• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100% Juice - The best things in life are free.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
sonic adventure battle 2 was the last good sonic game.

man was it epic tho. anyway can ppl play ps1 games on a emulater on pc? i wanna get some FF action

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Kai apparently has high standards in games. Like me.

Edit: Too high, actually. Even I thought Mario Galaxy was great, and i'm not a Nintendo, Mario, or platformer fan. I wouldn't buy or replay it though.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
So EVERY RPG game is good? Guess I'm just picky with mine.

Warioware, Kirby, and mario games are entertainment in your opinion??? Warioware and Kirby games are simply awful. I haven't enjoyed a mario game since SM Sunshine. No......I did not think galaxy was fun for more than 10min. Super Paper Mario was ok, but I don't think it would have killed them to make it a little harder. It was too boring. Using Bowser was the only fun part.
Mario and Luigi is nothing like typical Mario games. At all.

Sonic games are simply awful. Hey, look, we can both do it! :psycho:

@Ether: He likes Sonic Unleashed. High standards lol

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I can enjoy playing a game without thinking it's great or of high quality. Doesn't mean i'll purchase it, or sing its praises though.

Allied

Smash Master
I have different tastes than you do in games
you have different tastes than i do in games
doesn't mean its bad

Unless of course
its that werewolf sonic game i saw on the wii
theres no way that can be good XD

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Mario and Luigi is nothing like typical Mario games. At all.

Sonic games are simply awful. Hey, look, we can both do it! :psycho:

@Ether: He likes Sonic Unleashed. High standards lol
I don't really see what Sonic has to do with the games you brought up. However since you feel the need to mention it, yeah, I thought Sonic Unleashed was a lot of fun on 360 and the day time stages are stages that I will actually go back and replay from time to time. Sonic Riders was also very good on the wii. The story book releases were also good, the main issue being the controls which piss me off too like everyone else.

Anyway, when it comes to games that aren't part of a franchise that I already love(sonic, simpsons) I'm very picky about what I play. I don't want to waste time on an RPG thats garbage. FF is a great franchise so I stick to their games for my RPGs. I played Mario and Luigi on DS(the first one) and thought it was decent at best. The only thing they get right are the final boss fights bc bowser is literally the only likable static character that the franchise has. Yoshi is ok.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't really see what Sonic has to do with the games you brought up. However since you feel the need to mention it, yeah, I thought Sonic Unleashed was a lot of fun on 360 and the day time stages are stages that I will actually go back and replay from time to time. Sonic Riders was also very good on the wii. The story book releases were also good, the main issue being the controls which piss me off too like everyone else.

Anyway, when it comes to games that aren't part of a franchise that I already love(sonic, simpsons) I'm very picky about what I play. I don't want to waste time on an RPG thats garbage. FF is a great franchise so I stick to their games for my RPGs. I played Mario and Luigi on DS(the first one) and thought it was decent at best. The only thing they get right are the final boss fights bc bowser is literally the only likable static character that the franchise has. Yoshi is ok.
I think you completely misunderstand my PoV on games.

You're sounding like trying something new is a hideous idea and that the only good games are from franchises with games you've liked already. I prefer to try as many games as I can because I may find a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

It just so happens that companies like Atlus and Square-Enix have published a lot of quality RPGs on the DS. Over 20 at this point in its lifetime (Including some FFs that weren't even released in the States until that point).

The idea behind me bringing up Sonic is because I too can make blanket statements about games. How is Kirby bad? What makes the Metroid series unworthy of merit? I don't like the Sonic games (And for that matter, most of what Nintendo as a first party churns out) because the games are derivative; they're essentially the same. Galaxy was fun, yes, but because it actually had new elements. The Sonic games have essentially been the same since the first one (Or the first true 3D game for the 3D ones, minus the awful storybook games, which are something else entirely).

That's why Warioware is excellent. That's why TWEWY is excellent. That's why OoT was excellent, and to a point, MM; I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game since those in nearly the same capacity as a result.

bajisci

Smash Ace
i laughed at how terrible sonic unleashed was, sega needs to drop sonic already

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I think you completely misunderstand my PoV on games.

You're sounding like trying something new is a hideous idea and that the only good games are from franchises with games you've liked already. I prefer to try as many games as I can because I may find a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

It just so happens that companies like Atlus and Square-Enix have published a lot of quality RPGs on the DS. Over 20 at this point in its lifetime (Including some FFs that weren't even released in the States until that point).

The idea behind me bringing up Sonic is because I too can make blanket statements about games. How is Kirby bad? What makes the Metroid series unworthy of merit? I don't like the Sonic games (And for that matter, most of what Nintendo as a first party churns out) because the games are derivative; they're essentially the same. Galaxy was fun, yes, but because it actually had new elements. The Sonic games have essentially been the same since the first one (Or the first true 3D game for the 3D ones, minus the awful storybook games, which are something else entirely).

That's why Warioware is excellent. That's why TWEWY is excellent. That's why OoT was excellent, and to a point, MM; I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game since those in nearly the same capacity as a result.
Sonic games have been the same? In Riders hes on a hoverboard, in unleashed he goes faster than any other game across a much broader area, he doesn't go to arabia nights, meet up with King arthur, etc in every game so I'm not sure how they are all the same.

There isn't much of a point bringing up sonic because its VERY clear by now that I'm loyal to the franchise and the quality(we differ in this view obviously) wouldnt matter anyway.

In response to your comment: "You're sounding like trying something new is a hideous idea and that the only good games are from franchises with games you've liked already. I prefer to try as many games as I can because I may find a diamond in the rough, so to speak."

I believe I said:"Anyway, when it comes to games that aren't part of a franchise that I already love(sonic, simpsons) I'm very picky about what I play"

Just bc I'm pick doesnt mean I dont play new games unrelated to franchises I like. As I've already stated Time Hollow is the best DS game I've played and I'm also enjoying Phoenix Wright a lot. I just don't see the point of playing through RPG after RPG that I probably wont enjoy and wasting my time.

I don't mind having a discussion about it, but don't imply things or take my words out of context CY.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
^

OoT is the most overrated game i've ever encountered. Maybe it was excellent for it's time, but nowadays? Yuck. I played through it for the first time last year, completely unbiased and not blinded by nostalgia. The result? I was bored to tears, and kinda felt like I had wasted the $10 I spent to download it on the VC. Not saying it's a bad game, but I am saying that I literally did not have fun playing through it and will never consider playing it again.

An example of why I generally don't pay attention to what most people consider a good/bad game.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
^

OoT is the most overrated game i've ever encountered. Maybe it was excellent for it's time, but nowadays? Yuck. I played through it for the first time last year, completely unbiased and not blinded by nostalgia. The result? I was bored to tears, and kinda felt I had wasted the $10 I spent to download it on the VC. Not saying it's a bad game, but I am saying I literally did not have fun playing through it and will never consider play it again.

An example of why I generally don't pay attention to what most people consider a good/bad game.
It's all opinion based anyway....so I agree.

OoT and Majoras Mask are the only Zelda games I even enjoy

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It's all opinion based anyway....so I agree.

OoT and Majoras Mask are the only Zelda games I even enjoy
Yeah it's all opinion.

Most people consider Okami to be a classic, masterpiece. I can appreciate the game's innovation and how skillfully crafted it is, but I could no longer tolerate how boring the first 10-20 hours were, so I stopped playing it. I wasn't having fun, and that's the most important aspect of a game. If you have fun with Sonic games, that's all that matters.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yeah it's all opinion.

Most people consider Okami to be a classic, masterpiece. I can appreciate the game's innovation and how skillfully crafted it is, but I could no longer tolerate how boring the first 10-20 hours were, so I stopped playing it. I wasn't having fun, and that's the most important aspect of a game. If you have fun with Sonic games, that's all that matters.
Indeed sir :). No idea what Okami is.....

fkacyan

Smash Hero
^

OoT is the most overrated game i've ever encountered. Maybe it was excellent for it's time, but nowadays? Yuck. I played through it for the first time last year, completely unbiased and not blinded by nostalgia. The result? I was bored to tears, and kinda felt like I had wasted the $10 I spent to download it on the VC. Not saying it's a bad game, but I am saying that I literally did not have fun playing through it and will never consider playing it again.

I'd say it's unfair to OoT to judge it alongside today's games. I'm judging it based on its time period; for the late 90s, that was a **** good game. Honestly, I doubt I could play through OoT now, but I hadn't played Ninja Gaiden when I went through it the first time.

Most games released prior to 2004 would be considered awful because the pacing and whatnot is very different than now. The audience games have pandered to has changed over time.

bajisci

Smash Ace
^

did the exact same thing as you, got it from VC, couldnt agree more, i beat it, but it was such a chore, boring dungeon crawling, ugh

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I'd say it's unfair to OoT to judge it alongside today's games. I'm judging it based on its time period; for the late 90s, that was a **** good game. Honestly, I doubt I could play through OoT now, but I hadn't played Ninja Gaiden when I went through it the first time.

Most games released prior to 2004 would be considered awful because the pacing and whatnot is very different than now. The audience games have pandered to has changed over time.
I can still play the Simpsons arcade game(1991) and The TMNT arcade(1989) over and over to this day even though its literally the same thing every time. They are also still found in (good) arcades. It takes gems like these to stay current :). MAME helps too :laugh:

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Yeah it's all opinion.

yeah, true. i don't see why everyone argues so much about whether games were good or not.... it is all about personal opinions. (although i can't say i haven't argued about whether games are good or not, especially with chris about the new sonic games :laugh:)

i really enjoyed Okami. as you said, the artwork was amazing and i really enjoyed seeing rejuvenation scenes. it was one of my favorite games, i really enjoyed the game play as well. i'll admit that i did not enjoy the fights you would normally get into with enemies.... but the boss battles were great imo.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Kai is one of those generic white kids that loves games with the characters he likes in them no matter how awful they are, and will always "stick to the classics".

Case closed, yo.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master

Allied

Smash Master
lol wow dude haha

anyway

kai is the man
and i can't get fire emblem to work
and yeah
*madface*

edit - nvm dooms a concieted beast