• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Game of the Year is not brawl

• Thread starter smash brawl player 99021
  • Start date

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I know the people who whine about Melee are always going to be completely useless individuals. Seriously, dude, no. Its not even the best game for the last generation. No, don't argue, you're wrong. Devil May Cry beats it out, and there are plenty of other great games last generation which are potentially better.
=D

Lol. 10 char.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would not consider Galaxy better than Brawl on any standards. I bought it and thought it was good but I didnt enjoy it. It didnt keep me playing like Brawl. Brawl has the stuff for you to go back to the subspace thing, or just fight like in the VS. mode. Galaxy is like you play once and say Oh that was fun! then sell it back to gamestop.
Yay! Someone else who didn't think Galaxy was the best thing sliced bread!

...But yeah, GTA4 or Brawl... lose/lose for me. I don't like GTA and I don't like Brawl either. Nothing from '08 that I played and really enjoyed actually had a shot in hell of getting GOTY so it never really mattered to me.

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Well in online respects, we use the 360 as the ideal model! Its the whole nintendo wifi things isn't great, but also isn't that poor! This is probably the wrong place to be talking about online play!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Xianghua is too good in all of them. Except 4.
Lol, Cervantes in SC II... was better than Xianghua. Cervantes > Meta Knight, no joke, Sakurai should've put him in Brawl.
I mained Kilik though, because he was sexier with his long hard pole.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Lol, Cervantes in SC II... was better than Xianghua. Cervantes > Meta Knight, no joke, Sakurai should've put him in Brawl.
I mained Kilik though, because he was sexier with his long hard pole.
haha, true true, shortly followed by Yunsung with his long sleek sword. Still does not beat the crotch shot that Kilik does with his hard pole...let's not talk about Seung Mina doing that same move, it just looks painful.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I thought Brawl deserved GOTY because, unlike other GOTY nominees like Fallout 3, GTA IV and MGS4, I'm still playing it and enjoying it greatly. The three games I just mentioned were enjoyed for two months max before I got sick of them and felt like playing Smash Bros again.

Whatever. I knew Brawl wouldn't get any respect. At least MGS 4 will win all the awards now, right?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Grand Theft Auto IV, most overrated game of all time.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Does anyone here follow Zero Punctuation? His reviews for GTA4 and Fallout 3 are pretty much spot on, which is why those games do not really "deserve" GOTY. He does a good number on Brawl also though that is mostly true. For all the hype and top sells that Gears of War 2 received, I have heard nothing from it since. Honestly, I do not believe any games this year "deserve" the title of GOTY, but something will. GTA4 will receive it, like the other games which get this award, because of the title on the front of the case.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Grand Theft Auto IV, most overrated game of all time.
No, that's Super Mario Galaxy.

Does anyone here follow Zero Punctuation? His reviews for GTA4 and Fallout 3 are pretty much spot on, which is why those games do not really "deserve" GOTY. He does a good number on Brawl also though that is mostly true. For all the hype and top sells that Gears of War 2 received, I have heard nothing from it since. Honestly, I do not believe any games this year "deserve" the title of GOTY, but something will. GTA4 will receive it, like the other games which get this award, because of the title on the front of the case.
Meh, I watch the occasional review from him but most of it is purely entertainment value. People enjoy his reviews when he's flaming the game and making puns about it so why wouldn't he keep doing that for all of them? Exactly. He's not a trustworthy source to me. I enjoyed his Brawl review but I think it probably did overly flame it (and that means something coming from me).

Again, he's entertaining. But he doesn't really count as an actual reviewer.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
No, that's Super Mario Galaxy.
Galaxy is definitely up there, but at least it didn't get perfect 10s from every media outlet in existance. I played GTA IV for about two weeks before I got sick of it.

Then again, I got 120 stars in Galaxy in a single weekend and haven't played it since. I'll play through it with Luigi in a couple of years...maybe.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Meh, I watch the occasional review from him but most of it is purely entertainment value. People enjoy his reviews when he's flaming the game and making puns about it so why wouldn't he keep doing that for all of them? Exactly. He's not a trustworthy source to me. I enjoyed his Brawl review but I think it probably did overly flame it (and that means something coming from me).

Again, he's entertaining. But he doesn't really count as an actual reviewer.

There is definitely an entertainment value in watching his reviews and yes there are certain games like the most recent Sonic release for the Wii in which the flaming is somewhat appropriate. When listening to his reviews, it comes to weeding out those puns and such, to get his actual facts and opinion on a game. He flamed L4D, he did enjoy the game though. He did go into the brawl review with the idea that he was going to hate it; just coloring his opinion before he started.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
This statement right here is your OPINION...my OPINION is that Melee is indeed the greatest game of this generation, and no, I'm not wrong...but neither are you...it's an OPINION...NOT A FACT...last I checked, an opinion can't be wrong...
Oh, opinions can indeed be wrong. Whoever told you otherwise was an idiot. You aren't special and you aren't a snowflake either, in case you were confused.

Opinions can be and often are wrong. Black people are evil, white people are good, aliens destroyed the WTC on 9/11, ect.

Its time that "opinions cannot be wrong" thing was nipped in the bud. They can be wrong, and yours is wrong.

Now, is it really possible to say whether one game is better than another? The answer is: maybe. We can look at a large number of factors - sales, reviews, ect. If multiple lines all point towards the same game, then we'd probably say "Well, that game is more likely to be the best", and conversely, if they don't all point towards any given game, then we'd be like "Its more difficult to tell". But in this case, we can look at, say, MGS 2, which got better reviews than SSBM and sold as many if not more copies, with probably about the same if not a smaller target audience.

I would tend to say there is some evidence to suggest that SSBM is not, in fact, the greatest game of the last generation. It is arguably the greatest fighting game, but its not the highest rated by critics, its not the best selling, and it wasn't enough to be a killer app.

And no, Melee players are NOT useless...
No, and I never said they were. People who end their posts with "Play Melee", believe that opinions cannot be wrong, and cannot read always are.

Well in online respects, we use the 360 as the ideal model!
Isn't battle.net the "ideal model"? Free, useful, and you can easily find a game.

I thought Brawl deserved GOTY because, unlike other GOTY nominees like Fallout 3, GTA IV and MGS4, I'm still playing it and enjoying it greatly. The three games I just mentioned were enjoyed for two months max before I got sick of them and felt like playing Smash Bros again.
A game isn't better because you play it for longer. This is the trap that many people who play RPGs fall into headlong.

Playing a game for a long period of time CAN indicate it is good... or it can indicate that it is just that sort of game, or is addictive, which isn't the same as being good.

Fighting Games and online multiplayer FPS games naturally have significantly longer lifespans than do other games, and MMORPGs have artificially inflated lifespans as well. The reason is partially addiction, and partially simply core gameplay functionality.

However, Fighting Games, online multiplayer FPS games, and MMORPGs are not the best games ever, and indeed games such as WoW are actually pretty poor games but suck up many hours of life.

Platformers such as Mario Galaxy will never have as much replay value as fighting games, but that doesn't mean that it is worse than an MMO or Counterstrike, say.

Fighting Games, FPSs, and MMOs have high hour value per dollar, particularly the former two. However, they don't necessarily have a high experience value per dollar as compared to, say, Super Mario Galaxy, and likewise they may not have as high of a fun per unit time value as Super Mario Galaxy or another similar game with lower replay value.

It is worth noting that which game is the "best" of any given generation has very variable values in these regards. The best SNES game was probably a platformer which actually was bundled with the system, and the N64's greatest game was likely either Mario 64 (an amazing platformer), Perfect Dark, or Goldeneye, and any of those three are strong contenders for the best game of their generation as well (though FFVII is up there, as far as video games go, as it is a definitive RPG, though FFIX actually got superior reviews).

I think hours spent on a video game are about as follows for me:

Neverwinter Nights
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye

But Neverwinter Nights is not the best game I've ever played, despite having spent the most time on it, not even the best video game. It had incredible replay value, and was easy to play all the time, so I did so. I've beaten Mario 64 a couple times, and consider it superior to NWN, which isn't a very good game at all.

As for Yahtzee, his review is as worthless as any other game reviewers, but far, far more amusing and is worthless for different reasons. Paying him off doesn't really seem to be an option, but he does nothing to check his personal opinions at the door; Super Smash Brothers Brawl is just not the sort of game he'd enjoy, as he basically pointed out in the review and is obvious from every other review he's done. The fighting game genre is not for him. This, as opposed to other game reviewers, which typically are paid to say nice things about whatever game, or simply do what Yahtzee does, thus equally well rendering their opinions worthless.

Fallout 3 wouldn't win because it isn't all that great of a game. Its fine, but Bioshock is basically in the same genre and much better.

Half the time, you cannot tell which game is the best until 10 years from now, when looking back people talk about X, and not Y. Planescape: Torment is still highly regarded however many years later, indicating it was better than people thought at the time, as are the Fallout games. Conversely, people barely even remember half the games which were around back then, and they are seldom referenced.

Cinder

Smash Master
Oh, opinions can indeed be wrong. Whoever told you otherwise was an idiot. You aren't special and you aren't a snowflake either, in case you were confused.
Tell me...when did I say I was special?

Opinions can be and often are wrong. Black people are evil, white people are good, aliens destroyed the WTC on 9/11, ect.
We have facts to prove them wrong...

Its time that "opinions cannot be wrong" thing was nipped in the bud. They can be wrong, and yours is wrong.
No, it's not...I think Melee is one of the greatest games I've ever played...I'm entitled to that opinion...

Now, is it really possible to say whether one game is better than another? The answer is: maybe. We can look at a large number of factors - sales, reviews, ect. If multiple lines all point towards the same game, then we'd probably say "Well, that game is more likely to be the best", and conversely, if they don't all point towards any given game, then we'd be like "Its more difficult to tell". But in this case, we can look at, say, MGS 2, which got better reviews than SSBM and sold as many if not more copies, with probably about the same if not a smaller target audience.

I would tend to say there is some evidence to suggest that SSBM is not, in fact, the greatest game of the last generation. It is arguably the greatest fighting game, but its not the highest rated by critics, its not the best selling, and it wasn't enough to be a killer app.
This really only applies to the general gaming population...not everyone HAS to agree with it, and I don't...

No, and I never said they were. People who end their posts with "Play Melee", believe that opinions cannot be wrong, and cannot read always are.
The play Melee thing is a JOKE, and I do believe you just called me useless...which I take offense to...

Skrah

Smash Ace
and the N64's greatest game was likely either Zelda, Ocarina of Time (a godly creation), Zelda Majoras Mask, or Super Smash Bros., and any of those three are strong contenders for the best game of their generation as well
Fix'd.

And an opinion is an opinion. I think that Zelda is the best Nintendo franchise, and I'm not wrong, since as far as I know I have enjoyed Zelda far more than Mario or Metroid. This doesn't mean that as a fact it is right.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I think GTA4 is not GotY. I mean, I loved it, but there- love D. It, like all other GTA games, IMO, got old. Yes, sandbox gameplay is fun, but haven't I been doing that since GTA3?

MGS4 and Brawl are the best contenders, if you ask me.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

There's a difference between opinion that defies fact (e.g. "It is my opinion that you don't exist") and opinion on how good something is. It's time elitists like you stop trying to say people have WRONG opinions. I oftentimes joke about people having wrong opinions but I never actually think someone's opinion on a game is wrong, unless it is fact-defying. If someone says Super Metroid is crappy, well I'm not going to say their opinion is wrong, even though it is my favorite game of all time. You need to learn to do the same.

Sales and reviews can't honestly be depended on to objectively say how good a game is, because both are faulty. Reviews can be biased, reviewers can be bribed, scores can be inflated, a reviewer won't spend as much time playing a game as others will. Sales only say who BOUGHT a game, not how much they ended up buying it for, not if they actually kept or enjoyed the game, or if the game was just hyped.

I don't really know if I'd say Melee was the best game of last generation or not, but there is no right or wrong answer there. And no matter how hard you try to find otherwise, there isn't.

El oh el.

It's an up-and-coming meme, otherwise known as a JOKE. The internet isn't serious business, despite common belief.

Oh, and is this proof enough that you did, in fact, say they were useless?
I know the people who whine about Melee are always going to be completely useless individuals.

Church

Smash Cadet
I haven't played MGS4 but I imagine that game takes the cake. Also it is hard to beat out any GTA game. My personal game of the year is Dead Space, that game is ****in' awesome!

Fletch

Smash Master
There were way too many problems with Brawl to even consider giving it game of the year in my opinion. Tripping alone should keep it from being considered. Oh and...

Play Melee.

EDIT: I had this avatar before the meme started, I'm so cool for starting this trend.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
GTA 4 is bad even by GTA standards, and most reviewers and gamers in general look down upon it really.

Brawl isn't going to win GOTY for multiple reasons, the most obvious being that there's little to no reason to play the game alone. Lets be honest, Online is terrible, even for the Wii's standards and for 99% of the people who bought it there's no reason to practice because it's just a party game. It can't possibly be GOTY without something going for it. Plus there's the fact that very few games have actually made fans say "**** this, im gonna play something else"

In all honesty I think GOTY should go to something that really deserves it, something that's both innovative and amazingly fun. Little Big Planet seems to be getting alot of hype, but from what I've played(which mind you is about 7 hours worth of the game) it's mostly undeserved. It's a fun platformer, but it's not really groundbreaking, its just something the PS3 didn't have beforehand. My personal vote would go to World Of Goo, being both amazingly fun and actually creative in gameplay, something that most other game's this year haven't been.

Play Melee

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
I have never played any GTA or MGS and never intend on doing so but I heard GTAIV was bad and Saints Row was better.
Brawl wasn't really perfect tho.

Play Pokemon Platinum. Oh that's right, you can't.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Brawl isn't going to win GOTY for multiple reasons, the most obvious being that there's little to no reason to play the game alone. Lets be honest, Online is terrible, even for the Wii's standards and for 99% of the people who bought it there's no reason to practice because it's just a party game. It can't possibly be GOTY without something going for it. Plus there's the fact that very few games have actually made fans say "**** this, im gonna play something else"
WiFi is actually pretty good, I don't know why everyone says it sucks. I'm in NH, but I've played with people in Texas without any noticable lag.

Also, Smash fans have expectations as high as Cheech and Chong.

Not to mention that Brawl had to compete with PS3 fanboys.

Play Brawl.

Mith_

Smash Champion
WiFi is actually pretty good, I don't know why everyone says it sucks. I'm in NH, but I've played with people in Texas without any noticable lag.

Also, Smash fans have expectations as high as Cheech and Chong.

Not to mention that Brawl had to compete with PS3 fanboys.

Play Brawl.
I don't think its only Brawl that is competing, but the entire Wii system itself is competing with the PS3. PS3 has a lot of cool stuff, and the Wii has Brawl (and homebrew to emulate the stuff that PS3 can do).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No trust me, even if Barlw has Lag-Fi, Lag-Fi lags pretty hard when it wants to.

I've had a terribad connection with a friend of mine... who lives in the SAME CITY.

I'm pretty sure it was him having messed up something, but good God if Barlw had the Wi-Fi some of the P.C. games had.... ahhhhh...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well then, consider yourself a lucky exception.

Play Melee.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No trust me, even if Barlw has Lag-Fi, Lag-Fi lags pretty hard when it wants to.

I've had a terribad connection with a friend of mine... who lives in the SAME CITY.

I'm pretty sure it was him having messed up something, but good God if Barlw had the Wi-Fi some of the P.C. games had.... ahhhhh...
It's weird though, because I've had seamless smooth matches with people in Canada and the US, and I'm from England. I have red connections with some people in England though :dizzy:.
Wifi is so odd.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Mewtwo MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo
MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo
MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo

Mewtwo MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo
MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo
MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo MewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwoMewtwo

That is all. Well actually its not. Like you said the Wii needs to hack its games to make them good. Without homebrew Brawl has terrible hitstun and its too floaty and its way too slow. Melee was fast had comboes and everything a dent fighting game needs. Brawl will noot get Game of the Year. It goes to Little Big Planet or World of Goo

Top Bottom