• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.6 Pit Impressions

Stove

Smash Rookie
Now that 3.6 has been finally released, I want to hear your first impressions of Pit and his changes!

Honestly speeding up dtilt has been a change that we've been waiting for since 3.5 came out. Pit's new animations are also pretty slick such as his running animation and his bair animation!

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I'm in love with his new animations, and I don't know if it's just me but he just feels 100x smoother than before. In 3.5, he was kinda stiff-ish, but he controls amazingly now.

I'm officially picking him up. I think he's finally at where he needs to be.

Stove

Smash Rookie
Can't wait to mess with him for hours after work today. Will give my impressions later
I can't wait to read your thoughts on Pit later on! I've been messing around all night and morning with Pit since release, and have been getting some decent practice in with my best friend. He seems much more smooth and way better than 3.5 in my opinion!

Stove

Smash Rookie
I'm in love with his new animations, and I don't know if it's just me but he just feels 100x smoother than before. In 3.5, he was kinda stiff-ish, but he controls amazingly now.

I'm officially picking him up. I think he's finally at where he needs to be.
I agree, I had Pit as a secondary in 3.02 and the transition to 3.5 threw me off and I didn't touch the character much. At the last month or two of 3.5's life I decided to pick him up and this time as a main and thankfully the PMDT managed to work out the kinks that had troubled me with Pit's 3.5 nerfs and now he feels as smooth as butter!

Last edited:

Orange Chris

Smash Rookie
I love the sm4sh ftilt. Even though it's slightly weaker/laggier than 3.5, it just feels even more usable.
Utilt and Fsmash work so well now. Dtilt speed up is nice. I would have sped it up a little more, but oh well. I was skeptical of Usmash's sdi changes, but the new angle on the linking hits seems to balance it out. Uair combos feel really tight. Previously, I could really only do Uair->Uair on spacies at high percents, but now it's really easy to combo with. Dthrow definitely can't really kill anymore, but combined with the release point changes it seems to work even better at low percents. Like the Arrow buffs. Don't really see why the glide timer was needed (I don't think MK needed it either) but it's not that bad. The shield changes are a step in the right direction, but they still need to lower its startup by a few frames and heavily lower the amount of time you have to have it out. Kind of surprised they didn't really change UpB.

As an aside, not really digging the new announcer or the new 'Light' effect on Arrows/UpB.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Super sad they changed the first hit of fsmash so you can't grab/jab after it. Now it takes too long too long because of the IASA being pushed back. I also don't think nair > grab/jab feels as good now. The more rapid hits being easier to DI might make it more escapable.

I honestly thought he would get a little bit more. Why was ftilt made worse?

Also I didn't really play Pit much in 3.5, but I was messing with him the week prior to today because I figured he'd be a lot better. What do the dair changes mean? Use the blade hitboxes at low percent and hand hitboxes to still combo at high percent??

LTROwen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Endless_Nine
New Sm4sh-like animations are gorgeous, all around has a lot more flair to him between those and the new effects. All these small QoL changes have blended together to make Pit feel smooooooth as butter. Definitely a keeper and I'm crazy excited to work with him! :D

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
- Dtilt buff is wonderful as its the one thing most of us have been asking for.
- Arrow shooting faster is really nice, I'm not sure it was needed.
- I don't mind the glide timer all that much but I feel it was really unnecessary. The only time it probably will come into play is when you've combed someone off a large blastzone stage and have already used your jumps.
- Mirror Sheild Nerfs, I honestly don't understand why this move needs any changes. Its already got to stay out for a decent amount of time once its out, so its not something I tend to throw out unless I'm getting something big with it (turnaround Gimps and reflecting big projectiles)
- down throw nerf, I need to play around with it a bit more as it seems to open up new options as well as take some away and it I'm not sure if it will work out.
Is it just me or is the range of Pits new Bair worse after the sweetspot. I actually like using the sourspot every so often so it saddens me a bit. I like the animation though.

Haven't really had a lot of time to try him out with humans but he at least feels a bit more friendly to use.

New running animation is *really* nice though.

Also if anyone could clear this up for me: If I understand it correctly then shooting arrows in the air is actually a bit faster now. The notes only mention changes shooting the arrow sooner and not putting it away slower. You don't have the 6 frames of lag from shooting on the ground they added in 3.5 that make following up on a connected hit. (so there is even less reason to shoot arrows on the while ground than in 3.5)

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Oh yeah, the fsmash nerf is kinda disappointing. Spamming Fsmash 1 on people with no SDI and didn't crouch cancel was pretty funny. Don't know why ftilt gets less knockback with each update. I thought it was fine in 3.5.

I love the new arrow. Having to short hop them in neutral was just annoying and never felt worth it to me.
The changelog says that Pit's up b reflects projectiles now, but I spent like a good 5 minutes trying to get this with a friend of mine and not once did it work.

Feels like they tried to buff dthrow while simultaneously nerfing it. But I haven't had any complaints about it so far. That could eventually change, though. I like that they made shooting arrows upward at the startup is easier. It was awkward in 3.5 and I sometimes Up-B'd by accident. Taking away from of the hitbox frames on bair was kinda meh. I'll see how much it affects my play soon.

Edit: I also wish they gave Pit's glide startup some speed back. They reduced the intial velocity by what...17% from 3.02 to 3.5. I think that was kind of much given how Pit's glide is compared to the other gliders in the game. According to his character profile on the PM website, his glide was also meant to be a good approach option from mid distance. Ever since 3.5, I've never felt like that was the case because of how slow it is.

Anyway, hopefully the Pit forums will see some love now that the character has gotten a bit of attention. Maybe we'll see the return of a certain Swedish Sniper. ;)

Last edited:

Stove

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, the fsmash nerf is kinda disappointing. Spamming Fsmash 1 on people with no SDI and didn't crouch cancel was pretty funny. Don't know why ftilt gets less knockback with each update. I thought it was fine in 3.5.

I love the new arrow. Having to short hop them in neutral was just annoying and never felt worth it to me.
The changelog says that Pit's up b reflects projectiles now, but I spent like a good 5 minutes trying to get this with a friend of mine and not once did it work.

Feels like they tried to buff dthrow while simultaneously nerfing it. But I haven't had any complaints about it so far. That could eventually change, though. I like that they made shooting arrows upward at the startup is easier. It was awkward in 3.5 and I sometimes Up-B'd by accident. Taking away from of the hitbox frames on bair was kinda meh. I'll see how much it affects my play soon.

Edit: I also wish they gave Pit's glide startup some speed back. They reduced the intial velocity by what...17% from 3.02 to 3.5. I think that was kind of much given how Pit's glide is compared to the other gliders in the game. According to his character profile on the PM website, his glide was also meant to be a good approach option from mid distance. Ever since 3.5, I've never felt like that was the case because of how slow it is.

Anyway, hopefully the Pit forums will see some love now that the character has gotten a bit of attention. Maybe we'll see the return of a certain Swedish Sniper. ;)
Pit's upb is terrible for projectiles from what I noticed :/ I was playing with my best friend, a Sonic main, and he used his spring recovery while I up b'd and it stopped me in my tracks and I didn't have anymore jumps and made me not grab ledge.

I've been hoping so much that Armade picks up Pit again! I want to see more Pit in high level play. And hopefully the Pit boards become less dead after this update. It was saddening how little activity there was here.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
As I posted above, Im fairly sure that the arrow change doesnt affect the usefullness of ground arrows all that much. At least for me a major use for arrows is that they have just enough hitstun that they can be followed up by other moves. As I currently understand it: On the ground you still have 6 or so frames of endlag that make following up on hit arrows a lot harder. This change more or less just compensate a bit for the extra frames it takes to short hop before shooting, and the makes the Ariel animation a bit faster than before. I think Grounded arrows have about the same Animation length as they did in 3.02 but with the 3.5 endlag they are still a less usefull.

I also wish they gave Pit's glide startup some speed back. They reduced the intial velocity by what...17% from 3.02 to 3.5. I think that was kind of much given how Pit's glide is compared to the other gliders in the game. According to his character profile on the PM website, his glide was also meant to be a good approach option from mid distance. Ever since 3.5, I've never felt like that was the case because of how slow it is.
While I dont think Pit "needs" the speed boost. I do agree that SideB has very limited use aggressively as it is now. The bigger challenge with using SideB aggressively might be that if you use it you lose all your jumps A bad approaching glide could potentially kill you. (I cant remember ATM if grounded SideB retains all jumps or if jumping OoG just uses Pits First/best jump. If its the former then perhaps the speed boost would be more useful on grounded SideB would be nice). The change wouldnt go Unappreciated regardless, although I'm wondering if the speed boost would also mean the glide timer potentially shortened to compensate.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Oh I definitely think that 3.0 Arrows are by far the best when compared to 3.5 and 3.6. My point was that grounded arrows didn't feel at all useful to me in 3.5. I get the design choice they were going for, which is making it so that arrows are used more as a combo tool (specially how armada and zero would use them off stage during fair strings to get that final hit), but he should at least get a little something out of them in the neutral, which is what I feel like 3.6 helps him with. Maybe I'm wrong and need to play around more with others before determining how good or bad his grounded arrows really are.

As for his glide, he keeps all his jumps if he does it off the ground. More speed on grounded Side B would definitely be welcome.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
he should at least get a little something out of them in the neutral, which is what I feel like 3.6 helps him with
For neutral Id recommend throwing a short-hop arrow out in neutral every so often in match-ups where the opponent cant/wont make a fast/safe approach. If it hits it will pop them up and can create a small window to get another hit. The grounded Arrow lag makes following up a lot harder and the arrows themselves don't do all that much on their own.

Also this is probably applies a bit to pits arrows as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STR214XUsEU

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Oh man, I need to get out of the Splatoon vortex and mess with this character.

Edit: Just tested him out, holy **** he is so clean and good feeling again. None of the stupid, all of the awesome. 3.6 Pit is best Pit.

They even gave him the Smash 4 f-tilt, yesssssssss

Last edited:

Stove

Smash Rookie
For neutral Id recommend throwing a short-hop arrow out in neutral every so often in match-ups where the opponent cant/wont make a fast/safe approach. If it hits it will pop them up and can create a small window to get another hit. The grounded Arrow lag makes following up a lot harder and the arrows themselves don't do all that much on their own.

Also this is probably applies a bit to pits arrows as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STR214XUsEU
Short hop arrows are definitely great against characters that can't react as quick. I have a friend who has an insane Ganondorf, one I can honestly put above most if not all Ganon players in PM and a couple of short hop arrows go a long way in that match up, and lead in to good combos.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Wow am I having fun with 3.6b Pit. He feels so clean and smooth. Dthrow can work like falcons in getting those crispy tech chases, arrows and new animations look dope, and I need a replacement for Bowser after the rework (just not really into him anymore, love the new design and all though). Never been a Pit player, but damn is he fun now.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
you can still infinite glide in stamina

It was buffed not nerfed
Ah, that was my bad then!

I sometimes get confused by patchnotes because while most things go from Old->New it sometimes it put in the reverse order. (ie: "Pits Uptilt: IASI increased to 28 from 26" and "Mirror sheild: ending IASA from 15 to 5"). Other games/websites are guilty of it as well and I always feel I need to read a change at least twice to make sure I understand if its a buff/nerf (this one eluded me).

Gonna try and pick up pit. What stages are good for pit? Is UP B still a kill move?
Pit generally likes Bigger stages to complement his mobility and range. and wide blastzones to help him last longer with his lightweight+Good recovery distance. Low Ceiling can allow him to potentially kill faster with vertically, just be careful vs people who also have strong vertical KOs themselves, because his lightweight might work against him. He handles Platforms pretty well.

Up B can kill but you need to hit with it right, I think Its a bit harder then it was in 3.02, but it might have just been me Stressing over how much he was nerfed overall from 3.02 to 3.5.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I'm glad to be back to playing Pit with 3.5 in the books.

I have a somewhat different idea about Pit stages, though. I see juggling as his core strength, with a secondary plan of edgeguarding; therefore, you want to pick stages that will make it difficult for your opponent to come down. I don't think FD is quite ideal, though, because platforms give your opponent an incentive to not just stay on the ground forever. Something like PS2 or Smashville or GHZ or Castle Siege is probably good. Too many platforms makes it too easy to come down and neuters your best strength, so avoid Delfino Secret, WarioWare, and triplats. Additionally, your opponent's character choice is also a relevant factor--many of those are good Link stages, for instance, so it might be worth reconsidering those and just taking the fight to Battlefield or wherever.

My opinion on stages is subject to change, based on advances in platform techchasing, recovery, edgeguarding, Pit's ground game, and other assorted factors.

Loyal2NES

Smash Rookie
He's pretty slick now. Combos feel natural and really satisfying. Some parts of his recovery still rub me the wrong way, but internally, without comparing it to the recovery of other characters, it feels balanced for Pit himself. There's just a couple holes left, but he otherwise feels pretty complete.
  • USmash and Nair hits still fail to link pretty regularly, and are way too easy to SDI out of, even if you catch the opponent at the start of the move in a really good position for you. I'd also like to see these get more hitstun on the minor hits and, in the case of Nair, have a reduced number of hits with greater power per hit (i.e Ivy's FTilt treatment).
  • For a move that gains next to no height, has weird momentum properties, leaves Pit super super vulnerable, and takes the form of a big honkin' shield, Up-B has some pretty depressing hitboxes and priority. A LOT of moves can go through it easily, or at least trade. The reflector aspect also isn't really all that useful. I'm not sure what purpose it's supposed to serve, but...

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
The reflector aspect also isn't really all that useful. I'm not sure what purpose it's supposed to serve, but...
His shield reflects.
He uses his shield for his up-b.
That's all the reason there needs to be too make it reflect.
It may not be good, but it doesn't need to be a super-crazy-meta-power-ultra-purpose-comeback-triplebackflip-useful reflect. It just doesn't make sense for his shield to only reflect during certain moves. If he's got his shield out, it reflects for the sake of consistency. It may have limited use, but who cares. It didn't do it at all previously, so no reason to complain.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
The problem is that as far as I can tell (and I've tested a few things in Debug Mode), Shield Bash doesn't actually reflect anything at all, despite what the patch notes say.
Yeah, I was actually trying to reflect Ivysaur seeds with it earlier, no luck. Maybe it's got a weird reflect time? Who knows man.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Played in my first tourney with 3.6 pit yesterday. Took some good games, but a few things about him that I noticed:

• I got punished for using up smash so much its incredible. I'd catch opponents with the middle of the hitbox and they'd fall right out. This happened against people who I know for a fact weren't SDI'ing it. The move is super unreliable overall.

• I got CC'd so much, and being a new Pit, I have no idea how to counteract it.

• A change I'd like to see to up-b is to make the shield reminiscent of Snake's cypher. Cypher somewhat protects the user from overhead attacks and has its own hurt box. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to hit Pit from above during Up-b, but it'd be nice to not get beaten out by almost everything while trying to recover/kill with it.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Well, the main idea behind up b as a kill move is not that it's supposed to win and kill everything in the air. The general idea is to combo into it. People can't beat it out if they're in hitstun.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ Life Life "the notched arrow hitbox is out a frame earlier".

Also, for those playing in tourney, what followups are you getting off down throw? From testing on Ike, it appears floatier characters get hit by Dash Attack, even when they are heavy like Ike. Up throw only seems good for platform tech chases and f throw/back throw seem useless. Any thoughts?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Down throw leads into some really hilarious tech chases and regrab setups with jab from what I've seen. I won't comment on their viability though since I haven't had time to have someone really DI the shenanigans.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Down throw can get a dair or fair follow up as well. Down throw > dair > fsmash was one I was getting pretty consistently. I use it a lot like Falcon's dthrow. Lighter characters get combo'd, heavys get tech chased with dair.

Life

Smash Hero
Dthrow-dash attack is the only consistent followup I know of on DI away, and they have to be reasonably floaty for it to work. Also doesn't work on Bowser (and maybe a couple other heavies) as far as I can tell, because the longer throw animation means we can't make it to him in time.

That said, on fastfallers, uthrow is a reasonable alternative, since its optimal DI angle is opposite that of dthrow. I haven't looked too far into it, but regrabs definitely seem to be an option. Pit also has a lot of techchasing ability given his solid dashdancing, dsmash, etc. Grounded upB has a linking hit on frame 5 that makes it a pretty decent finisher on techchase as well.

Top Bottom