• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2B Automatizes!

JoZerp

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 6326 4459 2403
Now there's a lot of new vids of youtubers talking about 2B, the wait is killing me.

Normanz

Smash Rookie
I was thinking if the next fighter was 2b, they would announce it on Nier's birthday. but due to the corona virus, the March Nier anniversary concert was postponed, and so was the fighter reveal.
This might mean something. I can't see why Sakurai would need to postpone the reveal if it was going to be in a nintendo direct. The one reason might be that Sakurai has not recorded a fighter reveal. But he usually pre-records his fighter reveals as he stated in byleth's reveal. So I don't really see a reason for the next fighter to be postponed other than if it was supposed to be shown to a live audience.

Obviously this is just a thought, not evidence.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was thinking if the next fighter was 2b, they would announce it on Nier's birthday. but due to the corona virus, the March Nier anniversary concert was postponed, and so was the fighter reveal.
This might mean something. I can't see why Sakurai would need to postpone the reveal if it was going to be in a nintendo direct. The one reason might be that Sakurai has not recorded a fighter reveal. But he usually pre-records his fighter reveals as he stated in byleth's reveal. So I don't really see a reason for the next fighter to be postponed other than if it was supposed to be shown to a live audience.

Obviously this is just a thought, not evidence.
Well, it's a interesting theory.
But I don't see Nintendo announcing a Smash DLC in a Nier concert if that's what you're suggesting. The Smash community in general wouldn't be paying attention to that, and Nintendo would rather have that announcement in a Direct, also because that would make a lot more buzz than announcing a character in a live concert.
Granted, maybe the Direct and the anniversary were scheduled for the same day, but that's very unlikely even if 2B is the next character.

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
NieR Replicant and NieR Automata will have a collaboration with SINoALICE to be included when it is released for Global/Western in July.
https://mobile.twitter.com/sinoaliceglobal/status/1241942764515819520?s=09
https://twinfinite.net/2020/03/sinoalice-yoko-taro-western-release/
https://i.imgur.com/zmyknxr.jpg
It's a game that has some connection to the "YOKO TARO Verse"
such as
Snow White is connected to the Pilot Scarface, who shot down Caim and Angelus during the events of End of Dragon Sphere
and an excellent soundtrack.

https://drakengard.fandom.com/wiki/Taro_Yoko/Taroverse

http://firesanctuary.com/blog/complete-yokoverse-guide/

https://firesanctuary.com/the-yokoverse-encyclopedia/

NineS

Smash Lord
So, with the returning relevance of NieR as a whole, and the return of (Brother) Nier...

How would you all feel if it was Nier himself who got into Smash instead of 2B?
It be a bit strange, since I've been parading for 2B all this time, but I'll be happy to get anything NieR/Drakengard in Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, with the returning relevance of NieR as a whole, and the return of (Brother) Nier...

How would you all feel if it was Nier himself who got into Smash instead of 2B?
It be a bit strange, since I've been parading for 2B all this time, but I'll be happy to get anything NieR/Drakengard in Smash.
I'd be totally cool with it. I think I'd prefer 2B, since Automata is my favorite game ever, but Replicant is also truly excellent and I really love Brother Nier. Plus it means we would be more likely to get a Kainé remix.

What a world we live in! I never thought I'd see the day we'd get a Replicant remaster that's also confirmed for the West. This is gonna be amazing.

NineS

Smash Lord
Advertisement/Teaser for the NieR Mobile game coming soon.

Wouldn't miss it for the world. Glad to see this franchise is becoming increasingly relevant.

Also, know there will supposedly be Nier news on April 22nd. I do not know if it will be of NieR, NieR Re, or NieR Re[in], but it should hopefully be something good.

Still hoping we get more smash news when the time comes... Good news, that is.

Last edited:

JoZerp

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 6326 4459 2403
What the hell? Nier isn't the name of the game? *confused screaming*

If that happens i would be sad because i want 2B in.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Didn't played anything beyond Automata, but in Automata there's no one named Nier. I don't think it's likely that in case of having a Nier rep we will get Nier himself or anyone else. I'm expecting a similar case to Joker, where the most popular and recent character would be the chosen.

The bad thing is that if 2B gets in I'm not expecting a lot of representation for the rest of the series, at best some music tracks or something like that, just like what happened with Joker, but he at least came with some Mii Costumes from P3 and 4.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
The Final Fantasy XIV 5.3 patch from the Final Fantasy XIV Producer Letter livestream gave a preview of what to expect of NieR Automata’s YoRHa Dark Apocalypse story if the NieR Quest In 5.2 about the key 2P referred to back in 5.1 didn’t tip you off
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/601090021?t=1h26m33s
Starts around 11:30

https://i.imgur.com/Ypx3HLY.jpg

Yes,
https://i.imgur.com/08bQOMX.jpg

The wreckage of the Bunker at a crash site will be the next location to visit for the NieR raid storyline. It is called the “Puppets’ Bunker”. Perhaps the Tower will be next after this. It would be nice to hear the Tower’s theme again along with a new Orchestra mix of Sound of the End.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
This render is very cool. What do you think?
Fantastic. Aside from the fact it looks really well done, especially since I believe this was mostly done in programs such as Photoshop rather than being an actual 3D model, it seems to me like it shows that 2B can be toned down to be less fanservicey one way or another and still fit in just fine.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Fantastic little fan render!! I hope she makes it and it shows that it's easy to tone her down just fine.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Fantastic. Aside from the fact it looks really well done, especially since I believe this was mostly done in programs such as Photoshop rather than being an actual 3D model, it seems to me like it shows that 2B can be toned down to be less fanservicey one way or another and still fit in just fine.
Well, you have this:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In case anyone missed it, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom posted the second part of his character analysis for 2B, so check it out! https://smashboards.com/threads/“2b-activates-for-battle”-nier-automata-smash-analysis-part-2.504949/

Also, I played a bit of Nier Automata - I had played through the tutorial previously, and this time, I made it through the desert and the amusement park, and I just got to the village in the forest. While I'm sure this isn't much of the game (I don't know much about it, though I know that it has five "real" endings along with twenty-one joke ones that cover the rest of the alphabet), it (plus Venus's analysis posts) is enough to make me want to see 2B in Smash, so count me in as a supporter.

EDIT: after completing a few sidequests, I fought Eve and unlocked the game's fast travel system, which will make it much easier to complete other sidequests.

EDIT 2: I've beaten ending A! I'll start the next story tomorrow. The ending came quicker than I expected, so I didn't complete some sidequests and I didn't have a ton of healing items by the end. The ending was happier than I expected, and the ending credits reminded me of Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been well over 24 hours since I last posted here, so I wanted to mention that I've reached Ending B and started playing as A2.

On a related note, I have a question: would A2 work as an Echo fighter for 2B, or an Alph-style alternate costume? I haven't played much of A2 so far, but unlike 9S (who hacks his opponents in exchange for not having a heavy attack), A2 seems to play pretty similarly to 2B so far - I haven't reached the Goliath in the desert yet, but so far, the only differences that I've seen are that her dash looks more sinister and she has a dedicated taunt button.

I'm not sure if she has all of the same abilities as 2B, or at least enough that she could be an Echo fighter with a different final smash, and I figured it might generate discussion.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's been well over 24 hours since I last posted here, so I wanted to mention that I've reached Ending B and started playing as A2.

On a related note, I have a question: would A2 work as an Echo fighter for 2B, or an Alph-style alternate costume? I haven't played much of A2 so far, but unlike 9S (who hacks his opponents in exchange for not having a heavy attack), A2 seems to play pretty similarly to 2B so far - I haven't reached the Goliath in the desert yet, but so far, the only differences that I've seen are that her dash looks more sinister and she has a dedicated taunt button.

I'm not sure if she has all of the same abilities as 2B, or at least enough that she could be an Echo fighter with a different final smash, and I figured it might generate discussion.
I played Nier back in 2017 so my memory isn't really good, and with that in mind I'd say A2 is one of those characters that could work as an echo fighter by losing a bit of identity. Same case, in my opinion, with characters such as Dark Samus or Dixie Kong. At the same time I think that A2 could be her own character because she had enough unique abilities. Also, her attacks animations are different from 2B's if I'm not mistaken.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got endings C, D, and E in very quick succession, and I've officially (as far as I'm concerned) beaten Nier Automata! My hand hurts, but once I connected to the network, it was a really uplifting moment. (though I chose not to delete my save data, since I was close to getting some achievements and I didn't want to lose all of my progress)

I just barely got the achievement for completing 80% of the unit data by beating the final boss, which was good. I tried fighting the bonus boss in the underground area before I entered the end-game, but that went... poorly. (I died in two hits)

At the moment, I'm missing thirteen achievements. Five are listed in Steam's menu:
  • complete 80% of all quests (I was around 50 or 60%, though I do need to go back to older chapters to get weapons that can only be unlocked by completing quests)
  • find 80% of archives
  • obtain all Pod programs (I think I was at about 60% for that, and I believe that some are rewards for completing quests)
  • upgrade all weapons to the highest level
  • upgrade all Pods to the highest level (that one might be a pain, given how rare some of the upgrade materials seem to be)
and there are eight secret ones:

• destroy 50 machines using remote-controlled machines - I rarely used the remote control function, so that might take a while
  • destroy 50 machines in Berserk mode - I only used that mode once when the story suggested it, so again, that might take a while
  • destroy 10 friendly machine life forms
  • look up 2B's skirt 10 times
  • play as 9S for an hour in his post-self-destruct state
  • destroy Emil (going to need to level grind for that one - like I said, he beat me in two hits before, and from what I understand, there's a second form that's even tougher)
  • find Emil's hiding place
  • reach all 26 endings (I didn't go for any of the bonus endings, and I sold the mackerel, so I'm not sure if I can even accomplish this one)
All in all, I'd say that I did pretty well. Not sure how this game stacks up to Bayonetta 2, DMC3, or DMC5, but I think it beats out Metal Gear Rising, and it's definitely one of my favourite action games.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I got endings C, D, and E in very quick succession, and I've officially (as far as I'm concerned) beaten Nier Automata! My hand hurts, but once I connected to the network, it was a really uplifting moment. (though I chose not to delete my save data, since I was close to getting some achievements and I didn't want to lose all of my progress)

I just barely got the achievement for completing 80% of the unit data by beating the final boss, which was good. I tried fighting the bonus boss in the underground area before I entered the end-game, but that went... poorly. (I died in two hits)

At the moment, I'm missing thirteen achievements. Five are listed in Steam's menu:
  • complete 80% of all quests (I was around 50 or 60%, though I do need to go back to older chapters to get weapons that can only be unlocked by completing quests)
  • find 80% of archives
  • obtain all Pod programs (I think I was at about 60% for that, and I believe that some are rewards for completing quests)
  • upgrade all weapons to the highest level
  • upgrade all Pods to the highest level (that one might be a pain, given how rare some of the upgrade materials seem to be)
and there are eight secret ones:

• destroy 50 machines using remote-controlled machines - I rarely used the remote control function, so that might take a while
  • destroy 50 machines in Berserk mode - I only used that mode once when the story suggested it, so again, that might take a while
  • destroy 10 friendly machine life forms
  • look up 2B's skirt 10 times
  • play as 9S for an hour in his post-self-destruct state
  • destroy Emil (going to need to level grind for that one - like I said, he beat me in two hits before, and from what I understand, there's a second form that's even tougher)
  • find Emil's hiding place
  • reach all 26 endings (I didn't go for any of the bonus endings, and I sold the mackerel, so I'm not sure if I can even accomplish this one)
All in all, I'd say that I did pretty well. Not sure how this game stacks up to Bayonetta 2, DMC3, or DMC5, but I think it beats out Metal Gear Rising, and it's definitely one of my favourite action games.
Happy to see that you have enjoyed the game!
Personally, I wouldn't define Nier Automata as an action game, or not an action game in the vein of Bayonetta, Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Rising. I see Nier Automata more like an action RPG game. My reasoning for this is because the game has a semi-open world, a lot of secondary missions, strong RPG elements, no ranking/puntuation system, etc. which isn't really common in DMC, Bayonetta and more.

Personally I think Nier is closer to Astral Chain than Bayonetta. Not like that's a bad thing, of course.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written out a 2B moveset. Much like I did with my Dante moveset, I stuck to using two weapons (and occasionally throwing in attacks from her Bare Fists if needed), since I figure that if Bayonetta's any indication, they'd probably keep her moveset relatively straightforward.

2B Draws Nier!

(not my idea for a tagline; it was much better than what I could come up with. Credit to this Twitter account)

For her first palette swap, her colours reverse (white dress, black hair, dark skin) like they do in the alternate palette for Soul Calibur 6. Her next four palettes are fairly simple, changing her outfit and boots to red, blue, green, and yellow to reference the team colours in 8 player smash. Another gives her a white dress, red boots, and red hair, referencing Devola and Popola, while another outfit turns her dress light blue and her boots white, referencing Kaine from Nier. (I haven’t played Nier, but 2B has a costume based on Kaine)

For a series logo, there are a lot of options, but the two that I’m torn between are the symbol for YoRHA and Emil’s head. While Emil’s head would represent Nier as a whole (and it’s the game’s logo on Steam), the YoRHA logo would work better for 2B, so I’ll go with that.

There are so many possibilities for a Nier Automata stage – my first pick would be the Amusement Park, but Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom already chose that, and I don’t want to copy that article. With that in mind, I’ll go with the Flooded City. It seems well-suited for a stage, consisting of a destroyed street with a broken bus still on it, and crumbling buildings over water that serves as a bottomless pit in the original game. In terms of hazards, various enemies could wander on-screen – Small Stubbies (who just flail their arms while walking forward, and if you get hit, it’s your own fault), Medium Bipeds (who are more of a threat), Small Flyers (who fire their cannon at players from a distance), Medium Flyers (who either fire their cannons or spin at players like a wheel), and Emil (who drives in quite quickly and hits for a lot of damage – he’s invincible, but if he’s hit, he’ll skid to a stop and drop items near anyone who comes by if items are turned on).

If Emil shows up, his shop’s theme is so loud that it overrides the background music (assuming that’s an option – the stage’s actual background music would still play softly) – hitting him after he’s stopped will just make him play the faster version at a louder volume. Eventually, he’ll drive off, looking for someone else to sell to. While City Ruins seems like the more likely option, since a lot of third party stages are based on early or recurring locations in those games, the Flooded City seems more interesting from a visual perspective.

For her intro, she floats onto the stage hanging on to Pod 042. For her idle animations, 2B stretches her arms over her head, or looks around at the stage, just like in Nier Automata.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2B will mainly use two weapons – Virtuous Contract (small sword) and Virtuous Treaty (large sword). I might have her summon other weapons depending on whether or not I need to fill out her move list, though those two swords will stay hovering behind her, and the other weapons will disappear after being used. However, I figure that (much like with Bayonetta) Smash Bros. is going to stick with one set of weapons, so I’ll only use other ones if I absolutely have to.

I’ll include descriptions of the moves, as well as references for how to use them in Nier Automata; hopefully that helps – if a visual is needed, this video should help. If 2B dodges at the last moment, much like Bayonetta’s Bat Within, she gets a special animation where she splits into three holograms, vanishes, and reappears elsewhere – it’s purely cosmetic.

A-->AA-->AAA: 2B uses the first three hits of her light combo with her small sword, slashing twice before throwing the sword in front of her, which spins around like a saw blade before vanishing and appearing on her back.

Forward A: 2B uses the attack that she uses when you use a heavy attack in the middle of a light attack combo, hitting the opponent with a powerful swing downwards.

Up A: 2B does a flip kick upwards (part of the light attack combo with the small sword)

Down A: 2B dashes forward, stabbing her sword low to the ground (hold Heavy Attack with a small sword equipped in that slot)

Forward Smash: 2B uses her large sword light attack, leaping into the air and spinning around with the sword held out and spinning vertically.

Up Smash: 2B swings upwards with her large sword (part of her light attack combo with the large sword)

Down Smash: Large Sword Charge Attack – 2B charges up her large sword before swinging around with it, though unlike in Nier Automata, she doesn’t move forward while doing so.

Neutral Air: 2B uses the first four hits of her light small sword air combo, slashing the opponent up to four times.

Forward Air: 2B uses the fifth hit of her light small sword air combo, throwing out her sword and having it spin around like a saw blade.

Back Air: 2B spins while throwing her small sword behind her – the sword travels a short distance before returning to her hand. (based on her midair heavy attack with the small sword, though in that case, the sword travels downwards)

Up Air: 2B spins around with her large sword held out, starting from behind her back before going overhead, forward, and below her. (light air attack with heavy sword equipped)

Down Air: 2B uses her heavy air attack with her large sword, plummeting to the ground.

Dash Attack: 2B spins as she dashes forward before crouching and slashing horizontally, which happens if you hold the light attack button while using a small sword.

Wake-Up Attack: 2B uses the fourth hit of her Bare Fists combo, hopping up and using a roundhouse kick to knock away opponents on both sides of her.

Climb Attack: 2B uses the third hit of her Bare Fists combo, using a flip kick to hurt whoever’s in front of her and get back on stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab: 2B grabs the opponent – nothing fancy.

Pummel: Pod 042 fires a few bullets at the grabbed opponent, doing minor damage.

Forward Throw: 2B’s front throw from Soul Calibur 6 – she slashes the opponent before kicking them away. (all throws are based on Soul Calibur 6 unless noted, using this video as a reference)

Back Throw: 2B turns around, punching the opponent into the air using a Machine Head weapon. She tosses the Machine Head into the air, hitting it like a baseball with her large sword to send the opponent flying.

Up Throw: 2B does a flip kick to knock her opponent into the air – this is based on the heavy attack from the Bare Fists weapon when she’s rising into the air. She vanishes, and the opponent is sliced by several invisible blades. (Based her her Mirage Pod Program, or the attack that she uses on downed enemies)

Down Throw: 2B kicks the opponent and grabs onto Pod 042, using him to get airborne. She stabs the opponent as she falls to the ground.

Up Taunt: borrowing a taunt from A2, she plants her large sword into the ground and leans against it, though she doesn’t make a taunting remark like A2 does. Instead, Pod 042 floats around 2B and says “Demoralizing opponent.”

Side Taunt: 2B uses her taunt from Soul Calibur 6 – Pod 042 floats in front of her and she pats the top of it.

Down Taunt: 2B summons a chair and sits on it, like she does while fishing.

B: Pod Machine Gun – 2B points, and Pod 042 fires large yellow bullets straight forward. 2B can move and jump while this is being fired, though the bullets do minimal damage and don’t make the enemy flinch. If it’s held down for too long, Pod 042 starts glowing red, says “Alert: overheating”, and stops firing, to prevent it from being spammed. (if it was the same as in the source material, it seems like it would be pretty overpowered, since in Nier Automata, you could fire it endlessly and attack while using it)

Up B: Pod Program: Missile – 2B grabs onto Pod 042 as it rockets upwards.

Side B: Pod Program: Wire – Pod 042 shoots out a wire, and if it grabs an opponent or ledge, it pulls 2B towards that target.

Down B: Pod Program: Gravity – unleashes a hemisphere (if it hits the ground – it’s a sphere if it activates while in midair, and it automatically activates after the amount of time that it would take to get to the ground from 2B’s standing animation) that draws in any enemies that are within its radius. It does no damage, it doesn’t last as long as a Black Hole item, and it’s not as large, but it is useful for trapping enemies in one place. Once this is used, a circular meter appears on the pod, indicating its cooldown period. (it seems like it would be cheap if you could spam it)

Final Smash: YoRHA Assault – 2B uses the Pod Program: Spear, causing a row of spears to burst out of the ground. If they hit, it goes into a cutscene where 9S and A2 are standing beside her. She calls on 9S, who uses the Pod Program: Slow to keep the opponents trapped in midair. As 9S yells “Go!”, 2B and A2 slash the slowed opponent(s) similar to what 2B does at the end of the So-Shi fight. (there are a lot of options for a final smash, but I wanted to include the other two player characters somehow)

2B’s first two victory poses are taken from Soul Calibur 6 – they’re the first two in this video. (admittedly, that's likely lazy of me, but with Namco-Bandai working on both Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur, it seems reasonable) The third victory pose has 2B stabbing her large sword into the ground, though it vanishes and appears on her back, as she says “Mission complete.”

For a victory theme, Nier Automata already has a victory theme, apparently (I must have forgotten about it), so Smash’s victory theme will take a snippet from that. (or play the whole thing like Cloud and Joker)

When Kirby copies 2B, he gets a wig based on 2B, along with her blindfold, hair band, and beauty mark. He also gets the Pod Machine Gun special, which acts the same way as 2B’s. (Kirby summons a Pod of his own for the attack)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Considering that the source in question only got a single Mii costume correct so far, I don't see any reason to take the source seriously. (and going by the date on the post, this was nine months after Cuphead came to Switch, and three months after Sans was added to Smash, so it could just be a coincidence) At the very least, 1/9 isn't exactly a pattern.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Fatman’s “source” is a fraud. His name is Supirorguy, ROFLMAO! Fatman imo should kind of stop pretending to be a leaker, and people should stop believing him. He’s already hated by SG, same goes for his “source” Supirorguy (the Mii costume leaker).

Also, y’all need to stop giving him attention. He’s very unreliable.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Fatman’s “source” is a fraud. His name is Supirorguy, ROFLMAO! Fatman imo should kind of stop pretending to be a leaker, and people should stop believing him. He’s already hated by SG, same goes for his “source” Supirorguy (the Mii costume leaker).

Also, y’all need to stop giving him attention. He’s very unreliable.
I merged the posts, but for future reference, if you want to add more detail to your post, just edit it in; double posting is considered spam. (also, SupirorGuy and the Mii costume leaker are two separate people; I understand that people get heated about this topic, but it's best to not spread inaccurate information)

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
There will be an announcement on September 24 at the Tokyo Game Show regarding NieR Replicant Ver. 1.22474487139, NieR Re[in]carnation, and NieR Automata.
Mark your calendars.

Top Bottom