• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepz

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=3152]****[/drupal]

Alright SmashBoards I need some help guidance anything.
My mom just recently died of cancer. My hands are shaking just typing this, my mom was the closest person to me and now she's gone.My life now feels like I have nothing to live for now. If I had to describe the pain I feel I would say I feel like someone cut of my legs and wants me to walk the Earth for the rest of life. ****, I took her for granted my whole life and now she's gone.

Mom, to the world you may have just been somebody,
but to me and Drayden you were the world.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Well, aside from becoming an arrogant, narcissistic, misanthropic, nihilistic social recluse, I turned out just fine after my father died, who was the closest friend that I could possibly have.

During the first six weeks or so of grieving, I started hating my father and denounced any form of god, and came to accept that even though we are social creatures, you can't truly depend on anyone in the world. I stopped talking, and went for days at a time without eating. I was mute for so long that my vocal cords actually hurt from disuse once I started talking again. To put salt in the wound, he died a few days before Christmas, so I spent what would normally be a pleasant day at my cousin's house (which the entirety of my dad's side of the family would attend) helping my mom and grandpa plan my father's funeral.

Life sucks, and then you die.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You should talk to someone you can trust, or in contrast, a party completely oustide your life who you can speak to.

I myself lost my youngest uncle recently (he was 37). I know it's not quite the same as a mother but he was close and it's still loss. It's never easy and there's no getting around it. The pain will stay with you for the rest of your life, but the feeling will change. At one point it'll get worse, then it'll get better. Over time you'll be able to deal with the void they leave behind, it comes with acceptance.

One thing that helped me is realising that if it hurts so much, then the person must have had an incredibly positive impact on your life. Even though they're gone, the amount of pain should show you how special that person was, and in that regard, you can be thankful that they were even there in the first place. Life comes with the burden of watching the people we love leave us, in more ways than just passing on, but if we lose the plot, we'll only give pain to those around us that love us.

As Falcon says, don't hold back on mourning, it's our natural mechanism for dealing with it.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
My advice: Don't isolate yourself. If you feel like you need to talk about it, find someone in real life that you can talk to. Grieving will not be a pleasant experience, but try not to guilt-trip yourself over anything. There was nothing you could have done about the cancer, and I'm sure if you think hard enough you'll find some good memories with the difficult ones.

If you feel that you are slipping further than what would seem normal--if you have trouble sleeping, eating, getting up in the morning--you may benefit from professional counseling. But I encourage you to talk to someone close to you.

D

Deleted member

I can't really relate much, but I have had two friends who died. One who died in a fire and another who died of a brain tumor. I quite litterally cried when they were dead. It is a sad experience to lose an friend you always loved.

My suggestions. Try getting over it. However, make sure during the funeral to not hold your mourning out, it is not a good idea. You should also not laugh during a funeral as that is disrespectful (You obviously wouldn't do that).

Once that happens, try to get into contact with someone that you know can help you. A close friend, relative, a pastor, and tell them what happend if they don't know already. Try to keep in contact with them frequently and ask for suggestions to recover from your depression.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm sorry for your loss.

I bet your mom was a beautiful person. But now she's in a better place, wherever that may be. The cancer isn't bringing her pain anymore.

My 4-year old brother was murdered. I can relate.

My mom is also chronically ill, and I know I'll feel like my entire soul was torn in half when she dies, even though she can't stand me anymore.

I agree with Falcon. Make peace with it, don't be ashamed to mourn.

I hope you get through this.

I bet she'd want you to be happy and move on. Never forget her though.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Life sucks bro.

I think most people can relate with the death of someone close, and if they can't, they will someday. But yeah man, you should get over it somewhat. Not saying to forget, because you really can't. They'll always be there whether spiritually or whatever you believe.

So good luck.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
My uncle just died a little while ago, and he died really lonely, infected with hepatitis and racking up huge medical bills :(

Make the best of what you have, everyone. Christ, it's the only freaking chance we get.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
I believe that everybody's already said what was necessary. Just don't be dumb with your choices, she wouldn't want that.

I don't know what I'd do if my mom were to die too...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I think that's bull****, but it helps you put things in perspective.
I'm kinda with Teran on this. I mean, family members dying earlier than you'd like is one thing that you can make peace with. I for one can say I'm over my dad's death completely, doesn't even make me kinda emotional, but there's **** that you just don't get over, like atrocities in war or seeing me nude.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
If my mom died... I'd cry for months. Not be happy for a long time. Same if my dad or my dog died... Or my cat too... My dog got stolen a couple years ago, I cried. No I'm not a wimp or anything I just love my animals and parents. Extended family not as much.

BelgianWaffle

Smash Cadet
I would say think of it as "She is in a better place now."

She was living in a world where she had to put up with cancer, paying bills, nuclear bomb threats, global warming, economic downfall, and terrorism.

Now she is living in a world where she looks down on you, laying on a tanning bed, drinking a fruit smoothie with some shades on, and giving God a high five.

xX belgian Xx

Cross.

Smash Ace
I want to say I can relate to you, but I cant.

My mother is the closest family member to me. If she were to go I literally dont know what I would do.

so, so sorry man.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
I would say think of it as "She is in a better place now."

She was living in a world where she had to put up with cancer, paying bills, nuclear bomb threats, global warming, economic downfall, and terrorism.

Now she is living in a world where she looks down on you, laying on a tanning bed, drinking a fruit smoothie with some shades on, and giving God a high five.

xX belgian Xx
I don't like that kind of advice.
If he seriously believed that, he wouldn't be like that to begin with.
This is too idealistic and forced.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I think the death that affected me the most is that of my cousin. He died around five and a half years ago, aged around 22 at the time (from cancer). When my nan died, I was upset obviously, but not as much so, because she was already 80 and had lived a long, good life.

I'm not sure I fully got over it; I don't think I'd be the same person I am now had it never happened. But over time it sort of fades, until eventually it's just a scar, though it still hurts when you touch it.

Top Bottom