mr. Toast (Fox), Osiris (Captain Falcon, Mario, Marth, and Sheik) -- see Dust's situation --, PiXL (Ryu), Shesh (Roy) -- despite his location being blank --, Smerky (ZSS), Stammi (Random?), Stealthy (Mega Man), VaLor (Sonic) who has sets on Tourney Locator, Zalestus (PAC-MAN).

Arizona: TSS.

Colorado: Leon, Ryan Ball Z.

Idaho: Brick, Delta1911, The HarDe One, Metoo, Mr. Freeman -- ROB in PM apparently --, Tanuki, T-Way.

Nevada: Blinx, Jake from Statefarm, Lumen.

Utah: All's End, Blu, Death Arcana (Toon Link or maybe Peach) -- only Melee, Brawl and PM sets came up --, Gawain, Hammer, Mr_Boggles, nb, No Grace, Remioli (Peach in Melee), Prescott, Quark, thechoznjuan, Vermillion -- probably not Norcal's ST | Vermillion (Cloud), and dude whose username has a swear word.

Wyoming: Lange.

Unknown location: CtheV, Rage, Ransom, Swift, Tirazul, Tsunami.

Man... I'm bored.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I think he's that low because he's built in a way that forces him to always play second.

What I mean by this is that G&W has to weave in and out of your space until he can punish you for overcommitting. He's a lot like meta knight in that sense, but he doesn't have the matching speed or lethality in punish options to be nearly as scary. He can't not commit to anything due to his laggy attacks that are unsafe unless they actually land (nothing is safe on sheild bar usmash and none of his aerials autocancel in a sh).

This would be okay if G&W could force approaches, but he has nothing to do so with. Instead, he has to play an awkward nuetral of weaving and waiting.

While I don't think he's terrible, I don't see him getting anywhere higher than low mid tier (unless a footstool infinite is found for him...which seems likely given the widespread focus on footstool infinities in smash 4 right now)
I did some brief footstool testing with him, he falls too slowly to get anything significant out of a footstool (barring DAir spikes). Plus his only locking moves are weak FAir, Judge 2, and DAir's meteor at low percents (and even then the landing hitbox might screw that up).

Drifting

Smash Cadet
NNID
Driftie
Agree with low mid tier being the ideal spot for G&W, but isn't d-tilt safe on shield? (spaced ofc), and to add, he can mess with characters like Cloud or Robin with his bucket, and then kill/severely damage them (or break their shield :cheep:)with the oil spill. Plus, if all goes wrong, you can always get that early percent down throw to Judge, which, if my math is correct, you can usually get 2/3 (?) off a stock (depending on weight/rage) which is about a 44-66% chance of hitting it in a 2 stock game, and a 66-100% (not literally 100) in a 3 stock game.

EDIT: Ideally I would put :4gaw: inbetween Robin and Bowser

Last edited:

Molk

Smash Cadet

What I mean by this is that G&W can't really not commit to anything due to his laggy attacks that are unsafe unless they actually land (NOTHING IS SAFE ON SHIELD BAR USMASH) and none of his aerials autocancel in a sh). You kinda have to weave in and out of your opponent's space until you can punish your opponent for overcommitting. He's a lot lot meta knight in that sense, but he doesn't have the speed in punish options to be nearly as scary.

This would be okay if G&W could force approaches, but he nothing to do so with so he has to play an awkward nuetral of weaving, waiting, and empty hops.

When will this myth die.

I'm sorry, but i see people say this about G&W a lot, when it's honestly not completely true, the character actually has significantly more options that can be safe on block then people suggest as long as you're spacing properly.

Outside of Usmash (which is extremely safe on block, +4 on shield drop is no joke). Jab 1 is another grounded option that is fairly safe if spaced well, only being -8 on OOS and -1 on shield drop, this means that it can be shieldgrabbed, yes, but that's only possible if you space it extremely poorly or the character in question has a huge grab range, if you space jab 1 properly, it should be pretty safe against the majority of the cast if spaced, and certain characters with slow oos options (for example say, lucas, even his fastest option isn't fast enough to get a guaranteed punish on G&W's jab oos afaik) don't have an offensive answer to it at all. Jab 1 has some pretty good reward too, as the rapid jab itself has pretty good damage output (although i wish jab 1 linked into the rapid jab a little more effectively) and it has viable mixups out of it such as grab, dtilt, and dash attack. On top of this, Jab 1's extremely fast FAF makes it pretty difficult to whiff punish as well. The Sweetspot of Fsmash can also be seen as somewhat safe if spaced to an extent due to the amount of shieldstun and shield pushback it causes (and even the sourspot has the same damage output as Mario's Usmash while G&W's Fsmash actually has less cooldown, meaning that even the sourspot of G&W's Fsmash is technically safer on shield than another smash attack that's often been deemed difficult to hard punish out of shield, wow!)

When it comes to aerials, *all* of his aerials except for Dair are capable of being somewhat safe on block if spaced/timed properly. the clean hitbox on Fair is +0 on shield drop and -7 on options used directly used oos, once again meaning it can be punished if spaced poorly but if spaced it should be safe on a decent chunk of the cast. the clean hitbox of Fair also has somewhat solid reward, doing a solid 11% a pop and actually having a few followups, including jab, grab, down tilt, dash attack, and even a second Fair depending on character and percent. On top of this, i'm going to need to test this out a bit more to remove any shadow of a doubt, but it seems like SH retreating Fair is somewhat safe on block *despite* the landing lag against a chunk of the cast (think slow characters and characters with poor traction, although some surprising results from faster characters are making me interested in testing a bit more). Weak Fair honestly isn't too terrible either, being -3 on shield drop and -10 on oos. As for nair, at the very least the first hit has the same safety on block as jab 1 when spaced and timed optimally (-1 shield drop, -8 oos), and all hits of Nair have some pretty solid reward on hit. the landing hitbox of Bair has identical shield safety to G&W's weak Fair, (-3 on shield drop, -10 oos) while also being capable of being spaced in a similar way. Just like Fair and Nair, the landing hitbox of Bair has pretty nice reward on hit as well, being capable of comboing into more Bair, Fair, Uair, Nair, or even Side B if you really want to try it at low percentages. Both hits of Uair are actually frame positive on shield drop, being +1 and +2 respectively, however, i'm skeptical on the ability to space it effectively though due to the hitbox placement, need to test that a bit more, for the record, both hits of Uair have some pretty good reward on hit as well, with the first hit of Uair having pretty much identical combo potential to the first hit of Nair on hit and the second hit also having combo potential at low percentages while also being a KO option at higher ones, however, i usually don't use it too much due to what i said before about being skeptical about the spacing as well as not wanting to stale Toot Toot too much.

On top of the actual frame data, there's also the issue of crossups to take into account. Due to the nature of some of his aerials, G&W is capable of crossing up shields rather easily while also remaining somewhat ambiguous about which side of the opponent he's going to land on (Nair and Bair are particularly good at this from my experience). So aside from his safety on block honestly not being that bad if you know how to go about it, the opponent will also have to guess which side G&W is actually going to land on when attempting to punish him oos in a lot of cases unless they have an option that can cover both sides with exceptional speed. Not just is this good for avoiding punishes, but it's also good for tacking on damage in a lot of cases, because if the opponent guesses wrong about whether you're going to cross them up or not, punishing their attempt to punish the move is certainly possible (as a non G&W example, think about Mr.R's usage of Bair).

So yeah, TL;DR while i don't think G&W's safety on shield is great, it's not as bad as many people make it out to be as long as you space well instead of running into the opponent head on, and hopefully this post lets people know that that's the case x_x. Sorry if i came across as a little bit abrasive as well.

As for footstool combos, he does have one that's been known about for a while, and that's Dthrow--->Footstool---->weak Fair at low percentages on a certain amount of the cast. Something else to note is that pulling out the bucket cancels all vertical momentum from the footstool, although i'm not sure if any footstool combos can really come out of that considering how laggy it is (although it DOES give G&W enough of a frame advantage to effectively tech chase opponents if the opponent is close enough to the ground when they get footstooled! i'm not the one who discovered this, credit to mickey from the G&W discord for that, and i'm not sure if it's practical but it's a thing i guess).

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
When will this myth die.

I'm sorry, but i see people say this about G&W a lot, when it's honestly not completely true, the character actually has significantly more options that can be safe on block then people suggest as long as you're spacing properly.

Outside of Usmash (which is extremely safe on block, +4 on shield drop is no joke). Jab 1 is another grounded option that is fairly safe if spaced properly, only being -8 on OOS and -1 on shield drop, this means that it can be shieldgrabbed, yes, but that's only possible if you space it extremely poorly or the character in question has a huge grab range, if you space jab 1 properly, it should be pretty safe against the majority of the cast if spaced, and certain characters with slow oos options (for example say, lucas, even his fastest option isn't fast enough to get a guaranteed punish on G&W's jab oos afaik) don't have an offensive answer to it at all. Jab 1 has some pretty good reward too, as the rapid jab itself has pretty good damage output (although i wish jab 1 linked into the rapid jab a little more effectively) and it has viable mixups out of it such as grab, dtilt, and dash attack. On top of this, Jab 1's extremely fast FAF makes it pretty difficult to whiff punish as well. The Sweetspot of Fsmash can also be seen as somewhat safe if spaced to an extent due to the amount of shieldstun and shield pushback it causes as well (and even the sourspot has the same damage output as Mario's Usmash while G&W's Fsmash actually has less cooldown, meaning that even the sourspot of G&W's Fsmash is technically safer on shield than another smash attack that's often been deemed difficult to hard punish out of shield, wow!)

When it comes to aerials, *all* of his aerials except for Dair are capable of being somewhat safe on block if spaced/timed properly. the clean hitbox on Fair is +0 on shield drop and -7 on options used directly used oos, once again meaning it can be punished if spaced poorly but if spaced properly it should be safe on a decent chunk of the cast. the clean hitbox of Fair also has somewhat solid reward, doing a solid 11% a pop and actually having a few followups, including jab, grab, down tilt, dash attack, and even a second Fair depending on character and percent. On top of this, i'm going to need to test this out a bit more to remove any shadow of a doubt, but it seems like SH retreating Fair is somewhat safe on block *despite* the landing lag against a chunk of the cast (think slow characters and characters with poor traction, although some surprising results from faster characters are making me interested in testing a bit more). Weak Fair honestly isn't too terrible either, being -3 on shield drop and -10 on oos. As for nair, at the very least the first hit has the same safety on block as jab 1 when spaced and timed optimally (-1 shield drop, -8 oos), and all hits of Nair have some pretty solid reward on hit. the landing hitbox of Bair has identical shield safety to G&W's weak Fair, (-3 on shield drop, -10 oos) while also being capable of being spaced in a similar way. Just like Fair and Nair, the landing hitbox of Bair has pretty nice reward on hit as well, being capable of comboing into more Bair, Fair, Uair, Nair, or even Side B if you really want to try it at low percentages. Both hits of Uair are actually frame positive on shield drop, being +1 and +2 respectively, however, i'm skeptical on the ability to space it effectively though due to the hitbox placement, need to test that a bit more, for the record, both hits of Uair have some pretty good reward on hit as well, with the first hit of Uair having pretty much identical combo potential to the first hit of Nair on hit and the second hit also having combo potential at low percentages while also being a KO option at higher ones, however, i usually don't use it too much due to what i said before about being skeptical about the spacing as well as not wanting to stale Toot Toot too much.

On top of the actual frame data, there's also the issue of crossups to take into account. Due to the nature of some of his aerials, G&W is capable of crossing up shields rather easily while also remaining somewhat ambiguous about which side of the opponent he's going to land on (Nair and Bair are particularly good at this from my experience). So aside from his safety on block honestly not being that bad if you know how to go about it, the opponent will also have to guess which side G&W is actually going to land on when attempting to punish him oos in a lot of cases unless they have an option that can cover both sides with exceptional speed. Not just is this good for avoiding punishes, but it's also good for tacking on damage in a lot of cases, because if the opponent guesses wrong about whether you're going to cross them up or not, punishing their attempt to punish the move is certainly possible (as a non G&W example, think about Mr.R's usage of Bair).

So yeah, TL;DR while i don't think G&W's safety on shield is great, it's not as bad as many people make it out to be as long as you space properly instead of running into the opponent head on, and hopefully this post lets people know that that's the case x_x. Sorry if i came across as a little bit abrasive as well.

As for footstool combos, he does have one that's been known about for a while, and that's Dthrow--->Footstool---->weak Fair at low percentages on a certain amount of the cast. Something else to note is that pulling out the bucket cancels all vertical momentum from the footstool, although i'm not sure if any footstool combos can really come out of that considering how laggy it is (although it DOES give G&W enough of a frame advantage to effectively tech chase opponents if the opponent is close enough to the ground when they get footstooled! i'm not the one who discovered this, credit to mickey from the G&W discord for that, and i'm not sure if it's practical but it's a thing i guess).
If you're going by this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C1hmd4FoDdt3LwWCwuRMNNqVb8uJQL_g0KWgl4IOjXQ/htmlview#

Keep in mind this only takes into account shield safety when an aerial lands on shield at the exact safe frame the character lands. Meaning, G&W's fair is only safe when you manage to hit a shield with it and land on the exact same frame which is neither practical nor easy to set up given G&W's fall speed. This also makes uair incredibly hard to space reliably on shield as well given that you have to be inside of your opponenent for uair to hit shield (drifting that close with no hitbox in front is gonna get you fsmashed).

@KuroganeHammer has a better, more updated calculator for shield safety anyway
http://rubendal.github.io/Sm4sh-Calculator/index.html

As for Nair, I'm getting -11 on shield here.

As for cross ups, you're right that game and watch has the mobility to do so, but it's pretty easy to punish game and watch no matter what side he lands on with Nair/Bair. The game and watch would have to space them in a predictable manner (he has to jump far into you if he's going for a cross up due to bad air acceleration) and the multi hit nature of the moves gives the opponent plenty of time to observe where G&W will land. Also, he doesn't have the landing lag to do so safely like shiek with her bair.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So, what's up with ROB anyone? I never hear a peep of discussion for the robot. I hardly know what people truely think of him I comparison to the tier list. Is his keep away good enough to be sufficient, or can it all be powershielded? (By this I mean laser + gyro stuff). Do we just accept ROB as an upper mid due to a good kill confirm? (D throw to up air of course).

I can see him slipping to lower mid in the future around where Bowser is currently. His recovery is pretty slow and defenseless, his side B is a horrifyingly bad reflector, and his mobility is eh. His frame data isn't too nifty, I don't think he has any reliable kill moves ever since up throw got nerfed besides his kill confirm. All his moves bar fair and uair are sluggish and with pretty bad startup. His tilts are not great besides D tilt and his f tilt is awful. His tourney results are pretty quiet also. What moves of ROB have any 'wow' factor to them like M2s fair, witch time, etc.
(Closest I can think of his gyro followed by uair). And oh god, ROB vs a rush down with a reflector like Mewtwo or Fox...just hit his off buttob for those matchups.

I think Gyro is a very good move though and it is fairly easy to reacquire (Unless a certain Koopa child...) he can make a great wall with z drops and lasers if planned right. Even timing his gyro to throw on stage whilst the opponent recovers is non committal. Great for pressure and snip kills on more linear recoveries.

He is also heavy, as most are with a throw to aerial kill confirm...I dont think his mobility is up to par with DK's or Bowser's though.

ROB is also a fine choice for keeping CQC fighters at bay like Luigi, Ryu, etc.

Gee...the more i think about it the less faith i have in him. I don't think he is low tier though, just lower mid.

I only use him as a secondary rarely though. Someone correct this noob. I'm dumb unless it comes to Mewtwo or Luigi infom

Molk

Smash Cadet
If you're going by this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C1hmd4FoDdt3LwWCwuRMNNqVb8uJQL_g0KWgl4IOjXQ/htmlview#

Keep in mind this only takes into account shield safety when an aerial lands on shield at the exact safe frame the character lands.
Yes, i'm completely aware of this, sorry if it seemed like i wasn't x_x.

Meaning, G&W's fair is only safe when you manage to hit a shield with it and land on the exact same frame which is neither practical nor easy to set up given G&W's fall speed.
Honestly, it's easier than you'd think, although G&W has a low fall speed, he has some factors that make it easier for him to do so. Most importantly, he has an extremely low shorthop height, meaning that the total number of frames that it has isn't as high as you'd expect. According to Kuroganehammer, the total amount of time his raw shorthop takes is 36 frames, compare this other characters with low falling speeds, and you'll see that most of the others have a longer shorthop duration, often going up into the 40s in terms of frames, if you look at the rest of the cast, a good portion of them have a shorthop with a similar duration to G&W's shorthop, give or take a few frames. When you combine that surprisingly low shorthop duration with the ability to fastfall and G&W's great aerial weaving thanks to having a significantly higher aerial deceleration than any other character in the game as well as a high air speed to begin with and it's honestly not that hard to space the clean hitbox at all. This applies to the rest of the aerials i mentioned as well, and Bair even has the landing hitbox that should have the same shield safety data regardless of timing as long as it connects. Also take into account what i also said about some testing i did showing that retreating SH Fair might be safer on block than the landing lag (which in all honestly isn't even that bad in terms of actual frames) lets on, at least against some of the cast.

This also makes uair incredibly hard to space reliably on shield as well given that you have to be inside of your opponenent for uair to hit shield (drifting that close with no hitbox in front is gonna get you fsmashed).
Yeah, i was a little bit eh on mentioning Uair due to the hitbox size, mentioned that in the post.

As for Nair, I'm getting -11 on shield here.
This is impossible, for G&W's Nair to be -11 on shield it would have to have exactly one frame of shieldstun. According to Kuroganehammer's calculator, Nair has 4 frames of shieldstun (all hits), considering that and the fact that G&W's Nair only has 12 frames of landing lag (again, honestly not a terrible amount), and -8 is correct, unless i'm missing something. Something else to note with Nair is that it has multiple hitboxes as well (although each hitbox only lasts for one frame for some reason, which is inconvienent), meaning that landing with the proper timing isn't as hard as you'd think.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure what happened is that the calculator used the FAF of G&W's Nair in the air instead of the landing lag he gets on the ground when you did the calculation.

As for cross ups, you're right that game and watch has the mobility to do so, but it's pretty easy to punish game and watch no matter what side he lands on with Nair/Bair. The game and watch would have to space them in a predictable manner (he has to jump far into you if he's going for a cross up due to bad air acceleration)
Air acceleration is one factor, but as i mentioned before, aerial deceleration is another factor, and G&W has *tons* of it compared to the rest of the cast, which makes his aerial weaving significantly better than his poor aerial acceleration would let on, and from my experience, makes it much easier to make my crossups unpredictable than the air acceleration suggests.

and the multi hit nature of the moves gives the opponent plenty of time to observe where G&W will land. Also, he doesn't have the landing lag to do so safely like shiek with her bair.
G&W's Nair and Sheik's Bair have literally identical amounts of landing lag (although sheik's bair does more shieldstun which makes a bit of a difference), Sheik is capable of autocancelling her bair out of a shorthop, but the autocancel window on it is really strict (her shorthop is 32 frames, autocancel window is 31> on Kuroganehammer's page) taking into account that, hard landing lag which a character is still forced into when autocancelling an aerial, and the fact that she can't act before hitting the ground after going for a SH bair (too much cooldown, she lands before she can act out of Bair), and i'm pretty sure there's more of a window to punish her when she autocancels the Bair compared to when she doesn't. (if i'm doing this correctly there would be ~16 frames until sheik hit the ground after the hitbox on bair ended, then add on the hard landing lag and that would be ~20, if she fastfalls it she's likely to induce the landing lag anyway due to the really strict autocancel timing, for comparison, Bair has 12 frames of landing lag. This also means that Sheik's Bair and G&W's Nair have a pretty similar window (not identical because Sheik's bair does 2 more frames of shieldstun) for punishing incorrect options when they cross up a shield.

By the way, something else to mention about G&W's approach options is the nifty little A-landing mixup he has on his Bair, if he uses Bair and lands at any time before frame 10, the Bair will autocancel and no hitbox will come out. Why is this cool? Because the animation for the turtle still comes out during these frames, even if you A-land it, This gives G&W a deadly mixup of making the opponent think he's going to try and SH bair, complete with an animation that would imply it, only for them to end up getting hit by something else instead. Basically an empty hop with a deceptive animation that tricks the opponent into thinking you're attacking, other characters have similar things as well.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
GaW has really really good air accel iirc EDIT: his decel is amazing, his accel is bad. My mistake. Still, he weaves decently. And he slides upon landing. Bair is pretty damn safe.

He is also really hard to edgeguard, while his up B tacks on damage from strings quite well.

Dair is one of the best stall n falls there is. And him having a grab confirm, even if the range is small, is always good in this game. Especially when the same grab is great for damage racking. And he forces shield well, with his burst range DA.

As far as frame perfect landings, i thiiiink SHAD fair gets you close, but i gotta lab that out. But bair is decently easy since it has a lingering hitbox.

FH aerials get nice coverage with fishbowl. GaW landing in front of you has a handful of mixups, since he has dair, nair,and empty landing into his good grab.

His edgeguarding is also kinda scary. Dair is moderately disjointed and easy to dive into your recovery, fair kills you outright, bair can trade and drop you like most multihits and has the advantage of being very disjointed, and if he is below you up B can stage spike and its very unlikely youll contest it successfully.

I think GaW is a sleeper high tier personally, but i need to see more high level gameplay to really confirm or deny.

Y Yonder

I can talk about ROB from MM's perspective. Once you learn to avoid the gyro ledge traps and DI the uair (odd move, gotta switch your di mid move) he isnt that scary. He struggles to escape juggles; uair in particular he cant contest at all. Z drop blades tear him up badly. His recovery is a sitting duck to bair and dair, so id guess anyone with moderate edgeguarding can lay on the pain.

But yea, dair and nair being bad for landing + mediocre recovery + huge hitbox makes his disadvantage pretty bad. Much like DK, his grab combo keeps him relevant, but i cant see him climbing the tier list unless some cool techs are found. (That said, his setup throws, items, and tilts scream footstool abuse to me, especially if he can end it with a gyro setup or z drop i bet he can kill off a lock well... idk)

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
GaW has really really good air accel iirc. And he slides upon landing. Bair is pretty damn safe.
His air acceleration is terrible, only better than Ryu and Mac. G&W has the best deceleration in the game so he can weave around in the air well.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/AirAcceleration

I have trouble seeing G&W as anything higher than a low mid tier at best. I think if you're really good at baiting and punishing he can be scary but the same can be said for Ganon. :/

Edit, how do Luigi, Diddy and Lucario have 0 for deceleration? Can they simply not turn in the air, wth?
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/AirDeceleration

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
That said, his setup throws, items, and tilts scream footstool abuse to me, especially if he can end it with a gyro setup or z drop i bet he can kill off a lock well... idk)
OCEAN recently started pulling off footstool combos in tournament himself.
One of his combos was recently featured in the EMG highlight vid. http://youtu.be/nRfIsUl73Eg around 2mins in.
Im pretty sure ROB can do something with dtilt to lock people.

Actually quite a few people have started using footstool OoS options now. Though they are just scratching the surface, I'm really excited to see what people can do with it, Kamemushi has certainly made a strong case about megaman's,

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Something Ness has over Lucas that i dont see mentioned is his nair. It is quick, powerful, decently ranged... but most of all, it forces a tech. If you miss, jab lock to fsmash is absurdly, absurdly powerful. Like, nair hits at 30 and youre dead powerful. Do NOT let Ness have smashville.

Also, dsmash is better at the ledge than Lucas's IMO; trading power for consistency is always worth it at the ledge, if the consistent move still packs a decent punch.

And pkthunder is actually an amazing extension of a juggle game. Lots of characters really dont have anything against it and take guaranteed damage until they close the gap.

Still, besides a few moves, it seems Lucas has a better version of Ness's moveset.

Perhaps im biased, but it also seems like ness counterplay is relatively trivial compared to Lucas counterplay. Ness really cant close in on certain characters, where Lucas forces the approach in every MU except maybe shiek and Cloud?

How does each do Vs sonic? I cant see ness doing well at all, but i know nothing of the lucas v sonic mu. Luco Luco ?
Playing at DIAD2 atm (go check it out on twitch.tv/perthsmash guys!) so I'll have to give this a bigger response later but most Lucas players think we lose the MU. Tbh I think it's even (with a long set of exp vs Killy), if Lucas gets a lead he can just play really defensively and Dair is secretly really usable in this MU. But Taiheta is the better Lucas, and Komo would be the better Sonic (SORRY KILLY) so might be better to defer to their judgement.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Umebura 25:

Keitaro drowned in pools, NAKAT lost to Ke-ya and Earth for 17th, VoiD lost to Abadango and Kirihara for 4th. CLG not in top 3.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
1st Kamemushi :4megaman::substitute:
2nd Abadango :4mewtwo::substitute:
3rd Kirihara :rosalina:
4th VoiD :4sheik:
5th Umeki :4peach:
5th taranito :4ness::substitute:
7th Nietono :4diddy::substitute:
7th Shogun :4fox:
9th KEN :4sonic:
9th Keya :substitute:
9th Brood :4duckhunt:
9th Earth :4pit::substitute:
13th Jill :substitute:
13th Some :4greninja:
13th Lea :substitute:
13th Gakuto :4ness:

:059:

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord

KEN had to face Kameme to get top 8 winners, and it was actually pretty close. I really wish KEN traveled more. Kirihara played amazingly. Also, tfw 2 Ness's and a Fox out place Nakat

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Placings are borderline meaningless at japanese tournaments. It's all up to who you have to play against.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Worth mentioning: Masha(the best brawl falco in the world), got 17th as solo shulk in his first offline smash 4 tournament (according to reddit anyway). It wont go on Das Koopas data, but its an accomplishment worth mentioning since he did hold his own against kirihara in losers who barely eliminated him.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Thanks for mentioning that. Guys, check out that bracket for other killer matches, SHI-G uploads a lot of their VODs even if they happen offstream. If there are other notable events like Masha's placing that might not be obvious at a glance of the bracket, post them please! (Directed at everyone).

Also, if anyone was watching early, Void did a great job of showing why Falco is bottom 5.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

At least on stream, Keya used both Corrin and Robin, and IIRC Jill is a Fox and Lea is a Greninja.

EDIT:
Might be worth mentioning that Some, Nietono, Jill and Kirihara all had at least 5 victories in the losers bracket.
:196:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

valakmtnsmash4 valakmtnsmash4 had previously mentioned this, but it's worth nothing that a Shulk by the name of Masha got 17th at this Umebura (he got barely eliminated by Kirihara), you mentioned him before when he got a high placing at a wifi tourney before. Now that he's finally going to offline tournaments I'm curious as to how far he'll take Shulk.

Scarhi, a French Shulk main is also currently in top 64 winners at Syndicate 2016 (320 entrants). Pretty curious as to see how far he will place, considering he got 7th at Neokan Party and 17th at Neokan Party 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
r/smashbros Voted Diddy Kong Match Up Chart
http://imgur.com/Y514h0c
A voted list? From Reddit?
Those two things don't exactly go together very well, and honestly it kinda shows.
I know Diddy is solid but I'm not even sure if he goes 60:40 against all of those people, especially Lucina and Roy, and I saw people kind of agreeing Mario won this MU?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Still, besides a few moves, it seems Lucas has a better version of Ness's moveset
It's not a few moves. Lucas does not have many moves that are objectively better than Ness's. And besides, their movesets are pretty different.

D

Deleted member

Those two things don't exactly go together very well, and honestly it kinda shows.
I know Diddy is solid but I'm not even sure if he goes 60:40 against all of those people, especially Lucina and Roy, and I saw people kind of agreeing Mario won this MU?
Diddy is regularly considered to be a **** matchup for both Marthcina and Roy, so I don't know why you're surprised. Most swordies are pretty scared of Diddy.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Diddy is regularly considered to be a **** matchup for both Marthcina and Roy, so I don't know why you're surprised. Most swordies are pretty scared of Diddy.
Not 60:40 bad in my opínion, much less 60:40 for both of them and 55:45 for Marth as all these tier lists show.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The Diddy / Mario MU is really close and maybe Mario has a tiny advantage. So it depends on if you feel that advantage is big enough to varant a +1, or leave if as an even MU where Mario might have a small edge. I would agree with both.

Maybe I'm just saying this because fast character privilege, but I really see no reason to not wait for him to land while staying out of range of his bair. When outside of bair range you can react to gordo and should also be outside of the range of Inhale, and if he lands then rolls he loses the stage. Holding shield is a bad idea because it lets him smack you for free. Just walk around and react to his landing option. The only one you can't react to is bair, which you have no reason to challenge with most characters anyway.

You don't have to actively try to punish every single move that's whiffed. Some whiffed moves, like Bowser Jr. Fsmash and DDD's bair, should just be left alone. The characters give you a million opportunities to punish 80% of their laggy *** kits so I have no idea why you'd get greedy and try to add another one.
From which characters perspective do you see it? Because I didn't really feel even Mewtwo would be fast enough to just "run under him to the other side safely while he's jumping around"... he could just fall down with a nair or bair or whatever. Sometimes I think I tried running through with a sh or fulljump uair, both of which were super unsafe since he was still hovering above me and could punish with a falling fair/bair. If you're seeing it from Fox' perspective I could see it not being that threatening, because of such a quick and fast run, quick vertical movement, a long lasting multihit fair and great uair, but even Fox has to be careful, which I just saw from the spanish D3 against Sodrek set at Syndicate, where the D3 honestly choked a little bit (sometimes he probably misclicked aerials and the edge regrabs that got him killed both games...).
Another factor is probably the stage choices. Smashville and Omega don't protect with a platform like BF would (though I didn't wanna try that stage, because of problems getting back onstage from the ledge or maybe even juggles. If he just places bouncing Gordos somewhere he can cover a lot of space while "juggling" / not letting someone onstage back from the ledge).

Being outside of bair range is basically "get cornered at the edge" or run under him to the other side (which I covered above), which I wouldn't really want to be, cuz I'd even have to shield for safety which has obvious flaws. I tried jumping up and catch him sometimes but got punished way too often because of him always moving back a little when I was near enough or just bair moving away his hurtbox while initiating it to avoid my attacks.

I know you can't punish every move, lol. That wasn't even what I was doing. I didn't get punished trying to punish his bair, I got punished by bair while trying to hit him or evading his attacks. And if I don't try to punish him while he's threatening me by jumping around or while he's landing I can't really do much while he's getting a lot of chances to get hits in. It's also hard to close in on Dedede because he always has a Gordo bouncing around and has a great shieldgrab (which sets up for combos at low %), a super fast dtilt that moves him and knocks you far away and a jab that outranges a lot and can KO.
So basically no matter what he does it seems like he's cornering you since he's outranging most characters on the ground and is scary in the air (hard to hit, super strong options, pretty safe, while practically being a bait which punishes you super hard if you ever try to come near him).

Believe me I tried playing patient and camping him out it just didn't work too well, because you have to stop when he's hovering around near you while threatening with bairs / inhales / Gordos / stuff. It did work well with Diddy, though, because of his quick options and nice angle on the peanuts. He can even cancel a peanut charge if the timing would be incorrect. Diddy also doesn't care too much if D3s floating above him because he can utoss a banana that covers somewhat safely while being able to jump up with uairs. Sh/fj fairs can hit him easily if he's on the ground or near it. Like I said, it worked well with Diddy, but not every character has these options and with Luigi / Mewtwo I had troubles. From online experience it worked the best with those two actually, because of Mewtwos dj raising bair / camping being able to "counter" D3s hovering above you, while Luigi can also threaten with some combos and downB or bair, while having Fireballs cover him somewhat against Gordos. It's really just not as easy as it might sound, lol. Definitely felt like ~even MUs to me. While it felt more like +2 with Diddy, but can still be scary sometimes.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

Lea uses :4greninja:. I have no idea who Jill or Keya use, though.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
VoiD lost to Abadango and Kirihara
Results show Mewtwo is quite a bad match-up for Sheik.

Also, what do you guys think about Rosalina and Luma? They can get rage easier against Sheik than with most characters. And Sheik's options to knock Luma aren't too safe.

Megamang

Smash Lord
On paper, it seems like rosa should never be able to recover if she is offstage. Needles are a decent answer to luma and GP since there is a charge or throw mixup going.

This is another MU that was dumb when shiek had a huge fair, but is probably much more complex now.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I get that it's reddit but that Diddy MU chart isn't all that bad tbh.

But Lucario definitely doesn't lose to Diddy 40:60. It's at worst 45:55

Two Ninja's in top 16? Nice . . .

:150:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Sheik beats Rosa if your fair spacing is "on" that day and you don't get nervous in disadvantage. Sheik should never get roofied at 40 or Luma dair'd on the side at 60.
The MU is a lot of playing differently. Rosa can't really get off the ledge vs us, and she has no answers to perfectly spaced Fair on Luma aside from reading our bad jump ins with rage Usmash.
Bthrow Fsmash/instant DA, Fthrow ftilt fair strings, dash attack, vanish at edge, and any move after doing needle damage to luma can knock it away. Rosa doesn't really have the speed to stop Sheik once a fair string on Luma gets started.
Sheik wins in every gamestate but gets blown up much much harder for mistakes than Rosa does. But it's Sheik, so that's nothing new.
Rage makes it no worse than 55:45 Sheik.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom