• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 year old child prodigy at At Melee's End in Calgary, Alberta!

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I don't know how good the average 10-year-old is, so I can't say if they're prodigies or not. They aren't bad though, but I'm not suprised they play marth and sheik. I did see wavedashing, but I didn't even see fast-falling aerials. Mostly their skill is probably the ability to space and time strong attacks (marth's fsmash, sheik's fair). More videos would be interesting.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
That's not surprising.

There are lots of kids playing games. LiL Poison too, but he doesn't play smash.

What I would like to see is an 80 year old.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
hey my brothers the same age heres my videos playing against him, he's ryan/swordsenseni, he can wavedash and shffl too, hes changed his playstyle quite a bit between the older vids and the newer ones and i like his playing better in the old vids so you might wanna watch the older ones too

http://youtube.com/profile?user=HotArmS32

my brother and i also play with another set of siblings here are their vids, mojos 11 yrs old
http://youtube.com/profile?user=kikkosauce

edit: actually my brother just turned 10 on nov so all those other vids that arent from 2008 are him playing when he was only 9

also i just saw the vids of RL Prodigy and i gotta say from what i saw my brother is better than him, and so is the mojo kid i also mentioned

Athos

Smash Cadet
9 and 10 year olds arn't stupid. Look at the 9 year old guitar hero kid.

But yeah, edgeguarding with Marth isn't that difficult, and I played and lost to a 10 year old marth player;

Then again, I was playing as pichu.

LuigiTheButcher

Smash Journeyman
Yah I was just going to say the Shiek totally stunk...and it seemed like the marth kid LOVED forward smash spamming. But then I caught myself and realized they were just ten so whatever skills they had no one else close to thier age has I suppose =/

orintemple

Smash Lord
They're asians, that doesn't count.
lol

9 and 10 year olds arn't stupid. Look at the 9 year old guitar hero kid.

But yeah, edgeguarding with Marth isn't that difficult, and I played and lost to a 10 year old marth player;

Then again, I was playing as pichu.
Yes they are, just not at video games apparently.

These kids are great for their age, although admittedly some of the people they fought were terrible.

Keep it up kids. I want to see what they do with Brawl.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Sigh...don't you have better things to say??

How is there only 12 posts in this thread and I can't decide which one of you to quote and tell you how awesome and supportive you are for telling these kids could've played better, had terrible opponents, f-smash too much and how much they suck compared to YOUR 10 year-old brother?

Get a life.

Also, this video is awesome and might well be one of the most inspiring and spirited tournament montages on the YouTube market. :)

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I ditto the above post.

I admit they weren't bad. But they weren't exactly prodigys. Perhaps if they could waveland constantly, SHFFL with 90% success, and do a barrel roll, I'd consider them as such.

Moar full matches of them would be nice though.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeesh, i should have known better to post a thread outside of the Regional Zones.T^T;

Okay, so i guess i should probably say something, even though there are still going to be a few noobs with ADD out there who will bypass this wall of text, and simply post without any thought.

This is a video for your enjoyment people! If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that. I don't care whether your younger brother can play better or not. Hey, that's great and everything, but I could honestly care less. This isn't a thread about who's younger sibling plays smash better. I'd rather hear comments about how terrible the editing was instead. The two do have smashboards accounts, and i don't want them to read this and feel as though they should stop playing smash. Regardless of this being an open and public website, i don't think theres any reason for negative/hurtful comments, unless they are worded a little kinder much like Phanna's. They are elementary students afterall and are very prone, self-esteem wise.

I did this because i received a lot of comments about the two kids from the participants from the tournament, and i had enough footage to make something with it. I didn't make this as a way to say, "hey look at these two, they're gods", even though it may seem as though i imply it as so. The two are one the youngest competitors in Alberta, as well as Canada itself, they may not be prodigies in your eyes, but in the eyes of the CCSC and the Canadian community, they are.

Yes, they are kids, and yes, kids play video games. No surprise there. However, less than a handful of kids that age actually take the time to become good at said video game. Very rarely will you find kids who can actually have the attention span to play smash competitively, much less without using Fox's Up-B as their main attack. However, it does seem as though R.L.Prodigy is "spamming" his F-Smash, I'm not saying he is not by all means, but what else can one really do with a character with such an abusable F-Smash? Not use it? Well, if you can properly space it for tipper hits, you might as well use it.

Aside from that, in the video, it shows a highlight of the two combo'ing certain players. You should keep in mind that in highlights such as that (as well as in combo video's and the like) it is not meant to show how "good" the person getting combo'd is. "Hey look, that guy got killed so well." It's not like that. The majority of the players losing to R.L.Prodigy and 5950 are in fact, players on the CCSC Power Rankings, and are indeed, good players, simply caught in a stressful situation with the possibility of losing to a player half their age, even players like Hitsugaya and FalseFalco have come down to 2 stocks under such pressure. You can call it a type of mindgame if you'd like, or even a john, but thats the truth.

Again, this is a video for your enjoyment. Have fun and watch it, and don't think so much about. Yeesh.

Also, this video is awesome and might well be one of the most inspiring and spirited tournament montages on the YouTube market. :)
Thanks Randall, that comment coming from a person such as yourself is very self-reassuring. I'm glad you're enjoying my videos.

Lastly, these kids aren't the type of kids who would gloat. At the tournament, these kids played matches and won a few times, but I've never seen them brag about their victory or about how bad their opponent was. They played to win, and when they won and they hear the applause and cheer of their fellow smashers, the smashers they looked up to, and they simple get a nice feeling that makes them play even harder. It's the kind of feeling, especially for kids, that makes them feel as though they did something good and they did. People were positive all around.

We're Canadians after all.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
I don't know how good the average 10-year-old is, so I can't say if they're prodigies or not. They aren't bad though, but I'm not suprised they play marth and sheik. I did see wavedashing, but I didn't even see fast-falling aerials. Mostly their skill is probably the ability to space and time strong attacks (marth's fsmash, sheik's fair). More videos would be interesting.
dont be bad with those kids man, i know they have korean blood and all but take it easy man, in the other life ull be korean, dont hate em XD

TheLake

Smash Master
Haha i loved the video

Shows how much i suck and i dont care if i was pro id be horrifically intimidated if i fought any of those kids at a tourney

Pluse the "Killlers" RULE! Post more stuff!

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Wasn't there another supposed 'melee prodigy'? I think his name was Dany and he played Marth also. He should be about 14-15 by now, I wonder if he has advanced very much in the scene.

Anyways, good kids, I would be afraid to play them, mostly because if you beat them it is like, "Oh, you beat some 10 year olds, good going," but if you lose to them then it is like, "Woooow, you lost to a 10 year old." Kind of like arm wrestling a girl.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
i read the wall of text but i agree with phanna, they really didnt do anything advanced but the wavedash to edgehog. you sya to just be happy and positive, but you can't post a vid and not expect people to comment on the vid, whether it be positive or negative. although "prodigy's" timing seemed pretty dang good for a 10 year old...peace

-hiro

Grandeza

Smash Master
I want to challenge them some time. I'm just a couple years older, see how I match up to them. If I lose It's not a big deal cuz I am practically their age. If I win(which I prbbly woouldn't) cool

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I think it was really cool people signed that kids controller, and that you made a video montage of it, they rocked!

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Piffffff, I could beat both them up simultaneously in real life with both hands tied behind my back. :p

dudutsai

Smash Lord
The point is that they are young. The individual gameplay cuts mean nothing. You can't say someone is not good just because you didn't see amazing technical skill. I'm not saying they are good. I have no idea, but neither do you unless you have played them.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The point is that they are young. The individual gameplay cuts mean nothing. You can't say someone is not good just because you didn't see amazing technical skill. I'm not saying they are good. I have no idea, but neither do you unless you have played them.
From what I can tell they're mediocre. Because their "mindgames" weren't all that either.

Yes, it is impressive that they aren't total idiots when it comes to competitive fighting games because they're only 10. But it's not really that impressive since they're seemingly mediocre at best (good for their age, not very good in the grand scheme of things).

So they're hardly prodigies.

Top Bottom