• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's also worth pointing out that nearly all of the people that place well with Bayonetta are doing it without a pocket character. Whether it's Salem, Zack, JK, Pink, ikep, Aphro, 9B or Saj - they all run solo Bayonetta right now. The only player to score big points with her while using a side-character is Wonf with his Sonic. I don't know if anyboy else is doing that well without the help of any pocket character whatsoever. As a matter of fact I don't think I've even seen any of the aforementioned players using a secondary, nor do I know if they even have any ready at tournament level.

:059:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
It's also worth pointing out that nearly all of the people that place well with Bayonetta are doing it without a pocket character. Whether it's Salem, Zack, JK, Pink, ikep, Aphro, 9B or Saj - they all run solo Bayonetta right now. The only player to score big points with her while using a side-character is Wonf with his Sonic. I don't know if anyboy else is doing that well without the help of any pocket character whatsoever. As a matter of fact I don't think I've even seen any of the aforementioned players using a secondary, nor do I know if they even have any ready at tournament level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6r-i81oGfo
At some point Pink Fresh did have a Lucas, but that was ages ago. He probably doesn't now.

Megamang

Smash Lord
The idea of "shiek players say its about even" amuses me. I think if lucario was rampant in tournament, and shieks were sitting down and labbing the MU, I could buy it. Bayo seemed to be a real struggle, but then a grab 50/50 happened and its prepatch shiek (with a fair fair) all over for poor bayo.

Shiek is so damn option rich that she, if sufficient work is done, probably has something pretty damn deadly on your character. Lucario has some flaws, such as neutral and recovery... NUETRAL AND RECOVERY. That is calling out for shiek to totally slam you. Just looking at it from a spectator, what does he have vs ledge hang bair > bouncing fish you if you recover past?

Thats my ****ty idea.. imagine void and others working full time on it.

But they dont, because their time is spent with more relevant threats. So its kinda close, and they go "oof that feels even". and, if you were bettinf, maybe its even. but if i was betting, shiek probably has a locked down early kill on Lucario, and combined with needle camping and general walling defensive play, he probably struggles.

Of course, it is a little silly for me to allude to unfound options. But if you went even with Shiek, youd be pretty damn relevant. If you went even with prepatch shiek, youd probably beat her now. my 2c

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman

I remember Saj pulled out Peach against False at CEO. But that's the only other time I've seen it this summer. It's really just too difficult to switch over between the two.

Fenny

Smash Ace

Yeah this is true. Zack and Saj play Peach too but that's more of a 'should I wear my usual black leotard today or try something different with a pink dress?' kind of thing

Also please dont actually imagine Saj or Zack picking these out of their wardrobe for your own sake

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The idea of "shiek players say its about even" amuses me. I think if lucario was rampant in tournament, and shieks were sitting down and labbing the MU, I could buy it. Bayo seemed to be a real struggle, but then a grab 50/50 happened and its prepatch shiek (with a fair fair) all over for poor bayo.

Shiek is so damn option rich that she, if sufficient work is done, probably has something pretty damn deadly on your character. Lucario has some flaws, such as neutral and recovery... NUETRAL AND RECOVERY. That is calling out for shiek to totally slam you. Just looking at it from a spectator, what does he have vs ledge hang bair > bouncing fish you if you recover past?

Thats my ****ty idea.. imagine void and others working full time on it.

But they dont, because their time is spent with more relevant threats. So its kinda close, and they go "oof that feels even". and, if you were bettinf, maybe its even. but if i was betting, shiek probably has a locked down early kill on Lucario, and combined with needle camping and general walling defensive play, he probably struggles.

Of course, it is a little silly for me to allude to unfound options. But if you went even with Shiek, youd be pretty damn relevant. If you went even with prepatch shiek, youd probably beat her now. my 2c
Possibly. That part was only taking what the top Sheik's say. But to answer the recovery question - aura sphere, then Extremespeed, non-ledge snap Extremespeed, stall then Extremespeed, wall cling... I guess it depends on the specifics of the situation? Like, where is Lucario coming from? Does he have his double jump? Stage?

Fenny

Smash Ace
Salem also has a Lucina but he uses her rarely. He only pulls her out during doubles matches
This actually reminds me of Bayo's polarized effectiveness between singles and doubles

It's funny how some of her best attributes in singles make her not so great in doubles.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Add Rosa and Mewtwo to characters that blow up singles and suck in dubs. I actually understood the ridiculous hitboxes, health, and damage of Luma when I tried her in online FFA.

Speaking of, how is Bayo v Rosa? Bayos big hitboxes seem like a problem initially, but Luma seems like something Bayo might really struggle to surpass. What does she have really? Usually the cover all is Witch Twist, but Witch Twist catching just luma is a really free punish for Rosa. She also has disjointd to potentially edgeguard her, or just smash her in the face for trying to Abk off the ledge.

Was dabuz beating Salem due to his exteme skill, or is there something actually there?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Add Rosa and Mewtwo to characters that blow up singles and suck in dubs. I actually understood the ridiculous hitboxes, health, and damage of Luma when I tried her in online FFA.

Speaking of, how is Bayo v Rosa? Bayos big hitboxes seem like a problem initially, but Luma seems like something Bayo might really struggle to surpass. What does she have really? Usually the cover all is Witch Twist, but Witch Twist catching just luma is a really free punish for Rosa. She also has disjointd to potentially edgeguard her, or just smash her in the face for trying to Abk off the ledge.

Was dabuz beating Salem due to his exteme skill, or is there something actually there?
To add to this - Dabuz routinely says that no one plays the MU correctly (save for him, but he also has a Bayo secondary), so his dominance could also be vastly superior MU knowledge on top of the aforementioned skill.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think people think about Bat Within a little backwards. They see the technique avoid a strong follow up and go, "That should've hit!"

But here's the thing: Yes, Bat Within activates on frame 1, faster than any other dodge, but plenty of characters have frame 2 dodges. If you activate Bat Within on anything but Frame 1, it's the equivalent of whiffing a move on, say, Mewtwo.

And if Bayo air dodges and you don't attack, what does that mean? Well, she has the worst end lag on her dodges in the entire game. Mewtwo, in contrast, could probably squeeze another one out just for kicks.

What this means is that Bayonetta is more vulnerable to having her dodges read than any other character.

Now this doesn't mean that Bayonetta is an easy target to fool. Her combos and the threat of her retaliation makes baiting out air dodges a scary thing for the opponent. However, I believe it's less that her crazy burst mobility is less a bonus and more a necessity to prevent her from getting slammed because she's punished so much for bad dodges.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I remember Saj pulled out Peach against False at CEO. But that's the only other time I've seen it this summer. It's really just too difficult to switch over between the two.
Yeah this is true. Zack and Saj play Peach too but that's more of a 'should I wear my usual black leotard today or try something different with a pink dress?' kind of thing

Also please dont actually imagine Saj or Zack picking these out of their wardrobe for your own sake
That's why I used the qualifier "on tournament level" at the end of my statement. I'm sure that whatever character they play on the side is not comparable to dabuz' Olimar, Mr r's Cloud or Void's Fox.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

From my point of view Salem's conversions are wonderfully executed, but his neutral appears lacking compared to other top bayonettas. Not to mention, dabuz is a step ahead of nearly everyone when it comes to neutral play, in general.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
From my point of view Salem's conversions are wonderfully executed, but his neutral appears to lacking compared to other top bayonettas. Not to mention, dabuz is a step ahead of nearly everyone when it comes to neutral play, in general.
This.
and imo, Dabuz's neutral looks flawless and almost unbreakable unless he's playing against ZeRo. Who is, of course, the neutral king. Maaaybe....just maybe the "Bayo lackluster neutral" thing isn't a meme and you should be exploiting that.
In general, don't think players with both good neutrals and good SDI have too much trouble with Bayo.

Fenny

Smash Ace
From my point of view Salem's conversions are wonderfully executed, but his neutral appears to lacking compared to other top bayonettas. Not to mention, dabuz is a step ahead of nearly everyone when it comes to neutral play, in general.
Yeah, I believe this too. Salem's good at immediately capitalising on openings, but his inclination towards getting off his strong punishes leaves him more open to getting punished himself. Like Pink and Saj to name two don't use Heel Slide nearly as much as Salem, who has a bad habit of rolling right into shields.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Bayonetta's neutral is vastly underdeveloped.

The gap between Dabuz and Salem in neutral is much, much, much smaller than the gap between current Bayonetta neutral and perfect Bayonetta neutral.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Rosa has the tools to challenge bayo due to relevant disjoints, she keeps bayo out way better than sheik or diddy even. (Gets punished harder when she gets in and lumas gone though)

Not really a worthwhile discussion assuming other chars can keep her out even half as well while still generating worthwhile advantage.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Out of all the top Bayos Saj has the best neutral but he lacks the ridiculous clutch factor that the likes of say, Pink or Salem have. He's very unlikely to kill you out of nowhere unless he lands witch time, but he plays Neutral the best.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Luma max range jab is actually outside witch time range

I dont have the frame data to back me up, but I believe Bat Within essientially turns Bayonetta's spotdodge/airdodge/roll into the fastest FAF

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Perfect Bayonetta neutral isn't possible so I don't know what that statement is supposed to mean.
It doesn't matter that it isn't possible to reach the theoretical max. The higher the theoretical max is the better the character will eventually be in neutral.

If Sheik playing the neutral perfectly would score 100, and Yoshi playing the neutral perfectly would score 60,
then Sheik playing 80% perfectly would still be better than Yoshi playing 80% perfectly (80 vs. 48).

Bayonetta isn't playing anywhere close to optimally in neutral. I'm throwing out numbers here but she's probably about 30% at the moment whereas others are about 50%; she needs to be mixing up her grounded movement options, camping more, and using stepdash, because it benefits her a ton.

Additionally, Bayonetta is a character with limited meta development due to being the last-released DLC. Prior to 1.1.6, Bayonettas were also relying exclusively on her absurd advantage state and didn't have to develop a polished neutral, either.

I find that hard to believe.

I find that hard to believe.

Salem's not bad in neutral, to begin with. He wouldn't be winning tournaments if he were. He's not on the level of Dabuz, but the gap can't be that big.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
The biggest issue with Salem's neutral is that he sometimes applies too much pressure.

Salem does play the patient game, but at times he has a tendency to pursue approaches and options that aren't particularly safe or necessary. For example, he'll do some nice pressure and then land with a Witch Time or ABK up to nothing instead of doing Dive Kick. As Salem refines the safety of his neutral and pressure I think we will see even more out of him.

I also think Salem played really poorly against Dabuz. Rosa vs Bayo is supposed to be slow and patient. Salem was trying to force the issue with things that just kept getting punished and then juggled, not really using the right options -- it was uncharacteristic and blatantly improper matchup play. The time they played before Big House, Salem played a lot more patient and nearly beat Dabuz (game 5 situation). There were elements where Dabuz played the matchup well, but I think there was a major component of Salem playing wrong too.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
It doesn't matter that it isn't possible to reach the theoretical max. The higher the theoretical max is the better the character will eventually be in neutral.

If Sheik playing the neutral perfectly would score 100, and Yoshi playing the neutral perfectly would score 60,
then Sheik playing 80% perfectly would still be better than Yoshi playing 80% perfectly (80 vs. 48).
That's a slightly misleading example.

That 20% of 'imperfection' could mean much worse punishment for one character than the other, and the one punished more doesn't necessarily have to be the one with 'less potential'. As a super basic example, there are certain moves in this game which are safe on shield with zero effort - you can just throw it out and not have to worry at all. Yet still other moves might be safe on shield if and only if the player had pixel-perfect spacing, and heavily punishable otherwise.

And strictly speaking, a character's 'theoretical max' will always be 'never get hit, ever'.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think people think about Bat Within a little backwards. They see the technique avoid a strong follow up and go, "That should've hit!"

But here's the thing: Yes, Bat Within activates on frame 1, faster than any other dodge, but plenty of characters have frame 2 dodges. If you activate Bat Within on anything but Frame 1, it's the equivalent of whiffing a move on, say, Mewtwo.

And if Bayo air dodges and you don't attack, what does that mean? Well, she has the worst end lag on her dodges in the entire game. Mewtwo, in contrast, could probably squeeze another one out just for kicks.

What this means is that Bayonetta is more vulnerable to having her dodges read than any other character.

Now this doesn't mean that Bayonetta is an easy target to fool. Her combos and the threat of her retaliation makes baiting out air dodges a scary thing for the opponent. However, I believe it's less that her crazy burst mobility is less a bonus and more a necessity to prevent her from getting slammed because she's punished so much for bad dodges.
Mewtwo has the best air dodges in the game in terms of frame data but also because he can drift around while using them. He has a whole other ball game than most characters. If we put him aside, any time any airdodge is read it can be punished hard. Bayo having more endlag on hers isn't significant. She doesn't even have that much more lag, comparing Mac's AD (intangible 2-25, FAF 31) to Bayo's (Bat Within 1-4, intangible 5-27, FAF 37), She only has 4 frames more endlag. If you include bat within and intangibility, Bayo has 3 frames longer dodge duration than Mac (2nd best AD by Kurogane Hammer's list) too.

IIRC someone said Bayo gets a frame advantage from Bat Within (?). IMO Bayo's dodges are top tier, although not the very best.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Salem's not bad in neutral, to begin with. He wouldn't be winning tournaments if he were. He's not on the level of Dabuz, but the gap can't be that big.
Salem's not *bad* in neutral - no top level player is.

But dabuz is just a complete monster in neutral. He even manages to outdo Mr r's Sheik - whose neutral game I'd also put above Salem's. There are reasons why Zero is the only player left in the game who consistently beats dabuz at this point. One of the reasons is that his neutral game is on par, if not better. Another reason is that Diddy is one of the few [perhaps the only] characters in the game that can legitimately outlame Rosalina in neutral [contrary to what most people seem to believe I'm fairly convinced that Rosalina loses the matchup at that level].

Salem on the other hand? Gets blown apart 3-0 at TBH6. So where you say the gap "can't be that big" I say it certainly can. Even if you were right that the gap between Salem and dabuz' neutral game is smaller than the gap between current and ideal Bayonetta neutral you'd still be exaggerating by a lot. I remain unconvinced.

His probably does though

Although that might just be his more conservative approach
He simply doesn't have the placings to justify such a claim.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Mewtwo has the best air dodges in the game in terms of frame data but also because he can drift around while using them. He has a whole other ball game than most characters. If we put him aside, any time any airdodge is read it can be punished hard. Bayo having more endlag on hers isn't significant. She doesn't even have that much more lag, comparing Mac's AD (intangible 2-25, FAF 31) to Bayo's (Bat Within 1-4, intangible 5-27, FAF 37), She only has 4 frames more endlag. If you include bat within and intangibility, Bayo has 3 frames longer dodge duration than Mac (2nd best AD by Kurogane Hammer's list) too.

IIRC someone said Bayo gets a frame advantage from Bat Within (?). IMO Bayo's dodges are top tier, although not the very best.
Air dodge reads result in punishes pretty regularly, but those four extra frames that Bayo has to suffer through (not to mention landing lag if she does it too close to the ground or additional landing lag from specials) means the range of punishes available to the opponent open up significantly. Four frames might not sound like a lot, but it is. It's the difference between a decent tilt and a powerful smash attack. 3 frames is the difference between a Bowser grab and a Lucas grab.

This might seem contradictory of me when I talk about the first four frames of her air dodge (i.e. the Bat Within frames) without much reverence, but what I'm emphasizing is that Bayo's dodges are good at the beginning but bad at the end. This is what makes them more susceptible to getting read. Like a lot of her kit, it punishes those who are a little too trigger happy.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Out of all the top Bayos Saj has the best neutral but he lacks the ridiculous clutch factor that the likes of say, Pink or Salem have. He's very unlikely to kill you out of nowhere unless he lands witch time, but he plays Neutral the best.
Arguably, doesn't that make his neutral worse?

And on the note of Dabuz vs Salem - I honestly think it's because Dabuz plays a defensive character, and as a result he waits for the opponent to push buttons instead of the other way around. I think Bayonetta - especially a punish-heavy Bayonetta - thrives off of the exact opposite, which might be why Dabuz keeps saying that people are playing the MU wrong. And Bayonetta's neutral tools aren't that great, honestly. Her mobility isn't bad, but many of her commitments are more telegraphed and less safe than that of other top tiers. And Rosa is just... a wall.

That's my low-level analysis, anyways.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Weekend Results

1st: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Ally :4mario:
3rd: Mew2King :4cloud2:
4th: Javi :4cloud2:, :4sheik:
5th: Yoh :4sheik:
5th: DarkAura :4greninja:
7th: Chrim Foish :4diddy:
7th: Deathorse :4mewtwo:
9th: Lightwork :4villager:
9th: Iceninja :4palutena:, :4corrinf:
9th: San :4myfriends:
9th: Alphicans :4littlemac:
13th: Space :4fox:
13th: Poke :4luigi:
13th: Blacktwins :4mario:, :4cloud2:
13th: Infinity :4cloud2:

1st: VoiD :4sheik:
2nd: JK :4bayonetta:
3rd: Tyrant :4metaknight:
4th: Ito :4metaknight:
5th: Aarvark :4villager:
5th: Aphro :4bayonetta:
7th: Vash :4littlemac:
7th: Zenyou :4mario:
9th: EonWave :4fox:
9th: Tearbear :4falcon:
9th: Falln :rosalina:
9th: Zan :4tlink:
13th: Mr. ConCon :4luigi:
13th: TLTC :4palutena:
13th: Charliedaking :4fox:
13th: AC :4marth:, :4metaknight::4falco:

1st: Abadango :4mewtwo:, :4megaman:
2nd: KEN :4sonic:
3rd: Kamememushi :4sheik:, :4megaman:
4th: YOC :4corrinf:, :4cloud2:
5th: Ryougi :4pikachu:
5th: Shu :4bayonetta:, :4cloud2::4sheik:
7th: Yakara :4fox:, :4sheik:
7th: Tsu- :4lucario:
9th: Kept :4villager:
9th: Mao :4cloud2:
9th: Yoshiaki :4villager:
9th: Kisha :4bowser:, :4megaman:
13th: Nayu :4cloud2:
13th: Brood :4duckhunt:
13th: Nicorin :4link:
13th: Ke-ya :4corrinf:, :4robinf:

1st: KOSSismoss :4lucina:
2nd: BaSK 3xA :4tlink:
3rd: FuTure :4ness:, :4pikachu:
4th: Vermillion :4cloud2:
5th: Sean :4diddy:
5th: DSS :4metaknight:
7th: aGSa :4jigglypuff:
7th: Oblivion :4metaknight:
9th: Rice :4mario:
9th: Nova! :4fox:
9th: Hitaku :4mewtwo:
9th: C4 :4wario2:
13th: Athena :4robinf:
13th: Jehtt :4megaman:
13th: Gpik :4gaw:
13th: Cot(θ) :4megaman:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Weekend Results

1st: MKLeo ,
2nd: Ally
3rd: Mew2King
4th: Javi ,
5th: Yoh
5th: DarkAura
7th: Chrim Foish
7th: Deathorse
9th: Lightwork
9th: Iceninja ,
9th: San
9th: Alphicans
13th: Space
13th: Poke
13th: Blacktwins
13th: Infinity

1st: VoiD
2nd: JK
3rd: Tyrant
4th: Ito
5th: Aarvark
5th: Aphro
7th: Vash
7th: Zenyou
9th: EonWave
9th: Tearbear
9th: Falln
9th: Zan
13th: Mr. ConCon
13th: TLTC
13th: Charliedaking
13th: AC ,

1st: Abadango ,
2nd: KEN
3rd: Kamememushi ,
4th: YOC
5th: Ryougi
5th: Shu
7th: Yakara
7th: Tsu-
9th: Kept
9th: Mao
9th: Yoshiaki
9th: Kisha
13th: Nayu
13th: Brood
13th: Nicorin
13th: Ke-ya ,

1st: KOSSismoss :4lucina:
2nd: BaSK 3xA
3rd: FuTure :4ness:,
4th: Vermillion
5th: Sean
5th: DSS
7th: aGSa :4jigglypuff:
7th: Oblivion
9th: Rice
9th: Nova!
9th: Hitaku
9th: C4 :4wario2:
13th: Athena
13th: Jehtt
13th: Gpik :4gaw:
13th: Cot(θ)
:4cloud2: 10 in top 16, 6 in top 8
:4sheik: 6 in top 16, 6 in top 8 (100%)
:4metaknight: 5 in top 16, 4 in top 8
:4megaman: 5 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4fox: 5 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4mario: 4 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4villager: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4bayonetta2: 3 in top 16, 3 in top 8 (100%)
:4mewtwo: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4corrinf: 3 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4diddy: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4pikachu: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4marth: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4littlemac: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4tlink: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4luigi: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4palutena: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4robinf: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4greninja: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4sonic: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucario: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucina: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4ness: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4jigglypuff: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4myfriends: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4falcon: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:rosalina: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4falco: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4bowser: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4duckhunt: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4link: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4wario: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4gaw: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8

Total number of characters: 33 (Small by smash 4 standards, but let's marvel in the fact that Smash 4's small amount of characters in the top 16 is almost as big as brawl's entire roster. Out of a possible 32 top 8 spots, 21 different characters made top 8)
Best Character combination: :4megaman: + Anyone
Winners: :4megaman: :4metaknight: :4jigglypuff:
Losers: :rosalina: :4sonic: :4zss:
Little Mac is as inconsistent as ever, but he did manage to get a top 8 this week with less top 16s overall.
I feel like Jiggs's inconsistent yet existent results are enough to make her not the worst at this point.
Lastly, Sheik is the first character to have 100% of her top 16s be top 8s that's more than 4 placings, with a whopping 6.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 9.45.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 9.50.20 PM.png

Small week results-wise, but very interesting.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Did Abadango beat anyone w/ Megaman at TUS? The reddit summary post says he went only Mewtwo.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
:4cloud2: 10 in top 16, 6 in top 8
:4sheik: 6 in top 16, 6 in top 8 (100%)
:4metaknight: 5 in top 16, 4 in top 8
:4megaman: 5 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4fox: 5 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4mario: 4 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4villager: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4bayonetta2: 3 in top 16, 3 in top 8 (100%)
:4mewtwo: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4corrinf: 3 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4diddy: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4pikachu: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4marth: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4littlemac: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4tlink: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4luigi: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4palutena: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4robinf: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4greninja: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4sonic: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucario: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucina: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4ness: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4jigglypuff: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4myfriends: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4falcon: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:rosalina: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4falco: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4bowser: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4duckhunt: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4link: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4wario: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4gaw: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8

Total number of characters: 33 (Small by smash 4 standards, but let's marvel in the fact that Smash 4's small amount of characters in the top 16 is almost as big as brawl's entire roster. Out of a possible 32 top 8 spots, 21 different characters made top 8)
Best Character combination: :4megaman: + Anyone
Winners: :4megaman: :4metaknight: :4jigglypuff:
Losers: :rosalina: :4sonic: :4zss:
Little Mac is as inconsistent as ever, managing to get a top 8 this week with less top 16s overall.
Rosa Loses both Directly and Indirectly, both by having few top 16s and no top 8s this week and the surge of Meta Knights.
I feel like Jiggs's inconsistent yet existent results are enough to make her not the worst at this point.
Lastly, Sheik is the first character to have 100% of her top 16s be top 8s that's more than 4 placings, with a whopping 6.

Small week results-wise, but very interesting.
To be fair, there weren't as many Mac mains at tournies this time as there were the previous weeks. I won't argue the fact that little mac ATM is inconsistent (Which stems from his design, aka a glass cannon. I do believe that as players become more experienced with the character, they will eventually become consistent enough with him where his fluctuating results will stabilize.) Honestly though, from the amount of results he has been getting, I think it's fair to say that the character is not a low tier, and certainly not a bottom 10 or 15, as some would believe. Personally i think he's a mid tier, between 25-35 on the tier list, and i think his results show that.

I wish there was a stronger :4dk:player base. Besides DKwill, who is the only notable DK main that comes to mind, there really aren't any other DK mains who do work in larger events (larry rarely pulls him out now.)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
TDK TDK
Metaknight didn't play a huge role this weekend in Rosa's absence from top8s and top16s. Falln lost to Ito in losers, but that's it.

Sinister was the only Rosa player at Don't You Dair 4 pretty capable of making it to top 16, but didn't and he didn't even lose to an MK. He lost to ness/pikachu (idk which) and fox. And all the Rosa players Ito, Tyrant, and AC may possibly have beaten with MK at the 2GG tournament (aside from Falln) were likely just outskilled by a large enough margin in general that character choice didn't really matter.

Rosa's big hitters just didn't show up to play at tournaments large enough to be considered for Das Koopa's rankings. Maybe next week

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Sinister lost to FuTure's Pikachu, as per the VOD. Gonna assume he picked up Pika to cover the MU since life as Ness is hard

Dabuz was going to attend Olympus but apparently didn't for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I think we need an original topic of discussion on a character, so I want us all to talk about Link's (not-so-hidden) frame data that absolutely no one talks about for some reason, and that is his Bomb throws. Yes, his Bomb Throws, because they're actually scarier than we'd have originally thought.

Up Bomb Throw: Frame 11, FAF 21
Back Bomb Throw: Frame 9, FAF 21
Forward Bomb Throw: Frame 7, FAF 21

Now these three aren't exactly all that scary, outside of being able to act out of them pretty fast, but no, these aren't the scary ones. In fact, here's the really scary throws:

Down Bomb Throw: Frame 6, FAF 19
Dash Bomb Throw: Frame 4, FAF 19

Dash Bomb Throw, a Frame 4 attack that is FAF 19. An attack that is comparable in its speed to Diddy Kong's Down Tilt and what is basically Link's fastest attack. I acknowledge the fact that this can only happen with Bombs in your hand, but still, Link's got some scary frame data underneath that book cover of his. This all contributes to certain good Bomb Throw follow-ups that we see, but isn't talked about all that much, which is kind of disheartening. Link has two incredibly fast tosses and we've yet to touch up upon them and how they might be more relevant to the meta than we already know.

So let's not talk about anything Marth for the 100th time (I know it's going to happen sooner or later) and talk about something that is actually refreshing, even for frame data.

TL;DR If Link had an attack that's as fast as Diddy's D-Tilt, he has Dash Bomb Throw. The end.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
So let's not talk about anything Marth for the 100th time (I know it's going to happen sooner or later) and talk about something that is actually refreshing, even for frame data.
Perhaps we talk about Marth because you know, he's actually good/consistent and gets strong results, unlike other characters? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About this dash bomb throw, is there any real benefit of using it over a jump cancel throw (or glide toss, whatever the actual term is) though? Like, the endlag might be less, but a jump cancel throw will grant you extra distance, right? Surely the little slide you get will be more beneficial in most situations (creating openings for combos etc).

I don't know the frame data of Toon Link's throws like this, but if say, his standard bomb throw had a couple less frames start up or endlag, I'm pretty sure in most situations, the jump cancel throw would still be the far superior throw.

I get what you're saying though; if Link has a bomb in hand, a dash throw at close range might be handy in certain situations to allow him to beat a quick option of another character.

What's the first frame you can throw in a dash; is it frame 1? That would technically make the throw frame 5, wouldn't it (dash for 1 frame + frame 4 throw = frame 5 option)? That would still be Link's fastest ground option, though.

But hey, if we are talking about good/fast close quarters options... Marth has essentially a frame 1 move for close quarters combat; Dolphin Slash (it's frame 5, but aerial, has frame 1-5 intangibility, so it's basically a frame 1 combo breaker. Could be considered frame 4 on the ground, being still a frame 5 move but grounded intangibility is 4-5).

Isn't Marth fun to talk about? :joyful:

Actually, that brings me to another point - what other specials grant intangibility that essentially make them better in close quarters? I know Mario's Super Jump Punch does, for example (intangibility frames 3-6, hitbox starts on frame 5), but he does have Jab which is frame 2, and even in the air, Nair is also frame 3, so it's not quite as useful.

And by extension, which characters could noticabley benefit from something like this without being too strong? Like, if Link had a frame 3 intangible Up Special, that would be quite threatening considering it's grounded KO potential. Ganondorf, with something like this, would benefit quite a lot from it, potentially allowing him to escape certain combos or even counterattack, and boost his overall quite lacking OoS game a little.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wish there was a stronger :4dk:player base. Besides DKwill, who is the only notable DK main that comes to mind, there really aren't any other DK mains who do work in larger events (larry rarely pulls him out now.)
HIKARU does very well in Japan, and managed to get 33rd at EVO this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom