• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Good news.

Replaced my phone and transferred my card to one of my dad's old phones. Still got 16 months until the contract expires until then will be sure to not make that same mistake again that happened yesterday.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I have more of an issue in how quickly the decision was made without adequate time to actually determine if RNG carries Hero as hard as people claim. Some of the reasoning isn't that great either, Kamikazee's easy to dodge, Crit F-Smash actually has negative shield damage, and getting hit by a psyche crit is honestly on the shielder considering how slow the move is, Zoom DOES have counterplay with how slow the startup is, and the landing can be caught by an anti-air, really the only issue he has is Magic Burst, but even that's rare to get.
They actually acknowledged the "it's too soon" argument as well, and I think it's a fair response:

On top of this, they mentioned that in a month or two they'd look at his numbers and have another discussion.

As for the moveset, I agree that Magic Burst is probably the move I have the biggest issue with over all of them. The amount of recovery options it covers are insane and while it does come with a big cost, Hero generates magic very quickly so it's not too much of a downside.

His neutral and side b are both insanely strong (I'd argue stronger than 90% of his menu spells) but at least they're consistent, and you know when they're coming out (stronger versions have a windup animation). That's also why I'm fine with Zoom, as the discovery that it gets more likely when you get within a certain distance of the bottom blast zone makes it so that you can be relatively sure they'll use it. If they do, you can rush to the middle of the stage and catch them with the anti-air.

Like I said, I don't agree that Hero should be banned, but I don't think their reasoning is awful. I also think they shouldn't be getting as much **** as they are considering A. They're a scene only in South Australia and B. This ban most likely won't affect the decision making of large T.O's all that much.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
They actually acknowledged the "it's too soon" argument as well, and I think it's a fair response:

On top of this, they mentioned that in a month or two they'd look at his numbers and have another discussion.

As for the moveset, I agree that Magic Burst is probably the move I have the biggest issue with over all of them. The amount of recovery options it covers are insane and while it does come with a big cost, Hero generates magic very quickly so it's not too much of a downside.

His neutral and side b are both insanely strong (I'd argue stronger than 90% of his menu spells) but at least they're consistent, and you know when they're coming out (stronger versions have a windup animation). That's also why I'm fine with Zoom, as the discovery that it gets more likely when you get within a certain distance of the bottom blast zone makes it so that you can be relatively sure they'll use it. If they do, you can rush to the middle of the stage and catch them with the anti-air.

Like I said, I don't agree that Hero should be banned, but I don't think their reasoning is awful.
Hero generating magic quickly is a big question mark. Unless your enemy has no neutral and walks into Hero's normals, Hero's magic generation can be painfully slow when so much of his neutral, oos, and recovery rely on it.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

[Twitter post]

Like I said, I don't agree that Hero should be banned, but I don't think their reasoning is awful.
Idk about the too soon thing. It's best to ban later now then now, because if you ban now, then you would have less of a chance to figure out counterplay sometime in the future. Those who want to put in serious hours with Hero have to do so in Training or Online (whicb are both not the best), assuming they don't have someone else to play alongisde with them.

Yeah, I'm not pro-ban in the slightest, I'm only ok with banning if a character becomes too overcentralizing in the long run (I was for Frii Miis in Smash 4), but other than that... nah. I can see why they would ban it, but I really don't like that they went to that extrene.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
A Hat in Time is coming to the Switch on Oct. 18th, I can’t wait to finally get the chance to play it. :grin:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How's this for an PSASBR rivalry?

Carmelita Fox (Sly Cooper) vs. Raven (Gravity Rush)

Given they both began as enemies/rivals to the main protagonists from cel-shaded games until overtime becoming allies to them. Carmelita for Sly Cooper, Raven for Kat.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Australia: "Hero is anti competitive so we banned them"
Also Australia: *Had the character that got nerfed just because casuals whined loud enough win a major*
I haven't heard anything great about Australia's smash prowess but I wouldn't focus so much on this K Rool. Raito made top 8 at EVO with Duck Hunt, some people just make the worse characters work

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hero generating magic quickly is a big question mark. Unless your enemy has no neutral and walks into Hero's normals, Hero's magic generation can be painfully slow when so much of his neutral, oos, and recovery rely on it.
I'll admit that point is built only on the few competitive sets I've seen with Hero. If you're a Hero main I'll definitely defer to your judgement.

Recovery wise I really don't think Hero needs much mana, you almost never need level 3 up-b (Zoom is a better option if you need that type of recovery and with the "rng boost" at low you will most likely get it), Zoom is only 8 mana and level 2 up-b is 9. I don't know Hero's ideal oos options so I can't really comment on that. Literally one aerial would generate enough to recover.

Neutral would be a lot weaker at 0 for sure (You'd need like a hit or two just to get one level 2 side-b) I'll admit that. Hero's normals are very slow, leaving him mainly to rely on his aerials (which are okay at best) and largely play on the defensive.

Idk about the too soon thing. It's best to ban later now then now, because if you ban now, then you would have less of a chance to figure out counterplay sometime in the future. Those who want to put in serious hours with Hero have to do so in Training or Online (whicb are both not the best), assuming they don't have someone else to play alongisde with them.

Yeah, I'm not pro-ban in the slightest, I'm only ok with banning if a character becomes too overcentralizing in the long run (I was for Frii Miis in Smash 4), but other than that... nah. I can see why they would ban it, but I really don't like that they went to that extrene.
Well it's not like Hero is banned everywhere else, the meta (and therefore counters) is still gonna develop with him in other regions.

It sucks for the players in that scene that potentially wanted to play him, but they said that their scene was generally in agreement of the ban so yeah.

Honestly I enjoy watching Hero, and considering he's pretty niche in competitive at the moment (granted Joker was too until Leo started dominating everyone) I don't think the ban is the right move. However if your problem with the character is based on their overall moveset ideology moreso than their damage numbers/general ability, then I can get why that wouldn't matter to you.

Ironically enough, the very things that make him a "problem" to face are exactly what make him so exciting to watch.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'll admit that point is built only on the few competitive sets I've seen with Hero. If you're a Hero main I'll definitely defer to your judgement.

Recovery wise I really don't think Hero needs much mana, you almost never need level 3 up-b (Zoom is a better option if you need that type of recovery and with the "rng boost" at low you will most likely get it), Zoom is only 8 mana and level 2 up-b is 9. I don't know Hero's ideal oos options so I can't really comment on that. Literally one aerial would be enough to recover.

Neutral would be a lot weaker at 0 for sure (You'd need like a hit or two just to get one level 2 side-b) I'll admit that. Hero's normals are very slow, leaving him mainly to rely on his aerials (which are okay at best) and largely play on the defense.

Well it's not like Hero is banned everywhere else, the meta (and therefore counters) is still gonna develop with him in other regions.

It sucks for the players in that scene that potentially wanted to play him, but they said that their scene was generally in agreement of the ban so yeah.

Honestly I enjoy watching Hero, and considering he's pretty niche in competitive at the moment (granted Joker was too until Leo started dominating everyone) I don't think the ban is the right move. However if your problem with the character is based on their overall moveset ideology moreso than their damage numbers/general ability, then I can get why that wouldn't matter to you.

Ironically enough, the very things that make him a "problem" to face are exactly what make him so exciting to watch.
Yeah, tbh, the moveset variety and craziness is one reason why Smash is so fun to watch. I rather see Hero get Magic Burst 20 times in a row (yes, I know that's impossible), than sit down another round seeing someone downthrow up-whatever 20x, because at least I know that Hero's case is unique, and it keeps me on my toes.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Let's change the subject: Disney has made 5 films this year that passed the $1B mark.
Endgame
Lion King
Captain Marvel
Aladdin
Toy Story 4.

Far From Home could be number 6, but... it's technically a Sony film.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What new P5R news?

Wait nevermind

Isn’t that event coming soon anyway?
new P5R news
  • new palace, looks vaguely stage-themed
  • kasumi joins at some point around january 16th in the third semester
  • wakaba is alive, haru's dad is alive (in the dream world at least)
  • new third tier personas revealed
  • akechi's confidant is manual now, probably contributes to a true ending ala p4 golden
  • new velvet kid detailed

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Yeah, people are acting like this one tournament scene is a big deal--it's not, and if they all generally agree with it, it's their call, not the call of people on the other side of the world. It'll only handicap them on the global stage, after all.

Yeah, tbh, the moveset variety and craziness is one reason why Smash is so fun to watch. I rather see Hero get Magic Burst 20 times in a row (yes, I know that's impossible), than sit down another round seeing someone downthrow up-whatever 20x, because at least I know that Hero's case is unique, and it keeps me on my toes.
I like seeing that in my games, but that's because I play casually with items on--Hero fits there. I don't watch competitive play for the reasons mentioned, it's the same stuff on the same stages, and there's not enough variety to keep me interested. But to say "this is a scene that requires high skill" and have a luck based character be the exception to their obtuse rules*--on principle, it makes no sense. But that's why I'd rather wait until we have quantitative data and see how it works in practice before making any definitive statements either way. Doesn't affect me whichever way they choose, I'm just here enjoying the show. :lol:

*Obviously there's no hard-and-fast rules, as I heard it explained by pro players--it's often just whatever the general consensus is on a case-by-case basis, and most of the rules people talk about aren't even rules. The obtuseness of what's banned or not is what I'm referring to, specifically.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I shouldn’t post so much while at work but this is too awesome not to share, this is in seven parts so hopefully they all show up when I post the 7th but I’ll retry if I need to,

EDIT: put them them all in.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Let's change the subject: Disney has made 5 films this year that passed the $1B mark.
Endgame
Lion King
Captain Marvel
Aladdin
Toy Story 4.

It's honestly the biggest flex to basically go make a billion dollar film for another studio.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Endgame
Lion King
Captain Marvel
Aladdin
Toy Story 4.

In 2036 Disney will buy America

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
new P5R news
  • new palace, looks vaguely stage-themed
  • kasumi joins at some point around january 16th in the third semester
  • wakaba is alive, haru's dad is alive (in the dream world at least)
  • new third tier personas revealed
  • akechi's confidant is manual now, probably contributes to a true ending ala p4 golden
  • new velvet kid detailed
I LOVE the new persona designs for the main cast.

In this game, there is a third semester to live in which did not take place in Persona 5. You can enjoy various new elements, like events unique to this season or friends’ mid-winter clothes. However, there are some strange parts during life in the third semester. How will the main character (you) navigate this unnatural life?
I don't think they could hammer in the "dream world" idea any harder.

Kasumi's 100% related to both the dream world and the palace then, considering when you recruit her and the fact that she's absent in all of these screenshots. I get a real "corporate" vibe from the palace though so I doubt it's hers so to speak. Maybe someone she knows.

also new velvet kid is adorable I love him

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Morgana will tell you to go to sleep less, apparently.
even atlus thought it was annoying

MEDIA

Like I said, I don't agree that Hero should be banned, but I don't think their reasoning is awful. I also think they shouldn't be getting as much **** as they are considering A. They're a scene only in South Australia and B. This ban most likely won't affect the decision making of large T.O's all that much.
SA: "Its too soon"
Me: "so why the hell did you do it?"

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Kasumi's 100% related to both the dream world and the palace then, considering when you recruit her and the fact that she's absent in all of these screenshots. I get a real "corporate" vibe from the palace though so I doubt it's hers so to speak. Maybe someone she knows.
the stage-theme/ballroom vibe it's got going makes me think it's related (given that kasumi's a dancer and her persona is cinderella), but it could be more related to the ugly commercial side of theatre and how she's rebelling against that

D

Deleted member

Remember tha ToonTown game I got cast for? I can’t stop playing it now. Help.

#ArmadilloArmy

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I give it less then a decade until Disney dominates the entire box office.
That's the power of monopolies, and I'm not looking forward to that. The only good thing to come out of the merger is Marvel/X-men, which is small compared to the gigantic problems associated with these types of mergers. Better be worth it. :p

(pls Disney, don't Disney-fy X-Men and Deadpool... but if they do, I have a ton of movies to re-watch instead, I guess)

EDIT:
In 2036 Disney will buy America
They already have--it's called lobbying. :lol:

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Btw, that list actually was in order. The Lion King is the 2nd highest grossing film of 2019 so far, and is also the highest grossing animated film (despite it being "live action"), so you can definitely expect that Lilo and Stitch remake.

Yaaaaaaay...

Noipoi

Howdy!
Btw, that list actually was in order. The Lion King is the 2nd highest grossing film of 2019 so far, and is also the highest grossing animated film (despite it being "live action"), so you can definitely expect that Lilo and Stitch remake.

Yaaaaaaay...
If they **** up Stitch I swear to god-who am I kidding they’re gonna **** up Stitch...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Yaaaaaaay...
*Curls up in the corner how Stitch, Jumba and Pleakley will look in live-action CGI*

Find a happy place. Find a happy place...

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
tfw kasumi doesn't actually get involved in the plot until january so in the strangest roundabout way she actually ended up giving haru more screentime with royal's extra social events

1565908780166.png

masterful play, atlus, masterful play

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Yaaaaaaay...
oh n o I really don't want to see that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom