• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100% Juice - The best things in life are free.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
yoooooooo you guys are usually up to date w/ the tournaments in your region so i'd figure i'd ask here:

are there any tournaments on the weekend of may 15th?

my cousin is graduating from NYU so i'mma be up there w/ my fam for the whole week

it's kinda far ahead i realize but midwest tristate (IN/KY/OH) has tournaments stacked for at least 2-2.5 months in advance so i thought it might be that way for the EC tristate too!

granted i'll be kinda ****ty because at that pt. i will have accumulated a 1.5 month hiatus from brawl for APs but s'all good EC will help me warm up and then some

holla at me, i'mma subscribe to this thread
What's the story behind your username?

Allied

Smash Master
yoooooooo you guys are usually up to date w/ the tournaments in your region so i'd figure i'd ask here:

are there any tournaments on the weekend of may 15th?

my cousin is graduating from NYU so i'mma be up there w/ my fam for the whole week

it's kinda far ahead i realize but midwest tristate (IN/KY/OH) has tournaments stacked for at least 2-2.5 months in advance so i thought it might be that way for the EC tristate too!

granted i'll be kinda ****ty because at that pt. i will have accumulated a 1.5 month hiatus from brawl for APs but s'all good EC will help me warm up and then some

holla at me, i'mma subscribe to this thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264582

wes tournament in nyc ^_^

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I just saw a youtube vid of Magikarp sweeping a team of ubers. Kinda makes me want to play Pokemon.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
or sandstorm :/

thats why i stopped using those kinds of things. I used to use the ninjask + medicham combo, but after a while it started getting countered too easily.

the way he got the giratina stuck though was genious.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

thats why i stopped using those kinds of things. I used to use the ninjask + medicham combo, but after a while it started getting countered too easily.

Yeah, he totally was expecting a Spore. Absolutely hilarious.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

The Giratina was stuck for a stupid amount of turns.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
no, zoroak is a transformer (first one since ditto + mew) and he runs on all fours (then again not like we cant play as ivysaur or anything)

i doubt theyd make a transformer

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
no, zoroak is a transformer (first one since ditto + mew) and he runs on all fours (then again not like we cant play as ivysaur or anything)

i doubt theyd make a transformer
He doesn't have to transform if they don't want him to. Plus, he can stand on his hind legs if they want.

I want to see Tyranitar, but beastly fast...like a good Bowser or something.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
On FF13 with Bajisci:

Erik [7:12 PM]: >implying u played the game
Me [7:12 PM]: >implying I would waste the time
Me [7:12 PM]: I read a synopsis of the plot
Me [7:12 PM]: What bull****
Erik [7:12 PM]: >impyling one can judge sumthing before trying
Me [7:12 PM]: OK
Me [7:12 PM]: Go eat ****
Me [7:12 PM]: Seeing as
Me [7:12 PM]: You haven't tried it
Erik [7:12 PM]: lol..
Me [7:12 PM]: So you do NOT know that it tastes bad
Me [7:12 PM]: Yeah
Erik [7:12 PM]: LOL
Me [7:12 PM]: That turned around real fast
Me [7:12 PM]: ****er
Erik [7:12 PM]: how do u know..
Erik [7:13 PM]: maybe i have
Me [7:13 PM]: What now
Me [7:13 PM]: ...
Erik [7:13 PM]: LOL

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
On FF13 with Bajisci:

Erik [7:12 PM]: >implying u played the game
Me [7:12 PM]: >implying I would waste the time
Me [7:12 PM]: I read a synopsis of the plot
Me [7:12 PM]: What bull****
Erik [7:12 PM]: >impyling one can judge sumthing before trying
Me [7:12 PM]: OK
Me [7:12 PM]: Go eat ****
Me [7:12 PM]: Seeing as
Me [7:12 PM]: You haven't tried it
Erik [7:12 PM]: lol..
Me [7:12 PM]: So you do NOT know that it tastes bad
Me [7:12 PM]: Yeah
Erik [7:12 PM]: LOL
Me [7:12 PM]: That turned around real fast
Me [7:12 PM]: ****er
Erik [7:12 PM]: how do u know..
Erik [7:13 PM]: maybe i have
Me [7:13 PM]: What now
Me [7:13 PM]: ...
Erik [7:13 PM]: LOL
The game is fine. Top 4 in the series.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
agreed. i was going around saying it was amazing while i was still in the beginning of the game that was apparently supposed to be the "slow" part of the game that people found boring.
i think it's probably going to be my 2nd favorite of the series and definitely up there for one of my favorite games :bee:.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
That's frankly not possible, unless you're implying it was better than all of IX, VI, IV, X, and VII (in no particular order).

What I see in XIII is an extremely repetitive battle system with almost no actual learning curve required (You lose NOTHING for losing a battle - Just bash your head on it until you understand it!), a ****ty story (Yes, I've read the story; unless the game does something vastly different than what I've heard it does, I fail to see why anybody cares about Pulse and Cocoon, other than that people exist in them.

There's also the fact that the chocobo looks ****ing awful. Whoever gave it those earlobe things has to be shot.

clowsui

Smash Legend
What's the story behind your username?
IDK, I found it from someone on a RP'ing EZBoard that I used to play w/ when I was like...9 and I figured I'd take it. To guess at the intentions of the original person they liked CCS and Suicune :o

May 15th is my birthday!
Hopefully there's a tournament so we can celebrate then. You're definitely my original livestream buddy, haha

fkacyan

Smash Hero
nah chill, while it is good, top 4 in the series?, naaaahhhh son. and i agree with cyan wtf are those earlobe things they bother me so much for no reason

its in my top... 7 -_-
That's awful. So it's above 5 games (11 doesn't count), which include:

I, which only served to start the series
II, which is absolute trash
III, introduced jobs but story???
XII, LAWL THIS IS AN FF? GAMBITS AND STEER BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

What's the other game in this four that completes the quintet of suck XIII manages to beat?

Allied

Smash Master
i'll just leave this here

zzmikeray4zz 11:15 pm
(11:15:30 PM): actually its a good thing you told me
(11:15:44 PM): cause I was wondering about the times you fap
Allied1337 11:17 pm
(11:17:02 PM): ah k
(11:17:10 PM): yeah its to your facebook pictures
zzmikeray4zz 11:17 pm
(11:17:37 PM): thats funny...I do that to your facebook photo's too
Allied1337 11:18 pm
(11:18:34 PM): Ah ok thats cute
zzmikeray4zz 11:18 pm
(11:18:45 PM): shut the **** up

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
That's frankly not possible, unless you're implying it was better than all of IX, VI, IV, X, and VII (in no particular order).

What I see in XIII is an extremely repetitive battle system with almost no actual learning curve required (You lose NOTHING for losing a battle - Just bash your head on it until you understand it!), a ****ty story (Yes, I've read the story; unless the game does something vastly different than what I've heard it does, I fail to see why anybody cares about Pulse and Cocoon, other than that people exist in them.

There's also the fact that the chocobo looks ****ing awful. Whoever gave it those earlobe things has to be shot.
Easily better than IV and IX. Probably better than VI.

Here's the thing: I no longer find old school, traditional, generic JRPGs appealing.

IV is complete sh*t by today's standards. There is literally no reason to ever play this game. Weak combat and the simplest possible ability system, if you even want to call it that. Oh yeah, random stat gains when you level! Sometimes stats go down when you level! Awful game mechanics. Class-restricted characters = boring.

VI: Magic is retardedly OP. The game is insanely easy, imbalanced and bug-ridden. Esper system is another overly-simplistic ability system.

IX: Combat is ridiculously slow and the ability system is atrocious. Again, class-restricted characters are boring. This game attempts nothing new. It tried to refine the old-school JRPG, and it succeeded. Lot's of people find that appealing, I don't.

XIII murders these games on game mechanics. I'm not going to discuss story because that's 100% subjective, and I care far more about gameplay.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
IX is my favorite in the series and my favorite overall game, so I'm a bit biased towards it, but I really didn't think the ability system was bad at all. It was simplistic/easy to follow and there was nothing inherently wrong with it. Balance was fine. Got old relatively fast, but there was a good enough variety of abilities that it stayed moderately enjoyable.

The slow combat is a bit of a problem, depending on how you view it. I didn't mind it because I felt like a lot of the animations were very reflective of the characters' personalities, which I liked, and I enjoyed the visuals. Though, it's clearly subjective, and I can see why some people would consider it a flaw. Class-restricted characters aren't that bad imo due to the qualities you can associate the character and its class with (example: Steiner's personality wouldn't fit any class other than a knight), but again, subjective.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Here's why IX's ability system is flawed: You're given minimal customization options, leaving you with little room to mold the characters, which is boring.

Also, you learn abilities by wearing specific equipment. Your stat gains at level-up are also affected by your equipment. This becomes a problem, because if you're trying to learn various abilities (which you should be) and you level up, there is an amazing chance that you didn't receive the optimal stat gain. Too much micro-management is required.

Furthermore, if you want truly optimal stats, you have to play a Level-one game(which isn't entirely possible, since you're forced to take XP from three encounters in Pandemonium) all the way to the fourth disk, until you have access to equipment, that will provide the best possible gains. This is also a problem in VI and VIII, but with Espers and GFs, not equipment. The fact that Level-one games in IX are incredibly unfun and RNG-based, often requiring resetting, is painful. You can kinda trust me on this, considering I actually laid the groundwork for the FFIX low-level game, and receive credit in the LLG FAQ on GameFAQs.

Top Bottom