• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

While obviously GOML was the hypest thing around, there were a couple category 1 tournaments for Das Koopa Das Koopa list and here is one of them (the other isn't done yet)

Paradigm Shift (195 entrants)

1) ESAM :4pikachu:
2) Fatality :4falcon:
3) Kai :4sonic:
4) Puppeh :4sheik:
5) Stingers :4cloud2:
5) Xanos :4lucas:
7) Mekos :4lucas:
7) Sect :4metaknight:
9) Peabnut Bubber :4megaman:
9) Dandy Penguin :4duckhunt:
9) NickRiddle :4zss:
9) That Guy (idk)
13) Lazyboredom :4littlemac:
13) MoNrA :4villager:
13) Sova Unknown :4link:
13) Leaf FC (idk)
I see two Lucas'. I approve. :4lucas:

Mekos looks like he's jumping right in after starting to get into Smash 4. Hope this means more for the Lucas meta in the future. Nice win for ESAM and it's nice to see Dandy Penguin placing so high!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Mario is scary. I think it's absolute bull that he's earned a reputation for being an all around "honest" character. Mario is not at all honest, if we're defining honest as pit and falcon tier stuff. Mario has downright bonkers frame data, damage racking potential, smash attacks are amazing, and his gimps are top tier stuff. There is no way mario is lower than top 5 and I think he's definitely up there with :4sheik:,:4diddy:,:4cloud: as contenders for #1.

Does mario actually lose any matchups? Rosalina seems hard but it's obviously doable, and cloud is an easy rosa counterpick. He's supposed to lose to swords, but I don't buy it. His mobility is more than good enough for rushing down, and once he gets in, his combo ability just ****s all over swordies, who typically lack string beakers or get-off-me aerials. He goes even or beats Diddy, Fox, Sheik, Ryu. He destroys pikachu.

Why isn't mario a candidate for #1 again? Is it because of his supposedly bad range, which is almost completely mitigated by his aggressive rushdown potential and mobility? Is it because he has no kill confirms, despite having arguably the dumbest smash attacks and gimps in the game? Is it because of his results? I suppose he isn't doing as well right now as diddy, sheik, or cloud purely based on results. The thing is, I see diddy and cloud counterplay only getting stronger as people adapt to banana, learn to perfect shield and gimp better. I don't see how counterplay is going to make an invincible, frame fast upsmash, crazy strings, or godlike gimping tools any less terrifying.

This may be a stretch, but I think mario may end up being the best character in the game in the future.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Another tourney that went mostly undetected, was Invasion 5, a Connecticut monthly that happened yesterday, which was decently stacked for its size. Dabuz won both WF and GF in 5 game sets.

Invasion 5 (80 entrants)

1) Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar:
2) Marss :4zss:
3) Raptor :4yoshi:
4) LingLing :4peach:
5) Craftis :4sonic:
5) Mtn64 :4villager:
7) Waldo :4myfriends:
7) Fabled :4yoshi:?

Players such as ADHD and Angel Cortes did not make it to top 8.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
A couple other notes about Paradigm Shift

- The tourney was 3 stock
- This was ESAM's first victory in a tournament with 100+ entrants this year
- MoNrA, a player from the Dominican Republic (8th on their PR) that was in the area at the time of the tournament, finished a respectable 13th with his Villager
- Two Lucas' in top 8 tho?

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
It was a good tournament for a lot of characters- I think :4sheik::4zss: were relatively underwhelming and no Dabuz means no :rosalina:

Other relative losers: :4mewtwo::4bayonetta2:
Bayonetta's basically been wrecked a few days ago, so I'm not surprised.
Blue was the only notable Mewtwo to go to GOML, so I'm not surprised at that, either.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Another tourney that went mostly undetected, was Invasion 5, a Connecticut monthly that happened yesterday, which was decently stacked for its size. Dabuz won both WF and GF in 5 game sets.

Invasion 5 (80 entrants)

1) Dabuz :rosalina:
2) Marss :4zss:
3) Raptor :4yoshi:
4) LingLing :4peach:
5) Craftis :4sonic:
5) Mtn64 :4villager:
7) Waldo :4myfriends:
7) Fabled :4yoshi:?

Players such as ADHD and Angel Cortes did not make it to top 8.
Notably, Dabuz went Olimar for game 5 of winners finals and all (?) of grand finals. This begs the question, does ZSS still have a strong Rosalina matchup?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Mario is scary. I think it's absolute bull that he's earned a reputation for being an all around "honest" character. Mario is not at all honest, if we're defining honest as pit and falcon tier stuff. Mario has downright bonkers frame data, damage racking potential, smash attacks are amazing, and his gimps are top tier stuff. There is no way mario is lower than top 5 and I think he's definitely up there with :4sheik:,:4diddy:,:4cloud: as contenders for #1.

Does mario actually lose any matchups? Rosalina seems hard but it's obviously doable, and cloud is an easy rosa counterpick. He's supposed to lose to swords, but I don't buy it. His mobility is more than good enough for rushing down, and once he gets in, his combo ability just ****s all over swordies, who typically lack string beakers or get-off-me aerials. He goes even or beats Diddy, Fox, Sheik, Ryu. He destroys pikachu.

Why isn't mario a candidate for #1 again? Is it because of his supposedly bad range, which is almost completely mitigated by his aggressive rushdown potential and mobility? Is it because he has no kill confirms, despite having arguably the dumbest smash attacks and gimps in the game? Is it because of his results? I suppose he isn't doing as well right now as diddy, sheik, or cloud purely based on results. The thing is, I see diddy and cloud counterplay only getting stronger as people adapt to banana, learn to perfect shield and gimp better. I don't see how counterplay is going to make an invincible, frame fast upsmash, crazy strings, or godlike gimping tools any less terrifying.

This may be a stretch, but I think mario may end up being the best character in the game in the future.
Lets not knee jerk here. Mario is still reliant on hard reads for kills and doesn't exploit on advantageous situations like sheik or Diddy. And counter play to Mario will be better neutral play.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lets ignore the fact that Ally is top 5 on the face of the mother****ing planet.

It was all Mario clearly.

what the ****

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534

Let's not get ridiculous. There are definite problems with Mario. For one, there are some questionable matchups with upper-mid characters, such as DK (an opinion not only held by Ally and ANTi but backed by results if im not mistaken) and, if Ally's 3-1 loss to Ryuga at Landlocked means anything, Corrin. Not to mention Ally actually being down 2-1 in games and at a 100% deficit in game 4 of his set vs Mr. E at GOML. If he didn't get a spike and turn up the jets in Game 5 it would've been an early trip to losers for him. MK Leo also took a game off of Ally with Marth. Furthermore, Ally's two biggest demons, Dabuz and Nairo, didn't attend and didn't fight him at GOML, respectively.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
And the other category 1 tournament has just finished.

CEO Prologue (135 entrants)

1) All Might :4sonic:
2) DJ Jack :4ryu:
3) MVD :4diddy::4duckhunt:
4) Dath :4robinf:
5) Master Raven :4sheik:
5) Cashmere :4falcon:
7) Prince Ramen :4palutena:
7) Ryo :4myfriends:
9) Day :4lucario:
9) Saj :4bayonetta:
9) Riot :4dk:
9) Eden :4fox:
13) Brand :4rob:
13) E :4cloud2::4mario:
13) Seibrik :4metaknight::4cloud2:
13) Xaltis :rosalina:

Players such as Sol, True Blue, Poltergust, and dyr did not make top 16.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267

So, Sonic doesn't win tournaments huh? Good to see that a Sonic main finally did it. This is truly a historic day for Smash 4 competitive scene.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Wait, is category 1 the highest level? Because I would not consider these tournaments to be the same level as GOML.

If not, please ignore me lol

juddy96

Smash Lord
So, Sonic doesn't win tournaments huh? Good to see that a Sonic main finally did it. This is truly a historic day for Smash 4 competitive scene.
... It certainly wasn't easy on the eyes, that's for sure. And I'm a big fan of watching Smash 4 Sonic.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

Here's some footage of 1.16 Bayonetta. Not too shabby, she still has some combos.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Remember when I said :4link: is viable regionally but not in majors? This is a perfect example.
Get On My Level 2016 Top 32 (489 entrants)

1st
Ally :4mario::4marth:

2nd
ZeRo :4diddy::4sheik:

3rd
Larry Lurr :4fox::4dk:

4th
Nairo :4zss:

5th
Mew2King :4cloud2:
Leo :4metaknight::4cloud2::4marth:

7th
Mr. R :4sheik:
ANTi :4mario::4zss::4sheik::4diddy::4cloud2: (If only this website had the Random button icon.)

9th
Ksev :4fox:
Alphicans :4littlemac::4fox:
Will :4dk:
San :4myfriends:

13th
SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
PikaPika! :4pikachu::4cloud2:
Astro :4lucario:
DarkWolf :4shulk:

17th
iStudying :4greninja:
False :4marth::4sheik:
Yoh :4diddy:
Max Ketchum :4cloud2::4falcon:
Holy :4rob:
C3PO :4diddy:
Mr. E :4marth:
Venom :4ryu:

25th
Chrim Foish :4diddy:
JJROCKETS :4diddy:
Blacktwins :4cloud2::4mario:
Raziek :4robinf::4corrinf:
K.I.D. Goggles :4sonic::4kirby::4bayonetta:
Constance :4zss:
JPeds :4diddy:
Exodia :4zss:

:4diddy: x7
:4cloud: x6
:4zss: x4
:4sheik: x4
:4marth: x4
:4mario: x3
:4fox: x3
:4dk: x2
:4sonic: x2
:4shulk: x1
:4metaknight: x1
:4kirby: x1
:4bayonetta: x1
:4robinf: x1
:4corrinf: x1
:4ryu: x1
:4rob: x1
:4falcon: x1
:4greninja: x1
:4lucario: x1
:4littlemac: x1
:4pikachu: x1
:4myfriends: x1
While obviously GOML was the hypest thing around, there were a couple category 1 tournaments for Das Koopa Das Koopa list and here is one of them (the other isn't done yet)

9) That Guy (idk)
13) Leaf FC (whoever he feels like)
^:4link: solo got 13th on the lower quote. This is my result based reasoning for link being a mid-tier. Link has a lot of good regional results like that but doesn't show in the top 32 of majors. When I see people put Link on a tier below Robin and Kirby it looks too low imo. I think Link is about where Robin is on the tier list.

On another note, lots of :4cloud:s even at the highest level of play, 2nd only to :4diddy: in numbers. IMO Diddy's probably the best followed by Cloud, Rosa and Sheik (not ordered).

D

Deleted member

9) That Guy (idk)
13) Leaf FC (whoever he feels like)
I want to bring attention that a :4jigglypuff:main named RDR7 got 17th place at this tournament. Not too bad.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Guys, I know one nice upset in a tournament is not enough to instantly qualify a character as number one. I'm just playing devil's advocate here and entertaining the possibility that diddy, sheik, cloud, or rosa could have another competition for #1 spot. Maybe mario really does have flaws that prevent him from being up there, but ally sure as hell is good at hiding them.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Remember when I said :4link: is viable regionally but not in majors? This is a perfect example.

^:4link: solo got 13th on the lower quote. This is my result based reasoning for link being a mid-tier. Link has a lot of good regional results like that but doesn't show in the top 32 of majors. When I see people put Link on a tier below Robin and Kirby it looks too low imo. I think Link is about where Robin is on the tier list.

On another note, lots of :4cloud:s even at the highest level of play, 2nd only to :4diddy: in numbers. IMO Diddy's probably the best followed by Cloud, Rosa and Sheik (not ordered).
In terms of results on the regional level, Robin is known to do well in Florida, Nova Scotia, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Minnesota. I'm not completely aware of all the Links out there

Rizen

Smash Legend
In terms of results on the regional level, Robin is known to do well in Florida, Nova Scotia, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Minnesota. I'm not completely aware of all the Links out there
Off the top of my head, tourney placing Links are Zane the Pure in Texas, Scizor in SoCal, Lord Xavior in RI, Unknown in (was Paradigm Shift in FL?), Cat in Netherlands, there's also Huggles who's PRed, kxiong, ...sorry I'm not home atm and got to go. See this.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-tournament-results-thread-25th-october.404196/page-6

juddy96

Smash Lord

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Oh look, the moment DH starts getting alot of great placings MVD picks him back up LOL

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
No ness in GOML or Paradigm Shift top 32? Shame. Is someone gatekeeping him or did he just lack representation at these tours?

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
This is all good until you realize, that seibrik isn't SDI or DI correctly, in fact that last combo shouldn't happened if he knowed how to SDI that Up-2, i dont know why people are looking for combos in bayo, when she isn't good at that anymore.

A good bayo player should do turtling and camp until can use her kill confirms.
Imagine 1.1.6 :4bayonetta2: as a combination of :falco: and :sonic:, with a poor's man Za warudo, how good is she now is another matter, but dont expect any notable results of her right now.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Guys, I know one nice upset in a tournament is not enough to instantly qualify a character as number one. I'm just playing devil's advocate here and entertaining the possibility that diddy, sheik, cloud, or rosa could have another competition for #1 spot. Maybe mario really does have flaws that prevent him from being up there, but ally sure as hell is good at hiding them.
What has Rosa actually done to merit discussion as the best character in the game? She's obviously a good character, but she definitely has MUs she loses harder than anything Sheik/Diddy have to deal with, and also has worse results, so I don't understand the actual case for her as #1 right now. People keep saying she's gonna take over as #1 after every round of nerfs but it never seems to materialize. At this point I'm not even sold on her as top 5 with Diddy, Sheik, Cloud, ZSS, and Mario all looking better right now. She's still really good but has some rough MUs to deal with.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Yes, nairo is big example on this, he couldn't slow down against :4littlemac:, to the point that he was eating smashes, compare this to Leo or Zero, who could slow the game and capitalize on that, if Nairo weren't getting the 0-death ladder combos against Alphicans he would lose the set.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman

No disrespect to Manny, but if he won, I guarantee it wasn't by playing hype.

Good showing from Dath. Is it just me, or does he have a tendency to place exactly 4th? Also, respect to Saj for sticking with Bayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom