• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

yoshq

Smash Master
Hmm just wondering what do you guys think about adding Crouch canceling to every move of luigi's?

So far on testing it with crouch cancel Luigi can get his shield out on the following moves.
fire
bair land
fair land
upair land
sadly it doesn't affect the the lag after Luigi cyclone and a landing up b. I honestly find this useful.
are you saying holding down after doing these moves reduces the lag?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Diddy info
You need to rush down diddy with Luigi before he can set up his banana camping game.

Honestly other then the fact luigi can kill diddy early, he doesnt really have many advantages. (well other then jab of course)
Fireball isn't really that special in this match up. It'll help you camp though if you manage to get a banana in hand. Utilt can still juggle relatively well.

Oh, and Luigi's cyclone wrecks Diddy's recovery.
Always combo Luigi with dash attacks and ftilts when you throw a banana at him unless you're right up in his face when you hit him with it. Gimp Luigi's recovery with banana plucks when he uses tornado and if you don't have time you can use your Fair to hit his side-b, unless it ends up being a misfire. Castle Siege and FD are your best stages, your next best are SV and PS1. When you're in killing range, just stay out of range of his smashes and wait til he approaches.
Luigi wins in air game since they're much quicker in terms of start up and cool down. He also is a lot more mobile in the air than Diddy, and he can combo with them very well.
Diddy wins in terms of controlling the stage, but you can't go around smashing every time he slips since he slides so far. At far distances you can dash attack him, at closer distances you can ftilt him, at even closer distances you can grab him, and when he's right up in your face you can smash him, but it's never really a good idea to be close to him since his attacks are extremely limited to their range like his Fsmash.

Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:

Utilt: Combined with Uair and Usmash it's great for juggling

Ftilt: It's Diddy's longest ranged attack and you need to capitalize on your range against Luigi.
Luigi is one of the few characters that is so exceptionally floaty that diddy has problems comboing him. The main problem for diddy bananas is going to be the single/double banana lock. Diddy has problems comboing luigi due to his floatiness. Watch out for diddy's f-air for ko's.

Diddy can use his banana however in a different way. If you recover wrong or tornado by the edge, diddy can take out a banana and hit you out of the tornado and then gimp you otherwise.

Luigi's back air and fireballs help a lot here. N-air is a good move up close and tap a combos are moderate. Down air helps also.

Seriously, learn to glide toss if you want to beat a good diddy. Glide toss combos help a lot vs bananas. you can also throw a banana into running a and up close you can smash down a banana into a down smash.

As said, nado also helps.

Your aerial game up close is much better than diddy
Your short range distance is better than diddy.
Your long distance game is worse due to bananas
Your mid-range distance allows fireballs but at the same time diddy has range enough for aerials.
Best neutral is either BF or Yoshi's. BF messes with diddy's spacing and Yoshi's has a low ceiling
if your forced to have either FD or SV.... pick SV. FD allows diddy to space way too well.

Best counterpicks for you are anything small, a low celinig, or something that allows you to get diddy off the stage. Haliberd (due to the low ceiling) and if you like neutrals, Battlefield. I have even tried Rainbow cruise a few times

Stay away from overly large stages or stages that allow diddy to recover easier. Ban FD.
Luigi kills quicker than diddy but diddy has insane spacing. Make sure you win the first round or there will be problems with Diddy's counterpicks

videos
ADHD(Diddy) vs. Boss(Luigi) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3FhVWMBLE
ADHD(Diddy) vs. Boss(Luigi) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cF7rvLu2QI
Jband vs ADHD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGyLiroZcro
Boss v.s Gnes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qA_B1qVn_Y

Boss v.s Lie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydJmYSIw7vU&feature=related

i think this will give you an idea of wat to do and not to do. also watching the whole set can show you also how to pressure Diddy.

Game one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfDUMBuVEbA
Game two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAglBLaSV40
Game three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrNP_bh4qKY

This was MM for $5.
Stages
BF

Ban
FD
Ps1

Luigisama

Smash Champion
D3 match up info.
i usually play a daily d3 most of the time, it'll be most likely a rock paper scissors matchs, since spotdodge > grab, if u can predict it correctly, but alot of ddd's will bait out ur spotdodge and what not, preferably it's great to just space right outside his shield grab range and just bait something out and punish accordingly with a tornado or some aerial
(teneban)
DDD can't really kill us, at least not onstage. We have a hard time KOing him too, but being able to jab-upB him is a big plus. He dies at 80% on FD, 60-70 on Halberd. As long as you're consistent at pshielding the bair, nothing should be really difficult to overcome. [/QUOTE]

DDD can chaingrab luigi with a perfect dashing shiledgrab. DDD can infinite luigi 5 times before you can mash out of it.

Moves to worry about-back air and ddd's sheild grabbing, play a well spaced game and mix up recovery options. I find it best to recover under vs ddd because that is the hardest spot for him to back air you.
against d3, avoid missile while recovering whenever possible, because he can always bair it - even a misfire. when approaching, you can do air moves just as long as you don't land anywhere near his shield. I suggest a grab for the approach though. once you've grabbed him you can usually get him to air dodge after your dthrow and grab him again, then after that do some uairs to hopefully another grab. and another random tip, the fsmash is very good against his shield when he, for example, runs up randomly and tries to grab you. it is the best move luigi has for pushing a shielded d3 away from himself.
videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmprgJGysMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIxHMo7prQE (boss v.s coney)

Stage to pick against D3

BF
PS1
Brinstar*
Halberd*
*if you're not comfortable with this stage don't pick it.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Falco mu info
i'll just say right off the bat that i lose to falcos sometimes, but i'll try to help anyway.
if all he's doing is running around and shielding at the beginning of the stock looking for the grab, then if you feel confident that you will land the grab when you try it and he's not spot dodging too much, do it. then if he's in said mindset, he will almost surely air dodge after you dthrow, so you can get another grab. then you can do w/e mixups and stuff.

if you're not confident you can get the grab and he's spotdodging too much, utilts are your friend. usually after he gets that chaingrab to spike, he changes, so read his playstyle.

if he's zooming back and forth and lasering, crawl, nado, and roll utilt. if he's basing the playstyle on random air moves, you can shield or spotdodge and just trade some random hits (or maybe something else since I'm not good against this playstyle).

as for the kill game, you can always spot dodge him when he runs up for an upsmash and upb him. as for the fsmash, just be patient and don't always try to punish it.

to punish the phantasm, the green missile ALWAYS hits him out of it as long as he's not above you. the nair is good too, as long as you're a bit above him and he can't hit your upper body.

get some other input on this because i'm not particularly good at this mu.
just in case we do Falco, this will help anyone.

It is really the matchup of great jabs, in this matchup, expect jabs and large grab/aerial combos.

I have possibly the most experience vs Falco of anyone here except for BigLou since I think Kismet still uses Falco mostly.

Outside of facing Metaknights, the majority of characters I play vs are Falco's, I have faced all of the top Falco's in NJ outside of possibly Atomsk's Falco.

Luigi+ (overall)
IF Luigi can get in close, Luigi can kill VERY easily
Up tilt is great for combos.
Falco's side b is out prioritized by most of Luigi's moves preventing him from Phantasm camping
Luigi can crawl beneath lasers.
Luigi's n-air can out prioritize non grab combos.
If Falco does not know how to chain grab perfectly, Luigi can get out of it.
Luigi has an overall better recovery, just don't down b too highly, save it.
Better Aerials overall
Jab combos help.
Back air/down air helps a lot.
Pick Yoshi's or BF, followed by PS1/LC.

Falco + (overall)
Better on low platform stages and overall not bad on BF either due to camping abilities
Falco's jab is Dumb, almost if not more dumb than Luigi's.
If Luigi is grabbed, expect 60 damage.
Lasers are annoying regardless, especially Laser to boosted up smash for kill.
Falco can back air our non-charged side b and down air both other recoveires
DACUS is a pain
Boosted up smash is great vs Luigi
Back air helps well vs Luigi.
Down b prevents fireball camping
FD, SV, and any flat stages is easily 60-40 and 65-35 possibly for Falco due to his camping ability.

Falco is a really annoying matchup for Luigi, DACUS moves luigi far away to prevent punishing, down air chain grabs work and so does down throw to down air.

if you get grabbed in other words vs. a Good falco, expect 60 damage or possibly more with reads.

Back air Falco's recovery, down b or back air Falco's side b (Down b is GREAT in this matchup is it prevents Falco from Side b camping).
I couldn't have said it better, this is exactly what I think of the matchup. I think falco wins it 6/4 at worst, depending on the stage.

You can't jab grab falco or do any jab combos to him 100 percent since he is a fast faller and has a frame 2 jab
Videos
biglou v.s kismet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGrGaaXB-8&list=FLMip_6oighvA&index=7
yoshq v.s sk92
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHjX9Y_a0Y

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Pit Mu Info
My opinions about Luigi vs Pit.

Strike FD cuz you know guys already that Luigi sucks on FD against ppl w/ projectiles. Pit is floaty and light weight and we can juggle him. We got better combos, strength, DI, and killing power than Pit. Just PS his arrows as you attempt to approach him. Watch out for his Bair and his smashes.
His smashes are weak, we can handle his smash attacks rly well cuz we got beasty DI, his best smash is side smash. Pit will have trouble killing off Luigi, we got all the tools to take off a stock off of him which is our smashes and back throw. His knockback is not that gud @ all.

What neutral stages we should bring Pit:

BF, YI, and SV (if you're comfortable playing him on that stage)

What CPs we should bring Pit:

Frigate & Brinstar.

What stages to ban:

FD and RC

My opinion for this MU: 50/50 or Luigi's favor 55/45
You can shoot a fireball to hit him out of his recovery on any stage in the same similar fashion, and its risky to try to gimp pit in most instances.

From what I am understanding of your suggestion to using this stage vs pit is:

1) Sometimes the stage can mess him up. Well, this is true for any instance vs any character and it can happen to pit. But it can also happen to any character as well, so this shouldn't be a thought that goes through your mind when counter picking pit.

2) Frigate is one of the hardest stages for Luigi to land a gimp on. The risk/reward is extremely tilted into the risk section. When exactly would you try and gimp pit on this level, that is not different from other stationary levels? What is the difference between gimping pit on a neutral, compared to any other neutral in the game. The only difference here is that Luigi is put into a horrible position should the stage cause Luigi to go off the level.

It can be very hard to avoid a gimp from pit, and because of the level switching and putting Luigi in a vulnerable spot in the air, it's just risking too much vs Pit.

This is actually not a bad counter pick for Luigi in a good bit of match-ups, but not vs characters that can fly, have 5 jumps and an up b recovery with quite a bit of mobility.

I would recommend a neutral vs pit in general, or a counter pick a small boundary and level terrain such as brinstar.
I personally like Halberd, Yoshi's, or BF vs Pit. Basically any small stage, platform stage, or low ceiling.

Pick a stage that prevents Pit from camping. DI out of his f-smash and Pit has trouble killing. use a lot of back air, down b, and fireballs.
well in md/va we only hav two or three pits and everytime i play them they want to goto fd,bf,rc,and ps1.
pits love to arrow loop to any smash attack at you so watch for that

To pressure a pit main just mind game him dont be predictable then he can not approach nor hurt you. Spacing bairs and fairs are a good way to pressure pit
Yoshq v.s Amanze 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncwwRxC5AY&feature=related
Yoshq v.s Amanze 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgl5aNEdmw8

Boss v.s Luckay4lyphe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkzu2yHrOOI&feature=related

Stages
BF

Ban
FD
PS1

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Are there any other videos of luigi vs marth? Those are from way back in 2008 :/
Sadly no not really. Well maybe I'll try to see if there are current ones and I only chose those since they're are actual good players that have in depth knowledge of their character. Good point though Marth's play differently today. lol fair spam

yoshq

Smash Master
i dont use luigi vs good marths... anyway so the olimar matchup. i played an olimar the other day and i think missile is good vs his pivot grab. if you space it right, you go above his grab, cuz you're a missile, and you tap him with your head... which usually surprises him enough so he doesn't run and grab you again, though he can. and at high percent idk if he can even punish it that well. also ftilt kills like 5 pikmin at once when they're on you.

and question, does anyone know how to hit olimar's shield with nair and jab him before he can grab?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Uhh, maybe time the nair so the last frames of the hitbox hit the shield as you're landing? Or what about trying to land behind him and buffering a turn around jab?

Meh, all I know from experience is nair usually goes through his usmash. :/

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i dont use luigi vs good marths... anyway so the olimar matchup. i played an olimar the other day and i think missile is good vs his pivot grab. if you space it right, you go above his grab, cuz you're a missile, and you tap him with your head... which usually surprises him enough so he doesn't run and grab you again, though he can. and at high percent idk if he can even punish it that well. also ftilt kills like 5 pikmin at once when they're on you.

and question, does anyone know how to hit olimar's shield with nair and jab him before he can grab?
wow you must have gotten lucky with those missiles, but I see what your saying.
To hit olimar with a nair on his shield. Hmm I was thinking maybe oos nair could help. Other than that you probably have a better chance of hitting him with a weak nair since the olimar probably can't tell when nair ends.
Also don't forget though when you get a jab at close range it is auto up b and several other moves.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Lucas mu info

His Nair cancels our PKT however PKT gets him out of his Missle and Tornado and since the Tornado can only be used once before he gets back onto the stage. this puts him a bad position if he is far away/below the stage.
Luigi has horrible approach so camping him is ideal (though he could PS it all and get in) and if he gets in our defense.

Watch out for his tornado approaches that are quite annoying since they stop PKF.

However Luigi can rack damage up nicely and with his early KO moves can kill us pretty easily. And his Shoryuken is dangerous
This matchup is pretty even. Lucas can try to out-camp Luigi, but Luigi can just powershield PK fire, but I know Lucas can out-space Luigi because of Lucas's range is better than Luigi's.

OK, IMO lucas has a small advantage in this match. The first reason is that he has good, low lag aerials with more range than luigi's.
The biggest thing to take advantage of though, is their HUGE vulnerability on a couple of moves. The first is usmash. Lucas leaves himself completely open when he misses it, however it's easy to get yourself caught up in the back end of it in trying to punish. So be careful. The second is pk thunder. Lucas is immobile and vulnerable for at least a second, to a second and a half, when he uses pk thunder. This is especially because he has absolutely no expectation that you'll approach him from the front when he uses it, since it can be such a devastating attack. Get your shoryuken timing right and this should get you at least one easy KO in any match.

You simply can not be spammy with fireballs in this match. Psi magnet will take too much advantage of this.

The general strategy is stay airborne, if there are platforms, stay above him, and feign vulnerability. Being airborne will allow you to use your air supremacy and be aggressive. Staying above will bait him into using his laggy moves. If you can get right into his face, you want to, just like everyone (except snake). Just stay away from the 1-2 meters away, right in front of him (PK fire) range and you should do fine.
Luigi can ftlit pk fire and he won't get hurt.
Also be careful of dsmash while you recover to the edge. Luigi can Lucas at low percentages and stop his recovery with a fireball or with down b. Lucas can pk thunder Luigi's recover proving a stage spike or ruining his chance at recovery.

Video references
Boss v.s Pinkfresh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a66Ubn-VKNc
Boss v.s mekos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUpWerwtXlQ&feature=related

Stages for Luigi
BF
YI
SV

Ban
FD
Brinstar

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think, I have a great experience against Marth, because I play in many tournaments against Leon and Bjay.

I think, this MU is definitely not impossible for Luigi. True is, once Marth gets you in his follows up attacks, it will be difficult to come out. But just be patient. Marth must approach you! No need to hurry. Most likely, he will try to hit with SJ Fair --> grab or SJ Uair --> Utilt --> Fsmash.

The most important thing against Marth, is to read when he will uses his Fair. Actually, Bair is one of the option. Also Fair (Fair of Marth and Luigi have the same prio, the only thing, you must hit earlier than Marth, because Marth's Fair outranged Luigi easily) so both player take dammage.
What really important is, Marth Fair --> You PS --> Utilt --> Usmash with low % is helpful. Don't get offstage, a good Marth kills you without any problem. DownB, Fair, Bair, Dair, UpB .... That's the only thing that can't allowed to happen againt Marth ^.^

This MU for Luigi is really awful. You can't play safe! You must accept to take dammage.

(Sry for my english)

juiey2

Smash Cadet
Peach's picture is aaaaaawesooome....

Anyways i want to know why snake has advantage over luigi if luigi can own him in diverse ways when he's recoveryng?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Peach's picture is aaaaaawesooome....

Anyways i want to know why snake has advantage over luigi if luigi can own him in diverse ways when he's recoveryng?
Because Snake's are smart enough to not recover near Luigi so they recover diagonally really high. You're never going to see a snake that grabs the edge. Not mention Snake can rack up damage on Luigi like nothing. The only thing Luigi has going is his incredible fsmash knockback, sudden up b's, and our instant jab1 to dsmash, but it only works when Luigi's connects with hitbox 1 of his jab.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Snake outcamped luigi easily. Also, Jab and Tilts are the only attacks needed to counter Luigi x)

Crysis, who became quiet famous in the past month is a Snake Mainer. Luigi can block all of his nades, actually, if you play very clever, it is even possible to timeout snake on BF (awesome) but very difficult to do.

@juiey2: The only thing u can hope to touch against a good snake is that ur fair/dair will touch. Since Luigi hasn't the wall-jump (but his stupid brother does have one -.-) his option to gimp snake are ridicilous. Just hope, to be on the same high than Snake, when he begins to recover, like this, u can hit him with follow 3 Fairs :)

If you know well the moves from Snake, I would say, it's 60-40 for Snake. It's been almost 1 year now, that I weren't been beaten by a Snake, so it should prove its possible for Luigi ^^

Luigisama

Smash Champion
When I can I'm going to give brief info on every character mu that we have not covered that way maybe someone can take the info to correct it, expand on it, or learn from it. I'll also try to see if the other boards can help.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Mk mu(yes I'm going to cover this lol)
If you wanna go offensive
Approach with bairs and use dair as a counter if mk starts to dtilt across the stage. Shield nado and punish if possible, if you know mk is about to do nado run away first then reverse upsmash because the invici frames of Luigi's upsmash will hit through the nado. Fireballs are useful if you want to add percent on mk and always look for a fsmash kill. Lastly reading the mk is vital in the mu that way if you read him right you can get an up b kill. Jab1 to up only works if Mk SDI into you and up b kills around 55% with DI, but around 45% without DI. jab to Dsmash almost always works, but SDI helps so that it connects.

If you want to play defensive
bait mk and use fireballs to damage not to keep him away. That way he is forced to approach and when he approaches observe how he chooses to approach. If they dash and spot dodge when you trying to attack them punish their spot dodge with you down b. jab1 to ftilt a lot when mk is at high percentages because its a extra 13% and it can mess with an mk mentally knowing that fsmash or up b could kill them. Also it creates space between the both of you.

Overall this MU is in Mk's favor, but if you're awesome at reading and mindgames like boss then you might just win.

Luigi can stop the nado only with
upsmash (invici frames on 6 to 11)
Ftilt
Obviously Luigi can hurt mk from above the nado

during the start up of the nado
Fireball
Down b
Jab
(if you can PSC go for it)
Key points about the nado.
1. As mk rises in the air he gains more priority which is why some moves can't break through the nado. But as the nado starts to cool down it loses priority making it possible to break through the nado.

2. From what I've observed mk only uses his nado either to rack up damage or to pressure you shield because the mk knows that his opponent is going to try to shield the nado.

3.It is best to tilt your shield to block the nado, but you can't really shield the whole nado because as your shield's hp get drained your shield isn't covering your legs so the bottom of the nado can hurt you. But this only happens if the mk lowers his nado.

Best way to recover against mk
1. side b edge grab (might stop any shuttle loop kill)
2. save your jump and rise with the cyclone then up b.

^If you don't want to do this. Then just watch Mk and try your best to get back on the stage.

What you you mostly have to watch out at the for at the edge is shuttle loops and dairs. Also be ready to tech otherwise you might get stage spiked by mk.

This is another match-up where Luigi needs to play defensively. However, this is one fight where Luigi mains are forced to play differently than they normally would. Metaknight's aerials have greater range and priority than most of Luigi's; spacing and zoning are key in this match. Try to keep the match as grounded as possible; you will have more options and have less problems than you would in the air. Fireballs become one of your more helpful moves; aside from dodging/rolling or attacking them, Metaknight does not have a way to deal with them. Use your fireballs to rack up damage on MK from afar Metaknights Neutral-B (Mach Tornado) is actually cancelled with a fireball if it is non-rising, but be aware that if it rises at all, it will not cancel. Otherwise the best way to avoid the Mach Tornado is to run and dodge. Be wary of juggling with U-Tilt at higher percents, as MK's D-air comes out fast and will hurt you. However, at lower percents, U-Tilt > U-Tilt > U-Smash is a reliable way to rack up damage. All of MK's Special B moves give him helplessness, so be ready to take advantage of that if at all possible. Metaknight is fairly light, so incorporating the Fire Jump Punch is also important. As the match progresses and damage percents start to rise, you will eventually end up in the air. DI away from MK's attacks, or dodge. If you cannot, try N-air as a neutralizer to his aerials. It's important to work around Metaknight's gimping prowess, so if you are knocked off stage and need to make a recovery, be extra careful. Try to use Side-B (the Green Missile) so that if he does attempt to gimp you, you can still use your Luigi tornado as a recovery. Even still, MK has extreme gimping potential and recovery will prove difficult, even for Luigi.
Let's say there is a space between you and MK that's about as far as the second aerial of your short hop will take you, or about one fair short hop for MK, given that you short hop towards your opponent. Now standard habit of any Luigi would probably be to short hop some combination of aerials to approach, but that doesn't work here. So Metaknight short hops toward you, you short hop backwards and maintain spacing, and Metaknight's Fair hits air. Now Mk is on the ground, and you're in the air still ready to do any aerial, DI forward and close the gap and hit MK. At least that's the basic idea of it. Now what is important is to keep a pattern so only MK is the one being hit, because what do you do if things are off?

First, I don't ever use any move that is going to have any real amount of lag to it. That means, you really only should be using your all of your aerials, your jab, up-angled fsmashes, uptilt, and the slowest move you probably use is the downsmash, which still has quick startup time. I never use luigi's normal Fsmash or his ftilt, downtilt, green missile, or charge any smash moves. All the rest, which Upsmash, and up-B, need MK in a position that is clearly punishable, like that he's falling in general stun after his B moves, or during the lag after Fsmash or uptilt. Also, the landing lag of your aerials are pretty okay, but don't land any fairs that won't autocancel(usually Fairs are fast enough that this won't happen unless you try to fast fall it or do one in the last 1/3rd of Luigi's short hop). The tornado is an exception in all of this- it's good for chasing and punishing lag too, but it's also risky if it gets shielded completely because you do have lag on the end of it. I believe it starts the fastest if you use it just before you land on the ground, and there are definitely occasions I'll use it, but I try to do it when I'm moderately close and will get at least 4/5 of the hits on them, and even more so if their shield is somewhat weakened already because it greatly increases my chance to get a shield-poke with the move. Your tornado can also be completely eaten by Meta-knights Mach Tornado, so that's another reason I'm just at tad more hesistant to use it in this match-up than most.

This may seem pretty basic, but there is no reason for Luigi to give up punishable lag, so don't do it. Second is maintaining the right amount of space. Fireballs are an optimal choice for this. They don't carry a whole lot of hitstun, but they are disruptive to both momentum and attacks. Don't use them too close, because it won't stun long enough to avoid getting punished for the lag. However, when MK likes to just rush you on the ground for a dash attack or grab from too far away, you can just pretty much just stand and toss them. The best place or context for luigi's fireballs, however, are in one half of your retreating shorthop- in the first half, it can catch MK doing a shorthop, or keep him from jumping, and then you can do a falling nair or tornado. Or you can find that you have shorthopped into an aerial, but aren't in a good timing for it for whatever reason, use a fireball. A second effective component for spacing is luigi's Jab. I use jabs a lot to as a reliable choice when I've gotten too close, and usually just after I've landed an aerial, because they come out fast and aren't punishable if the first one hits, and if it doesn't, you aren't likely to have exposed yourself.

Now back to the original idea, to move backwards with MK moving forward. With a double aerial in a short hop, you really start to have the flexibility to handle the speed and range of MK. A shorthop to a dair is usually pretty effective- it either misses, and of course your aerial is fast enough it doesn't matter, or Metaknight just ran into it trying to use his dash attack or grab. If he's run towards you, and for some reason has rolled towards you, bair or nair will hit him. In terms of the best option after you've gotten out of the way of a shorthop approach of MKs, your fair's reach is actually a bit farther than you might have assumed(he snaps his hand out and down, which is ideal for targets in front of and slightly below you, the hand also gets pretty big, it just happens fast), or you can, again, use a nair.

Now then. If MK pulls out his Mach Tornado or Drill Rush, shield it, or if you get above his Mach Tornado, Dair it. Countering these two moves depends simply on how often you expose yourself by doing laggy attacks, and how quickly you react.

You should note how to avoid getting juggled and how to juggle MK. Despite his aerial power, MK can still at least be annoyed with uairs(it is > his dairs). The trick is is to stick to uairs ONLY and to stay almost perfectly below MK at all times. This also helps avoid glide attacks(he can't go perfectly vertical in a glide so you should be pretty much able to avoid a glide attack completely once you are perfectly under him), shuttle loops, the whole deal. I see this "stay directly below them" thing done all the time by CPUs but strangely neglected by players- you can simply upsmash from a dash on the ground even, and it forces the opponent to head for the ledge. As for avoiding being juggled, a combination of a well timed airdodge, fast falling, and falling tornadoes should help.

Now just two remaining very specific insights to handling the MK match-up. One is getting in for the up-angled fsmash. This is your ideal KO move because it is fast, and has a lot of vertical KO power. It's so fast, in fact, that if you were to spam it, it still is likely to hit. Tossing it out at MK in a way that makes him very wary of it, and forces MK into an instinctive reaction to roll behind luigi which can be punished by simply using your up-angled fsmash right behind you.(Just hold up on the control stick and little bit to the direction you want to use Fsmash, and hit over-C to smash, to change directions just tilt the control stick a little bit the other direction) If you're on a little bit of a slope and below MK, the up-angled Fsmash becomes even easier to land and will catch MK in a lot of different attempts to approach you. However, the way I most commonly land the up-angled fsmash in the midst of things is to mix up the usual spacing and simply walk just a step towards MK and use an up-angled Fsmash while luigi slides a bit. It should happen fast enough that it catches MK by surprise while he moves thinking you'll do something else.

The second thing is recovery. MK gets his best kills(possibly below 100%) by using a reverse shuttle loop either while you are above the stage(easy for him to do) or while you are coming in from below the stage(harder, he has to grab the ledge). So to solve this problem, learn to sweetspot the ledge from a charged green missile(aim a little lower than the ledge itself). A chance of misfire/strength of a fully charged over-B is pretty annoying for MK to get hit by, too. Between this and not exposing yourself in the air by never doing anything more than a shorthop and at worst use a fast fall airdodge back to the ground(ie. no double jump from the ground, no full jump from the ground, no botched attempts to juggle), MK's chances to KO you DO get reduced considerably. Then it becomes all about strong hits from his Nair and dsmash. This adds to how long you will live per stock a lot, and really really helps.
2 good ways to recover

a. Jump than tornado as high as you can than use smart air dodges or tornados....

B. Hold a side b or go real low than jump upB sweet spot...

problem with B is that sometimes they hit you during upB or some bull**** happens.

Best way is A, but you must change your recovery almost everytime.
Read Mk's grab, spotdodge and Punish with upB
Abuse OOS everything!!! (NAIR OOS IS AMAZING!!!!)
rely on jab grab even in yummy upB opportunities because against Mks its not reliable.
basically up B anything with lagg from MK shield his glide attack or powershield it then upB OOS....

also grabs play a big factor now that you've got the MK worried about being up-b'ed.....

also read his airdodges.....

luigi's NAIR goes through the shuttle loop nad the top near tornado...

luigi's fireballs also can stop tornado......causing him to forword B punish his lagg with an up-B as he lands.....

basically you gonna wanna keep MK Shielding the whole time to a point where he thinks its safe...but its really not......
Wow just stumbled upon this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265353&highlight=Match+up
^good read

Videos
Boss v.s Omni
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hffBbhUN77o&list=FLjB5ITZthAFo-7YOBg-43yQ&index=45
Boss v.s M2k 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7LFscYIJU&list=FLjB5ITZthAFo-7YOBg-43yQ&index=35
Boss v.s M2k 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLww62QDbs&list=FLjB5ITZthAFo-7YOBg-43yQ&index=43
Seibrek v.s Biglou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZQbh_OQwI&list=FLjB5ITZthAFo-7YOBg-43yQ&index=14

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
that's ridiculous.

Playing offensive against MK Oo u crazy bro? I lol'd with the Bair and Dair part xD (n1)

Shield the nado and punish? (Oh yeah, let see, has luigi an attack fastest than 0 landing lag after nado?) That's the rule in this fu****g MU. To has a little chance to punish or hit properly MK you need to get touch by him. Best way to punish nado= letting be hit by the last frames of the nado and of course SDI out of it and try to read where mk will stop his nado.

Also, MK isn't invicible in his stupid nado. If you are above him, you shoud be able to touch him with Dair (note: MK will use Uair to punish your punish x) ) Bair also can get trough, same for Fireball (which I recommend to do, because it's safer, and gives you a very good chance to see instant blocking the nado (mk will probably press repeatly B and move right or left) Because of this block, An Side B will appear, and thats one of the moves you can easily punish with luigi.

Side B to grab the edge as recovery? Just to be realistic, once you get offstage, try to read mks movement, if you don't, you'll die. There are plenty of possibilities for MK to gimp Luigi (better not start to make a list *insert sad smile*) Best thing (just my opinion) is to Fair until you are able to do a Jump UpB recovery. However if you mix you moves, it should give you a 35 % chance to come onstage. (cyclone is you death bro ........)

counterattack is a good solution. Use many jabs and know everything about MK. You can't allow yourself to do mistakes. (If god loves you, and the luck kisses your ***, a missfire can be you savior!)

greetz Dest!

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Shield the nado and punish? (Oh yeah, let see, has luigi an attack fastest than 0 landing lag after nado?) That's the rule in this fu****g MU. To has a little chance to punish or hit properly MK you need to get touch by him. Best way to punish nado= letting be hit by the last frames of the nado and of course SDI out of it and try to read where mk will stop his nado.
Yes you can punish the nado after mk finishes it since he goes into free fall. I've done it before. It is impossible to SDI nado, but I will agree that you can DI after the last hit which is when the nado stops completely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kAX5O1ftpo (keep the annotations on)

Also, MK isn't invicible in his stupid nado. If you are above him, you shoud be able to touch him with Dair. Bair also can get through, same for Fireball (which I recommend to do, because it's safer, and gives you a very good chance to see instant blocking the nado (mk will probably press repeatly B and move right or left) Because of this block, An Side B will appear, and thats one of the moves you can easily punish with luigi.
Yeah I already stated that you hit mk from above the nado. Bair and fireball can only go through the nado during the start up of the nado because it has less priority. Also it is true if you hit the nado it will cancel it out forcing mk to do a side b, but it is hard to punish that when he goes across the stage.

Side B to grab the edge as recovery? Just to be realistic, once you get offstage, try to read mks movement, if you don't, you'll die. There are plenty of possibilities for MK to gimp Luigi (better not start to make a list *insert sad smile*) Best thing (just my opinion) is to Fair until you are able to do a Jump UpB recovery. However if you mix you moves, it should give you a 35 % chance to come onstage. (cyclone is you death bro ........)
greetz Dest!
I agree, but the Fair thing I've tried doing that and all I get is a fair hitting mk and his shuttle loop hitting me at the same time. Then mk does another shuttle loop and I die. Also you're right just read mk movement, but I always end up recovering in the two ways I listed and I manage to make it back safe to the stage.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I didn't know this was discussed but good thing I searched.
Pikachu mu info

My random thoughts on the MU:

Even though his jab is fast, our ground game still beats Luigi's. Most of his jab combos can be avoided by proper SDI, which is really important if you don't want to get jab > Shoryuken'd. Dtilt, fsmash, and grabs work well while you're on the ground.
In the air is where Luigi gives us the most trouble. his aerials beat ours, and his nair is a legitimate combo breaker
His tornado goes straight through tjolts, so be wary of camping at mid-range, especially since the last hit will pop you into the air (which is bad) if you don't DI out of it. If he tornadoes while you're grounded, just shield it and punish its horrible end lag.
He has more killing power, but his KO moves seem to be ~equally as hard to land as ours if both sides know what to watch out for. Fsmash and up b hurt the most DI out of his jab combos, he'll have to rely on predicting a roll/spotdodge/bad tech choice to land either one of them.
Our camp beats his. The only thing you have to watch out for, like I said, is his tornado, but if it comes to a camp war..... we'll win.
Yes, BF is where the **** happens...Luigi's platform game is amazing...

3 Things not to do against a good Luigi
1. Don't Roll
2. Dont Spotdodge
3. Dont choose BF, lol

I have no clue how to explain the MU from a pika's point of view but from luigis the only problem I have against pikachu is counterattacking after shielding...Most of pikas moves knock us back due to our traction...
this is pretty much stardard camping thing and spacing (like always against luigi lol) pika should be keeping luigi away from getting inside with tjolts, running away with QAC and ulitizing his speed and for the love of god, don't be dumb and always challenge luigi to the air, because you'll get nair if you don't space properly. in theory its really hard for luigi to land kill moves
luigi shouldnt be gimping pikachu too much, but more like the other way because pikachu has ALOT of tools to deal with luigi's recovery, you should use thunder to make a wall since luigi's aerial movement is 2nd worst in the game, throw out some tjolts.
pikachu should be looking for big flat stages like ps1 as said before, FD so you can camp and give luigi a harder time getting inside, ban anything with platforms/small stages it'll give him easier time to get inside, and bypass some of pikachu's camping.
I don't find it hard to land kill moves on pikachu at all. Alot of his ground game is very punishable. If you shield a dsmash you can land a fsmash, if you spot dodge a running grab you can get an up b.

Plus pika doesn't really have an attack aerial with the quickness or priority to really escape a juggle trap, so you're left to play the airdodge game (for the most part).

Pika's biggest advantage seems to be his projectile gimping game. Any time luigi is offstage two or three hits should be almost guaranteed.
luigi's only real followups after a jab is : jab 1 to a Dsmash/Dtilt/Ftilt and prolly jab cancels that's about it. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo

everything else pikachu should di away.
We have to camp harder in this match than any other match in the game. Luigi is the best in-boxer in the game. You gotta be more like on outboxer with your tail and F-tilt. The shield slide is too much and when he goes in the air shield = good.
This is another "wait and punish" match-up for Luigi. Pikachu's D-smash has higher priority than all of Luigi's attacks and can be used as a defensive option against him. Otherwise, Luigi can work around Pikachu to defeat him. A lot of players worry about Pikachu's thunder attack, but it is easy to avoid by DI horizontally and air-dodging. Pikachu's projectile is cancelled out by Luigi's tornado and by his aerials, so it is not easy for Pikachu to camp Luigi with it. Additionally, Pikachu cannot combo Luigi to higher percents very well like he can against other characters. Try and bait your opponent into using moves with punishable lag. Pikachu's F-smash has noticeable start up lag, so just be aware of when it comes and it shouldn't be too hard to avoid it. Just be weary of the D-smash, which eats shields and has very little start up lag. Also Pikachu is a fairly good ledgeguarder and can be difficult to fight off stage. Overall this match up is fairly even, just be patient and work around your opponents more laggy moves.
This wasn't included in this, but Luigi's cyclone beats pikachu's side b.
Videos
Boss v.s Anther1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egx0bgALiA&list=FLjB5ITZthAFo-7YOBg-43yQ&index=30
Boss v.s Anther 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_I6x3cQ3Q&feature=related
Boss v.s Anther 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_I6x3cQ3Q&feature=related

Lamb(Pika) vs Zhao(Puigi) - grand finals 2 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nl-2C1zXQM

Lamb(Pika) vs Zhao(Puigi) - grand finals 3 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5qP_SobA8

Stages
BF

Ban
FD and any other flat stage pikachu can camp on.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Lucario Mu info.

The common Dair is dangerous if he's above you. the Fair is pretty homo, His aura sphere will be used to camp and his instant steriods (lmao) when hes behind in stocks.
He wins against ground game and projectile game. His fully charged or half way charged Aura sphere can be tricky against spotdodgers because they'll somewhat mess up on dodging it. Also it cancels out fireballs and tornado. He also wins in the air ONLY if hes below you because his upair > everything we got. Upsmash can stop a fully charged aura sphere

Personally, I thought Lucario sucked at gimping until I saw that I'm unable to camp holding the edge because a shorthop Dair leads to a stage spike forcing Luigi to either a ko or a rising tornado last resort move.

If anything,avoid yoshi's island because of Lucario's wall cling techique. Also avoid places with campers like FD, sometimes Smashville (although I'd pick this as a counter or whatever or a great startoff because I know how to abuse that moving platform decently). Probably I'd pick lylat cruise and battlefield because Luigi dominates purely there and its aerial combo heaven for him not to mention lylat tilts occasionally messing up Lucario's recovery. Maybe I'd like to avoid Delflino probably cus there's wall clinging stuff for Lucario and the mass amount of space the stage has that Lucario can use to camp
Lucario has amazing grap opportunities and powershielding makes me a little nervous to approach with short hopped nairs. I have found, however, that I can easily approach with the tornado as long as Lucario does NOT have a fully charged aura blast in store for me, considering it will clang against a weaker charge.
I feel that I cannot gimp Lucario no matter what I try to do. Lucario has great recovery, and wall of paining the back air does not seem to cut it for me at this point. It works at high percents, but I simply cannot gimp him. I do, however, think that Lucario is outmatched by Luigi in the air. I also think Lucario's floatiness is really a problem against Luigi, but you can juggle him very easily.
As far as stages go, I go with battlefield or lylat. Pretty much anything with platforms. Works wonders :)
Many of his aerials are pertty good, space well against uair, almost always expect two aerials per jump (usually nair as the second), and punish his recovery, his options are good in distance but really punishable.
his utilt is great for setups, and remember, he has crap-for-oos options since almost every attack pushes him away from you when he shields it, plus even if he PS's, his options are still meh.
His jab options are really good, I'd say all of them are somewhat viable at high level of play, but learning to play against them is key to avoiding.
Also, obviously his dthrow is good, but it will be hard to land the grab in the first place because of his lol shield sliding making shield grabbing a really hard option.
Luigi is a hard character to actually fight face to face. In the air, Luigi has a flat advantage. His Bair will out-range any attack you can throw at him from the air and trying to trade hits with him doesn't help either since his attacks do more damage then Lucario's. Luigi cannot approach you from underneath, because of Lucario's Dair, So he will try to swipe you from the side. On the floor, you have a slight advantage for your tilts and other sources of attacks out range his, but be weary on following up your attacks because he can break out of potential combos quite easily.

Luigi actually has no followup's and pure combos on Lucario. Lucario's ability to slide out of attacks makes it hard for Luigi to also follow up anything that might be a combo on normal characters. The best thing for Luigi to do would be able to do is to Dthrow Lucario at low %'s and then try to bait you into getting hit by another. Jumping out of most of Luigi's common follow ups will solve this problem, but keep in mind that you will have to switch it up to keep your opponent guessing on what you might do. Luigi also has the potential to kill Lucario at retardedly early percents. Lucario can Die to an angle'd Fsmash around 120 with proper DI. He die's earlier if you have improper Di (Obviously) Luigi's UpB can kill Lucario if he hits you around the 50% mark. Dsmash will kill late because of how you can input DI into that move, and Up smash around 135-145%.
In the projectile section, Luigi's is awful. AS beats Fireball out, and even without AS fireball isn't a scary thing. Luigi will most likely use them just for anti-air approaches.

Luigi's UpB

I want to clarify something right now about this. Jab > UpB is not a combo on every character, that is only a rumor. Allow me to explain:

Luigi's first jab has 3 different hit boxes, each sending a character at a set distance and at a set angle, despite of damage. At the end of Luigi's first jab, it will send you at a 30ish degree angle. IN the middle of the jab it will send you at a 60ish degree angle. At the very close range Jab, it will send you at a 90 degree angle. The 90 degree angle is what makes character fall into a potential UpB combo. Since it is a set distance, DI is not a variable after the first jab, so saying "You can DI it to avoid it" is a myth. The issue when this information was found, was that character falling speed was somehow left out. Now that is what makes Jab>UpB doesn't combo. Some characters fall too fast and can shield the the UpB. Other characters fall too slow, and because of that it gives enough time to DI away or into Luigi to make it miss. Lucario is one of the characters that fall too slow, so don't get caught by it
Gimping section:
Luigi has a good gimping game, not to mention a really good recovery. He can follow you out to death lines and come back without dying. Just a heads up.
Luigi's jabs is one of luigi's best weapons on the ground. If you get in up close it could hurt a lot... Luigi has a frame guaranteed dsmash, dtilt, or ftilt out of first jab on lucario, and if he hits with the more ranged hitboxes, he has a guaranteed up B or grab.
it's pretty straightforward match, Lucario (like every other opponent) has to space/camp like a mother****er, while Luigi works to get inside and do his thang and stuff. Luigi and Lucario go pretty head to head in the air, but like Luigi is his where he excels at, but IMO don't go head to head in the air. You'll either eat or trade off aerials.

My advice for a Lucario is to keep it grounded game. Lucario has excellent movement obviously because of that gayastic"roll". Lucario's other tools should consistent spacing Fsmash like a beast, but l'd advise that for saving kills.
my input would be lucario in flat stages for him to camp and space luigi. And use his silly roll and stuff. Luigi excels in platforms, for combo game and avoid some camping at times. Pretty straightforward, oh and avoid low ceiling since most luigis attacks are vertical.
Stages for Luigi
BF
Lylat cruise

Ban
FD

Video references
Boss v.s Junebug1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWeXa0DGWMY&feature=related
Boss v.s Junebug 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJUrFoOZpc&feature=related
Ally v.s Dank :troll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZACWjYhx7qE&feature=player_detailpage#t=192s

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Bloshi I mean Yoshi Mu info
What you DON'T want to do in this particular match-up is leave yourself open to any attack by Luigi. His f-smash and up-B are dangerous, even if they have short range. Only use your f-smash if you are 100% positive that it would hit him. Yoshi Bomb is a bad idea if he can shield it correctly. Also, d-smash could be dangerous to use if he powershields. N-air is also dangerous if you don't sweet-spot his shield or if he spot-dodges.

So, the moves that will kill Luigi in this match-up are:

U-air: Always safe to use if you position yourself correctly. Also, none of his air moves out-prioritize this move, so don't be afraid of a counter-attack.

Up-smash: Works extremely well if you are on the ground and he is in the air. No move of Luigi can out-prioritize this move, so use it to punish any aerial he may throw at you. It is safe on block, so use this freely on the ground, too. Just make sure he doesn't powershield it.

D-air: More like a gimp move, but it can be used to counter Luigi's Cyclone if he uses it as a recovery.
Luigi has:

Better combos, defensive game, approach, and KO moves.

Luigi's U-tilt, N-air, and Jab combos have better setup value than most of Yoshi's stuff. N-air -> Up-smash is a pretty reasonable threat, along with Jab -> lots of nonsense.

Luigi slides away a lot when he shields, so good luck pressuring him easily. The usual shield pressure mindgames with Yoshi like his Jab don't bother Luigi that much since he can stay safe by shielding.

Yoshi can't easily punish Luigi for approaching since Luigi is in the air a lot when he approaches, and since you can't jump out of shield, and N-air punishes spotdodges a lot. If he does an approach on the ground, it is Tornado, and will probably be used to punish the lag of Egg Toss.

Yoshi has more range on most attacks, but doesn't have as good of a result with most of them. Luigi is much less laggy on most of his stuff, so he has more flexibility in terms of options.

As for KO moves...Yoshi can sometimes get a U-air or Up-smash on a Luigi that gets too reliant on N-air for dropping down. Luigi however can also get a KO through his combos into random nonsense or because his F-smash and U-smash are good anti-air KO moves.

Basically, Yoshi wants to keep Luigi out, but can't do this consistently, and when Luigi gets in, he has a significantly higher advantage.
eggs beat fireballs and cyclone, pivot grab beats everything luigi does (except fireballs, but luigi's fireballs don't do much in this matchup when you can just egg them) , hes in the air trying to wall bairs? pivot grab. He's coming in with a cyclone? pivot grab.

Uair beats or trades hits with his dair, bair beats or trades hits with his bair, our nair is similar, but has a bigger hitbox, we can usmash through every airial except dair (which is easy to pivot grab, they are falling on top of you... what do you expect them to do? Usmash beats cyclone too.

Luigi isn't heavy, he will be dieing earlier then us (unless we get fsmashed/up b'd, but up b only works from 2 inches away and fsmash doesn't have much more range...). Don't go after his side b, misfire happens more than you'd expect, uair and usmash will be stale, but luigi likes to get inside of you... just land a yoshi bomb when he rolls or something.

The only reason this matchup might not be in our advantage, is that one small mistake offstage will get you cycloned and take away your second jump costing you a stock. Offstage, just think of cyclone as mk's nado except it will gimp you instead of hitting you up. Stay away from it, DJAD through it, what ever. Just don't get hit by it.
just thought I'd point out that luigi can jab-dsmash us, or even jab-upB if we happen to DI up or don't block right away. So while it doesn't have so much range, if he hits something's gonna happen.
Luigi can get out camped by Yoshi and his eggs.
Luigi can counter Yoshi's bair with his upsmash because of the hit box on Luigi's stomach.
Yoshi is in up b kill percent starting at 60%. It is possible to kill yoshi around 45% to 55% but good Di can save him.
Luigi has to watch out for Yoshi's upair, down b, Yoshi with a well timed grab can catch Luigi during a misfire and Yoshi will not get hurt at least I remember he doesn't get hurt.

Luigi has a short cg on Yoshi with Fthrow. The way this works is if Luigi does fthrow and buffers a dash. The cg ends at 18%.
Luigi doesn't have a lot of kill moves on yoshi since Yoshi has really good DI. The only kill moves Luigi has is fsmash, up b, misfire, and nair. The only other kill move is up tilt and upsmash, but yoshi has to be at high percentage. Also forgot to mention that Yoshi's bair has shield poke so Luigi should tilt his shield up so that it doesn't hurt him.
Just DJ away from Luigi once he gets in. He's too slow to stay with us as we're leaving. He should be getting a couple of hits in at a time when we're at low percents, but beyond that, if you're seriously being ****ed up once he gets in, think about what you're doing..
This match-up is scary against a good Luigi player, but as long as you play safely you shouldn't have too much trouble. You're going to need to be very precise so that you don't get punished, though.

As everyone has said, you need to camp Luigi. Don't bother ever approaching unless you're not in the lead anymore. He's basically Dedede with more dangerous kill moves and a far less annoying grab since he's so slow and gets camped hard (he has his Cyclone, though, so that helps him quite a bit since it's so fast). You'll want to bait Luigi into unfavorable positions (like him being above you) to make it easy to punish his movements. Luigi will try the same to you by attempting to apply constant pressure, but as was said before if you find yourself in a bad position try double-jumping away to reposition yourself. Luigi really can't do much about characters whose air-speed match his own ground-speed.

So yeah, it's a problematic match-up when one of the least mobile characters is paired up against one of the most mobile. Mobility is the key to succeeding in this match-up. As long as you don't try to do anything stupid like dash-grabbing into Luigi from a neutral position (have fun getting up-B'ed), he really can't do much to you. I think Luigi's most reliable kill move in this match-up is his n-air, which can kill Yoshi around 145% if he keeps it fresh, I think.

Oh, one more thing. While recovering, Luigi's side-B can get beaten out by Yoshi's f-air. It takes really precise timing, though. Otherwise the f-air doesn't come out in time or they trade, and trading with Luigi is usually a bad thing, so only do it if you are sure you're going to net the kill.

Video references
Yoster v.s Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wIrnCZmHg

Luigi Sama v.s Raptor1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRkLV9w2LU
Luigi Sama v.s Raptor 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1rzrIN-7U
Biglou v.s Scatz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVGGglbqtE
Zhao v.s Firefly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB0T2hfciK4

Stages
BF
Frigate

Ban
FD

boss8

Smash Hero
i can speak on some parts cause i've fought several yoshi's......

Yoshi mains have alot of gimmicks to keep themselves in the match such as...

-edge egg throws
-pivot grabs
-pivot egg throws
-jab jab grab follow ups

i find mario easier to use vs yoshi but maybe thats just me.

capegimmicks smirk

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i can speak on some parts cause i've fought several yoshi's......

Yoshi mains have alot of gimmicks to keep themselves in the match such as...

-edge egg throws
-pivot grabs
-pivot egg throws
-jab jab grab follow ups

i find mario easier to use vs yoshi but maybe thats just me.

capegimmicks smirk
Dat fludd destorys eggs.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Zero suit Samus mu info

It seems like ZSS has a lot of advantages over luigi. Luigi's good priority in the air is mostly nulled by our better aerial priority, and his aerial attack speed isn't so useful due to superior spacing tools, and ground and air speed letting us pick the fights. We can jab his fireballs and spin.
Against his recover, while it's good distance wise, we can tack on solid damage by punishing it. Instead of challenging his rising down b, punish the substantial ending lag and knock him out, forcing him to side b which is also punishable. His up b is easily hoggable which will force him to land on stage, where you can bair him off again during his hefty landing lag.
1. space as far away with side B and Neutral B as possible
2.Punish him when he gets close with OoS Up tilt when he is in the air
3. Watch out for Tilted F smash at around 80% on
4. Take Advantage of your speed in the air and ground.
5. And always be ready for a really fast tornado.
You want to get inside.

She has lots of long disjointedness, but lacks it at a diagonal in front of her, so short hopped approaches are important. Like anyone you want to get inside, but you don't ever want to be standing directly in front of her. Dsmash is what you want to watch out for. It comes out very quickly and hits at her feet.

When gimping WATCH OUT for the downb. Most zamus' will use this alot, as it aides in recovery and spikes very hard. When off the stage, you never want to be directly below zamus. Also, dont just hang on the ledge. Ledgeguarding her is important, but make sure you're using your invinc frames.

Otherwise, stay away from fireball use. Bair is a good weapon. Don't chill out on platforms above her. When recovering from vertiacal, move laterally.
Most of the info here helps, but I'm going to try to add some info to this. I never played PatG or nickriddle. But I have played enough ZSS online and this exp has helped me against any ZSS mains that I have encountered in tourneys.

Luigi has to be careful when getting in because ZSS will just stop his advances with side b or well spaced Dsmashes. Use fireballs for both damage and for fakes so you can get inside. If the ZSS that you're fighting against uses side b or neutral b a lot bait it by running towards them then jump Dair, but don't FF the dair or you'll land in the tether of the side b. You can also do this with Nair.

Save your bthrow when ZSS is at high percents because ZSS is really good at DI and it won't kill her so just use Dthrow to nair or upsmash. Jabs are really useful, but don't expect to get up b since Zss is a fast faller and has short landing lag so it might work and it might not. Jab to cyclone can work, but only if ZSS DI into you. If you do manage to get the cyclone if ZSS airdodges do it again to rack up damage or at least punish the airdodge.

Also Jab to dsmash, dtlit, and ftilt always works on the first hit box of jab 1 and sometimes on the second hit box. Mix it up when you get the chance to do any of these moves.
1. you could spam jab1 to dsmash and rack up damage.
2. jab1 to dtlit at a high percentage it will cause Zss to bounce of the ground and try to buffer a upsmash or fsmash. Nair after dtilt they might not expect it.
3. Use jab1 to ftilt to create space. This can be your "get away from" move or use it to push ZSS to the edge and edge guard.

Most importantly jab cancel to jab cancel. By doing this not only do you get some damage on ZSS, but you could get a up b out of this if ZSS starts to DI away from you. Stop the jab cancel and they'll go in that direction, read it and up b as punish.

Lastly and I can't stress this enough. Be careful of dsmash to down b down b spike. I almost always fall for this because I tend to undermine the chances of it happening. Look out for it if ZSS hits you towards the edge and look out for it when you recover.

Video references
none atm.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJr9UdRrw8 I'll put this video for now.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I remember seeing a video of Zss v.s a Luigi in a tourney thread. I just wished I remember the name of the tourney. I'll probably try to look for it some other day.

Top Bottom