• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Also, what else are you saying by calling placing Lucario in a tier list "pointless"?
a bair trade during neutral spacing that kills at 40 is completely random.
just like a diddy throwing out dtilts when you hit 120 is random.

and it's pointless because the mu is that volatile.
if it's not a very very good or very very bad matchup for lucario, placing it with numbers is pointless.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Frostbite 2017 (342 Entrants) (Michigan)

1st: ZeRo :4diddy: :4falcon:
2nd: Tsu- :4lucario: :4ryu:
3rd: Nairo :4zss:
4th: Dabuz :rosalina: :4olimar:
5th: Salem :4bayonetta2:
5th: Shuton :4olimar:
7th: ANTi Sucks l Zinoto :4diddy:
7th: Ally :4mario:
9th: VoiD :4sheik:
9th: Some :4greninja:
9th: Mr. E :4marth:
9th: Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik:
13th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Deathorse :4mewtwo:
13th: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:
13th: Kirihara :rosalina:

17th: Smasher1001 :4megaman: :4mario:
17th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4metaknight:
17th: Seagull Joe :4sonic:
17th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: :4wiifit:
17th: Ned :4cloud2:
17th: KEN :4sonic:
17th: Ryuga :4corrinf:
17th: Komorikiri :4cloud2:
25th: Blacktwins :4cloud2: :4mario: :4fox:
25th: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
25th: Myran :4olimar:
25th: DarkAura :4greninja:
25th: Black Yoshi :4bayonetta2:
25th: MVD :4diddy:
25th: NAKAT :4fox:
25th: Fatality :4falcon:

UBC Cup 2017 (54 Entrants) (British Columbia)

1st: Big D :4mario: (Possibly :4falcon: :4dedede: )
2nd: Locus :4ryu:
3rd: Captain L :4pikachu:
4th: FoCus :4sheik: :4cloud2: ( Possibly :4rob: )

On the topic of Lucario, it probably helps him that the top 3 (And to a lesser extent, most of the top 10) are excellent damage rackers with poor kill options. If the top 3 was, say, :4bowser: :4lucas: :4robinf:, I doubt we'd be having this discussion.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
On the topic of Lucario, it probably helps him that the top 3 (And to a lesser extent, most of the top 10) are excellent damage rackers with poor kill options. If the top 3 was, say, :4bowser: :4lucas: :4robinf:, I doubt we'd be having this discussion.
Dath actually doesn't like the Lucario MU.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Lucario's one of those characters where the character counterpick really does matter. Don't want to constantly win neutral and be in proximity of Luc nukes? Get a disjointed damage racker out there and keep him out, or use a grappler and win neutral 3 times instead.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
i really enjoy fighting lucario, myself.
it's a rush.
makes you play perfectly or risk getting blown up for your mistakes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
7th: ANTi Sucks l Zinoto :4diddy:
I will never get tired of this.

Lucario's one of those characters where the character counterpick really does matter. Don't want to constantly win neutral and be in proximity of Luc nukes? Get a disjointed damage racker out there and keep him out, or use a grappler and win neutral 3 times instead.
So you're saying...

:4lucario: loses to :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4marth::4link::4myfriends::4lucina:?

And similar characters?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
i really enjoy fighting lucario, myself.
it's a rush.
makes you play perfectly or risk getting blown up for your mistakes.
Dude, same.

Dath actually doesn't like the Lucario MU.
Many Robin players don't. Remember that Lucario is actually decently mobile. Many of the chars with real kill confirms also don't have the mobility to play Lucario like you need to.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think Lucario is too dangerous for mid tier when you have people like Tsu playing him the way he did, and he steamrolled bad MUs along the way. I also like to fight Lucario, it is a battle of who janks who first with Ness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I will never get tired of this.

So you're saying...

:4lucario: loses to :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4marth::4link::4myfriends::4lucina:?

And similar characters?
:4shulk:does reasonably well against Lucario as well. The MU is volatile, but most of Lucario's MUs swing that way.

Shulk's hitboxes/range outdo Lucario's and he's able to kill him off reasonably early with Smash Art when he gets him at a high enough percent then play keepaway/camp for the rest of the game when he has a stock lead. Shulk also tends to **** him at the ledge and can intercept his recovery well with proper timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Most top players already had Lucario as a top ~15 character since like a year or more because they experienced how broken he can get with full rage and aura. Great that he had some new refreshing success after having fallen off a little in results (he had great results for a while in Japan but that diminished since quite a while).

Do you have the list for the crouching diddy fair?
Yeah, here's Ninjalinks list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pi6DLnoWvMEtPJUMam-JtUHAKquMCfW207HQXdnEXjE/edit#gid=0

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think this was close enough to adequately demonstrate that Lucario is probably solo-viable if played as well as Tsu played him

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
It'll be interesting to see how top players adapt to Lucario; unlike for example a Megaman, who is reliant on footstool MB for early kills, Lucario oozes kill power out of every orifice.

I would have liked to see Tsu less on Battlefield, cause I think it gave Zero too many options to escape his landing pressure

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It'll be interesting to see how top players adapt to Lucario; unlike for example a Megaman, who is reliant on footstool MB for early kills, Lucario oozes kill power out of every orifice.

I would have liked to see Tsu less on Battlefield, cause I think it gave Zero too many options to escape his landing pressure
As soon as game 5 went to Battlefield, I was like "RIP." But it was ZeRo's counterpick for a reason.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Tsu was also catching a lot of monkey flips and in general getting fantastic reads on Zero the whole two sets. It's amazing how well he was using Lucario's full kit to his best ability, I'd say Lucario is solo viable based of the fact your never out of the game at any point.

I enjoy Lucario-Ness myself, Ness doesn't have to worry as much about Aura Sphere or Force Palm projectiles because magnet and Ness' high kill power prevents Lucario from using aura for long tho if your not spacing well you know what happens, lol.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So you're saying...

And similar characters?
Well, bear in mind that I didn't say Lucario "loses" to this archetype. Just that this kind of archetype will better serve to fend off Lucario than other characters who hope to get by on neutral attrition.

Imo, I think the way people fight Lucario right now is not as optimal as it could be. Lucario's not the fastest thing alive and doesn't have the fastfall required to make tomahawk and vertical pressure a ubiquitous feature of his neutral, aside from those Dair shenanigans, which needs him to be at near ground level. So, he needs aura to make his kit combative. By playing a passive aggressive game - push him around for 45%, take potshots until he's at 95%, completely play whiff punish with single hits until he dies - you get to set the tempo with when and how Lucario gets aura, and when you set tempo, you have greater control.

It's similar to fighting Bayonetta in that regard. Just as you don't over-exert yourself against Bayonetta in case she gets a sudden Witch Twist or Witch Time in and reverses everything, you don't keep going in and risk getting floored by Lucario's ever-increasing hitboxes and power.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Tsu was also catching a lot of monkey flips and in general getting fantastic reads on Zero the whole two sets. It's amazing how well he was using Lucario's full kit to his best ability, I'd say Lucario is solo viable based of the fact your never out of the game at any point.

I enjoy Lucario-Ness myself, Ness doesn't have to worry as much about Aura Sphere or Force Palm projectiles because magnet and Ness' high kill power prevents Lucario from using aura for long tho if your not spacing well you know what happens, lol.
Lucario and Bayonetta are probably the only MU buster characters left, Lucario more than Bayo (IMO). Any MU can be overcome because of aura's ability to seal a stock. Meta Knight used to be one.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Was there a lucas in the UBC tourney that you posted?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
My internet was down all night and when I come back I see Lucario in grands.

What is going on.

:150:

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Tsu was also catching a lot of monkey flips and in general getting fantastic reads on Zero the whole two sets.
This.
I tried counting how many times Tsu read the MF in and punished with a grap to uair string, and how many times he would get in, grab, and upairs. I lost count. Not to mention the two aura sphere reads he had.

Two other things I'd like to note:
Game 5 set 2 was as much of a last hit situation as possible. In addition, Tsu only lost one of the previous games because he messed up a b-reverse.
Second, even after getting spiked for it, Tsu continued to Extreme speed at ZeRo, and repeatedly got punished for it, and during the series of trades on i think game 5, died to a bair whiel coming in with ES. Which makes me wonder, why was he recovering so high even though he was repeatedly getting punished for it? Certainly not extra damage, as he only landed the hit a couple times and most times ZeRo shielded it or intercepted it.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Lord Dio Lord Dio Because he doesn't want to be on the ledge vs Zero. Why go on the ledge vs the best ledge traper in the world with a character that has poor Ledge options/disadvantage state when you can go for the stage, Take a smash/Grab combo and reset to neutral. Though there was some times where he shouldn't have done that.

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Lord Dio Lord Dio I don't have too much experience playing as Lucario myself, but ZeRo explained it in his interview. Said he kept using ExtremeSpeed onto the stage, because it's safe and he didn't want to risk the SD, since it's so hard to control at higher percents.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Ohhh, ok. That makes more sense.
Yeah I remember when I first started playing the game, I played Lucario and constantly SD'ed with extremespeed. Controlling it can be pretty rough....
But that definitely makes sense. Tsu awes me even more now. He went for the safe option knowing more often than not he'd get punished, did it, got punished, and still found his way back onstage. That man's play was amazing.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Most characters treat Bayonetta like hot lava.

Lucario is Bayonetta's hot lava.

I always wondered what use Lucario's high walk acceleration had, and Tsu showed it off. That pacing back and forth. That spacing.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Most characters treat Bayonetta like hot lava.

Lucario is Bayonetta's hot lava.

I always wondered what use Lucario's high walk acceleration had, and Tsu showed it off. That pacing back and forth. That spacing.
Nothing to do with Lucario, but in one of Shuton's matches D1 commented that he did "The Ally" in which you run/walk back and forth on place to get a grab or an Up Smash. I guess that any character with decent walk/run acceleration can pull it off with certain degree of success.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Maybe it would feel better if people envisioned Lucario as a true heavy while playing him. In a way like heavyweights he has problems (most heavyweights suffer frame data stuff, Lucario's is more range based you could say?) and so you wail on them all for a while and then suddenly they're at 150% rage (+aura) and you realise one stray 'x' will kill you. Lucario trades the immediate power of heavies for better maneuverability and safety / a projectile.

I dunno I guess it's not the best analogy but I feel like everyone's so busy calling rage mechanics busted yet to me there's *some* way an apt comparison could be made. Lucario might be the first truly viable character of this type to be top tier, personally I think that's freaking cool.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Somehow I feel like we'd have a different story if Nairo encountered Tsu earlier on in winners instead of Zero. ZSS pretty much lives to destroy the dreams of heavyweights without breaking a sweat.

In the earlier days Day would also get mollywhopped on a regular basis by Ryo's Ike. I think most characters with that can zone out Lucario and have reliable grab confirms beat him solidly.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So how did a Lucario player get 2nd at such a stacked tournament? How much of Tsu's success can we attribute to internal/external factors? (e.g. his in-game skill, character selection, the [NA] environment, tournament environment, bracket luck, etc.)

It's difficult to gauge the effect of skill when you're judging it alongside such a volatile, underrepresented character in an environment where the top players at the tournament have such limited experience against a player of Tsu's caliber. (who I'd argue is obviously more skilled at the game than any Western Lucarios- at least that much I hope is readily apparent)

However, it's no secret Tsu had dropped off a bit in Japan. Can we attribute that to increasing matchup knowledge in Japan? - to personal factors? I'd be interested in learning more about Tsu's practice habits/schedule and shifts in his personal player development. Where does one go to learn about information like that? Every time someone ridicules a player for making a vblog, a lonely kitten dies.

Is it just a matter of time before NA catches on or could this signify the beginning of a slight meta shift towards Lucario as a [slightly] more common pick? Does this remind anyone of Abadango's run at Pound2016? Dath at Shine2016? Does Anti suck?

I have a lot of questions and not many answers. :cool:

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
So how did a Lucario player get 2nd at such a stacked tournament? How much of Tsu's success can we attribute to internal/external factors? (e.g. his in-game skill, character selection, the [NA] environment, tournament environment, bracket luck, etc.)

It's difficult to gauge the effect of skill when you're judging it alongside such a volatile, underrepresented character in an environment where the top players at the tournament have such limited experience against a player of Tsu's caliber. (who I'd argue is obviously more skilled at the game than any Western Lucarios- at least that much I hope is readily apparent)

However, it's no secret Tsu had dropped off a bit in Japan. Can we attribute that to increasing matchup knowledge in Japan? - to personal factors? I'd be interested in learning more about Tsu's practice habits/schedule and shifts in his personal player development. Where does one go to learn about information like that? Every time someone ridicules a player for making a vblog, a lonely kitten dies.

Is it just a matter of time before NA catches on or could this signify the beginning of a slight meta shift towards Lucario as a [slightly] more common pick? Does this remind anyone of Abadango's run at Pound2016? Dath at Shine2016? Does Anti suck?

Tbh feels like a Ranai/Kameme thing here, NA will catch on eventually. Granted, Day and the other Lucarios play differently, but people will definitely start to catch on.
Just like it's been said we can't attribute the whole thing to the power of aura, I don't think we can chalk up all of it to Tsu being really really skilled. Most of it, sure, but not all of it.
I'd want to say mostly skill with a little bit of aura power, knowledge of Lucario's kit and setups (I don't think I've seen a set where Day uses Aura Sphere anywhere as much as Tsu does), NA players being inexperienced in the MU (or against a Lucario who plays like Tsu does), and a shred of bracket luck and good reads in some cases.
Nothing to do with Lucario, but in one of Shuton's matches D1 commented that he did "The Ally" in which you run/walk back and forth on place to get a grab or an Up Smash. I guess that any character with decent walk/run acceleration can pull it off with certain degree of success.
Indeed he did, just walked around for a second, waited for ally to come over, and f-smashed ally back to the other side.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

We also have to remember that Tsu did beat Shuton and Abadango at the local pre-Frostbite and Kameme here. And they're very familiar.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's cool a :4lucario:/:4ryu: did so well for a change but is it really such a surprise? They're both high tiers. Following :4bowser: and :4luigi:'s footsteps all the high tiers are practically waiting for a good player to pick them up for a good run.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
To all the people saying "stop overeating to one result", :4lucario:'s ability to turn MU's instantly in his favour is something that cannot be overlooked. It's less of people overreacting to a result, and more a player showing/proving what a character can do when played correctly to us all.

The aura mechanic is very dumb, I won't try and mask that. However, I will point out that Lucario's overall frame data is quite poor; his most powerful KO moves, such as Bair and his Smashes, are all very slow to start up and have a fair amount of lag after them. Smash 4 Lucario with some of his Brawl frame data would be really, REALLY dumb.

And we have to stop discrediting Tsu's performance and dismissing it because "Aura luck/jank". Yes, aura helps Lucario win games, but it takes a skilled player to utilise it, and Tsu played like a god yesterday. You can watch literally all of Tsu's top 8 run and see the skill; just look at all the times he was knocked off stage and battered about upon recovering (look at how many times he teched and recovered back to continue). Just look how amazing his DI was (these two points mean a LOT for allowing Lucario to perform at his best). More importantly, just look how well he managed to stay calm and play at the +130% he often needed to. Tsu was performing combos and getting in his damage in many ways that other Lucario players do not (I liked his use of throwing an Aura Sphere at the end of an aerial combo to get that extra damage). Tsu was pushing his character to the limit. Simply dismissing what he has done because "Aura is dumb" is very backwards in terms of development for the metagame.

Lucario has always had a steady stream of results overall; perhaps less common at top level, but worldwide and in all levels of play, Lucario pulls in a fair amount of results. This is why it doesn't surprise me to see a good result from Lucario at top level. It's not really a "freak result". A "freak result" would be a complete outlier with almost no results (:4jigglypuff:) doing what Lucario has done.

Whether Lucario is high tier, top tier, whether you don't like Lucario's design because it strays from the norm, whatever. We have to accept and respect the fact that Lucario can perform, as showcased by Tsu.

I personally don't mind the Aura mechanic much. Being KO'd at 40% is kind of dumb, again - I won't lie, but it's not something that's actually easy to pull off. Like most characters in this game, it's a mechanic that takes skill to utilise/abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom