• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Link Discussion

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I'll entertain the idea if we ever go to the same tournament. Would it be Link vs Wario? Link is like my 5th best character so throwing $100 on him seems eh but I might do it anyways just for fun :p. I do enjoy playing against wario though :p.
I threw the number out there for the money match cause I know that matchup like the back of my hand, but if you throw Ic's or lucario at me, I have no idea whats going to happen lol. That being said, if we actually do meet up at some point, I'm definitely down for some matches. Whether or not it's for big money, it's in tournament, or if it's just friendlies, I would really enjoy it.

@ Thor Thor - Honestly dude, if you're already winning stuff in your region, I can't say too much. I can be nitpicky and say that you throw out grabs way too much, and you had some yolo dairs that were a bit hard to watch. Consistency with DACUS takes time, so just keep practicing it and eventually randy dash attacks will be the thing of the past. You seem pretty fond of dilt, and it gets you punished a little too much, maybe use dsmash a little more in those situations. Also, you're very partial to up b oos, and you should probably try to mix it up with some jc usmash or a nair out of shield, or maybe a wavedash. That way you can maybe keep it fresh just in case you need it for a bomb jump, that and it's always nice to mix up your oos options. Also you don't always have to let the 2nd hit of fsmash rock, single hit is still pretty good.

Take this all with a grain of salt considering I play against link more than I play him.

Thor

Smash Champion
I threw the number out there for the money match cause I know that matchup like the back of my hand, but if you throw Ic's or lucario at me, I have no idea whats going to happen lol. That being said, if we actually do meet up at some point, I'm definitely down for some matches. Whether or not it's for big money, it's in tournament, or if it's just friendlies, I would really enjoy it.

@ Thor Thor - Honestly dude, if you're already winning stuff in your region, I can't say too much. I can be nitpicky and say that you throw out grabs way too much, and you had some yolo dairs that were a bit hard to watch. Consistency with DACUS takes time, so just keep practicing it and eventually randy dash attacks will be the thing of the past. You seem pretty fond of dilt, and it gets you punished a little too much, maybe use dsmash a little more in those situations. Also, you're very partial to up b oos, and you should probably try to mix it up with some jc usmash or a nair out of shield, or maybe a wavedash. That way you can maybe keep it fresh just in case you need it for a bomb jump, that and it's always nice to mix up your oos options. Also you don't always have to let the 2nd hit of fsmash rock, single hit is still pretty good.

Take this all with a grain of salt considering I play against link more than I play him.
I won one thing and placed high in others, so improvement is always nice. Thanks for the advice. [I will also zair a bit more, Italian Ninja taught me zair is amazing this past weekend (we played in bracket round 1 due to seeding being really messed up, I lost 2-1)]

Not really related, but this weekend when I teamed with the top player on the Melee PR for PM [he plays Falcon/Fox/Falco/Marth in Melee and Fox/Falcon in PM], we took 1st without losing a single game [including beating the number 13 on the local PR [a pretty solid Ganondorf with impressive movement] teamed with Dart!]. We are also set to team for the next event (due to our success this past weekend).

Does anyone want to discuss stuff about Link or another player in here not me? It seems like I sort of took over this thread XD

EDIT: Unless there's a thread for it elsewhere, I generally struggle vs Ness [though I got some tips and there are none around here, so I can't test it and I might have gotten the info I need], vs Charizard [I don't know why... it's more of a problem on small stages, but sometimes I just can't keep him out... and the only guy we have here who plays him plays Yoshi and Peach as well, and I wallop his Peach usually while generally beating his Yoshi], and I played a stupid good Luigi recently, except he went almost exclusively for Shoryuken KOs [and he was landing them on a lot of different people]. He also plays DK, an MU I'm unfamiliar with outside of a few games with people. I know to SDI Luigi's jab [now, I got it like twice when we played] and I guess run away and zone more, but is there any advice people want to offer for these MUs?

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I won one thing and placed high in others, so improvement is always nice. Thanks for the advice. [I will also zair a bit more, Italian Ninja taught me zair is amazing this past weekend (we played in bracket round 1 due to seeding being really messed up, I lost 2-1)]

Not really related, but this weekend when I teamed with the top player on the Melee PR for PM [he plays Falcon/Fox/Falco/Marth in Melee and Fox/Falcon in PM], we took 1st without losing a single game [including beating the number 13 on the local PR [a pretty solid Ganondorf with impressive movement] teamed with Dart!]. We are also set to team for the next event (due to our success this past weekend).

Does anyone want to discuss stuff about Link or another player in here not me? It seems like I sort of took over this thread XD

EDIT: Unless there's a thread for it elsewhere, I generally struggle vs Ness [though I got some tips and there are none around here, so I can't test it and I might have gotten the info I need], vs Charizard [I don't know why... it's more of a problem on small stages, but sometimes I just can't keep him out... and the only guy we have here who plays him plays Yoshi and Peach as well, and I wallop his Peach usually while generally beating his Yoshi], and I played a stupid good Luigi recently, except he went almost exclusively for Shoryuken KOs [and he was landing them on a lot of different people]. He also plays DK, an MU I'm unfamiliar with outside of a few games with people. I know to SDI Luigi's jab [now, I got it like twice when we played] and I guess run away and zone more, but is there any advice people want to offer for these MUs?
I can't give you a complete rundown of the matchup but I can tell you what the Donkey Kong will want in the matchup.

Grabs. That's what will lead to the loss of your stock if you aren't careful. DK's Fthrow is called cargo, and with that he can alter his throws.

In easy terms : Grab > Fthrow (Cargo) > Uthrow. DK's standard Uthrow doesn't set up for DK's juggle combos near as well as Cargo Uthrow does.

DI the throw to the left or the right, or you will eat many many meaty Uairs.
Also At certain Percents DK can cargo, jump and follow up with a fair.

Zone him the very best that you can, I should also mention that if a good DK isn't landing grabs they will hit you with spaced ftilts and dtilts or if they are vallsy they will dash attack.

If you can avoid grabs and zone this matchup is yours, but Donkey Kong will put the hurt on your stock if you let him grab you.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
DK has a sneaky way of not letting you wall him out too. So you have to be super thorough. DK is one of those nogs that seems like he should be more free than he is. I'd say it's probably about even now. Pre patch it was in our favor. My perception comes from playing against a former pmbr.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Dthrow dair works on ness. I'm going to do more extensive testing on that soon.

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Hi all,

I grew a bit tired of Link, I may take a break of playing him, what char would you recommend me to pick ?
I don't really have a type of gameplay I want to play in mind, so if you could just advice one or two char and why you find him/them fun that would be great ! :p

I will come back to Link once i miss him :)

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Haha ! By a matter of fact I tried a bit Ganondorf and I found him quite fun to play :)
Does it make me a hateful person ? :3

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Hi all,

I grew a bit tired of Link, I may take a break of playing him, what char would you recommend me to pick ?
I don't really have a type of gameplay I want to play in mind, so if you could just advice one or two char and why you find him/them fun that would be great ! :p

I will come back to Link once i miss him :)
The answer is always Diddy

Depends on what you like about link and what you are tired of. If you like the item play but are sick of how slow he is, Diddy/Tink imo. If you're fine with the speed, like the item play, but just dislike the playstyle you might like Peach

D

Deleted member

Actually guys, I think I'm wrong about Link. All this time I've been arguing that hes fairly mediocre due to his poor speed and overall nerfed projectiles but I actually think hes top 5 now imo.

I mean, hes the freakin savior of hyrule!!1 HEE'S REALLY BADASS xP :4lemmy:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
He could be faster, but the PMBR has to remodel Link's dash into him spamming roll like in Zelda games.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
No he has to run sideways and jump repeatedly for speed. Kinda like sheik walking backwards.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Sheik you fiend. Why didn't Zelda just stay Sheik in Ocarina of Time?

Then she could just DThrow chain grab (Edit) Ganon and gimp him off of his tower.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Fun Fact : In Ocarina of Time backwalking was faster than jumping side to side and rolling.
Actually, jumping to the side is faster than walking backwards.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Oh really? I thought that was only in Majora's Mask.
Nah, there are many instances where speedrunners jump sideways instead of backwalk. Side jumping isn't very consistent though and only marginally faster so it's often better to just backwalk.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So Link's dash animation should be back walk confirmed.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
It would be something pretty cool to see. Honestly I wish link's Dtilt was replaced with his shield stab from OOT. Just hopefully nowhere near as quick.

I have all sorts of things I wish we could see but we can't without Link intentionally being God Tier.

Thinks like beams coming out of the sword at 0%, maybe add like a mechanic where you couldn't shoot another one until the previous one passed the screen/blastzone.

This is 3.5 Link Discussion, I need to quit my rambling. This ain't Brawl-

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It would be something pretty cool to see. Honestly I wish link's Dtilt was replaced with his shield stab from OOT. Just hopefully nowhere near as quick.

I have all sorts of things I wish we could see but we can't without Link intentionally being God Tier.

Thinks like beams coming out of the sword at 0%, maybe add like a mechanic where you couldn't shoot another one until the previous one passed the screen/blastzone.

This is 3.5 Link Discussion, I need to quit my rambling. This ain't Brawl-
I was actually really upset when TL got the shield stab and not Link. I suggested that back in like.. the first demo and I was told I was a ******.

Laser beams. FalcoLunk confirmed.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
They wouldn't be as fast as Falco's. They could be slower and you could only use them on the ground. I can dream ;~;

I'm pretty upset about the shield stab too. I feel Link needs something to make him feel *new, maybe redo a few animations I don't know.
Something like back roll's animation resembling OOT's backflip, or maybe a crouch + hold forward + a mechanic like Snake and Squirtle have. Link could roll forward (no invincibility) and he would stand up in idle animation.

This is why I will never be a member of the PMBR guys.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Meh. I'm fine with his general moveset. I do wish he had the stab however. I'm not very ambitious. The back flip would be hype. That's like the only thing I don't hate about Smash 4 Link.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Ya I know. It's all good.

I once said that he should fast forward time by 7 years every time you land with Dair.

SHFFL Dair a few times and Marth will have a broken hip and be going through menopause. Instant 100-0.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind a different ftilt. I like dtilt, but I'm open to change.

I mentioned teaming with Matt R and winning the last PM doubles tournament with him above. At the next monthly (coming up soon), I will be teaming with Dart if he can make it to the event [Matt R can't show].

If I can keep this up, I might be able to call myself the most carried player of 2015.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I want a t shirt made that says "I <3 Hit Confirmed DACUS Conversions" with a picture of a boomerang on it. I think it could catch on.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
We need a DACUS's witness.

Do you have a set to hear about our Lord and Savior DACUS Conversions?

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
The kind of input we would get would be C-stick down.

You can make it if you want. My brain is feeling... Empty right now.

Ehhh. Maybe I'll do it at some point for lulz.

On another note... I've never experienced anything so ****ing misery inducing as ganon vs lucario. Really quick reminder why I don't actually play that character.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
The kind of input we would get would be C-stick down.

You can make it if you want. My brain is feeling... Empty right now.

Ehhh. Maybe I'll do it at some point for lulz.

On another note... I've never experienced anything so ****ing misery inducing as ganon vs lucario. Really quick reminder why I don't actually play that character.
I assume you were playing on the Ganondorf side.

It's basically the only MU where Lucario wins neutral [as far as I can think of - he does vs Bowser too, sort of, but Bowser having armor makes things weird] - although I'm not positive he does (though the Ganon mains I know of agree Lucario wins neutral). Then you have Lucario punish game, and Ganondorf is big and heavy. Sure, Lucario is combo food, but Lucario conversions are free off everything he'd normally use in neutral [even with weird stuff like sweetspot uair, you probably still have double jump, so ASC DJ force palm can get things rolling], but some of Ganondorf's stuff just can't always convert, or will not quite kill and leave Lucario able to recover with his pretty decent recovery, even though Ganondorf can edgeguard.

Did Hylian ever give his thoughts on Link's general MU spread?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have before, but I don't play enough 3.5 Link to feel good about doing it again. Believe it or not I actually use Link the most in tournaments when I have to fight spacies lol. Yeah, spacies destroy him, but I just rely on my punish/edgeguard game and getting that 1 read a stock while weathering the storm for the win. My other characters I do worse against spacies(Ic's/Lucario). Lucario seems like he would work but man I just can't compete in neutral with fox/falco with that character. With link I can at least throw **** and rely on gimps lol. I've also used him against marth, but not in 3.5. Last time I used him against marth was in a money match against Dart which I won, and then a rematch MM which he won right after.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I'm dumb and played Link in a match against a marth at this last tournament I was at which I got 3rd lol. Here is the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/socostreams/b/621782539?t=2h11m10s

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
What character DOES compete in neutral against fox/falco? <_> certainly not link.

Dash attack absolutely ****s falco though. It's so funny.

Thor

Smash Champion
What character DOES compete in neutral against fox/falco? <_>
Falco/Fox, duh.

I tend to think Marth does too, at least sort of. 3.02 Mewtwo and Pit, anyone?

Beyond that... no one? Link being able to throw stuff at spacies is nice in any case [it certainly makes things easier than if we couldn't throw stuff at them].

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Throwing stuff at Fox and Falco is extremely ineffective. Especially against Falco. Fox doesn't really care about any of Link's projectiles.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would say it's the other way around. Fox can abuse his speed to get around projectiles, but things like full hop -> throw rang down are very effective against Falco.

Top Bottom