• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Btw, that list actually was in order. The Lion King is the 2nd highest grossing film of 2019 so far, and is also the highest grossing animated film (despite it being "live action"), so you can definitely expect that Lilo and Stitch remake.

Yaaaaaaay...
Lots of people keep saying how lifeless and unoriginal it is out of the Live Action remakes compared to the original, yet everyone still decides to go and see it anyways...

766992D0-FDC5-4A9E-A9EE-1BA8FD0F9413.gif

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If CGI Stitch will look like the abomination it'll be I can only imagine how Jumba and Pleakley will turn out...

*Shudders*

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lots of people keep saying how lifeless and unoriginal it is out of the Live Action remakes compared to the original, yet everyone still decides to go and see it anyways...
But not us. Not us. Just the people drawn to the nostalgia and titles those movies are.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's the power of monopolies, and I'm not looking forward to that. The only good thing to come out of the merger is Marvel/X-men, which is small compared to the gigantic problems associated with these types of mergers. Better be worth it. :p

(pls Disney, don't Disney-fy X-Men and Deadpool... but if they do, I have a ton of movies to re-watch instead, I guess)
Disney is pretty much the Infinity Gauntlet of companies. No better yet literally the damn Blob of companies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The movies I think has the potential being the biggest hit this year that isn't Disney or Disney related are Hobbs and Shaw, It: Chapter Two and *sigh* Jumanji 3.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is currently there being over 500 million but I'm feeling those three will top it.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm great, how are you doing today?
I'm doing ok. House sitting while my parents are travelling. They should be home sometime tonight.

I also ate at the new local bbq place in town...it was sadly a disappointment. The meat on the ribs I got was tough in places, and the music in the restaurant refused to play half the time. Not to mention there were over-priced items throughout the menu. The positive? Wide variety of sides, including fried okra. You don't see that every day.

It's being sorted into E tier on my restaurant tier list.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If there's one thing about the Lion King's CGI remake that I can undoubtedly praise, it's bringing back Hans Zimmer for the film's score. That, and how damn fine of a job he did composing the film's soundtrack again.

This track, for example, it's brilliant. And it has all of the emotional impact of the original and them some:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So looking forward to DreamWorks inevitably getting the same idea and live-remaking The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon.

Joy...I'm gonna hate what they'll do to Toothless and Shrek will arguably be an abomination that surpasses live-action Jumba and Pleakley.

And I will forever curse the company Disney for this because they started this all by giving DreamWorks that idea to begin with.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The movies I think has the potential being the biggest hit this year that isn't Disney or Disney related are Hobbs and Shaw, It: Chapter Two and *sigh* Jumanji 3.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is currently there being over 500 million but I'm feeling those three will top it.
Jumanji 2 was no where near capturing the brilliance of the original, however, after watching the movie it was... okay. Not great, but not offensively bad as well. And it's interesting to see them changing a few things up, so I'd be interested to see if that extends to the formula, or if it's just a superficial change.

What Jumanji 2 lacked was what the original excelled at--creating tension. There's a stark difference between the climax of the the original and Jumanji 2--I was shaken while watching the climax of the former. If only the CGI of the original held up, it'd be an all time favorite.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Dread it
Run from it

Fire Emblem arrives all the same
This makes me so happy. Fire Emblem could so easily be a niche series that dies off and fades into obscurity, with only a cashgrab mobile game and a handful of dedicated fans to remember it by (and that did almost happen!), but somehow it has become one of Nintendo's top (maybe?) 5 franchises and I can only see it getting bigger from here.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Jumanji 2 was no where near capturing the brilliance of the original, however, after watching the movie it was... okay. Not great, but not offensively bad as well. And it's interesting to see them changing a few things up, so I'd be interested to see if that extends to the formula, or if it's just a superficial change.

What Jumanji 2 lacked was what the original excelled at--creating tension. There's a stark difference between the climax of the the original and Jumanji 2--I was shaken while watching the climax of the former. If only the CGI of the original held up, it'd be an all time favorite.
And yet...

That apparently made nearly a billion dollars. Probably due to starring The Rock. One of my favorite actors. I really wish he'd get better roles tbh though I liked him in Rampage (Bias mostly due to liking giant monster flicks) and Fast and the Furious movies as Luke Hobbs. Hopefully he'll deliver playing Black Adam and I am confident since Shazam! to date is the only DCEU film I love.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
So looking forward to DreamWorks inevitably getting the same idea and live-remaking The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon.

Joy...I'm gonna hate what they'll do to Toothless and Shrek will arguably be an abomination that surpasses live-action Jumba and Pleakley.

And I will forever curse the company Disney for this because they started this all by giving DreamWorks that idea to begin with.
Live action Shrek? Pls no, Shrek 5 is already too much.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What if Dante was in smash
I would use the red alt that's inspired by both Joker's/Hero's red alts, since clearly every DLC character is getting one.

Hi peeps. How is everyone?
Did not succumb to heat stroke while working outside in 110+ degree weather all day, get to rest for one last long weekend before the next semester starts, and excited for the announcements at Gamescom next week, so all in all I'd say pretty decent.

I actually registered for that Nintendo online Smash tournament earlier, so I'll probably be practicing with my Ridley later. Been loving the buffs this latest patch, hope the love spills over to other characters that need them when Banjo-Kazooie drop.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Just release Shrek 5, that'll shake up the industry. It's at prime time too, nostalgic for older gens, recognizable for young gens and even older gens due to them taking their kids to see the first couple of Shrek movies.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I thought the new Jumanji was really great, obviously different from the original, but would you really want the same movie again?

It was a worthy successor with an interesting twist on the ideas of the original.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I thought the new Jumanji was really great, obviously different from the original, but would you really want the same movie again?

It was a worthy successor with an interesting twist on the ideas of the original.
Among the main problems I had with the film IMO is it could had just been its own movie but they made it a sequel to Jumanji to draw people in and cash in on its success. Otherwise it really doesn't connect to the first film besides the game becoming a cartridge game and showing where Alan lived when he was stuck in the game for 20 years.

Plus the fact they made the world look like a generic video game level despite Alan stating "I've seen things and experience things you would only see in your nightmares" and what do we get? Bad guys on motor cycles...

But hey agree to disagree I guess that's just me. It just felt like they retconned the first movie.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
They should make a "live action" remake of Enchanted where all of the scenes that take place in real life are fully animated.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
And yet...

That apparently made nearly a billion dollars. Probably due to starring The Rock. One of my favorite actors. I really wish he'd get better roles tbh though I liked him in Rampage (Bias mostly due to liking giant monster flicks) and Fast and the Furious movies as Luke Hobbs. Hopefully he'll deliver playing Black Adam and I am confident since Shazam! to date is the only DCEU film I love.
If Disney can make billions of dollars rehashing the same stuff, I'm at least glad that, while not completely original, an original take on a former IP did that well. Especially in an age where film companies (like Disney) are afraid of going outside of the box. I'm not a big fan of the Rock, it was actually that which made me skeptical of the movie (less the actor himself and more the roles he has chosen). But it ended up being good--just lacked the drama and tension of the original and was a straight up comedy, which I expected but was hoping for more than that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft
”Can I turn into an animal?”

I have never laughed so hard in my life.

I’m glad I got the Blades of Chaos. They’re so much more satisfying to wield than the Axe. I certainly appreciate what it can do but... it just doesn’t compare. I’m having a lot more fun than I was and I’m absolutely moping the floor with everything now. I’m excited to see what they do in the future with this. Obviously they aren’t going to go completely back to the old gameplay style. But as Rafiki says “The past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it”. I really hope they learn from it and incorporate a few more classic elements into it, like a combo system or a greater variety of weapons/abilities (Seriously wish I had stolen that lightning club from Baldur’s nephew. That would rock as a weapon).

Also. Santa Monica Studios. PLEASE let Atreus turn into a wolf in the sequel.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I thought for a really long time that Jumanji 3 was just a joke that Jack Black made up for his channel

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What if Dante was in smash
Depends on which game he's based on. If it's DMC2 or the reboot, then I'd be confused, but I'd be excited if he was based on any other Devil May Cry game (less so if it's entirely based on DMC1, but even then, I'd be cool with it). With Banjo and Kazooie in, he's probably my most-wanted character at this point.
Hi peeps. How is everyone?
Pretty good. I saw Game Grumps Live on Tuesday, so I'm getting back into the normal routine after that. Work went well this morning, I got Avengers Endgame and Shazam on DVD, and an SD card that I ordered for my Switch is coming in much sooner than I expected. (the original arrival date was estimated at late September or early October, but it should be in by tomorrow)

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Dreamworks never made a live action film, and there's no reason for them to start doing so.

Universal is makkng remakes of it's already live action properties, not Dreamworks Animations. For the most part, Dreamworks really doesn't hop on trends, they tend to do their own thing.

In fact, if anything, Dreamworks helps START trends in the animation industrt, Shrek did a lot to modern animated films.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Disney can make billions of dollars rehashing the same stuff, I'm at least glad that, while not completely original, an original take on a former IP did that well. Especially in an age where film companies (like Disney) are afraid of going outside of the box. I'm not a big fan of the Rock, it was actually that which made me skeptical of the movie (less the actor himself and more the roles he has chosen). But it ended up being good--just lacked the drama and tension of the original and was a straight up comedy, which I expected but was hoping for more than that.
As stated it easily could had been its own movie but obviously it was made a sequel to Jumanji to draw people in and cash in on its success. Especially given the different tone this one had from the first which actually had an heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom